Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, SMama said:

Wow, he’s an excellent husband after a few months. ??‍♀️ 

Please tell me their definition of an excellent husband is NOT that he's gotten Lauren pregnant already.  Perhaps a loving, caring husband, or a good provider that has a steady job and paycheck to support his family, or that they moved into a house he bought?  Oh wait, these are the Duggars. Crap, she's pregnant, isn't she?

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Please tell me their definition of an excellent husband is NOT that he's gotten Lauren pregnant already.  Perhaps a loving, caring husband, or a good provider that has a steady job and paycheck to support his family, or that they moved into a house he bought?  Oh wait, these are the Duggars. Crap, she's pregnant, isn't she?

A good provider does not live off his family's name and has a real actual job or does not live off his wife's family name *cough Jeremy cough* I keep forgetting who I am talking about.

I admit I come on here to see if Lauren is pregnant yet.

Edited by bigskygirl

Excuse me while I try not to beat my head against the wall, run outside laughing my head off, roll my eyes under they fall out, or not get sick to my stomach.  And what greater and better things has he pushed you to do Lauren?

Edited by bigskygirl

Um, that picture above...kissing the bride with one hand in his pocket?  Why?  Shouldn't he have that hand and arm around her waist, at least, or maybe her shoulder?  I don't get it.  What's he reaching for? 

• Love 19
3 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Lauren's writing sounds like someone who has fantasized about being married to whoever, and I bet she has said this over and over in her head even though it doesn't exactly all apply to her. It sounds very rehearsed, like she prepared it years ago. But why? She's only eighteen, and isn't ugly or anything. She always says that she's "finally" married...girl, you crazy!

Yes, I was trying to post the picture of her from the other page looking like she "won" the prize by being married. There is just something strange about her. I can't put my finger on it.

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, mousegirl said:

Um, that picture above...kissing the bride with one hand in his pocket?  Why?  Shouldn't he have that hand and arm around her waist, at least, or maybe her shoulder?  I don't get it.  What's he reaching for? 

Exactly right. That is the thing that looks oddest about this picture. He looks like he is physically holding himself back.

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, mousegirl said:

1 minute ago, jcbrown said:

Exactly right. That is the thing that looks oddest about this picture. He looks like he is physically holding himself back.

Avoidance technique?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, mousegirl said:

His car keys?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, starlightlost said:

Does that look photoshopped to anyone else? Or is her chin really that long?

1. No. Anyway, not to me.

2. Probably. And, camera angle of the shot 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 1

It just seems so odd! I went to a small Christian college, and I don't remember meeting one person, EVER, who was eighteen and so desperate to be married! In fact, I knew a girl down the hall freshman year who was engaged, and everyone talked behind her back about how strange it was. And I mean, sure, there was a LOT of swooning over movies like The Notebook in the dorm, and sighing over how we might meet our future husbands in college, but even the most ardently boy crazy people wanted to finish their education first and get married after college. When I was maybe a junior, I had a religion class with a guy who was married, and it made me feel old, like, "whoa! I'm in this class with a married man!" The professor found it such a novelty that he often questioned the young man about what it was like to be married at this age, and this was a small-ish town in the South! I later attended a large state university, and ironically I knew more freshmen there who entered college in serious relationships, but they seemed to realize they had found love at a remarkably young age, and didn't marry until after college. Lauren's behavior is really, really not normal. Does she know a lot of married eighteen-year-olds? Is she watching a whole lot of classic movies or reading classic books (lol) where the heroines get married young? I can even understand saying, "I'm not about the party life, I don't want further education, and I think a young marriage is right for me," but the way lauren acts like she is forty and has been planning her wedding/marriage for decades baffles me. 

• Love 24
14 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Okay, well, I have a friend who told me years ago that she and her husband were doing this and wondering why she wasn't pregnant and she didn't know why she didn't like sex.  Her gyno set them straight after they couldn't conceive.  That's all she told me, no more details.  

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Okay, well, I have a friend who told me years ago that she and her husband were doing this and wondering why she wasn't pregnant and she didn't know why she didn't like sex.  Her gyno set them straight after they couldn't conceive.  That's all she told me, no more details.  

OMG.... I don't know why she would ever admit that to anyone not her doctor.

I would've loved to have known what the gyno was thinking as they were processing this information.

• Love 24
1 minute ago, DkNNy79 said:

OMG.... I don't know why she would ever admit that to anyone not her doctor.

I would've loved to have known what the gyno was thinking as they were processing this information.

I could barely keep my drink in my mouth when she told me, but I swear, it is a true story.  If you knew her, you'd understand.  And she and her husband have two grown sons - she told me this story when they were small.  And why she thought to tell me is anyone's guess.

• Love 7

i seriously doubt this would happen within the Duggar family.  They may not have learned much in their home school, but I'm sure that no effort or expense was spared in educating all of them about how to correctly make a baby.  It wouldn't surprise me if even Josie knew at this point how to track a woman's cycle for ovulation, how to get the sperm and egg together, and how to use and read a pregnancy test.  

Who cares if you can read, write, or earn a living.  As long as you can reproduce repeatedly, you are good to go!

• Love 6

@Christina87 Most of the young Christian/fundie women I knew wanted to be married, but had been told by their parents they were too young. People who send their kids to college tend to want their kids to finish college before settling down.(This is why probably most of your friends were waiting to be a little older getting married.)  I have known a few young women who got married at 19-21. These young women were either not going to college or college was not a priority for them and their families.  A few other women got married right after graduation and that probably doubles for my Christian friends. 

(There are also statistics that say people who get married very young are more likely to get divorced.  A lot of Christian families know this and encourage their kids to marry a little older, because they "need to respect marriage" and it will decrease the chances of divorce.)

7 minutes ago, jennblevins said:

According to the Duggars Family Blog, Lauren has an associates degree in nursing ... did they bother to mention that before on the show?

No, I've never seen that before.  It also says her younger sister has or is getting a degree. I'm surprised. 

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, jennblevins said:

According to the Duggars Family Blog, Lauren has an associates degree in nursing ... did they bother to mention that before on the show?

From College Minus?

• Love 2

If that is true, Jilly Muffin’s head will explode. (popping popcorn). Two SIL’s are much, much more nurse-like and medical-like (education-wise) than Jilly. Either Jilly will try to “mentor” them because, of course, she has more “medical experience,” or Jilly will slink away into a corner. My vote is for the “mentoring.”  

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, jennblevins said:

There are some colleges that offer an Associates in Nursing which could qualify a student to take the exam and become licensed as a registered nurse (RN).  They take approximately 2 years to complete if one is a full time student.  Lauren, at 18, could've done this if she graduated from high school early or if she went to a high school that was affiliated with a community college with such a program.  My nephew went to such a high school and he and about half dozen of his high school classmates got their Associates degree the same week as their high school diploma. He didn't take nursing, though.

In this day and age, many hospitals will not even consider hiring a new RN who doesn't have at least a BS in nursing.  That's why the Associates programs as well as straight nursing programs without college degrees are getting to be scarce.  There is no point in doing those programs unless the student is going to be working towards a BSN ASAP.  Even for nurses already employed in hospitals cannot be promoted to supervisory positions without a BSN.  So, while Lauren could theoretically have an AA in Nursing, she may not be employable as a nurse except in a nursing home or other out of hospital job.

• Love 9

I’m not going to knock Lauren or Abbie for pursuing higher education since I graduated a bazillion times, but I’d be more impressed if someone had an AA in a STEM field or construction management or the like. And not because I don’t value nurses, as they are often overworked, underpaid, and under appreciated, but because I think they pursue this because it’s an acceptable position for a woman.  Other than a teacher (ha ha I made a funny), what else are they allowed to do?

• Love 7

Lilly was only 13, WOW. Either she’s a prodigy to successfully tackle dual enrollment at that age (and from a homeschool background) or they take anyone (kinda but not really kidding). Good for them.

Watching the kidults THs was cringe worthy. History and Math as favorite subjects? That is why James at thirteen was doing third grade math flash cards? Don’t even go there with history.

Joy made me laugh when she said they went straight into their “careers.” It was surprising for Josiah to admit he could have used the structure. Yeah, no shit Sherlock. I was disheartened when Josiah said he would consider college if he ever wants expertise in something (paraphrasing). No intellectual curiosity whatsoever. And how busy can he be not selling cars or real estate. 

Edited by SMama
  • Love 11

Something about the way they spoke in this video reminded me of little old women going back to visit their alma mater. The fact that they started at 13 and 16, presumably so they could attend together, was more common back in the day when a lot of women didn't go to college, so sisters would often enroll together. Also, the way they talked about their classes in such a vague way, like they were having to think waaaaaaay back and couldn't remember specifics, reminded me of little old ladies. 

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, SMama said:

I was disheartened when Josiah said he would consider college if he ever wants expertise in something (paraphrasing). No intellectual curiosity whatsoever. And how busy can he be not selling cars or real estate. 

The only real estate Josiah is allowed to sell is property that he personally owns.  He has to have a real estate sales license to sell real estate owned by a family member or anyone else, and he doesn't have a license.  In order to get a license in Arkansas, he must take courses (60 classroom hours from an accredited or licensed school) and pass an exam.  Instead, Josiah just opted for a marriage license.

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I'm actually impressed that Lilly wants to get her Master's in Speech and Language Pathology!

Did anyone catch the name of the college that Lauren and Lilly attended?

According to In Touch, she attended Georgia Military College. I looked and they offer a Pre-Nursing program.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Christina87 said:

It just seems so odd! I went to a small Christian college, and I don't remember meeting one person, EVER, who was eighteen and so desperate to be married! In fact, I knew a girl down the hall freshman year who was engaged, and everyone talked behind her back about how strange it was. And I mean, sure, there was a LOT of swooning over movies like The Notebook in the dorm, and sighing over how we might meet our future husbands in college, but even the most ardently boy crazy people wanted to finish their education first and get married after college. When I was maybe a junior, I had a religion class with a guy who was married, and it made me feel old, like, "whoa! I'm in this class with a married man!" The professor found it such a novelty that he often questioned the young man about what it was like to be married at this age, and this was a small-ish town in the South! I later attended a large state university, and ironically I knew more freshmen there who entered college in serious relationships, but they seemed to realize they had found love at a remarkably young age, and didn't marry until after college. Lauren's behavior is really, really not normal. Does she know a lot of married eighteen-year-olds? Is she watching a whole lot of classic movies or reading classic books (lol) where the heroines get married young? I can even understand saying, "I'm not about the party life, I don't want further education, and I think a young marriage is right for me," but the way lauren acts like she is forty and has been planning her wedding/marriage for decades baffles me. 

No Lauren isn’t normal even among the fundie set. If she were closer to Jana’s age, I could see her saying this, but even WITHIN her cultural milieu 18 is young to marry. Most of the girls are at least around 20. 

I think perhaps she has NOTHING else to say so that’s what comes out?

• Love 7
5 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

My sociology professor talked about this several years ago! He said even back then that it was an increasing problem in China, so before I even read the article, I was thinking, "Hey, Mr. Hall said this was a problem in China. Wonder where this is?" 

Lauren's AA is probably in pre-nursing, I'm guessing.  Time was when an actual associate's degree in nursing, with clinical experience, would lead to hospital employment.  Like Doodlebug says, it seems that a BSN is pretty much required in many places now, to be considered a Registered Nurse.

It's probably a moot point now, anyway.  She's opted to be a Z-list reality TV "stah" and her MRS degree.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Gee whiz, Josiah just figured out he had NO STRUCTURE in his "education"? That, gee whiz, I guess all the Duggar kids really DID slack off. . .  So sad.

Lauren's AA degree may have prepped her to be a CNA? Or mayyyybe an LPN. But it might have been sort of horrifying for an innocent young fundie to see nekkid body parts. . .

Edited by LilJen
  • Love 2

Our local Community College offers an AA in nursing that is highly regarded.  The hire rate is quite high.  The AA RN has to pass the same state boards as a nurse with a BSN.  Our maternity and NICU departments had RNs who did not have their BSN; they just could not be in  a supervising position. There are many RN to BSN programs available for the working RN. The RN program is longer and much more complete than an LVN program.  It is quite an accomplishment to complete the program  and it is a very respectable and and worthwhile degree to have.

• Love 13

So I’m to believe that 13 and 16  fundie girls were  allowed in a program that included clinicals and exposed them to men who needed sponge baths? 

I am guessing this Pre-nursing program was only classroom and no actual people’s anatomy was viewed. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 7

I'd be more likely to believe that Fundie girls are allowed to go into nursing, than fundie boys into any type of medical training, because the girls are expected to change diapers and bathe younger siblings, so presumably they've seen those parts already, whereas the boys in most cases would be expected not to have seen the vaginal area until marriage.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

So I’m to believe that 13 and 16  fundie girls were  allowed in a program that included clinicals and exposed them to men who needed sponge baths? 

I am guessing this Pre-nursing program was only classroom and no actual people’s anatomy was viewed. 

That's precisely what I was thinking. ETA: Yep, it's a "pre-nursing" program. Classroom only, designed to get your prerequisites out of the way so you can apply to nursing school.

Edited by LilJen
  • Love 1