Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Wow, I wish I could watch the show given so many of the TSs here are my favorite things ... Father Brown, Yellowstone (I heart Kevin Costner and the place), Brawny (towels?) and Joseph Conrad ... Heart of Darkness? I did a college paper on that book! (The Daily Motion link locks up every time, can't make it through the first few minutes.)

Actually the Conrad novel in this clue was Nostromo.  I still knew it, though.  I took a class in college specifically on Joseph Conrad.  Just try to stump me! 😀

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

My first thought was Steinbeck for Grapes of Wrath, but I thought 1952 was too late for that book. So I went elsewhere. Close, but close, as my grey-haired father used to say, only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

@saber5055, are you going back to your pre- Halloween avatar? Your current one is freaking me out!

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Wow, I wish I could watch the show given so many of the TSs here are my favorite things ... Father Brown, Yellowstone (I heart Kevin Costner and the place), Brawny (towels?) and Joseph Conrad ... Heart of Darkness? I did a college paper on that book! (The Daily Motion link locks up every time, can't make it through the first few minutes.)

The clue was about Nostromo. I actually liked Heart of Darkness!

ETA: what @MrAtoz said 😉

Edited by Fex
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

, are you going back to your pre- Halloween avatar? Your current one is freaking me out!

LOL! I'm here now to change it back. It was a one-day thing. You did make me laugh though, that it was freaking you out. Mission accomplished! (That plus Halloween is over.)

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Still can't see the real show.

Sabre, when was the last time you scanned? I scanned Oct 18 (when you were supposed to) and lost 11.1, 11.2 (WTTW & WTTW prime), and 22.5 (Comet) on the upstairs TV and just Comet on the downstairs one. On Oct 28, 9.3 (THIS) switched to Court TV (even though it was supposed to much earlier), so I rescanned both sets and started getting the missing stations (11.1, 11.2, 22.5, plus the new home for THIS 22.3) on both sets. If you lost your stations due to the "digital frequency change", try scanning yet again.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Sabre, when was the last time you scanned?

Thanks @illdoc. I just rescanned and no luck, I still only have ABC (four channels) and Fox (two channels). If I can muster the energy, I might try dusting off an old tiny portable tv that needs a box (I have one) in another room to see if that will at least get NBC (Jeopardy channel) back. I really would like to see the ToC. Thanks for your suggestion though, much appreciated.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I'm so disappointed in all of you that no one commented on yesterday's FJ, that Steve answered "Camus." Get with it you guys!

😄 I even wondered if Steve chose that answer JUST so Alex could say it. 😄

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Katy M said:

got FJ.  I knew for a fact the book wasn't the Grapes of Wrath, and I thought it might be East of Eden, but I didn't know.  Then again, that wasn't the question, so it didn't matter.

I had no idea.  I said "The guy who wrote the book Chinatown was based on, if there was one?".  When Steinbeck was revealed, it made perfect sense because I knew some of his books were set in the Salinas valley, but I've never read any of them so the included sentence meant nothing to me.

18 hours ago, Bastet said:

Stonewall and Haymarket were surprising TS

I wasn't surprised none of them got Haymarket, because all I could come up with was "Oh, I know this one, Hay-something".  Stonewall was more surprising to me.

I was sad none of them knew Father Brown.  Not that I'm a particular fan of the show (I find it kind of dull), but still.

18 hours ago, Fex said:

I got the missed DD of Captain Nemo (he didn't even guess a name starting with 'N'!!!!) and ts Joseph Conrad. I hated that book so much, and I don't remember a thing about it, but I remembered the author!

I saw a miniseries based on the book, and all I can say, other than it having the delectable Joaquim de Almeida in it, it was . . . um . . . interesting?  And rather strange.  But I remembered the author, so that's something, I guess.

17 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got Yellowstone, Father Brown (I love the show, too, Grundoon59), California, How to Train Your Dragon, and Joseph Conrad

I got all of those, plus Brawny and Robust.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I was sad none of them knew Father Brown.  Not that I'm a particular fan of the show (I find it kind of dull), but still.

I'd never heard of it.  I didn't do well in that category; I don't watch any of the shows, but I'd heard of the first three so I was able to answer those clues.  But then I just stared blankly at the last two - I had no idea Kevin Costner was on a TV show, either (I don't like him, so it's not something I'd seek out, but I'd never even heard about it [which I guess is nice, in that movie stars doing TV is no longer a big deal]).

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

I'd never heard of it.  I didn't do well in that category; I don't watch any of the shows, but I'd heard of the first three so I was able to answer those clues.  But then I just stared blankly at the last two - I had no idea Kevin Costner was on a TV show, either (I don't like him, so it's not something I'd seek out, but I'd never even heard about it [which I guess is nice, in that movie stars doing TV is no longer a big deal]).

British mysteries on MPT are one of my go-to things to watch, so that's how I knew it.  Yellowstone, well, there were sixty billion commercials for it running during something I was watching on Paramount - maybe Mom reruns.  I guess it's one of those easy if you know it things.

• Love 1

Oh, man!  I was just as confident in my answer of "7th Day Adventists" as the contestants were.  I didn't even question it or second-guess myself or any of the usual things, I was so sure it was right.  I was surprised to see that I was so very wrong, but not surprised to see that the contestants had the same response.

I did at least get Bamboo Curtain, shiitake, and Alaska.

End girl, Jennifer, reminded me a lot of Sarah Paulson, but her vocal fry was killing me.

• Love 1

For FJ, I knew the denomination they were asking for but couldn't pull the name out of my brain. All I could think of was what my mother called them - "Holy rollers". I don't think that would have been ruled correct. 😉

• LOL 7

I've watched both seasons of Yellowstone.  It's a lot darker than I expected, but I liked it. A lot of unlikable characters are in it, and a lot of deaths & murders happen.

Don't know how much of ToC I'll watch.  I'm a bit lukewarm right now.

• Love 1

I was visiting my parents and we watched the episode together. They both immediately and confidently said 7th Day Adventists, so I didn't even have a chance to think about the clue and just assumed they were right. Everyone was surprised to find out that was wrong!

• Love 1

I was puzzled that Andrew said "What are logs?" for the Lincoln logs clue. He knew a president was in the name, so... :shrug:

Instead of bamboo curtain I said bronze curtain. Doh. 

I nearly came up with shiitake, in a way. I mean, I got as far as "shhhhh…"

I think I got one TS: diaspora. Alex said "exile... or diaspora," so I guess I got it.

For FJ I said Episcopalian. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

I've watched both seasons of Yellowstone.  It's a lot darker than I expected, but I liked it.

I really want to see it. Seeing Kevin Costner on a horse can keep me happy for days.

50 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I was puzzled that Andrew said "What are logs?" for the Lincoln logs clue. He knew a president was in the name, so... :shrug:

Weren't we discussing Lincoln Logs here, that they are plastic now and not wooden? Andrew should have been reading this thread.

50 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

That's the one I was positive it was not, said the kid raised Episcopalian.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Weren't we discussing Lincoln Logs here, that they are plastic now and not wooden? Andrew should have been reading this thread.

What?!? Plastic Lincoln logs?!? That makes me sad. My brother still has the “real” ones we played with 45 years ago. Good memories!

• Love 6

My I'm doomed eye roll upon reading the FJ category could be seen from space.  I did figure Seventh Day Adventist was an obvious but wrong guess, because "day" in the clue would make it too easy if that was it, so I readily ruled out my first thought, but I never had another one.

I'm pretty surprised shiitake was a TS, between "Japanese" in the clue and a picture (which I couldn't see, as I was reading the archive [I still got all the mushrooms just based on the text]) and that Alaska was a TS; when there's no country before state in a J! clue, it means a U.S. state, and I'd have thought "above-average amount of sunlight" would have taken at least one contestant to the state where it's daylight for months in places.  I'm also surprised pneumonia took three guesses to get to, and a little surprised no one guessed exile for a forced departure.

But none of the other TS raised my eyebrow, and I correctly predicted Hal Blaine = drums would result in crickets.

• Love 1

My son was answering all the mushroom questions before I could even speak.

7th Day Adventists was my first thought for FJ but I thought it was too obvious and switched to Pentecostal - my only FJ for the week, so Praise the Lord!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Andrew's "If her and I entered a contest ..." during his interview hurt my ears.

I feel your pain.

11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Instead of bamboo curtain I said bronze curtain. Doh. 

I nearly came up with shiitake, in a way. I mean, I got as far as "shhhhh…"

I think I got one TS: diaspora. Alex said "exile... or diaspora," so I guess I got it.

They were before Andrew's time 😉 (at least the original flavor shown in the picture)

We said diaspora too. I looked it up, and I think it's right.

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm pretty surprised shiitake was a TS, between "Japanese" in the clue and a picture (which I couldn't see, as I was reading the archive [I still got all the mushrooms just based on the text]) and that Alaska was a TS; when there's no country before state in a J! clue, it means a U.S. state, and I'd have thought "above-average amount of sunlight" would have taken at least one contestant to the state where it's daylight for months in places.  I'm also surprised pneumonia took three guesses to get to, and a little surprised no one guessed exile for a forced departure.

But none of the other TS raised my eyebrow, and I correctly predicted Hal Blaine = drums would result in crickets.

I got all the mushrooms except that one - for some reason I thought they were going for something more obscure (and I've only seen them dried, so there's that.)

I said Colorado - because I used to live there, and it's very sunny, even in the winter. I didn't even think of Alaska.

Pneumonia surprised me too - but I attributed it being an instaget for me because I've had it.

The mister (a musician) got Hal Blaine, crickets struck up a symphony in my head.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Pneumonia surprised me too - but I attributed it being an instaget for me because I've had it.

It didn't surprise me because the clue implied this was something that older people get - so I can see where the guess of emphysema came from. People of all ages can get pneumonia. It's more common at both extremes of age (young and old), but certainly not something I think of as a disease that is mostly a problem in the geriatric population. I can't remember the exact wording of the clue, but I remember that piece throwing me and I think it threw off the contestants as well.

• Love 4

I got Hal Blaine (I ran the category), most of the mushrooms (Cremini bypassed my brain) and Pentecostals.

I agree that Costner on a horse is a day-maker. Silverado is one of my favorite movies ("All I did was kiss a girl!")

I liked Jennifer - she's from Sylva, NC, the small town my mom lived in before she went into assisted living. They've got a great bus system that goes in a big circle that stopped in front of her apartment; she wasn't as sad about giving up her car as she thought she was going to be. Made lots of friends on that bus!  One time, she managed to get 'em all singing, "Take Me Out to the Ball Game."

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, secnarf said:

It didn't surprise me because the clue implied this was something that older people get - so I can see where the guess of emphysema came from. People of all ages can get pneumonia. It's more common at both extremes of age (young and old), but certainly not something I think of as a disease that is mostly a problem in the geriatric population. I can't remember the exact wording of the clue, but I remember that piece throwing me and I think it threw off the contestants as well.

I was not quite old when I had it (though I certainly fit the implication now), but it's also the cause of many deaths in retirement and assisted care homes, which is might be why they thought people would associate it more with the elderly.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I agree that Costner on a horse is a day-maker. Silverado is one of my favorite movies ("All I did was kiss a girl!")

Try Open Range if you haven't. It gave me at least a week of happy thoughts. I even rewatched Dances With Wolves last month. *sigh* The man looks good on a horse.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

They were before Andrew's time 😉 (at least the original flavor shown in the picture)

I actually thought he fell victim to one of those things that AMericans know pretty well and Canadians don't.  I don't actually know if there are Lincoln logs in Canada, but his blank look made me wonder about it.

• Love 6

I knew Hal Blaine because he was the drummer on the Carpenters albums my parents had that I used to look at as a kid. 

How can Lincoln Logs be made of plastic?? That makes the title a lie! Lincoln was raised in a log cabin, not a plastic cabin!!

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I actually thought he fell victim to one of those things that AMericans know pretty well and Canadians don't.  I don't actually know if there are Lincoln logs in Canada, but his blank look made me wonder about it.

We had Lincoln logs in Canada too.  I remember the old wooden ones that my brothers had.

21 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Andrew's "If her and I entered a contest ..." during his interview hurt my ears.

I seldom listen to the interviews but I caught that, unfortunately.  Hurt my ears too🙁

• Love 3

I got Pentecostal right away, since the clue did everything but give the name of the day called “Pentecost” in the Christian calendar.

Oh, and I got Hal Blaine being a drummer thanks to The Carpenters, too! I love that Karen Carpenter is getting mad props by new fans of hers all over YouTube now.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Sharpie66 said:

I got Pentecostal right away, since the clue did everything but give the name of the day called “Pentecost” in the Christian calendar.

Somewhere in the dark corners of my brain, I knew what "Pentacost" is, but "this day" just triggered "Seventh Day" and nothing was going to dislodge that.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Yes it did, but "epiphany" got stuck in my brain even though I knew it was wrong. Well, they have a "p" and an "e" in common, at least. 😄

• LOL 3
20 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I also wondered if his Canadian-ness made it a harder clue, although this Canadian got it right. I don't think I've ever seen Lincoln Logs in real life.

• Love 2

I looked up some Lincoln Log history and came up with this. As another poster said back during our previous discussion of the toy, they were invented around 1916 by John Lloyd Wright, second son of Frank Lloyd Wright. I remember being upset when they were made of plastic, it was just so wrong, but wood is back: "The toy sets were originally made of redwood. In the 1970s the company unsuccessfully introduced sets made entirely of plastic, but soon reverted to real wood." The difference is now all types of wood are used, not just redwood.

As for the name, it's not clear. "K'Nex, the toy's current distributor, states the product was named after Abraham Lincoln—famously born in a log cabin—due to patriotism during World War I. Others attribute the name to Frank Lloyd Wright's original name, Frank Lincoln Wright, or the alliteration of the name Linkin' Logs."

I seem to remember seeing Linkin' Logs on some packages; maybe my set.

They came in a tin, I was very good about putting all the pieces away when I was done playing with them. They are sold in Canada. And it's the logs' 100th anniversary now. Here's the anniversary tin. (end of lesson)

LincolnLogs.jpg.10ac58f09e41168e97fb0a2935f8d4f1.jpg

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
45 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I looked up some Lincoln Log history and came up with this. As another poster said back during our previous discussion of the toy, they were invented around 1916 by John Lloyd Wright, second son of Frank Lloyd Wright. I remember being upset when they were made of plastic, it was just so wrong, but wood is back: "The toy sets were originally made of redwood. In the 1970s the company unsuccessfully introduced sets made entirely of plastic, but soon reverted to real wood." The difference is now all types of wood are used, not just redwood.

As for the name, it's not clear. "K'Nex, the toy's current distributor, states the product was named after Abraham Lincoln—famously born in a log cabin—due to patriotism during World War I. Others attribute the name to Frank Lloyd Wright's original name, Frank Lincoln Wright, or the alliteration of the name Linkin' Logs."

I seem to remember seeing Linkin' Logs on some packages; maybe my set.

They came in a tin, I was very good about putting all the pieces away when I was done playing with them. They are sold in Canada. And it's the logs' 100th anniversary now. Here's the anniversary tin. (end of lesson)

LincolnLogs.jpg.10ac58f09e41168e97fb0a2935f8d4f1.jpg

My only experience with them was this: while visiting some relatives, they gave my brother a set of Lincoln Logs, and gave me...clothesline and clothes pins. Seriously. On the car trip home (a long trip) both of us were in the back seat. I suffered from motion sickness, and when the inevitable cookie toss came - I tossed it right over his Lincoln Logs. I was a spiteful little thing.

• LOL 7

I got Pentecostals pretty quickly. In my younger years I was a weekend clerk in a hospital lab and my desk was next to the room where the phlebotomists kept their supplies. Two of them were Pentecostal. Every weekend we discussed Knots Landing and the power of the Holy Spirit. They were lovely women. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 5:02 PM, Sharpie66 said:

got Pentecostal right away, since the clue did everything but give the name of the day called “Pentecost” in the Christian calendar.

As someone who was nominally raised Episcopalian but has been an agnostic at best for at least 30 years, I've never heard of Pentecost.  I have heard of Pentecostals, but had no idea how they got the name.  I, of course, confidently answered Seventh Day Adventist for FJ.

5 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Well, you have to wait til Wednesday! I can't wait and obviously you can!😁

Thanks for the warning.  I'm out on Wednesday evenings and tape Jeopardy, so at least I can fast forward through everything except the actual game.

• Love 1

Lots of TS in today’s game.  I did not get FJ! even though I knew the answer whe revealed.  Then again I’m home after being in the ED for bronchitis.  My brain isn’t working on all cylinders.  I so like Gilbert.

• Love 1

I didn't get FJ, though I should have done.  I recognized the name immediately when it was revealed.  But I knew I'd have a hard time with any clue in that category.

There were a lot of TS -- ones I wrote down include rood (rude), pawn, Tom Wolfe, and Pam Dawber.

I didn't remember any of those contestants tonight.

• Love 1