Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor in the Media

• Start Topic

[Wisconsin ruined my brackets.]

I may have to watch DWTS, now, just to see if Nick can learn to dance without pressing his lips together.  His mouth is always his biggest problem.

Once again I noticed how broad Vanessa's shoulders are.

• Love 1

Vanessa has a true hourglass figure. And I think she does CrossFit, so that probably adds some bulk. I think it's nice to see a woman on this show who is truly fit and strong, not just skinny.

• Love 10

Yeah I've actually never thought her shoulders were broad. She's definitely not the usual size 0 of most of the women on the show. I actually love her body - she's got curves in all the right places, butt, hips, boobs, but her tummy is flat as a board. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Yeah I've actually never thought her shoulders were broad. She's definitely not the usual size 0 of most of the women on the show. I actually love her body - she's got curves in all the right places, butt, hips, boobs, but her tummy is flat as a board. 

12 minutes ago, fib said:

Im floored by her physique.  She really looked amazing in everything she wore.  

I was especially impressed with how she looked in that blue standard-issue Finnish one-piece. That swimsuit was *not* made to flatter, and yet her body still looked killer. I'm not a huge fan of Vanessa's personality, but her figure is amazing.

• Love 7

Ugh, that is why I would never want to be famous. They are supposed to be smiley and giggly while walking to the gym because looking like two normal people walking to the gym means their relationship is a scam? The fuck? Why would anyone elect to live that way?

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Funny thing is 3rd picture down they are laughing at something. So the headline doesn't even go with the pics lol.

Oh, the article claimed they saw the cameras and were pretending. Though if that was a fake laugh/smile they really should be doing movies or TV.

1 hour ago, Artsda said:

LOL that's silly. 

Interesting, Nick & Vanessa hid out in Toronto for 10 days while season was airing. Probably easier to hide in Canada, not much paparazzi.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/2017/03/19/the-bachelors-nick-and-vanessa-are-struggling-so-what.html

Sharleen shared a very similar sentiment in her recap, to the one in that article. Now admittedly, Sharleen is a bit biased because she and Nick are very close friends. But I do think she had a point in saying that so many viewers snark about the show and its entire concept and yet seemed so surprised and judgmental by a couple coming out and being honest about the strains on the relationship because of the fact that it's not a conventional engagement.

I laughed in her video recap when she mentioned how many couples come out with grins from ear to ear saying how in love they are and would get married tomorrow and they break up a few months later or in some cases days. The latter really made me laugh because I felt like she was definitely talking about Andi and Josh who were all smiles days before announcing their split. I mean look at how Ben (I would marry her tomorrow) Higgins has changed his tune about him and Lauren.

Now it's "we're taking our time and just enjoying each other". People saw warning signs from Vanessa saying how she and Nick almost forgot to exchange numbers before they left Finland but to me that was another striking reminder of just how crazy this show really is, if you think about it. You get engaged to someone that you've spent at best a few days with, all while they're dating other people and possibly sleeping with other people.

Then a few days after you get engaged, you're separated and can only see each other every few weeks on lock down which has to cause some type of cabin fever. Then that's not including the show airing, so reliving your fiance making out with a number of people and declaring how much he/she cares or is so into this person. And then the rumors in the tabloids start, fans start coming to your social media declaring you're either awful or amazing, etc.

And yes, they're the idiots who chose to sign up for it but it's why I just don't think it's strange for any couple to say that things aren't ideal until the season ends. J.P. summed it up best in saying that any couple from this show's relationship actually only truly starts when the season ends. That's why I've been saying for years that I feel like if the show did away with the proposal/marriage pressure and just kept it a show about looking for love, there would be way more successful couples. But the show tries to sell this fantasy/HEA notion despite it really being anything but.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6

I applaud them for not gushing about how perfect everything has been, and not rushing into marrying someone. I love that Vanessa is pretty much admitting they barely know each other. It is such an odd, odd thing, and for me, it is a sign of how serious they are that they aren't pretending everything is wonderful and they can't wait to get married. I think it is partly the fact that they are both older than your typical contestants, so they have a bit more perspective about how stupid it is to rush into marriage with someone you barely know. I think they have a better chance of lasting than most because they aren't rushing or pretending.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

Doubtful as Maks works very hard to pretend Ukranian Bachelor never happened. 

I know; I was being facetious. Maks walked off the set during his ATFR after telling the audience how much he hated the experience. I was just wondering whether Nick was aware of that, or if he blithely asked him during dinner "So Maks, I've heard you were the first Ukranian Bachelor. How was that?"

5 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

lol, really? I never heard about that. I still have no idea what the hell he was thinking.

Yes, he said the show was "raping everyone's lives" - his and and the women's - and walked off. I was able to watch his season online since the Ukrainian TV channel it aired on didn't do geo-blocking at the time. Since Maks doesn't actually speak Ukrainian, the show was mostly in Russian, so I could understand everything. He behaved pretty well during the season, but by the time of the AFTR, he and his final pick were already broken up and he was well and truly over everything.

Edited by chocolatine
17 hours ago, MsPH said:

http://www.eonline.com/news/837658/inside-nick-viall-and-vanessa-grimaldi-s-new-life-after-the-bachelor

This bit made me chuckle, since we were talking about Sean and Cat:

Even on Ellen today Peta referenced the fact that she has worked alongside a Bachelor in the past (ie Sean) and that the experience was more challenging because of the whole "jumping from one TV show to the next" thing, suggesting that Catherine wasn't handling the transition very well. She also mentioned on the show that she was happy that Vanessa is "awesome" and that, in contrast to her previous experience, she is handling things very well. I'm paraphrasing of course but I did like the sounds of it. :) 

• Love 2

William Shatner has gone on a long Twitter rant against Nick. He doesn't want DWTS viewers to vote for him. The tweets are quite hilarious, e.g. "he lives up to the homonym of his last name". Apparently Shatner is a long-time Bachelor/ette watcher - "watch Andi's Bachelorette Season where he started this Viall journey.' You gotta hand it to Nick, he gets big-name celebrities to talk about him. First Brie Larson, now Shatner.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, chocolatine said:

William Shatner has gone on a long Twitter rant against Nick. He doesn't want DWTS viewers to vote for him. The tweets are quite hilarious, e.g. "he lives up to the homonym of his last name". Apparently Shatner is a long-time Bachelor/ette watcher - "watch Andi's Bachelorette Season where he started this Viall journey.' You gotta hand it to Nick, he gets big-name celebrities to talk about him. First Brie Larson, now Shatner.

Nick's response:

http://extratv.com/2017/03/23/nick-viall-speaks-out-on-william-shatner-feud-its-heartbreaking/

Apparently Shatner just tweeted and extended a sort-of olive branch.

Tweet

Sounds to me like a lot of people, William Shatner completely misunderstands Nick and also completely misunderstands the meaning of words like misogyny. Reading that tweet above makes me suspect that like others, Shatner thinks Nick has been this hugely offensive towards women type of guy and I am and continue to be baffled by these assertions. 

The same thing happened on the DWTS board, just after he was confirmed for the new cast, with someone posting that they didn't really watch The Bachelor but heard that Nick was a huge misogynist. I think for some reason, people blame Nick for whatever slut shaming was done of Andi and Kaitlyn after their respective seasons, especially regarding their actions with him. 

Now I can maybe understand the Andi part since he publicly declared they slept together, even though I disagree because in my opinion, his judgement was not on her for having sex but for deliberately leading him on when she didn't have to, but whatever. However, I cannot understand how anyone thinks Nick was misogynistic because others judged Kaitlyn for sleeping with him before the Fantasy Suites.

Not only was Kaitlyn a more than willing party (in fact as the lead, she initiated it by first inviting him up to her room and then leading him into the bedroom) but when the episode aired, Nick defended her on social media and those who loved her and Shawn together acted like he was out of line and inappropriate to do that. So it was like he couldn't win.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Sounds to me like a lot of people, William Shatner completely misunderstands Nick and also completely misunderstands the meaning of words like misogyny

It boggles my mind because Nick is the least misogynistic guy to have been on this show. Honestly, the most misogynistic thing he's done was agree to be on this misogynistic show, but he, himself, has treated the women like adults, with respect and actually listens to them. He didn't slut shame Andi, he asked a very valid question about why she slept with him when they'd pretty much agreed doing so meant she loved him but then she dumped him. If a woman had asked the same question of the male lead she'd be applauded for standing up for herself. But how dare a guy question a woman about her intentions.

I just laugh every time someone tries to say Nick is this horrible misogynistic womanize her because two women led him on, screwed him and dumped him, three if you count Liz blowing him off after drunken wedding sex.

• Love 18
6 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I just find it hilarious that big celebrities like Shatner and Brie Larson even waste their breath on a dopey reality TV famewhore like Nick.

I'm actually beginning to think these are all publicity stunts coordinated by his publicist. If so, that's pretty smart of him/her to keep Nick relevant and his name in the media.

Nick must have a pretty powerful publicist to get Oscar winner Brie Larson and Captain Kirk himself to play along with some stunts to get their D-List reality star client publicity. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

If a woman had asked the same question of the male lead she'd be applauded for standing up for herself. But how dare a guy question a woman about her intentions.

I personally find it tacky for anyone to divulge something that should be private in an extremely public forum.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Nick must have a pretty powerful publicist to get Oscar winner Brie Larson and Captain Kirk himself to play along with some stunts to get their D-List reality star client publicity. 

Seriously. Her social media posts are either about her films or causes she's passionate about. She doesn't take herself too seriously but neither does she comment much on pop culture. That wasn't purchased.

4 hours ago, ByTor said:

I personally find it tacky for anyone to divulge something that should be private in an extremely public forum.

Agreed.  

I don't think Nick is a misogynist, but I can't think of a Bachelor that overtly was one.  I've watched the show since the beginning, save a few seasons, so maybe I missed the misogynistic Bachelors.  I'm not convinced the premise of the Bachelor is inherently misogynistic, either.  Sexist? Sure.      

In any case, Nick seems to rub particularly men the wrong way, while women who know him (but haven't been involved with him romantically) appear quick to defend him.  It's fascinating. Before the season, I was kind of hoping to read some quote or interview from BiP Jen, who was in a unique position as part of the "family," but wasn't involved with Nick as a Bachelorette.  Alas, I guess she decided to keep it classy and go about her business, dammit.    

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Before the season, I was kind of hoping to read some quote or interview from BiP Jen, who was in a unique position as part of the "family," but wasn't involved with Nick as a Bachelorette.  Alas, I guess she decided to keep it classy and go about her business, dammit.    

She did, but she's put up enough conveniently-timed, loaded-with-meaning Instagram posts and tweets to let us know she's not happy with the guy.

8 hours ago, ByTor said:

I agree that it wasn't his finest moment and there was probably some pettiness involved since Andi was being such an icy beyotch to him. That said, I still think the slut-shaming accusations are ridiculous and that he never meant it in that manner. He just took issue with being led on to that extent, which I can understand. As far as I know, he didn't sleep with either Raven or Rachel, so he hasn't even been a hypocrite about it.

In any case, he's apologised to Andi several times both privately and publicly and they've buried the hatchet, so I can't really understand anyone still dwelling on it. It was almost 3 years ago and he hasn't done anything objectionable since IMO. I actually think he's one of the nicest and most mature contestants to come out of this franchise in a long time, so I'm always a bit baffled when people seem to think the complete opposite. He's received so much hate and judgment from viewers and other contestants alike, been treated like trash by his show-exes and had total meatheads try to pick fights with him, yet he's always kept his cool and tried to extend an olive branch. I honestly don't know how he's even able to be so gracious towards people who've said horrible things about him, but he always is. Instead of holding grudges, he'd rather challenge people to hash things out with him, and the ones who take him up on his offer usually end up changing their tune. It's rare to see such maturity in reality TV world. I also think he was one of the more considerate Bachelors, not leading people on any more than he contractually had to and feeling bad when he had to hurt their feelings, since he genuinely liked them as people even if not romantic interests. I also think he found what he was looking for, someone who is not only his physical type to a T, but will discuss everything with him in an open and direct manner. Based on everything I've seen since the finale, they seem very happy and supportive of each other. In fact they're in Milwaukee as we speak attending a basketball game, doing a meet and greet and visiting Nick's family.

Oh and as for Jen, I think she was just a bit heartbroken, since she was more into Nick than vice versa. Her own mother said after BIP that Nick treated her daughter with nothing but respect, so I really don't believe Nick intentionally hurt her. They may have kept in touch to some extent after the show, but they clearly weren't dating or anything. Jen probably wished they were, which is why she was so disappointed when he became the Bachelor instead. She missed out on nothing however, since Nick was clearly just not that into her. It's no one's fault, she's just not Nick's type personality-wise.

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, MsPH said:

I honestly don't know how he's even able to be so gracious towards people who've said horrible things about him, but he always is.

In a phone interview she did with a Montreal radio station today, Vanessa said one of the things Nick has tried to guide her on and prepare her for is the social media stuff. She said he basically advised her about responding or reacting in an emotional way to any of the hate and to just remember that these people don't know her or her family.

She said it has been hard at times but she's trying to just ignore it. I can believe it because I followed her social media during the season and it was fascinating watching the shift from, "you're so awesome" to "you're a fake bitch but the producers hid it because you won because Reality Steve said so..." Good times. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MsPH said:

I agree that it wasn't his finest moment and there was probably some pettiness involved since Andi was being such an icy beyotch to him. That said, I still think the slut-shaming accusations are ridiculous and that he never meant it in that manner. He just took issue with being led on to that extent, which I can understand. As far as I know, he didn't sleep with either Raven or Rachel, so he hasn't even been a hypocrite about it.

In any case, he's apologised to Andi several times both privately and publicly and they've buried the hatchet, so I can't really understand anyone still dwelling on it. It was almost 3 years ago and he hasn't done anything objectionable since IMO. I actually think he's one of the nicest and most mature contestants to come out of this franchise in a long time, so I'm always a bit baffled when people seem to think the complete opposite. He's received so much hate and judgment from viewers and other contestants alike, been treated like trash by his show-exes and had total meatheads try to pick fights with him, yet he's always kept his cool and tried to extend an olive branch. I honestly don't know how he's even able to be so gracious towards people who've said horrible things about him, but he always is. Instead of holding grudges, he'd rather challenge people to hash things out with him, and the ones who take him up on his offer usually end up changing their tune. It's rare to see such maturity in reality TV world. I also think he was one of the more considerate Bachelors, not leading people on any more than he contractually had to and feeling bad when he had to hurt their feelings, since he genuinely liked them as people even if not romantic interests. I also think he found what he was looking for, someone who is not only his physical type to a T, but will discuss everything with him in an open and direct manner. Based on everything I've seen since the finale, they seem very happy and supportive of each other. In fact they're in Milwaukee as we speak attending a basketball game, doing a meet and greet and visiting Nick's family.

Oh and as for Jen, I think she was just a bit heartbroken, since she was more into Nick than vice versa. Her own mother said after BIP that Nick treated her daughter with nothing but respect, so I really don't believe Nick intentionally hurt her. They may have kept in touch to some extent after the show, but they clearly weren't dating or anything. Jen probably wished they were, which is why she was so disappointed when he became the Bachelor instead. She missed out on nothing however, since Nick was clearly just not that into her. It's no one's fault, she's just not Nick's type personality-wise.

I completely agree with everything you wrote. Well said. :) 

So I saw an article in US Weekly today, about Lauren wishing Ben Happy Birthday on Instagram. I only skimmed it but one thing did stand out to me. And it was the article referring to Ben as Lauren's boyfriend.

Um, what happened to fiancé. I know there was the whole canceling the wedding storyline on their crappy reality show but I thought they were still engaged and just not getting married soon.

Also interesting, in her birthday message, Lauren acknowledged their having rocky times.

18 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I'm not convinced the premise of the Bachelor is inherently misogynistic, either.  Sexist? Sure.

Thank you!!!  These words are constantly being used interchangeably, but they do not mean the same thing.

• Love 5
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:17 PM, truthaboutluv said:

The same thing happened on the DWTS board, just after he was confirmed for the new cast, with someone posting that they didn't really watch The Bachelor but heard that Nick was a huge misogynist. I think for some reason, people blame Nick for whatever slut shaming was done of Andi and Kaitlyn after their respective seasons, especially regarding their actions with him. 

Yeah, I read on the DWTS board, that Nick was "mean", and I'm wondering - when?   I thought Nick came across as nicer than most bachelors, he seems more introspective about the whole experience, and made attempts to get to know the women he liked.  

I also wonder if he might have given Raven the message that she was not going to be the F2, and she agreed to act the part, for the show.  Though ANDI (of all people)  told him to go ahead and have sex with as many women as he wanted, Nick seemed much more thoughtful of the women's feelings, having been on the other side himself. 

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 0:05 PM, ByTor said:

The ATFR is set up for that, though.   That's the whole thing - the F2, and anyone else, gets to ask "why did you act this way with me?  was it real or were you playing me?" 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 3

The way Shatner talked about poor Andi (sic) made me think he has met her, as well as watched the show, and perhaps he--perhaps he and his wife--know her and have only heard her version of events. His criticism of Nick seemed a little too personal, not just "guy I saw on television".

Like some others, I never thought Nick did anything wrong. I never thought it was wrong for him to ask her why she slept with him when he asked her not to if she didn't return his feelings. I especially thought it was stupid to victimize Andi after she lit into JP up and down, on camera, with great vengeance (not Nick's tone at all) for sleeping with her and not really caring about her.

Then again, I can't stand Andi and like Nick. Whom I notice has many female friends from TBachelor--a good sign, imo. Also, he has always spoken very kindly about Kaitlyn despite her treating him like garbage (together with SEan and her ridiculing him.) Oh and Andi embarrassing him in her "we had sex" tell all.  Hard to make either of them sympathetic to me.

• Love 5

I'm very disappointed in William Shatner and not because I'm a Nick fan. I just don't think a star of his status should insult his fans. Little boys grow up idolizing characters like Captain Kirk, then when that boy grows up, Kirk insults him because of a stupid tv show. That must have been very hurtful. I think famous people should consider that we all don't have to agree on politics or sex with Andi, etc, but people from all walks of life have been fans and the fans are the reason they are famous. Have an opinion but don't insult an entire group of people or call out a fan because of that opinion. They should know their position and be above all that.

Edited by Nowhere
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

I'm very disappointed in William Shatner and not because I'm a Nick fan. I just don't think a star of his status should insult his fans. Little boys grow up idolizing characters like Captain Kirk, then when that boy grows up, Kirk insults him because of a stupid tv show. That must have been very hurtful. I think famous people should consider that we all don't have to agree on politics or sex with Andi, etc, but people from all walks of life have been fans and the fans are the reason they are famous. Have an opinion but don't insult an entire group of people or call out a fan because of that opinion. They should know their position and be above all that.

I agree with that, especially since DWTS is about voting FOR the dancers you want to continue, not AGAINST one dancer.  And it's really supposed to be based on the dancing, not whether or not you or William Shatner likes someone personally.     I know that doesn't always translate, there are several viewers who vote based on liking/ not liking someone's politics or past behavior or that of their family.   But that's individual viewers of the show, not a celebrity having some kind of vendetta. 

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

This is rather off-topic, but if this is the first time you've been disappointed by William Shatner's behaviour toward his fans, well... Just look up Wil Wheaton's story of the first time he met Shatner to see just what an ass the man can be to the people who idolize him. At least Nick wasn't a starry-eyed boy when Shatner decided to be a jerk to him.

• Love 3
On 3/15/2017 at 11:58 AM, RHJunkie said:

Hopefully angry at themselves because that's a ridiculous reason to run yourself into debt. Some people do think that pricey fashion is fool proof...it isn't and certainly not fool proof enough to run yourself into that much debt over for no more than 8 weeks of your life. Corinne, unsurprisingly had some really pricey outfits, even her casual wear was on the expensive side, lol. Vanessa probably had the best bang for your buck style this season. Her wrap dress was like $25 and she had one group date dress that was $35. A lot of her casual looks (sweater, jeans, etc.) were Forever 21, lol. Rachel had some great pieces that were middle range designer and I think reasonably priced given the quality and type of wear (I want her elimination dress!). Future women have 21 seasons to learn from - there are a lot of people knocking off designs at a fraction of the price. If the made is well, who cares about the name on the label!

Just don't remove the tags until you know you're gonna wear it.  As long as the tags are still on, it can be returned.  Anyone going into this knowing the expense that doesn't do that just isn't thinking, whether they make it through one or all of the rose ceremonies.

3 hours ago, b2H said:

Just don't remove the tags until you know you're gonna wear it.  As long as the tags are still on, it can be returned.

Some of them keep the tags on even if they wear it. I remember on the first season of BIP, Lacy got violently ill with food poisoning after a rose ceremony. The medic unzipped her dress in the back to make her more comfortable, and in the close-up you could clearly see the tags still on the dress.

• Love 2

Yikes - Nick might be saying that he can't do DWTS without Vanessa, but what I saw from the show last night was her criticizing his dancing during rehearsals and complaining that her hurt her while dancing with him in the parking lot. She's not THAT supportive!

30 minutes ago, jette said:

what I saw from the show last night was her criticizing his dancing during rehearsals and complaining that her hurt her while dancing with him in the parking lot. She's not THAT supportive!

Someone who didn't watch the episode might think you're being serious here.

• Love 3