Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

There are plenty of lovely updo styles -- these aren't the only options. I attended a wedding a few months ago and wore my hair up -- I went to a salon and had it done. I can't tell you how many compliments that I received on it, and I have to admit that it was tremendously gratifying. I'm not an attractive 20 something either. So few people make any effort on their appearance these days, that something as simple as making an effort with your hair really gets noticed. 

I agree that Lauren could have really stunned if she had made some effort with her hair. Part of the hair ritual in the bygone days that Gothardites are so desperate to recreate is that young girls wore their hair down, and married women wore it up. It makes sense -- young girls are carefree, and married women are busy. A young woman with young children can't be expected to care for her children and manage her household and keep her long hair clean and unruffled. I'm looking at you Jill and Jessa.

• Love 4
(edited)
47 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

There are plenty of lovely updo styles -- these aren't the only options. I attended a wedding a few months ago and wore my hair up -- I went to a salon and had it done. I can't tell you how many compliments that I received on it, and I have to admit that it was tremendously gratifying. I'm not an attractive 20 something either. So few people make any effort on their appearance these days, that something as simple as making an effort with your hair really gets noticed. 

I agree that Lauren could have really stunned if she had made some effort with her hair. Part of the hair ritual in the bygone days that Gothardites are so desperate to recreate is that young girls wore their hair down, and married women wore it up. It makes sense -- young girls are carefree, and married women are busy. A young woman with young children can't be expected to care for her children and manage her household and keep her long hair clean and unruffled. I'm looking at you Jill and Jessa.

Ironically, neither Gothard Queen Michelle Duggar nor Crown Princess Kelly Bates or whatever Terri Maxwell wears her hair up. More cherry-picking from the olden days by GotHardites. 

Edited by Heathen
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Don't forget Joy. Ugh.

I can never unsee that episode where Joy and Austin were going on a date and Joy and Austin were looking for her old stinky shoes, and the bottoms of her feet were black. I can only imagine she was a stinky bride with stinky feet. Disgusting. 

• Love 14
(edited)
On 7/16/2018 at 9:23 PM, mynextmistake said:

I like the idea behind Jinger’s dresses and I like the styling of the dresses themselves. I do not like the range of colors she chose. When I have seen this idea work before it has always been dresses that are different shades of the same color (e.g. pale blue to navy) or are within the same color family (e.g autumn colors... I had a friend who did that theme and her bridesmaids were in deep red, burnt orange (it looked way better than it sounds), a deep gold color and chocolate brown). Jinger’s could have worked if she stuck with shades of red, or even the reds and the peach/beigey shades, but Jana’s blue and Jill’s bright purple just don’t look right.

Exactly!

I didn’t see the Babes’ Wedding, but was there ever an explanation about the color choices for her bridesmaid dresses? Did Jinger choose the style and the girls chose their own color? I have spent far too long thinking about this. In all seriousness, I always thought Jinger’s dress was stunning, but I was floored at the colors of her bridesmaids’ dresses. And not in a good way. They reminded me of Alyssa Bates’ god awful hot pink & blue dresses: “What are those?!”

Let’s just be thankful no one has chosen mustard yellow yet! ?

It looks like Jessa was too cheap to even spring for jewelry for her bridal party. All those different (or non-existent) necklaces really sucked any attempt at a cohesive look down the drain. Same with Joy. Maybe it’s a SoCal thing, but it’s common for the bride to gift her bridal party with matching earrings or a necklace/pendant to wear on the wedding day. 

Joy’s dresses were hideous too - and navy blue makes up about 50% of my wardrobe and is one of my favorite colors. They looked like cheap, shiny polyester dresses and were totally shapeless. Jessa’s looked like they were already starting to pill. A few of the bridesmaids looked like their dresses were a bit snug too and that wasn’t a forgiving fabric for those slender girls! 

I wonder if Jessa & Joy paid for the dresses, hence their horrible choices? If not, I bet that everyone in their bridal party would’ve ponied up more money to wear a dress that was made from a decent material and photographed well. 

Despite the brown belts & four foot long modesty panels, Jill’s dresses were far and away nicer than Jessa and Joy’s. At least her bridal party had matching necklaces!

I cannot wait to see what Jana chooses when/if she gets married because I have no doubt her dress, the color scheme and bridesmaids’ dresses will be stunning.

In the photo from SiRen’s “reception”, nearly all of Lauren’s bridesmaids were holding their hands/arms in front of their stomachs - a definite nonverbal sign at how uncomfortable they felt in those dresses. Also, it looks like Nostrils is attempting to stifle a yawn. Jerk.

I did like seeing that Josiah did wear some “fun” socks on his wedding day. Too bad he wasn’t rocking a bow tie or something else that would compliment his former personality, but I was glad to see that wee touch. I couldn’t zoom in enough to see the pattern, but I hope they were something snarky. He probably had to run to the bathroom and put them on at the last minute, but at least it was something!

Idea for Lauren Caldwell & Sinner Twin’s couple name: Lauremiah or Lauresin. 

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 5
58 minutes ago, Bridget said:

Idea for Lauren Caldwell & Sinner Twin’s couple name: Lauremiah or Lauresin. 

They're not a couple yet, but if it happens, we'll keep this in mind. I could see Lauren C with someone else, but it would be nice if she didn't have to get married and could do something else. As for the twins, I can never remember which one is Sinner/Saint, Jed/Jer, or match to the name to the face. 

• Love 1
On 7/14/2018 at 9:48 PM, mynextmistake said:

Wow. That seems kind of... cold. (Not you, six, but the idea that people would skip a wedding reception because it wasn’t fancy enough for them.) I was brought up that you graciously accept hospitality when it is offered with the understanding that what people are offering is usually the best they can do. I’ve been to wedding receptions with candlelit sit-down meals and wedding receptions with a Costco cake and plastic cups of Hawaiian Punch and everything in between, and they’ve all been equally joyful and loving occasions. Maybe i’m old-fashioned, but when I go to a wedding it’s because I want to show love and support to the couple getting married, not because I expect a meal that is exactly equal to the cost of the cheese platter or whatever I got them as a gift. When did everything become so calculated and mercenary? 

This^^^ 

I, too, remember when weddings were about the couple, not the trappings. SMH.

• Love 16
8 hours ago, Temperance said:

They're not a couple yet, but if it happens, we'll keep this in mind. I could see Lauren C with someone else, but it would be nice if she didn't have to get married and could do something else. As for the twins, I can never remember which one is Sinner/Saint, Jed/Jer, or match to the name to the face. 

Jeremiah is the Sinner Twin. 

It’s never too early to start thinking up fun (for us) ways to refer to them!

(edited)

I have to sound bitchy or negative, but her hair looked positively terrible and I was only 1 seconds into the video.  Assuming she got her hair done at the venue, we can’t blame it on outside humidity.  I’m betting a combo of cheap products, split ends and mediocre talent. It’s a shame because she was a cute bride otherwise.

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 4
(edited)
37 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

So week courtship? Is this a record?

I thought I heard 6 week courtship but I could be wrong. 

Am I the only one who thought Austin should have gotten the hotdog socks since he’s the biggest weiner?

ETA: the first look made me sentimental. I’ll probably never get married, but even if I do, my dad’s dead so I’ll never get to have that moment.  I also like her dad more than Kendra’s; he doesn’t seem quite as fame whorish.  And she doesn’t titter as much.  And will someone take those noisy ass babies out of the sanctuary?  Jeez Louise you can barely hear the vows!

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 6

That wedding was awkward as hell. Well, more awkward than a usual Duggar wedding and it also looked really half-assed with the lack of decor. It was soul-crushing hearing the Duggars discuss how lively Josiah used to be and now he's a boring blob like the rest of them.

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

She must be seething, especially now that TLC has released the wedding. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a People blurb in this week’s magazine.  That would drop tomorrow I think.

13 minutes ago, saylubee said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a People blurb in this week’s magazine.  That would drop tomorrow I think.

About Josiah's wedding? There was a page in this week's People with Whitney Houston on the cover. I posted about it in the MEDIA thread. 

54 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

The lady in the blue behind JB has the best stank face after the kiss! It’s the highlight of the entire clip.  I could have done without all the moaning though ?

Diana Vuolo?

OK, my thoughts:

1. I didn't mind Dwain too much. Although he is steeped in the Kool-Aid he seems to have a pretty genuine relationship with Lauren, and it wasn't bordering on creepy like Kendra and Pastor Caldwell.

2. I feel like Josiah is trying too hard to be masculine. Dwain comments that both are beautiful and Josiah has to correct him to state that he is handsome.

3. Also, before Josiah revealed that he had the rings, I totally thought he had a bulge in his pants for other reasons.

4. Not surprised about Kendra and Joy (especially considering that Joe and Austin were both on Josiah's side), but I am surprised that Jana was a bridesmaid, considering she is so much older than Lauren. Or maybe it's just unusual to me to select one of the four older daughters - like it should be either all or none.

• Love 2

This totally confirmed a few things for me:

1. Josiah is either gay, a revel (ALERT stints), or just not into lauren...this seems like all parties know it's a fix-up job, like Josh. The over the top kiss, Josiah asking to kiss her, the kiss in the aisle, him picking her up and running...they're trying to sell him as a masculine koolaid drinker. 

2. When he wiped his face and she GRABBED his arm...geez! Give the dude a little room, lauren! You don't have to be holding both of his hands at all times. 

3. The look of relief / tears on JB's face during the kiss makes me think even more he had some kind of deadline for Josiah. 

4. JD is super hot for Abbie!!! The way he looked at her was NOT wholesome! ?

5. Lauren needs to quit saying "finally!" She is not 40. It makes her look pathetic at 18! She sees herself as some kind of old maid, and doesn't mind rushing into this. 

• Love 15

My sister and I howled when she said “helpmeet”.  She probably should have thrown “snitch” in there somewhere, too. 

I don’t usually follow the Josiah is gay speculation but it was so strange for him to correct Mr. Swanson’s declaration of him being beautiful.  Just take a compliment, dude.  Also noticed that they said how quiet Josiah has gotten over the years...sad.  He’s like a completely different person.  Good job selling that kiss though. 

Lauren made Josiah keep the rings on his person rather than risk the obligatory lost ring prank.  Girl has no time to waste.

JD and Abbie are adorable.  I can’t wait to see more of them and less of the rest of these fools. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

The lady in the blue behind JB has the best stank face after the kiss! It’s the highlight of the entire clip.  I could have done without all the moaning though ?

I think the lady behind JB was Jeremy's mother.

2 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

I know. Not a really good sign. 

I'm actually going to give him a pass on that...if they decided to make the first kiss a pretty steamy production (by their standards), there may  have just been enough unfamiliar residue on his mouth that wiping it was sort of instinctive. Doesn't necessarily mean he was repulsed. I'm willing to suspend judgement temporarily. They did sell the actual kiss pretty well.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm actually going to give him a pass on that...if they decided to make the first kiss a pretty steamy production (by their standards), there may  have just been enough unfamiliar residue on his mouth that wiping it was sort of instinctive. Doesn't necessarily mean he was repulsed. I'm willing to suspend judgement temporarily. They did sell the actual kiss pretty well.

Good point. 

• Love 4

Did the church not have A/C? Everyone is sweating bullets and fanning themselves with the programs. Maybe that’s why everyone ‘s hair looks stringy. Lauren’s mother looked lovely. Michelle was an embarrassment.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

there may  have just been enough unfamiliar residue on his mouth

AKA extra spit ? Honestly, it is kinda gross and uncomfortable to walk around with slobber on your face ?

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I discreetly did this after my first kiss when I was 15. I thought it was pretty gross lol 

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Really, wiping his lips after the kiss?  Oy.  

44 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Like a 5 year old wiping away cooties. 

I assume he was wiping away the lip gloss. I had a boyfriend that hated the feel of my lip gloss on his lips. Considering he’s probably aware of the gay rumors, he can’t be seen coming down the aisle in lipstick!

• Love 8
(edited)

I will give Josiah a pass on the mouth wipe as well. Lauren probably had some kind of lipstick or gloss on, and it may have felt goopy. 

John David and Abbie are cute together, even  though she does look like Eleanor Roosevelt. 

(Looks like Ijustwantsomechips and I were having similar thoughts at the same time!)

Edited by zenme
  • Love 5

Lauren’s whispery voice is going to drive me crazy. 

I loved Joe and Josiah’s full hug and “I love you” to each other. Best moment on the show in a long time.

Whatever you say about Josiah, he nailed that kiss. Going in with the hand was a good, sexy move. Although he sometimes looks too much like Josh for comfort, he does have a nice slim build. 

Michelle looks like an episode of Hee Haw.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

Really, wiping his lips after the kiss?  Oy.  

Like a kid wiping away his adoring grandmama's kiss.  Completely cringeworthy.  He's Just Not Into You moment.

Poor Lauren, thinking he'd be hot for her.  Didn't look like it at all.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, ehall1052 said:

Did the church not have A/C? Everyone is sweating bullets and fanning themselves with the programs. Maybe that’s why everyone ‘s hair looks stringy. Lauren’s mother looked lovely. Michelle was an embarrassment.

"follow the yellow brick road."

Honestly, I can't see Michelle in that dress without thinking of a munchkin.  I don't remember who posted that, but it's what I see now.

• Love 4
(edited)
34 minutes ago, zenme said:

I will give Josiah on the mouth wipe as well. Lauren probably had some kind of lipstick or gloss on, and it may have felt goopy. 

Reminds me of a pair of actors who were a big time couple on a soap opera years ago. She was infamous for loving makeup (even by daytime drama standards) and would wear multiple coats of lipstick and lip gloss; he couldn’t tolerate the feel of it and wiped it off instinctively. So there would sometimes be a scene where the hero and heroine kissed at long last after many trials and tribulations... and then he’d appear to wipe it off. The show started sneaking explanations into the dialog, like him saying she’d been outside and her lips were cold, so he was touching his own lips post-kiss in response.

But even if there’s an innocent explanation for Josiah’s mouthwipe, these two really look sad. Here’s hoping they unexpectedly grow together to form a deep friendship and family. Stranger things have happened.

Edited by Panopticon
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

That was some kiss. 

Hubba hubba. I had to look away

Joy called her steady ....huhhh

I like her cat whisper voice 

I can see some personality... maybe Josiah is bringing it out of her 

Loved her dress for their standards bc it was actually tastefully fitting 

I like that her parents showed personality 

Her dad was heartfelt officiating the wedding 

Jim Bob was crying tears of dollar signs...Kris Jenner of the fundie world 

I still see Josiah’s personality 

Her hair was a hairspray haven nightmare 

Maybe they will stop trying to run down the aisle since Lauren almost got whiplash 

The children in the background annoyed me 

• Love 8