Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: The Cabin

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Kate has had weight issues long before she got involved with Mark.  I won't put that on him. There are a lot of reasons to not like the guy, but Kate's weight gain isn't one of them.

Kevin wanting to beat the crap out of Mark wasn't helpful either.

Rebecca deserves a lot of credit for keeping her cool given all that went on at the cabin.  She had to keep her sons under control, try not to upset Kate anymore than she already was, and also get Mark to leave.

I don't know why Kate would care that Kevin and Madison had slept together.  They are adults, they can do what they want.

Because Kate would get in the middle of all of their business and Madison would want her to intervene if Kevin wasn’t speaking to her etc. I have seen it happen a few times with people I know. When the friend breaks up with the brother, they usually break up with the friend. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, abc123baby said:

i said before i didn't get why they went out of their way to get randall when no one knew anything was wrong. but wow, i think that would have all played out differently if rebecca had gone alone. marc was thinking about how to "bow up" even with the brothers there! he wasn't going to leave! and to flat out admit what he did? and try to make it kate's fault? wow.

I was involved with someone like that. He even locked me outside late at night, too, though, not in the snow.  Huge creep, but, very nice to most people outwardly.  Narcissistic personalities can be deceivingly charming. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, PRgal said:

I was thinking the same thing.  I played in the late 80s-1991-ish maybe?  I'm basically exactly one year older than the Big 3 (okay my birthday is September 1, but close enough, right?) and wouldn't have been caught dead playing as a middle schooler.  Not cool.

We played until at least 94/95 around me, that was 9th grade. But by then we had graduated to including boys we hated and terrible jobs so we could laugh at how terrible

3 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

I hope that the writer(s) are friends with Elijah and it's a friendly jab, otherwise, kind of passive-aggressive shade. Funny though.

Is Elijah Wood in some new project? I was obsessed with him as a kid, but haven't thought of him in years. But then the other day he popped up in some YouTube video I was recommended. And now This Is Us is talking about him? Super weird.

Is the flash forward only 15 years in the future? Kevin looked more than 15 years older (as good as he looked).

7 minutes ago, cameron said:

Don't know if they put extra weight suits on the Kate character, but she look bigger then ever.

I'm guessing not, since she looked the same as when she performed at the Oscars last week.

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I was involved with someone like that. He even locked me outside late at night, too, though, not in the snow.  Huge creep, but, very nice to most people outwardly.  Narcissistic personalities can be deceivingly charming. 

This is why I'm struggling with their writing of Mark.  It would be a better, more realistic storyline to me if he was not an outright jerk and instead charmed the  family members so it took more time for them to realize he's abusive.

• Love 8

In a typical teen show, Kate would have been wooed by a more conventionally attractive and socially desirable person, maybe a football buddy of Kevin or a college classmate of Randall. Who is an abuser. 

While Kevin, Randall and Rebecca all had their reservations, none of them initially viewed Marc as an abusive threat. The flashback nature of the show allows us to focus on the more negative aspects of the Kate/Marc relationship. I am not sure we needed Marc to charm everyone else. 

• Love 8
On 2/18/2020 at 10:01 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Justin Hartley is still fine 15ish years in the future. 

On 2/18/2020 at 10:02 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

Is it weird I never found Kevin sexy at all until I saw silver fox Kevin?

On 2/18/2020 at 10:02 PM, debraran said:

I agree, re Madison and Kevin was nicely aged. ; ) 

On 2/18/2020 at 10:02 PM, CleoCaesar said:

Can’t decide what is more attractive: silver-fox Kevin or that gorgeous future cabin.

On 2/18/2020 at 10:03 PM, MissT said:

Kevin looked HOT at the end. !!!

On 2/18/2020 at 10:05 PM, bettername2come said:

And damn to Silver Fox Kev. Hell yes

On 2/18/2020 at 10:06 PM, MissL said:

And I love that Y’all are calling older Kevin silver fox because I actually said that out loud when he appeared on my screen.

On 2/18/2020 at 10:06 PM, Lady Calypso said:

future Kevin? Insanely hot still.

On 2/18/2020 at 10:08 PM, BuckeyeLou said:

And silver-haired Kevin is Handsome!

On 2/18/2020 at 10:12 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Silver fox Future Kevin...mee-yow!

On 2/18/2020 at 10:15 PM, nixgirl28 said:

Kevin is like a fine wine, getting better with age!

23 hours ago, SadieT said:

Future Kevin is hot, like hotter than present day Kevin.

18 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I guess show made it up to Kevin by turning him into a magnificent silver fox by the end 😁

18 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Of course Kevin looks great as a silver fox. They didn't bother to age his face!

17 hours ago, MissLucas said:

It's Hollywood where male actors are under increasing pressure to get work done at a certain age so I can handwave the smooth face  away by Kevin doing exactly that. And if Justin Hartley manages to get the number of Jane Fonda's dude he's got good chances to ease into a version of that silver fox.

14 hours ago, OhSarah69 said:

Oh, Future Kevin - you sly, delicious silver fox, you.  Yowza!

14 hours ago, qtpye said:

Kevin is hot at any age.

14 hours ago, lovett1979 said:

-Silver-fox Kevin can get it 😉

10 hours ago, Diane12251 said:

and yes, Justin Hartley looked very hunky with the gray hair and beard... be still, my heart!!  

11 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Just pointing out that while silver-fox Kevin didn't look much older than present-day Kevin, neither did older Beth.

10 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Black and money don't crack.

9 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

If it's 12-15 years in the future, they are early to mid fifties, and from 40 to that isn't huge for lots of people.

8 hours ago, DFWGina said:

Also from 40 to 50 for people of decent wealth/income and indoor jobs is not going to be a big change.   Given Kevin has celebrity bucks and likely skin care routines....  and likely some help from a dermatologist... he isn't going to age as much as a construction worker or farmer outdoors doing manual labor in the sun for 10 years who likely doesn't do a lot with skin care. 

Don't forget that at the time of Jack's death, he was supposed to be about 54, but looked just like a 40ish Milo Ventimiglia-he didn't even have gray hair.  So it's not surprising that a 54ish future Kevin doesn't look a lot older then 43 year-old Justin Hartley, even though they tried to age him up by giving him gray hair.  And Rebecca is close to 50 when Jack dies, and looks like 35 year-old Mandy Moore.  So Kevin's got great genes.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4

I thought the show did a good job making Marc just enough of an asshole (I'm not convinced that he broke the mug accidentally, and I have several family mementos that I'd be devastated to have destroyed so that hit home) without letting him drift into psycho territory. It would have been satisfying to see Kevin put a hurtin' on him, but I'll settle for him being out of Kate's life.

I realize Toby was finally bonding with Jack, but I don't think I'd have been able to handle him putting the toys in his mouth so soon after choking.  First thing I thought after the Baby- Heimlich maneuver was, "Okay Jack, this is between us.  Mom doesn't ever need to know, right?" 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, cameron said:

Don't know if they put extra weight suits on the Kate character, but she look bigger then ever.

I don't want to be mean or disrespectful in any way, but I hope it's a weight suit. That weight cannot be healthful or comfortable. The actress doesn't need to get incredibly thin or anything, but I pray the production isn't encouraging her to keep that amount of weight on, either. On the other hand, when John Goodman lost so much weight for health issues (and good for him), some aspects of his "chunky character actor" shifted. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I was involved with someone at age 25 (he was 37) who, the day the tide turned, said something really nasty about "the problem is you eating it" when I said he was a great chef. I was 5'5 and weighed 103. I think this is a more common gaslighting technique than we know (I didn't lose or gain weight, just left when shown the door). He ended up with a heavyset woman who looked older than her years (he weighed 220 when we were dating) but I just didn't float his boat.

• Love 4

As soon as the trooper told Rebecca and family that there was a motel back down the road, I silently said "No, please don't make it the Pilgrim Rick motel."

I enjoyed Kevin excusing himself from building the puzzle, especially since, ~20 years previously, he said to Randall "You're the only one who's ever going to want to solve this puzzle."

I would also have chuckled if, when Toby handed little Jack the Luke Skywalker figurine, Jack had hurled it across the room, and then cooed when Toby handed him a Darth Vader figurine.  The look on Toby's face would have been priceless.

• LOL 14
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Kate knows that Kevin doesn't have a great history with women.  He & Sophie married young and that didn't last.  We've seen him have several girlfriends where he didn't take care of the relationships that didn't last.  We even saw it with Beth's cousin - he ruined that with his alcoholism and addictive behavior.  Kevin is a complex character, with many good traits as well as destructive ones.  Madison is her best friend, and Kate doesn't want her to be hurt, as that is the pattern with Kevin.  If Kate had to  choose sides, that would be devastating to her.

If I recall correctly, that's not how that relationship ended.  It turned out that Beth's cousin never wanted to have children, but Kevin did, so they broke up because they could never have a future together.

I remember because it's the only time on tv shows that a woman who did not ever want to have children actually stuck to that instead of the writers making her change her mind, or give in to the wannabe father.

• Love 17
10 hours ago, memememe76 said:

It would be interesting how Jack Sr. would have reacted to Marc. Jack grew up in an abusive home, but he never shared that to his family, even Rebecca. Kate could have learned some lessons had he been willing to share more about his childhood. 

Replying to my own post, but I totally forgot that Miguel, Jack’s best friend and coworker, would have extensive experience in constructing houses. He could help Kevin. Among the 3, Kevin has shown the most animosity towards Miguel. 

• Love 2

@Empress1 Do you have a long-lost gay white boy twin?  Because I might be he.😄

6 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I think it is just another example Rebecca relying more heavily on Randall than Kevin.  If the roles had been reversed, you know she would not have made a detour to pick up Kevin on the way to get Kate.

That is some damn truth right there.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

WIth regards to adult Kate, Toby has been avoiding his family for months under the twin guises of work and Crossfit.  He is working full-time which appears to be more than 40 hours some weeks and also hitting the gym most days.  Crossfit is not a program where you go the gym 3 days a week for an hour.  It is more intense than that.  Putting everything together from previous episodes, there is a very good chance Toby is only at home when Jack is sleeping.  Or to be even more honest, Toby is only home to sleep, shower and change his clothes.  

Kate's "he is the first guy that's ever liked me" is missing the second important part--the first guy that I also like.  

Yes. It's also very typical and common for moms to do this with their first babies. Actually, all kids. Moms do the majority of the emotional labor, typically. Perfect example is that Toby didn't have a clue that Jack had a well check next month. 

Yes, Dads do and can take care of their kids but some (moms too) need some extra reminders and help. She was nervous about leaving Jack as any parent would be. 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

This is interesting to me because MASH was all the rage when I was in middle school (93-96).  Maybe because that was when all the hormones were starting to kick in so crushes were hardcore?  Anyway, in freshman year of high school, I remember MASH being replaced by the True Love test, which is where you write down your and your crushes names, then count up how many letters the two of you have from the word "true", then the number you have from the word "love, and that's your true love percentage (ex. Tim Brown and Anne Lowell would have a 46% chance at true love).  Obviously the best way to tell if you were going to be compatible with someone long term.  LOL.

We did both . I graduated in 01 and we played all throughout jr high and high school. Also, kids still play MASH and use the fortune teller things. MASH is played in 5th grade from what I see. The fortune teller things start in 2nd/3rd. I work in a school. I haven't seen the True Love one come back around yet! 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

As soon as the trooper told Rebecca and family that there was a motel back down the road, I silently said "No, please don't make it the Pilgrim Rick motel."

I enjoyed Kevin excusing himself from building the puzzle, especially since, ~20 years previously, he said to Randall "You're the only one who's ever going to want to solve this puzzle."

I would also have chuckled if, when Toby handed little Jack the Luke Skywalker figurine, Jack had hurled it across the room, and then cooed when Toby handed him a Darth Vader figurine.  The look on Toby's face would have been priceless.

I have to say, the first thing I thought of when the trooper said that, was they would trudge through anyway and catch Kate outside or they'd arrive in morning and things would seem fine. Since they saw it wasn't so fine very quickly and he left so quickly, I can't shake that Kate is pregnant or will see him again. It's abhorrent but does anyone think Mark didn't sleep with Kate? Does anyone think he's a "safe sex" type of guy and didn't shame her in some way maybe told in flashback? I hope I watched too much Law and Order in the past but I can't shake that feeling of doom. I still feel Rebecca's tests earlier (30's?) will be tied into her diagnosis now or maybe that was to just set up something later if they wanted too. 

Edited by debraran
9 hours ago, Ucross said:

I don't want to be mean or disrespectful in any way, but I hope it's a weight suit. That weight cannot be healthful or comfortable. The actress doesn't need to get incredibly thin or anything, but I pray the production isn't encouraging her to keep that amount of weight on, either. On the other hand, when John Goodman lost so much weight for health issues (and good for him), some aspects of his "chunky character actor" shifted. 

While John Goodman was overweight, she is obese.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

What were the writers thinking?  The location of that monstrosity is ridiculous.   Sure, lets put a big ass house on the top of a hill with a cabin below.  The only thing more ridiculous is building a cabin at the bottom of a hill.  I am surprised that cabin hasn't washed away do to heavy rains and melting snows.   And if that hill deteriorates, goodbye big ass house.

I don't know, I thought it fit nicely in the surroundings, from what little I could tell at night. One story, low-slung, not pretentious in my view. A hilltop is a good place to avoid flooding and water in basements, and they would need to follow local rules to get a building permit, so I can buy the location. Did the cabin below look refurbished, with a big deck? That would lend credence to a previous post about Nicky living there. If Kevin doesn't live there full-time, Nicky can keep an eye on the place (though he's got to be in his mid-80s by now), or a caretaker can live in the cabin.

• Love 8

I saw Chrissy Metz performing live on the Oscars, and she’s definitely not wearing a fat suit on the show. She has a great voice, btw.

After seeing future Kevin pull up to that Mansion in the Sticks, my only thought was “Still no flying cars?”  How could the Jetsons have been so wrong?

Edited by Johnny Dollar
  • LOL 10
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

It would have been.  The look on Toby's face when he was trying to find something clean to say to his son about Princess Leia made me gag though.  The pause was way too long, and frankly I am disappointed in Toby for reducing her down to an object in a gold bikini.  Disappointed but not surprised.  

• Love 4

All the talk about Toby's figurines being too small for Baby Jack had me thinking - maybe Dad should get him better sized dolls now that the Force-seed has been planted. And you all know what that means, right? Baby Yoda for the win! Toby's loaded he's got the $350 for the replica! 

Make it so! ahem... showing myself out now.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Ucross said:

I was involved with someone at age 25 (he was 37) who, the day the tide turned, said something really nasty about "the problem is you eating it" when I said he was a great chef. I was 5'5 and weighed 103. I think this is a more common gaslighting technique than we know (I didn't lose or gain weight, just left when shown the door). He ended up with a heavyset woman who looked older than her years (he weighed 220 when we were dating) but I just didn't float his boat.

He needed a heavyset woman so he would have a better victim for his need to weight shame, you just didn't fill the bill.  I got weight shaming at 5'5" 108 lbs from a boyfriend who, later on, only dated really skinny women who looked like wiry teenage boys.  I went hmmm.

• Love 5

I also said ooh la la to older Kevin, even though present day age Kevin is much closer to my age (only a few years older).

I do think they are a little wonky with the aging thing, mom to teens Rebecca with lighter longer hair looks younger than mom to tweens Rebecca with darker hair.

anyway though, I love this show, I get all the feels.  I loved Toby falling in love with his son.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, cameron said:

While John Goodman was overweight, she is obese.

John Goodman's BMI at his heaviest was almost certainly considered obese.  He might still be, in fact (you'd be shocked how low that threshold is). Unless you are Chrissy Metz's doctor, you have no idea what her health issues may or may not be, and it is inappropriate and rude to speculate such things on a TV chat board.

• Love 15

Guess I'm in a minority regarding the cabin scene when the posse arrives.  I was expecting something really big to happen...like Marc leaving Kate locked out and the posse finds her curled up next to the door almost frozen to death.  Rebecca uses her key to get in and they find Marc asleep.  The boys drag him out bed, dump him (in his underwear only) and his stuff in his car and tell him if ever comes near Kate again they will kill him.  Now that's drama!! LOL

Edited by Evagirl
correct name to make sense
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, debraran said:

I have to say, the first thing I thought of when the trooper said that, was they would trudge through anyway and catch Kate outside or they'd arrive in morning and things would seem fine. Since they saw it wasn't so fine very quickly and he left so quickly, I can't shake that Kate is pregnant or will see him again. It's abhorrent but does anyone think Mark didn't sleep with Kate? Does anyone think he's a "safe sex" type of guy and didn't shame her in some way maybe told in flashback? I hope I watched too much Law and Order in the past but I can't shake that feeling of doom. I still feel Rebecca's tests earlier (30's?) will be tied into her diagnosis now or maybe that was to just set up something later if they wanted too. 

I don't think this is the last we will see of Marc.  We saw Rebecca kick Marc out, not Kate.  Until I see Kate kick Marc to the curb, I will assume she and him are still together.  

When it comes to teenage Big 3 and sex, I don't think the writers have explicitly stated whether any of them has done it yet.  Kevin and Sophie are heavily implied with them being married, but the show has danced around this issue.  I personally don't want a very special episode of Kate losing her virginity to Marc or Beth and Randall's first time, but I am not sure what the writers want us to think about this issue.  I am fine with writers planting seeds and expecting the audience to connect the dots, but I will not automatically assume all teen characters are having sex just because they are dating.  Life is more complicated than that.  I will say that Kate being Pregnant in 1999 is not outside the realm of possibility given what we have been shown.  Unless we get a scene of Rebecca and Kate going to the OB's office to get a prescription for birth control, I will assume she is not on it.  The power dynamic of Kate and Marc does not make me very confident that Kate would insist upon condoms.  

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

Guess I'm in a minority regarding the cabin scene when the posse arrives.  I was expecting something really big to happen...like Marc leaving Kate locked out and the posse finds her curled up next to the door almost frozen to death.  Kate uses her key to get in and they find Marc asleep.  The boys drag him out bed, dump him (in his underwear only) and his stuff in his car and tell him if ever comes near Kate again they will kill him.  Now that's drama!! LOL

While that scenario might be a bit much (and poor, freezing Kate), I am a little surprised we didn't get to see what happened after Kate broke the window and got back in. By the next morning, he's making pancakes and she's covering up her wound (and had swept up the glass, that Randall is SO observant) and seems to be fine with him. How did that scene go? When did she forgive him (or convince herself to ignore it)? Also, because she had decided to be "ok" with what had happened, why didn't she fight more when Rebecca kicked him out?

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, lovett1979 said:

While that scenario might be a bit much (and poor, freezing Kate),

Yeah but, if him leaving her stranded on a deserted road in the dead of winter in the middle of the night didn't convince her he was no good, then locking her out shouldn't have come as a surprise especially after she asked him to be careful with Jack's mug and the a-hole broke it on purpose.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, izabella said:

If I recall correctly, that's not how that relationship ended.  It turned out that Beth's cousin never wanted to have children, but Kevin did, so they broke up because they could never have a future together.

Yes, you're right.  It was the episode where baby Jack was born, and they were all at the hospital.  Kevin was (not-so) secretly drinking, but Zoe was still with him, that I was thinking of.  A couple of episodes later, Zoe realized that Kevin was serious about having a child or children, and she wasn't, and completely broke it off.

• Love 4

I still believe that Kevin's fiance will be Deja's mom and this is the reason they are angry with each other. Madison is stupid, I don't see Kevin having a kid with her.

I wish we had seen more of Kate talking to her brothers about her problems which I think are the most serious right now.

13 hours ago, Ucross said:

I hope not either.  I think she is so flat out gorgeous.  I would love to see her at a healthy weight --- doesn't have to be skinny, just healthy -- because she is too gorgeous, too talented to lose.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

hope not either.  I think she is so flat out gorgeous.  I would love to see her at a healthy weight --- doesn't have to be skinny, just healthy -- because she is too gorgeous, too talented to lose.

I don't think it's a fat suit.  I've seen her in a couple of movies and she looks the same.  When the guy who plays Toby lost weight, you could tell it was a fat suit because he lost weight in the face as well.  She is beautiful.  She has small limbs.  almost all of her fat is concentrated in the middle, which is not good.  

I don't think the producers are encouraging her to stay heavy. I remember reading when the show first started that they would write in whatever Chrissy chose to do.

Melissa McCarthy looks great with her weight lost.  Unfortunately instead of the writers writing her weight loss into the show, they chose to cancel it.

I

• Useful 1
On 2/19/2020 at 10:15 AM, tvisme said:

Old Kevin looked like the Trivago guy.

I've always thought the Trivago guy looks like George Clooney and Brad Pitt had a baby.

I could see my husband doing the juggling of the mug thing. I could feel Kate's anxiety as he did that. My husband wouldn't intentionally break it, or lock me out, but I got a glimpse of how much of a jerk he can be right then. I really wish Rebecca had let the boys punch Marc's lights out 😞

• Love 3

6 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

He needed a heavyset woman so he would have a better victim for his need to weight shame, you just didn't fill the bill.  I got weight shaming at 5'5" 108 lbs from a boyfriend who, later on, only dated really skinny women who looked like wiry teenage boys.  I went hmmm.

Wait, 5'5" and 108 isn't skinny enough?  That's size 0, maybe 00 (saying this as a 5'2", 95 lb woman who is 0/00).  

• Love 2

I was in tears when they found the tape, and it reminded me that my brother still has a tape with the voice of our father, so I was especially emotional about it.

TV never makes me cry but, I have to say, this got me.  I have no audio record of my dad's voice and I have lost all memory of how he sounded.  The thought of having audio of a beloved father's voice just caused me to lose it.  Always, always have some sort of record of the older folks in your life.  

I can remember a time when a child of mine choked on a bit of food and it's terrifying.  I did cringe when Toby let the baby play with Star Wars figures, even though the bonding scene was very touching.  I suppose Kate will lose her mind when Toby tells her about it.

Kevin was my least favorite of the Big 3 for the first season but has quickly become my favorite.  He's good-looking, funny and growing in maturity (except for his apparent need to bed the first female he meets after some emotional upset).  He probably needs to end up with Sophie as they seem to be soulmates.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Ucross said:

4 hours ago, sasha206 said:

I hope not either.  I think she is so flat out gorgeous.  I would love to see her at a healthy weight --- doesn't have to be skinny, just healthy -- because she is too gorgeous, too talented to lose.

Surely this is going to be flagged as "off topic" but Chrissy Metz is most definitely padded in the current season. Here are two pictures to show her weight loss (I know it's hard to tell with no one else in the photos, but compare the size of her head to her shoulders to get perspective of the massive change). I saw her at the Oscars and honestly assume she had to be padded for that performance to keep the big reveal exclusive to This Is Us. Black Dress and Beetlejuice were both pictures in the last 4 months.  

Pink Dress and Blue Dress were 2017. 

compare1.jpg

compare2.jpg

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't think this is the last we will see of Marc.  We saw Rebecca kick Marc out, not Kate.  Until I see Kate kick Marc to the curb, I will assume she and him are still together.  

When it comes to teenage Big 3 and sex, I don't think the writers have explicitly stated whether any of them has done it yet.  

No, they specified that Kevin and Sophie had been having sex in their teens in the first season.  Kate accidentally outed them, to which Kevin replied "You are officially de-twinned", and then Rebecca and Jack went to the basement to talk to him about it, and they have no clue what to say.  Randall comes down having a panic attack, and Jack immediately stops to calm him, and Kevin kind of looks at them like "really?  you can't even yell at me without putting Randall first?".

• Love 6

I don't have much of a problem with Kevin and Beth looking basically the same, facially-speaking, in the flash-forward. But it's kind of hilarious when you consider that they made Randall look like he's well into his sixties.

I feel like Madison's "Let's tell Kate we're falling in love" gag is a tired trope I've seen in a million comedies - woman has one-night-stand with guy, then freaks him out by acting like she expects a commitment, then reveals that she's joking, thus revealing how cool she is about the whole thing.

Four Weddings and a Funeral comes to mind, but that's hardly the only example. Not exactly the freshest material.

• Love 6

On 2/19/2020 at 4:13 PM, Ucross said:

I thought exactly the same. Although the temperature might have provoked the gag reflex. In any case, I think the point was to show that Toby was not qualified to be left alone with Jack.

Okay the suggestion that the eggs were too hot is a good explanation.  All I was thinking was can a baby choke on scrambled eggs? It seemed unlikely. 

• Love 1

I thought they made Kevin too old looking to be only 55 (if they are only 15 years in the future-who knows). I know a lot of men in that age range who look younger than that and especially for Kevin because his career depends on his appearance. He looks great just older than 55 to me. The lines around his eyes and on his face stood out.

13 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

When it comes to teenage Big 3 and sex, I don't think the writers have explicitly stated whether any of them has done it yet.  Kevin and Sophie are heavily implied with them being married, but the show has danced around this issue.  I personally don't want a very special episode of Kate losing her virginity to Marc or Beth and Randall's first time, but I am not sure what the writers want us to think about this issue.  I am fine with writers planting seeds and expecting the audience to connect the dots, but I will not automatically assume all teen characters are having sex just because they are dating.  Life is more complicated than that.  I will say that Kate being Pregnant in 1999 is not outside the realm of possibility given what we have been shown.  Unless we get a scene of Rebecca and Kate going to the OB's office to get a prescription for birth control, I will assume she is not on it.  The power dynamic of Kate and Marc does not make me very confident that Kate would insist upon condoms.  

Kevin and Sophie were sleeping together when they were still in high school. Rebecca overheard the Big Three talking as teenagers and Kate was telling Randall to ignore Kevin teasing him, as Kev only thought he was so grown up because was having sex. Rebecca revealed she'd been standing there and had overheard the conversation, leading Kevin to proclaim Kate disowned and "de-twinned". I have doubts Randall got anywhere close to having sex with the girl he was dating in high school. I wonder if Beth is the only woman Randall has ever been with? 

I have a feeling that Kevin's child at the house is not the one in utero on the Big Three's 40th birthday, but a younger sibling.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Yes, you're right.  It was the episode where baby Jack was born, and they were all at the hospital.  Kevin was (not-so) secretly drinking, but Zoe was still with him, that I was thinking of.  A couple of episodes later, Zoe realized that Kevin was serious about having a child or children, and she wasn't, and completely broke it off.

which confirms my sense that Kevin forgot about Zoe when he said he had never been dumped.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, PRgal said:

Wait, 5'5" and 108 isn't skinny enough?  That's size 0, maybe 00 (saying this as a 5'2", 95 lb woman who is 0/00).  

[ I weigh much more than that now. ] He didn't like any hint of softness at all.  I don't think he really liked women.  Point being, I think Mark is the same type, a guy who likes to hurt women and knows weight remarks are an easy way to do that, no matter what size she is.

I feel like Madison's "Let's tell Kate we're falling in love" gag is a tired trope I've seen in a million comedies - woman has one-night-stand with guy, then freaks him out by acting like she expects a commitment, then reveals that she's joking, thus revealing how cool she is about the whole thing.o it no matter what size the woman is.

I cringed over that.  I don't think many women are really that cool and certainly not Madison who has self-esteem issues.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I cringed over that.  I don't think many women are really that cool and certainly not Madison who has self-esteem issues.

I cringed when she said something like we haven't even had a date yet. Like she is expecting that, and then she calls Kate and blabs. I think some awkward times are ahead. Kevin didn't seem too interested in pursuing a next meeting, he was outta there.

• Love 3

I actually liked Madison joking about telling Kate that they are falling in love. Kevin goes so fast and over the top when he's wooing women that I liked that he felt what that was like even if it was only for a couple of seconds. He deserved that small taste of his own medicine.

• Love 9