Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

Will Smith explains why he turned down The Matrix 

I imagine that was probably the right call at the time. The plot of the Matrix would be super hard to explain to someone and make sound interesting (and something that could be a hit). Plus based on the technology at the time, those iconic effects could have ended up looking really bad. Not to mention, back in 1999 people were probably expecting that the only sci-fi movie anyone would care about would have been The Phantom Menace.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I hate that song.  So this is not a point in the film's favor for me.

Basically, Will Smith has made a handful of good movies and a shit ton of bad ones.

I'll always have a soft spot for him because he's hot, charming, and Fresh Prince.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I don't even watch Archer, but those articles made me tear up. I love Jessica Walter from Arrested Development. I was so sad when she died. It sounds like they gave a lovely tribute to her.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I'll always have a soft spot for him because he's hot, charming, and Fresh Prince.

I love his movies!  He's one of my favourite movie stars.  Charismatic as hell!  Try watching "Hitch" and NOT feeling happy doing so.  LOL

• Love 4

Madonna just said on "The Tonight Show" that she was asked to be in "The Matrix" too and turned it down.  She said she could kill herself because it's one of the best movies ever.  She also says she turned down the role of Catwoman in "Batman Returns" and kind of regrets that because it was "fierce".  She turned down a role in "Showgirls" and doesn't regret that.

Madonna said that a biopic was being created about her but the director was a misogynist man who doesn't understand women so she put a stop to it.  Does anyone know who she means?

She's saying she's taking control to do it herself. I like the online suggestions of Julia Garner to play her.

https://www.justjared.com/2021/09/24/madonna-addresses-rumor-of-florence-pugh-playing-her-in-autobiographical-movie/

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 9
10 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

She turned down a role in "Showgirls" and doesn't regret that.

LOL!  I finally watched that about ten years ago after all the jokes and, yes, it is every bit as bad as it was lambasted to be.  Showgirls was before Evita, and A League of Their Own wasn't a Madonna movie, just something Madonna was in, so even though that was great she was still quite the joke herself as an actor.  I can just imagine the withering reviews if Showgirls and Madonna had collided into one big ball of cinematic dreck in 1995.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 13

Bobby Flay and Food Network to Part Ways After 27 Years

Flay and Food Network have been in negotiations on a new contract for some time. His most recent exclusive three-year pact with the Discovery-owned cabler expires at year’s end. Sources close to the situation said that Food Network has ended the negotiations.

The bolding is mine to show off the best comment from u/wopwopdoowop on Reddit:

Looks like the Food Network really Beat Bobby Flay.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That's a shock.  I feel like some network will probably pick him up.  

But for what? Everything he does is cooking related, I don't think some other network is going to start a cooking show, & even if they did, is one cooking show going to be enough for him? He's used to being king at the FN.

Edited by GaT
added an ing
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, GaT said:

But for what? Everything he does is cooking related, I don't think some other network is going to start a cooking show, & even if they did, is one cooking show going to be enough for him? He's used to be king at the FN.

Netflix has a lot of cooking shows. Well baking shows.  But I could see him landing there.  Or HBO Max. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That's a shock.  I feel like some network will probably pick him up.  

If FN decided that they'd had enough of his smarmy 'charm', I think it's more likely than not he'll wind up. . .Flay-ling about via popping up here and there but having no other provider wanting him around on a permanent basis for some time. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 5

I assumed he just wanted more money than FN wanted to give.  Do you guys think there's some scandal going on? I don't know, BBF is all about how he has all these celebrity connections so i figured he'd find another home.  I'm not his biggest fan or anything, this change is just a surprise.  

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, GaT said:

But for what? Everything he does is cooking related, I don't think some other network is going to start a cooking show, & even if they did, is one cooking show going to be enough for him? He's used to be king at the FN.

FN hasn’t really focused on cooking shows for years. Now it’s all competition and reality shows. Netflix has the same kind of content has FN. 

13 minutes ago, Blergh said:

If FN decided that they'd had enough of his smarmy 'charm', I think it's more likely than not he'll find up. . .Flay-ling about via popping up here and there but having no other provider wanting him around on a permanent basis for some time. 

I find that very unlikely. He’s a huge name. 

Just now, Ms Blue Jay said:

I assumed he just wanted more money than FN wanted to give.  Do you guys think there's some scandal going on? I don't know, BBF is all about how he has all these celebrity connections so i figured he'd find another home.  I'm not his biggest fan or anything, this change is just a surprise.  

I agree. I doubt there is any real drama behind this. 

Edited by Guest
1 minute ago, Dani said:

FN hasn’t really focused on cooking shows for years. Now it’s all competition and reality shows. Netflix has the same kind of content has FN. 

Yeah, but FN is all about food. No matter what kind of show it is, it's about food in some way.  Bobby pops up on multiple shows whether it's about him (Bobby Flay's Barbecue Addiction ), him judging other people (Food Network Star), him competing against other people (Throwdown with Bobby Flay), even travelogue shows (Bobby and Giada in Italy). I don't think Netflix is going to give him a whole bunch of shows like the FN has, he may be popular, but he has a niche following. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, GaT said:

Yeah, but FN is all about food. No matter what kind of show it is, it's about food in some way.  Bobby pops up on multiple shows whether it's about him (Bobby Flay's Barbecue Addiction ), him judging other people (Food Network Star), him competing against other people (Throwdown with Bobby Flay), even travelogue shows (Bobby and Giada in Italy). I don't think Netflix is going to give him a whole bunch of shows like the FN has, he may be popular, but he has a niche following. 

Netflix has a ton of shows about food. Nearly every streamer is making food related programming. 

Why assume that he wants a whole bunch of shows? He was the face of FN but FN is pretty stagnant right now. What’s the point of being the face of a sinking ship? One show that has a lot of buzz is more valuable than brief appearance on dozens of shows. I could easily see Netflix or one of the other streamers giving him a multi-show deal. 

12 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

One thing I really liked about that video posted is how Will Smith has enough self awareness to realize that The Matrix with him as Neo would have been a way different movie and possibly not as good.

• Love 7

I wasn't sure what would happen in Archer even though I knew it was her last episode because I didn't know if she died before or after they finished taping the season.  I guess it was after and they must have used some prior lines from Jessica Walter and ron liebman for some closure, per the linked article. And nicely done.  

• Love 3

Bobby Flay owns restaurants and writes cook books; he probably won't miss FN much. I know I don't. I used to really dislike Flay but I caught a few episodes of one of the competition shows...Next Food Network Star maybe? where he, Giada De Laurentis, and Alton Brown were judges. I went in liking Alton and Giada and disliking Bobby and came out liking Bobby and deeply disliking the other two.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Madonna just said on "The Tonight Show" that she was asked to be in "The Matrix" too and turned it down.  She said she could kill herself because it's one of the best movies ever.  She also says she turned down the role of Catwoman in "Batman Returns" and kind of regrets that because it was "fierce".  She turned down a role in "Showgirls" and doesn't regret that.

Madonna said that a biopic was being created about her but the director was a misogynist man who doesn't understand women so she put a stop to it.  Does anyone know who she means?

She's saying she's taking control to do it herself. I like the online suggestions of Julia Garner to play her.

https://www.justjared.com/2021/09/24/madonna-addresses-rumor-of-florence-pugh-playing-her-in-autobiographical-movie/

Trying to imagine who is bat guano enough to do this scene.  Please, please film this scene.

madonna in bathtub.jpg

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, ABay said:

I used to really dislike Flay but I caught a few episodes of one of the competition shows...Next Food Network Star maybe? where he, Giada De Laurentis, and Alton Brown were judges. I went in liking Alton and Giada and disliking Bobby and came out liking Bobby and deeply disliking the other two.

Yup, that was it for me....don't know about Alton, but Giada IMO was being really bitchy to a contestant and her behavior turned me off to her.  Oh, and in one of her cooking shows she berated one of her friends for daring to go back for thirds of something she cooked!

• LOL 1

Count me as one who'd be happy to never see the Messrs. Brown and Flay or Miss De Laurentis on my TV again- and one who hopes that the news Mr. Flay's being let go from FN means that his appearances will dwindle before petering out to nothing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Count me as one who'd be happy to never see the Messrs. Brown and Flay or Miss De Laurentis on my TV again- and one who hopes that the news Mr. Flay's being let go from FN means that his appearances will dwindle before petering out to nothing. 

That will mean more Guy Fieri. Or Ferry. That's a hard no for me. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Dani said:

Why assume that he wants a whole bunch of shows?

That's where my thoughts are as well.  Why would he want to continue to be their pack mule?  I've always assumed they were loading him down to justify the big bux he was getting.  I don't mind watching some of his shows, but I can bet his head barely fits through the doorway.  FN created that monster.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

I can just imagine the withering reviews if Showgirls and Madonna had collided into one big ball of cinematic dreck in 1995.

Casting Madonna (I assume she would have had the Gina Gershon role?) is pretty much the only thing that would have made that movie worse. Gina G was the only thing making that mess watchable. She was SOOOO OTT in it she made it at least slightly fun. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Bobby Flay is my favorite FN star. He truly is the only reason I watch. I think he is going to be okay and if he wanted could get a deal with a streaming network.

My favorite is Michael Symon and Bobby is a close second. A friend worked with both of them on a charity food drive in NYC a while back and she said they were both very nice.

• Love 5

I could see Apple+ making a pitch for Flay. I don't think they have any cooking shows? They seem to have the money if it's something they really want. Could never put my finger on why but I've always found Alton Brown deeply disturbing. He gives me metaphorical hives. I'm neutral on Giada.

• Love 3

Will Smith explains why he turned down The Matrix 

I appreciate how frankly he states that if he was in The Matrix, they wouldn't have hired Laurence Fishburne. Because the quota is one. 🙄 Love that he doesn't sugarcoat it.

Mixed feelings on how he represents the Wachowskis though I get that it was accurate for the time period. 

She turned down a role in "Showgirls" and doesn't regret that.

I love Showgirls. I can't imagine who Madonna would play. Elizabeth Berkley and Gina Gershon are so perfect and I don't think Madonna would take one of the smaller roles. It happened as it was meant to be. It would have still been a flop but it would have been a different kind of flop whereas the Showgirls we know is a glorious flop. None of Madonna's flop movies sound fun to watch (like Shanghai Surprise sounds like a nightmare... though maybe someday I'll watch Dick Tracy).

I could easily see Netflix or one of the other streamers giving him a multi-show deal. 

I watch a lot of youtube cooking shows but very few Netflix cooking/food shows. I get the impression Netflix wants to be more chill but they also have Nailed It and they're trying to get into competition shows so yeah, I could actually see Bobby Flay going to a streaming service. I don't know if it would be a pay cut. They have a lot of money to throw around but they're also quick to cancel shows and I'm sure they make a lot of things on the cheap in that realm. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I do not recommend Food Network Star to anyone. It kills any affection you have for the hosts, the brand/vibe of FN, all of it... 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I could see Apple+ making a pitch for Flay. I don't think they have any cooking shows? They seem to have the money if it's something they really want. Could never put my finger on why but I've always found Alton Brown deeply disturbing. He gives me metaphorical hives. I'm neutral on Giada.

I'm with you regarding Alton Brown.  I'll put my finger on it for you; he's f*cking strange.  I'm moderately annoyed by Giada.  I'm irrationally bothered when people put heavy foreign pronunciation emphasis on words in the middle of a sentence/story, and that is most definitely her m.o.  Plus her claw-like hands, lol.   Bobby Flay has two gorgeous cats (which have their own Insta of course (Nacho Flay & Stella), which are worth the price of admission alone.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Could never put my finger on why but I've always found Alton Brown deeply disturbing. He gives me metaphorical hives. I'm neutral on Giada.

There have been stories of Alton making racist and homophobic "jokes" at appearances.  So feel free to dislike.

The thing I'll miss about Flay on TFN is his friendships with the NY-appearing chefs like Symon (who is based in OH but often does stuff in NYC), Alex and heck, even Katie Lee.

• Useful 3
4 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Bobby Flay is my favorite FN star. He truly is the only reason I watch. I think he is going to be okay and if he wanted could get a deal with a streaming network.

Yeah, I've never even watched FN, and yet I know who Bobby Flay is. I see him consistently in magazines, TV appearances, etc. And as mentioned above, he owns restaurants and has put out multiple books. I think anyone who is excited about his "demise" is doomed to disappointment. 

I assume he wanted more money, or maybe he just wanted off the FN hamster wheel.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

That will mean more Guy Fieri. Or Ferry. That's a hard no for me. 

Well, until Mr. Fieri (with an 'r' not a 'd') is GONE, I won't be watching FN anyway!

• Love 1

Bobby Flay is cool for me because he has his confidence/self deprecation ratio balanced out. Also I fell for him when he was so flustered and smitten when he would do episodes with his Texas wife. I was super bummed when they broke up and I was all How could you break his heart? He was so flustered and smitten for you! for a minute. I watched a bio type show of some sort about him and he wasn't always confident, he grew into it and it suits him. I like a confident kind of nerdy guy (I would rotate him with Ranger when I am having a Stephanie Plum moment, ha). He seems like a kind man. 

Guy has so much going for him beyond the hair and clothes that people dislike him for. He is another one who is confident and nice, is smitten and in love with his wife. He has enough FU money to wear what he wants. Heck he was wearing what he wanted when he didn't have that money. He is what he is and that's appealing in a slick world. I only watch his Triple D shows, occasionally his Ranch shows. He knows food and has helped many Triple D places thrive across the country. I am bummed that I missed his Italy show and keep checking to see if it is airing on repeat on the regular. 

I like Alton Brown also. His image would be beside quirky in a picture dictionary. I liked his motorcycle road show that he took through the south. He made a bad caught in the moment Holocaust joke and immediately apologized for it but I have never read or heard racist being attached to him. 

• Love 5

I don't think Alton is a great person but before the days of super-involved youtube cooking shows like Binging with Babish, he was showing people technique (even if a lot of it was too complicated to want to attempt) and I did like the way he explained the science/logic similarly to America's Test Kitchen. I still use his crepe recipe. Idk if it's the best, but I like making it in the blender. 

• Love 12

I was shocked with they had the Bobby and Giada series in Italy, after so many rumors about the two of them during his divorce.    By the way, this was his third divorce.    I don't know how the first two divorces went, but the divorce from Stephanie March (from Law & Order) was a slugfest from both sides.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 8
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I was shocked with they had the Bobby and Giada series in Italy, after so many rumors about the two of them during his divorce.  

Once again proof that I am literally the last person who ever hears anything!  I had no idea about this!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, GaT said:

Why doesn't she just admit she's not in her 20s anymore & stop it?

Madonna flashes audience at The Tonight Show

And she's got those nasty fake boobs & that seriously fake ass. What does she think she looks like?

IMO, it's sad rather than impressive or 'daring' for her to do this. Yes, it's her call and she technically do what she wants.  However, she's one of the wealthiest self-made women in the world-wide entertainment industry and truly should be past the point of needing to 'prove' anything.

Oh, and, boo me, but I DO feel sorry for her minor offspring who will have to deal with their peers' flak over this stunt that IMO was rather inconsiderate to them (and, yes, I'd say the very same thing were this a male celebrity with offspring who flashed himself to an audience).

• Love 19

You would think at her age she would know that isn’t a good look for anyone. I never expected Madonna to turn into a matronly senior citizen, but she can be so much better than how pathetically desperate she comes across as these days.

• Love 22
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

IMO, it's sad rather than impressive or 'daring' for her to do this. Yes, it's her call and she technically do what she wants.  However, she's one of the wealthiest self-made women in the world-wide entertainment industry and truly should be past the point of needing to 'prove' anything.

I'm not even a fan of hers, but I'm like -- you're *Madonna* - you're better than this.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

You would think at her age she would know that isn’t a good look for anyone. I never expected Madonna to turn into a matronly senior citizen, but she can be so much better than how pathetically desperate she comes across as these days.

Exactly. And that ass of hers (real or otherwise) has definitely seen better days. Ugh.