Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

No idea how I came up with FJ tonight, but it was the first thing I thought of, and I couldn't think of anything else. 

Same for me. I paused a second, said duh, then Olympic torch. Followed by, I have no idea where that came from, but I think I'm right.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

It was the dates that did it for me; four years apart took me immediately to the Olympics, so I knew it had to be the torch.

The dates confirmed that I was right. I didn't even consider that little tidbit until after I came up with my answer. Honestly, I think that's the weirdest FJ I've had in a long time. 

I also got Mont Blanc.

I was rooting for Laurel or Jason. Jennifer's outfit was all lopsided and that bugged me (and it is all about me!). 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I had forgotten the category for FJ so had a few moments of wondering what 'it' was that was traveling. Then when they panned out enough for me to see the category again, I got it immediately. Nothing else even occurred to me.

Like you, nothing else occurred to me. I thought it was super obvious, because how many objects travel? Probably lots, and it's one of those times where knowing less Is an advantage 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The Olympic torch has a personal meaning for me....not the from long ago but the one from Sochi in 2014. My son and family were living in Rostov on the Don where he was teaching during his Fulbright Fellowship and they got to see the Olympic torch pass through on it's way to Sochi! That was such a great thing for them to see and one that they will remember forever!

318718820_Teddyolympicflame.thumb.JPG.c2ba2cc596fdb4daa1265d7c2a821863.JPG692771148_Olympicframe.thumb.JPG.9b70238471d0cda5f51f4471207b1f61.JPG

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 16

For that trail In Boston I incorrectly guessed the Paul Revere Trail because of the North Church part of the clue. I doubt it would have been acceptable. I also got Mont Blanc. I got all three DDs and knew that one TS was a Led Zeppelin song, but couldn’t come up with the name. Flunked FJ. Ah well. Good for y’all who did well. 

• Love 1

Didn't Trebek get to carry the torch one year?

I used to live off Peachtree Street and coming home from work one day, the street was packed with people waiting for something. Turned out, it was the 1984 Torch. I changed out of my work clothes & went back to join the party. It was kind of neat to see that flame go running by.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I was completely lost on FJ. For a second I thought about Dora the Explorer but obviously the dates were a bit early.

The only TS I got was Portugal.

I have never been quite so blank and baffled by an FJ in recent memory. I just couldn't parse it (and neither could the mister). Of course when the answer was revealed it was "duh!" The dates might have helped - but when I look at 4 year separations, I think presidential elections not Olympics.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I knew Grace Hopper was going to be a TS, and I had a feeling “Black Dog” was going to be, too (I think a lot of people know the song but not its title), but I was surprised by Pacific Crest Trail being one when Jason’s wrong answer was so close.

I certainly knew the song "Black Dog" but not its title.  It's one of those songs where the title never appears in the lyrics, so even going through the rest of the song in your mind won't help you! 🙂

I don't think I've even heard of the Pacific Crest Trail.  That was a poor category for me--hiking is not something you will ever catch me doing willingly!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I certainly knew the song "Black Dog" but not its title.  It's one of those songs where the title never appears in the lyrics, so even going through the rest of the song in your mind won't help you! 🙂

I don't think I've even heard of the Pacific Crest Trail.  That was a poor category for me--hiking is not something you will ever catch me doing willingly!

I've only heard of the trail because of the movie "Wild" - and even then, I thought it was "coast" not "crest." I, too, am not a hiker.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Jennifer scowled through the game and I’m glad she didn’t win.

I didn't see it as a scowl. I saw it as concentrating. I think there was a time or two when she broke into a smile. Anyway, I was kinda rooting for her.

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I used to live off Peachtree Street and coming home from work one day, the street was packed with people waiting for something. Turned out, it was the 1984 Torch. I changed out of my work clothes & went back to join the party. It was kind of neat to see that flame go running by.

The Los Angeles Olympics. I saw it, too, and I remember how happy people were just driving around and being friendly.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I have never been quite so blank and baffled by an FJ in recent memory. I just couldn't parse it (and neither could the mister). Of course when the answer was revealed it was "duh!" 

That's exactly how I felt. I was seeing the item as nonexistent, just symbolic. The first thing that popped into my head was one of those old timey route maps in movies where a little airplane goes along a route. And that led me to Dora the Explorer, which led me to Uhhhhh.

1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

I certainly knew the song "Black Dog" but not its title.  It's one of those songs where the title never appears in the lyrics, so even going through the rest of the song in your mind won't help you!

That would be an interesting category, songs where the titles aren't in the lyrics. I don't know how many there are. What would the title be?

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

That would be an interesting category, songs where the titles aren't in the lyrics.

"Unchained Melody" came to mind instantly when I read your question! I knew that Zep song and somewhere along the line I had read the title but couldn't put the two together.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

That was a great game!  And they started the clues at the top!  

And that was the one thing I didn't enjoy. Just think how much money they could have had if they started at the bottom. I sound like a broken record(you do remember those, I hope!😁) but I sure enjoy getting the big money first!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

That would be an interesting category, songs where the titles aren't in the lyrics. I don't know how many there are. What would the title be?

This made me think, and I believe that you could construct such a category using nothing but Bob Dylan songs:  "Subterranean Homesick Blues," "Rainy Day Women #12 and 35," "Positively 4th Street," "Ballad of a Thin Man," and "Highway 61 Revisited."  That last one might be cheating a little bit, but the other ones work!

• Love 2

That choked me up a little.

Me too.  Especially when it occurred to me that maybe Jason and Matthew were around the same age (I'm horrible at judging ages and I'm not sure how old Jason is) and that Matthew would now be in his 40s if he hadn't been murdered. 

• Love 4

That choked me up a little.

Same. Had to get a hanky.

Jennifer being a freelancer bugged me. Freelance what? Writer, designer, photographer, model, actor, panhandler, stripper, prostitute ... freelance what. I work as a freelancer but translation is I'm self employed as a (I always say my profession).

I wonder if she knows Jason, both from ABQ.

This tidbit about FJ was posted by Andy on TheJeopardyFan.com:

While an on-site Olympic flame was introduced at the 1928 Summer Olympics in Amsterdam, the Olympic Torch relay was designed by Adolf Hitler and the Nazis for the 1936 Summer Olympics as a way to demonstrate the growing influence of the Third Reich, as well as reinforce his beliefs about classical Greece being an Aryan forerunner of his German Reich. The initial relay required new roads to be built in order to access Olympia in Greece (where the torch was lit) and went through Greece, Bulgary, Yugoslavia, Hungary, Austria, and Czechoslovakia on its 12-day, 11-night route to Berlin.

Somehow, this early history has been glossed over, and the tradition has carried on for each Olympic Games since.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

When I lived in Bowling Green, Ohio [answer to one clue, team names changed to Falcons], the Olympic torch went through town. Scott Hamilton is from BG, as signs on both ends of town announce. I vaguely remember the torch; it was somewhat overwhelmed by the all of the Coke advertisements on the vehicles.

• LOL 4
17 hours ago, secnarf said:

I had forgotten the category for FJ so had a few moments of wondering what 'it' was that was traveling. Then when they panned out enough for me to see the category again, I got it immediately. Nothing else even occurred to me.

I briefly considered the Jules Rimet trophy and discarded that, but the focus on sports lead me to the Olympic Torch.

I like the current champ and hope she stays awhile.

6 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I was surprised Black Dog was at the top of the category.  Being a Zep fan, I got it instantly.  Jennifer scowled through the game and I’m glad she didn’t win.

So did I.  I also got Portugal and Mont Blanc.  Said Kentucky for Bowling Green, though.

I'm also glad Jennifer didn't win.  Not sure why she bugged me, but she did.  Maybe it was the scowling.

5 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Me neither, both to the Pacific Crest Trail and to hiking.  Surprisingly I did know the rest, although I said Adirondack instead of Appalachian.  D'oh!

I had a class last night and taped Jeopardy.  I like it better that way, no commercial breaks, no stories about which I care nothing.  I did accidentally catch Laurel's story about playing D&D - yay, fantasy nerds!  (Although the one contestant who'd met Alan Bean had a great story - love me some astronauts.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Said Kentucky for Bowling Green, though.

So did I (and one of the contestants did too). I wonder why that seems to be a common mistake.

23 minutes ago, opus said:

So did I (and one of the contestants did too). I wonder why that seems to be a common mistake.

As did I. Bowling Green, Kentucky is pretty well known, and famous for the Bowling Green Massacre.

I went to college in Ohio and lived in Columbus five years, traveled extensively, yet did not know there was a BG, Ohio. The Ohio BG has about 30,000 people while the Kentucky BG has almost 70,000 and lots of tourist things. Ohio's BG has ... well, basically nothing memorable.

I read "Wild" and saw the movie, plus mapped the Pacific Crest Trail online, yet I was fine with the answer of "Coast." I know ... not a surprise.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Ohio's BG has ... well, basically nothing memorable.

I only know it because of the university, and I only know the school because of the football team, so I was lucky that's what the clue referenced.  Otherwise, Bowling Green would have meant Kentucky to me, too.

(I suspect that's pretty common, that if you've never heard of the university, the only Bowling Green you have heard of is the one in Kentucky.  [Of course, knowing there's a Bowling Green university doesn't mean knowing it's in Ohio, just that odds are better than if you've never even heard of the school.])

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, opus said:

Because there is also a Bowling Green in Kentucky.  I answered Kentucky.

I don't think I got any ts's last night - at least I don't remember any.

My first thought for FJ was some sort of sports cup but Finland (Helsinki) in 1952 did ring a bell so I got the answer fairly quickly.

I liked the way the fellow on the end made such a great comeback from being in the red and made it a very competitive game.  Still glad Laurel won.

• Love 3

Hey! I will have you know that BG, OH is home to the annual National Truck Pulling Championship. There are signs for that at both ends of town, too.

And...and...and there's the Black Swamp Art Festival!

So there.

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, opus said:
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Said Kentucky for Bowling Green, though.

I think it’s because Western Kentucky University is in Bowling Green, Kentucky. It’s easy to confuse that with Bowling Green University in Ohio.

In the late 60s, as a high school junior, I drove to WKU with two friends to tour the school as a possible college destination. Ended up at Indiana University, but will always remember the beautiful hills and grass of Bowling Hill.

• Love 2

I got FJ.  Which was kind of a geography question.  Maybe I'm not as hopeless in that subject as I thought.

I also got Dale Evans and equinox.  I was surprised Interpol was the $2000 question.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I couldn't believe no one got Dale Evans. I guess before their time.

I was surprised also. I also got bounce (though I've never heard it as a synonym for "depart") and John Ford. All I could think of for FJ was the Rockies, and I knew that was wrong.

I like the new champ. He looks a bit like Ryan Gosling. 😍

• Love 1

Wow, with a clue that basically asked who Roy Rogers’s wife was, Dale Evans was a TS?  At least one of them knew it was “Mrs. Roy Rogers”.  Annie Oakley?!

Given that, I correctly predicted John Ford was going to be a TS, too; these people clearly don’t know anything Western “before their time”.

I wonder if bounce was a TS for the same reason I was slow in coming up with it (I think it was in time, but I was reading the archive rather than watching the show, so I'm not sure); the “gotta this” part of the clue to mean you’re leaving made me think of “jet”, which is obviously not a form of jumping, so I had to stare at the “also good to get one at the polls” part of it before my mind switched gears to bounce.

26 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

The DD in the J! round should have been a $200 clue.

There were quite a few clues I found overvalued, like the entire ICC category.

• Love 1

Geez...I guess they're too young to get Buttermilk's owner, Dale Evans...even though I was yelling her name.  Anyway, I didn't do too badly tonight.  Got 15 of them altho' I'll admit that I was a bit slow on the Victoria & Albert.  A new champion and he's likeable (but I still liked Jason, just don't care for these long term champions, week after week).  I did not get the FJ. Loved getting "Wild Thing" and "Cheney" and Appomattox, and Clio Awards for ads. Fun achievements.  My favorite "get" thought was The Cask of Amontillado (a tale that haunted me for a long time).

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

My favorite "get" thought was The Cask of Amontillado (a tale that haunted me for a long time).

It is very disturbing.

6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Given that, I correctly predicted John Ford was going to be a TS, too; these people clearly don’t know anything Western “before their time”.

I don't know directors. I saw The Quiet Man (and hated it), so I tried guessing John Wayne.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

My favorite "get" though was The Cask of Amontillado (a tale that haunted me for a long time).

In junior high, we watched a movie adaptation of it. So disturbing! (ETA it was a mashup story, with "The Black Cat" from a tv show or something?)

I had no idea for FJ.

I was very surprised no one got mogul! Skiing, rich guy... isn't it obvious? 

Edited by Fex
  • Love 1

I'm a skier so easily got mogul. I love westerns so easily got Dale Evans. I would have easily gotten Buttermilk if the question had been reversed. I love movies so easily got John Ford.

Did anyone catch Kevin's interview comment, he only has one child, "thank god."  LOL!

Kevin must have been watching yesterday's game and heard the (wrong) answer that the book "Wild" took place on the Pacific COAST Trail. Therefore, he figured he was safe with his FJ answer of The Coastal Mountains.

And in today's most shocking news, after 16 wrong answers, I easily got FJ. I've been to the Mt. St. Helens crater, it's an unnerving drive, and I'm saying this as someone who has driven over the Continental Divide -- in the snow -- multiple times. But it was worth it so I could make my FJ score 1/17. Yeay me!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6

Good grief, I got Dale Evans immediately, and I'm surely not that old. In fact, if I whack my baby brother's pacemaker with his cane and make him put in his teeth, we can probably still sing all the words to "Happy Trails" in sweet cowboy harmony.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1

Looks like it's opposite week where I actually have a clue for FJ.*

2 for 2.

I also got Dale Evans, John Ford, and bounce.

*I reserve the right to not have a clue for FJ the rest of the week!

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ.  Which was kind of a geography question.  Maybe I'm not as hopeless in that subject as I thought.

I also got Dale Evans and equinox.  I was surprised Interpol was the $2000 question.

I thought a lot of the questions were ridiculously easy, but they still missed them. And I could not believe 2 of the 3 missed FJ. There are only 3 mountain ranges in the continental US that could be considered "major" and when was the last time anyone heard of a volcano in the Appalachians or Rockies? Though I did briefly consider the Yellowstone volcano I figured it was far more likely they were referring to Mt. St. Helens.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

Good grief, I got Dale Evans immediately, and I'm surely not that old. In fact, if I whack my baby brother's pacemaker with his cane and make him put in his teeth, we can probably still sing all the words to "Happy Trails" in sweet cowboy harmony.

Now, now...don't be too cruel to your baby brother. Gosh, I loved singing that song at the end of the Roy Rogers show back in the day. Today when I watch (for one or two minutes) those old reruns of the RR Show, I realize that only a kid could watch and love those stories.  Dale could only be a bit independent, & there always had to be a goofball (Pat?) driving Nelly Belle. Yikes.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

There are only 3 mountain ranges in the continental US that could be considered "major" and when was the last time anyone heard of a volcano in the Appalachians or Rockies?

I actually almost did say Rockies because I knew it was Mount Saint Helens, and I know that the Rockies is in the west.  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm a skier so easily got mogul. I love westerns so easily got Dale Evans. I would have easily gotten Buttermilk if the question had been reversed

Me as well. I knew it was the Mount St Helens volcano, but the Cascades escaped me. I really need to go back to drinking wine. It seems to loosen me up and I do better. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I easily got FJ because I grew up in Washington and it had been threatening for months,  at my Montessori preschool I helped make a paper mache equivalent to erupt as part of our year end party to show our parents what we had learned and was confused when adults started talking about it happening a few days before the party! I was 3 and 2/3rds years old and I believed for years our project made it happen (I might still think it)!

4 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

Surprised Trebek didn't correct that wrong answer of Olympian Mountains. It's Olympic Mountains. 

I was stunned he didn’t say Côte d'Ivoire when the woman responded Ivory Coast!

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

My favorite "get" thought was The Cask of Amontillado (a tale that haunted me for a long time).

I've been a Poe fan for years, but the reason it came to my mind so easily is that my nephew shared a meme on Facebook with it within the last week.

12 hours ago, Katy M said:

It is very disturbing.

I don't know directors. I saw The Quiet Man (and hated it), so I tried guessing John Wayne.

For that era, I always guess either Houston or Ford. This time I picked the right one. 😉

12 hours ago, Fex said:

I was very surprised no one got mogul! Skiing, rich guy... isn't it obvious? 

Unfortunately, the code names that came into my mind were ... inappropriate (but attempting to be skiing relevant), so I never got to the answer.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

And in today's most shocking news, after 16 wrong answers, I easily got FJ. I've been to the Mt. St. Helens crater, it's an unnerving drive, and I'm saying this as someone who has driven over the Continental Divide -- in the snow -- multiple times. But it was worth it so I could make my FJ score 1/17. Yeay me!

I got it easily - but mostly because I live in the Pacific Northwest. We went to St. Helens 5 years after the eruption - pictures just don't capture the magnitude and utter destruction. Crater Lake is something to see too. Olympic mountains wasn't a bad guess, they're kind of in the neighborhood, as it were.

• Love 6