Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 36 (2019-2020)

Athena
  • Start Topic

It took me a bit to come up with Marathon, which I figured out by focusing on the significance of someone running so far.

For TSs, I got Nixon, Colin Jost, Tom Wolfe, Von Braun, and Pam Dawber. All names! I'm often bad with pulling names from my head. But then, I didn't get ALL the names.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't get FJ, though I should have done.  I recognized the name immediately when it was revealed.  But I knew I'd have a hard time with any clue in that category.

There were a lot of TS -- ones I wrote down include rood (rude), pawn, Tom Wolfe, and Pam Dawber.

I didn't remember any of those contestants tonight.

I was debating between Marathon and Thermopylae, but went with Marathon. 

To be fair, I mainly remember Pam Dawber as being Mark Harmon's wife, but did recall that his wife played Mindy. I only watched the show a few times as a child. 

As for the contestants, I only remembered Gilbert. 

12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't remember any of those contestants tonight.

Oddly, I recognized some of their names, and some of their occupations, but not their faces.

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

It took me a bit to come up with Marathon, which I figured out by focusing on the significance of someone running so far.

Might have done if the distance they had in the clue was the length of a marathon. But probably not - it was a bad night for me all around.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, DrScottie said:

To be fair, I mainly remember Pam Dawber as being Mark Harmon's wife, but did recall that his wife played Mindy. I only watched the show a few times as a child.

And Harmon also starred with Sasha Alexander (the previous clue) in NCIS's early years, before she left.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, DrScottie said:

To be fair, I mainly remember Pam Dawber as being Mark Harmon's wife

FYI, I also remember Pam Dawber from My Sister Sam - which is sadly now infamous because her costar was Rebecca Schaeffer who was murdered by an obsessed fan. 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I was debating between Marathon and Thermopylae, but went with Marathon. 

Same here, all the while being happy I watched Gerard Butler, I mean the movie 300 a zillion times.

Except that was Thermoplyae, not Marathon. but the Running Man tipped me correctly.

18 hours ago, Browncoat said:

There were a lot of TS -- ones I wrote down include rood (rude), pawn, Tom Wolfe, and Pam Dawber.

Yeah, I got all of those.  I know nothing about chess, but apparently I did have some idea that the Queen's gambit started with sacrificing a pawn.  Or it was a lucky guess.

That game was very uninspiring for a TOC game.  Or even a regular game.

I thought FJ was Kiddie Jeopardy level.  Of course, I'm good at Ancient History, so . . . it's easy if you know it, lol.

6 hours ago, ABay said:

I loved that the PBS multi-part documentary about the moon missions included that song.

• Love 2

Sigh. I feel like I may never get another FJ again. At this point, if the question was ‘This man, named George Washington and on the one dollar bill, was the first president of the USA’,  I’d probably write Millard Fillmore.

Edited by opus
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1

Was I hallucinating, or was there a $200 clue with a picture of Tom Hanks as Mr. Rogers, and nobody had a guess?  I mean, I know it's easy if you know it, but nobody knew it?

Edited by SoMuchTV
Stupid autocorrect
  • Love 10

Me during FJ:  Where was McKinley shot, where was McKinley shot, where was McKinley shottttt???? Chicago?  Oh well.

I did get Tom Hanks, crop top (thanks Dance Moms), cliff, Buddy Holly, Woolworth and Gilbert Stuart.  There were some pretty surprising misses.  I might have gotten hodgepodge had they not been board jumping.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I got Final Jeopardy thanks to Stephen Sondheim's Assassins:

Czolgosz, working man
Born in the middle of Michigan
Woke with a thought
And away he ran
To the Pan-American Exposition
In Buffalo
In Buffalo

• Love 3

Off to another banner start with a swing and a miss for FJ.  I thought about and discarded San Francisco and decided on the WAG of Chicago.  Yeah, I don't know.  I never ever would have come up with Buffalo. 

But at least I could get Tom Hanks with a photo*.  I also got crop top, cliff, Woolworth, and potassium.

*I also could have gotten Tom Hanks with that clue without the photo.

• Love 10

I ran the ion category - good thing, I think someone would have knocked on my door and taken my chemistry degree away if I hadn't. Also got Woolworth. My husband got FJ because he spent some time in Buffalo trying a case. He said you can't spend time there without knowing it's where McKinley was shot. 

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Really.  The game should have been canceled due to stupidity.

I read somewhere that there was a problem with the buzzers (or something like that) momentarily right after the clue was read... nobody could buzz in.

from the jeopardy fan site:

Andy’s Thoughts:

Before anyone accuses the three players of not knowing Tom Hanks (the BIOPICS $200 clue), it has been reported by audience members from this game that the lights on the signaling system malfunctioned (failed to activate properly) and the contestants were unable to buzz in. Since the judges determined that no one player was advantaged or disadvantaged, it was ruled as “no harm, no foul”, and the game would continue without a clue replacement.

Edited by Bliss
found it!
  • Useful 13
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Me during FJ:  Where was McKinley shot, where was McKinley shot, where was McKinley shottttt???? Chicago?  Oh well.

I did get Tom Hanks, crop top (thanks Dance Moms), cliff, Buddy Holly, Woolworth and Gilbert Stuart.  There were some pretty surprising misses.  I might have gotten hodgepodge had they not been board jumping.

I knew it was the McKinley assassination too, but I had no idea where it was either. I also guessed Chicago.

Got those and I suspect a couple of them might have been puzzled that Gary Busey was once nominated for an Academy Award.  

I have some hearing loss so I was having some problems with Kevin's trailing off with his responses. I needed the captions for missive and misdemeanor to make sure that's what he said. 

50 minutes ago, dcalley said:

(And the show needs to not subject us to a shirtless world leaders category ever again!)

Agreed! 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, dcalley said:

(And the show needs to not subject us to a shirtless world leaders category ever again!)

Agreed, but it could have been worse.

For FJ, I vacillated between St. Louis and Chicago.  Oh well.

• LOL 4
6 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Really.  The game should have been canceled due to stupidity.

I kept saying James would have known that tonight. There have been so many stories about Tom Hanks playing Mr. Rodgers that nobody should have missed that clue.

• Love 2

I'm glad we're back to regular play.  I feel relatively smart again🙂

I got the ts's of Tom Hanks, flower power, Buddy Holly, and the missed DD of Woolworth.

Of the three contestants, it was the Canadian who got FJ right. It was an instaget for me.  I didn't know Buffalo was The City of Light, but I knew McKinley was assassinated there in 1901, thanks, at least in part, to Murdoch Mysteries.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Off to another banner start with a swing and a miss for FJ.  I thought about and discarded San Francisco and decided on the WAG of Chicago.  Yeah, I don't know.  I never ever would have come up with Buffalo. 

But at least I could get Tom Hanks with a photo*.  I also got crop top, cliff, Woolworth, and potassium.

*I also could have gotten Tom Hanks with that clue without the photo.

*that would have at least required some specific knowledge of the roles Hanks is playing (ot - I wasn't at all interested in the movie until I saw the trailer, and now I'm on board)

11 hours ago, dcalley said:

"Castro" needs a BMS!

That's what we said! (well, we might have only thought the second thing)

12 hours ago, Bliss said:

I read somewhere that there was a problem with the buzzers (or something like that) momentarily right after the clue was read... nobody could buzz in.

from the jeopardy fan site:

Andy’s Thoughts:

Before anyone accuses the three players of not knowing Tom Hanks (the BIOPICS $200 clue), it has been reported by audience members from this game that the lights on the signaling system malfunctioned (failed to activate properly) and the contestants were unable to buzz in. Since the judges determined that no one player was advantaged or disadvantaged, it was ruled as “no harm, no foul”, and the game would continue without a clue replacement.

If that's true, it's pretty mean of them not to let the audience know in the same way Alex would mention a score change. It makes the contestants come off looking like idiots.

• Love 7

Obviously, I knew FJ was Buffalo (have I mentioned I'm from that area?) and also the War of 1812. Buffalo is The City of Light because it was the first city in the country to have electric streetlights, thanks to the hydro-electric power generated from Niagara Falls and the genius of Nikola Tesla.

The only building left from the 1901 expo now houses the historical society and is not the building where the assassination occurred. Teddy Roosevelt was sworn in in a house you can still visit.

I hope your husband enjoyed his stay, @chessiegal .

Edited by ABay
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

I am such an idiot.  All those times listening to Assassins (and I just saw a production) and I forgot " To the Temple of Music, By the Tower of Light, At the Pan-American Exposition, In Buffalo, In Buffalo."

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

If that's true, it's pretty mean of them not to let the audience know in the same way Alex would mention a score change. It makes the contestants come off looking like idiots.

And it might make Tom Hanks sad.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, dcalley said:

And it might make Tom Hanks sad.

Might be OT, but I heard an interview this weekend with a tv film critic who went to that film's premiere. Interviews the day before had been cancelled, but red carpet interviews were promised. But Mr. Hanks did not do those either, and all journalists who were there to get interviews were stiffed. Meanwhile, Mrs. Rogers (in her 90s) was gracious and kind to everyone, just like her husband was. She was in stark contrast to the "star" of the film about her husband's life.

Long story short, I don't care if Mr. Hanks is sad.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Might be OT, but I heard an interview this weekend with a tv film critic who went to that film's premiere. Interviews the day before had been cancelled, but red carpet interviews were promised. But Mr. Hanks did not do those either, and all journalists who were there to get interviews were stiffed. Meanwhile, Mrs. Rogers (in her 90s) was gracious and kind to everyone, just like her husband was. She was in stark contrast to the "star" of the film about her husband's life.

Long story short, I don't care if Mr. Hanks is sad.

Well, do we know why?  Maybe he had the flu and he didn't want to pass it on.  

• Love 4
17 hours ago, opus said:

Sigh. I feel like I may never get another FJ again. At this point, if the question was ‘This man, named George Washington and on the one dollar bill, was the first president of the USA’,  I’d probably write Millard Fillmore.

I said San Francisco even though I knew that was wrong.  Buffalo would never have crossed my mind.  I knew McKinley had been assassinated at a World's Fair-type thing, but not which one and not what year.  So nothing in that clue helped me at all.

I didn't even remember the returning champ - has it been that long or am I just getting old?

17 hours ago, Katy M said:

Buddy Holly

That one really surprised me.  And I was yelling "Woolworth" at the tv - I know that contestant was old enough to remember Woolworth's 5 & 10.

15 hours ago, dcalley said:

"Castro" needs a BMS!

I had my back to the tv at that point (I was taping it anyway) and answered "Putin" because well, as a later clue pointed out, is there anything he does with his shirt on?  And that picture of Bob Hawke in a Speedo - <shudder>.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Maybe he had the flu and he didn't want to pass it on.  

If so, his PR person could have said that instead of promising red-carpet interviews.

Yes, biak, Hanks was on the red carpet but left after short order, leaving the reporter (and his sound and camera persons) from Chicago, plus numerous other journalistic teams, with nothing after ALL were promised an interview.

I still don't care if Hanks is sad.

• Love 1

I got FJ right.  I miss Blockbuster.

I also got Zanzibar, Iron curtain, Voice vote, and Carribbean , although I clearly can't spell it.

Oddly enough I got the entire Boston Fire Boat category right.  And I didn't get any category entirely wrong.  I did miss a couple that I knew that I just couldn't access quick enough (Roald Dahl for one, argh).  I hate being old.

• Love 3

At last!  I got an FJ right!  And it was an instaget, too.  I even still have my Blockbuster card.

I also got voice vote, and greasepaint.

I'm sure they asked, but I do give props to Johnny and Alex for pronouncing "Henrico" correctly.  Even some of our local news readers here in Virginia have screwed that one up.

• Love 6

I wasn't home last night, and didn't have time to check the archive today, which worked out fine since last night's episode is airing tonight. 

World Leaders Revealed had to include Putin, so I laughed at the wording of his clue.

The seemingly inexplicable Tom Hanks TS has been explained (and should have been on the show), but I still cannot believe flower power and crop top were TS.  Cliff and Buddy Holly surprised me a little. 

I correctly predicted only one would get FJ, though (I had no idea who, just that it was a 1 of 3 type of clue).

Despite the missed DD of Woolworth (I thought he'd get that!), Kevin played an impressive game. 

5 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

No Jeopardy in Chicagoland today. Stupid impeachment hearings.

Football preempted LA last night, so our episodes are a day behind. I thought I was going crazy that all conversation about "tonight's" clues were dated yesterday. 

Pooh: "Wait! That's not how you pronounce Milne."

Me: "They still gave her credit."

Pooh: "Oh, bother! Where's my honey?"

Me: "Silly old bear."

Seriously, though. That annoyed me (us).

I'm happy for the new champ. He seemed bummed when he missed Caribbean because he forgot the category.

FJ=instaget.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Seriously, though. That annoyed me.

Me too. It's not even close to the correct pronunciation.  It's like giving an incorrect date. Would they accept "George Bash" or "Dr. Snooze"?

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Seriously, though. That annoyed me (us).

I'm happy for the new champ. He seemed bummed when he missed Caribbean because he forgot the category.

FJ=instaget.

Why do they allow mispronunciations but don't cut you any slack if you omit an "s" at the end to pluralize a certain word? Sometimes their "rules" are arbitrary.

How does one pronounce Henrico? I heard something, but it was garbled on our TV.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Thanks to John Oliver, Russel Crowe’s jockstrap and Chlamydia ridden Koalas FJ was an IG.

???????????

It was only recently that I found the correct pronunciation of Milne, due to the two recent movies, and I thought her pronunciation was pretty close.  I'm not sure I'd pronounce it correctly in a pinch.

• Love 1