Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I was so excited at the end of this game, I almost "broke the rules" to post....Yes, yes, yes!!! Couldn't have happened to a more deserving contestant! If anything Jamie bothered me more today than yesterday! Oh, I get Jeopardy at 2 PM central time!!!

Surprising me, I got FJ.

And I just looked up the Frog and Tarantula story!

The frog is known to have a mutualistic relationship with the burrowing tarantula Xenesthis immanis. The tarantula provides the frog protection from predators and a food source from insects feeding on the remains of its prey. The frog's foraging protects the tarantula's eggs from ants.

Edited by suebee12
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

The frog is known to have a mutualistic relationship with the burrowing tarantula Xenesthis immanis. The tarantula provides the frog protection from predators and a food source from insects feeding on the remains of its prey. The frog's foraging protects the tarantula's eggs from ants.

Interesting. 

Besides tarantula I got klutz, the Big East, egret and all three DDs. I got FJ and a laugh at Alex commenting on the Canadian spelling. I’m very happy that Kris won or should I say that Jamie was done...

I did notice that Alex’s suit looked a bit big for him tonight. I hope he isn’t losing too much weight with his illness. He also sounded at bit hoarse during the interviews. 

• Love 1

Thank you, Kris. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I could not have taken one more day of Jamie.

I got klutz, tarantula, and egret.

FJ was an educated guess that turned out to be correct. Yay!

• Love 4
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I have only heard of snowplow parenting because it was used on The Good Place episode, The Snowplow. 

I watch The Good Place and don't remember 'snowplow' from it. Then again (and again), my memory SUCKS.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

That was a surprising TS, unless they were more focused in the pretty little frog and misunderstood the clue? 

I was distracted for a moment wondering about the symbiotic relationship they had, then I remembered I needed to name the spider. I'm thinking the contestants were in the same boat.

I got tarantula and egret, as well as FJ.

Jamie reminded me of a cross betw Jenny Slate and Sandra Bernhard.

• Love 3

I call foul. Didn't they ding some kid in a tournament for adding an extra syllable that caused a huge uproar?  Why doesn't adding the E in "suffrage" consititute adding another syllable?

I agree with referring to us as the Vietnam generation. And, of course, *every* generation thinks it's the one that invented sex for fun... (but we boomers really did, y'know.)

• LOL 7
14 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It is but some people pronounce it “fiddy”. 

And some people can pronounce it correctly, but transcribe it differently. To be fair,there's a minor aural difference between "t" and "d" in that particular arrangement of letters, unless Alex is pronouncing it. 😉

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

But, while their basketball knowledge was woefully inadequate for the game, and two of them don't know how to spell suffrage, my only other surprise may not have been one had I actually seen the game:  Was there something about the picture of a tarantula that makes their failure to identify the spider seen here not as unusual as it sounds?

I had a minor quibble with that. I thought the spelling on FJ didn't matter unless it added a syllable or changed the pronunciation. As spelled, sufferage would seem to have 3 syllables instead of two, but I may be needlessly pedantic on the matter.

Speaking of which - I got a flyer at work recently that was praising someone for their years of service, only they chose the word "servitude" (it was not a joke). Had a good laugh at that one.

2 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I call foul. Didn't they ding some kid in a tournament for adding an extra syllable that caused a huge uproar?  Why doesn't adding the E in "suffrage" consititute adding another syllable?

I agree with referring to us as the Vietnam generation. And, of course, *every* generation thinks it's the one that invented sex for fun... (but we boomers really did, y'know.)

We were posting at the same time! So I feel less pedantic. 🙂

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I agree.  It didn't make any difference to the outcome but I wouldn't have given it to them.

Not quite an instaget FJ for me but I got it pretty quickly - took a few seconds to come up with the correct word for "women's right to vote".

I like the new champ very well, hope he sticks around for a while.  I typed that with crossed fingers so as not to jinx him:)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I had a minor quibble with that. I thought the spelling on FJ didn't matter unless it added a syllable or changed the pronunciation. As spelled, sufferage would seem to have 3 syllables instead of two, but I may be needlessly pedantic on the matter.

I would pronounce sufferage as "suffrage" not "suffer age" so I don't think it does add a syllable.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It is but some people pronounce it “fiddy”. 

18 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I thought it was “fitty cent.”

Then be glad it wasn't a FJ since his proper rapper name is 50 Cent. His Twitter account is @50cent.

"Curtis James Jackson III, known professionally as 50 Cent, is an American rapper, singer, songwriter, actor, television producer, entrepreneur and investor."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Then be glad it wasn't a FJ since his proper rapper name is 50 Cent. His Twitter account is @50cent.

"Curtis James Jackson III, known professionally as 50 Cent, is an American rapper, singer, songwriter, actor, television producer, entrepreneur and investor."

According to the man himself he goes by both depending on context:

Oops the wrong clip got attached! It won’t let me delete the other mix so there you go!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
On 10/25/2019 at 10:39 PM, peeayebee said:

I watch The Good Place and don't remember 'snowplow' from it. Then again (and again), my memory SUCKS.

Third season episode called "The Snowplow' in which Michael and Janet keep fixing obstacles for the group so they can stay together in Australia (Eleanor gets a winning lottery ticket, Jason meets other Jacksonville fans, Tahani meets up with an old boyfriend). 

• Love 3

Okay, so Jamie didn't particularly bother me on Thursday, but annoyed the shit out of me on Friday.  So I'm glad the least annoying person on the stage won.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:42 PM, Bastet said:

Was there something about the picture of a tarantula that makes their failure to identify the spider seen here not as unusual as it sounds?

That one surprised me, but maybe they thought it had to be something more specific than just tarantula?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

That one surprised me, but maybe they thought it had to be something more specific than just tarantula?

It could also be that when I think of tarantulas, I picture them brown and very "hairy". The spider in the picture shown was black with only a little hair on its legs (I still identified it as a tarantula!).

Whew!  I immediately thought "Brooklyn Bridge" for FJ, then waffled and second-guessed myself with the Golden Gate Bridge, but in the end, stuck with the East Coast.  Good way to start the week.

I knew "The Giants win the pennant!  The Giants win the pennant!" from an episode of MASH.  Actually, that's one of my favorite episodes.  Poor Father Mulcahy and his fresh corn.

Ahem.  I also got cartilage, Running On Empty, and kettlebell.

• Love 1

I'm so annoyed with myself. I said Brooklyn Bridge, but decided to change it to the Golden Gate Bridge since I knew a lot of stuff was happening out west a that time.  Argh.

I don't think I got any TSs.

I got the entire Y crossword clue category right, but the entire exercise category wrong.

I actually did fairly well in double jeopardy (besides exercise).  I only missed one clue in the movie history (and that was because I changed my answer from Midway to Iwo Jima, I have to stop doing that) and one in the Greek Island category.

I feel like the Jack O'Lantern clue was confusing.  I said "jack O lantern" "Pumpkin" "Pumpkin Jack O lantern" and decided that would have been right.  

• Love 1

I didn't do too badly, but history in films? I only got All The President's Men. I thought FJ was easy because of the name Emily Roebling (Roebling was the giveaway). I love John LeCarre's books so that was easy...I'm usually always stumped on DD's. So, next week the champions return. This will be interesting with James in the mix. 

• Love 2

I was most surprised by the cartilage TS.  Kettlebell, cobble, and Running on Empty I thought someone would get, but cartilage was the only "Really? No one?" moment for me.

30 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I knew "The Giants win the pennant!  The Giants win the pennant!" from an episode of MASH. 

It plays a big role in an episode of Sports Night, too. 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I was most surprised by the cartilage TS.  Kettlebell, cobble, and Running on Empty I thought someone would get, but cartilage was the only "Really? No one?" moment for me.

Cartilage and Lewis Carroll completely shocked me. 

• Love 1

I got cartilage and FJ, after first thinking, that bridge in NY, what's the name.

James is back next week.

Yay!

#sarcasm

#stillcantstandtheguy

#somethingswillneverchange

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Fex said:

I probably would have gotten cartilage, but I forgot the answer had to start with C.  Not that this is much of an excuse, but I think I would have gotten there with a first letter.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I feel like the Jack O'Lantern clue was confusing.  I said "jack O lantern" "Pumpkin" "Pumpkin Jack O lantern" and decided that would have been right.  

That clue really irritated me. It was asking for the gourd. Pumpkin is the gourd. I think Kris should have gotten credit.

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I thought FJ was easy because of the name Emily Roebling (Roebling was the giveaway). 

Why?

I got Lewis Carroll and Brooklyn Bridge. That wasn't an instaget for me. For some reason I was trying to think of something you'd cross NOT ordinarily on wheels since 'carriage' seemed to be a significant part of the clue. Finally I settled for Brooklyn Bridge.

I was straining to think of kettle bells. I knew it but couldn't remember the name. Half a point?

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Why?

I got Lewis Carroll and Brooklyn Bridge. That wasn't an instaget for me. For some reason I was trying to think of something you'd cross NOT ordinarily on wheels since 'carriage' seemed to be a significant part of the clue. Finally I settled for Brooklyn Bridge

I knew Roebling was the last name of the man who built the Brooklyn Bridge. Emily was his daughter-in-law (just looked that up as I had no idea who she was). 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I thought FJ was easy because of the name Emily Roebling (Roebling was the giveaway).

All the FJs have a giveaway clue in them, but you have to know it. As always, FJs and TSs are EIYKI.

For FJ I right away thought Brooklyn Bridge, then thought of Washington crossing the Delaware, but who would cross that in a carriage, one needs a bridge. So I went back to Brooklyn and, lo and behold, winner winner chicken dinner.

And I've never heard of Emily Roebling.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, lb60 said:

James is back next week.

Yay!

#sarcasm

#stillcantstandtheguy

#somethingswillneverchange

And I can't wait!!! He makes the game much more interesting. As an interesting aside, James holds the record for answers given on The Chase, in both rounds he was in. The Beast says that the English version would not have let someone like him because he was too good!!

17 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

That clue really irritated me. It was asking for the gourd. Pumpkin is the gourd. I think Kris should have gotten credit.

I agree, they were talking about the gourd, not the finished product. I said Pumpkin!!

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I wouldn't have given credit for pumpkin, but a BMS prompt to get to jack-o-lantern, yes.  It was a $200 clue that would have been appropriate in the Toddler Tournament; everyone in the studio knew the answer, including Kris.  "A Celtic tradition of using hollowed-out turnips with candles inside led to these distinctive & larger Halloween gourds."  So it's not just "these gourds," any ol' pumpkins, it's the carved pumpkins with candles inside them created for Halloween, jack-o-lanterns.  If asked to be more specific, Kris would have gotten it right, and that's how I think it should have played out. 

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I wouldn't have given credit for pumpkin, but a BMS prompt to get to jack-o-lantern, yes.  It was a $200 clue that would have been appropriate in the Toddler Tournament; everyone in the studio knew the answer, including Kris.  "A Celtic tradition of using hollowed-out turnips with candles inside led to these distinctive & larger Halloween gourds."  So it's not just "these gourds," any ol' pumpkins, it's the carved pumpkins with candles inside them created for Halloween, jack-o-lanterns.  If asked to be more specific, Kris would have gotten it right, and that's how I think it should have played out. 

I respectfully disagree. Yes, a BMS was warranted, but the clue should have been written differently. Simply adding "carved" would do it. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Whew!  I immediately thought "Brooklyn Bridge" for FJ, then waffled and second-guessed myself with the Golden Gate Bridge, but in the end, stuck with the East Coast.  Good way to start the week.

The Golden Gate Bridge was completed in 1937, so it wouldn't have been consistent with a 19th century category.

Of course, if one didn't know the history of the GGB, such a guess would be understandable,☺️

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the entire Y crossword clue category right, but the entire exercise category wrong.

Me, too! Also got Lewis Carroll and John LeCarre, whose books I have been reading for decades. 

12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I didn't do too badly, but history in films? I only got All The President's Men. I thought FJ was easy because of the name Emily Roebling (Roebling was the giveaway). I love John LeCarre's books so that was easy...I'm usually always stumped on DD's. So, next week the champions return. This will be interesting with James in the mix. 

The only history film I missed was the Tom Cruise one, which I should have gotten, despite not having seen any of them.

11 hours ago, Fex said:

I didn't get cartilage, I used some other, very wrong, "C" word that's fun to say (a perfectly innocent one).

Anyone else annoyed that the cloud clue spotted the contestants the second letter? I mean, the most common mistake with clouds is between cumulus and cirrus, so they decided to make it dead easy, instead of just pretty darned easy.

I was surprised about Lewis Carroll too.

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I was straining to think of kettle bells. I knew it but couldn't remember the name. Half a point?

"straining to think of kettle bells"  - made me laugh. Good use of a "beefy" verb.

9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I respectfully disagree. Yes, a BMS was warranted, but the clue should have been written differently. Simply adding "carved" would do it. 

I agree that the clue should have been better written, and a BMS was warranted. They didn't use "carved" but first part of the clue did say "Celtic tradition of using hollowed-out turnips with candles inside led to these..." which does seem to lead to carved pumpkins, at least for me.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I knew Roebling was the last name of the man who built the Brooklyn Bridge. Emily was his daughter-in-law (just looked that up as I had no idea who she was). 

To provide a bit more detail, the Brooklyn Bridge was designed by John Roebling, who was appointed chief engineer of its construction.  He was injured before construction could begin, developed tetanus, and died.  He was replaced by his son, Washington Roebling (32 years old at the time).

Washington Roebling himself was incapacitated during construction of the bridge's caissons, leaving him physically unable to continue his work.  His wife, Emily Roebling, took over supervision of the engineers building the bridge.  To quote wikipedia, "Emily understood higher mathematics, calculations of catenary curves, strengths of materials, bridge specifications, and intricacies of cable construction, and so she spent the next 11 years helping supervise the bridge's construction."

So her being the first to cross the bridge wasn't just a gesture--she had put a great deal of work into getting the thing built.

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Useful 11
  • Love 3

All I can say is, with the way they've been breathlessly promoting his return for the past couple of weeks, James better not flame out in the ToC! It sure would be embarrassing for J!

• LOL 1
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

I knew what they wanted, but couldn't come up with the word in time.  Running on Empty, on the other hand, well, maybe it's just me who remembers that version of Stay so well.

17 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

thought FJ was easy because of the name Emily Roebling (Roebling was the giveaway).

I had no idea who she was, but I knew it had to be either the Brooklyn Bridge or the Golden Gate, and I went with Brooklyn.

15 hours ago, suebee12 said:

And I can't wait!!! He makes the game much more interesting.

Not for me - I hate runaway games.  I didn't hate him during his run, but I do hope he loses.

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, I think a BMS would've been appropriate here.

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The only history film I missed was the Tom Cruise one, which I should have gotten, despite not having seen any of them

I got them all, but this one only because I remember the Iran-Contra scandal well.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:
7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The only history film I missed was the Tom Cruise one, which I should have gotten, despite not having seen any of them

I got them all, but this one only because I remember the Iran-Contra scandal well.

I was going at it from the Sandinista side of the equation, and didn't get to the Contras in time.

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:
17 hours ago, suebee12 said:

And I can't wait!!! He makes the game much more interesting.

Not for me - I hate runaway games.  I didn't hate him during his run, but I do hope he loses.

It's the Tournament of Champions, isn't it? I don't really see James (who I do like) managing the same kind of runaway games with these guys. He's got a great betting strategy, but he's up against a more evenly matched crowd, right?

• Love 5

The Halloween gourd clue was so poorly written. Pumpkin should have been a BMS or credit given and scores adjusted later in the game. So irritating.

4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't hate him during his run, but I do hope he loses.

That could make the tournament more interesting and fun.

• Love 2

I said Psycho for FJ because I had no idea. As soon as I saw the category I figured I'd get it wrong. I'm not much a movie buff.

I got the TSs of Land of the Free and Tentmaker.

I got the entire categories of Idioms, Star Spangled Banner and Take 10.  I missed the entire category of books by the number, but I got pretty close on a couple of them:) 7,000, 6000, what's the difference?  212 bones in the body sounds good to me.  12 Successful habits beats 7 successful habits any day of the week.  

• LOL 1

I have finally decided that yelling the answers to help the contestant DOES NOT help. I was screaming Tentmaker, Tentmaker but it made no difference!😥

When I saw the FJ category, I immediately thought of Psycho...but as soon as I saw the answer, I knew Rear Window right away!!! One of my favorite Hitchcock movies of all time!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

but as soon as I saw the answer, I knew Rear Window right away!!!

LOL! As soon as I saw the answer I knew Rear Window right away too.

20 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

I was screaming Tentmaker, Tentmaker but it made no difference!

Was this line from a Fiddler on the Roof song: "Tentmaker, Tentmaker, make me a tent?"

• LOL 8

My boyfriend decided a few months ago he wanted to watch all of Hitchcock’s movies so FJ was an IG as we just saw it a month or two ago because despite what Alex seems to think people watch movies, listen to music and read books even if it was made before they were born!!

• Love 1

I am not happy that I didn't get FJ. When the category was revealed, I confidently wagered it all. When we see the clue, I was immediately stumped, then my mind was jumping all over the place, then it figured Hitchcock was the director, then for some reason I came to "The Trouble With Harry," then I gave up.

For the Omar Khayyam clue, for some reason tent maker came to mind right away, but then I wondered about rug maker (forgetting the category).

For the composer in the Gothic category, I couldn't remember his full name, coming up only with Trent Rez....

I loved Alex's little joke: "Is he still talking about karaoke?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I am not happy that I didn't get FJ. When the category was revealed, I confidently wagered it all. When we see the clue, I was immediately stumped, then my mind was jumping all over the place, then it figured Hitchcock was the director, then for some reason I came to "The Trouble With Harry," then I gave up.

I'm with you. I figured it was a Hitchcock but couldn't remember a digging dog, although Hitchcock owned Sealyham Terriers and they appeared in several of his films. Rear Window is one of my favorites, and I've seen it multiple times. So big DUH to me. My FJ scores continue to talk binary this week.

Spoiler alert: The dog is killed in Rear Window.