Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Alex...are you getting snarky too? 

Getting snarky?

Maybe, since he now wears a hairpiece, the guys had been talking about it before cameras rolled and it wasn't as insensitive as it sounded.  But this is Alex, so it's also entirely possible it was.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Ugh, Alex. How can you not be a fan of the Phillie Phanatic? He's only the best mascot in all of sports. Plus, he's from the Galapagos Islands. You like the Galapagos Islands. 

<sigh>

I wonder what his thoughts are on Gritty.

Dancin' in Philly!

Anyway, I got Madrid and Christian Science Monitor.

I said Congo for FJ. I would have been shocked if I turned out to be right.

23 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

We didn't hear "what is" before Brian's response of epidermis. It was DJ so he should not have been ruled correct. I was surprised there was no scoring change before FJ. 

Weird. I heard it clear as day.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

So, who won Friday's game?

Daryn had $14,200 going into FJ, bet and lost $10,601 and ended up with $3,599. He's a two-day winner of $21,799. Info from TheJeopardyFan. He guessed South Africa, the same as I did.

Did Trebek make fun of Daryn ONLY winning $3,599 in Friday's game? That would be right up his alley to do that.

• Love 2
On 10/20/2019 at 12:02 AM, lb60 said:

Ugh, Alex. How can you not be a fan of the Phillie Phanatic? He's only the best mascot in all of sports. Plus, he's from the Galapagos Islands. You like the Galapagos Islands. 

<sigh>

I wonder what his thoughts are on Gritty.

Dancin' in Philly!

Anyway, I got Madrid and Christian Science Monitor.

I said Congo for FJ. I would have been shocked if I turned out to be right.

Weird. I heard it clear as day.

That middle contestant's story irked me.  Ok great tough guy, you "almost threw him over the dugout".  Meathead.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, ErinV said:

That middle contestant's story irked me.  Ok great tough guy, you "almost threw him over the dugout".

What? Someone got in a fight with the Phillie Phanatic? (Remember, I can no longer watch the show so, of course, don't hear the interviews.)

16 minutes ago, WhoisMark said:

It may be a day behind though this user does uploads:

OMG it worked! I LOVE YOU! (Don't be freaked, I mean it in the very best way.) Being a day or two behind is better than not seeing the show at all. Yeay, I am so excited! Thank you thank you and ... thank you.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

I was waffling between Silver Springs and Golden.  I landed on Golden not that it mattered. I've never heard of Leadville, so I don't feel bad for missing.

I got Daniel Defoe and the 1930s.

I was doing pretty bad before the first commercial break.  I think I only got one of the music legends.

I have a vague recollection of having heard of Leadville, but I couldn't come up with anything tonight except for, "Someplace in Colorado".  Somehow I doubt that would have been accepted.

Too many TS tonight!  Some, like Glen Campbell, were surprising.  In addition to that one, I also got Duke Ellington, 1930s, tanager, and Jonathan Pryce.  I ran the T-birds category!

• Love 1

If they spotted me Lead and ville, I still would have gotten FJ wrong! Never heard of the place. I did figure it was a city in Co. Yay, me!

I did get Duke Ellington (Sousa? Really?) and Glen Campbell.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
49 minutes ago, Driad said:

The clue said "the ore" but lead is not an ore.  One ore of lead is galena.

I live not far from Galena, Illinois, an active iron ore mining town back when Ulysses Grant lived there. His house is still there, he is not. It's a great tourist destination.

I thought of Silverado for FJ because I really want to see that movie. Then I thought of Copper Mountain, I've skied there but don't remember much of a town. Lots of deserted mines around though. I thought of lead mining, but Galena (see above) doesn't have the national mining museum. (It does have a small one though.) Friends are graduates of the Colorado School of Mines, so I figured the answer was a Colorado town. Golden was a good guess, that's where the school is. (As is some brewery of some beer that never used to be sold east of the Rockies.)

Long story long, my FJ reign continues!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SHD said:

Guessing Sousa for Duke Ellington and thinking  granite was Formica...people, don’t do this to Alex!

A.men! Was that weird or what?  Very strange collection of brains tonight. And FJ? Where in the world is Leadville? (I said Silver City).  Sad to see Billy Bob's "son" lose. He looks so much like him (at least someone got the clue for Fargo!)

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Where in the world is Leadville?

I looked it up to see if I had been there. I've been close, but no cigar. Take 74 west out of Denver, ski a few slopes at Copper, then take 91 south about 40 minutes and you're there. Temp right now is 20F. My kinda place!

Here's the museum, which is known as The Smithsonian of the West (future J clue!) and what Leadville looks like. I'm packing my bags now. Ya'll can come visit me.

leadville.thumb.png.9bcef194d1ea2a1097d09e6debb4570d.png

668515587_museummining.jpg.92e9666bd2ee6d8bea291df028c3e5ad.jpg

• LOL 3

I couldn't believe no one knew Duke Ellington! Wow. Somehow made me visualize a time graph where people way down on the right don't know once common things on the left.

I also got Glen Campbell, Dafoe, tanager, and Pryce, on whom I developed a crush after Something Wicked This Way Comes. 

Oh, and the DD of George Orwell.

I also got FJ. Almost immediately I said Leadville but then thought it was too obscure for an FJ clue. I had forgotten that Molly Brown was from there. I actually visited there when I lived in Denver for a couple of years.

• Love 3

I had a sense no one was going to know Glen Campbell, and then got a little sad when I was right.  I was only reading the archive, so I couldn't see the photo, yet I still got Duke Ellington; that TS, on the other hand, I did not see coming (and certainly wouldn't have predicted the Sousa guess).

I also didn't need the photo to get granite, and cannot believe the first contestant to ring in said Formica!

Lewis and Clark for Mason and Dixon paled in comparison.

4 hours ago, Driad said:

Objection to FJ!  The clue said "the ore" but lead is not an ore.  One ore of lead is galena.

Not having any idea on FJ (other than it must be a city in Colorado), I said "Leadville" as a joke (kind of a Goliathtown-style answer), but then thought, wait, is lead an ore?  So I didn't even stick with my joke answer that would have turned out to be correct.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I knew Glenn Campbell, but I *said* John Glenn. Then, I erupted in peals of laughter because that was just stupid.  

I got granite right, but couldn't really care less about rock types.  So, it didn't really bother me at all that she said formica.  I actually said marble first until I counted the letters.

Lewis & Clark were explorers, but the area should have made it obvious it was Mason & Dixon.

Edited by Katy M
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Leadville...never heard of it. Even though I knew the place had to be in Colorado, my mind went to whether the main town in Bonanza had "silver" in it...then Silverado...then back to the burning Bonanza map...and then the game was over.

ETA: Even better: The Ponderosa was near CARSON City.

image.png.ada08e7541fe459aaa4d19cacea99673.png

Edited by ABay
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9

I would (probably) have gotten Leadville, since I lived in Colorado and once visited it. But I was still parsing the language when the mister violated our FJ rules and shouted out "Leadville!" And then profusely apologized. So I think I'll have to take an abstain for this one in the contest - as I can't be certain I would have gotten it because the old brain does fart now and then. I always associate Golden with Coors and the juvie jail, rather than mining, so that was out.

Speaking of which, I said Cab Calloway for the Duke. Not great - but at least it wasn't Souza.

I almost ran the birds - and since I know very little about them, I was very pleased with myself. My birding friend will be proud of me. (missed trumpeter swan)

• Love 2
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Then I thought of Copper Mountain,

That’s what my guess was for FJ. Once it got stuck in my brain I couldn’t unglue it. I got Duke Ellington, Glenn Campbell, and I ran the Canadian category (which surprised me for knowing the answers). I was just happy that they finished all the clues on the board. Mononita sounds like she has a very interesting job at NASA. 

• Love 2

I said Copper City, Montana - I overlooked the altitude of the place.  I'm still stunned over Formica®...and, ladies and gentlemen, that came from a rocket scientist. (As did J.P. Sousa).  I wasn't sure that was Pryce; I hadn't seen him since he got *that* old. (not intending to disparage.)

Hey! That map of the Ponderosa has autographs on it! I can read Lorne Greene & Dan Blocker, but the 3rd one is obscured by the map detail.

• Useful 1

Silver City...we drove through it on the way back to Reno from Lake Tahoe. It was so small I can't remember it, other than a few bldgs passed while driving up a mountain.  Re: the missed Mason-Dixon Line clue, I was shocked none of the contestants thought of it. Were none of them from the east?

26 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Re: the missed Mason-Dixon Line clue, I was shocked none of the contestants thought of it. Were none of them from the east?

It wasn't a TS, it was just that the first contestant to ring in said Lewis and Clark instead of Mason and Dixon (the second one got it right).

• Love 2

I had a great night.  Except for commas. The only comma clue I got was semicolon.  OK, didn't do so great with classical music either, but I ended up over 10,000 positive before FJ which I got right after changing my answer from Cher.

I got God, Venice and the 1812 Overture.

15 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

IMO, FJ was too easy. 1963 was a big hint

Yeah, if you just mention female music superstars with long careers who also act, Barbra Streisand, Cher, and Madonna will spring immediately to my mind.  But lead off with 1963, and I know exactly who it is.  Hey, at least the category wasn't Women Music Superstars.

The comma splice TS kind of surprised me; I was reading the archive, so couldn't see the visual clue, but still got it.  I knew the 10 million clue without seeing the visual, too, but that one didn't surprise me; I think there are plenty of contestants who wouldn't know what crore means or how digits are separated in India. 

The TS that surprised me most was symphony.  Also god, once religion (which was my first guess, too) was ruled out; it had to be something related to theology.

15 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

And I got bead (shocked as I don't know guns) & bivuoac (no idea how to spell it).  

Bivouac wasn't a TS; the first contestant to ring in got it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Joy to the world...I got FJ (can't believe the two guys picked Cher). IMO, FJ was too easy. 1963 was a big hint ("People"). And I got bead (shocked as I don't know guns) & bivuoac (no idea how to spell it).  

I guessed Cher, too, but wondered if 1963 was too early. Should've listened to that voice in my head!

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, Fex said:

I guessed Cher, too, but wondered if 1963 was too early. Should've listened to that voice in my head!

I just looked it up and Cher put out her first album I 1965, so going by the year, it wasn't a crazy guess. And since it was my until about 5 seconds until the time ran out, I feel the need to defend it.

• Love 3

Cher never occurred to me!  Aretha Franklin briefly passed through my thoughts, but I quickly decided she wouldn't really be considered an actress, so I dismissed her and came to Barbra in plenty of time. 

I also got comma splice, bead, and Tyne.  I don't think I got a single clue right in the classical music category.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, SHD said:

I’m not sure Female Music Superstars is any better.

It's no improvement on the sexism of such categories, but at least it avoids the grammar problem that usually also plagues them.

17 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I don't think I got a single clue right in the classical music category.

I was happily surprised to get three of those correct, as it's not a strong subject for me.

I did as poorly in the saints category as I'd have predicted, though; I only got Nicholas, because the December clue within the clue did indeed take me to St. Nick. 

I thought I was going to bomb the "A Tree Grows in Book Land" category, given how I started out, but I wound up the last few of those.

I liked the movie category, where you had to give the last word of the title, but I'd never even heard of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (quite the wordy title!), so I didn't get that one.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

at least the category wasn't Women Music Superstars.

1 hour ago, SHD said:

I’m not sure Female Music Superstars is any better.

I wouldn't mind the female if they'd also specify male.  It's as if the assumption or default is male when not otherwise specified.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 8