Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E03: Emergency Contact

Grace is shocked to find that the emergency contact called by her doctor's office is ex-husband Leo, not Will; Jack takes on a new job he never expected to love; and Karen befriends a 12-year-old girl in the Bronx.

I've always disliked Leo, but I liked him as an ex much more than a love interest. Watching them argue was pretty funny, and it's 100% believable that Grace would end up divorced because of his personality and her own issues combined.

Jack being born from C-section was clever/hilarious. I enjoyed seeing the sperm bank nurse again.

• Love 18

I felt like there was something off in the timing of this episode. Not that I love exposition, but it seemed like the set-up for every plot was clumsily rushed through so they could get to what ended up feeling like very manufactured situations. A lot of the jokes were good, but they didn't land as strongly as they could have, IMO. Partly because it also seemed like the audience was laughing in all the wrong places? I wonder if they had to re-cut this a few extra times before it finally aired.

As for Leo - I mean, who cares? I like Harry Connick Jr., but it felt like they knew he was available and decided to make room for him, rather than that they'd had a real compelling need to tell a Leo story. It worries me for Vince's return; I thought he was great, and I am afraid what they'll do with him this time around.

Favorite joke: Jack checking his neck before deciding not to eat the cookie. Sean Hayes played that really well.

I would've liked to see Will at the Princess Di exhibit. I don't feel like we got enough Will this episode.

• Love 3

Yeah, the editing was all kinds of wonky in this episode.  It was mot noticeable in the Karen's plot.

I'm not a fan of Leo, but it was worth it to have him back just for that elevator scene.   Grace's horribly over-the-top mocking of Leo's accent as Leo calmly corrects her ill-use of Louisiana terms was gold.  

• Love 12

I loved this one; I cracked up during multiple scenes, which didn't happen in the first two eps. I would have loved more Will, but his scenes with Grace and Jack and Karen were great. I feel like the show finally settled in and hit its stride here. 

• Love 4

I've been wondering if there were less commercials when the show was in its first run, because the timing does seem off, but more with the actual scene times. I'm wondering if they're adjusting to different show time lengths due to more commercials.

The fact that 11 years have passed and the characters are all exactly the same is just sad. I was really looking forward to the return of this show as it was one of my all time favorites, but watching these new eps has felt like watching reruns. The jokes are the same, the stories are the same the characters are the same. It's like going back to visit an old friend and finding out they are still living their high school days though they are way past it.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

While boozy bitchy Karen is what I like best her scenes with the young girl were great, especially the cute tap on the nose at the end.

I liked that, too. And I liked Jack teaching the kids.

12 hours ago, swimmyfish said:

It worries me for Vince's return; I thought he was great, and I am afraid what they'll do with him this time around.

Yeah, I hope things work out better with those two than they did with Grace and Leo. 

I'm neutral on Leo, myself, but I did like that he and Grace aired out a few lingering issues. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

The fact that 11 years have passed and the characters are all exactly the same is just sad. I was really looking forward to the return of this show as it was one of my all time favorites, but watching these new eps has felt like watching reruns. The jokes are the same, the stories are the same the characters are the same.

It was like that for me about halfway thru the 2nd season, once I realized I'd been watching new eps.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, PreviouslyTV said:

Grace's emergency biopsy (not something that happens) leads to an awkward reunion with Leo.

View the full article

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Grace's medical situation was just bizarre. What procedure did they put her under for, exactly? It seemed like she had no idea there was any issue with her breast until she came out of anesthesia.

• Love 6

I didn't laugh out loud as much as the previous episode, but I still enjoyed it.  Leo in the elevator scene is the most I've ever liked him.  The "Platinum Gay" joke was pretty hilarious, too. 

So glad to see that Eliot will be making an appearance; I had been wondering about that! 

• Love 3

I liked this one much better than the previous two and it felt more like old-school W&G. I loved the elevator scene with Grace mocking Leo's accent and then her calm demeanor telling him she doesn't need anyone, only to turn around and walk into Will's apartment and break down into a sobbing child. That really felt like classic W&G. Also him picking something off her face and her sucking it off his finger. Ewwww but LOL.

However, I always felt like attempts to humanize Karen ring false. She's just too much of a cartoon character to be taken seriously, ever. And did I miss something? Why was Jack at that theater (or whatever it was) to begin with?

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

And did I miss something? Why was Jack at that theater (or whatever it was) to begin with?

He thought he was there for an acting role or audition when it fact it was to teach drama to kids in an after school program (Boys and Girls Club, I believe.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Grace's medical situation was just bizarre. What procedure did they put her under for, exactly? It seemed like she had no idea there was any issue with her breast until she came out of anesthesia.

That was beyond bizarre.  When my daughter had a suspicious lump in her breast we went to the doctor for the initial exam, talked about what the next steps were, made an appointment for the biopsy, the doctor talked her through the process (basically a hole punch type situation where it grabs some of the tissue in the breast).  It was done in a matter of minutes and she most certainly wasn't put under.  I kind of dismissed this whole thing because it was just their way to bring in Leo, but it was REALLY outside the realm of any reality.  Even if Grace didn't know she had a lump and it was discovered during the breast exam, it still wouldn't have happened that way.  And, it usually takes days, not hours, for results.

6 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

He thought he was there for an acting role or audition when it fact it was to teach drama to kids in an after school program (Boys and Girls Club, I believe.)

I thought he had a small job as a piano player for the real teacher but that teacher wasn't there for.... reasons I forget.

• Love 2

I enjoyed seeing the sperm bank nurse again.

That's Laura Kightlinger, and she's a producer of the show (now, as well as on the original show). She made several appearances on the show back in the day, not only as the nurse in the sperm bank but also as Jack Black's nurse/sister when Karen went in for a physical. She was also a nurse at Jack's school when he was studying nursing and was at his graduation ceremony. I think she's also written several episodes. She used to be a stand-up comic back in the day.

• Love 6

I don’t know. I’ve never liked Leo, I just never thought he fit in with the group and for some reason Grace always bothered me when she was in a relationship with Leo.

Also yes.. I just assumed they had only been married once until this episode mentioned a second marriage? My thinking before this episode was that they had stayed married from when he cheated and got separated but never went full with a divorce,and I don’t know what parts of season 8 are retcon and forgotten about, they seem to be taking bits and pieces and almost, if not all of Graces story from season 8 is totally forgotten about because she was pregnant through almost all of that season so..

it’s confusing because in a perfect world, I assumed season 8 would be erased completely but were still including Vince and we are now including a second marriage with Grace and also which to me makes things way more confusing than needs to be.

This episode was better. Look it probably takes time to get back into these characters.

• Love 3

My DVR cut off about 1-2 minutes before the end of the episode, literally in the middle of Grace's sentence.  Would anyone mind telling me what happened at the very very end?

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Michichick said:

Jack seemed to be wearing a lot of makeup. Was that character-based, or are they just overdoing it on Sean Hayes's face?

He's looked weird in all three eps to me. As though he's had work done, plus wearing makeup.

• Love 2

I just presume whenever Grace walks into any office, they immediately use gas to knock her out because no one wants to deal with her.  Sometimes it's best to make your own fun. 

He's looked weird in all three eps to me. As though he's had work done, plus wearing makeup.

I feel like he's wearing make up in an attempt to look younger. 

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:51 PM, swimmyfish said:

It worries me for Vince's return; I thought he was great, and I am afraid what they'll do with him this time around.

I just hope they give Will and Vince a proper amount of closure, like they did for Grace and Leo.

• Love 4

I hope if they do cover Will and Vince its nothing super dramatic but rather both of them being married to their jobs,  being a detective and a lawyer are both time consuming and emotionally draining jobs. 

• Love 3

That was beyond bizarre.  When my daughter had a suspicious lump in her breast we went to the doctor for the initial exam, talked about what the next steps were, made an appointment for the biopsy, the doctor talked her through the process (basically a hole punch type situation where it grabs some of the tissue in the breast).  It was done in a matter of minutes and she most certainly wasn't put under.  I kind of dismissed this whole thing because it was just their way to bring in Leo, but it was REALLY outside the realm of any reality.  Even if Grace didn't know she had a lump and it was discovered during the breast exam, it still wouldn't have happened that way.  And, it usually takes days, not hours, for results.

Seriously. I had to roll my eyes a little because she had an initial test, got the biopsy AND got her results all in one day? That really is the magic of TV, because when I had to get biopsies in both breasts a few years back, it took FOREVER. I had to wait a couple weeks to have the biopsy and another week to get the results. It was pretty much a whole month of worrying and stress, wondering whether or not I had cancer. (Thankfully, I did not.)

I just presume whenever Grace walks into any office, they immediately use gas to knock her out because no one wants to deal with her.  Sometimes it's best to make your own fun. 

Ha! Now that I could definitely buy. LOL.

That's Laura Kightlinger, and she's a producer of the show (now, as well as on the original show). She made several appearances on the show back in the day, not only as the nurse in the sperm bank but also as Jack Black's nurse/sister when Karen went in for a physical.

I love her. She's always funny. So glad to see her back in a cameo.

While boozy bitchy Karen is what I like best her scenes with the young girl were great, especially the cute tap on the nose at the end.

I enjoyed their exchanges as well, especially:

Girl: You're mean!

Karen: You have nooooooo idea.

Heee. Karen's terrible with kids, but always really funny with them.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 5

I don't know why, but for some bizarre reason although I just good-naturedly tolerated Jack in the original run, I'm suddenly more invested in his story than just about anyone's else's right now. I'd LOVE for him to realize he gets more joy out of teaching young kids and pursue that as a dream. I'd LOVE for Kyle Bonheiner to turn out to be more than a one-night stand for him and see him in a real relationship. I don't know where the hell this is coming from!! It's not like I'm invested in SH as an actor; this sudden interest in Jack's end game is coming completely out of left field for me.

• Love 9
On 10/13/2017 at 10:41 AM, marny said:

My DVR cut off about 1-2 minutes before the end of the episode, literally in the middle of Grace's sentence.  Would anyone mind telling me what happened at the very very end?

NBC does that on their entire Thursday line-up (and perhaps other weeknights as well, but I wouldn't know since I only watch the Thursday line-up) and it's highly annoying. In theory I should catch the last part of the show on the recording for the next show in the line-up, but there seems to be a gap of a couple seconds as my DVR changes from recording one show to the next. So all I saw on the next recording was the door closing.

Maybe I'll just set my DVR to record Superstore for 90 minutes past the show's actual end and thus capture all of Thursday on one unbroken recording. For most shows I guess it's just cutting off a final joke, but The Good Place often has a major twist in the final seconds.

• Love 1

Although I never liked Leo in the original run, his scenes with Grace had me cracking up. I also think he looks great. That Last Word bit was great. 

I am finding Will and Grace good. I have become less enthused with Jack and Karen.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

I don't know why, but for some bizarre reason although I just good-naturedly tolerated Jack in the original run, I'm suddenly more invested in his story than just about anyone's else's right now. I'd LOVE for him to realize he gets more joy out of teaching young kids and pursue that as a dream. I'd LOVE for Kyle Bonheiner to turn out to be more than a one-night stand for him and see him in a real relationship. I don't know where the hell this is coming from!! It's not like I'm invested in SH as an actor; this sudden interest in Jack's end game is coming completely out of left field for me.

I doubt Jack will have any growth. In the original series, didn't he stop acting and started studying to become a nurse? If I'm recalling correctly, he discovered he was good at it. Then, suddenly, he dropped that character growth to go back to being "Just Jack," a stereotypical self-centered gay man.

I admit I laughed several times throughout. I especially liked Karen's interaction with the little girl who was getting her first period, and her realization that was the girl's issue. It didn't make sense, though, that Karen asks her at the end if she had a "husband or lover" to talk to about it -- didn't the girl tell her she lived with her father and brother, so there were no female role models for her or girlfriends she could confide in? I got the impression that Karen had bought her some feminine hygiene products.

In another thread, someone mentioned that Debra Messing is trying so very hard. I have to concur. Her storyline was stupid. As others have mentioned, in what world does someone wake up from anesthesia not knowing why you were anesthetized? 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

In another thread, someone mentioned that Debra Messing is trying so very hard. I have to concur. Her storyline was stupid. As others have mentioned, in what world does someone wake up from anesthesia not knowing why you were anesthetized? 

I'm not sure how common it is, but it happens. I lost an entire day.

• Love 1

But is that Debra Messing's fault, or the fault of the writers who came up with such a ridiculous plot point?

• Love 4

Frankly it's jarring to see all four of them eleven years older. I catch reruns of this show from time to time - WE TV ran a Saturday marathon of the show I watched while I was cleaning house. So I still expect them to look the way they did eleven years ago. It doesn't help that we've suddenly rejoined them and everything in their lives is basically the same except for the way they look.

Speaking of looks, I find myself distracted by the re-design of the exterior hallway. 

On 10/14/2017 at 2:15 PM, Miss Dee said:

I'd LOVE for Kyle Bonheiner to turn out to be more than a one-night stand for him and see him in a real relationship.

I agree, that would be great! Loved KB in the short-lived Jane Lynch sitcom Angel From Hell - very funny.

• Love 2
On 16/10/2017 at 2:41 PM, iMonrey said:

I'm thinking it's the makeup: a few friends got to see his Broadway play within the past year and posted their selfies with him.  He's older (duh) but didn't seem he had work done.  

On 16/10/2017 at 2:41 PM, iMonrey said:

Speaking of looks, I find myself distracted by the re-design of the exterior hallway.

YES,  I'll fanwalk that they had renovations done to the building, but I really don't like it. 

On 10/13/2017 at 11:37 AM, Blakeston said:

this was insane. i was flashing back to remembering how many years ago a woman would go in for a possible breast cancer issue and wake up without a breast. what doctor these days puts a woman under without her knowing it (!) to give her a biopsy? AND...she was way way way too calm about it and the fact that she might have cancer! wtf!? completely unrealistic. especially for someone like grace. i have been more anxious about a rash. 

On 10/14/2017 at 7:23 PM, Black Knight said:

NBC does that on their entire Thursday line-up (and perhaps other weeknights as well, but I wouldn't know since I only watch the Thursday line-up) and it's highly annoying. In theory I should catch the last part of the show on the recording for the next show in the line-up, but there seems to be a gap of a couple seconds as my DVR changes from recording one show to the next. So all I saw on the next recording was the door closing.

Maybe I'll just set my DVR to record Superstore for 90 minutes past the show's actual end and thus capture all of Thursday on one unbroken recording. For most shows I guess it's just cutting off a final joke, but The Good Place often has a major twist in the final seconds.

just set each show to record 5 minutes early and end 5 minutes later. i do this a lot. otherwise you can miss the beginning or end of many shows and i don't know why this happens.

and it's breast cancer awareness month . and this totally unrealistic , never would happen situation is how they bring it up? 

• Love 1

A biopsy. And so ridiculous. As a survivor, when I underwent this procedure, I was AWAKE. They just Lidocained the area to death, so I wouldn't feel the GIANT, HUMONGOUS NEEDLE going through my breast to extract tissue to see if the lump was cancerous or benign. They told me I would feel a "slight discomfort." My ass. I would have preferred to be put under, and I have a high threshold for pain.

Actually, in the beginning of the episode, she told Will that her obgyn found "something" in her left breast and she had to get a biopsy or something. And next thing we see, she's coming out of anesthesia.

31 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

and it's breast cancer awareness month . and this totally unrealistic , never would happen situation is how they bring it up? 

Double insult, even if it was played for laughs.

• Love 1