Type keyword(s) to search

S32.E07: Give Me a Beard Bump

Lamb18
  • Start Topic

That was fun.  Not enough of the camels, though.

I suspect that Leo and Alanna were farther behind even before the yield than it appeared, after the ten tries to get all the questions right.  I also suspect they would have been in last without the yield. 

Did the blondes really think the people cooking the heads were just going to hand them a head without a platter?  I wonder how long it took them to figure that out?  I can't believe Phil didn't comment on their facial hair!  

I was really hoping that they'd get to spend the night in the yurts they decorated.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

I'm sorry Leo and Alana are gone. I wish the alliance-mates would turn on each other and self-destruct except for Hung and Chee. But I am glad the two blondes - I can't remember their names - are still there, but they shouldn't have used the Yield. Oh well.

It was cool to see Almaty. I was wondering if it is in the Altai region when I saw the tall mountains, and it is. It's an area where Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and China are fairly close to each other and Mongolia isn't that far away. Russia/Soviet Union ruined the nomadic culture when it confiscated their livestock and forced the nomadic population into collectives. Lots of people starved to death.

• Useful 12
  • Love 4

Tuned out at the halfway mark when every single team came out of their yurt to tell the sisters to yield the nerds.  Why do they care which of the  last two teams are eliminated?  Weren't they all just that morning saying that finally the blondes were out? It just seemed personal at that point.  I can't imagine how it would feel to know that every single team wanted me out, especially when there's no particular reason for it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

Hey!  Someone got roadblocked this episode.  Something exciting happened and the alliance is starting to crumble.

Yeah, the blondes roadblocked the dating hipsters, but I'm not going to condemn them for it.  They understand that they're in a race.  They understand you have to be a little bit ruthless if you want to at least attempt to win.  This is why I'm rooting for the blondes.  I want them to overcome the others' alliances and stuff.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 16
6 minutes ago, SG429 said:

That speedbump wouldn't have worked as well with some of the other racers.

If the volleyball bros had that one, I would have cackled.   

2 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

Tuned out at the halfway mark when every single team came out of their yurt to tell the sisters to yield the nerds.  Why do they care which of the  last two teams are eliminated?  Weren't they all just that morning saying that finally the blondes were out? It just seemed personal at that point.  I can't imagine how it would feel to know that every single team wanted me out, especially when there's no particular reason for it.

My guess?  They're probably surprised that the blondes survived and were actually ahead of a team and forced them to burn through it.  So in the event the blondes may actually pull ahead of another team in a future leg, they won't have the option and fall behind again.    Eventually this alliance will have to blow itself up.  And what better place for that to happen in India where ALL THE ANGER HAPPENS! (Well, most of the time.) 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, displayname said:

Wouldn't it be better to combine this with the other thread?

I can't speak for the moderators, but I personally wouldn't.  In Canada, the first episode aired tonight, but this episode won't formally air until next Tuesday. 

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, EllenB said:

I can't wait for the alliance to crumble. Several teams went from pleasant to pissy tonight and now I don't care who wins. Poo.

Ha - yes.  I loved Hung and Chee until these 2 episodes.  They bugged me a lot tonight.

I am on team NFL followed by the beard bros and the blonde sisters (who are completely inept and endearing all at the same time)

• Love 14

How cute for the sister to wear those beards for the whole leg.

Leo & Alana didn't have too much hard feelings for the Sisters; I bet Alana was real salty upon watching James encourage  them to use the yield.  But taking too long at the previous roadblock may have done them in despite the yield.  

Hung just couldn't stop being helpful, even after all the bitching Chee had to listen to from her.  I didn't like her sniping at Chee to get over his frustration in 90 seconds. Killer fatigue is a hell of a thing.

As lucky as the Sisters are, they are just not good racers.  I was wondering how long it took for them to realize that the nice ladies was not going to put a hot boiled goat head into their hands.

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • LOL 3
  • Love 11
36 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

I can't speak for the moderators, but I personally wouldn't.  In Canada, the first episode aired tonight, but this episode won't formally air until next Tuesday. 

Thanks for this info, I only saw one epidsode here (Canada), and couldn't figure out what was going on, happy I'll get to see it next week!

• Love 1

Poor timing with the leg in Kazakhstan. Recently, their tourism board decided to use "Very Nice!" as their slogan. This leg seemed designed to disassociate the country from Borat. The first time a leg was run there, CBS went hard into the Borat curve in a commercial for that episode. Here, we got to see a film studio that produced an Oscar-nominated film (Mongol, Best Foreign Language Feature, 2006), we got to see some great stunt work, and no one mentioned the film. Well, as far as we saw. I figure that's a sore spot; I think there's been at least two sporting events where the anthem used in Borat was used instead of the actual national anthem.

Sorry about that. I tend to find empathy in the oddest places. My pity goes to Leo & Alana. I get the dislike anyone would have for them, but they were my people. And it felt wrong that the Blondes had to be talked into doing the dirty work (Yielding) at the encouragement of two other teams.

Yurts! Camels! I honestly didn't know they could be used in the cold. And I was sad to not find out if any of the camels were happy.

55 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Now that was a proper pit stop welcome!

Right?

Helluva speed bump. Seemed a little tougher than polishing a saddle. Blondes with beards was a funny sight, especially the one whose beard was falling off near the end. And yeah, I wonder what would've happened if Riley & Maddison had to take that Speed Bump. My guess? They would've shaved, then have that hair glued to their bare faces.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

First of all, I am very surprised that they went through (now former airport) Tegel to get to Kazakhstan - since Kazakhstan is in the former Soviet Union, so I was expecting them to go through Schönefeld (now part of Berlin Brandenburg airport) to get there, unless there was a stopover somewhere.

Those pouches with the clues - again, probably part of a task for the Final Leg.

Shades of Season 13 come back with that find the clue in the Meat Market in Almaty - I wonder if that is the same marketplace they went through like the one back in Season 13 - shades of a Switchback there too.

I wonder if the Beard Bros had gotten that Speed Bump if they actually would have been made to shave (and if they would have done it!) I think I remember a task in a previous season where couple had to glue stuff to each other’s faces and someone with a beard had to shave it. 

It’s been a while (I think) since I’ve despised a team as much as I despise Will and James.  They’re not as witty as they think they are.  I hate the faces they make for the camera and the little one’s voice makes my ears bleed.

Happy to have lost Leo and Alana.  Leo is just so smug.  Is he ever not smug?  Kudos to the editors, because based on the numerous confessionals they had where he was smugly smiling, I was convinced they had survived.

Eswar and Aparna moved from indifference to dislike for me.  Ooooooh you went to Berkeley! You’re soooooooo smart, Aparna!   Enough already.   We get it.  In their mind, they are the smartest people to have ever run the race and when they get eliminated (here’s hoping soon) no doubt they will say they lost because they were thinking too much and overanalyzed.

And what the heck was up with Hung?  She tells Gary about the sheep head, then in the car she militantly barks out “are you mad Chee?  You have 90 seconds to spit it out, are you mad?  You have 90 seconds GO!”  Meanwhile, he sits there and barely says anything.  Someone said last week that he’s not henpecked.  He’s TOTALLY henpecked.  She is definitely a strong personality and he is very accommodating.

The blondes keep surviving, good for them.  They aren’t great racers but I do like their attitudes.  And I thought it was funny how they apologized to others for stealing all the non-elims.

Just now, Cotypubby said:

I wonder if the Beard Bros had gotten that Speed Bump if they actually would have been made to shave (and if they would have done it!) I think I remember a task in a previous season where couple had to glue stuff to each other’s faces and someone with a beard had to shave it. 

With beards like that, the Speed Bump simply could have been to shave.  Would probably take 30 minutes.

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, kstar821 said:

Ha - yes.  I loved Hung and Chee until these 2 episodes.  They bugged me a lot tonight.

I am on team NFL followed by the beard bros and the blonde sisters (who are completely inept and endearing all at the same time)

2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I still hate Will & James. Especially, when they were giggling in the yurt when the blondes yielded Leo & Alana. 

God, I cannot stand Will and Grace. They aggravate me to no end, especially the giggling at their own nastiness. If I wasn't already put off by their constant flailing and squealing and whining, that would have done it. (Not to mention the nerve they had last episode with bitching about Leo's lack of empathy.)

2 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

How cute for the sister to wear those beards for the whole leg.

Leo & Alana didn't have too much hard feelings for the Sisters; I bet Alana was real salty upon watching James encourage  them to use the yield.  But taking too long at the previous roadblock may have done them in despite the yield.  

Hung just couldn't stop being helpful, even after all the bitching Chee had to listen to from her.  I didn't like her sniping at Chee to get over his frustration in 90 seconds. Killer fatigue is a hell of a thing.

As lucky as the Sisters are, they are just not good racers.  I was wondering how long it took for them to realize that the nice ladies was not going to put a hot boiled goat head into their hands.

I couldn't believe Hung in that moment. She bitches at him to stop being frustrated because she couldn't keep her goddamn mouth shut. We definitely saw tonight that Hung's "I'm such a nice person!" act was just that, an act. A peak behind the curtain. Chee must have the patient of a saint.

I wanted almost everyone in that 10-person alliance to go home at some point, they were all varying levels of obnoxious. These two episodes actually had me rooting for Leo and Alana to go on and win it all. So of course, they're eliminated, and Will and Grace get to squeal and twirl and exhaust us some more.

I like the Sisters, but I had to laugh at them and the hot boiled goat head.

2 hours ago, wintrygal said:

Thanks for this info, I only saw one epidsode here (Canada), and couldn't figure out what was going on, happy I'll get to see it next week!

Yeah, I posted that in the other thread as soon as it opened, since this one wasn't up yet. And of course, CTV had absolutely no promotion showing that there was an episode this week and one next.

Edited by HeShallBMySquishy
Forgot something
  • Love 8

If you want to see more yurts and eagles I highly recommend The Eagle Huntress. It is in Kazakh with subtitles, if that's not to your tastes.

It was totally the blondes' choice to Yield Leo and Alanna. They could have declined but why not use an advantage? They had every right to. And maybe they were so far behind it wasn't necessary, but it's a race. Not preschool. Enjoyed watching Leo and Alanna blow the counting test over and over. Neither Ivy league educations or engineering degrees actually give anyone an advantage in this show.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, kstar821 said:

With you on all counts. Hung and Chee have been good racers, but I was hoping against hope that Chee would have spent his allotted 90 seconds of frustration to explain to Hung that they are competing in a Raaaaaaace. 

The blondes are generally not competent racers, but haven’t (I don’t think) ever had a total meltdown in the face of adversity. For that reason, I like them on my screen. I thought for sure when we got a snippet of their backstory tonight that they were goners. 

3 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I still hate Will & James. Especially, when they were giggling in the yurt when the blondes yielded Leo & Alana. 

Ready for them to leave. Now. I’m not sure of the petty grievance against Leo & Alana, but at least it’s over. Hopefully the “alliance”will fold and we can get back to racing. 

Perhaps I’ve seen too many seasons, but were the attempts at editing in some finish-line drama particularly lame this week? 

• Love 7

Nice guys finish last.  Leo and Alana are gone and the blonds probably next.

I hope that it wasn't the Yield that eliminated Leo and Alana.

That is, they were more than 20 minutes behind the 6th place team.

It seemed like it because in the Great Khan thing, they did it 10 times before they got it whereas the blondes appeared to get it the second attempt.

Yeah the alliance teams are lousy people, particularly the boyfriends and the beards.  They talked the blonds into yielding.  Again don't know if that Yield saved either the blonds or the brother and sister team or not.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was really hoping that they'd get to spend the night in the yurts they decorated.

I totally thought that that's where the leg was headed. And maybe even that there would be the requisite unfamiliar foreign food challenge along with it.

1 hour ago, susannot said:

It's Kazakhstan.  Why hasn't anyone mentioned Borat?

I'm so glad no one did (at least that we saw). I could rant for days about how much I hate that character and Sacha Baron Cohen's shtick in general. I feel bad for Kazakhs that the thing that is most associated with them in the English-speaking world is a caricature of an ignorant, racist, misogynistic foreigner who was invented by a posh English guy who has no connection to their country and seemingly no real knowledge of it (aside from its position on the map) or interest in it.

I loved that Kaylynn and Haley kept their beards for the rest of the leg, even when the mustache on Kaylynn's was half-on/half-off at the yurts. At the detour, it looked to me like the actor playing The Great Khan was struggling a bit to maintain his stern expression when he saw their faces. I also really loved the volleyball players' reactions to them. At this point, I'm hoping they outlast Eswar and Aparna, not because I hate Eswar and Aparna, but because Kaylynn and Haley never had four other teams who were willing to help them (or at least not hurt them) the way Eswar and Aparna have.

Speaking of Eswar and Aparna, if I were them, I'd be really disappointed in my edit. They haven't been shown to be good at anything in particular, and all we know about them is that they grew up watching the race and that they're engineers who studied at Cal. We don't even get to see them interact with the other teams all that much. It feels like the editors don't want anyone to root for them, but can't show us any footage to make us hate them because it doesn't exist.

• Useful 2
  • Love 17

OK, we have now really, really, REALLY established that software engineering has no applications beyond engineering software.

This was a really fun set of tasks and locations. Those stuntpeople had to go through things 10 times. The show really went out of its way to not reference Borat at all.

I would have been tickled if the beard tasks fell to the beard brothers.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, bankerchick said:

The other teams should care in general which of the two bottom teams are eliminated because the blondes have been not at all a threat. Race 101 says that if you can keep a weaker team in over a stronger team you should do so. Leo and Alana have had a couple 3rd place finishes and their worst finish up till now was because they were u-turned. They seem smart, and so there's a chance that they could outpuzzle or outnavigate a good team.  With the blondes, not much likelihood of them overperforming. They've dodged elimination twice because of NELs and physically, intellectually and emotionally have to know that they are living on borrowed time.

Add to that the possibility of personality issues between Leo and Alana and the boyfriends (boyfriends did the aforementioned U-turned, Leo was salty that the boyfriends didn't know how to drive stick and were slowing everyone down), and there you go.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 10
33 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Leo and Alana have had a couple 3rd place finishes and their worst finish up till now was because they were u-turned. They seem smart, and so there's a chance that they could outpuzzle or outnavigate a good team.  With the blondes, not much likelihood of them overperforming.

The blondes pinged the top 3 once.  But that was back in episode 3 when everyone was making mistakes.  They just happened to make less-fatal ones, and didn't have to search for a clue sitting right next to the U-Turn board for 34 minutes....

Leo and Alana's 3rd place finishes came after they got U-Turned.  They were solid mid-pack until then.  They should not have been considered a "strong team" by any typical metric.

Ok,  I'm definitely over Hung now.  She screwed up by giving the NFLers a hint again, yet she lashes out at Chee with her shrewish "get over it in 90 seconds."  He didn't say a word!  Wow.  Free Chee!

Another fun episode with some really far out locations and challenges.  And camels!

The blondes in their beards were hilarious.  I'm kind of on the fence with them.  They've been living on the edge for most of the race and have been saved twice, but they've been doing it all on their own without a stupid alliance to prop them up.  And they keep smiling even if they think they've come in last.  So I'm kind of rooting for them.  They are definitely plucky.  

I still like the Beard Bros and the NFLers.  While I usually don't root for the alpha male teams both of these teams are generally so good natured it's hard to not like watching them.

The performance at the pit stop was breathtaking.  Beautiful!

9 hours ago, mtlchick said:

My guess?  They're probably surprised that the blondes survived and were actually ahead of a team and forced them to burn through it.  So in the event the blondes may actually pull ahead of another team in a future leg, they won't have the option and fall behind again.  

Right!  I thought it was good strategy to have the blondes, who are limping through the race, burn their yield.  It was good for them too to put a little extra distance between them and the last place team.  Leo and Alana screwed up royally (heh) at the Khan challenge, so ultimately it wasn't the yield that killed them, but it was still a good use of the yield by the blondes.

9 hours ago, ByaNose said:

The alliance would still be repelling without the help of Hung. 

The boyfriends are repelling even without Hung.  (Sorry.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, HeShallBMySquishy said:

I cannot stand Will and Grace. They aggravate me to no end, especially the giggling at their own nastiness. If I wasn't already put off by their constant flailing and squealing and whining, that would have done it. (Not to mention the nerve they had last episode with bitching about Leo's lack of empathy.)

You and me both.  I've gotten to the point of muting my TV when they're on. 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, displayname said:

Wouldn't it be better to combine this with the other thread?

10 hours ago, mtlchick said:

9 hours ago, wintrygal said:

Yes, this is why they are kept split as two separate threads.  🙂

• Love 8
8 hours ago, HeShallBMySquishy said:

God, I cannot stand Will and Grace. They aggravate me to no end, especially the giggling at their own nastiness. If I wasn't already put off by their constant flailing and squealing and whining, that would have done it. (Not to mention the nerve they had last episode with bitching about Leo's lack of empathy.)

I couldn't believe Hung in that moment. She bitches at him to stop being frustrated because she couldn't keep her goddamn mouth shut. We definitely saw tonight that Hung's "I'm such a nice person!" act was just that, an act. A peak behind the curtain. Chee must have the patient of a saint.

I wanted almost everyone in that 10-person alliance to go home at some point, they were all varying levels of obnoxious. These two episodes actually had me rooting for Leo and Alana to go on and win it all. So of course, they're eliminated, and Will and Grace get to squeal and twirl and exhaust us some more.

Right there with you. Leo and Alana enjoyed themselves and had a great attitude. They did nothing to earn Will and James' constant spite and sniping. I felt bad for them. Imagine going on the Amazing Race and having all the other teams treat you like dirt and plot against you the whole time. What a disappointment. 

And Hung can take several seats. She can't do the puzzle. She's whinging about the cab. and she's congratulating herself on what a kind and helpful person she is. She savages her husband because he processes things in a way she doesn't. Life with her must be hell. 

43 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

You and me both.  I've gotten to the point of muting my TV when they're on. 

I'm not even watching any more. This episode has finished me. I broke up with Survivor years ago because of shits like Will and James who can't stop congratulating themselves on how shitty they are, and lunkhead jocks who think they're all that like the beards. I can see why this godforsaken season stayed in the can for so long. I'd have burned it and denied everything. 

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I'm sorry Leo and Alana are gone.

Me too. Will & Whiney Little Shit have been on their backs from day one.

I'm getting pretty tired of the Alliance of Assholes, and the King & Queen of Assholery that seem to run the thing.

OTOH, I'm getting really invested in the DBBCF girls. Their attitude is so good in comparison to everybody else's, I can't help but rooting barracking for them. Even though they are mediocre racers at best, I still would love to see them in the final three, or even winning over all!

Beards: We might be in a real movie from Kazakhstan!
Jackass: Nay!

Megaleg! Ooooh!

• Love 7
11 hours ago, bankerchick said:

You are absolutely right! They don't care which of the last two teams would be eliminated. I think it was personal, led by the boyfriends. They have had it in for them since the very beginning. I think the other teams just followed suit. There was no particular reason, except the boyfriends wanted them out! (And they weren't empathetic enough on the ramp!)

Edited by lilysmom
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, SVNBob said:

The blondes pinged the top 3 once.  But that was back in episode 3 when everyone was making mistakes.  They just happened to make less-fatal ones, and didn't have to search for a clue sitting right next to the U-Turn board for 34 minutes....

Leo and Alana's 3rd place finishes came after they got U-Turned.  They were solid mid-pack until then.  They should not have been considered a "strong team" by any typical metric.

Strong team? No. Stronger team than the blondes? Absolutely.

A few other reasons to egg the blondes on to use their Yield:

1. I'm fairly sure that each team gets only one opportunity to yield another team. The blondes burning theirs on Leo and Alana means it can't be used against alliance teams.

2. Mugging for the cameras. To a certain type of player/viewer, TEH DRAMA makes for good TV.

3. Although the boyfriends, Aparna, and Hung and Chee presumably don't care, the blondes are better in the eye candy/potential showmance department. It's entirely possible that beards won't be the only things bumping.... 😉

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Another fun episode. It's almost impossible but I am so in for a Blonds win. They're fun to watch, they have such great attitudes and yes, they're easy on the eyes. How did they manage to look cute even in beards!

Meanwhile, I am so over Hung. I really felt bad for Chee when Hung started berating him in the car for feeling frustrated when he hadn't said a word. Now she's punishing him for thought-crimes! 

Whether prompted by the other teams or not, I thought it was a good move for the blonds to Yield Leo and Alana. They needed the advantage. And I liked Leo and Alana, they were having so much fun on the race, and that's infectious to watch. But geez, did they overthink the counting task. 

So is next week's megaleg another 2 hours? 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

A few other reasons to egg the blondes on to use their Yield:

1. I'm fairly sure that each team gets only one opportunity to yield another team. The blondes burning theirs on Leo and Alana means it can't be used against alliance teams.

However, can the same team be yielded by multiple teams? Next time there is a yield, can all five alliance teams use theirs' and delay the blondes for over an hour?

9 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

However, can the same team be yielded by multiple teams? Next time there is a yield, can all five alliance teams use theirs' and delay the blondes for over an hour?

My best guess based on how it seems to have worked in the past is only one team can yield at a given time. So you can't pile on the blondes like that, and whoever's yielded can't just turn around and try to yield another team.

19 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

My best guess based on how it seems to have worked in the past is only one team can yield at a given time. So you can't pile on the blondes like that, and whoever's yielded can't just turn around and try to yield another team.

I would agree, it seems there is only room for one hourglass at a time.  Leo and Alana knew that the blondes had yielded them, but there was no picture of the blondes displayed.  I couldn't tell if their names are on the hourglass, they might be, it seemed like Leo or Alana read the name off of it?

I wonder if once Leo and Alana's time expired, would they have been able to use their own hourglass and yield a trailing team if there was one?  Or is it really that the Yield can only be used by one team?  I forget how many Yield opportunities there have been during this race but there were clearly more teams than Yields.  I'm also wondering if teams have had to lug those hourglasses around with them the whole time in their backpacks, or if they just show up at each Yield location.

• Love 1