Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E05: Descending Into Good And Evil

Drogo
  • Start Topic

Drawing inspiration from the film "Descendants 2", the designers visit Lyndhurst Castle and are tasked with creating a look that represents good or evil. Dove Cameron and China Anne McClain are guest judges.

39 minutes ago, awaken said:

I wonder what determines whether it is a one or two day challenge? There doesn't seem to be any correlation with how complex the challenge is! 

It was abstract.  The challenge was abstract - "Do Good" or "Do Evil" - and they want the contestants to go nuts with it and hopefully get really artistic or even (draws in gasp) AVANT GARDE.

Designing pajamas or some outfit for a real person is extremely literal and practical, hence, one day.

I'm not saying it makes sense at all, it's just my observation.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

I love Kenya. "I just don't like a jacked-up crotch!" 

I have seen every episode of this show and Aaron's garment is top 5 worst things that have appeared. Yeesh.

I didn't like Ayana's either. Very matronly and I hated the colors.

Thought there would be more drama with Margarita since she got the phone call home, but no!

• Love 24
5 minutes ago, pheebs said:

Okay - now it's official. Claire is the absolute worst. "I'm not going to...grovel...and say, "Oh, thankyouthankyouthankyou, you know, I'll do better next week. I don't believe I deserved to be there in the first place."

Wanker.

I really wished she had been aufed too, but I knew the multiple elimination option wasn't real.

• Love 14

WTH were the judges smoking this week? I didn't get the big appeal of Brandon's design at all. And her boobs were hanging out. Michael should have won, his dress was sexy and 'evil'. 

There were so many other black designs (evil) that were safe that I thought should have been in the top three. And I hate to say this but Shawn's was one of them. 

Not surprise that Aaron got auf'ed and the 'more than one might go home' was a fake out of course. We would not be so lucky to lose one of the twins yet. 

I still do not care what the models think. So much focus is on them this season. They Are dictating to the designers what they want to wear. They are models, not clients. This would not happen in the real world of fashion. I can't picture a model telling Zac Posen, ' ya know, I don't want to wear anything short and sparkly'. 

• Love 8

Oh Aaron. Holy crap that was awful. Although I liked Kenya's the best, I thought Michael was going to win. Once again, I'm not getting the Brandon praise. I didn't think it was bad or anything, I just couldn't see the amazingness. I do think that the "Evil" option had the advantage of being more interesting from a fashion point of view.

I'm glad Margarita got to stay. I was worried when they showed her talking to her family. And Claire? Saying "thank you" is not groveling. It's polite acknowledgement of the constructive critique. Oh well, it looks like she turns on Shawn next week.

Edited by Vanderboom
  • Love 10

At this point, the only thing that is keeping me invested in the show is the "cheating" accusation from the season-long trailer and how it feels like they are sort of dropping hints, clues to it each episode like it's the Project Runway version of the "Who Got Murdered" drama of Big Little Liars. 

• Love 18
10 minutes ago, agirlreading said:

Oh my god, I don't understand how Brandon's outfit won. There were at least 3 other garments that were so much better. I'm calling BS that ANY of those women who claimed to like his outfit, would ever wear that out in public- or even want to be stuck in that costume on their show. I appreciate that he was trying to go for something different, but there's a way to do that without just putting different colored bags over women. I don't understand the love fest that's been going on with his looks all season.  They often talk about wanting to see more from a designer, but Brandon is one designer I have no interest in see more from. I just know it's going to be a boring, long, weirdly constructed pajama shirt in some hideous, yet dull color or print. It's insulting to me that he wins with that garbage over actual beautifully constructed garments. The only good thing I can say is at least he seems like a nice guy.

I agree that Brandon seems like a nice guy. I thought that Batani's and Margarita's outfits should have been at the top. I also thought that Kentaro's was cool, but I'm into the minimalist look anyway. Michael's model sold his look because she liked it a lot. I thought his dress looked a bit matronly. Brandon's one note and I wouldn't wear anything he's made. Perhaps he'll step up his game. I don't buy that his looks are better than a few of the other designers'.

• Love 16

I can't believe Brandon won.  The sleeves?  The whole thing reminded me of the shirt Denise makes Theo on the Cosby show.  I didn't like it at all.

Aaron's...oh my. I thought it looked like streamers. With my very limited sewing ability, I tend to judge by "I can sew that."  That's what I thought about Aaron's...I could sew that, and that's not good. 

I wasnt that that impressed with Kenya's but it was constructed very well.

i didn't think Claire's was that bad.  It wasn't interesting, but it wasn't awful  

i really liked Michael's and thought he should have won. 

• Love 13
18 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I have seen every episode of this show and Aaron's garment is top 5 worst things that have appeared. Yeesh.

I stopped watching for a few seasons (after the wretched Gretchen win), but Aaron's look is possibly the worst I've ever seen. I honestly can't think of a look that was so poorly made. It was falling off the model. And it was ugly.

I'd have chosen Michael's look for the win.

I love the Brothers. So cute.

• Love 14

It was pretty clear Aaron was going to go this week. His look was a disaster. I would've preferred seeing the last of Claire, but I dislike Shawn even more, since I think she relies on Claire too much.

As for the good, I would've preferred Kenya for the win. Her look was "evil" without being literal or impractical. Michael's look was way too literal for me, like a costume, and Brandon's was totally impractical. What woman wouldn't have problems with side boobage with that outfit shifting on her body as she walked. And the cuffs were so long you couldn't see her hands! How was she suppose to function. He must be "high fashion" because a real woman couldn't eat, pick up anything, or check her watch in that outfit.

• Love 15

I liked Brandon's,  but the sleeves were completely impractical.  

Kenya was my pick for the win.  It was gorgeous.  So beautiful.  And the crotch was not jocked up.

Aaron.  Loose threads, top falling down, weird streamers, the zipper.  Has there ever been a worst outfit?

Still think Kentaro is human sunshine.  Adore him!

I do not get Amy's design.  Bleh. 

For the record Margarita.  Fat girls want to look beautiful too.  If you're truly a designer, you can figure it out.  That whole whine made me give her side eye.

Edited by dosodog
  • Love 24
2 minutes ago, Yokosmom said:

i used to think that Shawn was the least talented of the twins, but apparently I was mistaken. 

I thought the same. Frankly, I think they both need each other's presence, or the quality of their work dips even further.

3 minutes ago, jackjill89 said:

My son, who doesn't even watch the show, saw Margarita on the phone and said, "well you know who's going home this week!" They did fake us out this time.

I said the same thing to the TV. Too many talking heads early in an episode is a bad sign. I was glad it was a fake out.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, dosodog said:

Kenya was my pick for the win.  It was gorgeous.  So beautiful.  And the crotch was not jocked up.

Aaron.  Loose threads, top falling down, weird streamers, the zipper.  Has there ever been a worst outfit?

Kenya should have won.  The rag that Aaron sent down the runway takes Grand Prize for the Worst Outfit Ever.  I've watched this show since Day 1, and it's the worst one I've seen.  He should be hiding his face in shame.

• Love 7

If I was one of the designers and heard it was going to be a Two Day challenge, I would've been preparing myself for the usual inevitable twist so I feel like some people never fully committed to the idea of having two days to work on their outfits because they were waiting for usually inevitable twist that, for once, didn't show up.

See, this is what I like about Brandon's stuff. It's runway, not every day. Margerita was freaking out because she "makes clothes that make women feel awesome!" - well, that's great and all - but there's nothing wrong with designing for the runway when you're on a show called "Project Runway"!

I don't mind the impracticality either. The problem with Project Runway is that it's never been able to figure out what it is because vacillates between ready to wear and runway depending on how much they respond to the outfit/designer so you never know what is going to be dinged. 

Edited by BloggerAloud
  • Love 12

I definitely agree with the Auf this week, no question. And I think Claire's was so boring it belonged in the bottom. I didn't hate the other bottom look as much, and though it could have had some potential, but the construction was overworked. Either way, I'm glad she didn't get kicked out over Aaron's mess.

I liked the top looks though I wouldn't have chosen Brandon as the winner, it was too much like his outfit last week and while it was 'high fashion' I guess? I didn't get the good/evil theme with it. I loved Kenya's outfit and probably would have chosen her as the winner. The other top dress was also great, though I think the fabric was doing a lot of the work. It definitely had the drama down, and the feather use was spot on.

I wanted to see the other black dress in the top- with the feathers at the shoulder and the slit, showing off the model's shape. I would have liked a closer look at that dress.

Shawns half dress half shorts or whatever didn't work for me.  I do think most of the other looks all belonged near the top, it was a fun challenge this week.

I agree that it was hilarious to watch the twins talking head bitch about other looks being bad and then they end up in the top... ha ha ha

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

The only ones I can think of are Blaine with his body stocking that pooped fabric and Wendy Pepper's candy body art. Nope. I'm wrong. Aaron's was worse.

See, this is what I like about Brandon's stuff. It's runway, not every day. Margerita was freaking out because she "makes clothes that make women feel awesome!" - well, that's great and all - but there's nothing wrong with designing for the runway when you're on a show called "Project Runway"!

Thank you!  I was so ticked at Margarita that I kind of blacked out on what it was that annoyed me so and you helped me focus on what it was.

At one point I felt she was upset about the challenge idea itself-not really real world clothes.  But she began including never designing clothes for larger woman and she wants to make clothes to make women feel awesome. 

And suddenly. It felt like a plus size gal was an obstacle to making awesome clothes.

I'm going to have to watch again to see if I was projecting and or overly sensitive. 

• Love 11

I loved the top 3 looks, but I would have gone with Kenya, Kentaro, and Margarita, especially Kentaro. That was just beautiful in every way. Unique, perfectly constructed, and the fabric was gorgeous.

I kind of get the impression that the twins have never been trained to design. They know how to make shorts. They're bluffing their way as they go. They throw these garments together like throwing spaghetti against the wall and see what works. They're not only horrid but horribly untalented.

• Love 10

I really liked Margarita's - the model had told Tim that she always feels covered up out there  and Margarita puts her in a dress that makes her into a total bombshell. I preferred that one over Michael's. I did like the sleeves on Brandon's top - not as something I would wear (looks like it would be really annoying), but as runway fashion. 

The twins would drive me insane. It's like they're acting out in their own melodramatic play in their corner whenever they hit a design snag.

From the recap:

I love that bib on Kenya's so much, even though I could never wear it -- I would look like a ship entering port

LOL.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

I agree that Brandon seems like a nice guy. I thought that Batani's and Margarita's outfits should have been at the top. I also thought that Kentaro's was cool, but I'm into the minimalist look anyway. Michael's model sold his look because she liked it a lot. I thought his dress looked a bit matronly. Brandon's one note and I wouldn't wear anything he's made. Perhaps he'll step up his game. I don't buy that his looks are better than a few of the other designers'.

Yes, those were the other 3 picks of mine! I actually really liked Michael's look though, It actually looked great on his model and it was beautiful; once I saw it on her I didn't get the matronly vibe.

31 minutes ago, Snickerdoodle said:

I can't believe Brandon won.  The sleeves?  The whole thing reminded me of the shirt Denise makes Theo on the Cosby show.  I didn't like it at all.

Aaaah, YES, LOL! And then didn't his friends all end up thinking it looked cool? What a perfect comparison. :)

28 minutes ago, dosodog said:

I didn't have an issue with the impracticality; a lot of fashion is impractical, particularly on the runway. I had an issue with it being so ugly. 

Kentaro is so unexpected. He was so quiet at first and I thought he had no personality, but he's so funny and friendly, a delight. And I've quite liked most of his designs. 

I think Amy got lucky there were so many other bad ones, because I thought it was pretty ugly. I feel like she's always trying to do too much with her looks and while sometimes it's interesting, it's never beautiful. That pink dress is so expected for the "good" girl except that it was poorly made. The colors on the cape didn't go with it at all. I didn't have an issue with the cape, but it was nothing special. 

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

Kenya should have won.  The rag that Aaron sent down the runway takes Grand Prize for the Worst Outfit Ever.  I've watched this show since Day 1, and it's the worst one I've seen.  He should be hiding his face in shame.

I would have given Kenya the win too. Michael's was a bit matronly and definitely costumey. I liked Brandon's look, but he's been making really similar menswear looks. I would have put him in the top with the same admonition the judges gave him.

A note to Heidi, Kenya's outfit looked like thousands because it is worth at least a thousand bucks if sold retail. It was $300 in material + Kenya's labor + covering the store's costs = $1000.

I thought Margarita's was costumey too. Or maybe I hate feathers. I liked Amy's Erte inspired coat, but the dress underneath was a throwaway. I wish Ayana would stop putting head scarves on every outfit. I'm not confused as to whether an outfit is modest if there isn't a head scarf.

Samantha's fabric looked like it came from the Free People reject pile.

Aaron knew he was gone because that was hideous.

1 hour ago, pheebs said:

Okay - now it's official. Claire is the absolute worst. "I'm not going to...grovel...and say, "Oh, thankyouthankyouthankyou, you know, I'll do better next week. I don't believe I deserved to be there in the first place."

Wanker.

A thank you is not groveling. Claire is an entitled imbecile.

I'm guessing that there is a 51% rule in terms of garment construction.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 12