Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

49 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Why do they allow mispronunciations but don't cut you any slack if you omit an "s" at the end to pluralize a certain word?

Given the context, singular versus plural could make one answer correct and the other not correct.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'm sure they asked, but I do give props to Johnny and Alex for pronouncing "Henrico" correctly.  Even some of our local news readers here in Virginia have screwed that one up.

I guess this goes along with how many times they have mispronounced Powhatan! Since I grew up in Hanover which is next door to Henrico, I never thought of how to say it! It is Hen-rye-co. Just looked it up on Wiki Named after the Citie of Henricus, Henrico was organized in 1634 as one of the eight original Shires of Virginia. It is one of the United States' oldest counties. Things I never knew about the county next door!!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Why do they allow mispronunciations but don't cut you any slack if you omit an "s" at the end to pluralize a certain word? Sometimes their "rules" are arbitrary.

How does one pronounce Henrico? I heard something, but it was garbled on our TV.

Their rules are that if your pronunciation would change the way a word is spelled, then it's wrong.  Mill-ne, could be spelled Milne, so it's correct.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ right.  I miss Blockbuster.

I don't (they didn't understand alphabetization goes beyond the first letter, which always pissed me off...get off of my lawn!) and libraries are cheaper. But my youngest and her boyfriend took a trip to the last store just for yucks. So there's no way I would have missed it.

12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Duhhhhh...for FJ, I said Toys R Us. Heck, I forgot Blockbuster even existed. I didn't do too badly in Jeopardy (well, too badly for me ☺). 

See - you're the reason they went away! 😉

9 hours ago, lb60 said:

Pooh: "Wait! That's not how you pronounce Milne."

Me: "They still gave her credit."

Pooh: "Oh, bother! Where's my honey?"

Me: "Silly old bear."

Seriously, though. That annoyed me (us).

I'm happy for the new champ. He seemed bummed when he missed Caribbean because he forgot the category.

FJ=instaget.

That endeared her to us in our household. Milne was my husband's favorite author as a child - and until recently he always pronounced it the same way, because that's what his youthful mind decided the pronunciation would be. So he was happy to hear someone else did the same.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

So, how does one pronounce Powhatan?

Yup - I'm the reason Blockbuster went bust!  I think I only went a few times (cause they never had movies I liked).  Actually, even FIOS doesn't have movies I like.  *Nobody* has movies I like.  Never mind. I'd crawl back into bed right now but gotta run errands. Ta!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Their rules are that if your pronunciation would change the way a word is spelled, then it's wrong.  Mill-ne, could be spelled Milne, so it's correct.

It's the other way around.  In FJ  it's okay to misspell words unless the misspelling would change the way a word is pronounced and then it is wrong.

I am surprised anyone of her age would not know how Milne is pronounced but I think it was okay to accept it.

My only ts was iron curtain.

I knew FJ was the video rental place but the name just wouldn't come to me. I don't think we ever used it.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Trey said:

It's the other way around.  In FJ  it's okay to misspell words unless the misspelling would change the way a word is pronounced and then it is wrong.

I think it works both ways.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, ABay said:

got FJ even though I was sure I'd heard that the last BB was in alaska, not Oregon.

There were two in Alaska which was what originally John Olivier covered but they closed in 2018, leaving the one in Bend. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Duhhhhh...for FJ, I said Toys R Us. Heck, I forgot Blockbuster even existed. I didn't do too badly in Jeopardy (well, too badly for me ☺). 

I read an article on the internet a couple of months ago about the only remaining Blockbuster.  I also read about the Zanzibar war two weeks ago.  Otherwise I'd probably have gone with Madagascar.

Something about the new champ bugs me, but I'm not sure what.  Maybe I'll figure it out tonight, or maybe it won't bug me anymore.  He did mount an impressive comeback from the first round, I'll give him that.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Yup - I'm the reason Blockbuster went bust!  I think I only went a few times (cause they never had movies I liked).  Actually, even FIOS doesn't have movies I like.  *Nobody* has movies I like.  Never mind. I'd crawl back into bed right now but gotta run errands. Ta!

What movies do you like?

4 hours ago, opus said:

What movies do you like?

Hmmm. That movie produced by Roman Polanski...Ghostwriter? A lot of English movies (can't think of the titles right now, darn--oh wait, Enchanted April is one).  Gosford Park. The movie about Brits working at Bletchley Park trying to break the Engima code (maybe the title was Enigma?).  That movie George Clooney starred in, Michael something. 

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Hmmm. That movie produced by Roman Polanski...Ghostwriter? A lot of English movies (can't think of the titles right now, darn--oh wait, Enchanted April is one).  Gosford Park. The movie about Brits working at Bletchley Park trying to break the Engima code (maybe the title was Enigma?).  That movie George Clooney starred in, Michael something. 

Those aren’t too bad. The way you were talking, I was expecting something really obscure. Like 1950’s subtitled Italian horror films. Or a good Pauly Shore movie.

• LOL 6

FJ was so obvious after the answer was revealed.  I said North by Northwest, but I knew it was wrong by the dates.  I was concentrating on north, south, east, west, and left and right and obviously got nowhere with that.

The  only TS I got was badminton.

I got the entire Disney and Books categories right.  But, I didn't do so well in DJ.

Good for me!  I got another FJ right.  I almost feel like I might possibly redeem myself after my abysmal showing last week. 

Unfortunately, I was distracted for most of the show, so I wasn't able to write down any TS that I got.  It didn't seem like there were very many, though.  I did see enough of the first bit of the second round to see that the end guy seemed to be very very slow in picking clues.  And New Champ needs to learn how not to ask for the entire category name for dollar amount please Alex.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

FJ was so obvious after the answer was revealed.  I said North by Northwest, but I knew it was wrong by the dates.  I was concentrating on north, south, east, west, and left and right and obviously got nowhere with that.

The  only TS I got was badminton.

I got the entire Disney and Books categories right.  But, I didn't do so well in DJ.

I said "North by Northwest" also, although I knew that the dates weren't correct(North by Northwest was the 1950s), but I did not know "Cukoo's Nest" came from a Nursery rhyme. I enjoyed the Disney clues, I knew all of them 🙂

• Love 2

Ugh! I do not like the new champ and I missed a FJ that I should have gotten. I love that movie. 

27 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Either I'm taking up space in your brain or you're taking up space in mine. I did the exact same thing.

• Love 3

I actually knew the person who invented pickleball growing up because he lived next door to my uncle and it was very popular in the Seattle area when I was growing up.

The Disney category was so ridiculously easy! I haven’t only seen Mary Poppins of all the films and none of the stage shows and ran the category.

I adored Elyse’s dress, though probably only wear the pattern as a skirt.

FJ took me a second but I got it. 

• Love 2

For some inexplicable reason, "One flew over the cuckoo's nest" immediately popped into my head for FJ, and I was *certain* I was wrong. Why would there be a nursery rhyme about a goose flying over a cuckoo's nest? And that's not really a 'direction' anyways. I was pretty sure the year was right for the movie and I knew it was based on a book, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

But then as soon as Alex said "One flew east, one flew west..." it definitely rang a bell somewhere deep within the recesses of my brain. Apparently I have heard the rhyme before and somehow made the connection, all without being conscious of it.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I said "North by Northwest" also, although I knew that the dates weren't correct(North by Northwest was the 1950s), but I did not know "Cukoo's Nest" came from a Nursery rhyme. I enjoyed the Disney clues, I knew all of them 🙂

I was stuck on directions first. Then I concentrated on the dates - focusing on 1975 for movies - which somehow led me to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

9 hours ago, secnarf said:

For some inexplicable reason, "One flew over the cuckoo's nest" immediately popped into my head for FJ, and I was *certain* I was wrong. Why would there be a nursery rhyme about a goose flying over a cuckoo's nest? And that's not really a 'direction' anyways. I was pretty sure the year was right for the movie and I knew it was based on a book, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I was convinced I was wrong the entire time - I never heard the rhyme, so far as I know.  Once Alex started reading the rhyme, I saw how it the phrase fit in, but it didn't ring any bells.

I got the entire Disney and Books categories right.

Me, too, re Disney and Books, though I can't brag about Disney. It was teen...little kid easy, once they showed scenes.

For FJ I said...wait for it...East of Eden, which I knew was wrong, but J! has used it in a book category mega-times (not in a "female" or "women" authors category, you understand--that they reserve for Austen or Alcott). Didn't they even use East of Eden during the TOC?

• Love 1

Ha!  On pain of getting the side-eye from my cat again, this is the relevant stanza.

Intery, mintery, cuttery corn.

Apple seed and apple thorn.

Wire, briar, limber lock.

Three geese in a flock.

One flew east and one flew west,

And one flew over the cuckoo's nest.

Edited by Ava
  • Useful 4
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Disney category was too freaking easy. You could have done that blindfolded and not miss one wrong answer.

Well, maybe you could...

Actually though, I did get them all right.

6 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Disney category was too freaking easy. You could have done that blindfolded and not miss one wrong answer.

I basically did, as I read the clues on the archive rather than watching the game, and thus couldn't see the clips.  Even though I am not generally a Disney fan, and haven't seen any of the plays and only seen one of them - Mary Poppins - as a film, those were indeed all instagets.

So was FJ, even though I never knew the title came from a nursery rhyme; the dates and "direction" were somehow enough to bring it instantly to mind.

• Love 1

That must be a pretty obscure nursery rhyme. I said Up the Down Staircase with no hope at all that it was correct. I just couldn't picture those geese walking up and down the wrong staircases.

I did get the ts of badminton and the missed dd of hurricane - poor guy who missed that one, you could see how frustrating it was for him, trying to think up some sort of disaster. 

I too loved Elise's dress.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I hated the Disney category.  I can’t stand anything Disney, and that category was a time suck.  Instaget FJ!  On a shallower note, I loved Elise’s dress.

I did too.

6 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Me, too, re Disney and Books, though I can't brag about Disney. It was teen...little kid easy, once they showed scenes.

For FJ I said...wait for it...East of Eden, which I knew was wrong, but J! has used it in a book category mega-times (not in a "female" or "women" authors category, you understand--that they reserve for Austen or Alcott). Didn't they even use East of Eden during the TOC?

I'm operating only on a few hours sleep, so forgive me if I'm missing the joke, but why would a women's category have anything to do with East of Eden? But, a reasonable guess, as I think the tv mini series was around 1975.

15 minutes ago, Trey said:

I did get the ts of badminton and the missed dd of hurricane - poor guy who missed that one, you could see how frustrating it was for him, trying to think up some sort of disaster. 

Badminton wasn't a TS, it was another missed DD by Dave.  Had I been watching him flounder and fail to come up with either one (rather than just reading the "uh"s and ellipses on the archive), I'd have probably cringed in second-hand embarrassment for him.  Because you just know he'd get both of those if he was playing at home. 

• Love 2

For no reason that I can explain, I actually got FJ tonight.  It was really a guess, but the only other person I could think of was Grant, and I knew that couldn't possibly be right, so Sherman it was.  Hey, and it's an asterisk, too!

Poor Michael Collins -- always "the third one."  I got him, as well as oblique, and Lot's wife, though I wondered if that would be accepted or if she had an actual name.

• Love 6

I saw a Blockbuster store in Italy. It surprised me so that I commented on it to my travel companion. 

That was nice that Austin Rogers was at the taping although I laughed at his royal wave. I got the DDs, but missed FJ. Congratulations to those that did. 

• Love 4

Mr. Zoey knows a lot about presidential matters, so when he said Sherman, I went with that.  

Yes, when I see a question where a person is asked for, I always try to think of a name.  I don't know if Lot's wife is named, though.

I liked Elise's clothes today, too.  I wouldn't feel comfortable in a bright print like that, but she looks great in them.

• Love 5