Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Funny, with all of Ferris' and his friends' shenanigans to choose from, one of my favorite scenes is the one with Jenny and the kid played by Charlie Sheen in the police station. 

Mine too. Every scene with Jennifer Grey was the most entertainment I got out of that movie. I thought she was hysterically funny, the rest, especially Ferris' character was just 'meh' for me. 

19 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

My wife was never allowed to watch ferris buellers day off as a kid because her parents thought it would give her bad ideas. 

But then My grandparents never allowed me to watch the love boat because it wasnt 'appropriate' for kids.  

And a friend of mine wasn't allowed to watch threes company.  Men and women living together!!!   

The point being people find problems with everything and it's impossible to please everyone.  Yes artists have some responsibility for not glorifying things but viewers and fans have the primary responsibility for learning context, interpretation and the fact writing about something does not always mean endorsing it.  

My parents wouldn't allow us to watch M*A*S*H, my dad thought it was too graphic for us. 

LOL, my godmother took her 2 kids, me and my brother and sister and another cousin, (we were all between 9-12 years old) to see the movie Grease in the theater when it came out.  She did not realize what the subject matter was thinking it would be a fun musical to entertain us. Boy was she wrong. I don't think we made it through the first half of the movie before she ushered us all out. We still tease her about that! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, letter8358 said:

I've always been a fan of Wil Wheaton's but more so ever since my friend told me to start following him on social media after a post where he discussed his depression and anxiety. The guy is brutally honest about his upbringing and mental health issues from it. He also responds to comments, good or bad. 

• Love 11
55 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

LOL, my godmother took her 2 kids, me and my brother and sister and another cousin, (we were all between 9-12 years old) to see the movie Grease in the theater when it came out.  She did not realize what the subject matter was thinking it would be a fun musical to entertain us. Boy was she wrong. I don't think we made it through the first half of the movie before she ushered us all out. We still tease her about that! 

Same thing happened with me.  My mom and her friend, who had two daughters around my age (I was 9), brought us having no idea what it was about. 

We weren't allowed to watch M*A*S*H whenever we visited our grandparents house because my grandfather was a WW2 vet (with some harrowing stories) and he thought it was extremely disrespectful to soldiers and veterans. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

We weren't allowed to watch M*A*S*H whenever we visited our grandparents house because my grandfather was a WW2 vet (with some harrowing stories) and he thought it was extremely disrespectful to soldiers and veterans. 

My grandfather, also a WWII vet really enjoyed Hogan's Heroes.  I wish I had thought to ask him why!  Looking back I would have thought he'd dislike it but that wasn't the case at all. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Dani said:

Twilight presents a man sneaking in and watching a teenager sleep as a great romance. That’s not interpretation. That is deliberately romanticizing stalking. 

Reminds me of an ep of Supernatural when Dean gets turned into a vampire. He does the same thing and mentions how creepy it is. (I think I remembered that right)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Dani said:

Mainly, I think society does a piss poor job teaching what a healthy relationship looks like which as a resulted in people seeing songs like I’ll Be Watching You as romantic. 

I think it goes back much farther than any of these songs. From a young age, and for decades, if not centuries, society, mostly via media (books, art, stories, plays, and into modern music, movies and tele) has subconsciously taught that obsession is romantic. Look at Wuthering Heights. Before I ever read it I thought it was meant to be one of the most romantic novels ever written. It is actually about the most toxic relationship of the two most toxic people I have ever witnessed! At some point humans decided all type of "passion" were the same as love.

When I was in high school I devoured romance novels, those terrible bodice rippers. I'm pretty sure they all included rape, manipulation, violence, stalking and control in some form and that the worse the "heroes" behaviour, the more he stalked the virginal young beauty, the more he treated her like his property, the more in love with her he became. 

It's why Twilight sold so well. Twilight didn't make people think a toxic relationship is good, Twilight was popular because we as a society already are bombarded with media that tells us toxic relationships are good.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
10 hours ago, Katy M said:

But, what do you mean by responsibility?  Do you mean that they should be criminally charged every time someone stalks someone and says they got the idea from Twilight? 

Of course not. I was referring to a larger cultural and social responsibility. To be clear I am not necessarily saying that artists have that kind of responsibility just that it’s something that I contemplate occasionally. I’d like it if artists were more thoughtful about the messages that they send out into the world particularly when they have impressionable young fans. They’re not obligated to do that and I’m not going to criticize them for not but I prefer those that do. 

4 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I think it goes back much farther than any of these songs. From a young age, and for decades, if not centuries, society, mostly via media (books, art, stories, plays, and into modern music, movies and tele) has subconsciously taught that obsession is romantic. Look at Wuthering Heights. Before I ever read it I thought it was meant to be one of the most romantic novels ever written. It is actually about the most toxic relationship of the two most toxic people I have ever witnessed! At some point humans decided all type of "passion" were the same as love.

When I was in high school I devoured romance novels, those terrible bodice rippers. I'm pretty sure they all included rape, manipulation, violence, stalking and control in some form and that the worse the "heroes" behaviour, the more he stalked the virginal young beauty, the more he treated her like his property, the more in love with her he became. 

It's why Twilight sold so well. Twilight didn't make people think a toxic relationship is good, Twilight was popular because we as a society already are bombarded with media that tells us toxic relationships are good.

I completely agree. That’s why I said that artists like Adele and Stephanie Myers are just perpetuating toxic beliefs that they were raised with. These songs, movies, books and shows are symptoms of a deeper problem with how we teach, or the lack of teaching, children to interact with one another. How many little girls are taught that the boy who is mean to them really likes her? It’s really not surprising that people grow up to think that Every Breath You Take is romantic.  

Edited by Guest
17 minutes ago, Dani said:

How many little girls are taught that the boy who is mean to them really likes her? It’s really not surprising that people grow up to think that Every Breath You Take is romantic.  

I'm currently doing a rewatch of Psych and saw the ep tonight were little Shawn comes home with a black eye. A girl hit him because he wasn't paying attention to her. His father said it was because she liked him. It is meant to be a cute moment but I'm all "no, you do NOT hit people because you like them, even if they are paying more attention to their tater tots than your talking." The same goes for pulling pigtails. We need to teach children that being mean to someone because you want their attention is not healthy and if you are purposely inflicting harm on someone, physical, mental or emotional, then you certainly do not love them. Abuse is not love. 

The sad thing is that this behaviour is so deeply ingrained in our society that it has become normal and acceptable. It is sadly not surprising that people pick songs about stalking as their wedding song, or that women are "in love" with psychopathic Joe on You. Or that your boyfriend breaking into your bedroom to watch you sleep (as I hear Edward? does in Twilight) is considered romantic. 

I do like songs like I'll Be Watching You by Sting or One Way or Another by Blondie (another stalker song) or Someone Like You by Adele (which is my #1 go to song when I am alone and want to belt it out like I can actually sing), but I don't consider any of them love songs. 

I also love the show You and I think the actor is incredibly charismatic, but I would never want to meet Joe IRL. I just think he's a fascinating character. 

• Love 12

"I changed the whole game," Porter said indignantly in a recent interview with the Sunday Times, describing his impact on gender non-conforming fashion.

And then, more directly taking a shot at Vogue and Styles: "He doesn't care, he's just doing it because it's the thing to do. This is politics for me. This is my life. I had to fight my entire life to get to the place where I could wear a dress to the Oscars ... All he has to do is be white and straight."

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/20/1047692882/harry-styles-billy-porter-gender-fluid-fashion

It's a worthwhile article that presents a lot of context.

But Porter can't claim to own a fashion genre of fashion with a rich history led by countless other transgender and gay people of color—and that's a good thing. It's important to respect and recognize where culture comes from, but it's also changing and evolving to the needs of our times.

[...] 

It's Styles' right to keep his dating life private, including his partners' genders. Since he has only dated women publicly, though, those less generous might call his strategy "queerbaiting," wherein an artist hints at being LGBT while failing to offer real representation. Asked point blank, he says he's not just adding sexual ambiguity to his gender expression to be interesting, but he also hasn't given his sexuality more thought than it being experimental and fun.

The question isn't whether Styles' presentation is authentic, or whether there's enough space for two men to be disrupting gender binaries in fashion. A better question to ask is who takes up more space, and why.

Porter is fair to critique Styles' positionality as a straight-passing white man who hasn't publicly lived through the isolation and shame of the AIDs crisis, or faced career threats like Porter's lived experiences as a Black gay man in the acting industry.

Styles, with his largely apolitical stance and soft presence online, presents a more palatable symbol of rejecting gender conformity for Vogue than other more vocal, politically invested openly LGBT individuals. That speaks to his privilege, as Porter points out: Styles hasn't had to substantially risk anything in pursuing his artistic self-expression, compared to LGBT artists of color; in fact, he's celebrated for it. There are harsher realities for LGBTQ individuals like Porter, where dressing outside the strict confines of the gender binary was risking loss of livelihood, or even death.

• Useful 10
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

My wife was never allowed to watch ferris buellers day off as a kid because her parents thought it would give her bad ideas. 

But then My grandparents never allowed me to watch the love boat because it wasnt 'appropriate' for kids.  

And a friend of mine wasn't allowed to watch threes company.  Men and women living together!!!   

9 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

8 hours ago, SusannahM said:

My grandfather, also a WWII vet really enjoyed Hogan's Heroes.  I wish I had thought to ask him why!  Looking back I would have thought he'd dislike it but that wasn't the case at all. 

I wasn't allowed to watch Hogan's Heroes because my parents didn't want me to think Nazis were funny people.

• Love 6

I don't get Sting's song being included in this discussion. To my awareness he's always acknowledged Every Breath You Take is about stalking, and the song is meant to be cautionary not an anthem. In  contrast, Adele's songs have enough of an air of self-justification about them to merit them being deemed stalker-y IMO.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 8

I love Adele and the songs mentioned due to her voice, the music, and emotions of the songs. Most of us have been there when we know we can't have someone but wish we'd find someone like them. I enjoy Someone Like You due to that. Hello is really great to listen to when you miss someone. It's also nice to listen to you when you wish someone was genuinely sorry and still cared. 

That said, yes, I wish romanticizing of stalking would stop in music. Most of us know better, but there are folks out there who don't. Not too long ago, one of my own good went to an ex's job randomly, and then she wanted me to go with her again. I was shocked a normally sweet, smart person didn't realize she was literally stalking. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, GaT said:

I wasn't allowed to watch Hogan's Heroes because my parents didn't want me to think Nazis were funny people.

I just always find this interesting.  Werner Klemperer and John Banner (Klink and Schultz) were both Jewish.  John Banner emigrating the US from Austria shortly after Germany annexed it.  Both only agreed to play the parts if the Nazis were never allowed to win at anything on the show.

Robert Clary who played LeBeau was also Jewish and his family was in a concentration camp in France during the war.

• Useful 6
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I don't get Sting's song being included in this discussion. To my awareness he's always acknowledged Every Breath You Take is about stalking, and the song is meant to be cautionary not an anthem. In  contrast, Adele's songs have enough of an air of self-justification about them to merit them being deemed stalker-y IMO.

He has it's just people still misinterpret it or don't listen and find it romantic somehow. But no I don't blame sting.  

Much like born in the USA.  Not at all a patriotic pro-usa song unless you just listen to the refrain.  

• Love 10
9 hours ago, GaT said:

46 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I just always find this interesting.  Werner Klemperer and John Banner (Klink and Schultz) were both Jewish.  John Banner emigrating the US from Austria shortly after Germany annexed it.  Both only agreed to play the parts if the Nazis were never allowed to win at anything on the show.

Robert Clary who played LeBeau was also Jewish and his family was in a concentration camp in France during the war.

I wasn't allowed to watch Hogan's Heroes for the same reason; though if my parents had watched an episode, they'd have seen that the Nazis were buffoons and the Allied prisoners put plot after plot, scheme after scheme over on them.  Sometimes satire is just lost on people.

Klemperer also sang opera, if I recall correctly.

• Love 5
On 10/20/2021 at 10:03 AM, Shannon L. said:

Funny, with all of Ferris' and his friends' shenanigans to choose from, one of my favorite scenes is the one with Jenny and the kid played by Charlie Sheen in the police station. 

You aren't the only one. That is by far my favorite scene in the movie.  I actually liked pretty much all the scenes that didn't include Ferris.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I don't listen to a lot of music, but I read the Adele lyrics for Someone Like You. She stopped by his house uninvited. Not stalking.

Actually, we can agree to disagree because I do consider it stalking.   She might have surveilled his place before showing up.  Who know?  Fortunately, it's just a song though.

3 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Actually, we can agree to disagree because I do consider it stalking.   She might have surveilled his place before showing up.  Who know?  Fortunately, it's just a song though.

I think there are definite reasons to dislike the song, which I have now listened to and was yet again reminded why I don't listen to the radio because her voice made me a little nauseated. That song is wretched

But nothing in the song says she surveilled him. To make it actual stalking, you have to make additional assumptions about her behavior. It's wholly inappropriate and damn creepy for her to show up at his place, but it's not stalking.

I absolutely agree that fiction has historically romanticized inappropriate behavior, and yes, I remember this back to my days of reading Wuthering Heights, which I hated. I also hate Jane Eyre, which is so misogynistic. 

I think fiction should be romanticizing informed, direct consent. I also read those bodice rippers as a child and wow, are they terrible and yes, they caused me to have a very confused understanding of romance, sex and consent. 

I think there is a movement to reexamine some of that fiction and acknowledge the problematic parts. Like whenever someone mentions Sixteen Candles, it's usually followed by, "Yeah, but then Farmer Ted raped the drunk haircut cheerleader with her boyfriend's approval." We aren't where we need to be with these things, but things are improving.

Back to the original question though, what role does the artist have in correcting romanticized ideals of their work? I don't know. I wish more artists made comments like Sting. 

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

She also might have killed him with a butcher knife, but there's nothing to indicate that.

To me, the fact that after she shows up and he doesn't see her face and falls in love and she says Never mind, I'll find someone like you, says that she didn't stalk him. It was a one off incident and she's going to try to move on.

• Love 15

I love Jeanie in Ferris Bueller.  She’s totally right about Ferris.   It sucks that she’s genuinely afraid of a prowler and no one cares but Ferris’ fake illness has the whole town sympathizing  with him.  I don’t think I would love the movie with a different  cast.  I am trying to imagine the version where Anthony Micheal Hall is Ferris and Emilio Estevez is Cameron and I just don’t see it.

I remember an interview where Sting expressed confusion about “Every Breath You take” being used at weddings.  

Edited by Luckylyn
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Yep. Klemperer's family immigrated from Germany after Hitler came to power too. 

I was a little shocked to see so many people saying their families didn't let them watch Hogan's Heroes because of the Nazis. It never came up in my family. Klink's one of the greatest TV morons ever and was my favorite part of the show. LOL 

My family was more in the "MASH is disrespectful" camp, though they'd still watch it. But the show really pisses off my grandpa, who served in Korea. 

• Love 6

I enjoying this Mel Gibson "Remember When" thread.

He's so disgusting, and yet people hire him. I run a fucking business of my own and I've been made lots of hiring decisions and never once did I say, "Oh this person has a history of misogyny, anti-Semitism, racism and violence, I think that's how I'll hire!" when they are perfectly good candidates who aren't such assholes. 

• Love 19
3 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Wait, how is Taylor Swift getting dragged into this?

Because that's usually the most obvious comparison, and honestly I was surprised to find so much talk about Adele with no mention of Taylor. The lyrics to You Belong With Me are basically, "I know you're with her, but she doesn't understand you, so we should be together instead.' Not quite stalking, maybe, and yet.

Mostly I think it's a matter of whether you like the singer or not. Taylor has decent range, but she was so everywhere and all the time for a while that when the jokes started, they really took hold. Adele lived a pretty private life outside of her work as far as I can tell, since she kept (keeps?) her kid out of the spotlight as much as she can. Even with Stevie Nicks having such an incredibly messy personal life in the past, she's still considered one of the greats. If only because she came out on the other side of the chaos in one piece.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Luckylyn said:

I love Jeanie in Ferris Bueller.  She’s totally right about Ferris.   It sucks that she’s genuinely afraid of a prowler and no one cares but Ferris’ fake illness has the whole town sympathizes with him.  I don’t think I would love the movie with a different  cast.  I am trying to imagine the version where Anthony Micheal Hall is Ferris and Emilio Estevez is Cameron and I just don’t see it.

I remember an interview where Sting expressed confusion about “Every Breath You take” being used at weddings.  

I recall seeing an interview with Sting where people would mention to him that "Every Breath You Take" was their wedding song, to which Sting would deadpan, "Yeah, good luck with that."

• LOL 16
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I enjoying this Mel Gibson "Remember When" thread.

He's so disgusting, and yet people hire him. I run a fucking business of my own and I've been made lots of hiring decisions and never once did I say, "Oh this person has a history of misogyny, anti-Semitism, racism and violence, I think that's how I'll hire!" when they are perfectly good candidates who aren't such assholes. 

The flip side of that is how many people aren't hired because they are labeled difficult because they rebuff someone's (Harvey Weinstein) romantic advances?  Or aren't hired because someone (Katie Couric) felt threatened by you?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

Klemperer also sang opera, if I recall correctly.

His father, Otto Klemperer, was a famous conductor.  It was after his father's death that Werner Klemperer expand his career into opera and musical theater.  He truly was an incredibly talented man.

32 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I absolutely agree that fiction has historically romanticized inappropriate behavior, and yes, I remember this back to my days of reading Wuthering Heights, which I hated.

I disagree that Wuthering Heights romanticized inappropriate behavior.  The reader is supposed to see both Heathcliff's and Cathy's behavior as disturbed, not romantic.  The author's intent was very different from how the book has been perceived since.  I think the Laurence Olivier-Merle Oberon film, which cut out most of the book, had a lot to do with that.

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I disagree that Wuthering Heights romanticized inappropriate behavior.  The reader is supposed to see both Heathcliff's and Cathy's behavior as disturbed, not romantic.  The author's intent was very different from how the book has been perceived since.  I think the Laurence Olivier-Merle Oberon film, which cut out most of the book, had a lot to do with that.

I agree. Every time people gush about it as one of their favorite romances, I just 👀. I ended up really loving the book, but it's not in any way intended as a romance. They're awful people doing awful things to each other. 

I'm also astonished when people say they love Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler's love story. By the end of the book, that relationship is Revolutionary Roads levels of dysfunction, and I really don't think the author intended it to be a great love story, though it's one of the more compelling fictional accounts I've seen of a marriage imploding. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 15
36 minutes ago, Katy M said:

She also might have killed him with a butcher knife, but there's nothing to indicate that.

To me, the fact that after she shows up and he doesn't see her face and falls in love and she says Never mind, I'll find someone like you, says that she didn't stalk him. It was a one off incident and she's going to try to move on.

But she didn't have to show up.  She could have just sent a goodbye text.

32 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

But she didn't have to show up.  She could have just sent a goodbye text.

Sure.  She could have.  But, she didn't.  And that still doesn't make it stalking.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:
2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I don't listen to a lot of music, but I read the Adele lyrics for Someone Like You. She stopped by his house uninvited. Not stalking.

I agree with Blackberryjam it's not stalking. If showing up to someone's house uninvited is stalking than everyone I know is stalking someone. In my part of the world it's so normal to just stop by someone place and to invite someone is just something you do with people you haven't seen in a long time.  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I personally never read Wuthering Heights precisely because of the movie -- it just seemed so overwrought.  And this is coming from someone who loves romance novels.  But last year my husband read it and I could tell he was enjoying it.  I remarked upon him enjoying a dreary romance novel and he flat out said the couple were incredibly toxic and he would not consider them a romantic couple at all because they were quite miserable when it came to each other.  He liked the book so much because he thought the writing was witty and super sharp.

I think it is just another example that a movie or tv adaptation often transforms an original work and it can become something very different that the author's intent.  And because more people consume movies/tv versions of books, they can become over time the prevailing interpretation.  

Which is why I do have some sympathy for book purists when a much beloved book becomes a tv show.  It can be jarring for something be so different.  When 'The Watch' was adapted for BBC last year it was sooooooo not the spirit of the books I think I had an actual physical repulsion reaction to the trailer.  LOL.

And yet, I am really looking forward to The Wheel of Time adaptation even though it looks like it may take some liberties.  It looks like they are keeping the spirit of the book just from the trailer/stills etc.

And if you think about it, a reboot can be considered an adaptation of the original.  They also reinterpret or transform the original story or spirit sometimes to the good and sometimes to the worse. 

• Love 7

So...I'm loving Jamie Lee Curtis right now.

Jamie Lee, 62 — still with a few tears — remains ready to listen. "It's speaking a new language," she says. "It's learning new terminology and words. I am new at it. I am not someone who is pretending to know much about it. And I'm going to blow it, I'm going to make mistakes. I would like to try to avoid making big mistakes."

Jamie Lee says she's learned a few things: "You slow your speech down a little. You become a little more mindful about what you're saying. How you're saying it. You still mess up, I've messed up today twice. We're human."

"But if one person reads this, sees a picture of Ruby and me and says, 'I feel free to say this is who I am,' then it's worth it."

Jamie Lee and daughter Ruby - Coming out as trans

This poor woman, I feel terrible about her therapy experience..

“But I had a negative experience in therapy, so I didn’t come out [as trans] immediately when I probably should have. Then, seven years later, still being Tom at the time, I told the person who is now my fiancé that I am probably trans. And they said, ‘I love you for who you are.’ “

• Love 22

He came to my high school and gave a presentation on Holocaust Remembrance Day. You never see LeBeau with his sleeves pushed up in the entire series because his number would have show. And he was asked the inevitable "Why would you be in this series?" his answer was essentially, I got to make fun of Nazis and make them look like idiots.

Mel Gibson, ugh. I was very dismayed when it was just announced he will star in The Continental, the prequel to John Wick. They couldn't find anyone else? People are probably lining up begging to be in this but they went to Mel. I can't imagine he will bring anything to the role that can't be accomplished by another actor.

• Useful 2
  • Love 21
37 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Dean Cain whines about Superman being bisexual: "It isn't bold or brave".

You have to read the article. The article is really good.

He's not against being gay or bisexual. He's saying that it's not bold or brave because he's not the first or second comic character to be LGBTQ.  

"So I don’t think it’s bold or brave or some crazy new direction. If they had done this 20 years ago, perhaps that would be bold or brave."

“Brave would be having him fighting for the rights of gay people in Iran where they’ll throw you off a building for the offense of being gay,” Cain continued.

• Useful 8
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, xfuse said:

You have to read the article. The article is really good.

He's not against being gay or bisexual. He's saying that it's not bold or brave because he's not the first or second comic character to be LGBTQ.  

"So I don’t think it’s bold or brave or some crazy new direction. If they had done this 20 years ago, perhaps that would be bold or brave."

“Brave would be having him fighting for the rights of gay people in Iran where they’ll throw you off a building for the offense of being gay,” Cain continued.

His words seem reasonable but given his background it’s completely disingenuous. In my opinion he’s they type who claims to support LGTBQ rights but there’s always some caveat used to undercut people in any given situation. 

Edited by Guest
Just now, Dani said:

His words seems reasonable but given his background it’s completely disingenuous. In my opinion he’s they type who claims to support LGTBQ rights but there’s always some caveat used to undercut people in any given situation. 

His comments seem to be aimed at deflecting attention away from social justice issues in America.  Between his previous remarks, use of the word "bandwagoning", and the show on which he chose to have this discussion, I'm not giving him any credit for championing LGBT rights with this:

“Brave would be having him fighting for the rights of gay people in Iran where they’ll throw you off a building for the offense of being gay,” Cain continued.  They’re talking about having him fight climate change and the deportation of refugees, and he’s dating a hacktivist — whatever a hactivist is. Why don’t they have him fight the injustices that created the refugees whose deportation he’s protesting? That would be brave, I’d read that. Or fighting for the rights of women to attend school and have the ability to work and live and boys not to be raped by men under the new warm and fuzzy Taliban — that would be brave. There’s real evil in this world today, real corruption and government overreach, plenty of things to fight against. Human trafficking — real and actual slavery going on. … It’d be great to tackle those issues.”

• Useful 2
  • Love 16

Alec Baldwin was involved in a tragic incident on a film set.

The Sante Fe, New Mexico Sheriff’s Department has confirmed that Alec Baldwin “discharged” the prop gun that killed one Rust crew member and injured director Joel Souza. Director of Photography Halyna Hutchins died not long after being transported to a hospital in Albuquerque, NM.

Here's the official statement from the New Mexico Sheriff's Department (via the Deadline article).

Santa Fe County Sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to the Bonanza Creek Ranch movie set of the western “Rust”, October 21, 2021, when an 911 caller reported a shooting on the set. 

The sheriff’s office confirms that two individuals were shot on the set of Rust. Halyna Hutchins, 42, director of photography and Joel Souza, 48, director, were shot when a prop firearm was discharged by Alec Baldwin, 68, producer and actor. 

Ms. Hutchins was transported, via helicopter, to University of New Mexico Hospital where she was pronounced dead by medical personnel. Mr. Souza was transported by ambulance to Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical center where he is undergoing treatment for his injuries. 

This investigation remains open and active. No charges have been filed in regard to this incident. Witnesses continue to be interviewed by detectives. 

Article from the Santa Fe New Mexican:

A source closed to the investigation said Baldwin, 63, was questioned by investigators late Thursday and was seen by a New Mexican reporter and photographer in tears.

*With few confirmed details, this may just be a case of an improperly prepared prop, as in the Brandon Lee tragedy, where the actor had no knowledge of the condition of the prop firearm.  But, if Baldwin was toying around with the firearm or if the famously temperamental actor was brandishing it in anger, then I could see charges involving criminal negligence being filed.

(I originally posted details about this in the Movies "Business" thread, but since this now involves a "celebrity", I am posting updates here.)

Edited by Just Here
updated lead, based on new details
  • Love 2

How in this day is possible for the person in charge of preparing a prop gun to not do it properly?  It’s happened on sets before….very sad and infuriating.  

https://www.tmz.com/2021/10/21/alec-baldwin-movie-rust-shooting-gun-blanks-new-mexico-two-injured/

If an actor is unaware the gun is actually loaded and is not intending to harm anyone, I’m not sure how they would be charged, since there is no intent. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 16

I think whether or not he faces charges will depend on who was in charge of the prop firearm and whether or not he was filming when it went off. 

But it's an awful situation all around. 

ETA: I just read the TMZ link and it sounds like they were filming.  I would be surprised if he would face charges for that since I doubt he is the one responsible for props or even the direction of the shots.

And it's also eerie because how many murder mysteries start out with someone replacing the fake bullets in a prop gun with real bullets.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 17