Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Blergh said:

NO, it's the idea that there's something inherently wrong in not letting one's minor offspring have ANY kind of a private life whatsoever which I think the Siwa parents ARE guilty of! 

So far she has sung a song and worn a T-shirt, hardly spilling her entire private life on the web.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 12
5 minutes ago, Blergh said:

NO, it's the idea that there's something inherently wrong in not letting one's minor offspring have ANY kind of a private life whatsoever which I think the Siwa parents ARE guilty of! 

Was there anything indicating that they forced her into it? Or was the announcement a joyful declaration? Looked like a joyful declaration to me. Her parents might very well leech off of her talent, but this seems to have been all about her. 

• Love 13

IF it eventually comes out that that whole announcement and her proclaimed happiness over it  before her legal adulthood were all the Siwa parents' orchestration and not actually her own idea or wish at this time, it would not come as a total surprise to me! Time will tell and I truly hope she finds her peace.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Blergh said:

IF it eventually comes out that that whole announcement and her proclaimed happiness over it  before her legal adulthood were all the Siwa parents' orchestration and not actually her own idea or wish at this time, it would not come as a total surprise to me! Time will tell and I truly hope she finds her peace.  

Coming out and receiving so much support and being an inspiration to other non-straight kids struggling with feeling accepted probably feels pretty peaceful.

But she’s still 17 and she has a whole life of adult tragedies and worries and mistakes ahead of her. When those things happen, maybe she can look back on this and realize what good she’s put out in the world by doing this. 

• Love 19

When straight is the default, where most people never ever have to announce a basic part of their identity, it’s not actually an even playing field. Also, for many people their gender identity and orientation are an essential piece of their identity known long before some randomly chosen date (ie age of majority and consent isn’t the same everywhere and has changed over time).

Yes. Queerness is about more than who you want to have sex with. It's a piece of your identity and culture. I feel like the only way "waiting to announce" would make sense is if every child was assumed to be asexual until the point that they announced it but everyone is instead assumed to be straight. 

• Love 22
6 hours ago, aradia22 said:

So weird. I was just watching an episode of BKR that mentioned Scenes From a Marriage. I don't know why you'd adapt it but since it was apparently a great acting showcase for Liv Ullman, I hope this will be a great opportunity for Nicole.

What are everyone's thoughts on the Olivia Jade comeback attempt? First Red Table Talk and now back on youtube. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it worked or some people were just curious. The worst people can maintain a decent fanbase even after a fall from grace. 

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2021/01/10273821/olivia-jade-returns-to-youtube-vlog

Comeback to what?  What's she DO? 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Kromm said:

Comeback to what?  What's she DO? 

I mean I will never understand it but YouTube and IG influencers are hugely famous with a very sought after demo not only making a shit ton of money but being cast in larger media productions that us olds can ignore perhaps  but that doesn’t mean they aren’t famous to a hugely profitable degree. In fact the main reason that everyone said her parents were stupid was she was already on her way to a career that USC couldn’t guarantee before she got into college.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 1/28/2021 at 6:58 AM, NowVoyager said:

Oh, Gosh. I couldn't find the new thread.

I was out here all alone. So cold.

Looking at this:

38549696-9193347-Flaunt_it_Demi_s_dark_hair_was_drawn_back_in_a_low_updo_and_her_-m-33_1611784141585.jpg.4fe9cf23423343bac782eb38f1c70481.jpg

38561408-9193347-image-a-32_1611784137497.jpg.6242744868d50a13e49cbfeb94add74a.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9193347/Demi-Moore-58-storms-catwalk-HCFW-Fendi-Paris.html

Yet another example of a woman who doesn't value herself enough to keep the surgeon's scalpal away from her damn face.  So sad.  She was once and would have remained, a beautiful woman.

• Love 4

Quick question for everyone posting the Demi photo, is there another photo where she isn’t obviously sucking in her cheeks on a runway? I am not suggesting that she hasn’t horribly altered her face but one photo of her walking a runway looking like that next to her casually smiling doesn’t indicate she has.

In most of the side by sides the cheekbones, done awhile ago are the same, just not her expression and the makeup.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Quick question for everyone posting the Demi photo, is there another photo where she isn’t obviously sucking in her cheeks on a runway? I am not suggesting that she hasn’t horribly altered her face but one photo of her walking a runway looking like that next to her casually smiling doesn’t indicate she has.

In most of the side by sides the cheekbones, done awhile ago are the same, just not her expression and the makeup.

I have wondered if that's just a particular shot of her sucking in, but the shape of her mouth is altered as well. Also some makeup contouring. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I have wondered if that's just a particular shot of her sucking in, but the shape of her mouth is altered as well. Also some makeup contouring. 

Again that is the reason for my question!!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

In this article, you can see where Demi and almost all of the models had major contouring going on.  She doesn't look as bad as that close up.  

https://tomandlorenzo.com/2021/01/fendi-spring-2021-couture-collection-fashion/

• Love 2

38549694-9193347-Wow_factor_Demi_s_chained_headpiece_and_earring_served_as_statem-m-48_1611777127452.jpg.3e3ae040b9a908852326e02395e32357.jpg

I sincerely hope whatever she did is reversible. 

I'm shocked that she thought/was told she looks good & flew all the way to Paris to make a public appearance in this state.

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Why in the world should she wait? She is who she is and she’s happy about it. Is she going to be happier in five more months? Or is she going to torture herself and hide who she is, feeling stifled and miserable and ashamed while she hides it? Seeing those suicide attempt statistics makes me pretty certain it’s the latter.

This arbitrary idea that turning 18 makes it okay to announce one’s identity, or acceptable to stop hiding oneself is just nonsensical. There are no indications that her family was against this and ...well anything but supportive. And part of her announcement was a shirt from her cousin being supportive. 

Teenagers are unhappy and miserable and isolated and so many miserable things because they don’t feel they can be open with the world about who they are. 

I agree, she is old enough to know what she wants the world to know about herself.  I do question her parents' ambitions on her behalf, but I doubt they orchestrated this announcement considering JoJo's biggest fanbase is preteen girls and there is likely to be some negative reactions from some of their parents to this information.  But, she is 17, seemingly mentally and emotionally mature enough to understand what she is saying and who is hearing it.  

In the end, all she did is tell her fans a fact about herself.  No one would've thought twice if she had announced she was left handed or was allergic to pickles, and yet, her sexuality is every bit as ingrained in her being as those things would be, if they were true.  She didn't announce that she drank a fifth of vodka a day or that she liked to kick puppies; she just told the a simple truth about herself.  We also don't know that this information wasn't out there someplace and that there was concern that it was going to be made public by someone else.  It is possible that she wanted the news to come from her, not from some stranger who might well spin it into something it is not.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

We also don't know that this information wasn't out there someplace and that there was concern that it was going to be made public by someone else.  It is possible that she wanted the news to come from her, not from some stranger who might well spin it into something it is not.

Yes, that something I was wondering, whether she was about to be outed and wanted head off any negative spin right off the bat. I just hope announcing it now was her choice and not something she was "forced" to do by her parents or whoever. Otherwise, what's magical about a few months if she'd waited until she was 18? The people who are upset about it would probably still be upset. Meanwhile, she's allowed herself to be a positive role model today for those kids who are living in fear and have to keep their sexuality a secret while they're still living with their parents.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Blergh said:

So   would  her waiting  another 5 months until her legal adulthood to have done so have made a difference?  

And, let's be clear, there is a BIG difference between simply  announcing one's sexuality to one's loved ones and peers  and announcing it to a worldwide platform  so THAT is why this IMO very public deal should have waited until she was a legal adult. 

Is what you're trying to say that celebrity teens should not make their sexuality known, period? Like, if Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez (or whatever teenager is famous right now -- I have no idea) are dating, they should ensure that no one knows about it? Because letting it be known that you're dating is a bigger announcement of your romantic life/sexual life/yearnings than posting a picture of a t-shirt your cousin gave you.

Adults already ascribe sexuality to teenagers without teenagers needing to say anything about it. Otherwise parents wouldn't do things like try to avoid boy-girl sleepovers. No one other than parents who are in denial about their children growing up assumes teenagers aren't sexually attracted to somebody. Accounts by asexual people of difficulties convincing others that they are indeed asexual confirm my assertion that this assumption exists. What's the harm in letting other people know that their assumptions are wrong?

I came out as straight in third grade when I kept a People magazine containing a shirtless picture of Marky Mark in my desk.

Edited by janie jones
  • LOL 1
  • Love 17
19 hours ago, GaT said:

He didn't want them to gt resentment from the other kids because they were jealous, or have other kids pretending to be their friend just because their mom was in frozen. He wasn't trying to hide something bad.

True, but that Let It Go song from Frozen is all kinds of terrible. 

• LOL 9
On 1/28/2021 at 8:02 PM, BlackberryJam said:

Understanding your sexual identity does not translate into “ready to go have sex.” My nephew knew he was gay by age 11. Waiting to announce it until he was 18 would have been denying his identity for 7 years, a clearly unhealthy option. 

Well put. So long as it was her choice and she wasn't pressured into making a statement by her parents, I say good for her. She's just being who she is and that is healthy and good. She has chosen to live her life in the public eye, this is a part of that life, so of course she would publicly announce it rather than just telling her parents and friends. 

Now, I have some issue with the youths (god, I feel so old lol) and their need to live so publicly online but that's a whole other discussion. 

4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

True, but that Let It Go song from Frozen is all kinds of terrible. 

Ha, he probably didn't want them to bring it up because then all their little friends might start singing that song at them all the time! Kids can be so cruel hahahaha

• Love 8

Oh yeah, this marriage is going to last forever. Or until next Thursday, whichever comes first.

The Ex-Partner Of Pamela Anderson’s New Husband Claims She “Homewrecked” Their Family

During quarantine, Dan started spending the night at Pamela’s home in the town of Ladysmith on Vancouver Island. And that’s when Carey got suspicious and confronted Dan:

“Covid happened and it just seemed to happen overnight… Dan would stay at her house and not come home, and here I am taking care of the kids… At first, he denied it when I confronted him but then, finally, I asked him, “Are you sleeping with Pam?” He said, “All I’m going to say is I’ve crossed the line.” …At first, he said, “I want you to stay in our house. I don’t want you to go. I just need to figure things out.” …Later he apologized to me. He said, “Carey, I love you. I don’t know what is going on right now. I’m not in my right head right now. I’m not in a good space.”… He asked me to give him time to figure things out so I just let him do what he was doing… And there was no turning back by then. I had met Pam and had gone to dinner with her. My daughter used to work for her. I couldn’t believe it.”

And that led to Dan moving out, which led to Pamela making Dan her fifth husband on Christmas Eve. Carey didn’t find out until the news came out and she decided to talk to The Sun so that people know this isn’t some romantic quarantine tale:

The guy actually was a handyman doing work on her house, he became her "bodyguard" later on. Something has to be seriously wrong with Pamela Anderson for her to keep doing this.

Yet another example of a woman who doesn't value herself enough to keep the surgeon's scalpal away from her damn face.  So sad.  She was once and would have remained, a beautiful woman.

This makes me sad having recently finished her autobiography (maybe a few months ago). I figured she rushed through a lot of the Ashton stuff because it was painful to talk about or reflected poorly on her or she thought he would get litigious. But now I'm thinking there just might be a lot of unresolved stuff even if she has largely made peace with her childhood trauma. That is, she told an involved story of her early years but rushed through the last 20 or so years of her life and I don't think it was entirely because her relationship with Ashton was part of that time. I'm not surprised that she has self-esteem issues after the life she's lived but it's still very sad. 

• Useful 1
On 1/25/2021 at 1:59 PM, aradia22 said:

Carried over from the last thread. I remember next to nothing about the "heroes" in that movie but I loved Uma Thurman. I know they're still working and maybe it's just the normal life cycle of an actress when you're not Meryl (and a lot of your younger roles were based on your beauty) but speaking of Batman villains, every so often I think of Uma and Michelle Pfeiffer and wonder why they don't have more going on or better projects. I realize that Ryan Murphy can't revive every aging actress' career but there's always producing your own projects. I don't love every Salma Hayek, Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Lopez, etc. movie/show but at least some of them are more interesting than what I'm sure would be out there if they weren't actively developing good projects for themselves. 

Is that the one where Uma Thurman was Poison Ivy?  I loved her in that part!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, GaT said:

Oh yeah, this marriage is going to last forever. Or until next Thursday, whichever comes first.

The Ex-Partner Of Pamela Anderson’s New Husband Claims She “Homewrecked” Their Family

The guy actually was a handyman doing work on her house, he became her "bodyguard" later on. Something has to be seriously wrong with Pamela Anderson for her to keep doing this.

It's been known for years that this woman is not fan of long term relationships. And when it comes to her son, she shows what the type of mother she truly is. I am saying not to be Mother Theresa, but she has shown her true colors more than once.

On 1/29/2021 at 9:56 AM, NowVoyager said:

38549694-9193347-Wow_factor_Demi_s_chained_headpiece_and_earring_served_as_statem-m-48_1611777127452.jpg.3e3ae040b9a908852326e02395e32357.jpg

I sincerely hope whatever she did is reversible. 

I'm shocked that she thought/was told she looks good & flew all the way to Paris to make a public appearance in this state.

How sad that Miss Moore appears to STILL be pinning everything on somehow being THE most attractive woman in the room rather than learning to embrace maturity. Does she truly believe that that procedure will have the casting folks break down her door while trampling over 20-something  spokesmodels to cast her in their latest works? I hope her daughters somehow will have learned how to embrace themselves for who they are despite her insecurities.

• Love 2

CNN weighing in on the significance of JoJo Siwa's coming out:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/01/30/us/jojo-siwa-coming-out-significance-wellness-trnd/index.html

To underscore how intolerance can hurt:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/01/29/us/rejoice-christian-school-expel-student-lgbt-trnd/index.html

The article points out that a second grader's definition of a crush is not necessarily sexual, but the school punished the girl all the same -- so any child at the school who is not straight is being warned that they are not welcome or free to be themselves.

Edited by praeceptrix
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I was going to post that CNN article if no one else had. The most important paragraph in relation to the previous discussion:

"Why would she, with the platform and power she has, want to hide a huge part of herself just to make a few hateful people comfortable, when her whole message is to be loudly, proudly yourself?" Gutowitz said. "It doesn't make sense for her, and she doesn't have to do it. And that's a powerful message."

Did anyone remember Kelly Rowland was pregnant? Apparently she announced it back in October. Had a boy, Noah Jon Weatherspoon.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

How sad that Miss Moore appears to STILL be pinning everything on somehow being THE most attractive woman in the room rather than learning to embrace maturity. Does she truly believe that that procedure will have the casting folks break down her door while trampling over 20-something  spokesmodels to cast her in their latest works? I hope her daughters somehow will have learned how to embrace themselves for who they are despite her insecurities.

I remember when she tried to say she didn't get implants for when she filmed Striptease and it was just letting her breasts fill up with milk. Right.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

Just circling back to Elliott Pages divorce..

I figured at the time Elliott came out as transgender that this announcement was coming. Not because of Elliott being transgender of course although maybe it factored into the decision but just because asides from the supportive reactionary comment I just thought Emma was too quiet at the time and the relationship wasn’t acknowledged. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55820614

• Love 3
On 1/25/2021 at 1:59 PM, aradia22 said:

but speaking of Batman villains, every so often I think of Uma and Michelle Pfeiffer and wonder why they don't have more going on or better projects.

Michelle Pfeiffer recently did a interview with New Yorker talking about her career. 

You said once, about taking a break from acting, that it was because you became so persnickety about roles that you became unhirable.

Well, I was persnickety about roles, and also it had a lot to do with having a family and prioritizing the family, and being very picky about where I went, when did I go, how many weeks was it, could I bring the kids with me, could I get back to see them. And it became so complicated to hire me that it just probably wasn’t worth it. Then on my side it just became easier not to work most of the time.

18 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I remember when she tried to say she didn't get implants for when she filmed Striptease and it was just letting her breasts fill up with milk. Right.

Good lord. And Renee Zellwegger’s face completely changed just because she was happier.

• LOL 16
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Dani said:

Michelle Pfeiffer recently did a interview with New Yorker talking about her career. 

well good for Michelle Pfeiffer.   Everyone thinks being a Hollywood actress is all glamour and dressing up.   It's a lot of hours doing the same thing over and over and over until the director thinks he got the shot he wants.   Ms. Pfeiffer decided family was more important than all that.   If folks found that too hard to accomodate, life's rough.   If you can accomodate some of the more outrageous demands you've heard, you can accomodate her having the kids around (with someone supervising them of course) or her going back to visit them on a regular basis.

• Love 14
18 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I think my favorite excuse for Renee was that "people just don't know what my face looks like in my 40's."

To be fair, she doesn't know what he natural face looks like in her 40s either.

9 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Evan Rachel Wood accuses ex-fiancé Marilyn Mason of grooming and abuse.*

Is anyone surprised by this? It's Marilyn Manson (he named himself after Charles Manson!) I would be more surprised to find out he wasn't abusive in some way. (I love me some Goth Rock, and while I do like some of his songs, I wouldn't want to spend any time with that man even before having confirmation that he's an abuser. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Is anyone surprised by this? It's Marilyn Manson (he named himself after Charles Manson!) I would be more surprised to find out he wasn't abusive in some way. (I love me some Goth Rock, and while I do like some of his songs, I wouldn't want to spend any time with that man even before having confirmation that he's an abuser. 

It was always going to be him from what she said, even if she didn't name him. I was a fan of hers at the time and it was awful how she completely changed her look and "allegedly" (at the time) dropped all her friends and wouldn't (couldn't) hear a word against him. I'm glad she feels able to fully name him now. It was such a change from Jamie Bell and all her other rumoured relationships until then. 

I don't think just being Marilyn Manson - his public image - is enough to make him a likely abuser, there are plenty of people who cultivate that image for attention or who live a weird life style privately who are very loving and kind but he himself admitted to being abusive and controlling to her (although he didn't term it that) many years ago. 

Also if he was into some very specific sex acts or even a Master/slave 24/7 thing then it would be fine if he was safe, sane and 100% consensual with a partner who was 100% into that and had everything pre agreed and discussed. But that very clearly wasn't the case, he was just a vile abuser here who wanted to control her life and make her terrified of him. 

I remember the first time I came across him as a kid in the Bowling for Columbine documentary where I thought he talked a lot of sense and came across level headed and thoughtful (to me). Shame he wasn't actually like that IRL. 

This was her original testimony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm2_JCNWTus

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 7
On 2/1/2021 at 11:31 AM, Crashcourse said:

I'm glad he's continuing to sing.

They say doing things like memorizing song lyrics or playing certain types of word games, for at least 10 minutes a day, can help with keeping the effects of dementia type illnesses at bay.

• Useful 8
  • Love 5
32 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

They say doing things like memorizing song lyrics or playing certain types of word games, for at least 10 minutes a day, can help with keeping the effects of dementia type illnesses at bay.

Yes, I know.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, praeceptrix said:

I do adore Dolly Parton. The linked article is about her turning down the Presidential Medal of Freedom -- twice!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55907822

I DO think she's fibbing a bit though about WHY she turned it down. Her statement about STILL not wanting to accept one, even now, actually supports that (although I think she's assuming it would come off the opposite way). 

I like and respect her, but I think we have to accept that we live in the kind of world now where even the best of us have to tell little white lies to not get pilloried from one side, the other, or both. 

• Love 14
On 2/2/2021 at 4:34 AM, Featherhat said:

It was always going to be him from what she said, even if she didn't name him. I was a fan of hers at the time and it was awful how she completely changed her look and "allegedly" (at the time) dropped all her friends and wouldn't (couldn't) hear a word against him. I'm glad she feels able to fully name him now. It was such a change from Jamie Bell and all her other rumoured relationships until then. 

I don't think just being Marilyn Manson - his public image - is enough to make him a likely abuser, there are plenty of people who cultivate that image for attention or who live a weird life style privately who are very loving and kind but he himself admitted to being abusive and controlling to her (although he didn't term it that) many years ago. 

Also if he was into some very specific sex acts or even a Master/slave 24/7 thing then it would be fine if he was safe, sane and 100% consensual with a partner who was 100% into that and had everything pre agreed and discussed. But that very clearly wasn't the case, he was just a vile abuser here who wanted to control her life and make her terrified of him. 

I remember the first time I came across him as a kid in the Bowling for Columbine documentary where I thought he talked a lot of sense and came across level headed and thoughtful (to me). Shame he wasn't actually like that IRL. 

This was her original testimony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm2_JCNWTus

Perplexing.  Wasn't the story that she sought him out, that she pursued the relationship when she was still a teen (but presumably over the age of legal consent)?

For years after she "broke up" this story didn't change.

But apparently she referenced being victim of sexual and physical abuse and now she is saying it was him?

I just watched Seduced, the NXIVM doc so I guess it's conceivable that he could have targeted her or groomed her to be seduced.

• Love 2
On 2/2/2021 at 1:35 PM, Crashcourse said:

Yes, I know.

I guess my point was Tony Bennett being a professional singer for as long as he has been, because singers have to commit lyrics to memory (which gives their brains a workout), is perhaps what apparently kept the general public from learning he had Alzheimer’s for the past 4-5 years, since his original diagnosis back in 2016 (as was said in the article/article excerpts quoted in the media reports). If he’d been in any other line of work where his brain wasn’t as integral a part of the work, & still been trying to perhaps hide the illness, for whatever reason(s), it might’ve been discovered by the public before he & his family were able to make the announcement of the diagnosis on their own terms. Then again, the media reports said he was “enduring increasingly rarer moments of clarity and awareness”, though continuing to sing; so perhaps he & his family made the announcement now because it might be getting to the point where he has to retire from performing publicly.

• Love 2