Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

25 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Why do wealthy people tend to go with so much white? 

When was Mr. Pesci's last major movie with him in a starring role? It's possible he may be eating off whatever nest egg he saved from his earlier stardom and had fully paid for his house and furnishings during that time, but could now have few fresh flowing liquid assets left and thus no longer 'rich'.

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

When was Mr. Pesci's last major movie with him in a starring role? It's possible he may be eating off whatever nest egg he saved from his earlier stardom and had fully paid for his house and furnishings during that time, but could now have few fresh flowing liquid assets left and thus no longer 'rich'.

I imagine he’s fine financially. He retired in 1999 and turned down his role in The Irishman multiple times. He got an Oscar nomination for that performance. 

28 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Or maybe selling his house has nothing to do with Mr. Pesci's finances and the man just wants to downsize.

According to reports he decided to move back to California. 

17 minutes ago, Dani said:

I imagine he’s fine financially. He retired in 1999 and turned down his role in The Irishman multiple times. He got an Oscar nomination for that performance. 

According to reports he decided to move back to California. 

Many actors invest well and live within their means, but that doesn't make the news. What makes the news is those who make huge piles of money and then end up filing bankruptcy. There is no reason to think Joe Pesci isn't doing just fine.

As to all the white, I do think it's a combination of "I never have to clean it" and "it shows off my stuff better."

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I’m not sure I get how some of these celebs, especially those who have encountered mental illness in their family, are clueless why some people need a person to oversee their affairs.  Imo, Britney has a lot of people who care for her and intervene so she can continue to live her life. I’m so relieved that Britney has protection by the courts.  Have any of you ever watched her impromptu videos on You tube?   They speak volumes.  I wish her all the best.

I took 3 of my nieces to see her in concert in 2000.  It was an event of a lifetime for them.  We have great memories of that day. 

https://pagesix.com/2021/02/08/justin-timberlake-slammed-by-britney-spears-fans/

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Those pictures of Joe Pesci's house are from 2019.  

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/real-estate/g29786102/joe-pesci-jersey-shore-house-for-sale/

I wouldn't be surprised if this is/was a secondary residence.  

Every room is white, or off white, with pale furniture.  It probably is because they don't have to clean it and maybe it does show their stuff off better, but as someone who loves color, I just don't get it.  Sorry--I know this isn't really on topic for the thread, but it just amazes me.  I mean, a room or two is one thing, but I don't get having that much of it. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 3
On 2/2/2021 at 8:28 PM, Stats Queen said:

She is an amazing woman and she is someone I aspire to be. She cares more about others than herself and giving back to her community is beyond amazing.

I'm not even big on country music, but I worship Dolly. ❤️

On 2/3/2021 at 1:02 PM, AimingforYoko said:

The sad thing is his sales skyrocketed after using a the n word. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 8
31 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Every room is white, or off white, with pale furniture.  It probably is because they don't have to clean it and maybe it does show their stuff off better, but as someone who loves color, I just don't get it.  Sorry--I know this isn't really on topic for the board, but it just amazes me.  I mean, a room or two is one thing, but I don't get having that much of it. 

I generally agree but the one exception for me is houses on the water. Pesci’s house has amazing views that work with white for me. 
image.thumb.jpeg.dbdcd5aad447618a6dfb6108dadc5aab.jpeg

Plus realtors are good at removing any personality from a house to create a blank slate. 

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2021 at 3:37 PM, Dani said:

I was absolutely not trying to suggest that pursuing someone justifies abuse.

I didn't take it that way.  And I absolutely agree, pursuing someone does not justify abuse of any kind.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm not even big on country music, but I worship Dolly. ❤️

The sad thing is his sales skyrocketed after using a the n word. 

Ref. The Morgan Wallen story. I’ve been reading as much as I can about it.  Reading both what other artists are saying AND what isn’t being said.  Very interesting.  I’ll adjust my support accordingly.  Apparently, Mr. Wallen has multiple issues that he needs to address. I hope the apology was sincere,but it’s about the third one in a row now....idk.  I’m skeptical at this point.  

So JoJo wears her hair like that even in her personal life? I thought it was just a public image. 

It's her hair and she can do whatever she wants. That's all our rights. But I wonder if she likes it or feel she's stuck with it.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

So JoJo wears her hair like that even in her personal life? I thought it was just a public image. 

It's her hair and she can do whatever she wants. That's all our rights. But I wonder if she likes it or feel she's stuck with it.

I can't imagine she actually thinks it looks good.  Can she?  

Oh lord.  Maybe she does.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I hope Jojo sets aside some money for the eventual hair transplant she'll probably need due to wearing her hair in that ponytail for so long. Ariana Grande talked about how painful it could be to wear her hair in a high riding pony tail like that so often. Ariana seems to have started off with a pretty small forehead when sporting her hair like that though.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Dani said:

I’m not seeing it. Being two blonde, white teenage girls doesn’t make them clones. 

Yeah...you can walk into any high school in the Midwest and see about 200 blonde white girls wearing their hair in a similar style and similar clothes. 

1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

She must like it because here she is with a make over:

james-charles-gave-jojo-siwa-an-understa

gRRa1FojJ9ccrcUMnfZLc1ZGFd8qSpQzFd5sRgeT

And speaking of look alikes... These look like aged up photos of JonBenet Ramsey. 

rs_1024x759-160919150852-1024-jonbenet-r

On thing about Jojo's image is that she is absolutely not sexualizing herself or allowing herself to be sexualized. She might have horrible taste (okay, no might about it), but she's not out there posing half naked like Britney did. 

• Love 5

That makeover makes JoJo look pretty, but also like thousands of girls out there. Now I’m convinced she’s stuck with that scraped back hair and bows because it makes her instantly recognizable. Otherwise there’s nothing special about her looks. I know nothing else about her so I can’t comment on her talents or personality.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

That makeover makes JoJo look pretty, but also like thousands of girls out there. Now I’m convinced she’s stuck with that scraped back hair and bows because it makes her instantly recognizable. Otherwise there’s nothing special about her looks. I know nothing else about her so I can’t comment on her talents or personality.

DO NOT watch one of her music videos. The music is ...well...it makes bubblegum look like a gourmet food. It's totally designed for six year olds to be empowered by their DREAMS! And be THEMSELVES! And HAVE FUN! And BE HAPPY!

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

She must like it because here she is with a make over:

james-charles-gave-jojo-siwa-an-understa

gRRa1FojJ9ccrcUMnfZLc1ZGFd8qSpQzFd5sRgeT

NINTCHDBPICT000603341751.png

I say this as a lover of makeup and a person who rarely leaves the house without it, that is a shit ton of makeup and totally unnecessary for a teenager.  She has so much product on her face that it sucks the life right out of it.  I see this was from a video where James Charles (ugh) did her makeup, and she appears to have had a good time, but the look is not her and it shows.  

• Love 14

They did trowel the makeup on her...and she has good skin. Absolutely no need.

In Worst Chris news, apparently Pratt’s brother, a deputy, has a history of promoting the 3%ers, who were involved in the Insurrection. 

No...we all shouldn’t be painted with the brush of our relatives, I know, but Pratt always gives me the bad vibe.

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

DO NOT watch one of her music videos. The music is ...well...it makes bubblegum look like a gourmet food. It's totally designed for six year olds to be empowered by their DREAMS! And be THEMSELVES! And HAVE FUN! And BE HAPPY!

Yes!  I put JoJo into the same category I put The Wiggles or any performer for small kids. Adults act in similar childish ways to entertain kids and no one has a problem with it. I don’t view JoJo any different. It’s better that young girls follow her message of self acceptance than other influencers like the Kardashian’s encouraging them to change everything about themselves. 

Just now, Dani said:

Yes!  I put JoJo into the same category I put The Wiggles or any performer for small kids. Adults act in similar childish ways to entertain kids and no one has a problem with it. I don’t view JoJo any different. It’s better that young girls follow her message of self acceptance than other influencers like the Kardashian’s encouraging them to change everything about themselves. 

Oh, I think her message is perfectly nice and appropriate for her target audience. As someone who is not that audience, this was like flashing day-glo radio static. 

I don’t get animosity towards this girl. She’s a teenager, so while her fashion choices may pain me, I remember my horrific taste well into my early 20s. No reason to beat her up for sticking towards the aesthetic she likes. The hair is a little tragic and likely painful, but again, she seems to love it. The hair bows though, those damn things are fabulous and if I had a child or a dog, damn right I slap one of those things on him/her. 

• Love 16

I don't think she needs all of that make up, either--especially at her age.  I think it was just a fun, glamor shoot for her.  I was just showing the contrast of how she could look, if she chose to.  I'm not a fan of her pony tail because I think it looks painfully tight and I, personally, don't go for girly, sparkly things, but the no make up or little make up is just fine.  Like @BlackberryJam said, she's got great skin and doesn't need it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I don’t get animosity towards this girl. She’s a teenager, so while her fashion choices may pain me, I remember my horrific taste well into my early 20s. No reason to beat her up for sticking towards the aesthetic she likes. The hair is a little tragic and likely painful, but again, she seems to love it. The hair bows though, those damn things are fabulous and if I had a child or a dog, damn right I slap one of those things on him/her. 

She is making millions of those bows and related merch. There is a ton of JoJo stuff you can buy at Walmart from clothes to dolls. If I thought that I could make a small percentage of the money she makes by putting my hair in a tight ponytail and bow I would do it too. 

She or whoever runs her 'online personality' knows that she only has so long before something else takes her place. I would makes as much money now as I can and then run. 

• Love 9

To my eyes, Jojo and her girlfriend look very much alike. There are persistent rumors the high ponytail is giving her a receding hairline. Yeah, I'm totally not her demographic but her music is focused mostly on telling tween girls to have a positive image of themselves and they can do anything they want. That's not a bad thing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I feel old. I had no idea who Jojo was. 

I only know her from this very thread, plus one article I saw on another site. She's not exactly an A-level star.

It strikes me that the bar to what we call celebritydom has been lowered in recent years. There are more people who are famous to less people and for less work.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

It strikes me that the bar to what we call celebritydom has been lowered in recent years. There are more people who are famous to less people and for less work.

You can blame reality TV and social media for that.  I get People magazine and more often than not it seems whoever is on the cover is someone I don't know or have barely heard of.  

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

You can blame reality TV and social media for that.  I get People magazine and more often than not it seems whoever is on the cover is someone I don't know or have barely heard of.  

There is also just. so. much. media out there.  You have movies, network TV, cable TV, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Apple, Disney+, and the rest of the streaming services, to Youtube personalities.  I could go on.  A regular person working fulltime with or without a family can only consume so much.  No one can keep tabs on all of it and still be a functioning adult.

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

No one can keep tabs on all of it and still be a functioning adult.

I feel so "with it" sometimes because a name will come up and my husband will draw a total blank and I will actually know who this person is because I am around my grandchildren more than he is and also because I hang out at places like this.  I'm not as clued in as most but am more clued in than he is I guess!  On the other hand he knew who The Weekend was and I had not the tiniest idea.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I feel so "with it" sometimes because a name will come up and my husband will draw a total blank and I will actually know who this person is because I am around my grandchildren more than he is and also because I hang out at places like this.  I'm not as clued in as most but am more clued in than he is I guess!  On the other hand he knew who The Weekend was and I had not the tiniest idea.  

I'm a librarian and work in a small branch.  I have to have some awareness of many authors and books that I will never read in order to do my job.  That skill also works with celebrities.  It does randomly come up while I am doing my job.  

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Anduin said:

I only know her from this very thread, plus one article I saw on another site. She's not exactly an A-level star.

There have been "celebrities" with dubious claims to fame for many decades, but now there are more outlets for them to be thrust into the limelight, and far more moneymaking potential than in years past. The Diet Coke Guy or Rula Lenska would be the face of a product for a huge corporation, but now people on social media can rake in the millions for themselves. Fabio parlayed being a model for romance novel covers into years of endorsements and becoming a household name. The pageant winners and "socialites" of yore morphed into the "celebutantes" of the aughts and influencers of today (though social media stars come in many ages/forms). D-listers of old were relegated to game ahow panels or Love Boat guest spots or maybe Playboy, for the women, but now there's little shame in doing direct-to-streaming movies, and you can add a social media presence on top of it.

There are a lot of avenues to fame, and when media outlets care about getting traffic above all else, it matters less whether the person generating clicks is a movie star or a TikTok sensation. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Anduin said:

I don't know.  Maybe for her generation she is?  I know it's hard to fathom but I was watching an after show for a sitcom called The Other Two which is about the siblings of a teen who became famous thanks to YouTube. (Sort of a Justin Bieber type).  During this after show, they had the kid who played the YouTube star, along with the costars who play his siblings and the writers of the show.  They did a little pop quiz to see whether or not the individuals could recognize a celebrity.  Some of the celebs came from the traditional arena while others were social media stars.

Sure enough, the kid recognized very few of the "traditional" celebs.  He knew all of the social media stars.  The opposite was true, IIRC, for his costars. 

I found that divide really interesting. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Sure enough, the kid recognized very few of the "traditional" celebs.  He knew all of the social media stars.  The opposite was true, IIRC, for his costars. 

The top youtube star of 2020 was a nine year old Ryan Kaji who earned $29.5 million. He has 41.7 million subscribers. Nearly everyone on the list of top ten I had never heard of before. I knew about Ryan because you can't walk pass a toy department without seeing his merc.

What my generation watched and decided was clebs are different from the newer generations who has grown up with social media. It's all youtube, tictok and whatever else that is out there and i'm too old to know about.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, xfuse said:

What my generation watched and decided was clebs are different from the newer generations who has grown up with social media. It's all youtube, tictok and whatever else that is out there and i'm too old to know about.

Aha, but did your (and frankly mine too) generation really decide who were celebs?  No one got put in front of us on screen or on the radio unless some exec thought they could market them.  Ultimately, the general public got to decide whether or not we watched their movies, TV shows or buy their music but we would only get to decide who had been curated for us.  And sometimes, they even got to fail a few times to see if they'd ever catch on. 

• Love 4