Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

35 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Spoiler alert: The dog is killed in Rear Window.

😞  You can buy a shirt that says "I don't care who dies in a movie as long as the dog lives."

Rear Window was just a guess for me.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I am not happy that I didn't get FJ. When the category was revealed, I confidently wagered it all. When we see the clue, I was immediately stumped, then my mind was jumping all over the place, then it figured Hitchcock was the director, then for some reason I came to "The Trouble With Harry," then I gave up.

2 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I was right there with you Peeayebee on FJ.  Once I landed on Trouble with Harry, I couldn't clear my head for anything else, even while trying to run a Hitchcock rolodex through my brain.

I was named after Shirley MacLaine's character in "TTWH". 

I watched a show about Alfred Hitchcock, and the point was made how he built up suspense in "Rear Window" by focusing on what was going on outside of Jimmy Stewart's window. For whatever reason that made an impression on me, so FJ was an instaget. 

• Love 2

"Staves" was the only TS that also stumped me - I just could not pull the word from my brain! - but "the land of the free" was the only TS that really surprised me.  "Tent maker" had me yelling "Come on, Omar the Tent Maker!" at the screen, and "teak" is something I'd have thought a contestant would at least guess, but that was my well, I'd have lost money on that prediction clue. 

(And who says TV isn't educational; the only reason I knew Pallas was an asteroid was an episode of Major Crimes.)

I watched Rear Window a year or two ago for the first time in decades, so FJ was instaget.  I'm pretty sure I'd have come up with it regardless, but I'm also certain it wouldn't have come so quickly.

5 hours ago, Bastet said:

and "teak" is something I'd have thought a contestant would at least guess, but that was my well, I'd have lost money on that prediction clue. 

I guessed bamboo, and I was absolutely sure I was right.  I kill myself sometimes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm with you. I figured it was a Hitchcock but couldn't remember a digging dog, although Hitchcock owned Sealyham Terriers and they appeared in several of his films. Rear Window is one of my favorites, and I've seen it multiple times. So big DUH to me. My FJ scores continue to talk binary this week.

Spoiler alert: The dog is killed in Rear Window.

I remembered the digging dog and the murder, but not the scantily clad dancer. But I still got it - not quite an IG, and not particularly confident. Hitchcock didn't even enter my mind.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I guessed bamboo, and I was absolutely sure I was right.  I kill myself sometimes.

At least you didn't say balsa. I'm not sure I'd want to drive (or walk) over a bridge made of balsa.

BTW - you guys are hilarious. I haven't hit so many laugh reactions in one perusal of the forum before.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

"Tent maker" had me yelling "Come on, Omar the Tent Maker!" at the screen

My late husband, who was overweight, used to say he bought his clothes from Omar the Tent Maker.

and "teak" is something I'd have thought a contestant would at least guess

I was stuck on koa wood, which grows only in Hawaii, and then banyan came to mind, though I don't think I've ever heard of anything made of banyan wood.

33 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

At least you didn't say balsa. I'm not sure I'd want to drive (or walk) over a bridge made of balsa.

That was my reaction, too. :D

I'm surprised a few of us came up with The Trouble With Harry. I thought that was a more obscure Hitchcock film.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 10/28/2019 at 8:00 PM, Browncoat said:

I knew "The Giants win the pennant!  The Giants win the pennant!" from an episode of MASH.

My Dad was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan so I was raised on how horrible a moment that was in history.  He did not enjoy that episode of MASH 🙂  Heh, except when Charles took a knife to the screen while they were watching the game. 

• LOL 4

Ohhh well ..I just have to be glad (again) that I wasn't a contestant last night. At least I got a TS...stave (& I too was yelling the word at the TV) + a few others, like Jack o' lantern. It's weird though. No one watches Jeopardy with me, except the cat, and yet after I say what I think is the right answer & then learn I'm waaaay off base, I look around & shrug with embarrassment. Such a goofball am I.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

BTW - you guys are hilarious. I haven't hit so many laugh reactions in one perusal of the forum before.

Thank you. We'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waiter.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, suebee12 said:

When I saw the FJ category, I immediately thought of Psycho...but as soon as I saw the answer, I knew Rear Window right away!!! One of my favorite Hitchcock movies of all time!!

I've never seen Rear Window, so nothing in the clue helped me at all.  I had no answer for FJ.

16 hours ago, peeayebee said:

For the Omar Khayyam clue, for some reason tent maker came to mind right away, but then I wondered about rug maker (forgetting the category).

I missed the category and so said "Storyteller" instead.  Which is doubly stupid because I've heard jokes about Omar the Tentmaker before.

• Love 2

Because, dogs, I did a search and found dogs have been featured in nine of Hitchcock's films. And I found a pic of the scene in The Birds I remember most clearly because it's Hitchcock with his own Sealys. They were quite the popular breed in that era.

Cameo-Birds-295px.jpg.fe527fbc252710580dbd5eaf4b7167cd.jpg

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I loved Alex's little joke: "Is he still talking about karaoke?"

That may be the raunchiest thing I've ever heard Alex say...and I loved it.  

• Love 6

I got FJ.  It was honestly the first thing that popped into my mind, and I decided it sounded good and didn't bother to think any more on it.  Probably good or I would have changed my answer to something stupid.

I got butterfly, Beta-carotene, something I can not for the life of me read but it looks like plhess, and Andromeda.  I got the entire categories of Historical Rhetorical and Sports Talk (believe it or not) right and no categories completely wrong.  So, a pretty good night, although DJ wasn't so hot. 

Seriously, that other TS is going to drive me nuts.  Plhess isn't even a word.  

ETA: It's illness.  I really should be a doctor. If only I were good at science and not super scared of things like blood and needles.

Edited by Katy M
  • LOL 5

Well, here's yesterday's post that I apparently forgot to submit: I got sinker, QEII, and staves, but I did not get FJ.  I also figured it was Hitchcock, but couldn't drag Rear Window out of my brain in time.  Oh well!  And after such a good start to the week yesterday!

And today's post, that I hope I'll remember to submit!  No idea what happened yesterday. 

I had a big fat nothing for FJ today, too.  None of the hints helped me in the slightest, either.  Boo, hiss.

I did like the "good for you" story -- although I think our way of using it as a drinking game is much better.

And while I wasn't able to come up with Wellington, I did get quite a few TS, including butterfly, Provo, curiosity, emotional, beta-carotene, and dugong. 

• Love 2

I was expecting Steve to call it their drinking game. Maybe he didn't want to annoy Alex (who didn't seem to enjoy that little story). Well...another rough night on Jeopardy for moi. More "know nots" than "knows". I was glad to get Maginot line, TS verklempt (thanks Linda Richman of Cawffee Tawk!), medallions, a capella, and some others. Did Dave pronounce zaftig as zuftig? That's what I heard but Alex immediately said "zaftig, good". 

• Love 3

I thought of this thread with the interview about the Good For You game. I wonder if he reads here.

Plhess = A person who is good at science while being super scared of blood and needles.

• LOL 7

For some reason, I started in Australia for FJ. I quickly hopped over to New Zealand. Hmm, how about Wellington? Time's up. I win! Yay for starting in the right part of the world.

I also got butterfly. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Got Wellington instantly! Yea, me!

I thought that the flamingo question was the longest question ever! It seemed to go on forever and then no one got it correct!😥

I ran the college category but it helped that my son went to Berkeley and living in Mississippi I know the SEC.

Edited to note that the champion really goes for it in Double Jeopardy...he starts at the bottom and charges forward! I really like him!!

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 3

I got butterfly and Under the Volcano. For FJ, at first I was stuck in the Civil War and tried to figure out what city would suddenly become a capitol at the end of the war. Well, that didn't make any sense, then for some reason Wellington came to me.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Whoa! Four gfy's today (the first guy got two), AND the current champ talked about how he & his wife watch for gfy "triple crowns".

Good for everyone!

I was thinking of you folks when he was telling that story!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I thought of this thread with the interview about the Good For You game. I wonder if he reads here.

Plhess = A person who is good at science while being super scared of blood and needles.

Plhess?  I need to tell my stepdaughter about this.  She wanted to be a doctor but can't stand being around blood and people's physical pain (not sure about needles) so she became a psychologist.

Geez...the Wellington clue? I kept thinking "it's a W name...but what?"  I guess the only Jeopardy game I could win would be the one on SNL🧐

• LOL 2

Being a fan of college sports definitely makes the colleges & universities categories easier.  I was a little surprised Fayetteville was a TS, with Little Rock ruled out, as the universities asked about are usually in cities a decent percentage of people have heard of, and there just aren't that many of those to choose from in Arkansas.  I guess the same thing could be said about Utah for the Provo TS, but for some reason it didn't stick out to me in the same way that no one else took a stab at it after Salt Lake City was ruled out.

Another mild surprise is that no one even took a guess at which stroke comes third in the medley relay; there aren't all that many to choose from.  Maybe all three of them just don't know swimming at all, or didn't put together that it was even referring to swimming to begin with.

There were a lot of TS tonight, several more of which were also mildly surprising to me - range, curiosity, emotional, beta-carotene, and illness - but I think what's really surprising is that in a game with a dozen TS, I didn't find any of them truly surprising or have an overall sense that this was a bad game.

Thanks to Seinfeld, I cannot help but want to say "the Moops" whenever the answer is the Moors.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 2
18 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I thought that the flamingo question was the longest question ever! It seemed to go on forever and then no one got it correct!😥

The mister and I both yelled out "shrimp!" and then when they said shrimp in the clue, it took us a few beats to get to the right answer.

17 hours ago, Bastet said:

Another mild surprise is that no one even took a guess at which stroke comes third in the medley relay; there aren't all that many to choose from.  Maybe all three of them just don't know swimming at all, or maybe even in the stress of the game didn't put together that it was even referring to swimming to begin with.

I spent most of the time wondering how butterfly fit in with the medley relay because I was thinking track, not swimming. Had some amusing images before the penny finally dropped.

I got Wellington despite not being well versed in naval heroes.  I mean, if the clue had been "had a beef dish and a colonial capitol named after him" then it would have been an instaget). So I wasn't confident and spent most of the time thinking I was wrong, and New Zealand had a different capitol.

Edited by Clanstarling
As it turns out (surprise) Wellington wasn't a naval hero, just a military one. Mea Culpa
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I mean, if the clue had been "had a beef dish and a colonial capitol named after him" then it would have been an instaget).

If the clue included "a beef dish and rubber boots", then I would have been golden.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And while I wasn't able to come up with Wellington, I did get quite a few TS, including butterfly, Provo, curiosity, emotional, beta-carotene, and dugong. 

I didn't get FJ because for some reason I thought the clue said "naval hero", when, upon review of the tape, it clearly did not.  D'oh!

• Love 1
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Plhess?  I need to tell my stepdaughter about this.  She wanted to be a doctor but can't stand being around blood and people's physical pain (not sure about needles) so she became a psychologist.

Maybe not since my post was a joke about Katy M's handwriting.

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Being a fan of college sports definitely makes the colleges & universities categories easier.  I was a little surprised Fayetteville was a TS, with Little Rock ruled out, as the universities asked about are usually in cities a decent percentage of people have heard of, and there just aren't that many of those to choose from in Arkansas.  I guess the same thing could be said about Utah for the Provo TS, but for some reason it didn't stick out to me in the same way that no one else took a stab at it after Salt Lake City was ruled out

I got Berkley - that's about it.

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

There were a lot of TS tonight, several more of which were also mildly surprising to me - range

I said pasture - got hung up on the grazing animals and forgot the mountains.

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I got Wellington despite not being well versed in naval heroes.  I mean, if the clue had been "had a beef dish and a colonial capitol named after him" then it would have been an instaget). So I wasn't confident and spent most of the time thinking I was wrong, and New Zealand had a different capitol.

Wellington wasn't named after a naval hero.  Arthur Wellesley, who became the Duke of Wellington, was the general of the British and Allied army which defeated Napoleon at Waterloo.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:
8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Wellington wasn't named after a naval hero.  Arthur Wellesley, who became the Duke of Wellington, was the general of the British and Allied army which defeated Napoleon at Waterloo.

Well, as I said, I wasn't well versed. Probably connected "wet" (and thus naval) with the kinds of boots @saber5055 mentioned. 😄

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 3

I got FJ.  I knew for a fact the book wasn't the Grapes of Wrath, and I thought it might be East of Eden, but I didn't know.  Then again, that wasn't the question, so it didn't matter.

For TSs, I got Adam, stonewalling and Brawny.  I almost got Haymarket but I said Haystack.  Killing myself yet again.

I got all the New Testament category right and no category all wrong.  I actually had a pretty good night.

• Love 4

Well, there was a tornado warning in the viewing area of my local station -- nowhere near me -- so Jeopardy! was pre-empted by the weather folks.  They even just said, "Oh, let's stay on just a couple more minutes.  The next program starts in two minutes, and there's no point in going back to Jeopardy! now."

So I have no idea about the whole game, but I looked up FJ on The Jeopardy Fan.  I had to think about it for a second (probably distracted by the severe weather), but got it.  Jeopardy! does love Steinbeck.  I guess somebody has to, since I can't stand him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

We've been in a tornado watch too. Put out a big bin of 200 candies w/ a sign to take 3 pieces each. One hour later the door bell rings. All the candies are gone...and there weren't many kids out. So much for the honor system in this  'hood.

So, back to Jeopardy. I only got 2 in the Bible section. Got several others. Hey...I thought Alex was asking for the way those people said vigor, so I wrote down vigahhhh in the Boston style. But I got FJ:  Steinbeck & who cares that I was thinking of the dust bowl & the Grapes of Wrath. So sorry to see Steve go. I liked him. All 3 contestants tonight were nice people.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I got Steinbeck for FJ, but like the middle contestant, I assumed it was from Grapes of Wrath.

Ditto Ditto Dumpling. I thought Grapes of Wrath because of all the weather talk, so good the title wasn't asked for. I've not read a single Steinbeck, that I remember anyway. Today I broke my FJ's binary speak, so yeay my brain.

I hope everyone is safe from tornadoes. Here we celebrated the day with six inches of snow and a record-setting 20-degree high. All the small towns postponed trick or treat, although I live so far out I'm not affected.

I remember when I was a kid trick or treating, one house put out a box of full-sized candy bars with a sign "Take one only." The box was emptied in seconds. And before I got there! There is no honor ...

• Love 2

I got three of the bible clues, but only because they made it easy by choosing things like "oh ye of little faith" and "physician, heal thyself" (which I never even knew came from the bible).

Stonewall and Haymarket were surprising TS.  Brawny a bit surprising, too.  The California TS was one of those that surprised me only in that no one else took a guess (of Oregon or CA after they knew Washington was wrong).

I didn't get "robust" because I was trying to think of something specific to coffee (which I don't drink), which ticked me off because I love language categories. 

And if I had been watching rather than reading the archive, I'm sure the contestant would have answered before I could have come up with Baum's name in the Oz flag clue.  I know very well who the author is, but today could somehow only mentally churn out Frank Braun?  Burns?  B-something.  What the hell is his name?! for several moments.

On the archive, the restless leg syndrome website is written as ris.org, not rls, so I was quite perplexed by that clue until I ignored that part and just focused on the rest of it.

Thank goodness for the Bringing Up Baby clue (one of my favorite films), because until then I'd only known one other movie (American Beauty) in the category.

Add me to the list of those who got Steinbeck, but by thinking it was from Grapes of Wrath.

• Love 2

I got the missed DD of Captain Nemo (he didn't even guess a name starting with 'N'!!!!) and ts Joseph Conrad. I hated that book so much, and I don't remember a thing about it, but I remembered the author!

I got FJ, but I didn't know what novel it was from.

Edited by Fex
  • Love 2

I got Yellowstone, Brawny, and FJ. Given the Halloween festivities at school today, I'm shocked I still know my own name.

#exhausted     

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Jeopardy! does love Steinbeck.  I guess somebody has to, since I can't stand him.

Same here.

• Love 4

Hope everyone stays safe and sound in the ghoulish Halloween weather.  Here we have just had rain all day but they are threatening snow tonight.  I was sure on Steinbeck for FJ and reasonably sure of East of Eden based on the reference to the 1950s in the clue (mainly based on the dates the movies of both novels).  

I was sad Father Brown was a TS.  It has become one of my favorite cozy mystery series recently.

• Love 3

Wow, I wish I could watch the show given so many of the TSs here are my favorite things ... Father Brown, Yellowstone (I heart Kevin Costner and the place), Brawny (towels?) and Joseph Conrad ... Heart of Darkness? I did a college paper on that book! (The Daily Motion link locks up every time, can't make it through the first few minutes.)

• Love 2

I got Yellowstone, Father Brown (I love the show, too, Grundoon59), California, How to Train Your Dragon, and Joseph Conrad. Instead of Hadrian's Wall I said Hagrid's Wall.

I got FJ, but I wasn't certain about Steinbeck. I knew it couldn't be from The Grapes of Wrath because the Henry Fonda movie was from 1940. I didn't even try to think of another book. The movie Chinatown came to mind, but I knew that was an original screenplay. I couldn't come up with a different author, so I stuck with Steinbeck.

• Love 4

FJ was an IG, including the correct novel. I felt like Alex must have known it was East of Eden when he read the clue but I still thought it was douchey for him to put her on the spot when it wasn’t the question! 

• Love 1

The date of 1952 and the mention of the word "valley" in the clue told me that FJ was East of Eden.  The first chapter of that novel is nothing but a description of the Salinas Valley.  I agree that it was kind of...let's say, unbecoming...of Alex to do the whole "Didja know the right novel?" thing.  I would have loved it if she had said, "Why, it's East of Eden, of course.  What else?"

• Love 4
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I remember when I was a kid trick or treating, one house put out a box of full-sized candy bars with a sign "Take one only." The box was emptied in seconds. And before I got there! There is no honor ...

There's no honor in free candy. 😉

12 hours ago, Fex said:

I got the missed DD of Captain Nemo (he didn't even guess a name starting with 'N'!!!!) and ts Joseph Conrad. I hated that book so much, and I don't remember a thing about it, but I remembered the author!

I got FJ, but I didn't know what novel it was from.

I got Nemo from a former husband's collection of all things submarine, not from the book.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Wow, I wish I could watch the show given so many of the TSs here are my favorite things ... Father Brown, Yellowstone (I heart Kevin Costner and the place), Brawny (towels?) and Joseph Conrad ... Heart of Darkness? I did a college paper on that book! (The Daily Motion link locks up every time, can't make it through the first few minutes.)

Yeah, I missed Conrad, though I'd read the book.

Steinbeck was my jam, and I used to live close to the Salinas Valley, so it was an instaget - the book came to me a few seconds later.

• Love 2