Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: The Cabin

• Start Topic

On 2/20/2020 at 4:50 AM, cameron said:

While John Goodman was overweight, she is obese.

You are right. The actres's degree of obesity is pretty -- it must be so difficult to do daily activities like getting dressed or showering, or even the effort required to get out of a chair or bed. The amount of food consumed to be that heavy also requires so much effort, so the emotional and mental challenges must be staggering for her to do that to herself. There is a new TLC show called Hot n' Heavy that features enormous women and the thin men who are attracted to them. I would assume it might go the other way, but maybe for different reasons. I assume this actress is content with her weight and eating habits, it doesn't affect me, so more power to her if this is her lifestyle.

• Love 1

I absolutely loved this episode. Anytime the Big 3 gets together, it's must-see TV for me.

I'm glad they brought closure to the Kate/creepy asshole boyfriend storyline and I have to say that I loved Kevin immediately wanting to kick douchey mustache face's ass. And Randall, pausing to gulp, and then wanting to join in.

I was also pleased to see Toby and little Jack bonding and OMG when Jack was choking. I can't even imagine the terror you would feel but having to be calm in the moment and then the relief.

LOL at the puzzle because OF COURSE Jack would turn a picture of his family into a puzzle. Loved younger Kevin putting that last piece in Randall's bag for the time capsule and telling him everyone would be so excited to find it later. The siblings gathering around the fire to look at the items just made me so happy to watch. But wistful as I wish I had that with my siblings. I know, I know, it's a TV show but I know that kind of connection exists in real life.

The TAPE...OMG, the chills I got when it started playing and Jack's voice was there. What an unknowing gift from him and Rebecca.

Kevin building the house that Jack designed and now we know it's that house that older Rebecca is at in the flash forward.

Still hoping that Madison isn't the baby mama/fiance. The writers continue to mess with us by having that picture of young Sophie/Kevin in Kevin's time capsule bag.

Because it cannot be stated enough: present-day Kevin is fine as hell, but future Kevin?

I would climb that silver fox like a tree.

f8f5e0385e72111c1536fce2796718f3aa393a97

Finally, "To Build a Home" was the song playing during the flash forward as Kevin arrives at the new cabin he built, but it was not the first time we've heard it.

We first heard it when the Pearson family home caught on fire.

Feel free to cry now.

Edited by CountryGirl
  • Love 13

I am still chuckling at two moments towards the end of the show with the adult Big 3:

1. Kate: "Where's dad's eye?" (Randall slowly gets a smile on his face)

2. Kate & Randall walking outside with a shovel/pickax, heading towards Kevin. Kevin: "Are you two coming to kill me?"

Cracks me up. 

• Love 12

First, older Kevin...Damn! We need a lot more of older Kevin. lol

Interesting that older Kevin builds his house in the Pennsylvania. So he's moved from LA? That house could have fit on a hillside of Malibu. He's not using it as a vacation home it seems like since they call it "Kevin's house" and his son is around. I guess no wife either. He comes home alone and Randall never asked "where's your mom" to Kevin's future son.

Toby letting Jack play with other little toys with the choking seemed like another incident waiting to happen. I'm glad he's bonding now.

Loved Kevin's crack on them coming to kill him, I thought he'd be more mad and last longer. For them to not talk in the future. I'm hoping this rift is very short.  Love the big 3 always together. 

2 brothers coming together to get Kate's boyfriend was awesome. Loved how Randall saw all the signs and put the pieces together. 

• Love 8
On 2/19/2020 at 7:40 AM, peace355 said:

The last 4 episodes have been very solid.

I wondered if Randall and Kevin's falling out is going to be over Kevin wanting to build the house and part of Randall's issues to control everything!

That small bit of soft egg seemed unlikely to cause a choking incident, but maybe I'm just lucky that my daughter never had such issues with her food! (I still cut up grapes for her, she's 3 and always remember nurse saying that's the most common and dangerous choking food)

Kevin can't afford that between now and the summer. I think re the writers also, it is over Rebecca's care. One writer said something like this "we hold things in, think it's gone and then it bubbles up"  It might be Kevin feels it's okay and then it isn't.

2 hours ago, tvmom said:

Is Sophie living in Pennsylvania? Maybe Kevin built the house in PA because he and Sophie end up together, and that's where they’re based.  

I think he built it there because that's where Jack wanted to build it. It wasn't just the house design, it was the property/location as well.

• Love 11

Oh Kevin just breaks my heart; he is such a sweet guy.  The conversation with him and Kate over the VMs from Madison was hilarious.  
“oh there’s a third one!”

”I should get credit for not sleeping with Sophie”

his delivery was so funny!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Artsda said:

First, older Kevin...Damn! We need a lot more of older Kevin. lol

Interesting that older Kevin builds his house in the Pennsylvania. So he's moved from LA? That house could have fit on a hillside of Malibu. He's not using it as a vacation home it seems like since they call it "Kevin's house" and his son is around. I guess no wife either. He comes home alone and Randall never asked "where's your mom" to Kevin's future son.

Toby letting Jack play with other little toys with the choking seemed like another incident waiting to happen. I'm glad he's bonding now.

Loved Kevin's crack on them coming to kill him, I thought he'd be more mad and last longer. For them to not talk in the future. I'm hoping this rift is very short.  Love the big 3 always together. 

2 brothers coming together to get Kate's boyfriend was awesome. Loved how Randall saw all the signs and put the pieces together. 

Maybe he’s no longer in LA.  He’s an actor.  He really only needs to be out there if he’s shooting there.  And if he’s only doing movies or if he’s on a show shot in the east coast, he doesn’t have to be there all the time.  

• Love 2
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I think he built it there because that's where Jack wanted to build it. It wasn't just the house design, it was the property/location as well.

Yes, it wasn't just the idea, Jack had a place for it. I don't think Jack's would have been as fancy, he never would have had Kevin's money, maybe more "homey" but still very nice.  If it wasn't up from the cabin where Jack showed Rebecca, it wouldn't be the same.

• Love 5
On 2/18/2020 at 9:15 PM, movingtargetgal said:

I have tried to download the video to my computer but I can't.  I tried to contact the person who posted the video by he has passed away.  Does anyone have any ideas on how I can preserve this video?  

https://bitdownloader.com/en1 Try this? No need to download an app or anything. You need the link from youtube and it should download. I hope you find a way to preserve it. I would love to hear my father's voice again. 

• Love 1

OMG that final scene of them listening to Jack’s tape? I IMMEDIATELY started blubbering like a fool. My dad is gone 25 years and I would give absolutely anything to hear his voice again. 😰

Agree with everyone else about how insanely hot future Kevin looks. My only quibble is if this is ‘only’ 15 years in the future he shouldn’t be that gray. 55 is NOT old! And certainly not old enough to have that level of gray in his hair or the onset of wrinkles. 65 maybe. Definitely not 55. 

• Love 7

I found this episode tremendously underwhelming and anticlimactic. It still feels like filler to me. The Marc stuff doesn't feel like a slow build to me. It feels draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn out. I mean, I get it. Yes, he is psychologically abusive. I expected that from the moment the character was introduced. So what all have they done here? Confirmed it? It was already confirmed earlier. Are we supposed to be watching a slow descent with Kate into this completely controlling bad relationship? Saw it. Established. It's done. They're not telling me anything new. If after all the adverts for this episode and the previous one they're still not There Yet to wherever There is that this Marc plot is supposed to be headed, I no longer want to go. I am exceptionally bored by this storyline. I think the writers think this is a build up but they've already extended it too long. I don't mean to downplay the seriousness and trauma of what they showed Kate experiencing here as an 18-year old. It's serious. Girl has trauma. But I knew that already. I did not need these extra details. They already suggested something like this was going on in general in that relationship. I did not need text for this subtext. So unless something big and major and unexpected happened that they have not shown yet, this is all redundant and boring, and I'd argue, even if something big and major and unexpected is about to happen, this was still redundant and boring because I didn't need this part filled in for me for Whatever It Is. I thought this episode would be the Whatever It Is and if it wasn't, they're just toying with us.

Whoop dee doo, Kevin's house is in rural PA and not LA. OK that's some new info, but why does it matter again? Show needs to stop being so enamored of its twists and get to some actual story here.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Sake614 said:

OMG that final scene of them listening to Jack’s tape? I IMMEDIATELY started blubbering like a fool. My dad is gone 25 years and I would give absolutely anything to hear his voice again. 😰

Agree with everyone else about how insanely hot future Kevin looks. My only quibble is if this is ‘only’ 15 years in the future he shouldn’t be that gray. 55 is NOT old! And certainly not old enough to have that level of gray in his hair or the onset of wrinkles. 65 maybe. Definitely not 55. 

George Clooney has grey hair and has had it for years - even when he was still on ER.  They were trying to make Kevin Clooney-esque.  Mmmmmm....George Clooney......

• Love 8
3 hours ago, PRgal said:

George Clooney has grey hair and has had it for years - even when he was still on ER.  They were trying to make Kevin Clooney-esque.  Mmmmmm....George Clooney......

It’s harder of course to do a salt and pepper look with a non brunette.  So they went with the all over grey.

Has anyone put Justin’s picture in that app that ages you?  It would be interesting to see if matches what the show came up with. I wish I could but I’m not too tech savvy.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Sake614 said:

My dad is 55 and didn't have a single grey hair in his 30s or 40s. But once the 50s hit it came quickly. Even my blonde mother started showing greys around her 50th birthday. Keep in mind, Kevin has at least one kid at this point, and kids can really up the aging process (my step dad blames me for every grey hair of his as he joined our family when I was at my most insufferable). 

Did we ever get a clear answer of how far in the future this is? Tess is currently 12, and the flashforward has Tess as a seemingly seasoned social worker. I don't see her being much less than 30 (27 seems like a stretch). The actress Iantha Richardson is 29, so what do I know. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

My dad is 55 and didn't have a single grey hair in his 30s or 40s. But once the 50s hit it came quickly. Even my blonde mother started showing greys around her 50th birthday. Keep in mind, Kevin has at least one kid at this point, and kids can really up the aging process (my step dad blames me for every grey hair of his as he joined our family when I was at my most insufferable). 

Did we ever get a clear answer of how far in the future this is? Tess is currently 12, and the flashforward has Tess as a seemingly seasoned social worker. I don't see her being much less than 30 (27 seems like a stretch). The actress Iantha Richardson is 29, so what do I know. 

This regarding Tess.  Especially for a job that typically requires a master’s.  I get that Randall being a councilman and probably a very influential one helps, but still.  She was no intern.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

This regarding Tess.  Especially for a job that typically requires a master’s.  I get that Randall being a councilman and probably a very influential one helps, but still.  She was no intern.  

Plenty of people get their master's in their early 20s (I got mine at 23).

On 2/23/2020 at 7:35 AM, Sake614 said:

It really varies from person to person. My brother in law started going grey in his late 20s but because he was blonde, it wasn't really noticeable for the first few years. I know another guy who was completely grey/white haired when I met him at the age of 40 (and now I kind of want to ask him when he started going grey).

On the other end of the spectrum, my dad was 65 when he died and he didn't have any grey hair. Now that I think about it, his dad didn't have grey hair either and he was 80 when he died. I really hope I got the hair genes from their side of the family.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

Plenty of people get their master's in their early 20s (I got mine at 23).

So did I (okay, I was 24), but Tess seemed like she was working in the field for at least a couple of years.  Getting a master’s at 23 or 24 requires full time study.  Even grads who’ve had field placements during breaks wouldn’t be as seasoned.  

Edited by PRgal

I'm sure I'm not the first to comment on this but geesh, clearly Toby has learned nothing from the choking incident. I cringed during that whole scene when Toby has Jack on his lap after returning from the doctor. He's sitting in front of a table full of casually laid out legit hazardous choking objects! The toy Star Wars figurines and small marble (?) tiles are all potentially lethal for that baby - I mean, seriously writers??! You would think a parent would be hyper vigilant after going through that choking trauma - not go home and hand their baby an R2D2 mini figure that is the perfect size to get stuck in their windpipe. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Just watched this now, and I will just say wow! Still soaking it in, and now I will read all of your eloquent posts. But, wow. 

Yes, I'm handing you a Kleenex....some powerful emotions in this episode

• Love 1
12 hours ago, yellowcalla said:

I'm sure I'm not the first to comment on this but geesh, clearly Toby has learned nothing from the choking incident. I cringed during that whole scene when Toby has Jack on his lap after returning from the doctor. He's sitting in front of a table full of casually laid out legit hazardous choking objects! The toy Star Wars figurines and small marble (?) tiles are all potentially lethal for that baby - I mean, seriously writers??! You would think a parent would be hyper vigilant after going through that choking trauma - not go home and hand their baby an R2D2 mini figure that is the perfect size to get stuck in their windpipe. 

The writers commented on that, they said "disclaimer" don't do this without supervision but yes they did get feedback about it. One thing you have to say about TIU viewers, they are vocal! : )

• Love 1

I found this episode tremendously underwhelming and anticlimactic.

Yep. A snooze. Glad to find someone else who felt this way.

20 hours ago, PRgal said:

Getting a master’s at 23 or 24 requires full time study.

Everyone I knew who did it went to school at night.

On 2/23/2020 at 10:35 AM, Sake614 said:

My only quibble is if this is ‘only’ 15 years in the future he shouldn’t be that gray. 55 is NOT old!

Am I the only one on this forum in their 50s? Definitely have friends completely grey (I've lucked out with only a few white strands, but I'm definitely the exception.)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, smartymarty said:

Am I the only one on this forum in their 50s? Definitely have friends completely grey (I've lucked out with only a few white strands, but I'm definitely the exception.)

No, you're not. I'm 53 and sporting a head of salt-and-pepper hair, as are most of my friends who have chosen to go with their natural hair color. 🙂

• Love 3

55 here! I stopped coloring my hair a year ago. It is definitely more grey than dark blonde. My 59 year old husband has no grey at all except by the temples. His mother and her mother also have/had very little grey. You never know where you are going to fall in the genetic lottery.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, smartymarty said:

Am I the only one on this forum in their 50s?

I'll be 60 this year and absolutely no gray. My dad was 73 when he died, and was just starting to get some gray. My brothers are 8 and 10 years older than me, and neither of them has gray. Very few of my friends do either and certainly no one has lines on their face unless they're smokers. 

Again, I think he looked FINE, but definitely older than early to mid-50s.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, PRgal said:

So did I (okay, I was 24), but Tess seemed like she was working in the field for at least a couple of years.  Getting a master’s at 23 or 24 requires full time study.  Even grads who’ve had field placements during breaks wouldn’t be as seasoned.  

Tess's birthday is on Halloween 2008 (during the Obama campaign.  Of course, the writers could have aged her a few years since the actress is ~14/15 rather than 11/12).  Unless she skips a grade/does enough APs to skip her first year of undergrad, she would still be 21 when she graduates (assuming cutoff in Pennsylvania is after early/mid-September).  A master's is two years.  Even if she went to school at night, she would STILL not be extremely experienced enough.  She would just be out of her master's program.  Regardless of whether she was working full or part time.  Of course, having a dad in office, you DO get a legs up.  I'm just talking about it from a realistic POV.  Writers for this show are known to NOT research fully/take a lot of artistic licence (see Pittsburgh weather a la TIU vs REAL Pittsburgh weather).

Re: salt and pepper hair at 50-something:  Some people go grey early, others later and yet others, not at all.  Women on my mom's side, for example don't.  My great-grandmother apparently didn't get a single strand of grey until she was in her 90s, and it was like a month before she passed!!!  My dad's side?  50-something sounds about right.

• Love 2

Regarding gray hair - it seems that beards seem to have more gray than head-hair for some reason.  Most guys I know in their 50s, 60s and up who have beards have much more gray in their beards than on top of their heads.

In any event, I thought Kevin looked absolutely smashing and he totally rocked that gray look.  He has a long and pointy nose, but that's only from the side profile.  Wish that was my only facial flaw!

• Love 2
On 2/24/2020 at 4:38 PM, yellowcalla said:

I'm sure I'm not the first to comment on this but geesh, clearly Toby has learned nothing from the choking incident. I cringed during that whole scene when Toby has Jack on his lap after returning from the doctor. He's sitting in front of a table full of casually laid out legit hazardous choking objects!

About the whole choking thing - I'm thinking that it will be another point of contention between Kate and Toby. Not because it actually happened and Toby handled it quite well. But that Toby probably won't tell Kate about it because these 2 NEVER talk about anything. I mean anything. The pediatrician said to Toby and little Jack that she'd see him in a week or so for vaccines. I bet you Kate takes Jack to that appointment, the doctor rightfully asks her how he's doing and what a scare that was, and Kate will have a blank look on her face because Toby won't have told her. Chaos ensues. 

• Love 5
On 2/23/2020 at 10:57 AM, theatremouse said:

Whoop dee doo, Kevin's house is in rural PA and not LA. OK that's some new info, but why does it matter again? Show needs to stop being so enamored of its twists and get to some actual story here.

I think the writers sit around week by week and dream up new plot twists (for ratings). Remember when  we used to get the order to cry each week? ....when and how much. I don't think there's any long-term plan. 

St Jack's drawing of the future cabin looked like it was thought out/sketched by someone in 5th grade. And maybe I dozed off, but I thought it belonged to Randall.

The Mark character was so ridiculous that I almost started to root for him.

• Love 1
On 2/19/2020 at 9:17 AM, icemiser69 said:

Kate has had weight issues long before she got involved with Mark.  I won't put that on him. There are a lot of reasons to not like the guy, but Kate's weight gain isn't one of them.

Kevin wanting to beat the crap out of Mark wasn't helpful either.

Rebecca deserves a lot of credit for keeping her cool given all that went on at the cabin.  She had to keep her sons under control, try not to upset Kate anymore than she already was, and also get Mark to leave.

I don't know why Kate would care that Kevin and Madison had slept together.  They are adults, they can do what they want.

I agree with the points of your post, but Kate was blindsided by the revelation and has to deal with any aftereffects if the relationship goes south.  She might not care because adults can do as they please, well, single unattached ones anyway, but she'll be caught in the middle.  Kate knows Kevin's track record.

Funny how after Kate and Madison became friends that Kate didn't tell Kevin, "Hey, have I got a girl for you!"  Remember how Beth warned Kevin about Zoe?  Maybe Kate doesn't see Kevin and Madison as a good match.  Otherwise, I see your point of "hey, we're all adults here, we'll deal."  But, you know, drahma!

Edited by CrystalBlue
On 2/23/2020 at 10:35 AM, Sake614 said:

I am about that age (a female) and although everyone ages differently, I think that is a pretty accurate representation of a 55 year old man.  An exceptionally hot 55 year old man.

• Love 2

This is from awhile back, but graduated high school in ‘86 and played MASH and True Love throughout middle school.  For MASH, we never picked a number at random.  You drew a box and then drew a spiral from the center till a line touched part of the box.  Then draw a line through the spiral and count how many times the line touched part of the spiral.  That’s your number.  Also, for True Love add the middle names if you want to increase your score.  Then afterwards you cross out all letters in common and then count each person’s remaining letters in a “Love, hate, marriage, friendship” round to know if you match up.  We took these games seriously!

I like having the big three together and wish they could do more of it.  Maybe as Rebecca’s condition worsens we will see more scenes.

On 2/19/2020 at 12:58 PM, deaja said:

I loved how Randall was looking to Kevin for like "Hey, do we kill Mark now?" cues.  I did wish that they had roughed him up a bit. I'm not one for violence usually, but he definitely deserved it.

Just watched this episode last night. What an episode. I loved it. I gushed tears. and I had thoughts similar to the above. I'm definitely anti-violence. But part of me wanted them to pummel him. I loved how the scene played out. Brothers had a very normal sibling reaction but Rebecca held it together and so sternly told him to leave. Really well done.

I loved the "are you coming to kill me part?" Kevin always makes me laugh. I also liked how it was Kevin to come up with the puzzle piece idea and help Randall. Young Kevin sometimes would just tell Randall he's an idiot; this time he was helpful (like the time R had the panic attack at school). 

I also liked adult Randall calling who was the only dork to put his name on his. 

• Love 1