Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E13: Parma

• Start Topic

The chefs are treated to a culinary dream trip to Parma, the legendary home of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and Prosciutto di Parma ham; the chefs must feature the ingredients in two courses and serve their dishes to a table of 16 Michelin stars.

Original air date: June 11, 2020

I thought for sure Brian was gone, something about the first talking head he did where he said something about how Italy will change the way he cooks, and his life. It just seemed like he was eliminated and was finding the bright side.

Anyone of the final three for the win! 

• Love 12

Omg guys!!!!! Squeeeeeeee

I could not watch last week after knowing Gregory left. I adore him so that was quite a sting.

But I'm back on board the train now after reading who is in the final three!!!!!!

My Gregory loving heart is somewhat mollified as I really like Melissa and Stephanie. Quite like Bryan and his dorky laugh too! 

• Love 19

As Kevin said at the dinner table to the Italian chef, "Gracias!"  I'm glad he's gone.

I'm a bit of a picky eater so I don't always crave what they make on the show even though I do think it's beautiful.  But tonight? I could eat what Stephanie and Melissa made for their first meal every single night for the rest of my life. Especially Melissa's.  A broth made out of parmesean?  I love a great broth.

6 minutes ago, MerBearStare said:

One of my biggest pet peeves is when the judges criticize a dish for not having heart/soul/what ever other woo woo. All I care about is how it tastes. I'm not looking to eat heart; I'm looking to eat a delicious meal.

Ha. I hear this but I do think I understood the critique a little better when they focused on what he did with the foamed cheese.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Omg guys!!!!! Squeeeeeeee

I could not watch last week after knowing Gregory left. I adore him so that was quite a sting.

But I'm back on board the train now after reading who is in the final three!!!!!!

My Gregory loving heart is somewhat mollified as I really like Melissa and Stephanie. Quite like Bryan and his dorky laugh too! 

I adore Gregory too and was so bummed last week, but I read an interview with him today that went into much greater detail about his back injury and spasms.  He was in bad bad bad shape.  He said it was very hard to even get through the truffle hunt.

This is my favorite Final Three ever!  I’d be happy with any of the three.  I’m absolutely shocked that they really, truly told Mr. LCK Kevin to PYKAG (I’m not a fan), but it was the right call and he left feeling good about sending a message of coming back after a grave illness.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 22
5 minutes ago, rlc said:

So freaking happy right now! Best final three ever. Especially glad that Kevin is gone after his little dig at Bryan at the judges’ table:

Paraphrasing Padma, ‘Bryan, the Italian chefs thought that your food didn’t have soul.‘
Kevin to Padma- ‘I think I cooked with the most soul I’ve ever shown’.

EXACTLY!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
25 minutes ago, buttersister said:

The thing that’s bumming me out after the best ep ever? The worst finale sous chefs ever.

I was thinking the same thing. How great if the sous chefs were the winners of their seasons. Michael for Bryan (brothers), Mei for Melissa (besties) and Nicholas.....never mind.

But what about Michael for Bryan, Mei for Melissa and Kristen for Steph. All star finale for reals!!!!

• Love 17
1 hour ago, rlc said:

So freaking happy right now! Best final three ever. Especially glad that Kevin is gone after his little dig at Bryan at the judges’ table:

Paraphrasing Padma, ‘Bryan, the Italian chefs thought that your food didn’t have soul.‘
Kevin to Padma- ‘I think I cooked with the most soul I’ve ever shown’.

Noticed that!

Asshole thing to say.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:

I loved her outfit. It must be Italy's beautiful influence because she looked the best she has ever looked all season. 

I loved Tom's inner 12 year old self having a stifle the giggles while squirming in his seat moment during Kevin's stupid sprinkle the cheese on the dishes act.

Gail's dress was gorgeous.  Total turnaround from last week's biker chick chic. 

I thought Tom looked uncomfortable among all the Michelin starred chefs. He was doing a "turtle trying to retreat into his shell" thing, more than once. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

So happy Stephanie made it to the Finale. [Kermit] Yaaaayy!!

When the judges swooned over all four of Stephanie and Melissa's dishes and frowned at Kevin and Brian's I knew one of the men was going home. And they dissed all of them, the women clearly coming out ahead before they even went to Judges Table. Not sure with all the Italian Michelin starred chefs there why they needed to import another American as a guest judge though.

• Love 12
(edited)

I wasn’t aware how much I had grown to dislike Kevin until I leaped off the couch when Padma eliminated him! I legit will be delighted by whoever wins.

I knew Melissa’s was probably going to be fine  but I was watching via zoom with a few friends and when they reviewed Stephanie’s first  dish we all let out a sigh of relief that she would at least be in the conversation. So pleased!!! 

I love that though they can be devastating, “he cooks without heart or soul”, the Italian judges  can also appreciate surprise I forget the exact quotes for Stephanie’s first dish but it was basically when she told us what she had done we were horrified but it was pleasantly surprising/enjoyable! 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9

Echoing all the surprise and delight for Stephanie's triumph.

I always notice the opening order of the cheftestants with interest, even though it means nothing. Still, Stephanie is last and she's got such a smug little smile, I'm hoping she pulls out a win, especially since she's a personal chef amongst Chefs with a capital C who have restaurant(s).

• Love 8

When Padma first tasted Stephanie’s first dish and closed her eyes and said “Ummm,” I knew she made it to the finale.  Once she and Melissa’s first courses received rave reviews, I knew they both made it unless they really messed up.  I’m so happy! 

I’ve always loved Melissa so I’m thrilled.. I’ve always liked Stephanie but didn’t love her.  After this season, I LOVE Stephanie. I’m so happy for her.  You can tell that being in Italy really inspires her.  I have a feeling that wherever she’s always wanted to travel to but for whatever reason didn’t, she will now make it a point to go.  

Man, that criticism from the Italian judge of Bryan’s dish having no soul really shook him. I felt so bad for him.  The judge seemed like he was offended by the dish.  

All through the tours and dinner for the chefs, I just kept imagining Gregory being there.  I feel so bad for him.  

• Love 16

I really loved the attitude Stephanie had in this episode.  She was so calm and seemed to be enjoying the moment, and I think that helped her cooking. She cooked what she wanted to eat instead of creating something to impress the judges.  Her second dish was so simple.  I will always prefer a simple dish done well over an more ambitious dish.  Cabbage cooked with a salty, fatty meat is so tasty yet unassuming.  

• Love 23
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I really loved the attitude Stephanie had in this episode.  She was so calm and seemed to be enjoying the moment, and I think that helped her cooking. She cooked what she wanted to eat instead of creating something to impress the judges.  Her second dish was so simple.  I will always prefer a simple dish done well over an more ambitious dish.  Cabbage cooked with a salty, fatty meat is so tasty yet unassuming.  

Agreed. I love a good corned beef and cabbage dinner. When I saw her inserting slices of Prosciutto into the cabbage I thought "wow, cool!". I would very much like to taste that. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, wlk68 said:

It was Bryan who said gracias rather than grazie. Silly mistake but I've done the same.

Right, and so have I.  But as Brian mentioned several times, he is a proud Italian-American chef competing in a cooking competition in Italy.  To not have the intellectual curiosity to learn Italian (like Padma) is reflective of his workmanlike attitude and his lack of soul and passion.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, biakbiak said:
39 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

o not have the intellectual curiosity to learn Italian (like Padma) is reflective of his workmanlike attitude and his lack of soul and passion.

Or lack of opportunity. None of the chefs were fluent in Italian and Kevin was the one who proudly claimed he had been there several times.

In addition, it could also be that he's just not good at learning foreign languages.  

I wish I could be as calm and chill as Melissa is when she's under pressure.  She's got such a great demeanor.

I'm really looking forward to the finale and will be happy with any of the 3 winning - that'll make it much more enjoyable to watch.  Except I really wish Leeanne and Malarkey weren't coming back as sous chefs - they're both very tiring.

• Love 24
(edited)

I couldn't believe that Kevin put so much Parm on his dish that Tom C. was giving him the look of death.     I can't believe he over-salted his dish so much that the chefs complained.    The look on Tom C.'s face when Kevin was doing his "Olive Garden" imitation was hysterical.   

To not feature the main ingredient in the second dish was the reason he went home, for ignoring the rules of the challenge, as he always did.  I did have to laugh at Tom's reaction to Kevin's piling the cheese on the dishes.   This time Tom and the others couldn't ignore the local chefs, and their criticism of Kevin's dish.  

Even if there was a long time between the remark to Bryan about not cooking with soul, and Kevin's cooking "soulfully", it was still a nasty crack.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, wlk68 said:

ETA: It was Bryan who said gracias rather than grazie. Silly mistake but I've done the same. When I was in Mexico a couple of years ago, any time I couldn't think of the Spanish word for something my brain would automatically supply the French word. Got me more than a few confused looks. 🙂 

I had the opposite problem in Paris. Whenever I tried to say a simple French word like 'merci' all that came out was my high school Spanish. Embarassingly, I said gracias more than once.

• Love 9
(edited)

Still liked Kevin, felt like he got a bad rap here.  I felt like he just essentially fell into the unfortunate reality tv role of (we don't really have any villains, so we are going to latch on to the one that is closest to).  I do think his time was here was done.  It just looked like he just ignored his ingredients and just kind of made his own dishes.

If you told me that Steph would make it to the finals, when she was serving Padma that Indian Nacho, I would not have believed you.

So impressed with Steph's dishes.  The cabbage one reminded me of this.

Edited by seltzer3
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I thought it was ironic that Gail and Tom berated both Kevin and Bryan for not crisping the prosciutto, when they were both following the advice of the prosciutto master, who told them, "Never cook!"

After that absolute prohibition-- Stephanie cooked it in BOTH her dishes, and they loved them!

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
12 hours ago, hula-la said:

Gail’s dress reminded me of the peacock outside. 

10 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Gail's dress was gorgeous.  Total turnaround from last week's biker chick chic. 

The fabric was almost identical to my eighty-year old auntie’s favorite shirt! She wears it to every family gathering. 😂

• LOL 1

Goodbye and good riddance, Kevin!  Wasn't fond of him in his first season and he cemented my dislike this year.  Go Bryan!  I've been rooting for him since his first season and still think he was robbed when his brother got the win (I can't even watch reruns of that final episode because it makes me so mad to count who won each course before they give the win to Michael!)  And I've eaten at several of his restaurants AND met him and he's a great chef and a nice guy.  I took my goddaughter to Volt when she was in high school and he was in the kitchen.  I asked the waitress if she (my goddaughter) could get a picture with him and he invited us both into the kitchen to take a picture.  By the time we got back to her house she'd posted it on Facebook and her friends wanted to know "how did that happen??!!".  Her response was basically that her godmother was a nut and asked to take a picture with the chef, LOL.

Melissa and Stephanie are fine.  I don't love them or hate them and they're clearly very talented chefs so I won't be upset if they win.  But - GO BRYAN!!!!

• Love 22