Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Leap to Faith

Perfect use for Derek! Even better that Eleanor remembered the cocaine, but Mindy has now been paid back and then some. I wonder if Derek has the power to get Mindy more cocaine... or to, you know, continue growing and maybe prompt growth for Mindy as well before they next cross paths with Eleanor et al.

• Love 8

I binge watched the episode I missed over the holiday break.

Hilarious way to get rid of Derek, that's for sure. And Mindy got her cocaine! 

I knew Michael was still working with the humans; they didn't exactly make it subtle, but there were some pretty funny moments, such as Michael sobbing about how worried he was about the group when they were on the tracks. Plus, a good way to get rid of Vicky. 

• Love 10

Michael did not look as relieved as everyone else and they can't possibly be in the clear. I wonder what Michael making the neighborhood disappear would entail. I also wonder if Shawn told him more when we didn't see all of their conversation in the office.

"What the here?!?!" was a good line from Vicky.

• Love 12

I can't believe (except I totally can!) how many of us are so happy for Mindy and her cocaine!  And to top it off with her own sex slave too.  Which Derek seemed happy about!  

I love this show, and it was an amazing return.  So happy that this show is back!

(More coherence tomorrow!)

• Love 20

Yep, all is right in the world because Mindy's got her cocaine!  With an added bonus of Derek as a sex robot even if his genitals or wind chimes because she "can work with that."

I knew that Michael was putting on a show for Shawn and the rest, but that roast did cut pretty deep there.  Especially his bit about Tahani's sister.  You know that she was smarting from that.  And naturally, Jason would get offended over him trashing his beloved Jacksonville Jaguars.  All they need is some defense!  And offense.  And some rule changes...

Drunk Janet was awesome, but granted any Janet is awesome at this point.

Got to give credit to Michael for finding a way to also set-up Vicky for his failures.  I do hope she eventually comes back since Tiya Sircar is hilarious.  Marc Evan Jackson was also in extra fine form this go around as Shawn.

Eleanor really is growing as a character by being the one to actually take a "leap of faith" and trust Michael.  It is also nice to see that she does seem to be listening somewhat to Chidi's ethics courses, even if she can't exactly remember the names.  Aww!

So, now I've learn that there is apparently a food item called "ten-stone griddle-chip."  Thanks, Tahani!  Also that she use to be buds with Ben Affleck (until he sold out and became Batman), and that Russell Crowe did not react well to someone screwing up his tea.  Yeah, I can believe that last one for sure.

"Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" and Puddle of Mudd's "She Hates Me" are popular tracks with Bad Janet and the demons.  Yep, that checks out!

Definitely got the sense that Michael was 100% happy after their con, so I have to think he is hiding something.

Welcome back, The Good Place!  A good way to kick off 2018!

• Love 16

You have to love a show where someone giving someone else two bags filled with cocaine is such a happy moment. God I missed this show so much. 

Michael really was on their side, which I was pretty sure about, and his clues were pretty well done. Now the gang (including that demon with a heart of gold Michael) is heading to places unknown. And the original "good place" was destroyed, Sean is none the wiser, and Vicki has been cocooned. I give this show tons of credit for being so willing to totally change their plot and try something different. 

Wow, Puddle of Mud was a thing at some point. How random and delightful. Also, "He was mean, and I know mean! I was at a restaurant once where Russel Crowe didn't get his tea made right". 

• Love 15

Wow!

Awesome!

Um....

What happens next week?

Gotta love how completely they upset the apple cart episode after episode. They've written off every supporting cast member, destroyed the town, wrote off the Medium Place, and basically salted the earth.  Now what happens?

• Love 8

Welcome back show! Loved the roast even though some of what Michael was saying really hit the members of Team Cockroach where they (used to) live. And, the party afterwards. Say what you want about demons, they know how to get down and bust a move. Or drive a giraffe stampede. Or run over a reindeer, whatever's handy. I want to hire Bad Janet to be the DJ at my office's next party.

So magnets make Janet drunk and removing them gives her a hangover. You learn something new every day.

• Love 4

How weird that there's a slim chance the Jacksonville Jaguars could be in a Super Bowl just days after the Good Place season finale. Wonder if they'll find a way to incorporate that into Jason's story (something about the Bad Place freezing over, maybe?).

Great to see Bad Janet again. Wherever they end up doing from here, I hope it can include regular appearances of her. I will miss Vicky and the rest of the demons if they're really gone for good.

I did kind of wonder what was reported to Shawn. I guess time works differently in the Bad Place, so he doesn't think that this "Version 2" of the neighbourhood has been going on for the hundreds of years that 800 versions took, so he only knows about the current version. They haven't been clear on how long this one has been going on, but it doesn't seem to be more than a few months.

• Love 6

Glad to have the show back, & once again they moved the plot ahead quickly. Everything they've been doing is done, & the place is gone, where are they going to go now?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, BobH said:

How weird that there's a slim chance the Jacksonville Jaguars could be in a Super Bowl just days after the Good Place season finale. Wonder if they'll find a way to incorporate that into Jason's story (something about the Bad Place freezing over, maybe?).

I almost want to see the Jaguars win it just so we could get Jason's reaction. 

• Love 8

I'd assume Shawn thinks version 2 has been running for those hundreds of years. I think Michael said earlier that he's been filing false reports all this time. Actually, maybe it's been a round thousand years? That was how long he said he could keep it going, according to the flashback at the end of season 1. So it would make sense that Shawn would drop in after a thousand years (of attempt #2) have passed.

But yeah, attempt #803 is probably only a few months old. The only thing I think we can track it by is Michael's own growth, and the relationship between Jason and Tahani, which didn't even start right at the start of #803.

I wonder what

4 hours ago, Panopticon said:

I wonder if Derek has the power to get Mindy more cocaine... 

Derek's powers are an extension and/or duplicate of Janet's, who herself is depowered in the Medium Place in many aspects besides being able to call a train. Since she couldn't summon anything and everything while there, presumably Derek can't either.  Though he could arguably summon a train to a Good or Bad Place neighborhood, summon cocaine, and then take the train back to Mindy's. But that'd be a little risky even if his brain wasn't wrong.

I'm gonna miss Vicky too, but wow, this really does fulfill what the writers were saying when they said the Good/Bad Place neighbors were going to fall away and return the focus back to the humans. What a huge 

3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, now I've learn that there is apparently a food item called "ten-stone griddle-chip."  Thanks, Tahani! 

I'm not British, but I think that was the show exaggerating as far as "griddle chip" goes. Pancakes in the UK seem to just be called "pancakes"... maybe "griddlecake". And "ten stone" is a term of weight, where a stone is 20 lbs, so: a 200 lb pancake.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, loki567 said:

I almost want to see the Jaguars win it just so we could get Jason's reaction. 

Though it would mean that Michael has continued to lie to him because its now hundreds of years in the future.

• Love 5

Get your own bracelets, Victoria!

I did find something for Vicki.

What?

(Fart)

Bad Janet, great stuff as always.

So glad to have the Janets, both Good and Bad, back. And yes, Mindy's happy ending was exactly the bit of joy I needed at the end of the day.

• Love 11

I love this damn show.  Like everyone else, I was delighted with Mindy's gift.  I actually squeed when Elinor said she hoped Mindy liked it followed by "Yay! Mindy's cocaine!" And then again when Derek showed up with the duffle bags.

I enjoyed Vicki getting set up so much.  Gayle really is an issufferable kiss ass.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Fukui San said:

They've written off every supporting cast member, destroyed the town, wrote off the Medium Place, and basically salted the earth.  Now what happens?

The show doesn't really need any of those things to work though. Just the main six actors in whatever situation the show puts them in.

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Though it would mean that Michael has continued to lie to him because its now hundreds of years in the future.

I wonder if it really is though. Just because they've experienced that much time doesn't mean the rest of the Universe has.

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Shawn was worried that the "debacle" of the humans escaping would be discovered. It seemed like he's not the one in charge. So now I'm wondering who HE reports to.

Some dude named Lucifer probably. 

• Love 10

I know Bad Janet is, well, BAD, but she always cracks me up. Now I know for sure that people who like Puddle of Mudd are demons from hell.

Perfect use of Derek! I'm so happy that Mindy finally got her cocaine. Heh, I can't wait to see if she does manage to make Derek's windchimes work for her.

• Love 5

BTW, in one recap/review someone asked why didn't Bad Janet find the humans in her scan. IMO It wasn't anything magical about being under the train. It's just that the train tracks and train station are at the very edge of this Bad Place neighborhood, so Bad Janet, making a reasonable assumption that she was already almost at the edge of the territory, only scanned inwards from her position and not outwards at the small scrap of land to her back. I guess Michael was banking on Bad Janet's laziness.

• Love 11
49 minutes ago, arc said:

BTW, in one recap/review someone asked why didn't Bad Janet find the humans in her scan. IMO It wasn't anything magical about being under the train. It's just that the train tracks and train station are at the very edge of this Bad Place neighborhood, so Bad Janet, making a reasonable assumption that she was already almost at the edge of the territory, only scanned inwards from her position and not outwards at the small scrap of land to her back. I guess Michael was banking on Bad Janet's laziness.

It's that she didn't look down. Bad Janet did a 360 to scan the whole neighborhood, but would miss anything directly below (or I guess above) her.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Fukui San said:

What happens next week?

By now we've learned to stop worrying about that with this show, right? They've up-ended their premise so many times already, and happily shown what they can do with the new status quo each time....

7 hours ago, BobH said:

How weird that there's a slim chance the Jacksonville Jaguars could be in a Super Bowl just days after the Good Place season finale. Wonder if they'll find a way to incorporate that into Jason's story...

As others have said, there's a question how their time relates to ours: by human days, they're a substantial way into our future.

6 hours ago, arc said:

And "ten stone" is a term of weight, where a stone is 20 lbs, so: a 200 lb pancake.

A "stone" is 14 pounds.

38 minutes ago, Amarsir said:

It's that she didn't look down. Bad Janet did a 360 to scan the whole neighborhood, but would miss anything directly below (or I guess above) her.

They didn't explicitly explain this, obviously, but I agree with this. Their neighborhood extends a long way in all directions, but Bad Janet didn't scan downward. It seems like a big risk just to assume in advance that she wouldn't, but that would have been a lot of exposition/explanation to bury in the midst of an action sequence like this. (I wonder if there'll eventually be an extended cut of this episode, as there has been for others, that does go into this.)

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Kromm said:

The show doesn't really need any of those things to work though. Just the main six actors in whatever situation the show puts them in.

I wonder if it really is though. Just because they've experienced that much time doesn't mean the rest of the Universe has.

Some dude named Lucifer probably. 

This hell is run by a committee. I’m sure of it. If we meet Lucifer he will be in terror of the board. 

• Love 12

I loved the "we found all 6 clues you left for us"; "I left you 1,200 clues".  (Paraphrasing)

And the ending with  Derek and Mindy was just forking fantastic!

Speaking of forking...  I was a bit surprised that once Michael and Shawn did the big reveal and roast that Eleanor still couldn't swear.  I thought that would have been funny - have her say Fu*k, expect it to come out as Fork, but really come out as Fu*k (and be bleeped, of course), but then run around happy that she could swear again and all we hear is a series of bleeps.

• Love 11

One thing I keep coming back to is how many times the phrase "it's everything I ever wanted" was said during the episode. I have a feeling this is going to tie in to future scenarios. When Team Cockroach talked about finally getting to the Good Place, Michael's face did not look particularly happy. 

I've never been happy for someone to get their coke like I was for Mindy St. Clair...priceless :)

• Love 11
44 minutes ago, SopranoKris said:

One thing I keep coming back to is how many times the phrase "it's everything I ever wanted" was said during the episode. I have a feeling this is going to tie in to future scenarios. When Team Cockroach talked about finally getting to the Good Place, Michael's face did not look particularly happy. 

I've never been happy for someone to get their coke like I was for Mindy St. Clair...priceless :)

That stood out to me as an important line as well. So because I'm a weirdo, I'm googling philosophical issues that come with getting what you want. This link had a story that I think is fitting to this group. The spider in the urinal: "This thought experiment forces us to consider the quality and meaningfulness of not just animal lives, but our own as well. How can we ever know what anyone really wants? And do our lives actually do us any good? It also forces us to question our policies of intervention. Despite our best intentions, interference can sometimes inflict unanticipated harm." This group was essentially a spider in a urinal. Michael gave them a piece of paper towel to help them escape but are they better off or did he doom them further? 

Also, Michael earlier said "It's everything I've ever wanted" realizing that he no longer wants that and what is your life even if you have no idea what you want or can change your wants on such a quick turn. Hearing Chidi say that made him realize that this will also likely not be everything he ever wanted. Also, I suspect that while the humans are going to be able to redeem themselves to get into the good place, Michael is not. I doubt that demons are ever allowed there, especially demons that steal Good Place Janets.

Also, I went to Puddle of Mud's twitter account to see if they were pleased that they are one of two official Bad Place party bands and they seem to be unaware. 

Edited by EdnasEdibles
  • Love 7

Not that I didn't enjoy this episode, but it seemed very lucky/convenient that none of the humans were tortured, molested or harmed in any way during the melee that ensued after the roast. We had demon bats and all manner of debauchery surrounding them yet none of the demons were even looking at them. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SopranoKris said:

"No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful."
Yes, I'm wondering if they will get to the good place and hate it. I could totally see them being bored.
For some reason I felt a little bad for Vicky getting stuck in a pod or whatever that was. I hope she comes back, she's fun.
Also can say this is the first time I said "awww she got her cocaine!". 
I love this show so much. I am so thankful for DVR's because I always need to go back and rewatch as I'm laughing and miss dialogue.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Say what you want about demons, they know how to get down and bust a move. Or drive a giraffe stampede. Or run over a reindeer, whatever's handy. I want to hire Bad Janet to be the DJ at my office's next party.

I do wish we'd seen Chris Baker whip off his shirt and angrily announce he was going to the gym one last time.

4 hours ago, Affogato said:

This hell is run by a committee. I’m sure of it. If we meet Lucifer he will be in terror of the board. 

Having to deal with a board of directors to get anything done is probably his punishment. Presumably the Bad Place was created in the first place to torment him.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

This show is awesome! :) 

The roast seal in Latin was Irrisiones Infidelium Convivia = Mockery of non-believers Banquet 
Eius formido = It's terrible 

Sounds right for a roast. 

I’m just glad Michel didn’t come out in blackface (old Ted Danson reference). 

Loved the episode, and I liked seeing the cockroaches work together—although Eleanor was clearly the star. But even Jason contributed with his “Derek Bortles” complaint. 

And I wonder if Tahani ever lies when she says, “good friend of mine”? Or is she simply that much of a name-dropper?

• Love 6

I wonder if I am alone in this, but I am finding this a bit exhasting. When this show first started I adored it and loved the 1st 13 episodes.But this season i am having a hard time keeping up. I enjoy each episode, even when I am lost. There is always dialogue with wit and great visuals. I am having troublessed with the schedule. It's on for 6 episodes then disappears for a couple months and then come back. Stories change so quickly it is easy to fall behind, and I don't have the time to Rewatch episodes I have already seen OnDemand  or Hulu. When I saw it was only chapter 22 I knew I was in trouble. I wish they would just do a regular 13 episode season. Maybe during summer break I can try to binge watch And come back.

34 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

Also can say this is the first time I said "awww she got her cocaine!". 

And a sex robot too! Normally, I would think it's reprehensible to enable someone's drug habit, but she's already dead and she's been good to the human team. So, kudos to them for helping her out.  Hopefully, she doesn't get sent to the Bad Place for it. 

14 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I seriously loved every second of that. This show...I never know what is going to happen next and I LOVE that!

It's my favorite show on TV right now. I love it too. 

32 minutes ago, topanga said:

And I wonder if Tahani ever lies when she says, “good friend of mine”? Or is she simply that much of a name-dropper?

I'm certain she was acquainted with many celebrities, but as far as being good friends, that's hard to know. Many of them might have just pretended to be nice to have a better opportunity to meet her sister. Tahani is more or less the equivalent of Kourtney or Khloe Kardashian.  

• Love 7
53 minutes ago, sacrebleu said:

to avoid repeating the awesomeness that others have shared-- I'm totally using "and I can hear every sound in the universe" next time I'm hungover-- so thanks, Janet, just for being you!

I'm going to start insulting people for not being interdimensional beings. It explains so much!

• Love 3

This episode was a great 'come back' one...and the show gets flipped on it's ear once more!  Cannot wait to see what happens next.  So much fun!  I am not a huge ted Danson fan, but I am loving him as Michael.  The main cast is excellent as is the writing.  We got to see all versions of Janet in this one...drunk Janet being a new aspect which was hilarious.  Love. This. Show.  And I KNOW Mindy can make it work with Derek's windchimes.  lol

• Love 5

So happy I saw this on my DVR this morning, I didn’t realize it was back on this week!!

i enjoyed this episode. I do wish I had re-watched the first half of the season so I could remember everything that happened. Hate these long breaks. I am sure that they have to work around Kristen Bell’s schedule. She seems to be the only one doing movies right now.

Like everyone else, I sighed and smiled when Mindy got her bag full of cocaine. And a bonus sex robot! With wind chimes.

I wonder how long they will be able to stay in the neighborhood, Sean seemed to want it gone soon.

Also, I wonder if Janet can build another neighborhood without Sean’s knowledge?  I seriously thought that they would all end up with Mindy in the medium place.

looking forward to finding out how they manage to survive.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, topanga said:

When Michael was questioning her with the truth cube out, it did blink green when she said her friend asked her to cohost his show, Anderson Cooper 360. In retrospect we know that everything up to the big reveal could be Michael staging it, but "lies are always more convincing when they’re closer to the truth" so I’ll assume the cube was real.

12 hours ago, arc said:

Actually, maybe it's been a round thousand years?

Longest attempt of the first 802 was 11 months (and some were very short) so unless the interim setup time is long it's not close to a thousand, even assuming there's a consistent time scale.

• Love 1