Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, with all the discussion about Bobby Flay and his future…..I thought I’d post this. I was SHOCKED that he was expecting that kind of money PLUS more options.  Guy gets 80 mil!  They’re talented I guess but that kind of money……🤣.  Bye Bobby.

https://people.com/food/bobby-flay-100-million-contract-negotiations-with-food-network/

Thank you so much !  This really fills in the blanks!

From the article:

He has won four Daytime Emmys during his years on TV, two James Beard awards, and has even received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Yup!  We know what happened on that day!  😄

I really prefer Bobby's shows over Guy's.  I can't believe Guy gets paid that much, yet, I kinda do.  He is so damn ubiquitous on FN.  Welp, the landscape of FN is going to look different now.  I kind of have a naive hope for more non-white chefs filling it in.... but who knows?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

Who leaked the numbers?   Food network to justify letting him go -- see his outrageous demands?   And where they his first offer (always offer high so you can come down)?   Honestly if you are already making $80 million and you are negotiating your next contract what would you start with?   "Oh that's fine, let's just leave it at $80."   Of course not.   You ask for more money.   Especially if they wanted him to appear on a gazillion shows in addition to his own.

I have similar feelings in this to the Scarlett Johansson situation. I 100% understand it. You should keep escalating in contract negotiations if they consider you valuable enough to keep working with you. But, past a point, you're overpaid either way and I can't be that bothered to care if you get what you think you're "worth."

• Love 12
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

I have similar feelings in this to the Scarlett Johansson situation. I 100% understand it. You should keep escalating in contract negotiations if they consider you valuable enough to keep working with you. But, past a point, you're overpaid either way and I can't be that bothered to care if you get what you think you're "worth."

That's me too. I'd like fairness in Hollywood. I'm not telling anyone to shortchange themselves even if we're talking many millions. But of all the things going on in the world, celebs complaining about not making enough millions isn't a big concern for me. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Anduin said:

William Shatner just went to space and back. Far too much rigmorale and procedure involved with getting people out of the capsule. I watched launch, landing, and long enough to make sure he was okay. None of the further fluff surrounding it all.

And then Bezos casually walked up and opened the capsule like it was no big deal.  I wondered if that was a setup for him to be the one to open the door.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

And then Bezos casually walked up and opened the capsule like it was no big deal.  I wondered if that was a setup for him to be the one to open the door.

Oh it most definitely was.    There was a LONG time of people just circling the capsule and them moving ropes, then working on the door.   Then, Bezos ceremonially walked up and opened the door.   Because god forbid anyone else do it.   

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Oh it most definitely was.    There was a LONG time of people just circling the capsule and them moving ropes, then working on the door.   Then, Bezos ceremonially walked up and opened the door.   Because god forbid anyone else do it.   

Yeah, my friend and I were wondering why it was so difficult and why it was taking them so long to open the door.  🙄

• Love 1

5 hours ago, bobalina said:

From his little speech Shatner now believes he's Capt. Kirk.

I suspect that's the case for many years now, this is just a reconfirmation.

1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

Oh, absolutely. He's the boss, he gets to hog the glory.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Anduin said:

long enough to make sure he was okay

Ha I have a soft spot for him and I thought about him most of the day today with random pleas in my head of  "don't let anything happen to him". I only know him from Boston Legal and his Twitter. Glad to see his adventure was trouble free.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, bobalina said:

15 hours ago, Blergh said:

So what else is new after 55 years?LOL

Yep, William Shatner has always believed he was Captain Kirk.

7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Wondered when this would happen….finally did. Stones retire Brown Sugar due to lyrics.  I get it.  

https://www.tmz.com/2021/10/13/rolling-stones-retire-brown-sugar-slavery-depictions/

You know, I've heard that song since it was released & besides the actual words "brown sugar" & a few other random words, I had absolutely no idea what the lyrics were. Today was the first time I ever read them, & I couldn't believe I had no idea it was about slavery. 

• Love 10

"As Tears Go By" is the only Stones song I can actually understand the lyrics to. I love the scene in Jumpin' Jack Flash where Whoopi is trying to figure out the first few lines of the song.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, GaT said:

Yep, William Shatner has always believed he was Captain Kirk.

Oh well.  There are worse characters he could have chosen.

“Everybody in the world needs to see it. It was unbelievable. The little things – the weightless – but to see the blue color (of the sky) whip by you and now you're staring into blackness. … And then it's gone. It was so moving. This experience did something unbelievable….

"What you have given me is the most profound experience I can imagine. I hope I never recover from this." 

William Shatner

Edited by Crs97
  • Love 21
6 hours ago, GaT said:

You know, I've heard that song since it was released & besides the actual words "brown sugar" & a few other random words, I had absolutely no idea what the lyrics were. Today was the first time I ever read them, & I couldn't believe I had no idea it was about slavery. 

I'm surprised the fanbase didn't boo them off the stage the first time Mr. Jagger . .. intoned it but then I've never been a fan of singers who always sound as though they're on the verge of throwing up.

Oh, and I know that Mr. Jagger has been anything but a Boy Scout in his offstage life but it is public record that his firstborn acknowledged child  Karis Hunt Jagger  (born 1970) is biracial so shame on him and his bandmates for not having pulled the plug on it out of consideration for her (if not other African-Americans). 

Yeah, better late than never but, IMO in this case, barely better. . .

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, GaT said:

Same here.  All I ever heard was "brown sugar" and never paid attention to the rest of the lyrics.  Now I'm appalled and feel like an idiot for not knowing the lyrics. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

I keep thinking that they should shoot a few of those flat-earthers up there.

And maybe the leader can blast off in an escape pod and "forget" to bring them back.

Kidding! Kidding!

Sort of.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • LOL 9
  • Love 9
On 10/13/2021 at 11:22 AM, bobalina said:

Perhaps we heard a different speech?  What the news played last night from him sounded genuine and heartfelt to me.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I have always known Brown Sugar's lyrics. For me, they are pretty easy to understand. As a Stones fan, I am so glad they retired the song.

I don't think I ever knew the actual lyrics, but I knew what the song was about.  I'm glad they're retiring it, too.  Should have happened decades ago.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I have always known Brown Sugar's lyrics. For me, they are pretty easy to understand. As a Stones fan, I am so glad they retired the song.

I'm a Stones fan as well but I am embarrassed now to admit I had no idea about the lyrics to that song!  And it's not like it hasn't gotten plenty of airplay over the years.  

• Love 2

For all the whining about "cancel culture", I'm AMAZED that radio stations still play "Brown Sugar". I mean, we can more or less successfully discourage "Baby It's Cold Outside"*, but we're willing to shrug off "Brown Sugar"?!

*Not that this bothers me, because I loathe "Baby It's Cold Outside", but I actually think "Brown Sugar" is a few notches above it in terms of sheer repugnance. 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 11
On 10/10/2021 at 12:21 PM, Blergh said:

I'm relieved he turned it down. Although I considered the title character a rather unlikable person, Mr. Broderick had enough depth and charm to somehow at least make the movie tolerable. 

It would have absolutely sank with Anthony Michael Hall. He's not a bad actor, but he doesn't have the charisma to pull off Ferris. Ferris only works if you believe he is the type of person that could sell ice cubes to an Eskimo. Matthew Broderick in his prime had that. You believed that people would hang on to his every word and follow him anywhere. The only other age appropriate actor I could see playing Ferris is Robert Downey Jr.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 21
51 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

I'm a Stones fan as well but I am embarrassed now to admit I had no idea about the lyrics to that song!  And it's not like it hasn't gotten plenty of airplay over the years.  

I just think I pay just as much to lyrics as music. Many people have stated they never paid much to attention it. No need to be embarassed.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, SusannahM said:

I’m a Stones fan as well who never knew what the lyrics were. I do pay attention to lyrics but I never knew the ones to Brown Sugar because I never cared for that song anyway and would always skip it or change the channel when it came on.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

I’m a Stones fan as well who never knew what the lyrics were. I do pay attention to lyrics but I never knew the ones to Brown Sugar because I never cared for that song anyway and would always skip it or change the channel when it came on.

I didn't really know the lyrics but I knew the song was gross. I actually thought it was about prostitution maybe but I never liked it so never listened. I just looked up the lyrics and HOLY HELL! How did that ever get airtime?!!?!?! (I know how, but it saddens me). 

• Love 11

I've been reading comments in a few places & listening to people on gossip type shows, & apparently quite a lot of people had no idea what the lyrics were to "Brown Sugar". I don't feel so alone now, but holy hell, what does it say about music when a song can be as popular as "Brown Sugar" with so many people not having any idea what the lyrics are? For years?

• Love 5
On 10/13/2021 at 12:30 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

I don't have Graves Disease but I am hypothyroid. I can a attest to how messed up you can get when the thyroid is out of whack. BUT. Once on proper medication and your hormones normalize all the symptoms go away. So if she's still having problems she's not taking her meds. Much more likely to be substance abuse.

Break out the skinny ties, Tears for Fears is releasing their first album in 17 years. They both look completely different now. Roland Orzabal also describes his wife more or less drinking herself to death and being her caretaker when she developed alcohol-related dementia. Several of the songs are inspired by this. The first single/video is in the article.

I'm very intrigued by this news.  Their Songs From The Big Chair album (yes, album) was one of my favorites from that era (ca. 1984), and I played the grooves right out of it.

Sorry to hear of RO's wife's issues and her death.  Caring for an ill spouse can be soul crushing.  Good that he has an outlet.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I think it just says that Jagger mumbles a lot.

I just read the lyrics - and wow I cannot believe this gets played on mainstream radio so much - but honestly the only lines I ever really heard were "brown sugar" "just around midnight" and "like a young girl should".  I'm going to agree with you here and say that the way Jagger sings the song is the reason few people noticed what the hell he's been saying all these years!

• Love 4

I think we can all agree that no one thought Mick was singing about baking with actual brown sugar.

I hate that that song is such a bloody ear worm.  I have not been able to get it out of my head all day.

• Love 9

I didn't exactly know all the lyrics for quite some time, but all I needed to hear was "Brown sugar, how come you taste so good?" and "just like a young girl should" and thought that it was a bit TMI and adding the "young girl" remark made it creepy. 

Apparently, it's an antislavery song and maybe I could buy that if it were a heart-rendering dirge, but as an upbeat song that makes people want to get up and dance?  No.  Just no. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, GaT said:

I've been reading comments in a few places & listening to people on gossip type shows, & apparently quite a lot of people had no idea what the lyrics were to "Brown Sugar". I don't feel so alone now, but holy hell, what does it say about music when a song can be as popular as "Brown Sugar" with so many people not having any idea what the lyrics are? For years?

Ever hear Louie, Louie? There were actually  congressional hearings to determine if t h e lyrics were too filthy for the radio. The decision was nobody could understand them any way.

• LOL 11
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I didn't exactly know all the lyrics for quite some time, but all I needed to hear was "Brown sugar, how come you taste so good?" and "just like a young girl should" and thought that it was a bit TMI and adding the "young girl" remark made it creepy. 

Apparently, it's an antislavery song and maybe I could buy that if it were a heart-rendering dirge, but as an upbeat song that makes people want to get up and dance?  No.  Just no. 

I will say there's precedent for upbeat tune, depressing lyrics. The Dropkick Murphys have Four Dead Cheerleaders, State of Massachusetts, and Johnny I Hardly Knew Ya. But they never seemed to be glorifying the subject matter.

I once heard that Brown Sugar was about sleeping with black women. Fine, I thought. Never bothered to look it up to verify. Yikes.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

So there's this YouTube video circulating of an unknown actor channeling Robin Williams- specifically on the day he finds out about Jim Belushi's overdose in 1982, and Robin's daughter Zelda basically felt the need to step and tell people to stop spamming her with the video.

That's gotta be such a weird position for a person to be in, when you're the progeny of a beloved icon who died an untimely death and people feel the need to unleash their grief on you, like it's an obligation on you because you're expected to carry on the legacy of your parent. 

I thought this was a great quote from Zelda from a social media post she did the day before the "death anniversary" in 2020:

"It's hard for me on regular, good days to remain the person expected to graciously accept the world's need to share their memories of him and express their condolences for his loss. As I've said in the past, while I am constantly touched by all of your boundless continued love for him, some days it can feel a bit like being seen as a roadside memorial – a place, not a person – where people drive past and leave their sentiments to then go about their days comforted their love for him was witnessed. But sometimes, that leaves me emotionally buried under a pile of other's memories instead of my own. After all, even roses by the truckload still weigh a ton."

"Roses by the truckload still weigh a ton" really gets to me. Man, that's gotta be a bizarre place to be in. I'm sure Billie Lourde has similar thoughts. Zelda clearly loves and appreciates her father's fans, but being turned into the receptacle of their grief has to be way too much. Like they're only coming up to her to remind her that her father died and they're sad that he's dead and to tell them how sad her father's death makes them feel.

• Love 18
13 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

"Roses by the truckload still weigh a ton" really gets to me. Man, that's gotta be a bizarre place to be in. I'm sure Billie Lourde has similar thoughts. Zelda clearly loves and appreciates her father's fans, but being turned into the receptacle of their grief has to be way too much. Like they're only coming up to her to remind her that her father died and they're sad that he's dead and to tell them how sad her father's death makes them feel.

The flip side annoys me, too, fans thinking they're entitled to the family's expressions of grief.  I remember when Luke Perry's daughter was getting "Why haven't you said anything?" type messages on social media after his stroke.  Seriously, people?  She had to rush home from Malawi to be with her family when he died, but even if she was right here the whole time, she was a teenager whose dad was dying.

When she posted the day after his death, she expressed gratitude for the beautiful messages, and said, "I’m not really sure what to say or do in this situation, it’s something you aren’t ever given a lesson on how to handle, especially when it’s all happening in the public eye. So bear with me and know that I am grateful for all the love. Just, being grateful quietly."

• Love 23

Those people should take the money they would have spent on roses and donate to the Lewy Body Dementia Association in memory of Robin. I'm sure his family would appreciate it much more.

For the Dolly Parton lovers, Dolly owns the internet again.

Dolly Parton is offering a public service by informing the masses of exactly what kind of person will steal your man.

The country superstar participated in the new Twitter trend known as the red flag meme on Wednesday. To join in, users post characteristics about an individual, warning signs or instances that they believe to be red flags, and follow up that description with, well, a string of red flag emojis. It’s all deliciously shady.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

So there's this YouTube video circulating of an unknown actor channeling Robin Williams- specifically on the day he finds out about Jim Belushi's overdose in 1982, and Robin's daughter Zelda basically felt the need to step and tell people to stop spamming her with the video.

That's gotta be such a weird position for a person to be in, when you're the progeny of a beloved icon who died an untimely death and people feel the need to unleash their grief on you, like it's an obligation on you because you're expected to carry on the legacy of your parent. 

I thought this was a great quote from Zelda from a social media post she did the day before the "death anniversary" in 2020:

"It's hard for me on regular, good days to remain the person expected to graciously accept the world's need to share their memories of him and express their condolences for his loss. As I've said in the past, while I am constantly touched by all of your boundless continued love for him, some days it can feel a bit like being seen as a roadside memorial – a place, not a person – where people drive past and leave their sentiments to then go about their days comforted their love for him was witnessed. But sometimes, that leaves me emotionally buried under a pile of other's memories instead of my own. After all, even roses by the truckload still weigh a ton."

The worst part of this Zelda Willliams thing is the mansplainers doubling down on why people were tagging her in that video.  It's bad enough that people were bombarding Zelda with this video, but when she politely asks people to stop that is not an invitation for any explanations.  

• Love 13
4 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

On side note, people think that based on a five minute short film an unproven actor should be be given the keys to a potential biopic that would probably cost 10's of millions to make? That's stupid. He did a fine job but come on. 

I loved Robin Williams, especially back in the 80s.  I loved his stand up, Mork and Mindy and his most of his movies.  My UO is that this guy did a fine job, but I wasn't blown away by it.  He would definitely do if no one else could do better, but let's screen test some people.  And while I can't see anyone else looking more like Robin than he does,  there are a lot of actors can pull off great imitations.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I don't think Shatner has an ego problem. He has a persona that might be construed by some as ego but he is to me a straight shooter who is living life to the fullest. 

I was looking for an article about him and came across this from his facebook group page and saw his pinned announcement at the top 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/272733319504206/  

From that note he doesn't come across as wanting to have his ego propped up. 

Plus also, I want this to happen now. The Queen has mourned long enough over Phillip... time to have the time of her life with Shatner. And now I have two song loops in my head...

image.thumb.png.98ea79278f8545663588f8ff51705424.png

I seriously wish this would happen. 

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I loved Robin Williams, especially back in the 80s.  I loved his stand up, Mork and Mindy and his most of his movies.  My UO is that this guy did a fine job, but I wasn't blown away by it.  He would definitely do if no one else could do better, but let's screen test some people.  And while I can't see anyone else looking more like Robin than he does,  there are a lot of actors can pull off great imitations.

IMO, he did a fairly good job depicted what Mr. Williams's reaction might have been to Mr. Belushi's death. However, even though he facially resembled the late Mr. Williams, he didn't quite have the daunting build that somewhat made the late performer's manic intensity a bit more intimidating than otherwise. Seriously, if Mr. Williams had gotten into working out  with the same drive in how   he had partied, he possibly  could have given Carrot Top and even Arnold runs for their money.  Yet, I agree that the contemporary performer    did somewhat capture the angst and even a bit of the 'sad clown' inner turmoil that the late Mr. Williams attempted to overcompensate for via his manic side.  

All the above said, I am with the posters who believe that Mr. Williams's surviving family does NOT need to be so bombarded by this and other displays of angst over his eventual fate. Oh, and yes, it would be far better to contribute to research in how to eradicate Lewy-Body Dementia and other dementias as well as in helping to support those afflicted and their overwhelmed &unsung caregivers instead of burying strangers with flowers. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 6