Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, aghst said:

Perplexing.  Wasn't the story that she sought him out, that she pursued the relationship when she was still a teen (but presumably over the age of legal consent)?

For years after she "broke up" this story didn't change.

It’s normal for people who are groomed to not recognize it until they are much older. At the time they feel like willing and equal participants so it’s not surprising she would have defended the relationship for years. Abusive relationships really mess with a persons head and sense of self worth. 

1 hour ago, aghst said:

But apparently she referenced being victim of sexual and physical abuse and now she is saying it was him?

She first started speaking out about being abused in 2016. She’s even testified before Congress about her experience in support of the Sexual Assault Survivors' Bill of Rights Act. She also helped create California legislation that extended the statute of limitations in domestic violence cases. The details she gave made it clear she was talking about Manson. 

1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

I’m pleasantly surprised he’s actually facing real consequences. 

The other big country music story today is T.J. Osborne of Brothers Osborne comes out publicly as gay. He’s now the only openly gay country singer on a major label. 

As a long time country fan I’ve felt like the genre has been pulled in opposing directions for a while. That’s perfectly epitomized in today’s news. 
Country Singers Call Out Industrywide Racism After Morgan Wallen N-Word Video

Edited by Guest
3 hours ago, janie jones said:

Who was he referring to? One of the people he was with? An onlooker?

A neighbor who started recording him and his friends after they started acting like asses waking the whole neighborhood up. 

ETA: I hadn’t watched the video and was going off of reports. Now that I’ve seen it he may have been saying it to one of his friends. 

3 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Are any of country's male superstars saying anything? I don't think I've seen any quotes or tweets from them, and as Variety notes most of the condemnation is coming from women.

Not that I’ve seen. 

Edited by Guest
7 hours ago, Dani said:

It’s normal for people who are groomed to not recognize it until they are much older. At the time they feel like willing and equal participants so it’s not surprising she would have defended the relationship for years. Abusive relationships really mess with a persons head and sense of self worth. 

Yup. 😢

• Love 1

Featherhat posted this on the last page.  I read the comments about Rachel Wood and sort of thought "gee, that's too bad" while moving on to the next post.  Then I watched this and it helped me better understand the situation.  Holy crap!   To me, it's pretty clear she's talking about Manson, and it's worth a 6 minute watch.

This was her original testimony:   

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Jojo Siwa talks to Jimmy Fallon about coming out.

Her style bugs me, as do the "likes" (but, I probably do the same thing w/o even realizing it), but she seems really mature, grounded and happy. 

One should remember that, back in the day, most of their audiences considered that Lindsay Lohan and Miley Cyrus were perfectly adjusted and content as teens complete with ideal family lives but time told very different stories when they reached adulthood. Hence, I'm holding off any applause at least until that happens for Miss Siwa (and she's independent of her parents).

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

One should remember that, back in the day, most of their audiences considered that Lindsay Lohan and Miley Cyrus were perfectly adjusted and content as teens complete with ideal family lives but time told very different stories when they reached adulthood.

That’s not true. The issues with both of their parents were well known when they were 17. Very few would have said they had ideal family lives at that time. Miley was making questionable choices well before she was 17. 
I also don’t think many would say JoJo has an ideal family life or is perfectly adjusted. 

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Hence, I'm holding off any applause at least until that happens for Miss Siwa (and she's independent of her parents).

Personally, I prefer to trust what she is saying right now. Her parents influence doesn’t undermine her poise and maturity in handling the trolls. If anything it makes her more impressive. 

4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Even if she sought him out and pursued the relationship it doesn't make it okay to abuse her.   Pursuing a relationship with someone does not give them a blank check to treat that pursuer however the pursuee wants.   

Oh, absolutely, she may have been the one pursuing the relationship, rather than having been groomed, but nothing makes it okay to abuse her or anyone else.

I don’t understand the narrative about her parents. Is the idea that her parents are forcing her to make this announcement to add more consumers to her brand? Or that her announcement is part of an ongoing war with her vicious and greedy parents? What does turning 18 change about her announcement? I just don’t understand. 

I’m not Jojo’s target audience and am not regularly around anyone who is. I didn’t watch Dance Moms either. What I see is a young woman, very happy to have a relationship and announcing it to the world, like about a million other teenage girls do on Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, whatever. Jojo just has more followers and more people who care. That doesn’t devalue her joy at first love. 

• Love 18
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Oh, absolutely, she may have been the one pursuing the relationship, rather than having been groomed, but nothing makes it okay to abuse her or anyone else.

Her pursuing the relationship also doesn’t mean she wasn’t groomed. It’s not an either or situation. Grooming is about insinuating yourself into a vulnerable person’s life and gaining their trust to make them susceptible to abuse. It is highly manipulative. It’s very possible man in his 30’s, like Manson, groomed her and then let her make the physical advances. Victims of grooming feel complicit in their own abuse.

Edited by Guest
3 hours ago, Dani said:

It’s very possible man in his 30’s, like Manson, groomed her and then let her make the physical advances. Victims of grooming feel complicit in their own abuse.

Unfortunately I fear that is the closest to the truth here. He probably got off on her perusing him and his the fact that he was an abusive bastard until she was in deep enough that he felt she was sufficiently trapped. 

• Love 2

I never followed Marilyn Manson, so I had no idea about the Evan Rachel Wood stuff until just now.  I did know they had dated years ago, and I remember thinking they were a weird couple.  I'm horrified, reading about the abuse she suffered at his hands.  It is truly terrible, and I hope she is able to process everything and heal.  That goes to the rest of his victims, as well.  I hope he gets the help he clearly needs, but I won't be holding my breath.

8 hours ago, Dani said:

One should remember that, back in the day, most of their audiences considered that Lindsay Lohan and Miley Cyrus were perfectly adjusted and content as teens complete with ideal family lives but time told very different stories when they reached adulthood.

I'm too old to say anything about Miley Cyrus, but I can tell you that Lindsay Lohan never had an "ideal family life", and that was known to the public from very early in her career.  Lindsay was partying with her mom in clubs long before she was Jojo Siwa's age.  She never had a grounded, well-adjusted public image.

Edited by Everina
  • Love 17
4 minutes ago, Everina said:
8 hours ago, Dani said:

I'm too old to say anything about Miley Cyrus, but I can tell you that Lindsay Lohan never had an "ideal family life", and that was known to the public from very early in her career.  Lindsay was partying with her mom in clubs long before she was Jojo Siwa's age.  She never had a grounded, well-adjusted public image.

I agree with you and just wanted to make it clear that I didn’t say that. I don’t understand how sometime quotes show up attributed to the wrong person. 

24 minutes ago, Dani said:

I don’t understand how sometime quotes show up attributed to the wrong person. 

It happens when Person A posts something, Person B quotes it and replies to it, and Person C pulls A's quote from B's reply, rather than from A's original post; in C's reply, the quote will be attributed to B instead of A.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It happens when Person A posts something, Person B quotes it and replies to it, and Person C pulls A's quote from B's reply, rather than from A's original post; in C's reply, the quote will be attributed to B instead of A.

Yeah, sorry for the confusion.

8 hours ago, Everina said:

She really didn't. Oh, and don't forget her "friendship" with Wilmer Valderama that turned into a relationship as soon as she turned 18, just like it did with Miley's peer Demi Lovato. 

The fame game is entirely different with Gen Zers like JoJo Siwa. It's much more niche- no one becomes a household name anymore because it tends to be based more on social media as opposed to movies/music/film like the Disney superstars of the 2000's. I also think that Zers are also much more careful about what goes out there- you don't get images of Zers passed out in vans after ODing or whatever like you did with Lindsay Lohan. Hell, Demi Lovato isn't Gen Z but she's managed to keep all of her OD trips away from paparazzi and in private. We might *hear* about them, but because we don't see them like we did with LL, it doesn't have the same impact.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 8
17 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I don’t understand the narrative about her parents. Is the idea that her parents are forcing her to make this announcement to add more consumers to her brand? Or that her announcement is part of an ongoing war with her vicious and greedy parents? What does turning 18 change about her announcement? I just don’t understand. 

Same! I am more familiar with her than most childless people are because my goddaughter was a huge fan (at 10 she thinks she is too old for her but was delighted by her coming out) and I can’t understand how anyone who watched that Jimmy Fallon interview and thinking she was forced to do it! That girl shimmers joy (can’t sing and can barely dance) but was literally so happy! 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Same! I am more familiar with her than most childless people are because my goddaughter was a huge fan (at 10 she thinks she is too old for her but was delighted by her coming out) and I can’t understand how anyone who watched that Jimmy Fallon interview and thinking she was forced to do it! That girl shimmers joy (can’t sing and can barely dance) but was literally so happy! 

I thought this girl's default persona brand was cheerfulness, but either she is a fabulous actress or she is, as you say, shimmering with joy. I don't understand why anyone would think her coming out would be a bad thing. 

In other celebrity news, Aaron Rodgers and Shailene Woodley? He's 8 years older, but it's not giving me skeevy feels...yet. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
WOOOPs Typo.
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

OK, I do backsies re Lindsay Lohan's pre-adult family life not being known to be dysfunctional at the time but I'm going to sub Britney Spears (who the public WAS told had an idyllic family life at the time ).

As to why the focus on Miss Siwa's  parents re her career and public announcements? For the same reason I'd focus on a human organ grinder as the driving force behind a chained monkey's performing 'career': some minor/non-human performers may like to sing &dance and enjoy the applause but I can't pretend that every single decision that was made on the performer's behalf was made solely by the performer and/or was in the performer's best interests rather than for the adult holding the literal/figurative chain!

Let's also not forget that virtually every audience member who saw the 17-year-old Judy Garland's iconic performance in Wizard of Oz (1939) ALSO wanted to believe that she 'shimmered joy ' and 'was literally so happy' but time would tell a very different story re how  she had incredibly pressured both by the studio and her female DNA Donor!

As to why I think her coming out to the world is a bad thing? I'll say this one more time then I'll drop it: If a minor person chooses entirely to come out to their circle of trusted family members and close peers, IMO that is a personal decision that should be honored and admired for each individual that makes that decision but not be something that should be considered de rigeur for all folks  who are non-heterosexuals to have to do. However, there is a big difference in making that decision to do that- and putting it out and/or having it put out for the whole world via the 'Net and media which puts one at risk for flak from kooks, cranks, pervs,trolls,etc. not just for the moment but for the rest of one's life. Hence, this is why I emphatically do NOT think this is something that should be undertaken by a minor (whether one is to remain a minor for the next five years, five months or five days) in the same way I do not believe that a legal minor should be able to vote, get married or join the military. All the above are lifelong decisions with lifelong consequences which is why IMO, if one opts to make said decisions, one should wait and/or be permitted to make them ONLY when one has reached legal adulthood. Yes, I am aware that there are plenty of brilliant, thoroughly educated minors as well as foolish and/or appalling ignorant legal adults but there has to be a cut off age somewhere.

Yes, the next few years may prove me entirely wrong to worry about Miss Siwa's welfare and/or her parents having pushed her into things that may not have been in her best interest but their own bottom line  but it may not. Whether or not it's in my favor: time will tell!

Edited by Blergh

Judy Garland, and Britney Spears, grew up and came to fame in an age before Twitter, Instagram, Tiktok, SnapChat, etc. The Wizard of Oz is a lovely film, but it's not digital quality and expressions are softened. Garland gives a lovely performance, but it is clearly that, a performance. It's not an interview. Garland is in character, working from a script. There is nothing spontaneous about it. It's not a valid comparison. 

Britney's mental health issues have developed and exacerbated over time, as untreated mental health issues often do.  At fifteen, she didn't have the problems that she has today, so of course people wouldn't have seen it. However, people were always beating the drum of Britney being overly sexualized in videos, productions, etc. 

It's much more difficult now to hide those kinds of cracks. 

Jojo may dress like a younger child, but her announcement and things since have been pure teenage girl and it seems offensive to refer to her as a monkey. I'm certain Jojo will go through a rebellious period where she hates her parents and blames them for everything...because every teenager does. And yes, maybe her parents are riding her like a gravy train. But I'm back to the question, what does that have to do with her making this announcement? Is the allegation that her parents are forcing her to make it?

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

OK, I do backsies re Lindsay Lohan's pre-adult family life not being known to be dysfunctional at the time but I'm going to sub Britney Spears (who the public WAS told had an idyllic family life at the time

Britney’s family life was also not presented as idyllic and people were talking about her sexualized videos and photo spreads (one with a known predator) when she was underage. Jojo wore an oversized T-shirt that said she was gay and said she was in love with a girl and they communicate over FaceTime and don’t see each other. You keep equating her “coming out” with being sexually actively. They aren’t the same thing. 

Moving goal posts that someone in an acting role like Julie Garland, also I don’t think anyone has ever describe that performance as “shimmering joy”, it’s a story about a young girl mostly being scared as fuck trying to figure out how to make it in a confused new world (it’s one of many reasons that she is a gay icon) “Somewhere over the Rainbow” is one of the world’s most melancholy songs but it was an actual performance, not her talking about her life.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 19
On 2/4/2021 at 9:21 AM, Blergh said:

One should remember that, back in the day, most of their audiences considered that Lindsay Lohan and Miley Cyrus were perfectly adjusted and content as teens complete with ideal family lives but time told very different stories when they reached adulthood. Hence, I'm holding off any applause at least until that happens for Miss Siwa (and she's independent of her parents).

While I don't think Miley's family was ever seen as idyllic, I wouldn't put Miley and Lindsay in the same category.  While she might have made some controversial choices and even done some things she regrets, I feel like she's equipped to handle the consequences of her choices. 

1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

In other celebrity news, Aaron Rodgers and Shailene Woodley? He's 8 years older, but it's not giving me skeevy feels...yet. 

That's because she's 29.  Eight years when the ages are 29 and 37 isn't inherently skeevy, IMO. 

• Love 21
On 2/4/2021 at 1:15 PM, Dani said:

It’s very possible man in his 30’s, like Manson, groomed her and then let her make the physical advances.

It's also very possible that she pursued him first and was not groomed.  Doesn't make any abuse she suffered at his hands right in any way.

2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:
5 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

That's because she's 29.  Eight years when the ages are 29 and 37 isn't inherently skeevy, IMO. 

Yeah, eight years is nothing when the younger party is almost 30.

• Love 9

It's so sad seeing the state of Britney. I really wish her well. She always seemed like a sweet soul.

What surprised me is that her family is allegedly bad news and that even her image may not be her idea. Maybe it's because I was a kid and younger than her when she became famous, so she appeared a lot more grown up and in charge. But even based on old interviews, my impression is she was a mommy's girl, wanted to be a pop star, her family believed in her talent and was supportive, and that she was the one who insisted on being sexy. Maybe Britney did have a love of dance and music, but then her mother saw dollar signs? IDK. I remember Britney saying as a child she'd cry anytime she was away from her mother. I hope Britney has someone in her life who truly cares for her as a struggling human being and not a show pony. 

• Love 8

Hmmm...well...a country star comes out as gay and a WWE wrestler comes out as transgender.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/05/us/wwe-superstar-gabbi-tuft-trans-trnd/index.html

GOOD for them. I'm so happy that people are feeling strong and comfortable to be themselves.  Gabbi Tufts said, "I am no longer fearful and I am no longer afraid." And she never should have had to be. The more people come out and declare themselves, the easier it becomes for everyone.  

• Love 8
On 2/5/2021 at 6:58 AM, Blergh said:

OK, I do backsies re Lindsay Lohan's pre-adult family life not being known to be dysfunctional at the time but I'm going to sub Britney Spears (who the public WAS told had an idyllic family life at the time ).

That’s also not really true. Most people didn’t even know who Britney was until she was 17. Her first single was released barely a month before she turned 17. There were concerns immediately due to the sexy nature of her image and the lyrics of “...Baby One More Time”.

Yes, the next few years may prove me entirely wrong to worry about Miss Siwa's welfare and/or her parents having pushed her into things that may not have been in her best interest but their own bottom line  but it may not. Whether or not it's in my favor: time will tell!

I find it so disrespectful to negate what she is saying right now under the guise of being concerned for her welfare. 

On 2/5/2021 at 11:48 AM, proserpina65 said:

It's also very possible that she pursued him first and was not groomed.  Doesn't make any abuse she suffered at his hands right in any way.

She says that she was groomed. I believe her that it was a part of the abuse she suffered. I was simply pointing out that her saying she pursued him does not mean that both her statements aren’t true. I was absolutely not trying to suggest that pursuing someone justifies abuse. 

Edited by Guest

I never watched Dance Moms, and her parents were most likely making the decisions at the beginning, but from everything I've seen Jojo is firmly in control of her own career and calling the shots. Her girlfriend encouraged her to come out, and she's said she's not ready to label her sexuality.

"Someone asked, 'How long have you been a part of the community? How long have you been whatever you are?' I don't know," Siwa said. "I think my whole life, because my whole life I have really really been just – I like people. But I never had fallen in love before, but I always believed my person was going to be my person. If that person happened to be a boy, then great. If that person happened to be a girl, great."

She is going to star in and exec produce the Nickelodeon musical ‘The J Team’: "The film follows a young girl named JoJo (Siwa) whose life is turned upside down when her beloved dance coach Val (Soltis) decides to retire and is replaced by a sparkle-hating instructor named Poppy (Campbell-Martin). Wanting to stay in the running for an upcoming dance competition, JoJo and her best friends, The Rubies (Jones, Romero), must try their hardest to abide by Poppy’s new, harsh rules. Realizing she cannot hide her sparkle or bow anymore, JoJo is kicked out of her dance troupe and must rediscover what dancing means to her."

Tell me that's not 1) the most Jojo description, and 2) a total metaphor for queerness and coming out.

• Love 8

Let's also not forget that virtually every audience member who saw the 17-year-old Judy Garland's iconic performance in Wizard of Oz (1939) ALSO wanted to believe that she 'shimmered joy ' and 'was literally so happy' but time would tell a very different story re how  she had incredibly pressured both by the studio and her female DNA Donor!

I don't think you can compare the MGM star-making machine of the 1930's to the environment Gen Zers are living in, now.  Judy Garland herself had lesbian relationships/experiences, but she never, ever had the option of talking about them the way Jojo Siwa does.  Maybe if she did, and she had ONE thing she could have been totally honest and open about, she wouldn't have felt so alone and isolated.  That's how people work, after all.

As for Britney Spears, well, I'm Britney's age, I remember all of this very well, and Britney was always controversial from the moment her first video aired and she was wearing that skimpy schoolgirl uniform.  She never had the "perfect" family narrative, either, even the kids in my high school wondered how the hell her mother could have allowed her to pose for the Rolling Stone spread.  The opinion of Britney's parents, especially her mother, was that they were super ambitious stage parents who didn't care what Britney did, as long as she raked in the money.  Let's not forget the time Brit danced as a Pussycat Doll for her brother's birthday.  That family was always weird, and everyone talked about it. 

Edited by Everina
  • Useful 3
  • Love 18
3 hours ago, Everina said:

As for Britney Spears, well, I'm Britney's age, I remember all of this very well, and Britney was always controversial from the moment her first video aired and she was wearing that skimpy schoolgirl uniform.  She never had the "perfect" family narrative, either, even the kids in my high school wondered how the hell her mother could have allowed her to pose for the Rolling Stone spread.  The opinion of Britney's parents, especially her mother, was that they were super ambitious stage parents who didn't care what Britney did, as long as she raked in the money.  Let's not forget the time Brit danced as a Pussycat Doll for her brother's birthday.  That family was always weird, and everyone talked about it. 

I remember Lynn defending all her attire and saying "this is showbiz, they're costumes. If I were her age and had her figure, I'd be wearing them myself."

I'm a little younger than Britney, and I remember actually wishing I had what I then considered a cool mom like Britney's. My parents were strict types who were all about school, wanted me to dress really modestly, and I was a girly girl attracted to glamour, dance, cheerleading, all stuff they detested. 

I think like most things, it should be about balance. If you have a daughter who's very cute, loves to dance and has star quality, I think it's great to be supportive and not push her to play piano and become a doctor someday. Different hobbies and different paths make different people happy. That doesn't mean you treat your child like a money ticket. I also don't consider 17-year-olds little girls. Britney was very young when she blew up, but people talk like she was Shirley Temple. She was not a child star imo. She may have done things like MMC as a kid, but she didn't really become famous until she was 17, one year shy of legally being an adult. I think the body is beautiful, and I don't consider this age to be so young that you can't express a more grownup side of yourself. My parents didn't like me wearing makeup as a teen, shorts were considered scandalous even during the summer, and they only liked me wearing church type dresses. I resent the fact I wasn't allowed to doll up and have no photos showing off because I was a pretty teen with a nice figure. But there's being allowed to doll up at prom in a pretty dress, wearing makeup, and a midriff not being a big deal at a pool, and allowing your minor daughter to pose in lingerie for the world. I always thought some of the stuff about Britney was weird, but I didn't realize just how much until I got older. 

I've heard mixed things about Britney's dad. Didn't Britneys boys bash him and say he's mean or something along those lines, that same time they said Kfed is like Jesus? lol Britney's dad did always seem less showbiz than Lynn though. He was mostly out of the spotlight. 

What happened to Felicia? Does anyone know if Britney keeps in touch with her childhood friends/cousins? I'm curious if there is anyone at all who has a history with her and has her back. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I've heard mixed things about Britney's dad. Didn't Britneys boys bash him and say he's mean or something along those lines, that same time they said Kfed is like Jesus? lol Britney's dad did always seem less showbiz than Lynn though. He was mostly out of the spotlight. 

He was accused of breaking down a door and shaking one of the boys. He wasn’t charged over it but there was a restraining order against him. 

10 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

What happened to Felicia? Does anyone know if Britney keeps in touch with her childhood friends/cousins? I'm curious if there is anyone at all who has a history with her and has her back. 

There is a new documentary about Britney on FX and Hulu where Felicia is interviewed. I haven’t finished it yet to know if they are still in contact but it doesn’t paint a good picture of Jamie at all. 

7 minutes ago, Dani said:

He was accused of breaking down a door and shaking one of the boys. He wasn’t charged over it but there was a restraining order against him. 

There is a new documentary about Britney on FX and Hulu where Felicia is interviewed. I haven’t finished it yet to know if they are still in contact but it doesn’t paint a good picture of Jamie at all. 

Yikes! Poor Britney. Thanks for the info. I hope Britney’s boyfriend cares about her, her siblings, someone!

• Useful 1
On 2/5/2021 at 8:56 PM, scarynikki12 said:

A solid point:

This is in reference to Armie Hammer.

From The Hollywood Reporter (THR) about Armie Hammer being dropped by William Morris Endeavor (his agency)

I have to go back & find the link, but I think I read something, a few days ago, about Josh Duhamel (Las Vegas, the Transformers movies, ex-husband of former[?] Black Eyed Peas singer Fergie, with whom he shares a son, Axl Jack) replacing Armie as the lead in a movie. If I find that link, I’ll post.

FOUND IT! It wasn’t the original article I found, but it does say Josh Duhamel is replacing Armie Hammer in a film, Shotgun Wedding, co-starring Jennifer Lopez & filming in Costa Rica for 4 months.

Towards the end of the article, there’s at least part of the old article from when Josh Duhamel’s still only being considered for the role & Armie Hammer is quoted, as well as a production spokesperson:

After the salacious news broke about Hammer last week, The Social Network and Rebecca actor responded “I’m not responding to these bullshit claims but in light of the vicious and spurious online attacks against me, I cannot in good conscience now leave my children for 4 months to shoot a film in the Dominican Republic. Lionsgate is supporting me in this and I’m grateful to them for that.”

Prior to Hammer’s response last week, a spokesperson for the production said, “Given the imminent start date of Shotgun Wedding, Armie has requested to step away from the film and we support him in his decision.”

I love how the first paragraph is making Armie “look noble”, like maybe he had a choice to leave the movie, rather than be fired & replaced on really short notice like when Kevin Spacey’s gay sexual predator status became known during post production on a film where it was decided to cut Spacey out & replace him with the late Christopher Plummer, who received a Supporting Actor Oscar nomination for his role

Edited by BW Manilowe
To correct the spelling & name of Josh Duhamel’s son with singer Fergie. And to add the link I found about Josh Duhamel replacing Armie Hammer in a movie.
  • Love 4
38 minutes ago, Popples said:

After it just became public knowledge that they were an item, Aaron Rodgers referred to Shailene Woodley as his fiancée during his NFL MVP acceptance speech. 

That was fast...

• Love 6
19 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I think like most things, it should be about balance. If you have a daughter who's very cute, loves to dance and has star quality, I think it's great to be supportive and not push her to play piano and become a doctor someday. Different hobbies and different paths make different people happy. That doesn't mean you treat your child like a money ticket. I also don't consider 17-year-olds little girls. Britney was very young when she blew up, but people talk like she was Shirley Temple. She was not a child star imo. She may have done things like MMC as a kid, but she didn't really become famous until she was 17, one year shy of legally being an adult. I think the body is beautiful, and I don't consider this age to be so young that you can't express a more grownup side of yourself. My parents didn't like me wearing makeup as a teen, shorts were considered scandalous even during the summer, and they only liked me wearing church type dresses. I resent the fact I wasn't allowed to doll up and have no photos showing off because I was a pretty teen with a nice figure. But there's being allowed to doll up at prom in a pretty dress, wearing makeup, and a midriff not being a big deal at a pool, and allowing your minor daughter to pose in lingerie for the world. I always thought some of the stuff about Britney was weird, but I didn't realize just how much until I got older. 

I agree that dressing like a woman at 17 isn't that big a deal, and I never had a problem with Britney showing off her body, in general.  I hope it didn't sound that way.  What I was mostly thinking of were the Rolling Stone shots, that were VERY Lolita in their approach, and very gross.  JMO, of course, but I agree with you in that there is a huge difference between wearing a crop top and seductively posing with a Tellatubby doll (ick).

In other Britney-related news, I am so friggin' happy that Justin Timberlake is being put under the microscope for the way he treated Britney after their breakup:

https://www.glamour.com/story/justin-timberlake-faces-backlash-over-the-new-britney-spears-doc-framing-britney

I need to watch this doc.  I have always disliked Timberlake for a few reasons, but the way he used Britney to launch his shitty career is at the top of the list.  And I was WAY more offended by "What Goes Around...Comes Around" than "Cry Me A River", even though I hate both songs.  At that point, the breakup was YEARS in the past, and he was still using it to prop himself up and make money.  Fuck him.

• Useful 3
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, Everina said:

I agree that dressing like a woman at 17 isn't that big a deal, and I never had a problem with Britney showing off her body, in general.  I hope it didn't sound that way.  What I was mostly thinking of were the Rolling Stone shots, that were VERY Lolita in their approach, and very gross.  JMO, of course, but I agree with you in that there is a huge difference between wearing a crop top and seductively posing with a Tellatubby doll (ick).

I felt the same way but the new documentary makes a pretty compelling argument about the misogyny involved in how Britney was treated in the press. Of course they didn’t address that her own styling is a textbook example of the male gaze and it played a very large role in the reaction to her. The people involved with her career at the time tried to paint it as Britney in control of her image and choosing to be sexy and empowered when the composition of the picture feels anything but empowering. 

3 hours ago, Everina said:

I got you Everina. 🙂 I totally agree with you about Rolling Stone. I was just explaining more because as someone who likes being girly and don't see an 18-year-old as super adult nor a 17-year-old as a little girl, I was just trying to say I'm not someone who's prude. (Anyone else remember Britney's song about not being a girl but not a woman either? That's exactly what those late teens felt like to me.) There are parents who freak out about their daughters developing curves, want them to cover up head to toe, and I think this can do a lot of damage. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Everina said:

In other Britney-related news, I am so friggin' happy that Justin Timberlake is being put under the microscope for the way he treated Britney after their breakup:

https://www.glamour.com/story/justin-timberlake-faces-backlash-over-the-new-britney-spears-doc-framing-britney

I need to watch this doc.  I have always disliked Timberlake for a few reasons, but the way he used Britney to launch his shitty career is at the top of the list.  And I was WAY more offended by "What Goes Around...Comes Around" than "Cry Me A River", even though I hate both songs.  At that point, the breakup was YEARS in the past, and he was still using it to prop himself up and make money.  Fuck him.

That Diane Sawyer interview sounds really bad too.

I will say one thing. that tweet about "sucking a bag of really bad tasting dicks" is delightful. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1