Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

On 2/8/2021 at 6:42 PM, praeceptrix said:

Forbes magazine's article about Armie Hammer is a wonderful example of damning with faint praise.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2021/02/05/box-office-armie-hammer-is-expendable/?sh=86618cb3e02c

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armand_Hammer

If that's the end of his career I am guessing he didn't need this career to begin with.  He is a scion of the Hammer dynasty.  

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Gina Carano no longer a part of Star Wars after her latest anti-Semitic social media post.   

Based on their statement it sounds like she was fired awhile ago. I suspected as much since they announced a spinoff that should have stared her without announcing her as the lead. 

44 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Gina Carano no longer a part of Star Wars after her latest anti-Semitic social media post.   

Yeah, I'm more surprised it took this long. She's been publicly known as not good for a while.

People are already speculating on recasting. Has Frankie Adams finished the Expanse yet? She has that broad-shouldered build, but so much more screen presence and so much less odious views. And being Maori*, there could be some unforseen clone connection...

I'm not kidding about the screen presence. Even in her MMA days, Carano was uncomfortable in front of the camera. She improved over time. A little. But I always thought acting was a weird choice for her.

*Maori is pronounced like cow rip. Not mayonnaise.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, Anduin said:

*Maori is pronounced like cow rip. Not mayonnaise.

I now realize it’s an autocorrect error but I spent an embarrassing amount of time comparing that to how I heard it pronounced in New Zealand and seriously questioning my memory. 🤣

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, Dani said:

I now realize it’s an autocorrect error but I spent an embarrassing amount of time comparing that to how I heard it pronounced in New Zealand and seriously questioning my memory. 🤣

I'm Australian. While I may get it somewhat wrong, my version is closer to the truth than one American podcaster I listen to.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

So, not ideal, but not completely irresponsible either. Why was this a story? And why did Jeep fold so quick?

It’s a story because the police saw him take the shot and drive off. They also said he was swaying and didn’t correctly follow instructions for the sobriety check. You can still get a DUI if your BAC is below the legal limit if the officer has evidence you were driving intoxicated. It also happened on federal land where alcohol is prohibited. 

Edited by Guest
3 minutes ago, Dani said:

It’s a story because the police saw him take the shot and drive off. They also said he was swaying and didn’t correctly follow instructions for the sobriety check. It doesn’t matter if your BAC is below the legal limit of the officer has evidence you were driving intoxicated. It also happened on federal land where alcohol is prohibited.

That's why he was pulled over. Why was this a story?

23 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Because he's a famous singer who was pulled over for a DWI.  Given the number of outlets that exist, once someone discovered it, it was bound to get out.  If it's a nothing story then it'll fade fast like so many similar stories.

And Jeep is doing the smart thing and pausing the ad until more details come out.  Even if he wasn't legally drunk, downing two shots within 20 minutes of hopping on his bike isn't exactly a responsible look.

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

No, that’s why he was arrested. It’s a story because he is a celebrity who was arrested. 

The New York Post has details posted from the police report. 

Morgan Wallen issues apology, tells fans not to defend him: 'I fully accept any penalties I'm facing'

I’m not completely convinced but it’s a damn good apology in a way that seems like more than just a good PR team. I really appreciate that he told his fans to stop defending him. 

Morgan Wallen has issued a video apology on his Instagram account, saying that the reason for the delay was that he first wanted to issue personal apologies and meet with Black leaders before elaborating on the quick mea culpa he issued when the scandal over his racial slur was breaking eight days ago.

“I’ve decided to go off the grid for a little while and get used to making good decisions,” he says in the statement. “Who knows if I’ll be able to live down all the mistakes I’ve made, but I’m certainly going to try. I’m going to spend some time taking back control of … living healthy and being proud of my actions.

“Lastly, I have one favor to ask,” he says. “I appreciate those who still see something in me and have defended me. But for today, please don’t. I was wrong. It’s on me to take ownership of this and I fully accept any penalties I’m facing. The timing of my return is solely upon me and the work I put in. I still have a lot of really good people in my corner trying to help me and I appreciate you more than you know. This entire situation is ugly right now, but I’ll keep searching for ways to become the example instead of being made one.”

“And one thing I’ve learned already is I’m specifically sorry for is that it matters — my words matter. That words can truly hurt a person, and at my core, that’s not what I’m OK with. This week, I heard firsthand some personal stories from Black people that honestly shook me. And I know what I’m going through this week doesn’t even compare to some of the trials I heard about from them. I came away from those discussions with a deep appreciation for them and a clearer understanding of the weight of my words. I wish the circumstances were different for me to learn these things, but I’m also glad it started the process for me to do so.”

Edited by Guest
On 2/10/2021 at 2:07 AM, RealHousewife said:

I feel old. I had no idea who Jojo was. 

As @SuprSuprElevated mentioned knowledge of Jojo because of QVC, I knew her from Dance Moms (I really love my mind numbing reality TV shows). Still, I was stunned that she became so famous but she (and her mom) obviously had a secret, well- thought out formula.

I really hope the best for her life, wherever it may lead and that she can become a well adjusted adult despite her teen years being in the spotlight.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Wallen said he was going off the grid after the SNL incident too. 

“On a more personal note, I think I have some growing up to do. I think I’ve lost myself a little bit. I’ve tried to find joy in the wrong places, and I don’t know, it’s left me with less joy, so I’m going to try to work on that,” Wallen said in his video. “I’m going to take a step back from the spotlight for a little while and go work on myself. I wish I could have made country music and my friends proud this Saturday. But I respect the decision once again.”

In other news, one of the songs Wallen covered on his album was originally written (and better performed) by amazing singer/songwriter Jason Isbell (I'm very biased. He's one of my favorites. 😂) He is donating all profits to the Nashville NAACP. 

Edited by AheadofStraight
Typo
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, AheadofStraight said:

Wallen said he was going off the grid after the SNL incident too. 

“On a more personal note, I think I have some growing up to do. I think I’ve lost myself a little bit. I’ve tried to find joy in the wrong places, and I don’t know, it’s left me with less joy, so I’m going to try to work on that,” Wallen said in his video. “I’m going to take a step back from the spotlight for a little while and go work on myself. I wish I could have made country music and my friends proud this Saturday. But I respect the decision once again.”

In other news, one of the songs Wallen covered on his album was originally written (and better performed) by amazing singer/songwriter Jason Isbell (I'm very biased. He's one of my favorites. 😂) He is donating all profits to the Nashville NAACP. 

Well, he certainly knows how to say the right things. It would the nice if he actually means what he said about learning something from the experience. I have a feeling off the grid is code for pressured into rehab by his record label. 

I hadn’t heard of Jason Isbell before this but I’m now a huge fan due to his response as well as his music.

Edited by Guest

He had something similar to say about becoming a father too. This article is from August 2020.  It was after his arrest for drunk and disorderly in a bar in Nashville in May of that year.
https://popculture.com/country-music/news/morgan-wallen-trying-to-be-a-little-more-responsible-after-birth-of-son/

https://apnews.com/article/1d58b32a83881fc3f158c6287a91c04b

I’m all for change. He just seems to not realize what’s really going on.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Vermicious Knid said:

My bigger question with Springsteen is why was he hanging out at Sandy Hook by himself drinking? It's not like he couldn't do that at home. And the Jersey shore in winter is pretty bare and depressing. Unless there is/was something domestic going on perhaps?

He wasn’t drinking alone, from the article:

A source told Page Six late Wednesday that the musician was out riding his motorcycle when he was spotted by adoring fans “who asked him to pull over and take some pictures.”

“Bruce stopped, took the pictures, then a fan offered him a shot of liquor, which he took, while sitting on his bike, which was stationary,” the source said.

• Useful 9
  • Love 5

From DeadlineAlex Trebek Wardrobe Donated to Homeless Organization for Job Interviews

It was apparently his wardrobe worn on Jeopardy!. If just this idea makes you happy/feel something good, don’t read any further (than the article); I started reading the comments (still learning to read articles without the reader comments) &, of course, there had to be a few idiots spouting negativity over what was done with the wardrobe vs. what they thought should’ve been done with it (at least nobody expected him to take the wardrobe with him).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a parenthetical comment.
  • Love 21
5 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

As @SuprSuprElevated mentioned knowledge of Jojo because of QVC, I knew her from Dance Moms (I really love my mind numbing reality TV shows). Still, I was stunned that she became so famous but she (and her mom) obviously had a secret, well- thought out formula.

I really hope the best for her life, wherever it may lead and that she can become a well adjusted adult despite her teen years being in the spotlight.

This Housewives junkie certainly can't judge. 😀

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

From the police report, I'm questioning that the BAC was as low as the reports said.     Unless he takes some medication that reacts to alcohol, which is a terrible idea. 

What was he thinking?   Taking a drink from some unknown person?        There could have been anything in that bottle, even if it was sealed before he took a shot from it.  

I wonder if it wasn't just Tequila in the bottle, and that explains the lower BAC, and the slurring, etc. if that's actually how he appeared?  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

From DeadlineAlex Trebek Wardrobe Donated to Homeless Organization for Job Interviews

It was apparently his wardrobe worn on Jeopardy!. If just this idea makes you happy/feel something good, don’t read any further; I started reading the comments (still learning to read articles without the reader comments) &, of course, there had to be a few idiots spouting negativity over what was done with the wardrobe vs. what they thought should’ve been done with it (at least nobody expected him to take the wardrobe with him).

What a really nice thing to do. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

From the police report, I'm questioning that the BAC was as low as the reports said.     Unless he takes some medication that reacts to alcohol, which is a terrible idea.     

I've read that BAC can actually climb before it begins to drop again.  If it was measured relatively soon after consumption, it could have measured inaccurately low.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, WritinMan said:

Good job, Gina. Star Wars was the best job you were ever going to get.

You'll be lucky if anyone wants to deal with you for a crappy SyFy channel movie now.

And she will have her defenders defending her for............yeah, exactly! She made her bed. There is a saying in show business: what goes around, comes around.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

And she will have her defenders defending her for............yeah, exactly! She made her bed. There is a saying in show business: what goes around, comes around.

Her defenders will be people who agree with her.  Will there be enough of them to keep her career going somewhere? I doubt it. I had no idea who she was before this.

• Love 7
On 2/10/2021 at 7:47 PM, GaT said:

It's actually spelt Weeknd. Really.

Which really stresses me out.  It's like the opposite of a long weekend, and now I have to go back to work on Sunday afternoon.

• LOL 14
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Or, the officer, in his eagerness to arrest a celeb, overread the situation and his subjective observations did not mean that the driver in question was intoxicated.  I'd say inaccurate reporting by the officer on the scene is more likely than a faulty measurement of BAC.  

• Love 12
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Or, the officer, in his eagerness to arrest a celeb, overread the situation and his subjective observations did not mean that the driver in question was intoxicated.  I'd say inaccurate reporting by the officer on the scene is more likely than a faulty measurement of BAC.  

Or the close friends of Springsteen who are the sources of his BAC reading are wrong. That detail isn’t in the police report that has been published. It’s impossible to know until more details come out.

15 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I've read that BAC can actually climb before it begins to drop again.  If it was measured relatively soon after consumption, it could have measured inaccurately low.

He refused the breathalyzer. Whatever BAC reading they have it would have been from a blood test take after he was arrested. 

Edited by Guest

He was at a national recreation area, which prohibits all alcohol. But does that mean he's subject to NJ law, or federal law? I can't tell from the report if that's a local cop or a fed LEO. Also, he doesn't need to actually be moving.

Operation of a vehicle. A person can be convicted of DWI for operating or attempting to operate a vehicle under the influence. For a conviction, there must be evidence of intent to drive (actual physical control and overt action) but there doesn’t need to be actual movement of the vehicle.

He admitted he was about to drive off. Also, he could get his license yanked: "And an unlawful refusal to take a breath test also leads to license revocation."

Carano has announced a new project with Ben Shapiro, which will only go out to subscribers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

Justin Timberlake Apologizes to Brittney Spears and Janet Jackson

I feel like this is a PR move more than anything else.  He should have spoken out years ago.

I get the Janet Jackson thing but I don't know enough about Timberlake's history to know why he feels the need to apologize for Cry Me a River. Isn't it just a break-up song? Haven't countless artists put out break-up songs inspired by their lives? It seems like Taylor Swift has built a good chunk of her career out of those types of songs.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I get the Janet Jackson thing but I don't know enough about Timberlake's history to know why he feels the need to apologize for Cry Me a River. Isn't it just a break-up song? Haven't countless artists put out break-up songs inspired by their lives? It seems like Taylor Swift has built a good chunk of her career out of those types of songs.

Does he specifically mention that song somewhere else because it wasn’t in the linked in the article. A lot of it was how he participated in talk about her and their relationship in a lot of interviews that basically ended up congratulating him on nailing a hot virgin. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 10
21 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

It’s because of a new documentary that’s points out how Justin fueled and benefited from the misogynistic media perception of Britney. He used it to launch his solo career. That led the people bringing up how he hung Janet out to dry. Cry Me A River isn’t that bad without the video clearly saying that Britney caused the breakup by cheating without him ever actually saying it. 

Here’s what Britney had to say about the video.

“And I said, ‘Why did you do this?’ He goes, ‘Well, I got a controversial video.’ And I was like, ‘You did. Yay for you.’ So he got what he wanted,” she said. “I think it looks like such a desperate attempt, personally. But that was a great way to sell the record. He’s smart.”

ETA: I’d forgotten just how creepy that video is. 

Edited by Guest
21 minutes ago, Dani said:

forgotten just how creepy that video is.

I completely forgot everything about that video though in my defense I can’t stand him and was living somewhere without access to MTV at the time it came out so I don’t think I saw it much if at all.

• Love 6