Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor in the Media

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Once you're in that Nation (heh, that term still gives me the LOLs), lots of doors open for you. It's not just about more shows, but money-making opportunities that you wouldn't have had if you weren't part of the Nation. Jade/Tanner, Michelle/Cody, Sean/Catherine, Ashley/JP have done Marriage Boot Camp, which according to Sean's own words, pays a ton of money enough that you would feel stupid to turn it down. So yeah, they make these stupid storylines, but heck, it pays well enough. Then there's the notorious Instagram shilling. Jade/Tanner reportedly made $1M alone from that. If both Jade and Tanner just retreated to their normal lives after the show never to be heard from again, I highly doubt they would have made that $1M that fast. Then there are the book deals like the ones that Sean, Andi and Courtney got. I don't think anyone would give Sean a book deal if he was just your regular businessman dude in Texas.

I also think being in the Nation, for some reason, lets you enjoy the limelight longer than other reality TV shows, like say, Amazing Race or Survivor. The Nation has certainly expanded their reach from just being The Bachelor and The Bachelorette, and their people have certainly benefited from it.

I was speaking specific to doors in Hollywood since the topic was about someone who has been on TV prior to the Bachelor and implying that they were simply looking for exposure for their career. The exposure you get on a reality show like this isn't the type of exposure that leads to an actual career in acting. It has perks but of the examples you provided, I could give you A LOT more examples of people that fell completely off the radar and are back at their normal lives post-Bachelor because relatively speaking, the percentage of post-Bachelor Z list celebrity fame is still small considering the pool of people involved each season (multiplied by the many seasons on the air). But you're right, there are of course financial opportunities that can follow any type of TV exposure but I wouldn't say that one's past defines their intent for ever doing something on TV and I also don't think that one's post-reality show life defines their intent for going on a reality show in the first place.  

6 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Once you're in that Nation (heh, that term still gives me the LOLs), lots of doors open for you. 

I also think being in the Nation, for some reason, lets you enjoy the limelight longer than other reality TV shows, like say, Amazing Race or Survivor. The Nation has certainly expanded their reach from just being The Bachelor and The Bachelorette, and their people have certainly benefited from it.

We're "Bachelor Nation." They're "Bachelor Family." Lol! This is Bachelor lexicon. ;-)  It would be like if someone tried accusing someone of "Having Improper Intentions" instead of "Being There for the Wrong Reasons" or talking about their "Romantic Quest" instead of their "Amazing Journey." It just cannot be done! Lol.

As for the practice of a "friend" signing someone up, I think it's like when it's the day to nominate kids to student council in school: you need to tell your friend before home room to nominate you for classroom rep or class treasurer or what have you.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

It has perks but of the examples you provided, I could give you A LOT more examples of people that fell completely off the radar and are back at their normal lives post-Bachelor because relatively speaking, the percentage of post-Bachelor Z list celebrity fame is still small considering the pool of people involved each season 

True. But I think the evolution of social media has changed the course for the newer Bachelor and B'ette seasons and the upcoming ones. Instagram shilling may not be as lucrative as say, for Brad's ladies than it is now for Ben Higgins' ladies, etc. The expansion of the franchise too to Bachelor in Paradise, and its corresponding after-shows, podcasts, blogs, etc., has also lengthened the so-called fifteen minutes of fame for the newer gentlemen/ladies. I just think it's a different ballgame now for these lead/contestants than it is for those people who joined this show 5 years ago or so.

• Love 1

Going on the Bachelor is what you make of it. If you want to be a social media celeb, this is as good a place as any to get your face out there. If the public likes you enough, you are in. If not, then you go back to your real life. Sure not every single one of them is going to become an instragram millionaire, but they at least give it a go. I wouldn't be surprised if half of them decided, after being on the show, after having everything from their looks and voice to sob stories and "occupations" torn apart by the online public, decide life in the public eye just isn't for them and they happily go back to their real life.

I do think, now, half the goal of being on the show is to get your foot in the Bachelor door. If you are memorable enough, they will invite you back for Paradise, the events, the parties. And now Nick has opened the door for even more appearances in the franchise. The sky is the limit now. They go to parties and hang out with other pretty people. It's basically a giant co-ed frat. Fratrority? Sorturnity? If I were young, shallow and pretty and had no commitments to anything I'd be tempted. What I don't get is people like Rachel and Andy who have careers that they had to work really hard towards, coming on this show. Becoming a lawyer isn't easy, it takes a lot of time and money and it is a rather serious profession (unless you're an ambulance chaser) so unless they plan on changing careers and becoming fame whores, why risk your career for a trashy dating show?

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

True. But I think the evolution of social media has changed the course for the newer Bachelor and B'ette seasons and the upcoming ones. Instagram shilling may not be as lucrative as say, for Brad's ladies than it is now for Ben Higgins' ladies, etc. The expansion of the franchise too to Bachelor in Paradise, and its corresponding after-shows, podcasts, blogs, etc., has also lengthened the so-called fifteen minutes of fame for the newer gentlemen/ladies. I just think it's a different ballgame now for these lead/contestants than it is for those people who joined this show 5 years ago or so.

Oh for sure, it definitely opens up the doors for money making opportunities - but it's still a relatively limited type of celebrity that they achieve and not everyone is after that type of stuff. Corinna is really soaking it up and is doing exactly the type of thing as you described - using her social media platform only to capitalize on her exposure and get as much free stuff/money as possible. I know you were only addressing one part of my original comment but it's hard for me to separate it because the comment about opportunities wasn't meant to be a stand alone comment, but within the context of assuming that because someone has been on TV before that somehow makes them guilty of bad intentions and wanting to launch their careers using the show - it was in that context that I don't see any examples of anyone achieving real celebrity from the show. It all goes back to my original point that it's about judging the behaviour, not a few lines on someone's resume. Look at Sean Lowe who went on TV, found his wife, has a kid and he's still benefitting from the opportunity that being on the Bachelor has provided him but that doesn't mean that his intention of being on the show is any less just because he took advantage of opportunities that came with it. That's veering off the point of our specific discussion (and to clarify, in a much general sense, I 100% agree with you), but specific to my original comment, there was also some context there that inspired the question. 

And thus is born another spin off. Bachelor: Race to the Alter, where the winners and their prizes from past seasons run through a gauntlet of ridiculous challenges to see who will get their all expense paid ABC dream wedding!

• Love 8
19 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Yeah Ben has already taken to Instagram to deny it. But in my opinion, when US Weekly starts reporting on it and including quotes from sources saying they're heading in that direction, I wouldn't be surprised by a split announcement in the coming weeks or months. 

US Weekly Article

Aw, that's sad. I thought they were cute.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

Oh for sure, it definitely opens up the doors for money making opportunities - but it's still a relatively limited type of celebrity that they achieve and not everyone is after that type of stuff. Corinna is really soaking it up and is doing exactly the type of thing as you described - using her social media platform only to capitalize on her exposure and get as much free stuff/money as possible. I know you were only addressing one part of my original comment but it's hard for me to separate it because the comment about opportunities wasn't meant to be a stand alone comment, but within the context of assuming that because someone has been on TV before that somehow makes them guilty of bad intentions and wanting to launch their careers using the show - it was in that context that I don't see any examples of anyone achieving real celebrity from the show. It all goes back to my original point that it's about judging the behaviour, not a few lines on someone's resume. Look at Sean Lowe who went on TV, found his wife, has a kid and he's still benefitting from the opportunity that being on the Bachelor has provided him but that doesn't mean that his intention of being on the show is any less just because he took advantage of opportunities that came with it. That's veering off the point of our specific discussion (and to clarify, in a much general sense, I 100% agree with you), but specific to my original comment, there was also some context there that inspired the question. 

Oh, I totally get what you're saying. I'm sure these people have all different reasons for coming on the show, whether that's for instant celebrity, money, love, etc. And whatever those reasons are, I don't begrudge them for it, whatever happens to them in the end. You gotta do what you gotta do, right? I mean, some of these people have actually found their life partners just by being on the show, even though they don't end up the winner. So they got their happy ending in a different way, and it's because of being part of the Nation.

And IMO, Sean Lowe was one of the very few leads who came on to the show for the right reasons. Yeah, he's still hogging whatever celebrity he can, but I think that's the byproduct more than the full intention. Him and Catherine ending up together gave me the feels during his season, and it's cool that they have expanded their family.

• Love 3

With Jojo and Jordan planning a wedding, not surprised that Ben/Lauren are on shaky ground. Or they would have gotten a Bachelor wedding first. 

I don't think we'll see a wedding for either of these couples. Lauren and Ben seem like their enthusiasm for the idea has waned, and Jordan is just biding his time, IMO.  

• Love 2

Maybe I'm just naive, but I don't understand why having a lead of any minority would be a problem.  I didn't watch JoJo's season because I didn't like her; if it were Caila instead I probably would have watched...yeah, she came across a little dull, but I'd be more drawn to watch a personality like hers as opposed to loud "look at meeeeee!!!" JoJo.  Now we have white Nick, and I'm this close to quitting because the Corrine nonsense is so over the top it's like the show realizes what it's become so it's basically making fun of itself.  I think if they actually would choose Rachel (assuming she doesn't "win" Nick's season), there's a chance the show would have a chance of getting back to how it used to be...more "right reasons."  If anybody wouldn't watch because of her race, I just don't get it. 

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, thehepburn said:

LOL. My last post in TB reddit was how Wells has always been a tool, not just "suddenly" become one. Gosh, I can't stand him.

You and me both, I never saw his appeal.

• Love 5

I wonder if part of the problem is gauging overall viewer reception based on social media.  There seems to be an assumption that the social media fans are reflective of overall viewers, and I think that's a mistake.  Personalities of women like Caila are probably never going to resonate with the social media crowd. But I also think it's a matter of confirmation bias - TPTB aren't, and have never, been interested in a non-white lead, and thus are hyper-sensitive to any viewer responses that validate that.  Juan Pablo is as "diverse" as they've gotten, and he was supposedly a disaster.      

I never saw Wells' appeal, either. But then, I'm not sure why anyone would care about Wells' or Chase's opinion. Shut up, both of you. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I wonder if part of the problem is gauging overall viewer reception based on social media.  There seems to be an assumption that the social media fans are reflective of overall viewers, and I think that's a mistake.  

It even depends on where you read comments on social media/message boards.  For example, I think it's safe to say that most of us on this board are less than thrilled with this season being morphed from "The Bachelor" to "Corrine and the Bachelor" and wonder how TPTB can think this is entertaining, but some other places I've read think she's the best part of this season.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, TheFinalRose said:

I don't think we'll see a wedding for either of these couples. Lauren and Ben seem like their enthusiasm for the idea has waned, and Jordan is just biding his time, IMO.  

Jojo and Jordan have a date and a location that looks very outdoor wedding for "ABC is going to film this." 

Even couples in commercials for household products are more diverse than this show, never mind the real world (my two white bread kids have "diverse" spouses). What if they had a  diverse Bachelorette and no one even noticed? That's what I want to see, not this clunky dated aren't-we-brave mentality Show would make of it.  

• Love 5

The real problem with Rachel (my opinion only) is that they would have to decide in advance and not at the last minute. They would need to put in time and effort to cast enough men in their 30's. They can't just throw 25 lily white frat boys in their early twenties at her. They obviously have a stagnant pool of applicants for both shows that they draw from with a few new ones thrown in the mix. I think Raven was probably cast for Luke, for example. Since they gave Nick such young girls I don't know that they are willing or capable of finding enough older contestants for Rachel- not even taking race into account.

PS- that rambling statement from Wells makes him sound like a douche. Bringing up the election in relation to the Bachelorette? Really reaching.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, mingming said:

The real problem with Rachel (my opinion only) is that they would have to decide in advance and not at the last minute. They would need to put in time and effort to cast enough men in their 30's. They can't just throw 25 lily white frat boys in their early twenties at her.

Excellent point.  Actually, (regardless of race) if all they have is a pool of frat boys, I doubt I'd watch, no matter who the lead is.

• Love 2

I dont think Jojo's wedding will be televised bc wouldnt ABC announce it first if they were televising it? Also, as much as I cant stand Kaitlyn, ABC seems to like her fine and they wont televise HER wedding which makes her salty. So, I dont see how ABC would televise Jojo's over Kaitlyn's.

29 minutes ago, thehepburn said:

I dont think Jojo's wedding will be televised bc wouldnt ABC announce it first if they were televising it? Also, as much as I cant stand Kaitlyn, ABC seems to like her fine and they wont televise HER wedding which makes her salty. So, I dont see how ABC would televise Jojo's over Kaitlyn's.

Because Jo was a very popular B'ette and Jordan is a celebrity with an ESPN announcing gig and a very famous estranged brother? Some people would watch just to see if famous brother shows up or if Mrs Fletcher drinks out of her champagne bottle (oh wait that's what I'd hope to see--love you Mrs F!). I don't think Kaitlyn and Shawn would draw the ratings compared to J&J.

But hoping J&J don't televise it--they don't need a subsidized wedding.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

Because Jo was a very popular B'ette and Jordan is a celebrity with an ESPN announcing gig and a very famous estranged brother? Some people would watch just to see if famous brother shows up or if Mrs Fletcher drinks out of her champagne bottle (oh wait that's what I'd hope to see--love you Mrs F!). I don't think Kaitlyn and Shawn would draw the ratings compared to J&J.

But hoping J&J don't televise it--they don't need a subsidized wedding.

I agree that JJ dont need to televise but what makes Jojo so "very popular"? If you compare Jojo's and Kaitlyn's ratings, they were the same with Jojo's lower at times.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, thehepburn said:

I agree that JJ dont need to televise but what makes Jojo so "very popular"? If you compare Jojo's and Kaitlyn's ratings, they were the same with Jojo's lower at times.

Maybe she was more popular with TPTB?  I don't know when Kaitlyn fell out of favor with them, but that Snapchat of her in bed with Shawn before the season was over didn't do her any favors.

16 minutes ago, thehepburn said:

Did I say she was more popular than Kaitlyn?

2 hours ago, Artsda said:

Jojo and Jordan have a date and a location that looks very outdoor wedding for "ABC is going to film this." 

They do? Last thing I heard they hadn't even picked a date yet. JoJo's brother Matt (the one grilling Ben on the HTD) is getting married soon in a fancy location, so perhaps that's what you're thinking off?

Ben and Lauren did get offered a wedding for this month actually, but Ben got cold feet and seems like it was the beginning of the end to them. Lauren deserves better than that man baby anyway.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, MsPH said:

They do? Last thing I heard they hadn't even picked a date yet. JoJo's brother Matt (the one grilling Ben on the HTD) is getting married soon in a fancy location, so perhaps that's what you're thinking off?

I did a "JoJo/Jordan wedding" search and nothing showed up besides some articles where they deny that they broke up, nothing about a wedding date or location.

But is the date for JoJo's wedding far, far in the future?  Jordan might still be buying time until he finds his way out of it. Sorry, I just do not buy the idea that those two, out of all the universe of Bachelor nation couples, will be one of the rare ones that make it to the altar.

As far as Ben and Lauren splitting, I think they probably have, as why would she vacation in Mexico with her family on her birthday and not bring Ben (who doesn't work and would probably enjoy some sun and fun instead of being in cold Denver) and her giant ring? I suspect they've been asked to wait to admit it until ABC can pimp their breakup for maximum ratings on After the Final Rose, or at least a very special segment stuck into The Women Tell All, and there are a few weeks until those shows air.  

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, TheFinalRose said:

As far as Ben and Lauren splitting, I think they probably have, as why would she vacation in Mexico with her family on her birthday and not bring Ben (who doesn't work and would probably enjoy some sun and fun instead of being in cold Denver) and her giant ring? I suspect they've been asked to wait to admit it until ABC can pimp their breakup for maximum ratings on After the Final Rose, or at least a very special segment stuck into The Women Tell All, and there are a few weeks until those shows air.  

Edited by thehepburn
Ben went back to his old job last month.
33 minutes ago, huahaha said:

It's July 23: https://www.theknot.com/us/joelle-fletcher-and-jordan-rodgers-jul-2017.

ETA: Unless someone set that site up as a hoax.

I think it is a hoax. The pictures are all either screen capped from the show or from People Magazine. And even if ABC didn't offer to televise the wedding, I'm sure if they had a date it would be announced in People or Us Weekly, like Des and Chris's wedding date was.

Re: Wells, yes he is a giant tool bag to imply that audiences were lukewarm on Caila because of her race. It had nothing to do with her race and everything to do with her personality.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Personalities of women like Caila are probably never going to resonate with the social media crowd. But I also think it's a matter of confirmation bias - TPTB aren't, and have never, been interested in a non-white lead, and thus are hyper-sensitive to any viewer responses that validate that.  Juan Pablo is as "diverse" as they've gotten, and he was supposedly a disaster.      

Ugh, I'm still bitter about that Caila last-minute switch. I was looking forward to a half-Filipina Bachelorette (I am Filipina), and Caila was my girl during Ben's season, and it was looking good until they switched at the ATR show. Did it have to do with Caila being a minority? Not sure, since Jojo is half Persian (someone feel free to correct me)? But I think with those two, it wasn't an issue of diversity, but more of a shock value to the audience as if "Heck yeah, we can really do this! You think we wouldn't do it, pick the runner-up for the next season, but we just did! Jojo for the win!"

4 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Very good points.  I'm not heavy in social media, so I learn most of it from what others reference here.  I didn't realize other viewers were loving Corinne, eek!

Not only by the viewers, but members of the Nation, *ehem*, Bachelor Family as well. I think by this time, everyone knows the shenanigans played by TPTB and the producers, that most everyone thinks it's just an act by Corrine, or a blatant manipulation of TPTB to have someone be the villain of the season. A lot of past contestants have spoken out in her defense. 

Edited by slowpoked
11 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Ugh, I'm still bitter about that Caila last-minute switch. I was looking forward to a half-Filipina Bachelorette (I am Filipina), and Caila was my girl during Ben's season, and it was looking good until they switched at the ATR show. Did it have to do with Caila being a minority? Not sure, since Jojo is half Persian (someone feel free to correct me)? But I think with those two, it wasn't an issue of diversity, but more of a shock value to the audience as if "Heck yeah, we can really do this! You think we wouldn't do it, pick the runner-up for the next season, but we just did! Jojo for the win!"

Or maybe Caila took one look at the men they were casting with their ugly ass hairdos and said "Oh hell no!" and bolted :)

• Love 4

Sweet little write up by D Magazine about Rachel. Speculation, but not spoiler. I like what I've seen of her so far and would definitely watch her Bachelorette season. 

I'm glad I live in a city that produces so much Bachelor greatness as well as the DCC. LOL.  I also have two loose connections, as Reality Steve used to be one of my vendors (no idea if he still has his day job) and a friend used to date Jojo's brother. I am just a little sad I unfriended him on Facebook years ago ? So weird seeing people you know on tv. I had quit watching The Bachelor after Brad 2.0 and only came back for Jojo.

http://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2017/02/why-dallas-rachel-lindsay-is-set-to-make-tv-history/

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I think it is a hoax. The pictures are all either screen capped from the show or from People Magazine. And even if ABC didn't offer to televise the wedding, I'm sure if they had a date it would be announced in People or Us Weekly, like Des and Chris's wedding date was.

Re: Wells, yes he is a giant tool bag to imply that audiences were lukewarm on Caila because of her race. It had nothing to do with her race and everything to do with her personality.

Once I saw it was the standard Knot site, I figured it probably wasn't real. No way JoJo won't have her own professionally designed website with brand-new engagement pictures!

4 hours ago, huahaha said:

It's July 23: https://www.theknot.com/us/joelle-fletcher-and-jordan-rodgers-jul-2017.

ETA: Unless someone set that site up as a hoax.

That's definitely a hoax. What half-famous couple would display their wedding date, time and venue online for the world to see? Way to invite all kinds of shady people to your wedding. Des and Chris kept their wedding details so private even RS was fooled on the date and I'm sure these two will do the same.

I would actually give J&J the best odds out of the unmarried show couples around at the moment. I've been following them fairly closely and despite my dislike of Jordan during the season, they do seem like a great match and have been living their lives mostly out of the public eye since the show ended. That's always a good sign.

I think the time for another televised Ette wedding has past. Precedence has been established. Des didnt get a wedding. Kaitlyn wont get a wedding. I doubt Jojo will get one either.

Maybe Carvan will get an ABC wedding since BIP is still young?

I didn't realize Ben is actually back at regular work. So that would make sense as to why he wouldn't go away with Lauren and her family, but Lauren would take a couple of trips on her own, especially if the alternative is she'd be left sitting all alone in the tiny little house on her birthday anyway.

But, did he go back to work because he and Lauren were over and he saw the end of The Bachelor gravy train loud and clear? 

Edited by TheFinalRose
I don't always read what I write before hitting submit. My bad.

I am watching Santa Calrita Diet on netflix.  Very good and excellent writing. 

Drew Barrymore (lead) is talking to a friend who says she has to go to work now.  It is night and Drew says you work this late?  She said, yes, pharmaceutical sales always have odd schedules, that is why so many of us go on the Bachelor.

Very good series, btw.

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4