Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

27 minutes ago, SHD said:

I’m confused. The AK answer was referring to an AK-47 gun, in an Ice Cube lyric. Did someone in the game say something later about air conditioning?

Thanks for replying! Don't worry, it was me that was confused.  The clue was "Today I didn't have to use my this so it was a good day for ice cube."  I guess I didn't listen carefully and just put bits of the clue together and came up with AC.   I just made the mistake of googling ice cube and AK. 

By the way, did anyone notice that Alex slurred a few words?

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

But I did get Lanai, James Baldwin, and NY Yankees.

I knew the author Baldwin but my brain kept saying Alec Baldwin! If I'd been a contestant I would have given the last name only.

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, suebee12 said:

I wonder how many correct answers were given and how many unanswered answers there were?

According to TheJeopardyFan.com, 37 correct answers, 12 incorrect, 12 TSs, 9 clues and $8,000 left on the board.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

According to TheJeopardyFan.com, 37 correct answers, 12 incorrect, 12 TSs, 9 clues and $8,000 left on the board.

Thanks so much for the info! It seemed like less correct answers and several times the contestants were just standing there looking bewildered.

I would have liked to have seen the questions that were not uncovered...I like sports and music!

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

several times the contestants were just standing there looking bewildered.

But it let Trebek get some snark in about that TS football category from last season. So there's that plus. For him anyway. Thank goodness time was up right after he said that.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

While the episode once again happily coincided with halftime of the football game, I still opted not to watch in favor of prepping some ingredients for dinner.  Even just looking at the archive after the fact, this seemed to be a pitiful game - so many blank spaces, I initially wondered if I'd happened upon the site at a time when the game's clues were still in the process of being uploaded.

But, despite the number of clues left uncovered, it didn't seem like an unusual game in terms of TS.  Some of those were doozies, though.  By the time I read the clues, I'd had several drinks and become pissed off by the football game's outcome, and I still did better than the contestants!  In particular, the PGA Championship as a TS when you're spotted the "P" and asked to name a golf championship?  Seriously?! 

LOL at Alex having flashbacks, when Yankees was a TS in the Baseball Managers category, to the notoriously "duh, I don't know" response by contestants in a previous NFL category, but it was just one clue; if the game hadn't been so damn slow, and additional clues had been revealed, I wonder how the category would have gone.

FJ was an instaget, and I initially predicted all three would get it, then changed my mind based on the odd nature of the game.

I am not at all into nobility, but I'd have enjoyed seeing more of the "Song Royalty and Nobility" category revealed.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

LOL! I really felt badly about correcting you on Chagall and hesitated to do so. So I agree, you were thinking of "the other" C word.

Now you're just messing with me - because I'm crass, "the other" C word that came to mind was not Chopin. 😉

11 hours ago, Fex said:

I was especially frustrated that they only had one clue from the royal and noble music category! That sounds fun. 

As a non-American, non-sportsfan, I am shocked that the New York Yankees was a ts. If I know a sports answer, it is not difficult. 

All three contestants were guilty of not just saying the whole category, but saying the whole category with lengthy pauses. 🤯

I really wanted to see those clues too - especially since I shouted out "Duke of Earl" when they mentioned the category and it was the first one picked!

The mister felt the same way about the baseball managers category. Not me, I only "know" a couple (and I mean that loosely, I don't even know which teams they managed).

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Seriously, I'm bad with numbers, so I'm always getting the British monarch numbers wrong. Here I said George II.

I am too, but for some reason the fact that he was "our" King until the end of the American Revolution made that number stick. I think the only other one I'm firm on is Henry the Eighth, and the Elizabeths.

I was so excited that I got "Northwest Territories" that the mister and I practically high fived. Geography is not my strength, and for some reason, Canadian geography is just vague in my mind. They might as well write "here there be dragons" above our northern border, when it comes to my firm grasp of their geography. (I am ashamed...)

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

I missed FJ; all I could come up with was Great Plains.  🤔

I said "panhandle" at first, but then changed it to "Dust Bowl" based on the year in plenty of time to have written it down.  Should've come up with it sooner after watching Ken Burns' Country Music since it got mentioned a lot in the early episodes.

14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

but got the TS of (Tony) Lama boots

I saw something about Tony Lama boots on one of the evening news shows a couple of months ago (one of those things about products made in the US); otherwise I probably wouldn't have gotten that one.

That was a truly terrible game.  I really wanted to see all of the music category clues, and although I probably would've sucked at the baseball manager category, I wanted to know if Connie Mack was one of the answers.  I bet it was - he's one of those answers Jeopardy loves to use.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Seriously, I'm bad with numbers, so I'm always getting the British monarch numbers wrong. Here I said George II.

Given the date, the answer was obvious for me, but then I've done a lot of reading about the Regency period.

11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

James Baldwin

I answered Ralph Ellison, but knew it was wrong.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

In particular, the PGA Championship as a TS when you're spotted the "P" and asked to name a golf championship? 

I'll forgive the "US Open" answer, because at least it does move around from golf course to golf course.  But once that had been said, one of the other two should've been able to come up with the PGA Championship.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

really wanted to see those clues too - especially since I shouted out "Duke of Earl" when they mentioned the category and it was the first one picked!

I said Lady Madonna and King of Pain.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I said "panhandle" at first, but then changed it to "Dust Bowl" based on the year in plenty of time to have written it down.  Should've come up with it sooner after watching Ken Burns' Country Music since it got mentioned a lot in the early episodes.

I saw something about Tony Lama boots on one of the evening news shows a couple of months ago (one of those things about products made in the US); otherwise I probably wouldn't have gotten that one.

That was a truly terrible game.  I really wanted to see all of the music category clues, and although I probably would've sucked at the baseball manager category, I wanted to know if Connie Mack was one of the answers.  I bet it was - he's one of those answers Jeopardy loves to use.

I got Dust Bowl immediately because of Ken Burns' documentary too - but despite the fact that we're also watching the Country Music Documentary (nearly done) I got it mostly because the Dust Bowl documentary made such a big impact on me. It was just a phrase to me in history class; the documentary brought home what a nightmare it had really been.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Mr. Zoey has worn cowboy boots most of his life, so I know more about the subject than I ought to!  Tony Lama was an instaget for me.

A few years ago, I watched a movie called, "Harvesting the High Plains."  It was about managing available water for crops; this movie concentrated on wheat farming in Kansas, and the years following the drought and resulting dust bowl conditions.  Anyway, dust bowl immediately came to mind.   https://www.bakingbusiness.com/articles/24860-kansas-wheat-film-dust-bowl-trials-to-1940s-triumph

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Maybe I was thinking of Tony Romo.

Or Tony Roma, his restaurant is a great place for steak.

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Camus is the name of a very good red wine. It better be for $100 per bottle. 

That would be the perfect wine to bring when you are invited to Mr. Trebek's house for dinner.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3

Awful game. The high point was the Corgi picture, but then again a Corgi picture would be the highlight of pretty much anything.

TS I got were PGA Championship, hearing, Lanai, George III (Kevin's DD). I instantly said Dust Bowl for FJ based on the year, then thought about Midwest, but since I usually see that written as one word & the clue specifically said phrase, I stuck with Dust Bowl. GFM 🍹

I was disappointed that the Royal & Noble Songs category was left unfinished. Sounded like fun. And I admit to laughing at Alex's football joke. 

5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'll forgive the "US Open" answer, because at least it does move around from golf course to golf course.  But once that had been said, one of the other two should've been able to come up with the PGA Championship.

Except it was in the "P" category. 

• Love 6

Rats!  I completely blanked on FJ, ruining what should have been a perfect week.  Boo, hiss.  I have no idea what happened -- if I overthought it, or focused on the wrong part of the clue, or what, but absolutely nothing came to mind.

At least I got chock (with a photo!), peristaltic, and names.  I kind of got a little distracted in the beginning of the second round, though, so there might have been other TS that I *could* have gotten if I'd been paying attention.

Good to know that yesterday's game was as painful for Alex as it was for us.

• Love 4

My antenna dropped all five of my NBC affiliate channels today so no Jeopardy for me (or ever again it looks like) or any other NBC shows I watch. I can get FJ online so I have that. Counting on ya'll to fill me in on anything good.

Was that J! damage control when Alex tried to explain the game by saying "yesterday's game was rough, because the questions were tough."  If so, they weren't fooling anyone.

Hooray!  No more rocking!

• LOL 5

For FJ I said 1001 Arabian Nights. Is that wrong? I was surprised when the two contestants got it right without 'Arabian.'

The only TS I got was names. Instead of chock, I said wedge. It's possible the judges would have given it to me.

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

For FJ I said 1001 Arabian Nights. Is that wrong? I was surprised when the two contestants got it right without 'Arabian.'

The only TS I got was names. Instead of chock, I said wedge. It's possible the judges would have given it to me.

Correct FJ response was "One Thousand and One Nights" or "Arabian Nights". So yes, your response was not correct.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

The only TS I got was names. Instead of chock, I said wedge. 

I started off with wedge, but if I'm remembering correctly "wedge" was in the clue.  I know I changed my answer to chock.

I really wanted someone to write down 1001 Knights of the Round Table, just because my mind goes in weird directions sometimes, and I love it when the contestants give those mashed up or totally mad answers.

Edited by Brookside
  • LOL 4

Jeopardy used "1001 Arabian Nights" once in a clue (albeit 30 years ago), so they may very well have accepted it.

WORLD LITERATURE, $200

In "1001 Arabian Nights" Sinbad the Sailor took this many voyages

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

I was shocked that I git FJ right but between Syria and my knowledge of the otherness Of European literature made me randomly guess the correct answer thinking I was wrong and being told by others it was wrong I stood by it. This is why having no pressure for being wrong benefits those of us who only answer when sitting on our couches!

• Love 4

We have a new champion...Kara. On the leaving champ Kevin. Does anyone know why he catches bats? Is this as a sport or rescue situation?  The thought of him exhausting them to catch them brought up my animal rights feelings. 

For FJ I said Hannibal’s Code. I knew it was all kinds of wrong, but my friend went to Syria for a year to photograph the archeological dig that recovered them and it’s all I could think of. 

14B486AD-6272-43A1-9EEC-5E9E48E61DF0.thumb.jpeg.4175b2b87ceb535688199f6098807606.jpeg

His work is also displayed in the Museum of Natural History in NYC. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

What's the consensus?  Are we accepting 1,001 Arabian Nights as a correct FJ answer? I have always heard that title, or just Arabian Nights.

eta: it is being accepted as correct for the FJ contest, if anyone else was wondering.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2

For FJ I said Hannibal’s Code. I knew it was all kinds of wrong, but my friend went to Syria for a year to photograph the archeological dig that recovered them and it’s all I could think of. 

Hannibal was from Carthage in Africa. Did you mean Hammurabi's Code?

On Wednesday's game in the This is SU category Kevin correctly answered 'A 5 letter word for smoothly polite' as Suave. I admit my first response was Suck-Up... but that's more than five letters. I thought of Eddie Haskell; he tried to be 'smoothly polite,' but he sure wasn't suave!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

On the leaving champ Kevin. Does anyone know why he catches bats? Is this as a sport or rescue situation?  The thought of him exhausting them to catch them brought up my animal rights feelings. 

He said he waits until it gets tired of flying around and it lands, then he puts a box over it to capture it. My guess is one got in his house or attic and that's how he caught it, which is a vast improvement over batting it out of the air with a tennis racket. 

The pony express starting in St. Joseph, a triple stumper, was a clue/answer not too long ago. 

Only one clue left on the board this game. I hope the new champ calms down her ducking and weaving next week.

FJ= instaget!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

While I couldn't watch the show, I did see Friday's FJ online. I answered the Kama Sutra and stuck with that. No comments needed, but feel free to laugh.

Richard Francis Burton did an English translation of that, too. Scandalous! 😮

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 10/5/2019 at 11:10 AM, Gimmick Genius said:

I was unsure of FJ when the clue said "this work was introduced to Europe around 1700" because the famous translation that I'm aware of was by Sir Richard Francis Burton in the 1880s.

Based on what I've worked out via Wikipedia, most likely the clue was referring to the 1704 translation into French by Antoine Galland, which was the earliest European version.  The first English-language version was published anonymously in 1706, and was translated not from the Arabic, but from Galland's French text.

Burton's translation had the delightfully idiosyncratic title The Book of a Thousand Nights and a Night.  I wonder what would have happened if a contestant had written that? 🙂

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 4:29 PM, Toothbrush said:

Except it was in the "P" category. 

Oops, I didn't realize that.

I was out on Friday, had set my vcr for Jeopardy but not the reminder on my satellite box, so Thursday's craptastic game was the last one of the week for me.  Hopefully Friday's was much better.

• LOL 2

My gut response for today's FJ was mourning, but I considered it further and came up with the correct response in the nick of time.

I also got Clyde, yoga, and bail, and I'm not sad to have a new champ.  ZZ Top there in the middle made a nice comeback, too.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I didn't get FJ.  That was one of those hit your head when they reveal the answer moments. I said prayer.  But, two of the contestants were totally off going in the same line of thought as me, so I don't feel too bad.

I got Clyde and Soul Man.  I also said Alaska Airlines correctly.

And I got the entire category of the American Revolution correct. 

So, not a bad night.  Had it not been for FJ it would have actually been a pretty good night.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

ZZ Top there in the middle made a nice comeback, too.

Great name for him but do the members also have ponytails? I like beards but I like ones that are trimmed and neat looking. The "bushy" ones are not a good look to me!

• Love 4

I did my usual. Got a few TS’ers. Yoga, Alaska, and FJ. I thought that rag as a $2000 clue was too easy (from ragout), but I loved that the last answer was Schoolhouse Rock. Loved watching them with my child. 

• Love 2

I won't be home tonight, so I just read the clues on the archive, and I can't believe yoga was a TS, especially with pilates ruled out.

Bail was also surprising as a TS.

I figured all three would get FJ, so my powers of prediction were way off today.

I got all but one of the TS (I didn't know the architect, either), but I missed quite a few that the contestants got right.  Mostly in the American Revolution category; war history doesn't interest me, so a lot of it doesn't stick.

• Love 1

I got FJ but then decided it couldn't be correct and came up with nothing. (I thought Washington was too early). My husband teased me you can't say you got FJ when you draw a line through your answer. 😁

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Schoolhouse Rock is the only reason I can remember the Preamble.  But I always have to sing it.  I can't just recite it.

After that clue, I had Conjunction Junction going through my head.  

Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.

• Love 9

I thought that rag as a $2000 clue was too easy (from ragout)

I thought it was talking about goulash, which I misspelt in my head, so I was ready to answer... glash?

I figured FJ was talking about Thanksgiving, but I just said Thanks, since the clue said "a request for 'a day of public' this." I thought the 'this' was Thanks. So I'm wrong. Again.

The only TS I got was yoga.

• Love 2

The middle guy's from Montana, right? That might explain Dave Letterman's facial hair. Maybe it's a "thing" there.  I was surprised that champ got Eastport, Maine, when the other lady is FROM Maine. (having just been on my Road Trip there, I was singing out, "been there, done that.")

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

My gut response for today's FJ was mourning, but I considered it further and came up with the correct response in the nick of time.

I also got Clyde, yoga, and bail, and I'm not sad to have a new champ.  ZZ Top there in the middle made a nice comeback, too.

That's what I said too, and the mister reacted somewhat like we do for TS questions. Not a nice feeling to have on my sofa!

11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I got FJ but then decided it couldn't be correct and came up with nothing. (I thought Washington was too early). My husband teased me you can't say you got FJ when you draw a line through your answer. 😁

I think Thanksgiving as we know it (time wise, anyway), was set during Lincoln's time.

19 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The middle guy's from Montana, right? That might explain Dave Letterman's facial hair. Maybe it's a "thing" there.  I was surprised that champ got Eastport, Maine, when the other lady is FROM Maine. (having just been on my Road Trip there, I was singing out, "been there, done that.")

It's a look out here in the Pacific Northwest too. Not fond of it, though I like beards. Well trimmed ones - and not the ones that look like a five o'clock shadows. Those seem to be to be people who just won't commit. 😉

I did pretty well on the boards in general, but not FJ. Oh well, four more to go this week. We'll see how that goes.

• Love 2