Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Ugh! The contestant that I didn't want to win, who insisted on saying I'll take + the entire category + the dollar amount, wins. 

Fanfreakintastic.

Not many categories to my liking tonight, so I did not have a great game.

FJ=instaget, so much so I thought I was wrong. Cher never entered my mind. 

ETA-I thought that tilting bridge was really cool.

Edited by lb60
peeayebee reminded me of that cool bridge.
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I liked the movie category, where you had to give the last word of the title, but I'd never even heard of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (quite the wordy title!), so I didn't get that one.

A ridiculously long title. I've seen the movie and knew that this is what the clue was referencing, but I always have a hard time recalling the title.

I got bead -- from the little hint in the clue since I didn't know that's what that thingy is called -- and 1812 Overture. I was upset with myself for not remembering comma splice. I thought, "Misplaced comma?" but I knew that wasn't right.

For FJ I said Diana Ross.

Another cool bridge!

• Love 1

The 1812 Overture is often played at July 4 celebrations.  It has nothing to do with American independence, but it sounds good.  Once I got it stuck in my head (complete with church bells and cannons) and by the time I got rid of it, I had a terrible headache.

• LOL 2
12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Joy to the world...I got FJ (can't believe the two guys picked Cher). IMO, FJ was too easy. 1963 was a big hint ("People"). And I got bead (shocked as I don't know guns) & bivuoac (no idea how to spell it).  

I picked Cher - after a detour to Aretha and wondering if The Blues Brothers movie counted as her being an actress. I figured 1963 was too early, but stuck with it. Barbra didn't even enter my mind, despite the fact that as a kid I knew every lyric to every song on the Funny Girl album and would emote like Barbra when singing it.  Go figure.

11 hours ago, Katy M said:

I just looked it up and Cher put out her first album I 1965, so going by the year, it wasn't a crazy guess. And since it was my until about 5 seconds until the time ran out, I feel the need to defend it.

Thank you for defending it. 🙂

Otherwise, I did pretty well on the boards except for the last word in the movie title one. My mind freezes up with categories like that.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Otherwise, I did pretty well on the boards except for the last word in the movie title one. My mind freezes up with categories like that.

My mind is in a constant frozen state during Jeopardy...it keeps yelling "slow down...gimme a minute, awright?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Had no clue on Final Jeopardy.  Barbra Streisand never occurred to me, and I didn't even manage to think of Cher! 🙂

The best I could come up with was Dolly Parton, which is surely all kinds of wrong!

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

I wouldn't mind the female if they'd also specify male.  It's as if the assumption or default is male when not otherwise specified.

That's exactly the assumption, that male is always the default, and I don't know why they do it. Why can't a woman be just a 'Music Superstar'?

Thought of Babs immediately, so I'm at .500 this week for FJ! 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

The best I could come up with was Dolly Parton, which is surely all kinds of wrong!

What, why? She's a singer and an actress and her debut album was in 1967 so not that far off from 1963. I think she qualifies as a Superstar. She's accomplished a lot and won a billion awards and is a great humanitarian. She's even got a theme park, the only one I can think of besides Elvis. She's iconic. 

Regarding using the Female Music Superstars category, it's not like once you read the clue you're not going to know it's a woman. That makes it even more insulting, IMO.

With more than 30 top 10 albums since 1963, this singer-actress ranks no. 1 among the Billboard 200’s Greatest Women Artists of All Time

No one's mentioned how the champ did a Cher hair flip? I thought that was hilarious!

Edited by DoubleUTeeEff
spacing
  • Love 7

I don't care what they called the FJ category.  I never have cared about that.

I'll confess to answering "Cher" even though I didn't think she'd had that many Top Ten albums because I couldn't think of any other singer/actresses.  D'oh.

• Love 1

I instagot Streisand, and then spent the next 29.3 seconds thinking "Oooh, what about Cher?".  Luckily I stuck to my guns with Barbra.  

After seeing the other names mentioned here, I did Google the list to see where Cher and the rest ranked.  I would strongly advise everyone not to bother, a) because it's behind a paywall, and b) because I could see that the #2 was Taylor Swift, so the entire thing is clearly invalid anyway.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:01 PM, Katy M said:

I think I only got one of the music legends.

I got all of them, and was very saddened that they knew neither Duke Ellington nor Glen Campbell.

18 hours ago, Bastet said:

I liked the movie category, where you had to give the last word of the title, but I'd never even heard of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (quite the wordy title!), so I didn't get that one.

I've heard of it but didn't understand the category until after the second clue was revealed.

• Love 4
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:35 PM, peeayebee said:

also got Glen Campbell, Dafoe, tanager, and Pryce, on whom I developed a crush after Something Wicked This Way Comes. 

Oh, and the DD of George Orwell.

I didn't get tanager but did get the rest.  (And same with Something Wicked This Way Comes, btw, he was hot in that.)

20 hours ago, Katy M said:

I had a great night.  Except for commas. The only comma clue I got was semicolon.  OK, didn't do so great with classical music either, but I ended up over 10,000 positive before FJ which I got right after changing my answer from Cher.

I got God, Venice and the 1812 Overture.

I knew those, but did get all but one of the comma clues.  Helps that a site I visit occasionally debates the use of the Oxford comma.

20 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Joy to the world...I got FJ (can't believe the two guys picked Cher). IMO, FJ was too easy. 1963 was a big hint ("People"). And I got bead (shocked as I don't know guns) & bivuoac (no idea how to spell it).  

I got bead & bivouac but said Cher for FJ.  It wasn't easy for me.  The year meant nothing to me.

18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got comma splice, bead, and Tyne.  I don't think I got a single clue right in the classical music category.

I ran the classical music category.  I got bead, although I have no idea how, and Tyne.  Probably because I watch the English Premier League and Newcastle is one of the teams; also, it's where Vera takes place.

18 hours ago, Bastet said:

I did as poorly in the saints category as I'd have predicted, though; I only got Nicholas, because the December clue within the clue did indeed take me to St. Nick. 

I actually got them all, much to my surprise.  I was a bit flabbergasted that the one guy missed Venice - Piazza San Marco, Basilica San Marco, everything's San Marco in that city.

1 hour ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

What, why? She's a singer and an actress and her debut album was in 1967 so not that far off from 1963. I think she qualifies as a Superstar. She's accomplished a lot and won a billion awards and is a great humanitarian. She's even got a theme park, the only one I can think of besides Elvis. She's iconic. 

She absolutely qualifies as a superstar.  And is apparently one of the very nicest people you'd ever want to meet.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Scott said:

because I could see that the #2 was Taylor Swift, so the entire thing is clearly invalid anyway.

Why would that make it invalid?  She is a music superstar, no matter how someone might feel about her music, and if it's based on sales (which it surely is given that it's Billboard and sales is what they care about), well, she's sold one hell of a lot of music.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Oh, no offense to Dolly (we've been to Dollywood several times!).  It just struck me as "all kinds of wrong" because I was thinking in an entirely different genre than the correct answer turned out be.  Had I been on the stage at the time, I might possibly have gotten a "Not a bad guess" out of Alex! 🙂

I probably had Dolly on my mind from watching the Ken Burns Country Music documentary a few weeks ago.

• Love 6

I can't believe I didn't think of Nick Charles!  Of course it would be Nick and Nora!  I said, with zero confidence, Sam Spade. 

At least I was able to come up with rainbow, "let freedom ring", and the Civil Rights Act.

Did anyone else notice all the sighing from both end contestants?  Especially the guy?  He'd pick a clue, then sigh like it was a struggle. 

• Love 5

I, too, said Sam Spade for FJ.  And the only TS I got was the Civil Rights Act which I found to be an odd TS.

I only got Kalahari because I figured if it was at the bottom it couldn't be the Sahara and those are the only 2 AFrican deserts I know.  I'm surprised only one person guessed a Great Lake. There are only 5.  Didn't stop me from getting it wrong, though. It was a complete guess, so I just said Huron.

• Love 1

I am personally offended by anyone who did not immediately say Nick Charles!    Ha Ha! I love the Thin Man series and adored Myrna Loy and William Powell's portrayals.   The Kennel Murder case with Powell as Vance was also a favorite series of mine....hard to find those movies.   I think I will watch a Thin Man tonight....love the one with Jimmy Stewart!!! 

Edited by catrice2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I’m pretty sure I didn’t know that the Thin Man series came from books, so I was never going to get FJ. I also guessed Sam Spade.

I wonder if they would’ve accepted just “Ali” for  the question about Laila. 

I thought the middle lady said Harrod (singular) and was going to get called on it later. But I could’ve easily misheard.

Since The Thin Man is one of my favorite films, I am trying not to be appalled FJ was a TS.  But I am surprised; I would have thought mentioning a wife would have clued at least one contestant in to Nick and Nora.

I was surprised a fair bit tonight.  The Civil Rights Act TS was very surprising (and a bit disturbing), and I can't quite believe the "Let freedom ring" DD in that category was a miss, either; by that point, I correctly predicted Josephine Baker would stump them, too.

The rainbow TS is something I thought someone would at least guess. 

And I thought Laila Ali was more well known than to be a TS; no one even tried getting away with "Who is Ali?"  The Millers were a TS, too, so sports was not a particularly good category for them.

The Cameroon TS, despite being a "identify the highlighted country" clue, did not surprise me, being African geography.  But those TS do always make me a little sad.

And that's twice in as many weeks there has been a Great Lakes clue and only one contestant has guessed; narrowed down to four possible answers, it's surprising to me no one else takes a stab at it.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Since The Thin Man is one of my favorite films, I am trying not to be appalled FJ was a TS.  But I am surprised; I would have thought mentioning a wife would have clued at least one contestant in to Nick and Nora.

I was surprised a fair bit tonight.  The Civil Rights Act TS was very surprising (and a bit disturbing), and I can't quite believe the "Let freedom ring" DD in that category was a miss, either; by that point, I correctly predicted Josephine Baker would stump them, too.

The rainbow TS is something I thought someone would at least guess. 

And I thought Laila Ali was more well known than to be a TS; no one even tried getting away with "Who is Ali?"  The Millers were a TS, too, so sports was not a particularly good category for them.

The Cameroon TS, despite being a "identify the highlighted country" clue, did not surprise me, being African geography.  But those TS do always make me a little sad.

And that's twice in as many weeks there has been a Great Lakes clue and only one contestant has guessed; narrowed down to four possible answers, it's surprising to me no one else takes a stab at it.

You mentioned several of my "what the" moments from the show today.  Being from Michigan I am always appalled at how little contestants know about the Great Lakes but know everything about those in South Africa and Africa. 

Josephine Baker took less than five seconds....again, several, the Civil Rights Act was so easy I was surprised it was a clue.  Can't believe no one guessed Nick Charles...not even "Nick!?" 

Edited by catrice2
  • Love 2

I just got Rainbow and Cameroon. I was in the Sam Spade mode like a lot of you. At the end of the National Geographic Women’s category Alex put in a plug for the new book that features them. No Alex. Please plug when you aren’t taking time away from answering clues. Despite, they cleared the board. 

• Love 2

Right there with you Catrice2, it hurt my Michigander heart that Superior was a TS.

I too love the Thin Man movies (although the Jimmy Stewart one traumatized me a bit as a kid).  I remember fondly seeing them with my late father when they used to have weekend winter movies at Henry Ford Museum.

My mom and even saw the musical Nick and Nora in NYC when it briefly ran years ago.  Not great but fun and Barry Bostwick looked darn good as Nick.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Had no clue on Final Jeopardy.  Barbra Streisand never occurred to me, and I didn't even manage to think of Cher! 🙂

Dolly Parton was my guess too!  "9 to 5" and all that and she has been around forever 🙂

• Love 4

I somehow managed to get FJ, after pre-guessing Ellery Queen. Wasn't sure about the wife part (or anything else, really), then Nick and Nora came to me.

That's one point and an *. Booyah!!!

I also got rainbow, Laila Ali, and Civil Rights Act (shameful that was a TS).

New champ is okay, but needs to pick up the pace.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Grundoon59 said:

Right there with you Catrice2, it hurt my Michigander heart that Superior was a TS.

I too love the Thin Man movies (although the Jimmy Stewart one traumatized me a bit as a kid).  I remember fondly seeing them with my late father when they used to have weekend winter movies at Henry Ford Museum.

My mom and even saw the musical Nick and Nora in NYC when it briefly ran years ago.  Not great but fun and Barry Bostwick looked darn good as Nick.

I know!  I can still hear him saying, one for her and one for myself at the end in that crazed voice and the psychiatrist being shocked that he had been right about him being koo koo for cocoa puffs!!  Loved how Nora threw herself in front of Selma.......and Polly spelling married marryed....oh...yes, it is a favorite! 

• Love 2

Yes, it was amusing that contestant Nick missed Mr. Charles. In all fairness, both Nick (and Nora) Charles and Sam Spade were created by Dashiell Hammett. When the category 1930s Novel Characters was announced, I pre-guessed Tom Joad and the Mrs. said Sam Spade. I, however, thought The Maltese Falcon was from the '20s (it's from 1930). When the clue was revealed, Nick Charles (with his rich wife) was an insta-get. I was waiting to see if anyone answered "Who is The Thin Man" because that would be WRONG. 'The Thin Man' did NOT refer to Nick, no matter what the subsequent movie titles imply!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I thought of The Thin Man, though I knew that wasn't the characters name (similar to The Pink Panther),

9 minutes ago, Gimmick Genius said:

I was waiting to see if anyone answered "Who is The Thin Man" because that would be WRONG. 'The Thin Man' did NOT refer to Nick, no matter what the subsequent movie titles imply!

After The Thin Man works, because it picks up shortly after the first film left off, and covers their next adventure after the Thin Man case.  And that was supposed to be the only sequel.  But MGM kept cranking out more, and using "The Thin Man" in all those titles, too, even calling the fifth film - in which Nick and Nora visit Nick's parents in his hometown - The Thin Man Goes Home.  Argh!  Nick isn't the Thin Man; Clyde Wynant was.

I don't remember who it was - certainly not Robert Osborne - but someone on TCM once referred to William Powell playing "The Thin Man".  Of all the places where everyone should get it right.  Hmph.

• Love 4

There was another Hammett-related Final Jeopardy recently... Fat Man, the name of the Atomic Bomb, came from The Maltese Falcon.

Re: the Great Lakes clue of "Gitchee Gumee" ... that name is also cited for Lake Superior in The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, SHD said:

I wonder if they would’ve accepted just “Ali” for  the question about Laila. 

I don't think they would have in this case, since they pictured her with her dad and didn't just ask for a last name.  I couldn't remember her first name to save my life.  I laughed when the constestant said Tatyana, because that was Ashley from The Fresh Prince and looks nothing like Laila.  And, I don' tthink she's related, but what do I know.

10 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I just got Rainbow and Cameroon. I was in the Sam Spade mode like a lot of you. At the end of the National Geographic Women’s category Alex put in a plug for the new book that features them. No Alex. Please plug when you aren’t taking time away from answering clues. Despite, they cleared the board. 

breaking up the play annoys me, too, but it is the appropriate time to put in the plug.  Plus, I think I read somewhere recently, that they actually do that later and insert it there, so it's not actually taking up the time.  We, at home, just can't tell the difference.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I knew it wasn’t Sam Spade. He wasn’t married.  I’m couldn’t think of any other detectives from that era despite having seen The Thin Man  a bazillion times.  Parents owning a lumber mill did NOT lead me anywhere.  Pre guessing the answer?  I said Rhett  Butler or Scarlett O’ Hara because Jeopardy!  loves GWTW, as do I.

Edited by PaulaO
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

We said "Who is Ali?" and then laughed. We didn't have a clue about her name. I knew he had a daughter who boxed, but that was it. Would have been a lot easier if it was one of George Foreman's offspring.

14 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I knew it wasn’t Sam Spade. He wasn’t married.  I’m couldn’t think of any other detectives from that era despite having seen The Thin Man  a bazillion times.  Parents owning a lumber mill did NOT lead me anywhere.  Pre guessing the answer?  I said Rhett  Butler or Scarlett O’ Hara because Jeopardy!  loves GWTW, as do I.

I pre-guessed Sam Spade, but the clue meant nothing to me. I was toying with Tommy and Tuppence when time ran out, though I wasn't sure whose books they were in (Christie) and what time period (almost right).

I got the Great Lake right - which we high fived over, because I never remember the Lakes - my husband's the geography guy. But apparently since I do remember the poem very well, my mind associated the two.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I'm surprised only one person guessed a Great Lake. There are only 5.  Didn't stop me from getting it wrong, though. It was a complete guess, so I just said Huron.

...and then I had "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" playing on my mental jukebox the rest of the night. Everybody sing with me..."The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down of the big lake they call Gitchee Gumeeeeeee..."

I, too, said Sam Spade right off the bat, but then considered the "wife" part of the clue and finally came up with Nick Charles. I may not have had enough time to write it down, though.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I pre-guessed Sam Spade, but the clue meant nothing to me. I was toying with Tommy and Tuppence when time ran out, though I wasn't sure whose books they were in (Christie) and what time period (almost right).

Cool, someone else who knows about Tommy and Tuppence!  They are my favorite Agatha Christie characters, even though not a lot of people seem to be aware of them.  I knew it couldn't be them, though--they started out poor, and Tuppence's father was a minister.  She wouldn't be inheriting no lumber mills!

Once you've eliminated Tommy and Tuppence, the reference to "his wife" really did narrow it down to Nick Charles.  Very few other detectives of that era were married.

• Love 7

...and then I had "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" playing on my mental jukebox the rest of the night. Everybody sing with me..."The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down of the big lake they call Gitchee Gumeeeeeee..."

I was wondering if I was the only one who got the answer that way! Like when I knew the answer to a question about where the Reclining Buddha is because of "One Night in Bangkok". It's nice when music is educational as well as fun to listen to!

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I can't believe I didn't think of Nick Charles!  Of course it would be Nick and Nora!  I said, with zero confidence, Sam Spade. 

At least I was able to come up with rainbow, "let freedom ring", and the Civil Rights Act.

Did anyone else notice all the sighing from both end contestants?  Especially the guy?  He'd pick a clue, then sigh like it was a struggle. 

I got rainbow and the Civil Rights Act.  I also got Lake Superior and Josephine Baker.  Same with Cameroon - thanks to watching them play at the World Cup more than once.

I knew right away that the FJ clue referred to Nick and Nora but struggled to come up with the last name.  I did get it in time to write it down, though.

17 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Civil Rights Act TS was very surprising (and a bit disturbing), and I can't quite believe the "Let freedom ring" DD in that category was a miss, either;

I was trying to sing the song in my head, but didn't get to the end of the verse quickly enough.   And I'm not familiar enough with the speech to have gotten it that way.

17 hours ago, Bastet said:

I had no idea who the Millers were, since I haven't watched basketball since I was in high school.  But Laila Ali has done things like Celebrity Chopped, so I'm a little surprised none of the contestants knew her.

17 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

He probably doesn't have any choice about that.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

But Laila Ali has done things like Celebrity Chopped, so I'm a little surprised none of the contestants knew her.

I'm not sure I'd have known her first name without her appearances on Chopped and Top Chef.  I don't like boxing, so even though I'd read about her in that context and, of course, it was a big deal that a child of The Greatest had succeeded in the sport, I might have been "Who is Ali?" if not for the fact I watch a few cooking shows and thus her full name was more recently in my memory.

7 hours ago, Katy M said:

Plus, I think I read somewhere recently, that they actually do that later and insert it there, so it's not actually taking up the time. 

Yes, it's filmed separately and added in (shaving time off elsewhere if needed; speed something up, omit one of Alex's [alleged] bon mots, cut a contestant's phrasing in the form of a question, etc.).  Those plugs do not cause a real-time delay in game play.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm not sure I'd have known her first name without her appearances on Chopped and Top Chef.  I don't like boxing, so even though I'd read about her in that context and, of course, it was a big deal that a child of The Greatest had succeeded in the sport, I might have been "Who is Ali?" if not for the fact I watch a few cooking shows and thus her full name was more recently in my memory.

That's me.  I was vaguely aware of her before Chopped, but probably wouldn't have remembered her name.

On 10/22/2019 at 12:05 PM, biakbiak said:

Who knew my dad demanding that we go to every random museum within a hindered mile radius of our road trips when I was a kid would come in handy!

I guess you took a lot of trips to The Hinderland.

• LOL 5
14 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I guess you took a lot of trips to The Hinderland.

Well that was obviously a typo but he did Make us go to the Hinterland museum in Germany so I guess it was accurate. 

• LOL 4