Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

56 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

For no reason that I can explain, I actually got FJ tonight.  It was really a guess, but the only other person I could think of was Grant, and I knew that couldn't possibly be right, so Sherman it was.  Hey, and it's an asterisk, too!

My thinking exactly!

Still not a fan of Elise. I wish she would stop waving at me. I'm not going to wave back.

• LOL 4

That music category was tough for me (I think I only got Bruno Mars).  Guessed on Edward VII cause that's the only one I could think of. And was thrilled to get FJ (a guess, but a confident guess cause the clue mentioned he was a civil war hero).  As I shouted out "Lot's wife", I had a brief concern that they wanted her name but what the heck was her name?  She shudda never turned back!  It was nice to see Austin, a nice nerdy smart guy.

• Love 5

So, someone on another forum is absolutely SURE that showing Austin in the audience means that they are gearing up to have him replace Alex when Alex leaves.  Uh...I seriously doubt that.

I got FJ, and found it relatively easy.  I knew that Sherman had a brother who was a senator--I think I picked that up from Ken Burns's Civil War series--and Sherman has a relatively famous quote in response to people wanting him to be president:  "If nominated, I will not run.  If elected, I will not serve."

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

So, someone on another forum is absolutely SURE that showing Austin in the audience means that they are gearing up to have him replace Alex when Alex leaves.  Uh...I seriously doubt that.

I just can't see Austin as the host of Jeopardy! I can see Buzzy Cohen taking over for Alex; I think he would be a very good host.

Just an okay game for me.  I got Lot's wife but that was it. 

I said Stonewall Jackson for FJ.  American history is not my wheelhouse.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Trey said:

I just can't see Austin as the host of Jeopardy! I can see Buzzy Cohen taking over for Alex; I think he would be a very good host.

People sometimes suggest former contestants as replacements for Alex--usually Ken Jennings--but I don't really see that happening.  Being a good game show contestant doesn't mean that you would make a good game show host.  They're two different skill sets.

When Alex does leave, I'm sure his replacement will be an experienced broadcasting professional.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if they already have a short list of candidates lined up.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

For no reason that I can explain, I actually got FJ tonight.  It was really a guess, but the only other person I could think of was Grant, and I knew that couldn't possibly be right, so Sherman it was.  Hey, and it's an asterisk, too!

Poor Michael Collins -- always "the third one."  I got him, as well as oblique, and Lot's wife, though I wondered if that would be accepted or if she had an actual name.

I was wracking my brain, I knew Grant was out, McClellon slipped in and I thought "not a hero", and Sherman was the only other Civil War guy I could think of. The mister knew it (neither of us reveal our answers until we both have one or give up).

I wondered the same about Lot's wife.

50 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I got FJ, and found it relatively easy.  I knew that Sherman had a brother who was a senator--I think I picked that up from Ken Burns's Civil War series--and Sherman has a relatively famous quote in response to people wanting him to be president:  "If nominated, I will not run.  If elected, I will not serve."

Damn, and I know that quote - but not who said it. Maybe it will stick now - I do learn stuff on Jeopardy (though sometimes it takes multiple times for it to sink in).

16 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

People sometimes suggest former contestants as replacements for Alex--usually Ken Jennings--but I don't really see that happening.  Being a good game show contestant doesn't mean that you would make a good game show host.  They're two different skill sets.

When Alex does leave, I'm sure his replacement will be an experienced broadcasting professional.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if they already have a short list of candidates lined up.

I think you're right that those are two different skill sets. I'm a touch afraid that that's not what the powers to be will think, as they've been doing a lot of heavy marketing with the former champs these days. That being said - just because someone is a good contestant doesn't mean they don't have hosting skills (or couldn't develop them quickly). There've been actors, teachers, and comedians, and probably a broadcast professional or two. Though of course, we're all focusing on the former champs - some dreading, some anticipating.

I'm neutral. It's going to be a tough transition regardless.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Re: selecting a new host, I hope it's a professional, someone like Alex. Moderating game shows most likely is not a piece of cake (esp one like Jeopardy).

I'm sure they will choose someone very professional with lots of experience.  But it is interesting to speculate.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Austin was interviewed by the TMZ paps the other night, got a small segment on the show. He was asked about the upcoming K-B-J battle, and his reply was that the writers are diabolical and he thinks they will come up with some tough clues. That has to be difficult for the writers, to make clues difficult yet not so hard that the general public is turned off.

i hate the spec about who will replace Alex. It's mind numbing. Wait 'til the guy retires before you kick him to the curb. All the replacement talk makes me think of vulturous family members sitting around grandpa's bed as he's dying, then running around the room grabbing possessions when he takes his last breath.

If Austin is on the short list, he will have to do something about that hair.

• Love 2

Before I read everything posted since I was last here, I have to say:  I like the new champ, and I really appreciate her love of vintage prints.  I thought her dress on her first show was fabulous (I'm assuming it was a dress), and while last night's wasn't as attractive to me personally, it was still striking in a good way.

Oh, and I said "Custer" for last night's FJ, before realizing that George Armstrong Custer and both his brothers were killed in 1876, eight years before the election in question.  D'oh!  (Politics and elections tend to be terrible subjects for me anyway.)

Edited to note that not all of Custer's brothers were at Little Bighorn, but the two who were there did die, as well as his brother-in-law and his nephew.  Stupid Custer.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

They've also shown Wink Martindale and Vanna White in the audience in recent episodes, so they must still be auditioning 🙂 

• LOL 7
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:01 PM, Katy M said:

FJ was so obvious after the answer was revealed.  I said North by Northwest, but I knew it was wrong by the dates.

The movie year made it obvious for me.  Not that I've ever seen One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest or heard the nursery rhyme in question, but between the year and the inclusion of geese, it was an instaget for me.

I used to go to Blockbuster for a lot of titles, but I also had a membership at a smaller specialized video store near the U of D for European/British movies and tv shows.  Man, I really miss Video Americain.

I blame having to listen to those shitty songs in the Disney category (minus "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" which was a terrific song in the original movie) for not clearing the board in the Jeopardy round.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:12 PM, zoey1996 said:

I loved the Disney on Broadway category, even though it was ridiculously easy.

It was easy as hell, but I hated it.  I hate almost all of those songs, especially the Abomination Which Shall Not Be Named from Frozen.

19 hours ago, Trey said:

I did get the ts of badminton and the missed dd of hurricane - poor guy who missed that one, you could see how frustrating it was for him, trying to think up some sort of disaster. 

I got those as well, although I believe Alex pronounced Dominica incorrectly.  He said it like one would say Dominican Republic, when it is actually pronounced Do-min-ee-ka (from the French, Dominique).  It also got absolutely devastated by Hurricane Maria in 2017.

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Poor Michael Collins -- always "the third one."  I got him, as well as oblique, and Lot's wife, though I wondered if that would be accepted or if she had an actual name.

I should've gotten Michael Collins - I've always been fascinated by the space program, and by the Apollo program in particular.  And the July 2019 anniversary should've made it obvious.  But no, I just sat there like a lump.  I did get oblique, despite being an absolute math idiot, and Lot's wife.  I imagine Darrin thought they were asking for her actual name, which I don't think is mentioned in the bible.

16 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

That was nice that Austin Rogers was at the taping

I missed, thank god.  Seeing him would've ruined my night.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Trey said:

Either one would be the end of the show for me.

15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

It was nice to see Austin, a nice nerdy smart guy.

Or annoying hipster douchebag, as I call him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
38 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Before I read everything posted since I was last here, I have to say:  I like the new champ, and I really appreciate her love of vintage prints.  I thought her dress on her first show was fabulous (I'm assuming it was a dress), and while last night's wasn't as attractive to me personally, it was still striking in a good way.

I loved her dress last night too.  And that she wears vintage 1950s & 1960s clothing.  Alex made me laugh with his comment that, when he wears a dress, he likes one with a bold pattern🙂

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

I always called her "Mrs. Lot."

Last week, I watched a TWO HOUR documentary on Sherman on AmazonPrime and STILL missed FJ.

Remember when Brian Williams said he was in that helicopter and NBC news relieved him of his duties on Nightly News?  Jon Stewart was leaving The Daily Show at that point and I thought, for SURE, Williams wanted that job. I'd seen him on Letterman - he's a witty dude - he'd have been good on TDS. I think he'd be a good J! host, too, although I'm not making a grab for Grandpa's treasures before he breathes his last.

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I agree.  She's a snappy dresser, and she seems very likeable.  She's also, obviously, very good at the game.  I could see her having a long run.

• Love 8

Because I can longer watch the show, I looked at Elise's photo on TheJeopardyFan. In her champ photo she is wearing black with roses ... which resembled Kel's pants on this week's DWTS, where I posted that I have pants just like his and I wear them all the time.

Which translated to, I love Elise's colorful outfits, they are what I am attracted to when shopping. I'm a primary (read: loud) color gal. I will root for her based on attire alone.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Like, say, Drew Carey?  Wayne Brady?  Both of whom would not have been my first guess for replacing long-time, iconic game show hosts, but sometimes it's surprising what skill sets overlap, I guess.

• Love 2

I would like to thank the Travelocity Roaming Gnome along with the garden gnomes from "The Full Monty" for their assistance in my getting tonight's FJ instantly.

But I really have to stop trying to do other things while Jeopardy! is on.  Tonight, I got distracted by attempting to determine the best way to get from LAX to San Pedro (and back!) in a little over a week.  Apparently SuperShuttle, my least expensive option, has been banned (temporarily? who knows!) from LAX for the past couple of days.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Either one would be the end of the show for me.

Or annoying hipster douchebag, as I call him.

👏👏👏👏👏I couldn't stand either of them. James isn't necessarily a favorite of mine, but I'd take him over them any day.

• Love 3

I liked all 3 contestants tonight and am glad Elise won again.  There's something about the way she non-verbally expresses herself that amuses me (maybe she reminds me of some 1930's film star?) Re: the movie that Jerry Seinfeld & his girlfriend made out in front of...I was laughing so hard after I read/heard the clue that I could barely jot down my answer. "Jerry! How could you?" his mother gasped. Didn't do too badly with the movies. But FJ? I was so glad someone else said flower pots. Gnomes aren't a part of my world so I never thought of them (they're too troll-y for me to have around).

• Love 4

I was really rooting for the Joyee! He was really doing well until he hit a couple rough spots with the DD. Elise drives me crazy with saying the whole name of the category...like today's U.S. Naval Academy Graduates...what a mouthful and so much time wasted. (She was funny with the astronaut question tho'). She is well rounded with her knowledge so hopefully someone will point this out to her!

• Love 4
10 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I was really rooting for the Joyee! He was really doing well until he hit a couple rough spots with the DD. Elise drives me crazy with saying the whole name of the category...like today's U.S. Naval Academy Graduates...what a mouthful and so much time wasted. (She was funny with the astronaut question tho'). She is well rounded with her knowledge so hopefully someone will point this out to her!

But at least she doesn't constantly say, "Alex" as in "I'll have potpourri, Alex" and "I'll have Guns & Roses, Alex" ad nauseum. That drives me up the wall.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

But FJ? I was so glad someone else said flower pots.

Terra cotta made me say flower pot. Garden gnomes are creepy and not part of my world. But it seems no FJ answer is part of my world these days.

• LOL 4

Not only do I like Elise's clothes, I liked the New Jersey necklace she wore for one game. I noticed there was a little jewel where Jersey City would be, which is where she's from. As a Jersey girl myself (born and raised, though haven't lived there for a number of years), it's nice to see someone who takes pride in her state!

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

Not only do I like Elise's clothes, I liked the New Jersey necklace she wore for one game. I noticed there was a little jewel where Jersey City would be, which is where she's from. As a Jersey girl myself (born and raised, though haven't lived there for a number of years), it's nice to see someone who takes pride in her state!

My eyes are old, so I never was able to make out what the necklace was - thanks!

I love her clothes, though I would never have worn them (come to think of it, given the eras she mentioned, I could have - but didn't - lol)

I like her, she plays a heck of a game. I do wish she'd abbreviate the categories a bit, but that is a minor note.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

As a Jersey girl myself (born and raised, though haven't lived there for a number of years), it's nice to see someone who takes pride in her state!

Especially since that state is NEW JERSEY!

JK, JK. (Sort of.)

• LOL 2
54 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I really liked Elise’s dress on Friday.

I finally got FJ! As soon as I saw Nuremberg I knew it was Garden Gnomes. 

I have a lot of associations when it comes to Nuremberg, but that wasn't one of them. 😄

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

Since we were behind a day here due to Monday's preemption, I was going to wait until I saw Friday's ep before coming here. Looks like we're not getting Friday's ep, or maybe I missed it somewhere. 

On 11/22/2019 at 5:02 PM, Browncoat said:

Tonight, I got distracted by attempting to determine the best way to get from LAX to San Pedro (and back!) in a little over a week. 

Going on a cruise?

5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Going on a cruise?

My thought as well, since I've done the LAX to San Pedro thing myself. In fact, next week we need to get from Houston (Hobby) to Galveston for the same reason. Uber looks like the best bet for us, and should be easy enough in LA too.

I like Elise.  Hope she sticks around for a while.

9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Since we were behind a day here due to Monday's preemption, I was going to wait until I saw Friday's ep before coming here. Looks like we're not getting Friday's ep, or maybe I missed it somewhere. 

Going on a cruise?

Yep. A nice little mini-break to the Channel Islands to look at nature. In the rain, apparently. But since it’s meant to snow here, I’ll take the warm rain!

• Love 4

I was all set to complain that one of the clues for the Naval Academy category was wrong since Wally Schirra was not the only astronaut to have missions in the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs, but then I re-read the clue this morning:

"Wally Schirra, who was the only astronaut to fly in all 3 of these NASA programs"

Yeah, you can't say that Gus Grissom flew during his Apollo mission.

Garden gnomes didn't occur to me right away, but I did think of it in time.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I was all set to complain that one of the clues for the Naval Academy category was wrong since Wally Schirra was not the only astronaut to have missions in the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs, but then I re-read the clue this morning:

"Wally Schirra, who was the only astronaut to fly in all 3 of these NASA programs"

Yeah, you can't say that Gus Grissom flew during his Apollo mission.

Oof, that kind of hit hard. Accurate though.

I still remember hearing the news. I was a kid, very invested in the space program. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Oof, that kind of hit hard. Accurate though.

I still remember hearing the news. I was a kid, very invested in the space program. 

I was trying to find a better way to phrase it, but couldn't really.  I suppose I could've said that his Apollo mission never left the launch pad, but I only just thought of that.

I'm not quite old enough to remember Apollo 1 (my first childhood memory is watching Neil Armstrong walk on the moon) but I was and still am very interested in the history of the space program, and no matter the documentary, episodes about Apollo 1 are like a punch to the gut.

• Love 3

Before Shepard's first flight, Life magazine had an article with the headline "He has to hit a keyhole in the sky..."  and the next week's article was "He hit that keyhole in the sky!"  I had both articles and a bunch of others but into a scrapbook I had to do for science class in Jr. High a few years later.

• Love 4

I guessed Levi, too, for FJ, but I would have thought its initial IPO was longer ago.  But I couldn't think of anything else that might be related to jeans, so Levi it was.  Not sure what Elyse was thinking with Uber (except that it has four letters).

The only TS I got was constellations.  But it didn't seem like there were many TS anyway, so there's that. 

• Love 3

Awww... rats! Elise is out. Hey, even I got FJ.  I guess it was way too simple (so, right up my alley). I sure didn't do too well elsewhere tonight. New champ is ok, but I'll miss Elise & her outfits.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 4

I blame all of you with your triple double extra whammy curses ya'll put on Elise and her clothes by talking nice about her. You know this thread applies bad mojo to fav players.

The year probably threw Elyse off so Uber wasn't a bad answer ("It was a great answer, it was wrong, but a great answer" -- tm Says You!). This is from TJF.com:

Even though the company was founded back in 1853, Levi Strauss & Co. (LEVI) first went public in 1971, but was taken private in 1985. It went public again in March of 2019, going public this time in order to fund both its wishes to expand overseas (especially China), as well as purchase current trendy brands.

Being a jeans girl, I was able to answer this FJ easily. I know ... shocker!

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Even though the company was founded back in 1853, Levi Strauss & Co. (LEVI) first went public in 1971, but was taken private in 1985. It went public again in March of 2019, going public this time in order to fund both its wishes to expand overseas (especially China), as well as purchase current trendy brands.

Thanks for the description. I did get LEVI as I couldn't think of any other 4 letter word associated with jeans (WGLR for Wrangler, maybe), but I also figured a company that's been around for so long would likely have already been on the stock exchange so I can why it would be confusing. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

With football, looks like I'm going to be a day behind again. 😞

I'll miss you guys.

I somehow forgot that this would be the case as it was last week and just read the archive to see tonight's questions. Guess I'll skip watching tomorrow. I feel silly now.