Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I got it easily - but mostly because I live in the Pacific Northwest. We went to St. Helens 5 years after the eruption - pictures just don't capture the magnitude and utter destruction. Crater Lake is something to see too. Olympic mountains wasn't a bad guess, they're kind of in the neighborhood, as it were.

It's hard to believe the Mount St. Helens eruption was nearly 40 years ago. Maybe that's why the young'uns on the show missed it. Crater Lake is still on my bucket list. The last time I tried to see it the roads were still closed by snow, and it was mid-June. To me, the Pacific Northwest is the most beautiful area of the country.

• Love 6

TS I got were Dale Evans, bounce, equinox. I didn't get mogul, but Dr. Toothbrush knew it & once I heard it, it was a d'oh moment. Have lots of those watching Jeopardy..lol

Edited by Toothbrush
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I was stunned he didn’t say Côte d'Ivoire when the woman responded Ivory Coast!

We said the same!

2 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

Crater Lake is still on my bucket list. 

It is absolutely stunning, and I hope you are able to experience it soon. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

It's hard to believe the Mount St. Helens eruption was nearly 40 years ago. Maybe that's why the young'uns on the show missed it. Crater Lake is still on my bucket list. The last time I tried to see it the roads were still closed by snow, and it was mid-June. To me, the Pacific Northwest is the most beautiful area of the country.

Well, now I feel old. But I know I'm in good company. 🙂 We saw St. Helens twice, coming and going, and dropped by Crater Lake on the way up (which I forgot when I posted earlier, but walked by the picture of it just now). There was snow, but the roads were open. It was in May, so you never really know.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

That would be cool if Kevin were related to James-killer Emma.

I just saw (well, half-heard) a promo:  "his wife won big. Can he do it too?" 

ETA  well, the Internets show no evidence that that referred to Emma/Kevin.  Maybe I dozed off and dreamed it?

Edited by SoMuchTV

I got FJ.   I assumed it was because of caviar and couldn't think of anything else. Which is good.

I also got Sherlock Holmes, Dupont, Jim Beam, and sulky (before anybody said anything about sulk).   I even got a few of the nearest capitals, but not Rabat.  

• Love 3

With no wine I got Sherlock Holmes, Jim Beam, and Brussels. Ha, I finally got Final Jeopardy. At first I was thinking of Koi and then I remembered caviar which led me to the correct answer of sturgeon. (In time) 

• Love 4

When there is less than a minute to go in the game, I don't understand the strategy of leaving high dollar clues on the board. It seems like everyone today was playing not to lose instead of trying to win. It was still a good game, though.

• Love 5

Catching up, since I couldn’t watch live last night or tonight.  I skipped most of the games, and went straight to FJ.  Does the new champ rock all the time, or was I just lucky enough to catch him in rare rocking moments?  Anyway, I have no idea of any TS I might have gotten except spiracles on Tuesday’s game, and I only watched FJ tonight.

And, wonder of wonders, I got both last night’s and tonight’s FJ!  For Tuesday, my immediate thought was Mt. St. Helens and the Cascades, but then I wondered if they were trying to be tricksy with the “continental US” part of the clue, because technically Alaska’s on the continent.  The Alaskans I have met aren’t shy about reminding us lower 48ers about it, either.  In the end, though, I stuck with my original answer.  Good for me!

Tonight, “czar” led me to Russia, which led me directly to sturgeon.  I tried to make it something that rhymed with czar, but nothing else except sturgeon made sense to me.

After doing so well these past three games (at least on FJ), I fully expect to come up empty-handed tomorrow and Friday.

• Love 2

I had no clue about the czar fish.  I probably would have panicked and written goldfish. The mr. said, what's the fish they get caviar from? And suggested something so wrong I can't even remember it. Then I came up with sturgeon.

So when jeopardy follows Wheel's  lead and brings in team contestants, we're all set.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Does the new champ rock all the time, or was I just lucky enough to catch him in rare rocking moments?

He was rocking up a storm yesterday. I was expecting comments here about it, but nothing. I didn't look at him today but assume he was still doing the wave on his podium.

I figured a czar fish had to be a badass, but couldn't decide between a piranha or a pike. I guess it didn't matter. There are sturgeon in the Mississippi (a stone's throw from me) so thinking of it as a Russian fish wasn't going to happen.

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I expect the pic to be deleted for political content, but I think it's hilarious.

I was surprised to read Fredrick Douglass died. SAD.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2

I didn’t come home until the end of the interviews, and mere moments later was yelling “Jim Beam!” at the TV.

The DuPont TS surprised me a bit, and, looking at the archive for the clues at the beginning of the game, Sherlock Holmes does, too (that no one at least guessed him based on British sleuth).

Bill spacing the category and missing billfold amused me as much as it did Alex. 

I loved the nearest capital category.

FJ was an instaget, so I'm on a roll this week.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Tonight, “czar” led me to Russia, which led me directly to sturgeon.

Two minds that think alike. Whenever I hear "czar, tzar, or anyway else one can spell it) I think of Russia and immediately think of caviar which means sturgeon!

One thing from yesterday's game...at least I think it was yesterday, was the answer about Lee surrendering to Grant...the actual answer should have been Appomattox Court House (again because I am Virginia born and bred and had Virginia history almost every year I was in school!) and I am still snickering about the Annie Oakley answer...poor Kevin forgot the category. As for age, I asked my 47 year old son and he immediately said Dale Evans even tho' he says he doesn't think he has ever seen a Roy Rogers show.

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I figured a czar fish had to be a badass, but couldn't decide between a piranha or a pike.

Funny, for a second I thought piranha, too. But then sturgeon came to me pretty readily.

After the guesses of Jack Daniels and whatever the other one was, I could only think of Captain Morgan, and I knew that wasn't right.

The only TS I got was Sherlock Holmes.

• LOL 2

My two day FJ streak is over. It was fun while it lasted.

For FJ, I got as far as Russia and caviar. Then, somehow shad roe popped in my head, followed by beluga, but the whale kind, time's up, curses!!

I did get Sherlock Holmes and DuPont.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

After the guesses of Jack Daniels and whatever the other one was, I could only think of Captain Morgan, and I knew that wasn't right.

If there had been four contestants, Captain Morgan would have been the fourth guess.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, Driad said:

Re Appomattox ... Wilmer McLean moved to get away from the war, but it ended up that he could say, "The war began in my front yard and ended in my front parlor."

Not arguing that the McLean house was where the actual surrender was but that it was in the village of Appomattox Courthouse, not in Appomattox.

• Love 4

For FJ, the answer was immediately obvious to me: kingfish! 

Then I thought no, it can’t be that easy. Sturgeon came to me then, for no logical reason I could think of, in plenty of time to write it down. Yay, me.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Not arguing that the McLean house was where the actual surrender was but that it was in the village of Appomattox Courthouse, not in Appomattox.

Am I the only one who went through childhood thinking that the surrender took place at an actual courthouse?

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Am I the only one who went through childhood thinking that the surrender took place at an actual courthouse?

Childhood????  Up until reading your reply, I assumed it was a real courthouse!

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

I thought everyone knew Jack Daniels is made in Tennessee. In a dry county, no less, but I wouldn't expect a bunch of folks to know that. That's also why I didn't guess George Dickel - his Tennessee Sippin' Whisky is made not too far from Jack's. They have a slogan - "If you only know Jack, you don't know Dickel."

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, suebee12 said:

One thing from yesterday's game...at least I think it was yesterday, was the answer about Lee surrendering to Grant...the actual answer should have been Appomattox Court House (again because I am Virginia born and bred and had Virginia history almost every year I was in school!)

The mister complained about that one too.

9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

If there had been four contestants, Captain Morgan would have been the fourth guess.

Since I don't know jack about whiskey, that crossed my mind briefly.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

And now I know why the mister objected.

31 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Childhood????  Up until reading your reply, I assumed it was a real courthouse!

Thank you. Same here. I think I object to towns being named after buildings which might exist in the towns!

After a weird turn thinking of angler fish (? because they're scary??), sturgeon popped into my mind, but I didn't know why. In this case, I figured out the answer backwards.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I just saw (well, half-heard) a promo:  "his wife won big. Can he do it too?" 

ETA  well, the Internets show no evidence that that referred to Emma/Kevin.  Maybe I dozed off and dreamed it?

Kevin has said on Reddit that he and Emma are not related.

Interestingly enough, Emma's father is named Kevin.

• Useful 2

Really good game. I liked all 3 players & loved Julia's dress. 

In the Jeopardy universe, DE company = DuPont, just like Polish artist = Chagall. 

TS I got were DuPont, Jim Beam, sulky. FJ was an instaget. I am so proud of myself that I only missed one in the nearest world capital category - Lisbon. I said Madrid, forgetting all about poor Portugal despite visiting there 6 years ago. 

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Does the new champ rock all the time, or was I just lucky enough to catch him in rare rocking moments?  

He's a rocker. 

15 hours ago, suebee12 said:

One thing from yesterday's game...at least I think it was yesterday, was the answer about Lee surrendering to Grant...the actual answer should have been Appomattox Court House (again because I am Virginia born and bred and had Virginia history almost every year I was in school!) 

I said the same.

6 hours ago, Katy M said:

Nope! 

2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Kevin has said on Reddit that he and Emma are not related.

I'm sadly disappointed. I was imagining him & Emma celebrating getting away with bribing the Bolivian customs officer during his interview Wednesday. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

In the Jeopardy universe, DE company = DuPont, just like Polish artist = Chagall. 

Except Marc Chagall was Russian. I can't think of any well-known Polish artist, not that there aren't any. I'm sure someone here will know of some!

1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

I'm sadly disappointed. I was imagining him & Emma celebrating getting away with bribing the Bolivian customs officer during his interview Wednesday. 

That would have been the most awesomely awesome event EVAH.

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 9:06 PM, Fex said:

I was very surprised no one got mogul! Skiing, rich guy... isn't it obvious? 

Nope.

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 10:36 PM, peeayebee said:

I got Dale Evans and John Ford. Did not get FJ. 

I got all three.  Probably because I've done a lot of reading about Mt. St. Helens.

My mother would never have forgiven me if I had gotten John Ford wrong.  She's a huge John Wayne fan, so I know a lot about many of his bigger movies, including the directors of most of them.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Katy M said:

but not Rabat.  

I was on the right track, but couldn't get past Madrid.

18 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

When there is less than a minute to go in the game, I don't understand the strategy of leaving high dollar clues on the board. It seems like everyone today was playing not to lose instead of trying to win. It was still a good game, though.

They left way too many clues on the board for it to be a good game, imo.

18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Tonight, “czar” led me to Russia, which led me directly to sturgeon.  I tried to make it something that rhymed with czar, but nothing else except sturgeon made sense to me.

I thought of caviar, which led me to sturgeon.  Wasn't sure it was correct, though.

12 hours ago, Minaboo said:

I did think of that, which is funny because, for me, it comes from my Dad's stories about listening to Amos & Andy as a child.

2 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Yup.  I mean, I live next door to northern Delaware and Chester County, PA, so I've visited a lot of DuPont family properties and it was a gimme.  But still, I think this one should've been easier.  (Chagall = Russian artist, or sometimes Jewish artist, not Polish, btw.)

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Except Marc Chagall was Russian. I can't think of any well-known Polish artist, not that there aren't any. I'm sure someone here will know of some!

Polish musician/composer is always Chopin, though.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

17 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

(Chagall = Russian artist, or sometimes Jewish artist, not Polish, btw.)

Polish musician/composer is always Chopin, though.

I had Chagall & Chopin mixed up. Chagall must have been on my mind because of the Fiddler on the Roof FJ last week. (That's my story & I'm sticking to it 😜 )

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I did think of that, which is funny because, for me, it comes from my Dad's stories about listening to Amos & Andy as a child.

Kingfish! I had the same thought, having spent all my summers in Arkansas.* Amos & Andy played every noon on the only station the radio could get in the Ouachitas.

(*Edited because the Jot 'Em Down store was Lum and Abner, not Amos and Andy. Duh. Both were on that radio station though.)

2 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I had Chagall & Chopin mixed up. Chagall must have been on my mind because of the Fiddler on the Roof FJ last week. (That's my story & I'm sticking to it 😜 )

LOL! I really felt badly about correcting you on Chagall and hesitated to do so. So I agree, you were thinking of "the other" C word.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

Today's game was boring. They left almost an entire category in both J and DJ on the board. Add in the cautious wagers and it wasn't all that great. I'm really missing Jason.

I missed FJ; all I could come up with was Great Plains.  🤔

• Love 5

Ugh.  What a terrible game!  End girl just kind of shut down after she got points taken away, and middle dude seemed to be randomly guessing things for a while.  Even the champ didn't have a great outing, and so so many clues left on the board. 

I was surprised at the missed DD of Herman Wouk, when he was spotted the book title.  I didn't even have to hear the rest of the clue (and I've never read the book, either).  I also managed to get Lanai and George III. 

Oklahoma +1930s = instaget FJ for me.

• Love 7

Who am I to criticize tonight's panel when I only got 7 right? But, the heck with that. I can't remember ever seeing all 3 not knowing the answers so many times. I don't watch every night so I'm no expert observer, but did these 3 seem "off" to you regular Jeopardy viewers? 

OK...glad to see I wasn't imagining things. 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 5

There are discussion on other sites about today's game being one of the worst, with so many TSs and so many clues left on the board and such poor scores going into final. I was only half way watching (just long enough to see the champ rocking his podium again) but got the TS of (Tony) Lama boots, and the shout out to my favorite author, Herman Wouk.

The answer of "Corgi" should have been a BMS given it was a Cardigan Welsh Corgi and not a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, but I guess they were lucky to get any answer at all.

FJ was back to being easy for me, a miracle of sorts given I went two solid weeks unable to answer any. I've seen too many Dorothea Lange photos to not be able to answer this one.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, SpiritSong said:

Today's game was boring. They left almost an entire category in both J and DJ on the board. Add in the cautious wagers and it wasn't all that great. I'm really missing Jason.

I missed FJ; all I could come up with was Great Plains.  🤔

I was especially frustrated that they only had one clue from the royal and noble music category! That sounds fun. 

As a non-American, non-sportsfan, I am shocked that the New York Yankees was a ts. If I know a sports answer, it is not difficult. 

All three contestants were guilty of not just saying the whole category, but saying the whole category with lengthy pauses. 🤯

• Love 10
17 hours ago, Minaboo said:

Then I thought no, it can’t be that easy. Sturgeon came to me then, for no logical reason I could think of, in plenty of time to write it down. Yay, me.  

Well, at least you moved on. I was stuck on kingfish, and having never heard of sturgeon, got nowhere and have no idea how one would have got that.

I hate fish.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

That was a terrible game.

I got PGA, Lanai, pulsar, and Yankees tonight.

With 100% confidence, I said Bible Belt for FJ. Oopsie!!

Wishing you good health and happiness Alex, but I would happily accept a $10,001 paycheck for 30 minutes of work, you twit!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Apparently no-one watched the movie The Madness of King George.  Ironically in the UK it was called The Madness of King George III.  Apparently it was felt that Americans would misunderstand the III as it being the third part of a trilogy. Sad really.

I've never heard or read of anyone calling air conditioning AK, only AC.  Maybe it's regional?

• Love 2

This had to be the worst Jeopardy of all time! I wonder how many correct answers were given and how many unanswered answers there were? I did find out that yelling the correct answer at the television does not work...I was a bit hoarse after all the yelling I did!

Boy James and Jason would have had a killer day!

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, suebee12 said:

I did find out that yelling the correct answer at the television does not work...I was a bit hoarse after all the yelling I did!

I kept yelling, "Wouk! Herman Wouk!" And then I yelled, "Fuck!" that they ran out of time and left the Royal and Noble Song category practically untouched.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I've never heard or read of anyone calling air conditioning AK, only AC.  Maybe it's regional?

I’m confused. The AK answer was referring to an AK-47 gun, in an Ice Cube lyric. Did someone in the game say something later about air conditioning?

• Love 4

Seriously, I'm bad with numbers, so I'm always getting the British monarch numbers wrong. Here I said George II.

Instead of Herman Wouk I confidently said James Michener. GAH! Also, I said Tony Rama instead of Tony Lama. Maybe I was thinking of Tony Romo.

But I did get Lanai, James Baldwin, and NY Yankees.

For FJ I said panhandle. I should have paid more attention to the year.

Boring, yucky game. 

• Love 3