Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, letter8358 said:

I saw Rose McGowen on the news recently and I think she on the road to crazy town...I think she made too many enemies. My opinion.

Oh, she’s already been driving on that road for quite some time now. Never thought her warped logic would drive her to side with people who don’t even side with other victims of abuse, but there you go.

In happier news: Jeff Bridges is in remission!

awesome will ferrell GIF

• Love 15
7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Rose McGowan got into a serious car accident in the 2007 that resulted in serious facial injuries and each time she does something I always wonder if there's some TBD going on there.

Can you explain TBD?

16 hours ago, Crashcourse said:
18 hours ago, Leeds said:

Many women who are not natural blondes have had money thrown at them by men who are ruled by their penises.  It doesn't make them bitches.  (And calling any woman a bitch is offensive, inaccurate, unoriginal and misogynistic.)

Ok, how about a lying, deceiving asshole?

Edited 16 hours ago by Crashcourse

I've read books about Elizabeth Holmes and watched a documentary about her.  I think the word bitch applies.

• Love 15
59 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I've read books about Elizabeth Holmes and watched a documentary about her.  I think the word bitch applies.

Why? What is the definition that makes it apply? I mean that as a legitimate question. Would the same term be used to apply to a man who was accused of similar things? 

7 minutes ago, Dani said:

Why? What is the definition that makes it apply? I mean that as a legitimate question. Would the same term be used to apply to a man who was accused of similar things? 

I have called a man a bitch before.  Elizabeth Holmes was a person who gave no thought to the harm she was going to cause. Her actions showed her to be self centered and unwilling to take responsibility for what she had done.  And one more thing. I don't like her.

• Love 21

Random but what is that ring around Jennifer Lopez's hairline in the photo in that article? It's an inch or two before her hairline starts.

It's an effect called baby hair, and it's usually achieved with the application of hair gel to the short hairs around the hairline. Problem is, a lot of people don't have baby hair so their attempts to create the look can come across as odd. Jennifer Lopez has been mocked much for her attempts to wear baby hair. Her natural hairline has started to recede and she probably doesn't have real baby hair anymore--if she ever did.

Also, sometimes lace front wigs can include the kind of shadowing Jennifer seems to have in that photo referenced above but it looks to me like that's probably her real hair.

(FYI, the whole baby hair fad started among African Americans. It's a subset of the "good hair versus bad hair" issue that's been an unfortunate struggle among African Americans at least since slavery. It now represents another fashion that's been co-opted by women of other races/ethnicities/cultures who either deliberately or inadvertently try to imitate Black women. Notably, the K Klan.)

• Useful 9
  • Love 10

Also, sometimes lace front wigs can include the kind of shadowing Jennifer seems to have in that photo referenced above but it looks to me like that's probably her real hair.

Yeah, it's such a clean line I thought it was a lace front but that didn't make any sense. It doesn't look like baby hairs to me but maybe there's some blurring. My other thought was maybe contouring makeup but again, seems weird. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

Yeah, it's such a clean line I thought it was a lace front but that didn't make any sense. It doesn't look like baby hairs to me but maybe there's some blurring. My other thought was maybe contouring makeup but again, seems weird. 

I think it's either makeup, or her tanning lotion wasn't blended well. Sometimes the tanning lotion continues to darken after you apply it & does stuff like this. Selena Gomez recently talked about it.

Edited by GaT
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, truthaboutluv said:

It's a costume gala. That's why there's a theme every year. The looks are supposed to outrageous and bold and yes, even a little out there. Honestly, I'm more irritated at the celebrities who show up wearing more or less what they'd wear on any normal red carpet or when they clearly didn't get the memo on the night's theme. 

I'm fully aware that it's a costume gala.  I just call it the Clown Show because they look like.....clowns to me. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I have called a man a bitch before.  Elizabeth Holmes was a person who gave no thought to the harm she was going to cause. Her actions showed her to be self centered and unwilling to take responsibility for what she had done.  And one more thing. I don't like her.

I guess my question is what in that fits the definition of bitch. Are you using it as a general insult for horrible people? 

My question wasn’t really if it would be used to insult men but if it’s used in the same context. Does it have the same definition across the board?

Truthfully, I’m not sure where I fall on the subject. There are clearly situations where it feels apt but then I hear people (not you) use in such an obvious sexist and hateful ways that it makes me question using it at all. 

On 9/7/2021 at 10:17 PM, Popples said:

I loved Blue's Clues so much! I was so in my feelings when I saw this earlier.

tumblr_inline_mhdttaYHUW1rbm8mp.gif

I cried when I saw that also. I used to watch blues in the late 90's and early 2000's that because I worked with young kids and I remember the show.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Crs97 said:

There’s a good podcast about Elizabeth Holmes and is covering the trial: Bad Blood. The host is John Carreyrou, a journalist who broke the story of Theranos and wrote the book Bad Blood, which is an excellent read.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

Husband and I did a deep dive into Theranos - watched several documentaries and both read Bad Blood. Somehow we missed the podcast; thanks for that heads up!

There is also another podcast, The Dropout, that came out a few years ago but is updating with new episodes. 

• Useful 2
On 9/11/2021 at 6:13 PM, letter8358 said:

On 9/11/2021 at 7:32 PM, Bastet said:

He shows himself as the total asshole he is in that LA Times interview, and her response is great.

Also, the linked article ticks me off with this choice of words:

How about:  "Buckingham, who physically abused Nicks during their relationship ..."

On 9/11/2021 at 7:54 PM, letter8358 said:

Yeah, he showed his true colors and I don't blame Stevie one bit. Who needs to live in a toxic environment like that? 

I wasn't that into Fleetwoot Mac in their heyday nor am I familiar with their personal history.

But there's a long interview on The Watch podcast between Andy Greenwald and Buckingham.

https://www.theringer.com/2021/9/13/22672664/the-hawkeye-trailer-y-the-last-man-and-a-conversation-with-lindsey-buckingham

What seems interesting is that Buckingham is the main creative force in the band, writes most of the songs and helped others, such as Nicks herself, put together demos of songs they write because he seems to be most adept at instruments and studio equipment.

Yet he was fired so he had to have done something horrific?

Or does Nicks still have that clout as the front-person for the band, even after all these years?  The band has been around for 43 years!

And apparently they still generate big revenues when they tour?  Because Buckingham wants to do music outside the strictures of FM but his solo projects don't bring in the revenues that a FM tour does.

Interesting anecdote, that Tusk, which apparently was something Buckingham pushed, "only" sold 5 million albums, prompting Mick Fleetwood to say they won't do that kind of project again, because their previous album sales were more in the range of 16 million.

I enjoy a lot of the old music but would never go to see these seniors tour musicians.  Seems like the only reason for these tours is to make money, feeding off nostalgia of Baby Boomers who now have a lot of money.  But the artists no longer have anything to say, just playing their old hits, which no longer mean the same things to them as when they originally performed them 30-40 years ago.

Yeah Buckingham basically implied in the interview that Nicks didn't want him in the band because he went on to marry and have children, kind of lived happily after their split and that fact was something Nicks couldn't endure.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, aghst said:

Or does Nicks still have that clout as the front-person for the band, even after all these years?  

I say yes. Stevie's the star, the face of the band. Not to say that the other members aren't talented, but she's the only woman to be inducted into the Rock Hall for both Fleetwood Mac and her solo work. 

• Love 12

I definitely want a Fleetwood Mac bio. You know, before Stevie, Christine, and Lindsay, I think it was entirely all male before. The women came later. Mick and John are the only ones from that old era that stayed for years! You know there is a Heart bio in the works? Can't wait! What those two sisters went through and dealt with such sexism is so infuriating. I can't believe all the shit that went on through the decades...!

• Useful 5
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, letter8358 said:

I definitely want a Fleetwood Mac bio. 

The Reelz channel has a great series called "Breaking the Band" and they did one on Fleetwood Mac.  That particular episode is shown continuously on the Roku channel if you have that.  It seems many bands break up because of internal fighting and the toxic person isn't always who you might expect.

• Useful 4
  • Love 6

I don't doubt that routine cosmetology schools don't focus on African American hair.  

It seems idiotic though to have a fashion show and not have hair stylists that know what they are doing.  Even tv and film I can get and I understand, even though it's still wrong, but that's a widespread problem. but fashion shows and they still don't have anyone.? 

If that does happen it's not even just racist, it's negligent 

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I don't doubt that routine cosmetology schools don't focus on African American hair.  

It seems idiotic though to have a fashion show and not have hair stylists that know what they are doing.  Even tv and film I can get and I understand, even though it's still wrong, but that's a widespread problem. but fashion shows and they still don't have anyone.? 

If that does happen it's not even just racist, it's negligent 

Actually, since TV and film productions as well as fashion shows can potentially employee African- Americans at any time, all the above should have at least ONE  hairdresser on site who can take care of the hair. Also, it makes no sense for a cosmotologist NOT to at least be trained in how to do so  because there IS a need and it would expand their potential markets (in much the same way veterinarians get trained caring for livestock and zoo animals even if their intention is to only care for conventional domesticated pets). 

To bring this ontopic: Considering that Mr. Buckingham's wife Kristin Messer has filed for divorce from him as of June of this year, glass houses re attempting pot shots at his former bandmate re claimed jealousy over his family life!  Seriously, it seems every utterance he's making is just making himself look worse (and Miss Nicks and the other bandmates seem more justified in getting rid of him despite his earlier contributions). 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

I like Fleetwood Mac and would watch a bio. The drama looms large with that band. I also like Stevie's voice a lot because it really is unconventional even for a rock performer. Not to say that Christine is not a talented singer too.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I like Fleetwood Mac and would watch a bio. The drama looms large with that band. I also like Stevie's voice a lot because it really is unconventional even for a rock performer. Not to say that Christine is not a talented singer too.

I like that they had both female singers. You get Stevie's gritter more "raw" voice and Christine's sweeter more "angelic" voice depending on the song. 

Lindsey Buckingham was the only bad thing about that band. I hate that he got a pass for so long because he was "talented". Talented people, be it music, film, sports or just looking good, get way too many passes in this world. 

• Love 20
On 9/15/2021 at 3:35 PM, aghst said:

I wasn't that into Fleetwoot Mac in their heyday nor am I familiar with their personal history.

But there's a long interview on The Watch podcast between Andy Greenwald and Buckingham.

https://www.theringer.com/2021/9/13/22672664/the-hawkeye-trailer-y-the-last-man-and-a-conversation-with-lindsey-buckingham

I enjoy a lot of the old music but would never go to see these seniors tour musicians.  Seems like the only reason for these tours is to make money, feeding off nostalgia of Baby Boomers who now have a lot of money.  But the artists no longer have anything to say, just playing their old hits, which no longer mean the same things to them as when they originally performed them 30-40 years ago.

I'm pretty sure that most musicians go on tour to make money, whatever their age.

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, letter8358 said:

That's not at all what the article says.  She's not paying for his "recovery road trip" - because he doesn't want her to.  From the article, which summarizes his televised interview with Gayle King:

"She's helped me so much," Fischer said of Gaga, whose dogs, Gustav and Koji, were recovered shortly after they were stolen. "She's been a friend for me. After I was attacked, my family was flown out. I had trauma therapists flown to me. I stayed at her house for months while friends comforted me and security was around me."

Asked if they are on "very good terms," he said, "Yeah."

At the end of the segment, King's co-anchor Nate Burleson asked why Gaga, who's worth over $300 million, wouldn't just pay for Fischer's trip instead of him asking strangers for money. Or why she wouldn't just pay for his annual salary after he sacrificed his life for her dogs.

"This is the thing, Nate — she's paid for all of his medical bills, he lived in her house, she has trauma therapists," King replied. "He doesn't want it. That's the bottom line. He doesn't want it. He wants to go on this journey. He wants to do it himself."

• Useful 9
  • Love 8
42 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That's not at all what the article says.  She's not paying for his "recovery road trip" - because he doesn't want her to.  From the article, which summarizes his televised interview with Gayle King:

Thanks!

• Love 1

I'm honestly not trying to be a bitch, but I am rolling my eyes at the dog walker saying he wants to do his road trip himself while still soliciting funds for it from other people. He's not doing it himself. He's doing it with other people's money, just not Lady Gaga's money. I get why he wants to get away and I can understand his reasoning for not wanting any more of her money, but I just find that phrasing incredibly disingenuous. 

Edit: I just realized that was the journalist's phrasing, not his or someone associated with him. So, I'm just raging about lazy phrasing, not him. Carry on. 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 4
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I'm honestly not trying to be a bitch, but I am rolling my eyes at the dog walker saying he wants to do his road trip himself while still soliciting funds for it from other people. He's not doing it himself. He's doing it with other people's money, just not Lady Gaga's money. I get why he wants to get away and I can understand his reasoning for not wanting any more of her money, but I just find that phrasing incredibly disingenuous. 

I was thinking the same thing so good to hear it wasn't how he put it. It's interesting because he had to know how it was going to look, that the vulture press would try to make it sound like Lady Gaga left him high and dry and she's so horrible he has to do a go fund me thing. 

As far as I'm concerned, he earned every penny Lady Gaga has given him. I am sure she feels the same.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I was thinking the same thing so good to hear it wasn't how he put it. It's interesting because he had to know how it was going to look, that the vulture press would try to make it sound like Lady Gaga left him high and dry and she's so horrible he has to do a go fund me thing. 

As far as I'm concerned, he earned every penny Lady Gaga has given him. I am sure she feels the same.

Agreed. I am glad that she paid for his medical bills like she said she would and supported him during his recovery. Sounds like he's still a long way off being fully recovered physically or emotionally, but that would be a difficult attack to recover from. 

After rereading the article, there's a lot of weird wording in there in general (at one point they say he sacrificed his life, implying he died), and I noticed he mentions a couple of times in direct quotes something along the line of realizing people may have a hard time understanding what he's doing. Makes me think he realized the reporters weren't computing what he was saying as he was talking and was already dreading the end result in print.

Personally having flashbacks of the terrible interview the student newspaper conducted with me in college wherein they then murdered my words in print and somehow insinuated I was suicidal because I was an English major. I can laugh about it now, but goddamn that pissed me off at the time, and the whole time they were talking to me, I was thinking, "This is not going to end well." 

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Zella said:

at one point they say he sacrificed his life, implying he died),

I didn't really follow this story so that line kind of jumped out at me. Although really if this guy did rise from the grave he shouldn't have too much trouble soliciting donations from people.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Although really if this guy did rise from the grave he shouldn't have too much trouble soliciting donations from people.

It's worked for the Pope and others like him for over 2000 years.

• LOL 4
2 minutes ago, Leeds said:

What did he do to her?

Burton promised he would take care of Lisa for the rest of her life. When they broke up he gave her a co-op apartment in NYC, a jaguar and $5.5 million in cash in a settlement she agreed to. In other words, he kept his promise. She sued him anyway, claiming he didn't keep his promise, and lost.

• Useful 5
  • Love 4

They became frequent collaborators, with Bonham Carter appearing in eight (!) of Burton's films. That said, the actress didn't get her roles without a fight.

"I really do have to be righter than right before Tim lets me do a part," she told The Guardian ahead of Sweeney Todd's release.

I call bullshit on this one.  No way, no how was Helena Bonham Carter the best choice for Sweeney Todd.  Tim Burton did an abominable job casting that movie.

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
53 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I call bullshit on this one.  No way, no how was Helena Bonham Carter the best choice for Sweeney Todd.  Tim Burton did an abominable job casting that movie.

Nobody will come close to Angela's portrayal of Nellie Lovett! She blows Helena's version out of the water! No one came close to Angela's version! It's like that remake version of The Manchurian Candidate with Meryl Streep! Come on! Angela VS Streep!?! We know which was the better choice...

• Love 8