Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

To kick off the new thread, I don't know Jojo Siwa, but she's come out and good for her.

https://mobile.twitter.com/itsjojosiwa/status/1352719582977355777

But she's still under 18 so that means she has at least another year before she can throw off the parental yoke. However,in   the meantime, it appears she is having to stoke the hot furnace of their gravy train. I suppose we might be relieved that they didn't appear to pressure their daughter to deny her sexuality but that doesn't mean that they haven't been pressuring her to market herself for their benefit for X number of years.

Frankly, I'll be relieved when she turns 18- and hope she's able to take some time for herself to find out what she TRULY wants in life (regardless of whether she decides to remain in the entertainment industry). 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

To kick off the new thread, I don't know Jojo Siwa, but she's come out and good for her.

https://mobile.twitter.com/itsjojosiwa/status/1352719582977355777

As I recall, she's the less successful alumnus/graduate from that horrible Dance Moms show.  You know.  The one who didn't get to be in every Sia video.

My vague memory also is that while she's nice enough, she's certainly got a unique style.  Super-pulled tight, thin hair, looking almost painfully tight I mean, pulled into a single side ponytail spouting from a comically oversized bow that she always wears.

I wish her well. With weird style choices, her sexuality, whatever.  Unlike most reality stars she does have an actual talent (dancing).

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, Kromm said:

As I recall, she's the less successful alumnus/graduate from that horrible Dance Moms show.  You know.  The one who didn't get to be in every Sia video.

My vague memory also is that while she's nice enough, she's certainly got a unique style.  Super-pulled tight, thin hair, looking almost painfully tight I mean, pulled into a single side ponytail spouting from a comically oversized bow that she always wears.

I wish her well. With weird style choices, her sexuality, whatever.  Unlike most reality stars she does have an actual talent (dancing).

By the time (if ever) she decides to ditch the hairstyle, she will probably be bald in the front. I'm pretty sure she's got traction alopecia from pulling her hair tight all these years.

As for her "talent" I know she's supposed to be a trained dancer, but watch this video (I advise doing it with the sound muted) & tell me if you think she's someone you would call a dancer. She doesn't dance, she clumps, there is no grace to her at all.

Full disclosure if you haven't picked it up already, I am not a fan of Jojo Siwa. At all. 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, GaT said:

By the time (if ever) she decides to ditch the hairstyle, she will probably be bald in the front. I'm pretty sure she's got traction alopecia from pulling her hair tight all these years.

As for her "talent" I know she's supposed to be a trained dancer, but watch this video (I advise doing it with the sound muted) & tell me if you think she's someone you would call a dancer. She doesn't dance, she clumps, there is no grace to her at all.

Full disclosure if you haven't picked it up already, I am not a fan of Jojo Siwa. At all. 

I made the mistake of not muting.

I regret that choice now.  A lot.

The dancing would be okay for a pop star, I guess. For someone who's supposed to be a trained dancer?  Yeah. I get the objection.

But to reiterate, yes I regret not muting.

Math tells me that since Wikipedia says she 17 now, she was probably around 14 in that video.  So honestly, I more feel bad for her than upset at her. 

Also, she probably has to face unending comparisons to Maddie Ziegler, who at the end of the day, even if there are annoying things about her, is undeniably a great dancer.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

As I recall, she's the less successful alumnus/graduate from that horrible Dance Moms show.  You know.  The one who didn't get to be in every Sia video

She has 12 million subscribers on YouTube and her own lines of clothing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

It depends on the audience. JoJo is huge with very young girls. She’s ridiculous and easy to dismiss for anyone over the age of 8 but she’s built an multi-million dollar empire by appealing to 6 year old girls. 

Edited by Guest
22 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Also, she probably has to face unending comparisons to Maddie Ziegler, who at the end of the day, even if there are annoying things about her, is undeniably a great dancer.

Yes, Maddie Ziegler is a much better dancer, but she needs to find someplace else to showcase her dancing besides Sia videos. I have no idea who does the choreography for the videos, but apparently the word "variety" isn't part of their vocabulary. No matter what the song is, she is basically doing the same dance moves. I am sick of seeing the same thing over & over again, especially that "smile really big & tilt your head back & forth" move. It appears in pretty much all of them. 

2 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

She has 12 million subscribers on YouTube and her own lines of clothing.

Yep, I think that's where most of her fame came from, & now she's a friend of Kim Kardashian, so of course that hasn't hurt her fame either.

2 minutes ago, Dani said:

It depends on the audience. JoJo is huge with very young girls. She’s ridiculous and easy to dismiss for anyone over the age of 8 but she’s built an multi-million dollar empire by appealing to 6 year old girls. 

I happened to catch one of her videos one day, & it was her telling how she did her makeup for the red carpet. My first thought was "do 5 year olds care about the red carpet?" No idea who she was trying to appeal to there because her fans sure aren't her age.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, GaT said:

I happened to catch one of her videos one day, & it was her telling how she did her makeup for the red carpet. My first thought was "do 5 year olds care about the red carpet?" No idea who she was trying to appeal to there because her fans sure aren't her age.

Given her regular look her red carpet makeup was probably very sparkly and stuff you would find at Claire’s so, yes, many 5 year olds would care. 

Perhaps the REAL question that needs to be asked re Miss Siwa is the following:

Do parents truly want to have their preteen daughters spend  parental monies on ( much less consider to want to emulate )someone who appears to be on the verge of becoming  the Baby Jane Hudson the Mid 21st Century? 

Seriously. Parents , watch  for yourselves what your kids watch and, if you think it's sad and/or icky: TURN IT OFF and DON'T FINANCE IT!

Enough potential consumers and the  parents who would otherwise  finance their potential consumption doing the above would  mean that Miss Siwa's OWN parents will have to find  a way to earn a living on their own that doesn't involve having their daughter  make a spectacle of herself! 

Edited by Blergh
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Blergh said:

Enough potential consumers and the  parents who would otherwise  finance their potential consumption doing the above would  mean that Miss Siwa's OWN parents will have to find  a way to earn a living on their own that doesn't involve having their daughter  make a spectacle of herself! 

This is the house where Jojo lives with her family. I bet you can guess from the decor who financed it. I think her parents have already determined how they are going to make a living.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

My niece LOVES Jojo’s hair bows.  In fact, her dance/gymnastics clubs wears them during their competitive routines.  They are very pretty, so I can see where she might have made millions from them. 

Good for her for being able to acknowledge herself and be comfortable enough at her age to post it.

• Love 12
21 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well, Chapelle has said he doesn’t give a fuck about following rules, especially during the pandemic. So maybe this is the KICK IN THE ASS he needs to GET IT.

What was worse is that before this happened he participated a photobomb at a couple’s wedding. So I don’t know what’s going on with him. He should just end his comedy tours altogether. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Kromm said:

I have no feelings about her one way or another really, I only recognize her from Buzzfeed articles. My only thought is she must get excruciating headaches with her hair pulled that tight. I guess that’s her “brand?” Whatever it is feels like it must be causing her a lot of pain now and a lot of potential problems in the future. 

• Love 12

I don’t know who JoJo is either except that her face is painted on her car and her hair bows. I don’t know why she doesn’t wear the bows in a looser hair style. The tight ponytail is not an attractive look.

But I’m glad she feels comfortable enough to come out and maybe she’s making the decision to grow up and take control of her own life. No matter how much money she’s making now, she can’t keep dressing and acting like a child and depend on the fan base of six year olds forever. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I don’t know who JoJo is either except that her face is painted on her car and her hair bows. I don’t know why she doesn’t wear the bows in a looser hair style. The tight ponytail is not an attractive look.

But I’m glad she feels comfortable enough to come out and maybe she’s making the decision to grow up and take control of her own life. No matter how much money she’s making now, she can’t keep dressing and acting like a child and depend on the fan base of six year olds forever. 

Every time I look at JoJo, I think of that Bette Davis role as Jane Hudson.

• LOL 9
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, Blergh said:

And IMO  the poor girl looks scared and sad NOT genuinely happy in her 'smiles'. 

I will shamelessly admit to watching Dance Moms. Jojo was an over the top individual as a girl. However, if I remember correctly, her mom actually admitted that she wanted her daughter to be famous and a huge star.

Dance Moms was already a huge hit and girls like Maddie were starting to have more opportunities when Jojo came on the show.

It appeared to me that Jojo’s mom had a singular purpose- to make her daughter famous and for the family to be rich. It seems to have worked, but Jojo’s development as a tween/young adult may have been negatively affected. I based that on she dressing like and acting like a 10 year old when she was 16.

This is a total aside to her sexuality, and I applaud her for her choices and sharing them.

I just agree that she is not genuinely happy in her smiles and some of the above may have contributed to that.

• Useful 5
  • Love 4

File under "Piers Morgan is a disgusting excuse for a human being". 

https://pagesix.com/2021/01/23/piers-morgan-slammed-for-narcissistic-tribute-to-larry-king/

All the a-hole had to say was "RIP". Or nothing at all. Instead, he made King's death about himself. As he does pretty much everything. The term "narcissist" is tossed around a lot, but I feel comfortable saying Piers Morgan is a narcissist.  And the way he worded things he can't even use the excuse it was meant as a joke. I myself made a joke about how old King seemed upthread. Instead it was all about his grievance with a barely dead man. Ugh. 

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, Kromm said:

https://pagesix.com/2021/01/23/piers-morgan-slammed-for-narcissistic-tribute-to-larry-king/

All the a-hole had to say was "RIP". Or nothing at all. Instead, he made King's death about himself. As he does pretty much everything. The term "narcissist" is tossed around a lot, but I feel comfortable saying Piers Morgan is a narcissist.  And the way he worded things he can't even use the excuse it was meant as a joke. I myself made a joke about how old King seemed upthread. Instead it was all about his grievance with a barely dead man. Ugh. 

Nothing about Piers Morgan surprises me.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 20
20 hours ago, Everina said:

Dave Chappelle and the rest are acting like awful people.  I always hesitate to call anyone a straight up awful person, because people are complicated and I always want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but come on.  Even if you believe you would be totally fine with Covid (and you can't even determine that, plenty of young and healthy people have died from it), you could very easily give it to someone else, and kill them.  That's what infuriates me about people who don't follow the rules- it isn't all about you.  Irresponsible, and just plain shitty, and everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves, but they won't be.

Dave Chappelle always seems to be forgiven for things that other people aren't. I used to enjoy his comedy but now he has become one of those people that I can't separate the person from their work. 

11 hours ago, Kromm said:

It has become a trend to make the death of a person all about yourself.  I blame social media.  Before social media when a celeb died the media would reach out to people to get their reaction. Larry King himself would do this. When someone famous would die his show would be about that person and people who knew that person would be his guests. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

It has become a trend to make the death of a person all about yourself.  I blame social media.  Before social media when a celeb died the media would reach out to people to get their reaction. Larry King himself would do this. When someone famous would die his show would be about that person and people who knew that person would be his guests. 

Piers Morgan didn't need social media to make everything about himself.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 10
19 hours ago, Kromm said:

Agree but considering how utterly vile he was to the Duchess of Sussex as well as her newborn son Master Archie Mountbatten- Windsor in the immediate aftermath of the latter's birth announcement (instead of just saying 'Congrats' or better yet not saying anything at all), this does not come as a surprise.  AFIAC, he's a human stinkbomb .

• Love 7

To this day, the worst Batman film. It’s amazing Clooney’s career survived after this. One of the big wtf in his life, by far.

Carried over from the last thread. I remember next to nothing about the "heroes" in that movie but I loved Uma Thurman. I know they're still working and maybe it's just the normal life cycle of an actress when you're not Meryl (and a lot of your younger roles were based on your beauty) but speaking of Batman villains, every so often I think of Uma and Michelle Pfeiffer and wonder why they don't have more going on or better projects. I realize that Ryan Murphy can't revive every aging actress' career but there's always producing your own projects. I don't love every Salma Hayek, Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Lopez, etc. movie/show but at least some of them are more interesting than what I'm sure would be out there if they weren't actively developing good projects for themselves. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Carried over from the last thread. I remember next to nothing about the "heroes" in that movie but I loved Uma Thurman. I know they're still working and maybe it's just the normal life cycle of an actress when you're not Meryl (and a lot of your younger roles were based on your beauty) but speaking of Batman villains, every so often I think of Uma and Michelle Pfeiffer and wonder why they don't have more going on or better projects. I realize that Ryan Murphy can't revive every aging actress' career but there's always producing your own projects. I don't love every Salma Hayek, Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Lopez, etc. movie/show but at least some of them are more interesting than what I'm sure would be out there if they weren't actively developing good projects for themselves. 

The Kill Bill series revived Uma's career, thanks to Quentin Tarantino.

• Love 4

The Kill Bill series revived Uma's career, thanks to Quentin Tarantino.

If you aren't really a child actress, I don't think your career revival happens in your early 30's. That's just part of the progression of your career. Also, I'd say her real dip was around The Producers/My Super Ex-Girlfriend and her career has never bounced back.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Piers Morgan didn't need social media to make everything about himself.  

TV helps him do that. I mean if you ever stumble across clips from his stupid morning show, Good Morning Britain.  People in the US complain about ABC giving so much exposure to Meghan McCain. Well ITV does the same thing with this reptile. If you think you may be misremembering how offensive, narrow minded, sexist, racist, and idiotic he is from his CNN days, you just have to watch clips of him on the Good Morning Britain YouTube channel to see nothing's changed with him. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, Blergh said:

Agree but considering how utterly vile he was to the Duchess of Sussex as well as her newborn son Master Archie Mountbatten- Windsor in the immediate aftermath of the latter's birth announcement (instead of just saying 'Congrats' or better yet not saying anything at all), this does not come as a surprise.  AFIAC, he's a human stinkbomb .

Indeed. I've heard the campaign he's waged on her. Utterly relentless, for years.  All seeming based on the fact that before she became a royal, she refused to date him. 

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Kromm said:

If you think you may be misremembering how offensive, narrow minded, sexist, racist, and idiotic he is from his CNN days, you just have to watch clips of him on the Good Morning Britain YouTube channel to see nothing's changed with him. 

Oh, I know all about Piers Morgan's antics.  Odious little man.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, janie jones said:

I don't understand this. It was a remake. Why wouldn't it have the same story?

Remake doesn't really mean one thing.  Sometimes it's just using the same intellectual property with a different story.  Or sometimes it's used to describe a continuation of the same continuity but with a successor cast.

His objection is silly though. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

Remake doesn't really mean one thing.  Sometimes it's just using the same intellectual property with a different story.  Or sometimes it's used to describe a continuation of the same continuity but with a successor cast.

His objection is silly though. 

But that's exactly why you don't have to announce that it's the same story, like it was something someone was trying to hide. No one was out there trying to say it was original.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Ioan Gruffudd seems to have walked out on his wife and two young daughters after telling her 'he no longer loves her'. Nice. He's worked steadily but I think is known more his Welsh name than his acting.

I want to say I'm surprised, I've always wanted to support Gruffudd's career, as my countryman, local boy made good but...I've known people who've worked with him and none of them had anything good to say, alas.

• Useful 1

Lots of people choose to leave their marriages, for any number of reasons which are often known only to the people involved. What makes this so unusual or horrible?  

It seems the wife just wanted to be the first to put her spin out there on Twitter.  

Edited by Quof
  • Love 11
14 minutes ago, Quof said:

Lots of people choose to leave their marriages, for any number of reasons which are often known only to the people involved. What makes this so unusual or horrible?  

It seems the wife just wanted to be the first to put her spin out there on Twitter.  

Yeah, I don't get it either. Now if he abandons and neglects his kids, that's a different matter. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Quof said:

He announced that he was leaving the family, not the marriage, and it was effective next week. It's not a job where you give notice. Everything about how he handled it is really messed up. And when someone says leaving the family, I assume that also means he's abandoning the kids. Also, it looks like he may have gone in and deleted her tweet off of her account which, if true, is controlling in a way that makes me uncomfortable.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, vibeology said:

He announced that he was leaving the family,

That's her version of events.  Doubt it's the reality. And who said he deleted the tweet? 

Edited by Quof
  • Love 6