Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

17 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

As a chemist, I start to choke before the clue is even shown whenever a chemistry category comes up for fear I'll miss it and someone will take my degrees away. 😁 

One time there was a minister on and the Bible was a category.  They basically asked which son of David tried to kill him and he answered Solomon.  The answer was Absalom (which I was shouting at him trying to help him out).  I think he only got two of the remaining clues.  I said I was glad I didn't go to his church.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I was So distracted by the birds (Owls?) on Erin's shirt...their placement was not good.

I think her shirt had Alice in Wonderland characters on it.  The two looked like Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.  I thought it was cute!

Got Air Supply and Four Weddings and a Funeral.  Didn’t get FJ.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I really hoped Anthony would take a hint from the "use your inside voice" clue, but no such luck.  He was really shouty.....

Seriously! I kept wondering why he was shouting at me. Did not like. 

Kind of indifferent to the new champ.

I got Four Weddings and a Funeral and Air Supply.

FJ went something like this. Category revealed, hey, I might actually know this, clue revealed, sodium, Na, Nacho, yay!!!!!!!  

This just might be the week I break my 2 for 5 FJ rut.

• Love 1

Disappointed that there was no Sex and the City question in the Carrie category.

I got FJ just based on knowing Sodium is Na.

I kind of laughed at all the guesses for the drowning question. I wouldn’t have thought a job based on swimming (scuba diver, lifeguard) would be right and underwater welder seemed so out of left field!

• Love 4

I got Four Weddings and a Funeral, Lake Michigan, and Carl Sandberg. I didn't even notice that the guy said the name incorrectly, so when Alex said he was wrong, I wondered who the heck was another Chicago poet.

For the DD about Ferlinghetti, I was torn betw LA and SF. I was pretty sure it was San Francisco, but I still said Los Angeles. I think I was trying to make him a roommate of Bukowski.

I also got FJ. I didn't even try to work with the chemical symbols. I just thought about a five-letter word that had to do with melty cheese, and VOILA! Nacho!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I think he only got two of the remaining clues.  I said I was glad I didn't go to his church.

It sounds like his church would have been more fun though.

1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

I think her shirt had Alice in Wonderland characters on it.  The two looked like Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.  I thought it was cute!

Yes, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum on the left breast, Dodo Bird on the right. I'll bet White Rabbit and Mad Hatter were under the sweater.

The fishing TS was curious. My first thought was the Deadliest Catch show. I might have answered crab fishermen. Does Alex ever say "Be less specific?"

For the clue "These 6-letter "tones" are used when speaking softly," I said "dulcet." I wonder if I would have been correct. After the commercial break, of course!

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

As soon as I read the clue I started writing the answer, and NaCHO is how I wrote it. 😁

Now see if you get a dollar from @Driad.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I also got FJ. I didn't even try to work with the chemical symbols. I just thought about a five-letter word that had to do with melty cheese, and VOILA! Nacho!

I did the same thing, and VOILA! Queso!

My FJ losing streak continues.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

For the clue "These 6-letter "tones" are used when speaking softly," I said "dulcet." I wonder if I would have been correct. After the commercial break, of course!

I did, too, and it probably would have been a "we've decided to accept that" situation.  Also six letters, it refers to sweet, soothing, pleasant, etc. sounds, which does not necessarily mean soft, but could, and some definitions explicitly mention soft.  The clue specified when speaking "softly & reverently," so "hushed" is the better answer, but I think they'd give credit for "dulcet" too.

Something I forgot to mention: Had I been watching the show rather than just reading the clues, I'd have joined Alex in being happy the contestant pronounced Qatar correctly.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

I was watching with an 8 year old and she even got FJ! That’s only because her mom and I said NA at the same time and We were literally eating nachos so all screamed nacho but that didn’t stop her from demanding to call her dad who is a huge Jeopardy to brag!

We also said dulcet (the 8 year old did not) than briefly wondered if it was six letters and deciding they would have accepted it.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, PBnJay said:

he fishing TS was curious. My first thought was the Deadliest Catch show. I might have answered crab fishermen. Does Alex ever say "Be less specific?"

No, he just says "wrong because you gave us too much information."

• LOL 1

I enjoyed it tonight. I got Four Weddings and a Funeral, Michigan, and Nacho. I’m glad y’all were able to figure out what Erin was wearing on her dress. I was distracted trying to figure it out, and also decided that I need to go get my eyes rechecked. (I also took underwater welding a step farther and said Friction Welding). 

• LOL 4

Not my night.  Had no idea on FJ.  I said Toni Morrison.  All I could think of was a Rose by any other name and I know that Shakespear was not an American woman.

I got the entire category of codex wrong, but I should have gotten Iceland.  I figuratively kicked myself over that one.  On the other hand I got all the triple Os right.

• LOL 3

I read the FJ clue early and almost came here to post my answer, in a spoiler tag of course. I'll do that now:

Spoiler

Sh*t, I have no idea.

And that's exactly what I said out loud. Don't hate me because I'm honest.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I read the FJ clue early and almost came here to post my answer, in a spoiler tag of course. I'll do that now:

Hide contents

Sh*t, I have no idea.

And that's exactly what I said out loud. Don't hate me because I'm honest.

Ohhhh thank you very much, SABER5055! That double Jeopardy was so foreign to me in so many clues 😕

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I had no idea for FJ.  I don't think I've ever read anything by Gertrude Stein, and, though I've heard the titles of her books, I'm not sure I knew she wrote them.  My ignorance, it is complete.

I'm glad the former champ at least made a good run at the end, and I thought middle guy wagered correctly.  Then again, I thought the new champ made a smart wager as well.

• Love 4

I knew Gustav Holst, but FJ eluded me.  Let's see: Louisa May Alcott wrote about a character named Rose but she's too early and the sample doesn't sound like her. Beatrix Potter was 20th century but British. Which leaves ... [blank space].

• LOL 1

No clue for FJ, so this week's FJ streak ends at one. 

I did laugh/groan when the category was revealed.

Off to play J!6, which makes me feel much smarter. Multiple choice for the win.

• LOL 2

I wish I had figured out FJ, but I settled on Jackie Kennedy, thinking she may have written a children's book about Rose Kennedy. Yup, that's what I came up with.

I got Holst.

I like Ed and hope he lasts a while.

• Love 3

Unfortunately, I was distracted for much of the game, but I did get to see - and answer correctly - FJ.

I also got to laugh along with those in the studio at Inca and Aztec being ruled out, then the final contestant swooping in with Maya (which she may well have known all along, it’s just funny how many clues lead contestants to know it’s one of those three and then guess from there).

And I saw the clue giving Tarana Burke proper credit for "Me Too," which made me happy.

I also saw the Panic! at the Disco clue, but while somewhat distracted, and in that state my brain received "Brendon Urie" as Michael Urie, so I thought, "That guy from Ugly Betty fronts a band?"  (I wouldn't have known it even if I'd read it correctly; I've heard of the band, but don't know anything about it.)

• Love 1

I missed the first round as my daughter (who knows the Jeopardy rules about not calling Mom unless it’s an emergency between 7:30-8) called with a problem. After coming out of Mom mode I did eh. I knew the phrase “A rose is a rose....”but couldn’t come up with a Gertrude Stein. That made me angry because I just read two of her books last year. I guess my mind was double thinking. 

• Love 1
On 10/14/2019 at 5:22 PM, BuckeyeLou said:

I was So distracted by the birds (Owls?) on Erin's shirt...their placement was not good.

When I saw her dog shirt (dress?) on Tuesday, I said "Saber will like that" (the dogs at least, if not the fashion).

On 10/14/2019 at 7:35 PM, SHD said:

I got FJ just based on knowing Sodium is Na.

When I saw the category Chemistry and Wordplay I groaned. Some of my least favorite categories. I got NA, but nothing else.

On 10/14/2019 at 10:15 PM, biakbiak said:

I was watching with an 8 year old and she even got FJ! That’s only because her mom and I said NA at the same time and We were literally eating nachos so all screamed nacho but that didn’t stop her from demanding to call her dad who is a huge Jeopardy to brag!

Ouch, now that's just rubbing it in! LOL.

I got Gertrude Stein primarily because of the one quote I remember "there is no there, there" (Oakland) - and decided she was an unlikely author of a children's book and she liked word play involving repetition.

Ferlingetti (sp?) was easy for me, having lived in the SF Bay Area for quite some time with a former husband from San Francisco. I was just surprised that he was still alive (Ferlingetti, not the husband)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I also got to laugh along with those in the studio at Inca and Aztec being ruled out, then the final contestant swooping in with Maya

Boy, did I sympathize with them. 

I also saw the Panic! at the Disco clue, but while somewhat distracted, and in that state my brain received "Brendon Urie" as Michael Urie, so I thought, "That guy from Ugly Betty fronts a band?" 

:D. For me, when the clue said there was an exclamation mark, I immediately thought of that band that did We Are Young. Googling now, I see that it's a period (fun.) not an exclamation point. Wham! didn't occur to me.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I missed the first round as my daughter (who knows the Jeopardy rules about not calling Mom unless it’s an emergency between 7:30-8) called with a problem.

She was raised right.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

When I saw her dog shirt (dress?) on Tuesday, I said "Saber will like that" (the dogs at least, if not the fashion).

I would have, if I could see it. No more Jeopardy for me ever, all my NBC channels are gone for good. And episodes are no longer posted online.

Like an old soldier, I will eventually just fade away (from this thread).

I got FJ only because it was a clue in a crossword puzzle I did last week. 

@saber5055 - I went to the site for my local station that airs J! & they only stream newscasts, & Hulu only shows "select episodes" Boo hiss I am not very good at searching for stuff on-line, but I'm sure someone more savvy than I can come up with something ☝️

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I would have, if I could see it. No more Jeopardy for me ever, all my NBC channels are gone for good. And episodes are no longer posted online.

Like an old soldier, I will eventually just fade away (from this thread).

Awww no, SABER5055.  We'll miss ya so much ;>(  How can NBC be gone for you???

53 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

How can NBC be gone for you???

The local NBC affiliate changed its signal two weeks ago and my antenna can no longer pick it up. When tv went digital, I had NBC, ABC, PBS, CW and Fox. (I was never able to get the digital CBS channels.) Eventually, all have changed directions/power and I've gone from five networks to two, ABC and Fox. I have four different antennas of various sizes and none can bring more than those two in. I've lost pretty much all of my favorite shows over this period of time. And now, Jeopardy.

Antennas that advertise they have a range of 150 miles are liars.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

The local NBC affiliate changed its signal two weeks ago and my antenna can no longer pick it up. When tv went digital, I had NBC, ABC, PBS, CW and Fox. (I was never able to get the digital CBS channels.) Eventually, all have changed directions/power and I've gone from five networks to two, ABC and Fox. I have four different antennas of various sizes and none can bring more than those two in. I've lost pretty much all of my favorite shows over this period of time. And now, Jeopardy.

Antennas that advertise they have a range of 150 miles are liars.

Any useful suggestions here? (It's the internet, so probably not)

https://exstreamist.com/how-to-watch-jeopardy-online-or-streaming/

I was having a pretty good night until I said Pol pot for FJ. 

I got Pitch Perfect, Denmark and Titanic.  Surprised Titanic was a TS.  Maybe they thought that was too easy.

Funnily enough the only clue I got in the sometimes Y category was auditor and auditory.  And I got the entire category of TV pets right.  Not sure what that says about me. 

• Love 2

Almost an instaget FJ for me tonight, mostly because it took me a second to remember Mao's name.  I got to China instantly, though.

I also got Pitch Perfect, and east and yeast.  I said Switzerland instead of Denmark -- Swiss cheese, right?

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And I got the entire category of TV pets right. 

I did too, and talk about picking things up via cultural osmosis, because I don't watch any of the shows.

34 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Surprised Titanic was a TS.  Maybe they thought that was too easy.

That was my thinking, too - that no one specifically knew the poem, and the reason no one said Titanic is they were afraid the obvious guess was wrong and didn't want to embarrass themselves. 

The east and yeast TS surprised me, too, but it was the first clue selected in that category and they got all the rest, so maybe they just hadn't wrapped their minds around the category, expecting the Y to be on the end or something.

FJ was an instaget, and I had a good game overall.  I even got several in the "What Prez Preceded?" category and I'm generally pretty iffy at putting them in order; I can rattle off Washington through Jackson, tell you Lincoln was the 16th, Grant the 18th (because I did a report on him in elementary school), and Chester A. Arthur the 21st (because I watch Die Hard With a Vengeance whenever it's on TV), and, if given enough time, go from Hoover through the present. 

• Love 1

Gee, I was absorbed in the news & suddenly remembered Jeopardy at 7:35 so I missed some clues.  Other than that "y" thing (I can't do those clever tricky clues), I didn't do too badly tonight and thought a lot of clues were easy compared with previous nights' clues.  And...I got FJ at the last second. Shocked myself cause I usually don't get FJ.  I'm glad Ed is still the champion.  The tall fellow was a bit strange, IMO.

• Love 2

Did they make any mention of the middle guy’s height? Don’t they put shorter contestants on boxes so that contestants look the same height? Did they not have boxes big enough to level them out? Maybe they should’ve dug a hole for tall guy to stand in.

Did the woman contestant really butcher Mao’s name or am I a complete idiot who has been spelling it wrong all these years? (Could definitely be the latter.)

I was rooting for tall guy. I found him delightfully quirky. He seemed like someone who would live in Stars Hollow.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, SHD said:

Did the woman contestant really butcher Mao’s name or am I a complete idiot who has been spelling it wrong all these years?

She put down the correct spelling now used - Mao Zedong, but my husband and I both commented that it was spelled differently years ago - Mao Tse (something), I think.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

She put down the correct spelling now used - Mao Zedong, but my husband and I both commented that it was spelled differently years ago - Mao Tse (something), I think.

Yes, I always saw it as Mao Tse-Tung!

• Love 6

Tonight I got Pitch Perfect and east/yeast.

FJ=instaget. Although, like Ed, I would have only written down Mao, so as not to butcher the rest of the name.

Since I've reached my quota of two correct FJ answers for the week, I'm going to make a bold prediction that I will have no clue tomorrow or Friday!

• LOL 5