Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
David T. Cole

Favorite Commercials

48 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Heads are good for throwing/kicking around during pit stops.  Any body parts we haven't covered yet?

Let's see.. Arms, legs, heads, torsos.. I think we've covered it all.  🤣

• Like 2

21 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I can't stand this ad. IMO, overindulgent parent let's child wear whatever they want to forever, regardless of whether it's appropriate or not. Then spends big money to fly (which is odd) to a zoo so said spoiled, overindulged child gets to see the tiger. Which probably thinks she's a cute snack. Hate hate hate. 

And as for long drives with animals, we're leaving on Tuesday for a 4 day drive with 3 kids and 2 dachshunds. Pray for us. 

Yeah, I mentioned a page or two back that I didn't like it either, a lot because it reminded me of a spoiled overindulged kid I worked with once through a service program.  I would have liked it more if the kid would have freaked out at the sight of the tiger and ran off screaming/crying, leaving the dad to wonder why he made this special trip.  I've seen kids do that (not necessarily with tigers but with other stuff) and it always is good for a chuckle.

• Like 2

I like the new Whole Foods series where it's funny instead of, you know: pretentious.

My favorite is the husband loading up on the asparagus.  When his wife is all "WTF?", he says, "You said, Get 'a bunch' of asparagus, and...[he figures it out]...oh."

It pinged the time when I was packing to go to my first high school overnight debate tournament.  My dad took my list to the store to pick up some essentials.  I'd included a request for legal paper, which we called "flow pads" (bc you wrote the 'flow' of the arguments on them during each round).

Dad came home with pencils, shampoo, and a box of Stayfree Maxi-pads🤣

• Laugh 13

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:35 PM, funky-rat said:

I've seen kids do that (not necessarily with tigers but with other stuff) and it always is good for a chuckle.

It's a cute ad with a cute kid (cute kids don't bother me as much as they obviously do a lot of people on these boards. They're kids for God's sake!), but it could have had a better pay off. The tiger could growl at the kid and the kid get scared or the tiger growls and the kids growls back or something (and no, not the glass breaks and the tiger eats the kid).

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

It's a cute ad with a cute kid (cute kids don't bother me as much as they obviously do a lot of people on these boards. They're kids for God's sake!), but it could have had a better pay off. The tiger could growl at the kid and the kid get scared or the tiger growls and the kids growls back or something (and no, not the glass breaks and the tiger eats the kid).

Kids in general don't bother me.  Overindulgent parents do, and sadly, kids who are a product of that kind of parenting annoy me by proxy.  A lot of people seem to like this commercial, and it's all good, but I've said a few times the kid reminds me of a kid who was absolutely miserable to deal with (as was his mother), and that association just puts the ad on my "no" list.

And it often doesn't do the kids a favor to be overindulged.  The kid I refer to had a hard time in the years after we stopped working with him (and no, I'm not saying that we were some magical force in his life - quite the opposite - we tried hard to get him to open up his world view and whatnot, and he flatly refused).  But his teen years seemed to be generally bad for him.  Changed schools a few times because "teachers just can't reach him/don't understand him", had no friends because "other kids are intimidated by his intelligence/creativity/etc", and he didn't graduate on time, but that wasn't his fault either.  He would frequently fling insults at adults, and his mother thought it was cute - "he's so smart".  Asking him to stop would get a response of "oh, they don't care - they think it's funny".

Yes, it's just a commercial, but it invokes bad memories, and I just don't care for it.  YMMV.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

I've seen this commercial so many times because it's the NBA playoffs, but it still makes me laugh.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

In case anyone’s wondering, the ocean wave breaking on the rocks was taken at Shore Acres in Charleston, Oregon.  

Edited by Phebemarie
  • Like 5

I like the National car rental ads with Patrick Warburton because of the way they slip in references to Get Smart. He was Hymie the Robot, a Control agent.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I like the National car rental ads with Patrick Warburton because of the way they slip in references to Get Smart. He was Hymie the Robot, a Control agent.

No, Dick Gautier  played Hymie the Robot...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

No, Dick Gautier  played Hymie the Robot...

They meant the movie version with Anne Hathaway and Steve Carell.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

They meant the movie version with Anne Hathaway and Steve Carell.

They did a remake of Get Smart? Is nothing sacred these days?

• Like 3
  • Laugh 3
  • Surprise 1

3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

It appears they did a direct-to-DVD spinoff too, with brief appearances by Anne Hathaway and Patrick, but focusing on other agents (presumably played by cheaper actors).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

It sucked.  "OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies" came out about the same time and was really good.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

2 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

It sucked.

In fairness, I don't recall the movies featuring the original cast being very good either. There weren't enough gags in the series to stretch a story out to movie-length.

39 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I don't recall the movies featuring the original cast being very good either.

Not an unusual problem.  Usually by the time they do a movie the show has become long in the tooth. Even the Simpson's movie was pretty bad. 

kind of off topic, I was a teen when the original Get Smart was on, I watched it, who didn't? But I thought it was pretty stupid. I'm not a Steve Carell fan either, so with both those dislikes, I've not seen the movie, nor do I plan to. But I did buy the Robert Tonner Steve Carell/Max Smart doll in a good sale. Glad I did, he's one of the cutest male dolls I have, he sort of looks like Steve Carell but not so much it bothers me. And the bottom of one of his shoes does come off, but I think it's just plain on the inside. I would like to see Welcome to Marwen in spite of Steve Carell.

Don't usually see commercials due to the modern miracle of DVR.  However, the Cheerios "Good Goes Around" is catchy.  For whatever reason, the two women in bridal attire spinning around on the dance floor just cracks me up.  

• Like 2

I simply love Emu and the guy who is in the commercial with "him" - but can't remember what the commercial is for.  Liberty Mutual?   Just to see the guy talking to Emu like you would a regular person.  And Emu wearing glasses and nosing through desk drawers.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Kemper said:

but can't remember what the commercial is for.  Liberty Mutual? 

Yes, it is Liberty Mutual.  The first few times I saw it, I couldn't figure out why they named him Limu, even if it did rhyme with emu.  Then the GF said it was from LIberty MUtual.  Now I get it! Not crazy about the commercials, but at least I understand the bird's name.

Edited by Moose135
  • Like 6

30 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just love this Apple Watch commercial featuring lots of activity and the song The Hokey Pokey!  So cute!  I also think it's clever.  

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/I4hA/apple-watch-hokey-pokey

That is cute!  But if I had one, I'd wear it on my left arm, as I would a regular watch.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

That is cute!  But if I had one, I'd wear it on my left arm, as I would a regular watch.  🙂

..as long as you "shake it all about."

• Like 3
  • Laugh 3

FedEx "Memories" commercial

I know this commercial has been out for a while, but I've recently started seeing it again, and every time I see it I love it more. The music, the photography, the scenery, the story, the idea of "time traveling" to see your family history...goosebumps even as I think about it. I swear if it came out on the world's shortest DVD I'd buy it.  

Well done, FedEx.

• Like 1

This Duluth underwear commercial is hilarious.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 6

On 5/13/2019 at 8:16 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

"Won't someone please think of the vegetables?!"

Ha! This was one of my dad’s favorite lines... “how many broccolis had to needlessly suffer and die for this meal?”

(and yes, he said how many broccolis and not how much lol)

Edited by amass
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 5

On ‎04‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:06 AM, Gramto6 said:

WOW!  Haven't seen it on TV, but amazing photography!

The photography is stunning (well, except for that centipede - ugh!) but the music is really loud and annoying.

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:06 PM, kariyaki said:

This Heineken commercial cracks me up.

The man answering the door at the end is Andrea Pirlo, one of the big stars of the Italian national team in 2006 (and later).  Nice to see his hair still looks fabulous.

• Useful 1

I love the Rickie Fowler / Farmer's Insurance commercial with the people who have their dog in the car, at the golf course, and Bucky hits the gear shift, and the SUV goes onto the course.   When the car starts rolling, the man yells, "Bucky Heal", as if that will stop the SUV.   And Rickie Fowler yelling "Fore".   

• Like 1

I love LiMu the Emu (.... and Doug).  The actor's deadpan/serious speaking style along with LiMu's goofy look and antics make it funny.  "Just WHAT do these people have in common?"

• Like 3

I love this commercial for Enterprise Rent A Car, featuring Ralph Macchio and William Zabka who are currently starring in "Cobra Kai":

One upmanship never was more entertaining!

• Like 4