Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, lascuba said:

I'm late to this but I'm watching the wedding episode now, and:

"He's matured a lot since Lauren, though, so he's more quiet sometimes."

HOW IS THAT NOT A RED FLAG TO THOSE WHO ARE SUPPOSED TO KNOW HIM BEST?!  Talkative extroverts, help me out here. Is having more quiet moments than usual a positive sign? Bad? Neutral?

I’m a talkative extrovert. I’m quiet when I’m sick, angry or stressed out. 

• Love 16
On 7/16/2018 at 1:55 AM, Lunera said:

Screenshot_20180715-212802.thumb.jpg.5d2183dfdc1aa9b556de5bd2e4f87a87.jpgScreenshot_20180715-224846-573x474.jpg.8a3752b68ceaccbf348ac96bd2c84157.jpg

First thing I noticed in the second photo is that one of these families is harboring a young Daenerys Targaryen. Also, I thought Kendra's sister was Kendra.

• Love 13
(edited)

I remember when Josiah announced his courtship with Marjorie, they were both acting like dramatic goofballs. I don't think he feels comfortable being himself in front of Lauren. Marje was a lot more worldly than Josiah and Lauren is as sheltered as they get. 

Edited by Lunera
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, Fuzzysox said:

Josiah seemed more filled with life when he was with Marjorie. He probably loved going over to her house where he could actually learn something, some Spanish, a little desktop publishing, and use his mind because Marjorie's family favors having a good education. 

He seems to have died now. Lauren is just like his mom. She says everything see was taught at Gothard brainwashing camp. She is just a plain vanilla cookie and Marjorie was a spicy chocolate cookie. I'd take the spicy chocolate cookie anyday.

So much word!

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Lunera said:

His attitude change is a huge red flag, idk how his sisters can be happy for him.

Joy certainly didn't look thrilled at all. Jana just looked like her lovely self hoping for the best for Josiah. IDK only time will tell.

I'm wondering how Josiah will react when he runs into Marjorie? In their circles they are bound to run into each other. Will Lauren allow him to walk over to talk to her? 

• Love 4

I agree with whomever said they are already engaged. Just waiting till JinJer have the baby so as to not steal thunder. Because Lauren's Shower was ruined by Kendra going into labor. And an impending Vuolo bambino. No more upstaging the one thing that poor girl ever had to look forward to her entire childhood. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Lunera said:

ezgif-3-b7d0584bab.gif.e05d6c995cb2bb870d162deeec71d67a.gifSomeone on tumblr gifed it 

Over the years, I've watched a lot of fundie weddings on this board.  I've noticed that so many attendees chew gum in church.  I gave up church 17 years ago, but I was raised in church, and no one ever chewed gum!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Lunera said:

I remember when Josiah announced his courtship with Marjorie, they were both acting like dramatic goofballs. I don't think he feels comfortable being himself in front of Lauren. Marje was a lot more worldly than Josiah and Lauren is as sheltered as they get. 

1 hour ago, Fuzzysox said:

Josiah seemed more filled with life when he was with Marjorie. He probably loved going over to her house where he could actually learn something, some Spanish, a little desktop publishing, and use his mind because Marjorie's family favors having a good education. 

He seems to have died now. Lauren is just like his mom. She says everything she was taught at Gothard brainwashing camp. She is just a plain vanilla cookie and Marjorie was a spicy chocolate cookie. I'd take the spicy chocolate cookie any day.

This effectively describes the differences between Marjorie and Lauren in a nutshell. And believe me, despite both being uber religious, Marjorie and Lauren are VASTLY different.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Hopefully he's saying to Abbie - Miss Cindy will be nowhere near the wedding.  You get to pick all of your bridesmaids and none of my sisters have to be one if you don't want them too.  Forget painted tires and candy bars.  How does Vegas sound?

Well done!

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm glad Josiah didn't end up with Marjorie. Not because of Josiah, but because of Marjorie.

She's doing so well in life, more than I think she would be able to do if she was married already. OK, maybe Josiah would be different than otther Duggars, maybe they would move out and not have kids soon. But I somehow doubt it

Even Jinger didn't get pregnant for only a year, and everyone was  already asking about a baby 

Edited by Snow Fairy
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

Hopefully he's saying to Abbie - Miss Cindy will be nowhere near the wedding.  You get to pick all of your bridesmaids and none of my sisters have to be one if you don't want them too.  Forget painted tires and candy bars.  How does Vegas sound?

He's saying "See, thats the crazy shit I've been telling you about"

• Love 16
36 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

He's saying "See, thats the crazy shit I've been telling you about"

He's saying, "See, that's exactly why we need to practice our 'first kiss.'"

• Love 15
9 hours ago, louannems said:

Over the years, I've watched a lot of fundie weddings on this board.  I've noticed that so many attendees chew gum in church.  I gave up church 17 years ago, but I was raised in church, and no one ever chewed gum!

I have noticed that for a lot of the newer protestant denominations they have moved away from the concept of a church being a sacred space.  Churches have become auditoriums where coffee, popcorn, gum, etc are all okay during the services.  My sister and brother-in-law attend a church with a coffee bar, and one mega-church wannabe in my town had popcorn and drinks for its service.  This church uses part of the local convention center for its services and I saw the room one Sunday after.  The staff of the convention center was cleaning up full on meals that the attendees had brought with them.  I do not understand this trend, but I was raised Catholic and this would never fly in our faith. 

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have noticed that for a lot of the newer protestant denominations they have moved away from the concept of a church being a sacred space.  Churches have become auditoriums where coffee, popcorn, gum, etc are all okay during the services.  My sister and brother-in-law attend a church with a coffee bar, and one mega-church wannabe in my town had popcorn and drinks for its service.  This church uses part of the local convention center for its services and I saw the room one Sunday after.  The staff of the convention center was cleaning up full on meals that the attendees had brought with them.  I do not understand this trend, but I was raised Catholic and this would never fly in our faith. 

It's my informal observation that the more fundie the denomination, the more cavalier they are about dressing in a traditionally appropriate manner for church, and the more likely they are to treat church like going to a movie. I knew some Assembly of God born-agains when I was growing up. They were all about church three times a week and only "Christian" music and so on. Their kids wore short-shorts and tank tops to church and ate candy bars during the service and chewed gum like cows chewing their cuds. (Their family was also the biggest hypocrites in town -- all about promiscuity and adultery and scams and treating other people like garbage. But it was okay because they were "Christian.")

My grandparents were devout ELCA Lutherans (it obviously didn't take with me). They always dressed nicely even when they lived in hot-ass Florida, and coffee/cookies/snacks were for after church, not during. 

Now get off my lawn. 

• Love 23
(edited)
4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I was born and raised Catholic and for me church is a sacred place.  When I walk in I get my Holy water and do the sign of the cross, I'm quiet and respectful too. It is a place for worship and contemplation not a party place. Now outside the actual church (outside or in the lobby), that's where the talking gets done, you meet and great people or there might be snacks set up. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 18
(edited)
18 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

I agree with whomever said they are already engaged. Just waiting till JinJer have the baby so as to not steal thunder. Because Lauren's Shower was ruined by Kendra going into labor. And an impending Vuolo bambino. No more upstaging the one thing that poor girl ever had to look forward to her entire childhood. 

I'm thinking it will be announced on Monday. Slow news day.

October wedding because JD has waited all his life. Now let's get this show on the road already!

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I was born and raised Catholic and for me church is a sacred place.  When I walk in I get my Holy water and do the sign of the cross, I'm quiet and respectful too. It is a place for worship and contemplation not a party place. Now outside the actual church (outside or in the lobby), that's where the talking gets done, you meet and great people or there might be snacks set up. 

Absolutely agree that coffee, etc. is for the ‘fellowship hall’.  My parents and I do surreptitiously occasionally chew gum if we think we need help staying awake.  Obviously we don’t blow bubbles with it and don’t pull it in and out of our mouths like kids with bubblegum. ?

• Love 7

I was raised Mormon, and the sacrament room where we had our first hour was very sacred, although kids were allowed to bring in snacks like goldfish and coloring books (best religious ones) to keep them from screaming.  We had a kitchen in the church though...attached to the relief society (women) room. 

• Love 1

I was raised Southern Baptist and the idea of food in the service would have horrified everyone. That’s what the fellowship hall was for - potlucks and weddings (with cake, fruit, nuts and mints only.) But then again I never wore anything but dresses and skirts to church unless it was a Wednesday night. I go to a largish non-denominational church now and some people bring water or coffee into the service but I haven’t seen food, except maybe snacks for young children which doesn’t bother me. Adult food would definitively bother me. I like the more relaxed atmosphere rather than what I grew up with but I still want some reverence in the sanctuary.  Gum in church? Heck no. Although I’m incredibly biased. I went to etiquette classes growing up and was told gum was only to be chewed “by yourself, in your room, with the door locked, under your bed.” That stuck with me. I sound like an old fuddy-duddy, but I feel like more and more people are chewing gum anywhere and everywhere and doing it loudly with their mouth open. I’ve seen people on tv giving interviews, my co-worker who answers the phone and greets the public, and now wedding guests. Close your mouth if you chew gum and consider where you are. And get off my lawn!

• Love 13
12 minutes ago, marypat57 said:

In the Catholic church I attend, the only eating that I've seen (outside of communion) is very small children with Cheerios, goldfish crackers or the like.  The choir members ususally have a water bottle handy.

One of the pastors told a story about a young mother who came into the confessional room with her toddler.  After he gave her absolution, and she left the confessional, he noticed 2 or 3 little Cheerios on the floor.  He picked up the Cheerios and kept them to remember the difficulties and sacrifices that parents make to raise their children.  He actually had those Cheerios put into lucite and kept them on his desk.  

While I am pretty irretrievably lapsed as both a Catholic and a theist of any stripe, this does rather warm my heart...All Catholic scandals aside (and while there's some horrible stuff there, the majority are good people), they are still a lot more accepting of a lot of things than most of the fundie sects. I'd imagine anyone even loosely linked with the Gothard/Pearl type would pretty much beat any fussing or whining out of their kids before they rewarded it with snacks.

On the other hand, I know a family (mid-generation to me - about 10-15 years older) whose Catholic parents spanked them every Sunday before church to remind them to behave, then again afterwards because they always deserved it for something. They did actually grow up to be wonderful people whose kids are also staunch Catholics who are bringing up their kids on the same track. Though without the ritualistic spankings. I honestly cannot understand how this is even possible...

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Heathen said:

It's my informal observation that the more fundie the denomination, the more cavalier they are about dressing in a traditionally appropriate manner for church, and the more likely they are to treat church like going to a movie. I knew some Assembly of God born-agains when I was growing up. They were all about church three times a week and only "Christian" music and so on. Their kids wore short-shorts and tank tops to church and ate candy bars during the service and chewed gum like cows chewing their cuds. (Their family was also the biggest hypocrites in town -- all about promiscuity and adultery and scams and treating other people like garbage. But it was okay because they were "Christian.")

My grandparents were devout ELCA Lutherans (it obviously didn't take with me). They always dressed nicely even when they lived in hot-ass Florida, and coffee/cookies/snacks were for after church, not during. 

Now get off my lawn. 

ELCA is Scandinavian Lutheran.  All show at church, but not remotely similar to German Lutherans.  You might have enjoyed the ELCAs.  My aunt was ELCA,  and from childhood, I wanted to join her church rather the place where my mother worshiped.  At least the ELCAs smiled at each other!

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

ELCA is Scandinavian Lutheran.  All show at church, but not remotely similar to German Lutherans.  You might have enjoyed the ELCAs.  My aunt was ELCA,  and from childhood, I wanted to join her church rather the place where my mother worshiped.  At least the ELCAs smiled at each other!

My grandparents were the children of German immigrants. 

Back on topic: Where are the Josiahs honeymooning? 

Edited by Heathen
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, ramble said:

I went to etiquette classes growing up and was told gum was only to be chewed “by yourself, in your room, with the door locked, under your bed.” That stuck with me. I sound like an old fuddy-duddy, but I feel like more and more people are chewing gum anywhere and everywhere and doing it loudly with their mouth open. I’ve seen people on tv giving interviews, my co-worker who answers the phone and greets the public, and now wedding guests. Close your mouth if you chew gum and consider where you are. And get off my lawn!

I had to chew gum constantly as a kid because of my Eustachian tubes not functioning properly. I even had a doctor's note to carry around since it was banned in most places. It's interesting to see how much has changed in the past little bit. I have profound hearing loss as an adult so I've stopped chewing gum since there's no point.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Rumor has it that a Pinterest attributed to Lauren heavily hinted at Hawaii. 

Are they back from their honeymoon yet? So weird that lately everything is so hush, hush. I don't even know the Duggars anymore. They built their brand on famewhoring now we get radio silence and I hate it. lol

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

Are they back from their honeymoon yet? So weird that lately everything is so hush, hush. I don't even know the Duggars anymore. They built their brand on famewhoring now we get radio silence and I hate it. lol

If TLC paid for the honeymoon, then TLC calls the shots on publicity. Maybe TLC slapped the lid on social media posts from the trip to help the network tease it and bump their viewer numbers. Or, maybe they didn't get the positive responses they expected after posting that awful YouTube video, so they have voluntarily STFU. 

And also, this is the, what, seventh? tenth? Duggarling to get married. It's not like anything new and different. Duggars get married and procreate. It's their job. There's nothing special about this couple except their painful-to-watch "we're pretending that we enjoy being married" YT video. 

• Love 9
(edited)
On 7/21/2018 at 8:26 AM, Jeeves said:

If TLC paid for the honeymoon, then TLC calls the shots on publicity. Maybe TLC slapped the lid on social media posts from the trip to help the network tease it and bump their viewer numbers. Or, maybe they didn't get the positive responses they expected after posting that awful YouTube video, so they have voluntarily STFU. 

And also, this is the, what, seventh? tenth? Duggarling to get married. It's not like anything new and different. Duggars get married and procreate. It's their job. There's nothing special about this couple except their painful-to-watch "we're pretending that we enjoy being married" YT video. 

But, but we have nothing to snark on if they keep quiet. They'll be back sure as the sun rises they too will come out of hiding.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 5

This is from the Duggar Family Blog about SiRen's wedding.  I swear both the cats and my husband were like, what are you laughing at hysterically?

The mother of the groom and mother of the bride walk in together with Josiah, each wearing stylish, pink gowns that are knee-length.  Who managed to convince Me'chelle that that was stylish?  I do hope it was Jana.

• Love 21

Michelle should be old enough to know to stay out of the junior department.  She needs to look in the more mature offerings sections and probably look at advertised as MOB/MOG dresses.  I have Michelle's figure and it's important to figure out what to do not to emphasize that bust line.  It doesn't have to be as extreme as Queen Elizabeth, but there is much to be learned from her as in a dress that doesn't cling to figure flaws.  

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Rumor has it that a Pinterest attributed to Lauren heavily hinted at Hawaii. 

Ugh, of course. I’m jealous. After my husband and I waiting until 30 (educated and years of work experience) to get married, my dream honeymoon was Hawaii...went to a travel agent and quickly realized we weren’t able to afford it. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Farmfam said:

Ugh, of course. I’m jealous. After my husband and I waiting until 30 (educated and years of work experience) to get married, my dream honeymoon was Hawaii...went to a travel agent and quickly realized we weren’t able to afford it. 

This just reminded me of something. I recently received a shower invitation. They are registered at Bed Bath and Beyond, Pottery Barn, and with a travel agency. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I’ve encountered quite a few registries with honeymoons on them.  Is that a thing now? Call me a jerk if you want, but no way am I contributing to the cost of your honeymoon when I can look at your reception and see where $30K of your budget went.  How about you go a little simpler on the wedding and reception and pay for your own trip.  The gift grabbiness is out of control. 

I certainly respect your view point, but these days when most people live on their own before marriage, I’d rather give “x dollars” as a gift towards your honeymoon than a plate set/toaster/waffle maker that you already have two of and are trying to get rid of. 

I do know many people (who are financially established, or a second marriage) that in lieu of gifts to please donate to their favorite charities- that’s very generous. 

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I certainly respect your view point, but these days when most people live on their own before marriage, I’d rather give “x dollars” as a gift towards your honeymoon than a plate set/toaster/waffle maker that you already have two of and are trying to get rid of. 

I do know many people (who are financially established, or a second marriage) that in lieu of gifts to please donate to their favorite charities- that’s very generous. 

Charities and what not make sense.  I guess I should be more specific since tgere was one extreme case.   I actually went to a wedding for a friend who owned a home, lived at home for free while renting out that home, registered for an entirely new home of items from Dillards, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Pottery Barn, and still registered for money towards an exotic homeymoon safari.  All while simultaneously bragging about the $30K+ plus reception and this not a HCOL area either.  That’s the kind of tackiness that bothers me.  People that want everything on someone else’s dime, not the couples who ask in lieu of the toaster or things they don’t need.  Oh and did I mention the gofundme or whatever they used to register for the cash for the down payment for a new house too?  I’d never seen anything quite like it, and five years later they still haven’t taken that honeymoon. 

• Love 15
6 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Charities and what not make sense.  I guess I should be more specific since tgere was one extreme case.   I actually went to a wedding for a friend who owned a home, lived at home for free while renting out that home, registered for an entirely new home of items from Dillards, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Pottery Barn, and still registered for money towards an exotic homeymoon safari.  All while simultaneously bragging about the $30K+ plus reception and this not a HCOL area either.  That’s the kind of tackiness that bothers me.  People that want everything on someone else’s dime, not the couples who ask in lieu of the toaster or things they don’t need.  Oh and did I mention the gofundme or whatever they used to register for the cash for the down payment for a new house too?  I’d never seen anything quite like it, and five years later they still haven’t taken that honeymoon. 

That’s INTENSE ???. This is the first year in 8 years that I haven’t had a wedding in my social calendar (just the age I’m in), but that is gift grabby to the extreme. 

• Love 3