Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

It's the difference between two systems of romanization, Wade-Giles, and Pinyin, which replaced it - and which more accurately reflects how Mandarin sounds.  It took a long time, for a variety of reasons, many of which are political, but it eventually came to be spelled the "right" way in the U.S., so it's Mao Zedong.  Or you can just write "Chairman Mao." 🙂

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

I had a pretty good game - ran at least a couple of categories in each round. FJ was an instaget for me, but hubby thought of USSR, and said that even if China had occurred to him, he thought Mao was in power into the 80s, so wouldn't have been right either way. 

I got the Andrew Jackson DD due to the "take that to the bank" part of the clue. I missed the FJ about Hamilton replacing the foe to his legacy on the $10 bill, and Alex mentioned that it had to do with the national bank that Hamilton established. It wasn't a missed clue, I'm just happy that my brain actually retained that knowledge lol

Her Story. So much less condescending than Women Authors. Except not.

I was so hoping for a John Hancock clue.

• Love 5

Saber, have you tried getting a booster for your antenna? My neighbor has one because she put her antenna in a weird place. We share a common wall and she wasn't getting 5 of the  channels I was.

Of course, the alternative is to move nearer to a large city. Hahahahaha.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, SHD said:

Did they make any mention of the middle guy’s height? Don’t they put shorter contestants on boxes so that contestants look the same height? Did they not have boxes big enough to level them out? Maybe they should’ve dug a hole for tall guy to stand in.

If they tried to level me out with other contestants, my hands wouldn't reach the podium. 😄

As for the Titanic, it wasn't the obvious one to me. What was obvious was "The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner" - which I eventually got right. So I had a 50% success rate with that answer.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Or you can just write "Chairman Mao." 🙂

But if you go carrying pictures of him, you ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow. :-)

• LOL 10
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Saber, have you tried getting a booster for your antenna?

Oh wow, what a great suggestion, thank you so much. I looked them up and will get one when I go to town this weekend. Before, when I had all the stations, I would have to move the antenna if I wanted PBS, then move it again when I turned back to NBC or some other station. I'm 45 miles, give or take (mostly give), from the city where the stations originate; the FCC website says I should be getting all the stations. It doesn't say standing in the doorway and holding the antenna over your head will help, although it has in the past. (Very tiring, and hard to see the tv from there.)

Hugs to you, PW. Maybe there IS hope!

Still, so irritating that Sony won't let Jeopardy eps post online yet I can watch other network shows via web. What's up with that.

• Love 6

In last season's topic, we had a discussion of mnemonics for the planets and they all included Pluto. I just learned two new ones without Pluto:

Mary's Virgin Explanation Made Joseph Suspect Upstairs Neighbor

Moist Vagina Expected, Might Just Steam Up Nightly.

(In case you were wondering)

• LOL 4
7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

As for the Titanic, it wasn't the obvious one to me. What was obvious was "The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner" - which I eventually got right. So I had a 50% success rate with that answer.

It’s actually Rime of the Ancient Mariner.  

I thought Mao’s given name had been spelled Zhedong for a time.  Mao is the last (family) name.  Before reading the clue, I had no idea.  I misheard “sun” but now I don’t remember what I thought I heard.  Once I read the clue, I knew, though.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

It’s actually Rime of the Ancient Mariner. 

You know, I thought that was the spelling, but then I doubted my memory. It's been a very long time since I read it in college, and a few brain cells have departed since then.

• Love 1

I enjoyed Alex's Really, people?-style explanation of Canadian geography for the British Columbia TS.  Not so much his using Daryn's possible one shot at a J! interview to ask about James. 

First come, first serve was a little surprising as a TS, being spotted ordinal.  But Wait, There's More surprised me even more; I hadn't heard of the book, and my first guess was As Seen on TV, but once that was ruled out, I knew what it had to be.  I liked Alex's delivery.

1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I was disappointed that we didn't get all the way through the space category.

Me too, especially because I know a lot more about astronauts than I do magicians and the shows in the TV-Pourri category.  I loved the "ob"scure words category, though.

1 hour ago, secnarf said:

FJ should have been a $200 clue. It was way too easy.

Yeah, I thought the Andy Warhol clue was overvalued, and then FJ came along.  I've never seen the film or heard the soundtrack, but come on.

• Love 4

Someone won't be getting a 2 for 5 in the FJ contest this week.

<points to self>

That's right. Me!

Ridiculously easy FJ, but a win is a win. 

:-)

I also got Michael Cohen (shocked that was a TS).

36 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Not so much his using Daryn's possible one shot at a J! interview to ask about James. 

That was really annoying.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, lb60 said:

Not so much his using Daryn's possible one shot at a J! interview to ask about James.

I watched when Ken was on and I loved him(almost as much as I love James😉) but once he lost, was he mentioned as much? Maybe it is because of social media that his name keeps coming up?

His name keeps coming up because Alex keeps bringing it up.  And it drives me crazy.  He's not the end all be all, but you wouldn't know it from how Alex acts about him.  And he always calls him Jeopardy! James, rather than just using the man's actual name, Holzhauer.  

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I enjoyed Alex's Really, people?-style explanation of Canadian geography for the British Columbia TS.  Not so much his using Daryn's possible one shot at a J! interview to ask about James.

It both amused me and made me cringe because I didn't get it either. I've taken to using Nunavut as my go-to Canadian geography answer, which is bad, but I love the name so much I can't stop.

I focused on Madonna at first in FJ and was thinking Desperately Seeking Susan, but then when I actually READ the clue (date, language), I got it.

• Love 2

I was surprised last night that they kept going back to the lower value clues. If Ed instead had chosen the higher ones (finishing categories) then the game might not have been a runaway for Daryn. I got Michael Cohen, said As Seen On TV instead of But Wait, There’s More, and FJ. Didn’t really enjoy it last night except the OB category and the TV one (because I do too many tv crosswords). 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was surprised last night that they kept going back to the lower value clues. If Ed instead had chosen the higher ones (finishing categories) then the game might not have been a runaway for Daryn. I got Michael Cohen, said As Seen On TV instead of But Wait, There’s More, and FJ. Didn’t really enjoy it last night except the OB category and the TV one (because I do too many tv crosswords). 

Only if he got them right.  With that big of a lead, aren't the probabilities more towards the one in the lead getting the questions right, and/or buzzing in faster.

• Love 1
Just now, Katy M said:

Only if he got them right.  With that big of a lead, aren't the probabilities more towards the one in the lead getting the questions right, and/or buzzing in faster.

I guess James changed the way that I view Jeopardy. We’ll never know, but it’s a chance I would have taken especially since I do well in tv, books and the like categories. 

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was surprised about that myself. Even Pre-James there were players who hit the larger value clues to pump up their numbers.

24 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Getting it right is true for any clue, high or lower value, isn't it?

If the tactic is to select the lower value clues so the lead doesn't run away with it - that's just playing to lose. IMO, if you're not playing to win, why play. (then again, I'd be likely to Klaven it, so what do I know?)

In any case, it seems to me that if you're already bound to lose, why not take the risk of selecting higher value clues. The worst outcome is the one you already think is going to happen - you'll lose.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I was a little surprised that no one got Millard Fillmore.  Though, it might be they weren't sure what Jeopardy was regarding as a name that another President would ever have again. 

I don't think I even understood what the clue was saying.  So, I was just trying to remember who was before Pierce.  My first thougth went to Buchanan, but he was after, so then I said Polk.  I don't think I was far off, but I get the timeline of Presidents between Jackson through Lincoln somewhat mixed up.

• Love 2

I wonder if the former champ named his cat Frieda after the little girl with naturally curly hair from Peanuts - she was frequently seen carrying around a "boneless" cat draped over her arm.

I felt so stupid for FJ.  I knew what the movie was but I could not remember the correct name.  Crazy Rich Chinese People just didn't cut it.

I know I got a few ts's but the only one I can remember now is Cohen.

• Love 2

FJ was one of those If You Know It, It's Easy clues. I never heard of the movie, so I just shrugged and said the most recent American movie I've seen, "Cut Bank" (which was awful, considering all the great talent in it.)

I knew Fillmore. And like others, once "As Seen On TV" was ruled out, "But Wait...There's MORE!" was a given.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

It both amused me and made me cringe because I didn't get it either. I've taken to using Nunavut as my go-to Canadian geography answer, which is bad, but I love the name so much I can't stop.

I actually said "Nunavut" last night, which is a doubly embarrassing answer.  Not only does it not have a border with Alberta, it's also not a province!

I thought of "Wait, There's More" as a possible title for the book, and rejected it because it didn't have four words.  Adding "But" to the front of it never even occurred to me.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I actually said "Nunavut" last night, which is a doubly embarrassing answer.  Not only does it not have a border with Alberta, it's also not a province!

Thank you, knowing that I gave the same answer as you - even though it was an embarrassing one - makes me feel better. Puts me in pretty good company. 🙂

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Trey said:

I wonder if the former champ named his cat Frieda after the little girl with naturally curly hair from Peanuts - she was frequently seen carrying around a "boneless" cat draped over her arm.

I thought it might be named after Frida Kahlo, and that the cat had a prominent unibrow.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Damn it, I wanted to see all the astronaut clues!  Stupid slow contestants!

In reality, not a very good game.

17 hours ago, Katy M said:

I thought FJ was ridiculously easy.  I didn't even see the movie and I got it.

I aslo got He's Just Not that into you and First come first served.  

It took me a moment to get it.

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got "But Wait, There's More",

I knew what they were looking for, but couldn't quite come up with the correct phrase.

3 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I was a little surprised that no one got Millard Fillmore.  Though, it might be they weren't sure what Jeopardy was regarding as a name that another President would ever have again. 

I absolutely suck at presidential categories so I wouldn't have gotten that one in a million years.  I did get Jefferson and Harrison, though, so I felt good about it.

• Love 3

Another game where the contestant in 3rd would have won had she bet zero.  And she should have bet zero unless she was confident in the category -- I can't imagine anyone would have been confident with that category title.  I mean, if the category is 20th Century Women Authors, I can pre-guess some things.  But this one?  No idea.  And not only did I have no idea from the title, I had no idea what the correct response might be.  I randomly chose Rhodesia, even though I know there is no country called "Rhodesia" any more.  When I guessed that, I really couldn't remember what Rhodesia's name became.  However, after googling, I learned that Rhodesia is actually now Zimbabwe, so would I have gotten credit?

I for real got the TS of Madrid, larva, Christian Science Monitor, and laden.  I was surprised no one else rang in with Madrid after middle guy misspoke with Milan.

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

.  I randomly chose Rhodesia, even though I know there is no country called "Rhodesia" any more.  When I guessed that, I really couldn't remember what Rhodesia's name became.  However, after googling, I learned that Rhodesia is actually now Zimbabwe, so would I have gotten credit?

That was my thought process save I knew that the name had changed and got Zimbabwe on time. I don’t know if you would have gotten credit for Rhodesia, but I’d like to hope so for you. They have good wines btw. I cleared a few of the easy categories such as the cookie one (which is funny because I don’t eat them), Clue Ends and the biology one.

I liked the structure of the bridge from Viet Nam, but would have to google the name. I thought that Tollhouse was too easy for a DD and I cringed when Brian said Milan instead of Madrid. I also got the larvae stage, plague and fire, The Christian Science Monitor, and clan. 

I agree that Amanda should have bet zero. It’s a combination of things that make a good Jeopardy player. 

• Love 3

I liked Amanda's reaction to realizing the cookie DD was ridiculously easy.

There were quite a few really easy clues in that first round, which helped me run the table.  I was not nearly as successful in the DJ round, but I had a much easier time with the Words in Icelandic category than they did. 

I had the same trouble as Brian pulling The Sting out of my brain.  I instantly knew what it was, and could see scenes from it in my head, but the title was slow to come.

Add me to the list of those surprised no one came up with Madrid; Brian's mistake must have thrown them.  The larva TS surprised me, too.  I joined them in being stumped by The Christian Science Monitor, and then did a V-8 head smack when it was revealed; at least one of us should have come up with that!

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

However, after googling, I learned that Rhodesia is actually now Zimbabwe, so would I have gotten credit?

No, because the clue referenced two specific times in its history, both of which were well after it had become Zimbabwe.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I thought the whole thing was an April Fools Day joke, as Nunavut was created on April 1 1999, which was the year that I was learning about the provinces and territories in school. The maps at school weren't yet updated and I thought my teacher, who liked to have fun, was making up the territory of Nunavut.

I was so pleased to get FJ today when none of the contestants did. It so rarely happens for me! I did have a faulty thought process - I thought Mugabe died in 2018 and that was why they were applying to re-join (he died just over a month ago, but was President until 2017).

• Love 2

We didn't hear "what is" before Brian's response of epidermis. It was DJ so he should not have been ruled correct. I was surprised there was no scoring change before FJ. 

I said S. Africa for FJ. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

We didn't hear "what is" before Brian's response of epidermis. It was DJ so he should not have been ruled correct. I was surprised there was no scoring change before FJ. 

I said S. Africa for FJ. 

I read somewhere that sometimes the "what is" is edited out for time. It seems strange but they (some Jeopardy representative) said everyone who doesn't get dinged has actually said it.

• Useful 3
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

There were quite a few really easy clues in that first round, which helped me run the table.  I was not nearly as successful in the DJ round, but I had a much easier time with the Words in Icelandic category than they did.

No, because the clue referenced two specific times in its history, both of which were well after it had become Zimbabwe.

If we could see the word up on the screen during the questions, like the contestants, we'd do better. On the other hand, we got the answer for the clue when the contestant was clearly reading the board and trying to figure it out (and didn't).

I think they'd eventually accept Rhodesia if it weren't a FJ question - they've accepted answers with more of a stretch than that one.

That being said, I had no clue. I went with Ethiopia solely because of the Nobel Peace Prize and I thought the dates were somewhat similar. And even though I knew the UK had nothing to do with them. It's hard to keep track of all the despots past and present. (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

I was sure it was Nunavut. It should've been Nunavut. I demand that the judges make Nunavut the correct answer! It wouldn't be the weirdest call they've made.

I can't believe I got Zimbabwe right!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I randomly chose Rhodesia, even though I know there is no country called "Rhodesia" any more.  When I guessed that, I really couldn't remember what Rhodesia's name became.  However, after googling, I learned that Rhodesia is actually now Zimbabwe, so would I have gotten credit?

That's kind of like saying Leningrad instead of Petrograd or instead of St. Petersburg. It's all the same place. I know Zimbabwe used to be Rhodesia (home of Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs, used to kill lions!) so as the unofficial judge in my own mind, I rule you correct. I found this little gem that contains the details:

"From 12 December 1979, to 17 April 1980, Zimbabwe Rhodesia was again the British colony of Southern Rhodesia. On 18 April, Southern Rhodesia became the independent Republic of Zimbabwe."

Some years ago I used to get calls in the middle of the night from a fellow in Zimbabwe (Rhodesia!) who wanted to talk about certain breeds of dogs with me. I didn't mind since I'm guessing he could only call during his daytime, so when the phone rang at 2 a.m. I knew it would be him. He was a Brit ex-pat and very interesting.

• Love 6

Not a great game for me, just okay.  I got Christian Science Monitor and one of the Iceland clues.  I was very surprised the one contestant couldn't pull icicle out of Icelandic.

I was so sure Uganda was the FJ answer that I didn't think any more after I came up with it. 

• Love 2

I forgot to mention the other day that my head went sideways when Alex’s first comment was “At least one player has hair”. The hair belonged to the female player as both the guys were bald. I remember one was self conscious and put his hand to his head. Alex...are you getting snarky too? 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I forgot to mention the other day that my head went sideways when Alex’s first comment was “At least one player has hair”. The hair belonged to the female player as both the guys were bald. I remember one was self conscious and put his hand to his head. Alex...are you getting snarky too? 

He's always had the occasional snarky moment. I think he might be a little more focused on hair, or lack thereof, given his situation. 

But yeah, it was a little weird.

• Love 4