Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: The Cabin

• Start Topic

I was horrified when Toby let Baby Jack chew on the Star Wars figurines right after that close call with the eggs. Those are not meant for children under three! It's a good thing we know that Baby Jack made it to adulthood, otherwise I would have been screaming at the TV.

I liked the present-day Big Three moments, glad that Kevin knows about Rebecca and got over being mad at Randall and Kate pretty quickly. The flashbacks with Mark were ho-hum for me though. I have a feeling this is not the last we'll see of him. Remember, Kate puts on nearly 200 pounds between ages 18 and 28. Something a lot more messed up must have happened to cause her to spiral in that way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

If looks could kill, Marc would be a dead man. Go Rebecca. Marc is such a piece of shit, locking Kate out of the cabin and breaking Jack's mug. He absolutely dropped it on purpose. 

Kevin was understandably upset about being the last to find out about Rebecca, but he seemed to be ok by the end. I wonder how it comes back up months later, or if it's something else that has him so pissed at Randall.

The tape, the picture puzzle, and the time capsule are all very "Jack." Young Randall and Kevin are usually shown to be fighting, so it was sweet to see Kevin pick the puzzle piece for Randall so he wouldn't panic. As someone who was once a pre-teen girl who played MASH all the time, I love that that was what Kate chose to put in the time capsule. Makes me wish I had saved some of mine. Kate playing Madison's three voicemails for Kevin cracked me up. I'm on board with the idea of Kevin and Madison, personally.

I hope Toby is honest with Kate about what happened to baby Jack, but I think he handled it well. I like that he figured out that he can still share his love of Star Wars with baby Jack, even if it's in a slightly different way than he pictured.

It's been awhile so I may be misremembering, but I think the song "To Build A Home" that played at the end was also used in the episode when the house burned down, so it's a great callback as we see Kevin envisioning his future home that Jack designed. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 8

And so not surprised she ended up telling Kate

Dick move - especially when she told Kevin about girl code.  If they end up in a relationship - it is not the love story that his parents had.  I never liked that character. See you next Tuesday, Madison! UGH - via voicemail too!

Edited by chabelisaywow
  • Love 7

Good lord, I’m exhausted. This episode was INTENSE. I can’t be the only one who is triggered by Carc. He’s every dick boyfriend I’ve ever had concentrated into one vile person. My heart stopped when he was tossing the mug and completely broke when he dropped it. I actually wanted him to start mouthing off to Rebecca so she would drag him out of the house with her bare hands.

• Love 23

I felt the show did a great job conveying a sense of dread throughout the entire episode. I was anxiously and nervously anticipating what was coming next almost the entire time.

I’m wondering if the rift between Randall and Kevin has anything to do with next week’s previews. Randall was telling his therapist the family would have fallen apart if it wasn’t for him, and he didn’t seem to react well when she challenged him on that. I’m wondering if all of Randall’s resentment and repressed feelings (namely being the one to step up and help Rebecca after Jack’s death) really comes out in therapy. Maybe Randall references that in a conversation with Kevin and it goes south fast? We know Randall can say ugly things that he soon regrets saying (ex. the voicemail for Beth)

Add me to the list of people who think there’s no way Mark is out of the picture. I’m wondering if that situation leads to a restraining order?

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

The scene of a choking Jack made me glad I am not a parent. I would have no idea what to do. Do parents learn this? 

One under-appreciated scene is the one where Kate reassures Randall that he doesn’t need to handle Rebecca’s illness alone. It echoes last week’s episode. I suspects Teen Kate leaves Pittsburg, whether to stay with Sophie and Kevin or somewhere else. But it reinforces Rebecca and Randall’s relationship. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 14

The waterworks started when Toby began introducing Lil’ Jack to Star Wars characters. The tape was so perfect, **sniff** it was Rebecca who put the sketch in the Uber-protected time capsule. And all the onions were chopped when I realized Kevin would build that house.

What saved me from becoming a puddle? Seeing Hot Older Kevin, who’s more age appropriate for me. Thanks, Show!

• Love 21
13 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

The scene of a choking Jack made me glad I am not a parent. I would have no idea what to do. Do parents learn this? 

There are infant CPR classes.

42 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

I have had this experience.  I was very close to my grandfather, who raised me.  Last year I was looking up some genealogy information and ran across my deceased grandfather's name on a YouTube video.  When I clicked on it there was my grandfather.  Someone had filmed interviews of local business owner's from my hometown and included my grandfather.  The video was filmed before my grandfather got sick.  He looked and acted just as I remember him.  He was telling some tall tale with a wink and sparkle in his eye.  That video bring up so many emotions for me. 

I have tried to download the video to my computer but I can't.  I tried to contact the person who posted the video by he has passed away.  Does anyone have any ideas on how I can preserve this video?  

The only reliable program I know of is youtube-dl, but it requires a lot of tech savvy to install and run. PM me if you'd like me to help.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8

This was lovely.  Thank you, show.

Can you imagine how Kate and Randall would react if either was (deliberately) the last to know about something as gut-wrenching as Rebecca's cognitive impairment?  Nowhere near as gracefully as Kevin did, I'll tell you that.

Similarly, I will take Justin Hartley at any age.

tenor.gif?itemid=4871135

Similarly, I'm not looking forward to Randall the Megalomaniacal Savior of the World rearing his ugly head next week, but I am looking forward to his therapist (hopefully) popping that balloon with a quickness.

Rebecca showed remarkable restraint with Marc; I would have gone absolutely feral on his garbage dump ass.

• Love 16

Future Kevin is hot, like hotter than present day Kevin. 

Hope this is the last we'll see of Marc since he's such a piece of trash but rarely do abusively relationships end so cleanly so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes Kate a while to leave him.

I was glad Madison decided to come clean to Kate. She doesn't seem the type to be particularly good at keeping secrets and this why we're spared a future tantrum from Kate about both her best friend and brother lying to her. I just hope we get to see Kate be an actual friend to Madison at some point.. maybe during the pregnancy (if Madison isn't a red herring and is in fact the baby mama). Do we know if Kevin and Baby Mama are still together in the future or just that there's a kid? 

I feel for Randall for having to keep his mother's secret and I'm glad Kevin isn't holding it against him because it really wasn't his place to share that information until Rebecca was ready, but now I'm really curious as to what could have caused the rift between the brothers. Maybe Randall tells Kevin he's not ready to be father? 

Nice to see Kate acknowledge that she's been kind of a jerk to her mother all these years. It's not uncommon for women to get closer to their mothers once they become mothers themselves so for Kate to realize that she'll be slowly losing her mother just as she finally got to a good place with her was really heartbreaking. 

I feel like this season as a whole has been really about Rebecca as a mother, whereas the past few seasons were centered around Jack the superhero dad. It's nice to see Rebecca get her due. Randall got his time with his mom, being the one to realize something was off and take her to the doctor, and we saw in Kate's episode last week that even as a child and an obvious Daddy's girl, she still wanted her mother, plus we got some nice scenes between them in present day together at the pool and all that. I hope we get some Kevin/Rebecca bonding next. 

• Love 23
1 hour ago, Aileen said:

Beth told Kevin that “everyone” was inside. Kate’s not there. I don’t think Kate’s alive in the future timeline 

Kate wasn't there in an earlier episode but "they" were on the way with little (not so little anymore) Jack.  So it may be that Kate and Jack arrived sometime between Toby's phone call and Kevin.  Or maybe Jack arrived with some other they.   Time will tell.  But I don't think the Kevin/Beth moment at the end tells us anything at all about future Kate.

• Love 18

I don't get why it has anything at all to do with Kate that Madison slept with Kevin. Neither of them is married or attached, so why not? Madison seems quite immature though, so I hope Kevin sees her silly phone calls to Kate as a big red flag, and I really hope she's not the baby mama.

• Love 19

Although this episode was extremely predictable it still moved me to tears. Of course that's how Kevin's house came to be. Really beautiful and shows Kevin's personality perfectly. I just love him. 

For the flashbacks from the cabin my heart stopped when Marc dropped the cup... I can't even imagine. And to think she still went on and excused everything. Poor poor Kate. I thought Kevin played perfectly in the breakfast scene, the way he looks at Marc is such a brotherly protective way. To be honest though I wish they would have played it out more. It felt a little, I dont know, short? And of course an abusive boyfriend is serious, but still think it could have been different. Rebecca really only needed one of the boys with her. 

The Toby and Jack stuff seemed dragged out, but good to see he can be a great father and knows it now. I just still fail to see any light in him. Still don't think there are good things to come in this family. 

Back to Kevin, yes I am obsessed, I think it's really showing that all his good deeds always are hidden from everyone else except the one person he is with. I really feel for him. 

• Love 12

I hate this thought but since birth control is used infrequently on TV or the effectiveness drops 90%, do you think Kate gets pregnant? No mention or alluding to it all these seasons which would be odd (even Marc) but I can't imagine they didn't sleep together and I know Marc wouldn't use anything and was Kate on the pill, doubt it.

I feel he dies, I was thinking they find out leaving the cabin and see his car, which might come up one day, but controlling her longer and sneaking around or getting her pregnant, IDK, I hope they don't do that but it was "morning" when they came.

I also would never have let my daughter go to a cabin so far away, especially pre cellphone but kids that age are able to do things without your permission also. It just wouldn't have been an "okay, that's fine" type of thing. They felt it was needed to show his meanness but again, why is he so mean? Does it not matter?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Some scattered thoughts:

- I can easily believe that Kate's relationship with Marc is something that she rarely, if ever, talks about. I'm not surprised it didn't come up over the past few years. Lots of people would be extremely reluctant to bring up memories of a traumatizing relationship like that - especially someone as repressed as Kate.

- The Pearsons are awful at lying. Randall couldn't keep that trip to LA secret for more than a few minutes. And once he blurted it out, Kate might as well have been wearing a sign that said, "Something terrible has happened, and I know all about it."

- Along those lines, congratulations on breaking the news to Kevin in the worst possible way. The diagnosis was mild cognitive impairment, but of course Randall left out the word "mild." And when Kevin says that Rebecca seemed fine, Randall could have just said, "She noticed she was forgetting small things." As opposed to, "You might not have noticed, but I sure did!"

- The way Rebecca singles out young Kevin for criticism is over the top. All the kids can make snarky comments about not wanting to do a time capsule, but Kevin is the one who gets warned not to be "fresh?" She plays favorites so hard that it's straight-up cruel.

- Of course Kevin looks great as a silver fox. They didn't bother to age his face! I'm sure if you sprayed some silver in Chris Hemsworth's hair, he'd look like he'd aged really nicely, too.

- I actually give Kate a lot of credit for briefly expressing annoyance with the Kevin/Madison hookup, and then moving on with her life. Season 1 Kate would have locked herself in her room and called a suicide hotline.

• LOL 2
  • Love 20
5 hours ago, SadieT said:

I was glad Madison decided to come clean to Kate. She doesn't seem the type to be particularly good at keeping secrets and this why we're spared a future tantrum from Kate about both her best friend and brother lying to her. I just hope we get to see Kate be an actual friend to Madison at some point.. maybe during the pregnancy (if Madison isn't a red herring and is in fact the baby mama). Do we know if Kevin and Baby Mama are still together in the future or just that there's a kid? 

We don't know if Kevin and his son's mother are together in the future, but we just saw a clue that maybe they aren't at the end of this episode. He arrives alone, and in the first flash forward that we saw when everyone was gathering, Randall asks the son "where's your dad", not where are your parents, so Kevin may be a single dad at that point. Or not. We also haven't seen Annie or Deja or heard them mentioned.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

The last 4 episodes have been very solid.

I wondered if Randall and Kevin's falling out is going to be over Kevin wanting to build the house and part of Randall's issues to control everything!

That small bit of soft egg seemed unlikely to cause a choking incident, but maybe I'm just lucky that my daughter never had such issues with her food! (I still cut up grapes for her, she's 3 and always remember nurse saying that's the most common and dangerous choking food)

Edited by peace355
  • Love 7
26 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

- Of course Kevin looks great as a silver fox. They didn't bother to age his face! I'm sure if you sprayed some silver in Chris Hemsworth's hair, he'd look like he'd aged really nicely, too.

It's Hollywood where male actors are under increasing pressure to get work done at a certain age so I can handwave the smooth face  away by Kevin doing exactly that. And if Justin Hartley manages to get the number of Jane Fonda's dude he's got good chances to ease into a version of that silver fox.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, MissLucas said:

It's Hollywood where male actors are under increasing pressure to get work done at a certain age so I can handwave the smooth face  away by Kevin doing exactly that. And if Justin Hartley manages to get the number of Jane Fonda's dude he's got good chances to ease into a version of that silver fox.

Didn't he have facial hair, or did I hallucinate that? I don't think I remember seeing him other than clean-shaven before. Graying facial hair can both add age, and hide some of the effects of it. I may be wrong about it, someone correct me if I am, but I was so taken by how good he looked, I might have mentally just added it (and I normally am not into him, at all).

• Love 7

I teared up when the adult Big 3 listened to their dad's tape.  It seems to me it's the first time they've had a tangible connection to Jack on the show.  Heartbreaking.  (Oh, wait, they do have the video tapes that were rescued from the fire.)

The 18yo Big 3 are so good.  The young lady playing Kate was a standout in this episode as was young Kevin.  He sounded exactly like adult Kevin.

Ohhh, the house on the hill!  I'm glad to see Kevin arrive.  (Wait, was this future scene when the family was gathered for Rebecca, or just a random scene of Kevin arriving home?)  Hopefully by this time in the future he will have reconciled with Randall.

• Love 9

I thought the episode was beautifully done and I was crying by the time they showed Kevin’s house. I always think Kevin is the child who has Jack’s personality. 

I liked Toby interacting with baby Jack but he should be crazy about him whether he is blind or not, likes Star Wars or not.

The reason why women don’t want their friends dating their brothers is because they don’t want to take sides if they break up and usually end up losing the friend.

• Love 18
3 hours ago, debraran said:

I hate this thought but since birth control is used infrequently on TV or the effectiveness drops 90%, do you think Kate gets pregnant? No mention or alluding to it all these seasons which would be odd (even Marc) but I can't imagine they didn't sleep together and I know Marc wouldn't use anything and was Kate on the pill, doubt it.

She did have an emotional reaction to the MASH. Kevin thought it was about Joey Lawrence but it seemed to me she reacted to having 2 kids, a boy and a girl. It could just be trauma from her experience with baby Jack and possibly not having more children, but it could be from being pregnant before, possibly with a girl. 

Did anyone else briefly think, if this were a different type of show, that the fight was going to get unexpectedly violent, Marc was somehow going to get fatally injured, and the Pearsons were going to cover it up and bury him at the cabin in the time capsule spot? Okay, probably just me. 

• Useful 5
  • LOL 14
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

- Along those lines, congratulations on breaking the news to Kevin in the worst possible way. The diagnosis was mild cognitive impairment, but of course Randall left out the word "mild." And when Kevin says that Rebecca seemed fine, Randall could have just said, "She noticed she was forgetting small things." As opposed to, "You might not have noticed, but I sure did!"

And then Randall followed up with "We will know more after her MRI."  Not she will know.  Randall did everything he could to drive home the point that he is in charge of the family and Kevin is just window dressing.  

18 minutes ago, InsertWordHere said:

Did anyone else briefly think, if this were a different type of show, that the fight was going to get unexpectedly violent, Marc was somehow going to get fatally injured, and the Pearsons were going to cover it up and bury him at the cabin in the time capsule spot? Okay, probably just me. 

If this was a different show, we would have seen Marc abuse Kate in graphic detail.  I'm glad it is not.  

Edited by Ohiopirate02
  • Love 13
10 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Great episode. 

Why would Kate possibly care if Kevin and Madison had sex?  

5 hours ago, Lily H said:

I don't get why it has anything at all to do with Kate that Madison slept with Kevin. Neither of them is married or attached, so why not? Madison seems quite immature though, so I hope Kevin sees her silly phone calls to Kate as a big red flag, and I really hope she's not the baby mama.

49 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

The reason why women don’t want their friends dating their brothers is because they don’t want to take sides if they break up and usually end up losing the friend.

Kate knows that Kevin doesn't have a great history with women.  He & Sophie married young and that didn't last.  We've seen him have several girlfriends where he didn't take care of the relationships that didn't last.  We even saw it with Beth's cousin - he ruined that with his alcoholism and addictive behavior.  Kevin is a complex character, with many good traits as well as destructive ones.  Madison is her best friend, and Kate doesn't want her to be hurt, as that is the pattern with Kevin.  If Kate had to  choose sides, that would be devastating to her.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, crowsworks said:

my stupid cable shut off just as Kev drove up to the Frank Lloyd Wright looking 'cabin'. what happened after?

It's funny you say that - I live a mile from FLW's studio and a bunch of his homes.  When they showed the house, I said out loud, to myself  "oh Jack is Frank Llyod Wright now".  

• LOL 13
  • Love 3

Like most people who suddenly find themselves in the one conversation they did not want to have, Randall put his foot in it. His mind was frozen but not his mouth; he was apologizing for his words almost before Kevin had reacted. If there are three people in a room and a whole herd of elephants, the elephant that's absolutely going to get discussed is the one that only two of the three people know about. Yet when that happens, the two culprits are usually appalled, groping, and seemingly determined to make it worse.

Randall is nearing the end of the beginning of a nervous breakdown. He may already be tipped over the edge and running in place above the chasm. The man dealing with having just told Kevin what he promised not to, is the man who twenty minutes earlier, was certain he needed to leave and drive another six hours to the wrong city to make sure his family was safe. And to better monitor the security cameras trained on an empty house.

Yet before Randall touched bottom, he was able to show his siblings why he called on Kevin in the first place. As a confirmation of who his brother is to him -- and only his brother, even while Jack was alive -- Randall found the words to state the problem, and Kevin understood this to mean, What do I do? Kevin told him, and I didn't question for a moment that Randall would now enter therapy. 

So what causes the rift? I'm guessing that Randall is set the task of separating himself from his mother and her condition for a few months. That's what Kevin meant when he told Rebecca, six months from now, "We're not speaking to Randall right now, remember?" 

• Useful 6
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, ShadowFacts said:

Didn't he have facial hair, or did I hallucinate that? I don't think I remember seeing him other than clean-shaven before. Graying facial hair can both add age, and hide some of the effects of it. I may be wrong about it, someone correct me if I am, but I was so taken by how good he looked, I might have mentally just added it (and I normally am not into him, at all).

I believe he did have some facial hair (probably another reason for the unwitting rawrr I let out when I saw him).

I keep going back to Kate and Rebecca's sort of wistful look when they found the photo of Kate and Mark in the piano bench. I can't see them having warm/regretful fuzzies if it ended with the events of this episode. That, along with Kate's weight gain over then next few years tells me there has to be more to the story. I anticipate some kind of super sad backstory (beyond the parents divorce/his dad being rough on him) for Mark's abhorrent behavior, and that he is either dead or incarcerated, with some massive guilty feelings on Kate's part. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Toby cooking eggs, taking them from a hot pan and putting them in a bowl to serve to baby Jack was far too stupid to believe.  I may have missed it, but I don't think he checked the temperature of the food before he gave it to Jack.

That scene was weird. Why wasn't Toby feeding Jack with a baby spoon/fork? I know older infants often use their hands to eat finger foods like Cheerios right off the high chair tray but eggs are messy and baby Jack can't see. I thought Toby added hot sauce to the eggs and that caused the choking reaction. Good save but Toby was pretty inept with the feeding imo. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

I have had this experience.  I was very close to my grandfather, who raised me.  Last year I was looking up some genealogy information and ran across my deceased grandfather's name on a YouTube video.  When I clicked on it there was my grandfather.  Someone had filmed interviews of local business owner's from my hometown and included my grandfather.  The video was filmed before my grandfather got sick.  He looked and acted just as I remember him.  He was telling some tall tale with a wink and sparkle in his eye.  That video bring up so many emotions for me. 

I have tried to download the video to my computer but I can't.  I tried to contact the person who posted the video by he has passed away.  Does anyone have any ideas on how I can preserve this video?  

You can Google "saving a YouTube video" and I'm sure somebody can help you walk through the steps.  The website would help convert the Youtube video to an MP4 file that you would then save to your computer or hard drive.  Don't worry it can be done.  Just hopefully you can preserve it before someone deletes it.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

I haven't watched the ep yet and I can't help myself from coming here to read up on things. My heart is already feeling the sweet anguish of them getting to hear their dad's voice. We're so lucky these days. We can take pics or videos on a dime but back then capturing something like that wasn't the norm. I'm such a sap. I can't wait to see this. Bring it on TIU. I'm ready.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
44 minutes ago, Pallas said:

So what causes the rift? Right now I'm guessing that Randall is set the task of separating himself from his mother and her condition for a few months. That's what Kevin meant when he told Rebecca, six months from now, "We're not speaking to Randall right now, remember?" 

That could be. But wasn't Randall repeatedly calling her on her cell in that episode? That was muddled up with Thanksgiving present and Big 3 future birthday, but I thought his name was visible on her phone that she lost at the grocery store. Also, would it be a bit draconian for Randall to not have at least some limited contact? If she's still living in California there's enough spatial distance for him to cede control to Miguel and his siblings. I feel like no contact would unduly punish Rebecca.

51 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I keep going back to Kate and Rebecca's sort of wistful look when they found the photo of Kate and Mark in the piano bench. I can't see them having warm/regretful fuzzies if it ended with the events of this episode. That, along with Kate's weight gain over then next few years tells me there has to be more to the story. I anticipate some kind of super sad backstory (beyond the parents divorce/his dad being rough on him) for Mark's abhorrent behavior, and that he is either dead or incarcerated, with some massive guilty feelings on Kate's part. 

Yes, and words to the effect of "never saw it coming" were said.  That, and there was the way Mark stood there when Rebecca told him to get the hell out, without being defiant, but just stony. Almost like he expected more of a verbal attack or something. There's more we have yet to see.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, SadieT said:

Do we know if Kevin and Baby Mama are still together in the future or just that there's a kid? 

We don't know, but there's been no sign of her. In this first flash-forward, Randall (I think) asks Kevin's son where his dad is and he says he went to get food because he realized they didn't have any. In last night's episode, we saw Kevin arrive home alone with the food. There was no sign of a wife/partner in either flash-forward scene.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

The fire killed her father and destroyed most of the family's belongings.  That mug was one of the few things that belonged to her dad.  Marc knew that and he took PLEASURE in destroying it.  When Kate dared to confront him on it he calls her fat and locks her out of her cabin in a snowstorm.  That guy is one dangerous guy and he is not done with Kate.

He is an emotional sadist and that type of abuse very quickly becomes physical abuse. I mean he almost let her freeze to death.

10 hours ago, Aileen said:

Beth told Kevin that “everyone” was inside. Kate’s not there. I don’t think Kate’s alive in the future timeline 

I think the show runners said they did not show Kate because they did not know how she would look in the future which is highly dependent on her weight loss journey.  However, given this show’s love of the dramatic...they certainly could decide to give her an early death😢

8 hours ago, SadieT said:

Future Kevin is hot, like hotter than present day Kevin. 

Hope this is the last we'll see of Marc since he's such a piece of trash but rarely do abusively relationships end so cleanly so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes Kate a while to leave him.

I feel for Randall for having to keep his mother's secret and I'm glad Kevin isn't holding it against him because it really wasn't his place to share that information until Rebecca was ready, but now I'm really curious as to what could have caused the rift between the brothers. Maybe Randall tells Kevin he's not ready to be father? 

Nice to see Kate acknowledge that she's been kind of a jerk to her mother all these years. It's not uncommon for women to get closer to their mothers once they become mothers themselves so for Kate to realize that she'll be slowly losing her mother just as she finally got to a good place with her was really heartbreaking. 

I feel like this season as a whole has been really about Rebecca as a mother, whereas the past few seasons were centered around Jack the superhero dad. It's nice to see Rebecca get her due. Randall got his time with his mom, being the one to realize something was off and take her to the doctor, and we saw in Kate's episode last week that even as a child and an obvious Daddy's girl, she still wanted her mother, plus we got some nice scenes between them in present day together at the pool and all that. I hope we get some Kevin/Rebecca bonding next. 

I love that Kate finally admitted that she had been a jerk to Rebecca all her life. I would have loved to have a mom that would drop everything and help me take care of my baby.  This episode has made Kate likable again.

Is middle school age Kate taller than adult Kate?

This episode got me in the feels❤️💜🧡

Baby Jack is adorable.

Kevin is hot at any age.

• Love 9

Oh, Future Kevin - you sly, delicious silver fox, you.  Yowza!

Kate playing her voicemail messages to Kevin as he straight-up lied to her face at the grocery store was hilarious - Chrissy Metz has great facial expressions.  Gotta say - I did not see the Kevin/Madison hookup coming.  Madison does bring some pretty good snark though.  It would be jarring for anyone to find out that your friend and your sibling were hooking up - give Kate a minute to get used to the idea.

The Big 3 at the cabin was great, but as someone mentioned above, I wish their time there had been longer and a bit more drawn out.  I felt like there was potential to really talk things out, and they kind of only hit the surface.  But I really like seeing the siblings interact with no one else around sometimes.  Kate and Jack approaching Randall outside in the snow, looking dead serious, with Kevin holding a shovel:  Randall:  "You guys gonna kill me?".  LOLs.

Mark at the cabin...I just knew when Kate came back with the firewood in her arms that that a-hole had locked her out.  Then we see him sipping his coffee and all but twirling that disgusting skinny mustache of his while listening to Kate pound on the doors and beg to be let in.  The TeenKate actress was really good and subtle leading up to and during the pancake breakfast scene - but I just knew she was hiding something (which turned out to be her cut-up hand).  I really wanted Kevin and Randall to pound the stuffing out of Mark and for Rebecca to take her turn, too.

As soon as Jack showed Rebecca the sketch of the house, I thought to myself, "that looks just like that futuristic fancy rustic cabin from that Old-Rebecca-Is-Dying episode".  It just looked so familiar.  Do we know if it's still a "family", i.e. shared cabin?  I assume so, since Kevin just drove up at the end of this episode as though he were just visiting.

Add me to the list of Baby Jack admirers - he is such an adorable little dumpling. 

We haven't seen the last of Mark yet, I'm afraid...as horrible as he's been to Kate up till now, I feel like there is something else more potentially scarring in the works for Kate.  Though I really hope I'm wrong.

• Love 12

So many thoughts on this fantastic episode.

-The last 3 episodes + this one highlight how much better it is when the Big 3 are together 

-Them hearing the tape of Jack's voice. I don't care about how "realistic" the tape being playable is. While we (the audience) get to see Jack every week, those 3 haven't seen or heard him in 15 years. And the fact that they didn't realize it was him until they heard his voice (because they thought it was Rebecca's time capsule contribution) was devastatingly touching.

-I "hope" that was not the last of Marc, because it doesn't seem like enough damage was done to Kate (not that I want her to go through that, but it makes for a fascinating back story). Someone upthread said that the reaction to finding his photo at the beginning of the season was "warm/regretful" but what I saw was horror. Rebecca said something about "how could I not see what you were going through" which speaks to a prolonged pattern of abuse, not just one incident of being locked out (for all the family knows), and then Mark being gone.

-All of the comments about the Star Wars toys being choking hazards for little Jack are totally justified. BUT, I was actually disappointed that Toby wasn't putting them IN Jack's hands. Toby had had this idea of introducing his son to Star Wars. He thought that Jack's blindness was going to prevent that. But realizing that he could still share Star Wars but in a way that a blind person could appreciate would show that he was acknowledging and accepting his child's differences. He just kept saying "this is so-and-so" but without any reference that Jack could use (not that a child that young who has sight would really get that, but still). At least he was making some of the noises and saying the famous lines so Jack got the auditory input.

-Silver-fox Kevin can get it 😉

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

That could be. But wasn't Randall repeatedly calling her on her cell in that episode? That was muddled up with Thanksgiving present and Big 3 future birthday, but I thought his name was visible on her phone that 

Yes, and words to the effect of "never saw it coming" were said.  That, and there was the way Mark stood there when Rebecca told him to get the hell out, without being defiant, but just stony. Almost like he expected more of a verbal attack or something. There's more we have yet to see.

Marks not gone. . They might show him leaving  next week but that was definitely blurred this show. He will contact her at store or leaving work. Please let that one night stand be just that. Kate’s self esteem shouldn’t be that low with loving parents and brothers.  Did she have friends? No reason why not.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Do we think that maybe Kate terminated a pregnancy and that was why she got so said when the mash thing said two kids?  

She did have a miscarriage. I think a wanted pregnancy that ended in miscarriage would be enough to make her sad over the two kid thing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

I loved this episode so much. I've always liked Toby and I've been feeling his pain since the baby was born.  I cried when Toby cried after the glob of egg had been brought up.  I'm a relief crier, too, steady during the crisis but sobbing when it's all over.  I think it was Toby's break through moment and he realizes now just how intense and unconditional his love for Jack is.  Star Wars was just a little icing on the cake, not anything important anymore. He and Kate both need to know that having fun with a baby is cool, but just holding them and just loving  them is the best thing in the world.

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, OhSarah69 said:

Do we know if it's still a "family", i.e. shared cabin?  I assume so, since Kevin just drove up at the end of this episode as though he were just visiting.

It's Kevin's house. In the previous flash-forward scene, someone (Toby?) says "Kevin's house is big!" Kevin's son says he went out to get food because he realized they didn't have any. This scene was a continuation of that one, with Kevin arriving home with the food.

• Love 4