Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

It’s not a musical, but Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch makes my heart go pitter-patter. 

Wandering back into Topicville, how many weeks have they been married?  Isn’t time for a pregnancy announcement?

They've been married about 6 weeks. I give it another 6 weeks before they announce.

• Love 2

The awkwardness between Lauren and Josiah is so thick - Lauren's only been shown a few times on TV before this week's episode (Josiah talking to Dwain), I don't see how anybody is supposed to buy into it. Maybe Jim Bob set it up just to keep the show going; it seems hard to imagine what they would show on TV if every season wasn't revolving around a wedding or a baby.

• Love 4
On 7/24/2018 at 1:56 PM, Heathen said:

I've heard of several weddings where guests were invited to the reception but NOT the ceremony itself. Now that's tacky. One was a fundie-lite/hypocrite wedding where the reception was a few weeks later, post-honeymoon. The other was a regular reception-following-ceremony wedding. 

I don't think it's tacky at all to do it that way.  My friend had to do it that way because her church was really really small and there was no way everyone would fit (and it was in June with no a/c) and it was the church she grew up in so there was no alternative to a bigger venue.  So instead of possibly having people feel bad that they weren't invited at all, she just invited them to the reception, which I think most people would think is the best part anyways. The ceremony was maybe 15 min long. 

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I'm just wondering, how do the Swansons afford that huge house? Do you think JB is subsidizing them?

Lauren’s Dad owns a lawn care service, he probably does well for himself as a small business owner. 

13 hours ago, gunderda said:

I don't think it's tacky at all to do it that way.  My friend had to do it that way because her church was really really small and there was no way everyone would fit (and it was in June with no a/c) and it was the church she grew up in so there was no alternative to a bigger venue.  So instead of possibly having people feel bad that they weren't invited at all, she just invited them to the reception, which I think most people would think is the best part anyways. The ceremony was maybe 15 min long. 

One of the ninja’s best friends married the guy she’d been living with for about 8 years and only the parents, siblings and VSF like the ninja were invited to the ceremony. I and all the other friends & fam were invited to the reception only. When I asked, the ninja groused that she’d be more than happy to trade places with me and not to have to get up early, stand in the sunshine, etc. LOL

We knew the couple were compatible & loved each other — we didn’t need to see them make their vows.  And the reception was one of the very best I’ve attended. Just my experience but reception-only works great AFAIC!

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, floridamom said:

The Swansons lived in Georgia, now they live in Arkansas. How does one 'move an existing lawn care business' to Arkansas? You can't move grass.

Are we sure he moved the business? He's the owner, but I'm sure he has employees. At this point, he could have other people running the day-to-day operations. 

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I read somewhere that Lauren's dad runs a "ministry " that involves trying to convert gay men to be straight. Has anyone else heard this?

Oh, Lort I hope not. I hope Josiah wasn't one of his converts if it's true?????

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I read somewhere that Lauren's dad runs a "ministry " that involves trying to convert gay men to be straight. Has anyone else heard this?

He is one if the founders of Courageous Men of the World, I haven't heard anything about gay conversion but it seems like something they would do.

On 8/24/2018 at 1:52 PM, Christina87 said:

I'm just wondering, how do the Swansons afford that huge house? Do you think JB is subsidizing them?

He owns several businesses:

In my work I am Self employed and serve as president of Central GA Lawn & Design, LLC a landscape, maintenance, and irrigation company and president of Swanson Construction where I serve as a general contractor for new construction and remodels. I love all aspects of business Ownership and love encouraging others to have there on business as well as encourage other men in the Lord!

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Lunera said:

He is one if the founders of Courageous Men of the World, I haven't heard anything about gay conversion but it seems like something they would do.

He owns several businesses:

In my work I am Self employed and serve as president of Central GA Lawn & Design, LLC a landscape, maintenance, and irrigation company and president of Swanson Construction where I serve as a general contractor for new construction and remodels. I love all aspects of business Ownership and love encouraging others to have there on business as well as encourage other men in the Lord!

Hmm, I found the organization's site:

http://courageousmenoftheword.com/

Such awkward grammar on the page that it's hard for me to figure out what they really do! Providing accountability for other men? Definitely seems like praying away the gay could be involved.

• Love 12
28 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I don't know why they don't use an editor before they publish this kind of mess.

Where would they find one they would think is acceptable?  It would have to be someone from their group and so far none of them have mastered standard grammar.

• Love 14

There have been several men's Christian groups over the past few decades: Promise Keepers, Men's Frat, and others are generally designed to encourage men to take leadership roles in their churches, homes, and communities. Courageous was also the name of a Christian movie released a few years ago about men stepping up to be better fathers and husbands. In my experience, none of these had anything to do with gay conversion. 

This group could be different, but the website sounds similar to me.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, sleepysuzy said:

There have been several men's Christian groups over the past few decades: Promise Keepers, Men's Frat, and others are generally designed to encourage men to take leadership roles in their churches, homes, and communities. Courageous was also the name of a Christian movie released a few years ago about men stepping up to be better fathers and husbands. In my experience, none of these had anything to do with gay conversion. 

This group could be different, but the website sounds similar to me.

I think you're right. It's hard to read through the jargon and random capitalization and punctuation, but it looks like one of these Study the Bible to Learn How to Fulfill Your Headship Duties in a Godly Manner groups.  A lot of evangelical churches have them. I don't think it's about gay conversion per se, but I imagine they know just the place to send someone who could "benefit" from that type of "therapy."

• Love 3
1 hour ago, kokapetl said:

Lol, she’s a girl, she bakes cakes (jk). 

And she prays that sperm will collide with egg. I can't see Lauren wanting to wait to produce a blessing.

The Swansons are probably a lot like the Duggars in their beliefs. Poor Josiah. 

• Love 2

Regarding the story of David Waller, Pecan Thief - how could the farmer have shot them if the police were there?  Would that not have been against the law?  The whole story seems...exaggerated. 

I hope Lauren and Josiah are happy, but they both seem awfully young.  I thought Austin and Joy seemed young, but Austin at least had experience working for himself and knew he was capable of supporting a wife and kids.  Josiah seems to do a lot of "helping out".

I know people change a lot when they grow up, but I remember Josiah and Joy as the two kids who did interviews together and seemed so close.  She was little firecracker, and he was a lot like Smugger but had an energy and zest about him.  Now, they both seems kind of blah.  Joy has no energy or interest in anything at all, and seems to have the intellect of a slug,  and although Josiah is slightly better he just isn't as interested in life as he had been.  It's not as though they're in their 70s - they are in their very early 20s!  It's really rather sad.

• Love 14
24 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

Regarding the story of David Waller, Pecan Thief - how could the farmer have shot them if the police were there?  Would that not have been against the law?  The whole story seems...exaggerated. 

I hope Lauren and Josiah are happy, but they both seem awfully young.  I thought Austin and Joy seemed young, but Austin at least had experience working for himself and knew he was capable of supporting a wife and kids.  Josiah seems to do a lot of "helping out".

I know people change a lot when they grow up, but I remember Josiah and Joy as the two kids who did interviews together and seemed so close.  She was little firecracker, and he was a lot like Smugger but had an energy and zest about him.  Now, they both seems kind of blah.  Joy has no energy or interest in anything at all, and seems to have the intellect of a slug,  and although Josiah is slightly better he just isn't as interested in life as he had been.  It's not as though they're in their 70s - they are in their very early 20s!  It's really rather sad.

Yes I agree. Had there been no tv show (and no fame/money) I think Joy-Anna & Josiah would’ve been two kids that would’ve jumped ship together, gotten minimum wage jobs and roommates just to get out of that mess.....and been close even if they weren’t close to JB & Michelle any more. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

I’ve hardly ever watched the show, but I did watch one of the recent snippets of the younger girls and Jana coming over to listen to Joy’s uterus to find the heartbeat. I felt like I was watching an episode of Christy (remember that show?) featuring a poor early-20th-century Appalachian teen bride who’s been forced into marriage and pregnancy, sapped of all energy, and devoid of any personal agency. Her affect was almost completely flat.

That girl was once a “firecracker?” Seriously? Wow. 

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 9
13 minutes ago, Abstract said:

That girl was once a “firecracker?” Seriously? Wow. 

Sadly, she was. On the original series, Joy was a spunky tomboy always outside, running around with her brothers. She was very close to Si until puberty hit and she was shoved into the kitchen to begin her indoctrination training as a Sister-Mom.

I don't think Joy took care of herself during pregnancy and felt like crap as a result, but I also don't think she was mentally prepared for a baby. There's nothing in her eyes, affect or words that suggests even the bare minimum of excitement. 

• Love 19
6 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

What's the story about David Waller, pecan thief?

Lauren's dad just strikes me as creepy.  The marriage of Si and Lauren had to be a business deal with Boob, seems to me.

There all business deals except one was brokered by Jessa instead of Jim Bob.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, kokapetl said:

22 HOURS AGO,  FUZZYSOX SAID: 

aaannnndddd what the heck does Lauren do all day?

Lol, she’s a girl, she bakes cakes (jk). 

Aaaaaaaaaaand she “makes sandwiches.”  ??

• Love 7

I had never read that story before.  It sounds like something Jill R would post, complete with twisting the narrative to minimize his actions and to fit whatever “Christian” message he wanted to convey.

• Love 5
On 8/24/2018 at 10:08 AM, gunderda said:

Agreed.  This became kind of trend about 10 years ago for 2nd marriages.  They’d get married with their super close friends and family present (maybe 20 people max) then have a larger party/reception either later that date or when they returned from their honeymoon.  

Ive only seen one wedding where 200+ people were invited to the ceremony and only about 50 to the reception.  Heck, two women I know threw a shower for the couple and weren’t invited.  About 50 more people that weren’t invited to the reception showed up there, assuming they were invited. Lots of people were upset and/embarrassed.  If you want to invite 372837 people to the ceremony then do cake and punch in the reception hall ala Duggar style...except the parking lot in November is just unacceptable 

Edited by Soaper410
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

How can you be best friends with someone you've never spent time alone with or had a private conversation with? They all say it and I roll my eyes so hard every time,

Because, Jesus said this was their soul mate, so it's automatic. Or something. 

• Love 10

There's that 'best friend' thing again. I completely agree that one can't be your 'best friend' when you have known them for such a short time and have never spend one moment alone together OR have had the opportunity to speak to each other alone and let your hair down...to really be YOU. They don't have any idea who the other actually is since they marry when still on their 'company behavior'...two months in? They're still at that polite, company stage. Just clueless.

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, floridamom said:

There's that 'best friend' thing again. I completely agree that one can't be your 'best friend' when you have known them for such a short time and have never spend one moment alone together OR have had the opportunity to speak to each other alone and let your hair down...to really be YOU. They don't have any idea who the other actually is since they marry when still on their 'company behavior'...two months in? They're still at that polite, company stage. Just clueless.

I think they likely don't even know who they are as individuals, let alone knowing each other. Josiah certainly wouldn't have had a chance to know himself, given that Duggar modus operandi is to quash any sign of individuality outside of very conscribed gender-specific roles.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 9