Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E13: Not Feeling Jovani

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Luann should 100% pay Sonja for the Cabaret show.  We all know Sonja needs the money.  Ever since I discovered the "For Exposure" Twitter account (https://twitter.com/forexposure_txt). I have been blown away by how often people try to not pay artists and creatives for their work.

I'm actually impressed that Ramona understands that.

While I generally agree with the sentiment, it is worth noting that Sonja has a job for which she gets paid - and that is the show. She's not a young creative being exploited, which is often what happens "for exposure."  If Sonja thinks that what Lu is paying her is too low, then she is well within her rights to take her talents elsewhere. But she makes at least tens of thousands of dollars to be on the show, so it's not quite equivalent. 

• Love 14
(edited)

Good to see the Berkshires and Blue Stone Manor again - too bad the place wasn’t filled with interesting, sane people.

Edited by nexxie
  • LOL 9
  • Love 6

Sonja is on WWHL, says she gets paid $200 to be in Lu’s show. And she’s staying at Blue Stone Manor for the month with Dorinda because she rented her apartment out for a month. The booze bill for the month will be astronomical. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 14
  • Love 5
(edited)
31 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

While I generally agree with the sentiment, it is worth noting that Sonja has a job for which she gets paid - and that is the show. She's not a young creative being exploited, which is often what happens "for exposure."  If Sonja thinks that what Lu is paying her is too low, then she is well within her rights to take her talents elsewhere. But she makes at least tens of thousands of dollars to be on the show, so it's not quite equivalent. 

None of that matters to me whatsoever.  I know established artists well and people also often try to stiff on paying them.  There's this attitude that everyone thinks they can do art, so that it shouldn't be paid for.  And that art isn't "real" work like being a bus driver or a teacher or a garbage collector or what have you.  Yet there are many artists who make a living on their work.  I don't care JUST about young artists getting exploited.  It's ANYONE. 

Also, now that Instagram is so huge there are many stories of so-called "Influencers" who try to stiff designers, cake creators, makeup artists, video designers because they have a "lot of followers on Instagram" so they don't need to pay for artists' services.  This attitude is widespread.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 5
  • Love 14
(edited)

I highly doubt that one picture for sm with a couple of “celebrities” from basic cable television would get an entire party comped. Get over yourselves ladies. 

Lu was drunk off her ass but I kind of agreed with her. Although I agree Sonja should be getting paid something (which Lu said she was) Luanne doesn’t need Sonja. She’s throwing Sonja a bone letting Sonja be in her show and take off her clothes and just be ridiculous Sonja. 

BSM is absolutely gorgeous but Dorinda ruined it with tacky decorating. It’s not relaxing or peaceful at all. Just my opinion, she’s the one who has to live in it. The property itself is amazing. 

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Love 18
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

None of that matters to me whatsoever.  My mother is an established designer and people often try to stiff on paying her as well.  There's this attitude that everyone thinks they can do art, so that it shouldn't be paid for.  And that art isn't "real" work like being a bus driver or a teacher or a garbage collector or what have you.  Yet there are many artists who make a living on their work.  I don't care JUST about young artists getting exploited.  It's ANYONE. 

IMO, you are talking about something else.  People SHOULD pay artists and creatives whatever the agreed upon price is. They should value their work and time. But Lu isn't proposing to "stiff" Sonja. They agreed upon a fee. Lu is making the eminently reasonable argument that people with more valuable entertainment skills than Sonja - people who have been on Broadway - should be paid more than Sonja, who is essentially a curiosity, a vaudeville act. 

If Sonja doesn't think she's being paid enough from Lu than she has every right to not do the show. But this is seemingly the agreed upon fee, Sonja just doesn't like it. But Lu isn't saying she doesn't want to pay Sonja at all, she's saying she wants to pay Sonja what she - Lu - thinks Sonja is worth. If Sonja thinks she's worth more, then she should try elsewhere.

Quite honestly, considering that Lu seems to be valuing actual entertainers over Sonja, I find the above argument a little strange. I would much rather see Broadway actors, who train for their art, get paid more than someone who is trying short-circuit all of that by being a reality tv personality. 

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
  • Love 16
(edited)

Why would Luann hire Sonja for the show in the first place?  Because Luann thought that Sonja would bring more people to see the shows, right?  Yet suddenly Luann is acting like all along she was just doing Sonja a big favour and that Sonja should be grateful?  If Luann thinks that Sonja is just worthless trash she should fire her, which is exactly what she's doing, but it makes Luann seem like a disingenuous asshole.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 15
15 minutes ago, SweetieDarling said:

Did Sonja get new teeth? Her teeth in her talking heads look different.

Sure looks like it to me.  She was on WWHL and she kept poking her tongue up there, like she wasn't used to them yet and maybe they stick to her mouth?  That and they just look bigger 😀

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I actually liked the Missoni carpet runners, that was cute and lightly colorful.  Unlike the rest of the place with headache-inducing bright jewel tones.

Everyone was drunk except Leah.  And it was still boring.

Glad to see Heather in the previews for next week.  This show needs some sanity.

• Love 21
(edited)

Sonja has all those photos of herself in frames. Lu has the photo someone mentioned above. I had one 2”x2” framed photo of myself freshman year at college. A guy I liked mocked me for it, and I never made that mistake again. Is it now acceptable to display photos of yourself all over your home?

eta: I know that Scheana does it on VPR, but I thought that was because she’s Scheana.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • LOL 7
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Straycat80 said:

And she’s staying at Blue Stone Manor for the month with Dorinda because she rented her apartment out for a month. The booze bill for the month will be astronomical. 

I thought Sonja said She is staying in Dorinda’s apartment and that Dorinda at Blue Stone Manor.  Sonja has returned to the townhouse but has rented it out for the month. Interesting that Sonja said she no longer has the apartment (which was rumored to have actually been her daughter’s). Sonja looked odd during WWHL.  Not sure if it was simply the weight of those false eyelashes Or if something else was going on.

I was totally annoyed by that exchange between Leah and Luann about Leah sleeping with someone who had only one testicle. Leah acted like it was some big sacrifice and Luann backed it up by telling her how kind she was.  These women.... 

Ramona is vain, vacuous, and self-centered, but far from evil. Did they get together before filming commenced this season and all agree that Ramona would be the target this year? I have to say that during that entire fight Sonja looked like she was laughing and Luann seemed to be putting it on and neatly laughing herself. It all seemed more fake than ever  before.

Jill Zarin made an appearance on WWHL tonight and seemed to be on great terms with Andy.  I can see Andy bringing her back, even if only as a “friend of“ as a way to generate interest next season.  

• Love 12
42 minutes ago, SweetieDarling said:

Did Sonja get new teeth? Her teeth in her talking heads look different.

20 minutes ago, Shannah Banana said:

Sure looks like it to me.  She was on WWHL and she kept poking her tongue up there, like she wasn't used to them yet and maybe they stick to her mouth?  That and they just look bigger 😀

I hope this means she’ll stop jettisoning that one tooth.

Those rose gold sequin pants on Sonja’s pre-quarantine bottom. Heaven help us.

9 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

I like BSM. I think it’s beautifully done. It’s not what I would have chosen for myself but it’s got a very whimsical Alice down the rabbit hole feel to it with the bold colors and interesting decorative items. I like seeing places that are different from my own home and different from all that trendy Pinterest neutral bullshit. 

I hope you got rid of the guy and not the photo!

I still love it. I love jewel tones. I love the textures. I do admire her choices, even after all the criticism.

Thank you, RedDelicious!

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

Dorinda's so obsessed with presenting herself as "tough," even though I've never seen anyone so emotionally fragile. 

Didn't you know that Dorinda is now a "warrior"....how many times did she say that tonight?  I think she said it almost as many times as Luann said "my show".  I guess Luann realized that the women tune her out completely when she used to drone on about her "cabaret", so she now switched it up to "show".

And yes, I agree with you about Dorinda being completely emotionally fragile - I think that is why she drinks so much - to give herself an emotional boost of confidence.

Edited by njbchlover
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
15 minutes ago, ichbin said:

I thought Sonja said She is staying in Dorinda’s apartment and that Dorinda at Blue Stone Manor.  Sonja has returned to the townhouse but has rented it out for the month. Interesting that Sonja said she no longer has the apartment (which was rumored to have actually been her daughter’s). Sonja looked odd during WWHL.  Not sure if it was simply the weight of those false eyelashes Or if something else was going on.

I was totally annoyed by that exchange between Leah and Luann about Leah sleeping with someone who had only one testicle. Leah acted like it was some big sacrifice and Luann backed it up by telling her how kind she was.  These women.... 

Ramona is vain, vacuous, and self-centered, but far from evil. Did they get together before filming commenced this season and all agree that Ramona would be the target this year? I have to say that during that entire fight Sonja looked like she was laughing and Luann seemed to be putting it on and neatly laughing herself. It all seemed more fake than ever  before.

Jill Zarin made an appearance on WWHL tonight and seemed to be on great terms with Andy.  I can see Andy bringing her back, even if only as a “friend of“ as a way to generate interest next season.  

No no no to Jill.  She was so horrible to Beth one of her last seasons.  She got Lu to side with her and they were awful.  ( And I’m no Beth fan in later seasons.). Never Jill.

• Love 15

Um....  Miss Fashion Maven Sonja?  Those gold lame (and they really hi are lame, not “La-May“) pants are doing you no favor. They accentuate all of you bad parts. Look in a full length mirror before showing up on tv (or anywhere). 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Sonja is on WWHL, says she gets paid $200 to be in Lu’s show. And she’s staying at Blue Stone Manor for the month with Dorinda because she rented her apartment out for a month. The booze bill for the month will be astronomical. 

Sonja said she was staying at Dorinda's NYC apartment while Dorinda's at Bluestone Manor.  She let her own apartment go, moved back into the townhome in between renters and then rented it out again.  She also mentioned that she realizes later in the season why she's getting drunk so quickly.  She did look 1000% better.

Back to the episode, They were all drunk, Leah's facial expressions reacting to Dorinda were killing me and I actually gasped when Sonja started feeling up Leah's FUPA.

Is there some type of scale for Broadway actors?  I see both sides of the argument.  Luann asked Sonja to be part of the show as a friend because she knows she enjoys it, she doesn't need her in the show.  At the same time, Sonja should be compensated for her appearance on par with the other guests.  Luann was drunk and hurt that Sonja was yelling about money.  If Sonja didn't have a history of similar demands, e.g. inviting Tinsley & Luann to stay with her then running around calling them ungrateful, I'd be more apt to believe her about the $200. 

Dorinda was just itching to involve herself in that argument because Luann dared to question her speech at the Halloween dinner.  How anyone can be friends with Dorinda is beyond me. She'll turn on you so quickly & go so low with the verbal blows. Not a fan.

• Love 17

Lu advising Ramona: Your vocabulary is a whole nother story. 

But anyway, why does Ramona struggle with words and expressions? Were her parents born here? My parents were born in China. There were a lot of words and expressions I didn’t know. In high school. But now, several decades later, I am pretty caught up. Does Ramona have an excuse?

• Love 8

Seemed like Luanne was on more than alcohol,Dorinda seemed like that too imo when they were disagreeing about Sonja. I don’t like the way Ramona treats Elyse. She acts like she thinks she’s better than Elyse. Ramona treated Barbara kind of similar. Leah still seems like she’s putting on for the cameras lol.

• Love 10

It's too bad that Dorinda's taste hasn't improved with age. Bluestone Manor looks as tacky redecorated as it did before the flood. I believe it was Lu who said it was Blue Stone Manor on steriods? Perfect description. I did chuckle at Leah drinking from a mug with Blue Stone Manor stenciled on it. I wonder if Dorinda hawks those mugs on her website? 

I always laugh when Ramona brags about having 50 girlfriends. (Whatever did happen to the other 10?). I read once that extroverts have a lot of friends. but their relationships are very shallow. Introverts have a much smaller number of friends, but their friendships are close and on a much deeper level. Of the people I know who are extroverts and introverts, this is often true. 

• Like 1
  • Love 13
6 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Ramona was asked out by two men who met her "curteria." 

All those men asking her out that fit her “curteia”.  Fifty or sixty very close girlfriends and all their connections.  Yet she’s still alone.   I’m guessing that no one is asking her out and she’s a big fat liar.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Dorinda now has the ‘even-sober-she’s-slurring’ speech impediment going on these days. Dorinda DID sound drunk when Ramona called her drunk at the Halloween party. This ep, when Luanne tried to tell Dorinda that her speech to Ramona at the Halloween party was dark and mean Dorinda shut her down super fast “Don’t go there...” I think Dorinda is an expert in shutting people down when she suspects they are about to mention she was drunk/drinking too much.

oh... and Ramona pronouncing it HOlloween?! And when discussing ‘Ramona-isms’ with Lu she laughed at her own “pro-nown-cing” or “pro-nown-ciation” (can’t remember which)! The former annoying, the latter rather cute!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

I read once that extroverts have a lot of friends. but their relationships are very shallow.

I never realized that, makes sense because I have a neighbor who within two weeks of her moving in to the neighborhood had the phone numbers to everyone that hangs out at the restaurant bar across from the neighborhood...she met the adult daughter of a neighbor once and had her number in her phone, my other neighbor's daughter too...the bartenders of the local watering holes...an employee of a local Wawa, etc...I try to avoid the randoms (as I call them) at all costs yet she calls them all friends, g-d who has the energy to get involved in all those lives!

Ramona always "knows" the owner of this or that business, I think you are deff on to something, to prove it to herself she throws herself a birthday party every year.

Loved the outdated Homegoods glass apothecary candy jars on Dorinda's dining table, lol.

What Dorinda spent on wallpaper is impressive, it is not a cheap decor choice.

When Sonja and Elyse were looking at the old photos of Sonja I thought Sonja was saying the pictures were from 1926, 27, etc...

Lu asking Dorinda why she was getting involved in the firing Sonja from the Cabaret, (ugh, I used the c word) show, I think when you have a fight with all the women in the same room it is an invitation for all to chime in.  Then we see Lu telling all the women "let's get in there," when Elyse and Ramona were talking privately.

• Love 6

Did Dorinda redecorate Blue Stone Manor with items from the clearance aisle at Pier 1? I like bold colors too, but the tchotchkes look like things Edina Monsoon would buy while drunk. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
(edited)
16 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

“Sonja in the city” goes all the way back to season six, when Sonja fashioned herself a party planner and had the most awful music act for Aviva and Reid’s anniversary party.  She did the whole party wrong.  Glad to hear that is back!

It's no Caburlesque, but at least it's more feasible than the Nigerian soccer team. 

As for her participation in Luann's show, I think it's one of those arguments in which everyone is wrong. Sonja does get paid for her Dingbat Exhibitionist cameo. If she had a problem, she could talk it over with Luann and the directors instead of trying to make Luann look bad to the other Housewives.

Luann is delusional and not-so-secretly enjoys pontificating to anyone who slights her in the smallest way. Her show has a very niche audience, many of whom are familiar enough with RHONY to enjoy Sonja's cameo. Luann can calm down and refrain from acting as if her show is doing a huge job of exposing Sonja to a larger audience.

Edited by Vanderboom
  • Love 16

I actually really enjoyed the decor in BSM - different aesthetic to what's popular and its warm and cosy and British eccentric which would appeal to Dorinda. The taxidermy is gross and themed bedrooms a bit tacky, but overall I really liked it. 

Please tell me grown up women like Elyse are only trying to get airtime with the "am I your best fwend" bs and she's not genuinely trying to make Ramona be her close friend. Ramona slipping her coverup off in front of her husband is totally believable and gross/offensive.

Leah "tongue in the bum" McS shouldnt be hanging out with these women She's too young and out of place. They treat her like a kid not a peer.

• Love 12
8 hours ago, snarts said:

Back to the episode, They were all drunk, Leah's facial expressions reacting to Dorinda were killing me and I actually gasped when Sonja started feeling up Leah's FUPA.

Of course Dorinda thought that Leah was agreeing with her/shocked at Lu instead of bracing for Dorinda to launch into Lu's ass for daring to criticize her "toast."

• Love 8

I liked the BSM redo too. It looked as if the decorating was consistent with the time of building. The furniture actually looked comfortable to sit on.  Thank goodness Dorinda didn’t go for the ultra sleek characterless furnishings we see in the real estate shows or in any space done by Bethenny.

I would guess that Luann has wanted to get rid of Sonja for awhile but didn’t know how to do it. Sonja adds nothing to the show. While she is not an artist, Luann is a performer. Sonja is merely an exhibitionist. It’s not Luann’s job to support Sonja. If hair and makeup costs more than what she gets paid, Sonja should have stopped appearing, however business accumen is not Sonja’s strong suit.

• Love 21
5 minutes ago, janiema said:

I liked the BSM redo too. It looked as if the decorating was consistent with the time of building. The furniture actually looked comfortable to sit on.  Thank goodness Dorinda didn’t go for the ultra sleek characterless furnishings we see in the real estate shows or in any space done by Bethenny.

I would guess that Luann has wanted to get rid of Sonja for awhile but didn’t know how to do it. Sonja adds nothing to the show. While she is not an artist, Luann is a performer. Sonja is merely an exhibitionist. It’s not Luann’s job to support Sonja. If hair and makeup costs more than what she gets paid, Sonja should have stopped appearing, however business accumen is not Sonja’s strong suit.

Maybe that's why Bethenny flipped out every time she was at BSM: She couldn't handle all those bold colors. 🤣

• LOL 11
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I never realized that, makes sense because I have a neighbor who within two weeks of her moving in to the neighborhood had the phone numbers to everyone that hangs out at the restaurant bar across from the neighborhood...she met the adult daughter of a neighbor once and had her number in her phone, my other neighbor's daughter too...the bartenders of the local watering holes...an employee of a local Wawa, etc...I try to avoid the randoms (as I call them) at all costs yet she calls them all friends, g-d who has the energy to get involved in all those lives!

Ramona always "knows" the owner of this or that business, I think you are deff on to something, to prove it to herself she throws herself a birthday party every year.

Loved the outdated Homegoods glass apothecary candy jars on Dorinda's dining table, lol.

What Dorinda spent on wallpaper is impressive, it is not a cheap decor choice.

When Sonja and Elyse were looking at the old photos of Sonja I thought Sonja was saying the pictures were from 1926, 27, etc...

Lu asking Dorinda why she was getting involved in the firing Sonja from the Cabaret, (ugh, I used the c word) show, I think when you have a fight with all the women in the same room it is an invitation for all to chime in.  Then we see Lu telling all the women "let's get in there," when Elyse and Ramona were talking privately.

I thought the same, and then I realized that Sonja was talking about her age when the photos were taken, LOL!!  

Instead of those vanity photos on a revolving frame stand, Sonja should have several mirrors around, so that she will hopefully realize that she's NOT that somewhat attractive young "girl about town" anymore.  She should realize that she is a bloated, over-drinking, pathetic, 50-something woman who is living in a dream world.

(Although - seeing her briefly on WWHL, I'd like to know where the heck Sonja went in Palm Springs - whatever they did, they worked miracles on her!!  Aside from the ridiculous eyelashes, Sonja looked amazing!)

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, janiema said:

I liked the BSM redo too. It looked as if the decorating was consistent with the time of building.

I read an article in which Dorinda said that she spent a lot of time researching this very thing.  I think that's one of many reasons she was so stressed out.  It took a lot of time and effort to get the house just like she wanted it.  Some of the bold colors and wallpaper aren't for me, but it did help brighten up the place.  I liked the colors and pattern in the stair runner.  The wallpaper was a little too busy in the Fish room.  The purple couch would be a no, but I'd rather see that than the usual white on white with lots of chrome accents.  Dorinda's house looked inviting to be in.

Sonja's apartment (shown in her THs) actually looked nice.  Last time we saw it the place was so cluttered up that she could hardly walk around!  I wonder if she's really hurting for money and that's why she gave it up.    

• Love 7
(edited)
11 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

She IS doing Sonja a favor.  Hard as it may be to believe, Luann's show is seemingly successful, with or without Sonja. Sure, is it possible that Sonja may sell some more tickets on the margin? Yes, that is possible. But people are coming to the show to see Luann (again, as much as I have a hard time believing it), not Sonja.  

I think what probably bothered Lu about the whole situation is that she has built this cabaret act to be a successful one, and it's something that she's responsible for.  Good or bad, Lu has stuck with that show and worked hard on it, even if she isn't a particularly great singer or what have you.  Sonja, who has zero discipline whatsoever and likely could not have done something similar, seems to be horning in on Lu's success and seems to feel entitled to some part of it, and if I were Luann, I'd feel the same level of anger that Sonja feels that sense of entitlement. 

Anyway, Lu did do what you suggest she should do - she doesn't think there is much value to her show to have Sonja involved, so she fired her. I think purely from a financial perspective, she's not wrong. Tickets aren't being sold because of Sonja. 

I wouldn't pay to see Lu. I might (probably not) pay to see Lu and Sonja.

Edited by OdinO.
sp
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, geauxaway said:

Hey Luann, just bill Sonja as an “intern,” and you don’t have to pay her anything!  She should understand it if you lay it out in those terms.

I like BSM, loved the Misoni carpets and especially love Hannah’s room.  I think the dining room and kitchen are beautiful too.  

I think it's awful that Sonja didn't pay her interns either.  Is that even legal?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5