Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

59 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

Be careful or you will learn things you really did not want to know.

I got Gallipoli, Sydney, A-frame. Didn't Alex stop "dap/dab" from being answered by anyone else? I liked the yelled movie quotes category. FJ was an instaget.

There's never been anything I didn't want to know, the good, the bad, and the gross. I'm a very weird person.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I thought that was a horribly written clue.  From J-Archive: "New evidence suggests that the QWERTY keyboard design may have sprung from telegraph operators translating this."

Like the contestant, I assumed the "this" the operators were "translating" was a specific word.

I thought the question was worded just fine.  Telegraph operators translated Morse code when they received messages.

1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

I got Gallipoli, Sydney, A-frame. Didn't Alex stop "dap/dab" from being answered by anyone else? I liked the yelled movie quotes category. FJ was an instaget.

Yep, me too.

17 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm shocked Sydney was a TS; how did no one even guess that?!

Woke was pretty surprising, too.

The Member of the Wedding and mausoleum, I would have thought someone would get, too, but it's those first two that really surprised me.

I could not for the life of me remember Jerry Maguire

I did get all of those and Abel Tasman.  The Australian government changed the name of the island to Tasmania because it's original English name, Van Dieman's Land, had become synonymous with the notorious terrible cruelty meted out to both the Aboriginal population and the people kept in the prison camps there.

17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

but there is no excuse for missing the Pathfinder DD in a Mars category.

I shamefully admit that I did not get that one despite being into the space program.  Although I am less interested in Mars exploration.  I said rover.

15 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I also got Gallipoli thanks to the movie--back when Mel Gibson was synonymous with male beauty and not nasty behavior--

Run, Mel, run!

15 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I had no idea "woke" had a negative connotation

I've only ever seen it used as a negative on the comment boards I visit.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It was UrbanDictionary.com. Woke in most instances now has morphed to be used in a pejorative manner to mock because most people who describe themselves that way demonstrate that they are not.

I haven't seen people use woke in the way it was originally intended for a couple of years now.  It's too bad because I liked what it used to mean and stood for.

• Love 2

I got FJ and I also got muzzle, gird your loins, In the HEat of the Night and Midnight run

And Lonesome dove is my fave book ever.

5 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

I will never understand how this show decides which answers are correct and which are not. Jimmy Kimmel is NOT a late night talk show. He is the host of a late night talk show called The Tonight Show.

That's what I thought, but I'm not a late night show aficionado.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ and I also got muzzle, gird your loins, In the HEat of the Night and Midnight run

And Lonesome dove is my fave book ever.

That's what I thought, but I'm not a late night show aficionado.

I consider Lonesome Dove one of the Great American Novels. A brilliant book that I have read more than once. And one of the few novels that had an equally brilliant television adaptation.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

Jimmy Kimmel is NOT a late night talk show. He is the host of a late night talk show called The Tonight Show.

No Jimmy Fallon is the host of The Tonight Show on NBC. On ABC is Jimmy Kimmel Live!

I got all of the "ZZ" answers except for the double one. I got all of the Night answers and thought that the highest priced one should have been at the top!

• Love 3

Since I'm watching football, I went ahead and read the archive rather than hoping halftime coincides with J! time.

Muzzle as a TS in a category that spots ZZ and a clue that mentions a dog?  I thought, "Oh, this game is not off to a good start", and the terrazzo TS in the same category was pretty surprising, too.

But my predictive powers were improved in DJ; I not only knew crankcase was going to be a TS, I assumed someone was going to guess carburetor.

I predicted two contestants would get FJ, though, so it didn't last.

25 minutes ago, Bastet said:

But my predictive powers were improved in DJ; I not only knew crankcase was going to be a TS, I assumed someone was going to guess carburetor.

I knew carburetor wasn't the right answer, but I said it anyway.  Then I said casing.  Not a car person.  

• Love 1

Note to self:

Buy and take Dramamine before tomorrow's show.

Stand still, Geoff.

Aside from that, my other thought was that he looked stoned. lol

I got muzzle (really, none of you three came up with that?), In the Heat of the Night, and Midnight Run (hilarious movie).

I didn't get FJ, even though I feel like I should have. <sad>

• Love 2
4 hours ago, suebee12 said:

No Jimmy Fallon is the host of The Tonight Show on NBC. On ABC is Jimmy Kimmel Live.

Oops. You are absolutely right!

But the clue asked for the name of the show, not the name of the host.

Edited by SpiritSong
second thoughts

Did not get FJ. I could have if I thought real hard, real real hard, but I didn't.

I did get muzzle, terrazzo, Midnight Run, and the DD of In the Heat of the Night. Only fairly recently did I learn what terrazzo was.

2 hours ago, suebee12 said:

I got all of the "ZZ" answers except for the double one. I got all of the Night answers and thought that the highest priced one should have been at the top!

Pizzazz was the first word I shouted out when the category came up - and then I didn't think of it during the clue. D'oh!

I got In the Heat of the Night with no problem, as I learned a big lesson while watching it in the theater as a kid. Never lick your glasses to clean them after eating buttered popcorn!

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

English History is usually a blind spot for me but Southeast Asian history was an area of emphasis in college so FJ was an IG.

Surprised by the wager of the winner on the last DD but maybe he is great at geography and the question is was crazy easy.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I did get muzzle, terrazzo, Midnight Run, and the DD of In the Heat of the Night. Only fairly recently did I learn what terrazzo was.

I was thinking the Jeopardy contestants must not watch HGTV or they would know what an A frame house and terrazzo floors are.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Pizzazz was the first word I shouted out when the category came up - and then I didn't think of it during the clue. D'oh!

I've had that happen.  Frustrating.

• Love 1

I turned the show on a minute late and was thrown off a little until I saw the categories.  I did get Terrazzo, gird your loins, and Ardennes.

FJ wasn't an instaget but I did get it in good time. For some reason my mind went first to a particular ship, then I realized it would be a company they wanted - so, it was easy from there.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, suebee12 said:

No Jimmy Fallon is the host of The Tonight Show on NBC. On ABC is Jimmy Kimmel Live!

Speaking of, last night on Jimmy Kimmel Live! during his monologue Jimmy played the Jeopardy clip of the clue featuring the photo of Guillermo, which the contestant answered correctly. The camera then moved to a new set where Guillermo was hosting his own talk show now that he is famous (¡Hola! ¡Hola! ¡Hola! ¡Hola!). He even brought out four guests, Woody Harrelson, Emma Stone, Abigail Bresin and Jesse Eisenberg, upstaging Jimmy.

Being a clue/answer on Jeopardy! can make you famous.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Bastet, I was with you on that! Having sold a few PCV valves in my time, I knew it but was pretty sure it would stump the panel. I think Austin would have gotten it, though, as he's a bit of a car guy 

4 hours ago, Trey said:

I did get Terrazzo, gird your loins, and Ardennes.

I got most of the total stumpers except crankcase and Ardennes.  I knew it and should've gotten it, but I tend to get Ardennes and Argonne mixed up, and couldn't remember which one was WWI and which was WWII.

British history is totally my thing, and I got FJ right away.  Although I'm not sure I would've remembered to write down "British" in my answer.  I mean, that was pretty much implied by the clue, and "East India Company" is the correct name.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

For FJ, I said "The people that Tom Hollander worked for in the Capn Jack Sparrow movies." I knew the Dutch East India Company wasn't right. Duh.

I was pretty confident with East India Company right away, but only when I could picture the logo seen in the film was I comfortable that I didn't need a "British" or something else in front of it.

I said Arthur Miller of FJ, but hey, at least I wasn't the only one who didn't know.

The only TSs I got were Snidely Whiplash and Bryce Canyon.

I did fairly well in the first round, and I did OK, but not great in the second.  

Hocus Pocus was my first Vonnegut. We read it in my Intro to Lit class in college. I liked it.  I then read Breakfast of Champions on my own and how I loathed that book.  I gave him another chance with Slaughterhouse 5 and liked it OK, but I still think Hocus Pocus was better.  I know, nobody asked, and nobody cares.

• Love 1

That turned into a much more competitive game than I expected.  Good for Susan, though I was rooting for Lindsey.  For FJ, I pre-called Arthur Miller, and then couldn't get him out of my head.  Even so, I doubt Albee would have occurred to me.

I call foul on "prehensile thumb" being accepted.  Prehensile and opposable are not the same thing. 

TS I got included Snidely Whiplash, and Bryce, and the missed DD of the Rio Grande.  I have to cut Lindsey a little slack on missing that one, though, since she is from Canada.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I call foul on "prehensile thumb" being accepted.  Prehensile and opposable are not the same thing. 

They did not say that it was the same thing, but maybe they felt that the clue (which I don't remember) was vague enough that would make prehensile a correct answer.  After all, a prehensile thumb is basically one that can grab.  So, maybe it fit the clue.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I got General Electric, which I should have as I worked for them for 2 1/2 years in the 70s.

And I got cystic fibrosis because I worked for the fdn. The clues were a mixed bag. Some were super easy and some were the great unknown for me.

• Love 1

This so rarely happens for me...Albee came springing to the forefront of my brain immediately. I was stunned that I was correct.

Y'know, I've been watching a lot of Brit TV lately, and they call it the Hokey-Cokey. It's not quite the same melody and not quite the same movements, but it's obvious that it's related to our Hokey-Pokey.  As an aside to my aside, when the doctor asks me what I do for exercise, I tell her jumping to conclusions and the Hokey-Pokey. "Shake it all about..."

• LOL 6
29 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Hocus Pocus was my first Vonnegut. We read it in my Intro to Lit class in college. I liked it.  I then read Breakfast of Champions on my own and how I loathed that book.  I gave him another chance with Slaughterhouse 5 and liked it OK, but I still think Hocus Pocus was better.  I know, nobody asked, and nobody cares.

Cat's Cradle was my first Vonnegut. I loved Breakfast of Champions. Kilgore Trout wading through the creek and his feet becoming encased in plastic from the toxic runoff from the upstream polluting factory is an image I've never forgotten. I also have Venus on the Half-Shell "written" by Trout. I still call the Botticelli painting by that name.

Hey @Prevailing Wind: Put your right foot in!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I got home right as they were going to the first commercial break, so during that I read those clues on the archive.  "Gin" for "this vermouth cocktail" gave me a good laugh.  And I figured someone was going to guess Liberace, but I was a little surprised neither of the other two came up with Elton John.

Snidely Whiplash, grandstand, and Bryce Canyon surprised me as TS a little, too (but I did correctly predict someone would guess Zion for that last one).

FJ was an instaget, as I love that play (and the movie adaptation). 

I got Elton John and Snidely Whiplash.

I also got Edward Albee, not that I was 100% sure, but I thought the play might be Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. [googling....] Yup. That's it!

Boy, Geoff kinda crashed and burned.

• Love 2
On 10/4/2019 at 8:51 PM, saber5055 said:

My antenna dropped all five of my NBC affiliate channels today so no Jeopardy for me (or ever again it looks like) or any other NBC shows I watch. I can get FJ online so I have that. Counting on ya'll to fill me in on anything good.

That happened to me recently. Dropped ABC and PBS. I did another "auto search" for channels and I got them back, but I lost two other channels, which is OK because I rarely watch them - who needs Carson reruns and "Two Broke Girls" ?? I also got more channels than I ever had before - they keep adding shopping, Hispanic, and come-to-Jesus channels!

That's Johnny, not Kit.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
Clarifying which Carson
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2

I really hoped Anthony would take a hint from the "use your inside voice" clue, but no such luck.  He was really shouty, and it doesn't hurt my feelings that he couldn't come up with nacho.  But who is Nancy?  I did get nacho, along with Four Weddings and a Funeral, fishing, and Air Supply.

I couldn't tell what was on the new champ's outfit.  It looked like Tweedledee and Tweedledum.  Anyone have any better ideas?

• Love 2

I got FJ.  Whoo-hoo.  I guessed Nacho and then knew that NA was right, so figured I was good to go.

For TS, I got Four WEddings and a Funeral and fishing. How on earth was fishing a TS?  Asks the girl who couldn't think of Tijuana.  But, to be fair (to me) by the time two other people had rung in with wrong answers I would have had it.  Because I knew it.  

Was Air Supply a TS?  I got that, too.  My phone rang during the show. I never answer the phone during Jeopardy, but it still distracted me.

Edited by Katy M

I love how early the archive is updated lately, so that when I know I'm not going to be home in time to watch the episode, I can read the clues in the afternoon.

Four Weddings and a Funeral being a TS surprised me (and Air Supply a bit too, given the hint within the clue).  Underwater welder for the fishing TS made me laugh.

I'm surprised only one contestant took a guess on that Great Lakes TS; there are only five options, so even if none of them know what order they go in (doubtful, so it's probably that none of them figured out it would have to be the one with no international border), I figured at least one more contestant would take a stab at it.  I guess because it was a $2000 clue.

FJ was a fun clue.

• Love 2

I did ok on Jeopardy (was trying to pronounce Tijuana and for some reason just couldn't remember how to so I said "Tia-wanna"...oy!) But I got that TS, 4 Weddings & a Funeral and was shocked that no one got it. Did ok on Double J but had no idea what FJ was. I'm looking forward to seeing how Erin does tomorrow. She's pretty quick.

• Love 1