Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

Now Katie is banned from CBS. Because they actually read the book. Her interview with Gail King was cancelled.

In the tell-all, Couric — who has unleashed some unvarnished truths about her time at NBC as well as dishing on her rival anchors — also writes snootily about CBS and its news division...Couric added in her book about Moonves — who was fired without severance in the wake of sexual misconduct allegations in 2018 — “I always liked Les Moonves, even though he was a close-talker with bad breath.”

Keep digging that hole Katie.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, shoregirl said:

He's a pretend space hero . John Glenn , Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong ,Sally Ride ,Mae Jemison etc are space heroes . The men and women who lost their lives on the Challenger and Columbia Shuttles are heroes . The men who died during the Gemini and Apollo eras are heroes. William Shatner is a actor who gets to ride on some billionaire vanity project.

I agree, but I love it anyway.

The other half of today's space/entertainment news! Three Russians lifted off for the ISS. On board is director Klim Shipenko and actress Yulia Peresild. The other crewmember and actual cosmonaut is Anton Shkaplerov. Shipenko and Peresild are making a movie partially on board the station. Taking location filming to an extreme, but this isn't even the first movie filmed up there.

I think that honour belongs to another Russian movie, Return From Orbit. Unless anyone knows of anything earlier?

One day you're a regular career actor, one day you find yourself strapped to a controlled explosion. I wonder exactly about Peresild's thinking. Is this 'just' a new career challenge? Or is she a lover of science and science fiction? She's done SF before, but not space.

Director Shipenko did another space movie a few years back, Salyut 7.

• Useful 6
2 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Now Katie is banned from CBS. Because they actually read the book. Her interview with Gail King was cancelled.

I wonder if the Today show will have her on.  Did she really misjudge how people (especially people in the news business) would react to her book?  Somewhere Ann Curry is smiling. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 20
10 hours ago, shoregirl said:

He's a pretend space hero .

That's a little harsh.  I don't think anyone, including Shatner, feels he's an actual astronaut but he is definitely an icon and Star Trek has inspired generations of people to think hopefully about the possibilities of space and space travel.

• Love 18
10 hours ago, shoregirl said:

He's a pretend space hero . John Glenn , Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong ,Sally Ride ,Mae Jemison etc are space heroes . The men and women who lost their lives on the Challenger and Columbia Shuttles are heroes . The men who died during the Gemini and Apollo eras are heroes. 

I would call them more adventurers than heroes.  Not that that's an insult.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Well, that money is getting spent. It's paying the salaries of scientists. It's pushing research into space travel. It's funding factories that make the components. When we talk about the cost of those trips, that's a billion or so dollars pushed into the economy rather than sitting in investment accounts. So I'm okay with that.

Government funding into science continually gets cut and if private enterprise is going to fund some of that research so they can take fun trips, I'm okay with it. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

Well, that money is getting spent. It's paying the salaries of scientists. It's pushing research into space travel. It's funding factories that make the components. When we talk about the cost of those trips, that's a billion or so dollars pushed into the economy rather than sitting in investment accounts. So I'm okay with that.

Agreed.  I also agree with the point others made that the very rich should be paying their fair share in taxes but that's a separate issue IMO from what they actually are spending their money on.  As long as they aren't using their wealth to hurt others I don't have any more right to 'police' where their money goes than anyone should have the right to tell me how to spend my disposable income (my incredibly small compared to these men disposable income!)

• Love 12
2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Yep. When Norville took over for Jane Pauley people thought she was the worst of the worst. Little did they know......

And don't forget, the lovely Jane Pauley has a pretty good gig hosting CBS Sunday Mornings.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Oh my god!

Just read the Post article.  She's trash!  Don't worry.  I'll find a way to read the book for free, if anything.  Won't pay her.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 18
6 hours ago, SusannahM said:

That's a little harsh.  I don't think anyone, including Shatner, feels he's an actual astronaut but he is definitely an icon and Star Trek has inspired generations of people to think hopefully about the possibilities of space and space travel.

Shatner absolutely sees himself as a HERO. I've seen that huge ego in action at far too many Star Trek conventions.

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, shoregirl said:

He's a pretend space hero . John Glenn , Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong ,Sally Ride ,Mae Jemison etc are space heroes . The men and women who lost their lives on the Challenger and Columbia Shuttles are heroes . The men who died during the Gemini and Apollo eras are heroes. William Shatner is a actor who gets to ride on some billionaire vanity project.

Testify! And I like Shatner as Kirk.

7 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

Just read the article. Katie Couric is a horrible human being.

I've thought that for years. She was a disaster as the anchor of the CBS evening news.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Katie Couric's book? I've read enough via the reviews to know I won't be wasting my eyesight on this garbage. I never really liked her...just a bit too cutesy wootsey. She's vile.

I already have it on reserve at my library.   But with all the excerpts we are hearing I'm not sure what will be left to read.

@GiveMeSpace come join our conversation 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I remember somebody, I think it was David Spade (might've been when he was when he was on "SNL" and part of the "Weekend Update" thing), saying of Katie Couric, "I'll give you a thousand dollars to stop smiling." I feel like a lot of people won't be too surprised by these revelations about her, 'cause I recall there being a lot of dislike for her over the years as it was. 

Edited by Annber03
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12

I wonder if Katie's still going to have the book tour with all the backlash. If she does I expect picketers. Also people who will buy tickets solely to heckle.

Shatner absolutely has a massively bloated ego. It's also true that many people including some who work/ed at NASA and JPL went into science because of Star Trek. I just wish it wasn't through Blue Origin, which has been accused of having a toxic workplace, rife with sexual harassment, and critical safety issues.

• Useful 8
  • Love 7

I remember watching Jane and Bryant on Today and thinking Katie and Matt were very pale imitations.  Katie always gave me a bad feeling, and I remember being horribly disappointed that she would get to call herself the first female solo evening anchor.  Which author was it that she asked him how it felt to get his first book published when it was his sixth or eighth?  She was a disaster.

I wasn’t as quick to hate Matt, but he rubbed me the wrong way in so many of his interviews that I finally gave up Today and then morning shows altogether.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

This makes me sad, but then I get the feeling from her that she feels she is near the end of her life at 81 and  has enough money for herself and her heirs to live a comfortable life. So if she's ok with it, then good for her.

• Love 17
10 hours ago, cynicat said:

That's one helluva read.  The Post article, not her book, that is.

Yes, the Post article about Couric's book is fantastic.   It really lays it all out there.   The remarks about Ann Curry at the roast for Lauer are disgusting.     

• Love 9
31 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

This makes me sad, but then I get the feeling from her that she feels she is near the end of her life at 81 and  has enough money for herself and her heirs to live a comfortable life. So if she's ok with it, then good for her.

I don’t know. There are always heirs her music rights can go to, children, grandchildren, eventually great grandchildren and so forth and so on. I’d think it be better to keep the catalog in the family so that it may be passed down generation to generation. It makes me sad that she would do this being that so many artists fight very hard to hang on to or get back their music rights. This choice makes me wonder if she’s run into some financial difficulties and needs the money that selling her music rights would bring in. Whatever the reasoning this is unfortunate. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I remember somebody, I think it was David Spade (might've been when he was when he was on "SNL" and part of the "Weekend Update" thing), saying of Katie Couric, "I'll give you a thousand dollars to stop smiling." I feel like a lot of people won't be too surprised by these revelations about her, 'cause I recall there being a lot of dislike for her over the years as it was. 

That's interesting. I didn't know that she wasn't liked by a lot of people. Maybe her interviews of celebs were a bit too edgy behind that precious smile.

• Love 5

I don't know how to feel. I agree it signals that she seems done with managing her music and image but she's been saying that for a while with all the projects mentioned in the Variety article being part of her farewell/retirement. I don't know enough about BMG to guess whether they will manage things well from here on out. 

As for things being managed by family, we know that can go terribly as well. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Enero said:

I don’t know. There are always heirs her music rights can go to, children, grandchildren, eventually great grandchildren and so forth and so on. I’d think it be better to keep the catalog in the family so that it may be passed down generation to generation. It makes me sad that she would do this being that so many artists fight very hard to hang on to or get back their music rights. This choice makes me wonder if she’s run into some financial difficulties and needs the money that selling her music rights would bring in. Whatever the reasoning this is unfortunate. 

I am no IP lawyer but I am not sure how many generations those rights would be passed on for. Because after she dies the copyright eventually expires right (I am just not sure how long it is)? But if she gets a big chunk of money now that can be invested, that could be generational wealth. Plus I imagine with the changes in the music business those rights aren't worth what they once we're. CD sales have cratered and streaming pays pretty much nothing.  Maybe she sees they will be worth even less in the future. 

It used to be the super duper rich bought yachts. Now they buy spaceships. It saddens me these same men (and it is always men) who spend that much money on a (barely) space ride do their level best to avoid paying taxes.

It is hard for.me to get too upset about this whole rich guy space race. Sure it would be nice if  instead they spent their money on something that benefited others directly. But they probably wouldn't. If it wasn't rockets, it would be a mega yacht, or buying and maintaining a private island or flying a balloon around the world or some stupid shit. At least going into space requires scientific/engineering research that could help people in the future.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Useful 6
  • Love 8
19 hours ago, Bookish Jen said:

Just read the article. Katie Couric is a horrible human being.

Agreed. And the stuff about Ann Curry. Wow. Absolutely disgusting. Hopefully the NYP article has the intended affect and doesn’t cause a sales boost out of curiosity. 

• Love 13
9 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Plus I imagine with the changes in the music business those rights aren't worth what they once we're. CD sales have cratered and streaming pays pretty much nothing.  Maybe she sees they will be worth even less in the future. 

The rights to Tina Turner's likeness has the potential to bring in millions.  It's why with other estates the living have the dead posthumously making CGI movies (James Dean) or performing hologram concert tours (Whitney Houston).  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 1

Katie Couric is awful.  Just awful.  I never liked her anyway, but am still surprised at how shallow, vile and self-absorbed she really is.  I wonder how many women she destroyed over the years - by her own actions and by aiding and abetting predators like Matt Lauer - that we will never hear about?  Maureen Callahan's review in the Post is a nice start at a  comeuppance.  Sadly, though, accusations of misogyny and acceptance of harassment and rape by her male colleagues won't move someone like Couric.  However, Callahan's line that Couric's "downward trajectory — from “Today” to her disastrous short tenure at “CBS Evening News” to a poorly-executed talk show to Yahoo! to Instagram Stories or whatever she’s doing now" will certainly bite.

Does anyone know if the space traveling zillionaires are sharing their research with the public, or will it all be proprietary? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
On 10/1/2021 at 11:10 PM, Pickles Aplenty said:

Britney looks amazing.  As far as I'm concerned, she can pose nude all she wants.  Having a body like that at 39 takes some serious work.

I thought she looked pretty ragged in the photo I saw.

On 10/2/2021 at 10:25 AM, BlackberryJam said:

So what? Why should she be subjected to repeated examinations? Those examinations can be a horrible and traumatic experience in and of themselves. Why should she agree to do it again when she’s not engaged in activities which warrant that?

The original poster said something about the conservatorship being unwarranted, and without mental health evaluation, it is not possible to be sure that it wasn't warranted.

Personally I don't give a shit about Britney Spears or whether or not there should be a conservatorship.  I'll be glad when she isn't on my freaking tv every time I turn on the new, though.  This story really doesn't merit the kind of coverage it's gotten, imo.

On 10/3/2021 at 4:27 AM, kathyk2 said:

You could add Charlie Sheen and Kanye West to that list.

Kanye, especially, should have a serious mental health eval.

• Love 10
On 10/4/2021 at 10:21 PM, kariyaki said:

My only concern about Shatner going to space is that he’s kind of old now and the G-forces to escape gravity might crush him.

I still find it hard to believe that the man is 90.  He doesn't look it and he doesn't act it.  Good for him.

On 10/4/2021 at 10:45 PM, shoregirl said:

Even pretend space heroes can inspire people to become involved in space exploration.

16 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I want to agree with you but I can't agree with you because Bezos is involved.

Blue Origin is funded on the back of 1.4MM Amazon employees, many of whom aren't exactly treated well by his design and contempt for them.

Very true, but he's not going to give that money to his employees.  He's going to spend it on something and at least this is helping to push the US back into space exploration.

14 hours ago, Enero said:

Eh, it's her work to do with as she wishes, and this is what she decided to do.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:
On 10/1/2021 at 11:10 PM, Pickles Aplenty said:

Britney looks amazing.  As far as I'm concerned, she can pose nude all she wants.  Having a body like that at 39 takes some serious work.

I thought she looked pretty ragged in the photo I saw.

If this is ragged, then I should start showering in clothing. https://www.instagram.com/p/CUn96G6FFHQ/?utm_medium=copy_link

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, tribeca said:

Pretty sure Will Smith turned down the matrix for Wild Wild West.  

Thank goodness. Not that Neo was an Oscar winning role by any means but Will would’ve been all wrong for that role. 

• Love 4

But the movie would have been totally different.  It could have fit around who he is and worked.  Will has been a been action star throughout my adolescence so I wouldn't count him out.  Also, I think he is who the creators wanted.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6