Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I said Barbra for FJ, but Dolly came to mind too. I thought Barbra's Broadway tunes would put her ahead of Dolly in the CW market. Madonna also came to mind (she's been in the news lately) but I discounted her for being TOO YOUNG!

Don't remember any other FJs, I'm still catching up after being w/o Internet for the last four days.

Edited by saber5055

I really hope Jamie learns to use her inside voice before tomorrow's game.  I had to turn down the volume on my TV.

I couldn't come up with Vichy, though I probably should have known it.  History of any variety, but particularly European history, is not my strong suit.  I am having a very bad, no good, terrible week for FJ this week!

• Love 3

I had no idea on FJ, but was like 'duh' when the answer was revealed.

The only TS I got was the Eiffel Tower. I do understand him saying Arch de Triomphe, though, because didn't the clue say something about "arching" into the sky?

I got all the "it: category right, but got the entire musical category wrong, so they equaled each other out.  I said Miss, for Miss Saigon, but I blanked.  

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I really hope Jamie learns to use her inside voice before tomorrow's game.  I had to turn down the volume on my TV.

Normally I'm not glad my station doesn't air Jeopardy on Fridays during football season, but ...

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

And stops putting her clicker right next to her microphone.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, SHD said:

And stops putting her clicker right next to her microphone.

It really seems like the professionals who produce this show should be able to mute the clicking noises. I really don't see what purpose it serves to let the tv audience see that one contestant vs others is a "clicker"

• Love 1

I was fervently hoping Jamie wouldn't be the new champ.  Talk about annoyingly loud voice and moving around a lot. I did much better in DJ and was quite pleased to get zumba which I think was a TS.  FJ? Sheesh. I thought the clue mentioned "recent".  WWII era is not recent, IMO.

• Love 6

I'm going to need Jamie off my tv, asap.

At least she'll be on an end tomorrow, so her constant moving will only annoy one person.

Tonight, I got Eiffel Tower, wrestler, and Zumba.

I got as far as Nazis/Germany for FJ.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I thought the clue mentioned "recent".  WWII era is not recent, IMO.

Here's the clue: "This modern regime that lasted 4 years changed the national motto to “travail, famille, patrie”—”work, family, fatherland.” So it does not say recent, it's even worse: modern.

So I guess all you fellas are wearing your best duds, your killer diller zoot suits, while casting your peepers at the khaki wacky Able Grables while getting up the nerve to ask them to jits to the jive and be cookin' with helium. I know this speak is off the cob but it's really on the beam because it's swell, it's MODERN. Just like Vichy. Come on you chuckleheads, don't flip your wigs or be dopey drips. This is all just floy floy to show you how modern Jeopardy writers are.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

She certainly is extra, isn't she?  Acting! (SNL's Joe Piscopo)

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

Vichy didn't occur to me because the clue specified 'recent'. I know recent is a relative term, but I was trying to think of something within the last 50 years...

No it didn’t, it said “modern regime”. It was an IG for me.
I caught up today and am sad that Nick Charles was a triple stumper. When the category was revealed I jokingly guessed Asta the Charles’ dog.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

Four years and Fatherland so I got Vichy. To be fair, I had a good Modern European History teacher in high school and we did get to WWII around April or so. 

21 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Eiffel Tower

When someone guesses the Arc de triomphe and is wrong, why not guess the other obvious tall structure in Paris?

10 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

submarines (though I said u-boats... the same?)

So long it is a German submarine, yes. They would have accepted that, I would think.

• Love 3

I ended up getting Eiffel Tower, Bruegel, wrestler, Henry V, and Zumba, but for FJ, I could only come up with “the Nazi occupation of France” and “the collaboration with Petain,” but complete brain-farted on the proper name of Vichy. Ugh.

My entire knowledge of Vichy comes from the movie Casablanca.  Got FJ! by the skin of my teeth. Won’t be watching today.  Jamie pranced and threw her head around like a nervous filly.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I got Vichy, but I appreciate that a lot of people might not have.  I do think that knowing the name of the French occupation government is somewhat obscure knowledge.  I kind of like that the Final Jeopardys have been more challenging recently.

As I recall from history class, "Modern" is anything after the Middle Ages.  I had no problem with the wording of the clue.

• Love 2

I studied "Modern" Literature in college and it covered a little over the first half of the 20th Century, so I was okay with the term. I always thought it was weird to name anything "modern" because time moves on and what was "modern" changes. There are some contortions of language they use for more recent literature (though I'm not up on the latestest). I also thought it was strange to start naming generations by alphabet and start with the letter "X." 

10 hours ago, opus said:

I said bulldozing parenting. Is that acceptable for, I think the answer they took was snowplow parenting?

If someone's ever called it that, I think they'd say yes. I checked the clue - there wasn't anything about weather in it.

30 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I got Vichy, but I appreciate that a lot of people might not have.  I do think that knowing the name of the French occupation government is somewhat obscure knowledge.  I kind of like that the Final Jeopardys have been more challenging recently.

As I recall from history class, "Modern" is anything after the Middle Ages.  I had no problem with the wording of the clue.

For me, Vichy was an instaget. But then, I grew up mostly in Europe, had a mother who survived WWII in Europe, and have read tons of books on the period, many set in France. In fact, I'm reading one right now.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
52 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I studied "Modern" Literature in college and it covered a little over the first half of the 20th Century, so I was okay with the term. I always thought it was weird to name anything "modern" because time moves on and what was "modern" changes.

My favorite example of that is "The New Criticism," which was a movement in literary criticism that started in the 1940s, and was largely passe by the '70s.  People still call it The New Criticism, when they talk about it at all, but it ain't that new anymore! 🙂 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

She certainly is extra, isn't she?  Acting! (SNL's Joe Piscopo)

12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

One of my favorite skits on Old SNL...Acting! Jon Lovitz in a skit with Lithgow as two OTT thespians.  It was so funny.

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Or Jon Lovitz, Master Thespian.

Oops, that's who I meant, Jon Lovitz!  Glad you all remembered him!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, opus said:

I said bulldozing parenting. Is that acceptable for, I think the answer they took was snowplow parenting?

I've never heard of snowplow parenting, but to me it suggests something different from bulldozing. Snowplow sounds like you get things out of the way of your kid, whereas bulldozing sounds like you aggressively push your kid to do stuff. IMO.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I've never heard of snowplow parenting, but to me it suggests something different from bulldozing. Snowplow sounds like you get things out of the way of your kid, whereas bulldozing sounds like you aggressively push your kid to do stuff. IMO.

I find a lot of these names dumb but according to Parents magazine snowplow, bulldozer and lawnmower parents are all different names for the same thing so they probably would have accepted it. I have only heard of snowplow parenting because it was used on The Good Place episode, The Snowplow. 

Even as a child, I wondered about the wisdom of naming a style of furniture "Danish Modern." I'd ask my mom, "What if the Danes, back in the 1300s, named their furniture 'modern' - what would we call it now?" and she fell back her on old stand-by, "Oh, don't be so technical."

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

My favorite example of that is "The New Criticism," which was a movement in literary criticism that started in the 1940s, and was largely passe by the '70s.  People still call it The New Criticism, when they talk about it at all, but it ain't that new anymore! 🙂 

There was Post-Modern literature - which is Post WWII. You'd think people whose life is literature would take a look and think "hmmm, maybe we need something that doesn't refer to a time that will be yesterday's news"

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Even as a child, I wondered about the wisdom of naming a style of furniture "Danish Modern." I'd ask my mom, "What if the Danes, back in the 1300s, named their furniture 'modern' - what would we call it now?" and she fell back her on old stand-by, "Oh, don't be so technical."

We logical/technical folk are often annoying to people. 😉

• Love 3

It wasn't quite an instaget, but "fatherland" gave me Vichy France fairly quickly.

Even with a few missed answers, it was still a decent game, one of the better ones this week.  The new champ seems perhaps a little overenthusiastic but otherwise okay.

I am ashamed to say that I missed "don't rock the boat" - in my defense, I thought that clue was in the Dance category,  not the Transportation one, and I was trying to somehow make it the name of a dance.  I was picturing grooving on the dance floor to the Hues Corporation's "Rock the Boat".

Edited by proserpina65
  • LOL 1
17 hours ago, Katy M said:

The only TS I got was the Eiffel Tower. I do understand him saying Arch de Triomphe, though, because didn't the clue say something about "arching" into the sky?

It wasn't a bad guess, but I was surprised when no one else rang in with the right answer.  Those two landmarks are the only really tall ones in Paris.

16 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

was quite pleased to get zumba which I think was a TS. 

I was surprised by that.  I didn't know that it originally had a different name, but the clue seemed to point to Zumba pretty clearly to me.

15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Here's the clue: "This modern regime that lasted 4 years changed the national motto to “travail, famille, patrie”—”work, family, fatherland.” So it does not say recent, it's even worse: modern.

So I guess all you fellas are wearing your best duds, your killer diller zoot suits, while casting your peepers at the khaki wacky Able Grables while getting up the nerve to ask them to jits to the jive and be cookin' with helium. I know this speak is off the cob but it's really on the beam because it's swell, it's MODERN. Just like Vichy. Come on you chuckleheads, don't flip your wigs or be dopey drips. This is all just floy floy to show you how modern Jeopardy writers are.

Eh, anything in the 20th century IS modern.

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

got Eiffel Tower, Bruegul (sp?), wrestler, submarines (though I said u-boats... the same?), Henry V, and Zumba.

I didn't get wrestler but did get the rest.  And yes, U-boats would have been acceptable - that's just what German submarines were called.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I also thought it was strange to start naming generations by alphabet and start with the letter "X." 

I thought I had heard it isn't "X" (as in alphabet) but "X" as in "10", that that generation was consider the 10th generation after....something (I thought each generation was 20-25 years, so it would be 200-250 years after something). It's the naming of the generations (Y & Z) after Gen X that reinforced "X" as alphabet instead of 10, but I could be seriously wrong.

• Love 1

I just read through last night's clues on the archive.  For those who watched: Did the contestant who got the 50 Cent clue answer "Fiddy Cent"?  Because that would have amused me greatly.

Add me to the list surprised by the Eiffel Tower TS; even among the huge group of people with no idea where within Paris anything is located, "rises above" will make the Tower a common first thought.  With the Arc de Triomphe ruled out, I'm truly puzzled by no one ringing in with it.  To me, it's like if no one had come up with Sprite when the first contestant incorrectly guessed 7-Up.

I'm also surprised Zumba and FJ were TS, especially the former.

As for snowplow parenting (which I'd never heard of but easily guessed based on the clue's wording), I wouldn't accept bulldozer instead because the clue specified "this winter vehicle".  If, per the article liked above, bulldozer, snowplow, and lawnmower parenting all are used to mean the first part of the clue ("trying to remove every obstacle from your kid's path"), I think you have to pick the only one that fits the whole clue by also fitting the second part, "this winter vehicle".  

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, illdoc said:

I thought I had heard it isn't "X" (as in alphabet) but "X" as in "10", that that generation was consider the 10th generation after....something (I thought each generation was 20-25 years, so it would be 200-250 years after something). It's the naming of the generations (Y & Z) after Gen X that reinforced "X" as alphabet instead of 10, but I could be seriously wrong.

As a member of Generation X, I always heard it as X as in unknown variable -- a generation that didn't want to be/couldn't be readily identified by one defining characteristic.  We'd been given so many names by so many different people/groups attempting to define us - the MTV Generation, the Baby Busters, the latchkey generation, slackers, etc. - so Generation X, because X is a variable.

Douglas Coupland (who wrote the book Generation X: Tales For an Accelerated Culture) got his title from a chapter in a book about American class structure that referenced an "X" category of people who wanted to opt out of the social hallmarks of modern existence (obtaining money, social status, etc.).  But, as the term Gen X took hold and was endlessly examined in media, it was, to my recollection, in the terms I described above.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I just read through last night's clues on the archive.  For those who watched: Did the contestant who got the 50 Cent clue answer "Fiddy Cent"?  Because that would have amused me greatly.

He did not.  He said, "Fifty Cent", and it made me a little sad.  I hoped he'd say "Fiddy Cent", too -- I did! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
54 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Eh, anything in the 20th century IS modern.

I tried to call you on my thoroughly modern 20th century phone ...

telephone.jpg-.jpg.7f611017d33687a7ba1a998a71938f44.jpg

but you did not answer, so I got in my thoroughly modern car ...

1905_buick_model_c.thumb.jpg.6603308df876d691c76ae5e26f4f036a.jpg

but couldn't get it started, the crank wouldn't turn. Thank the lord we are in such a MODERN century with all these newfangled devices to make our lives better.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Nice to meet you, Evergreen!

Heh, I knew someone would say it.  Its actually I Don't Bring You Flowers Miller  (if anyone cares, its Jenny Rebecca after the song on her 1967 Album My Name is Barbara.  If I bore all my friends with that info, I'm gonna bore you guys).  

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

but you did not answer, so I got in my thoroughly modern car ...

1905_buick_model_c.thumb.jpg.6603308df876d691c76ae5e26f4f036a.jpg

but couldn't get it started, the crank wouldn't turn. Thank the lord we are in such a MODERN century with all these newfangled devices to make our lives better.

Wow. You have a motor ?!?

FREDDY.gif

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

That makes sense, at least. Though the others do not.

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

As for snowplow parenting (which I'd never heard of but easily guessed based on the clue's wording), I wouldn't accept bulldozer instead because the clue specified "this winter vehicle".  If, per the article liked above, bulldozer, snowplow, and lawnmower parenting all are used to describe the definition in the first part of the clue ("trying to remove every obstacle from your kid's path"), I think you have to pick the only one that fits the whole clue by also fitting the second part, "this winter vehicle".  

Ah, I missed the word "winter" when I read the clue. I did get it right during the game, but I also thought that bulldozer would work.

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

As a member of Generation X, I always heard it as X as in unknown variable -- a generation that didn't want to be strictly defined.  It fit because we'd been given so many names based on so many different aspects - the MTV Generation, the Baby Busters, the latchkey generation, slackers, etc.  Who were we?  No one defining characteristic, so Generation X.

Douglas Coupland (who wrote the book Generation X: Tales For an Accelerated Culture) got his title from a book about American class structure that referenced an "X" category of people who wanted wanted to opt out of the social hallmarks of modern existence (money, social status, etc.).

But, as the term Gen X took hold and was endlessly examined in media, I always heard/read about it in the terms I described above.

We boomers are also called the "Me generation," and there are probably others I've long since forgotten. Too many nicknames, most often coined by older generations who want to disparage the younger ones. I tend to think of us as the "Vietnam" generation, as it pretty much defined our formative years.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

He did not.  He said, "Fifty Cent", and it made me a little sad.  I hoped he'd say "Fiddy Cent", too -- I did! 

We said Fiddy as well - way more fun, and more accurate, I think.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4

Did I imagine it, or did Alex make a remark to the effect that yesterday's winner had a low payday? Because I was just watching today's intro, and she had winnings of 9999.  So almost 10k is a low winning amount?  I'd like to see if there are stats on that.

I'm going to be watching football tonight, so another archive game for me.

Klutz, only the second clue, was such a surprise as a TS, I thought perhaps it was going to be a doozy of a game. 

But, while their basketball knowledge was woefully inadequate for the game, and two of them don't know how to spell suffrage, my only other surprise may not have been one had I actually seen the game:  Was there something about the picture of a tarantula that makes their failure to identify the spider seen here not as unusual as it sounds?

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Did I imagine it, or did Alex make a remark to the effect that yesterday's winner had a low payday? Because I was just watching today's intro, and she had winnings of 9999.  So almost 10k is a low winning amount?  I'd like to see if there are stats on that.

Before James the average winning was around 19k so yes under 10k is low.

Jeopardy was preempted in Detroit yesterday due to NBC hosting an educational forum with the local affiliate so today was my first viewing of Jamie.  Knew there would be enjoyable commentary to be read here.

Can't believe I missed seeing a Come From Away clue.  It played here earlier in the month and was one of the best evenings I have ever had in the theater.  

Glad the guy from Toronto won.  It's close enough to claim him as a neighbor and once he got rolling, he did well.

• Love 3

I didn't know klutz was from Yiddish, so I didn't get that one, either.

15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Was there something about the picture of a tarantula that makes their failure to identify the spider seen here not as unusual as it sounds?

Nope.  That was a surprising TS, unless they were more focused in the pretty little frog and misunderstood the clue?  No idea.  I had that one, Big East, and egret.

FJ was an instaget for me, and I even know how to spell it!  I probably should thank "Mary Poppins" (original recipe) for either getting FJ or spelling it -- or both.

So glad middle guy won, since Jamie still was not using her inside voice.

• Love 7