Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

The Geico commercial with the Gecko riding with a stunt pilot. The pilot is doing rolls and stunts, and the gecko is getting airsick. I love it. My husband is a pilot and says that he would totally do that to the gecko.

I know the pilot.  He is the lead pilot of the GEICO Skytypers team.  In addition to aerial messages, they also perform at air shows.  For his day job, he flies for a major US airline.  His wife was the airport manager of Republic Airport on Long Island, where the Skytypers are based, and home to the air museum where I volunteer, so I've seen both of them many times over the years - really nice people!

JM_2015_05_25_Jones_Beach_Air_Show_025-L

JM_2018_04_28_Myrtle_Beach_Air_Show_078-

JM_2013_05_26_AAM_016-L.jpg

• Useful 3
  • Love 15
7 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I know the pilot.  He is the lead pilot of the GEICO Skytypers team.  In addition to aerial messages, they also perform at air shows.  For his day job, he flies for a major US airline.  His wife was the airport manager of Republic Airport on Long Island, where the Skytypers are based, and home to the air museum where I volunteer, so I've seen both of them many times over the years - really nice people!

How awesome!! He comes across as a nice guy in the commercial! 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Small world.  My dad has volunteered at several air museums over the years, as a restorer.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, Stillhere2.0 said:

Progressive Insurance.

Soooooooo, does anyone know why Flo wears an apron?

LOL . That ad is good marketing.

I've shopped in stores where the employees wear aprons for no other reason than it's the uniform, so I always thought that was what they were going for.  Although it does have nice pockets for those price tool scanner thingies they show in the commercials.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Stillhere2.0 said:

Progressive Insurance.

Soooooooo, does anyone know why Flo wears an apron?

LOL . That ad is good marketing.

There is a promo for The Secret Life of Pets 2 that has a tie in to Progressive pet insurance that pokes fun at the aprons.  The cartoon dogs are watching a Progressive commercial, and one asks about the "baker lady".  Another says she isn't a baker, "she wears that apron to sell insurance, nobody knows why."  Jamie appears on screen, and one of the dogs says "I suppose this baker sells insurance too."

• Love 8
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

I've shopped in stores where the employees wear aprons for no other reason than it's the uniform, so I always thought that was what they were going for.  Although it does have nice pockets for those price tool scanner thingies they show in the commercials.

That's true. I wore an apron the entire time I worked in the grocery store even though I never worked in any of the food preparation areas. Cleaning, getting carts, bagging groceries, and customer service all departments that didn't really need an apron. But it was required. 

(edited)
12 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

The Monster.com commercial has been cracking me up. Can't say the Dad's not being honest.

and the shorter version

Those remind me a little bit of this exchange between Andy and Opie on The Andy Griffith Show:

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 2
On 6/4/2019 at 10:51 AM, janie jones said:

Can anyone tell me why Bath and Body Works employees wear aprons?

Usually an apron is worn to protect the clothes underneath. Like a pinafore. That's especially true for people that work with food. But I don't see that BaBW employees have that need.

I remember back in the 80s, the Dairy Council had several ads about butter ("Give 'em all a little pat of butter") and cheese. I just forget what the slogan was for cheese. Do any of you know which one I'm talking about?

2 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I remember back in the 80s, the Dairy Council had several ads about butter ("Give 'em all a little pat of butter") and cheese. I just forget what the slogan was for cheese. Do any of you know which one I'm talking about?

I don't remember the exact ad, but to this day we leave out cheese for Santa.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I don't remember the exact ad, but to this day we leave out cheese for Santa.

I think the Santa in my house growing up would have been very unhappy with getting cheese instead of cookies left for him. 

• Love 2

I worked for a couple of years at Hancock Fabrics, we wore an apron/vest thing over our clothes. It was mostly to identify us as employees, but sometimes moving a lot of bolts of fabrics could be dirty, yes, we the employees dusted and moved stuff in our spare time, we did have an employee whose only job was janitorial, sweeping and dusting, etc., but everyone had to dust if they found dusty places. But, the bigger reason was pockets! As most women know, there are no pockets in women's clothing. At a fabric store, we all had our own scissors, (owned by the store, but claimed and used exclusively by one employee) and if you didn't mark them and carry them on your person, they could walk off. Kind of like waiters mark and carry their own pens, they walk off, not always intentional stealing, just someone taking them. And, as an employee, you picked up all kinds of little things as you walked around the store, small packages of notions that had been opened and one or two missing, couldn't leave those on the hooks for sale, had to turn them into the manager, later, they'd be in a sidewalk sale heavily discounted. But you didn't always have time to take them to the manager, so they went in the pockets and were turned in later when you weren't busy. And, people do pilfer one or two of whatever they need instead of buying the package. As a customer, I don't want all the buttons, snaps, locked behind glass, I want to be able to hold them and look for the ones I want. And it's probably more expensive to have an employee manning a locked case of notions than having $1-$5 pilfered here and there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 6/3/2019 at 2:57 PM, Browncoat said:
On 6/3/2019 at 1:49 PM, Bastet said:

Mine, too.  But that's no surprise, since that one was far and away my favorite of the original commercials being referenced in this one.  That woman cracks me up.

It's all in her delivery of her lines.  Just perfect.

To me it doesn't look like she has changed at all from the original ad.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, elle said:

To me it doesn't look like she has changed at all from the original ad.

She hasn't; same blouse, same hairdo, same necklace.  And, of course, same wonderful line delivery.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

She hasn't; same blouse, same hairdo, same necklace.  And, of course, same wonderful line delivery.

Neither she nor her clothes have aged a day!

A word of thanks to the person who pointed out that Maxwell makes an appearance at the end. Missed him the first time around, now I know to look for him.

• Love 1

Here are a couple of very enjoyable ads from a company called Good Sense. The pitchman is actor Patrick Horgan, who played Eneg in a famous Star Trek episode but is probably best known for his work on soaps (his most prominent role was that of diabolical psychiatrist Dr. John Morrison on NBC's The Doctors, 1970-74).

On 5/10/2019 at 8:10 PM, Browncoat said:

That is cute!  But if I had one, I'd wear it on my left arm, as I would a regular watch.  🙂

That's a lefty-righty thing, or so I was always taught. You put the watch on the wrist opposite your dominant hand so it doesn't drag against the table as you write.

(Irony: I wore my watch on my right wrist for so many years that I got accustomed to wearing the occasional bracelet on my left. Now I never wear watches but wear bracelets more often, so I end up with something scraping the table anyway.)

I love this one. Pleasant to hear the song, reasonable connection to the feature it's hyping.

I was looking up Diana Ross's song Upside Down and this came up as a result. I don't remember it from when it originally aired on TV. It would have been one of my favorites if I had. The white glove handling made me chuckle too... 🤣

I actually love that Expedia ad with the tiger.  The tiger's expression seems kinda startled as she takes in the girl with the tiger costume.  Like, 'what the hell are you wearing?  Are you mocking me?'  Then there's a long shot of the tiger with her face turned away: 'I can't with this bitch. NEXT!'

Also love the Subaru ads with the dog family.  They have a 'teenager' learning to drive, and a tiny puppy just going off to school (the 'dad' cries in that one). Too much cuteness...

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Emma9 said:

lefty-righty thing, or so I was always taught. You put the watch on the wrist opposite your dominant hand so it doesn't drag against the table as you write.

I was told it was so you could wind it with your dominant hand.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I love the new Geico commercial with all of their characters, and animals in it.    The part where the Cave Man says the camel has his own trailer because he's such a big shot is hysterical.    The mother with the squirrels that came with her is funny too.   

• Love 7

I can't find it, but I'm liking a new (?) ad for Chantix, one of the "slow turkey" ads.  This one has no narration, no talking at all, just the turkey, wearing a sweater, calmly going about his business, quietly enjoying himself.  It's so relaxing, which is what someone needs when they're trying to quit -- or even deciding whether to try to quit.  It's a tense time, and this ad is very calming.

• Love 11
On 6/9/2019 at 12:06 AM, Emma9 said:

That's a lefty-righty thing, or so I was always taught. You put the watch on the wrist opposite your dominant hand so it doesn't drag against the table as you write.

Some left-handed people wear watches on their right arms and some of us wear them on our left arms. Or maybe "wore" since everyone seems to use their phones now. Handedness is sort of a spectrum, like Kinsey for sex but not as fun.

Anyway...as a leftie who wore a watch on my left arm, I always called shenanigans when watch-on-the-right was a vital clue in a mystery. Like: the killer was left-handed! One of the suspects is left-handed and it's THAT guy with the watch on his right arm! Ditto with throwing something so the left-handed person would give themselves away by catching it with the "wrong" hand. Many of us catch left and throw right just like right-handed people. According to these rules, I could get away with murder because I could stab or shoot with my left, but pass as a rightie in the suspect round-up at the big reveal.

Mwah hahaha.

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
(edited)

It kind of reminds me of the old Budweiser commercial with the zebra official.

”That official’s a jackass!”

”No, I believe that’s a zebra.”

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, smittykins said:

One of the great Clydesdale commercials!

• Love 4
21 hours ago, smittykins said:

”That official’s a jackass!”

”No, I believe that’s a zebra.”

My favorite is the one where there's a streaker on the field, and it's a sheared sheep.  So funny.

• Love 8
On 6/12/2019 at 1:57 PM, ABay said:

Ditto with throwing something so the left-handed person would give themselves away by catching it with the "wrong" hand. Many of us catch left and throw right just like right-handed people.

True! I catch/throw/hold a ping-pong paddle (albeit all those things badly) with my right hand (even though I was raised by a fellow lefty who does them with her left hand, go figure). Had thought the watch thing was more universal, and also never heard the reason about winding it, but both make sense. Interesting!

1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

I think Progressive outdid itself this time. Brilliant!

That's a great one! I love the comments why and having the whole row to themselves.  Also at the end tickets not available now or ever.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1