Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E05: Descending Into Good And Evil

Drogo
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Beden said:

Technically it's a different challenge.

As you point out, there are many considerations, and many special skills involved in designing for plus size.   These are not skills beginning designer will usually have, so it is a bit of a curve ball (no pun intended) to suddenly assign them a plus-size model.  While other designers get to design for models of the traditional size.  

3 hours ago, Nancypants said:

Maybe next week we can get them to Run With Scissors. 

Or out the door marked "Exit."

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, Special K said:

I loved Brandon's look.  I don't view it in the I-would-wear/I-wouldn't-wear dichotomy.  I just loved it.  I loved how even though it wasn't fitted or revealing, it still mirrored her body shape and was really sexy.  Loved the colors and reference to menswear and bondage.  I do get tired of contestants always equating tight+skin with sexy.

All that side boob? Not revealing? Also, the slit was to her crotch. Not traditionally revealing, but not really covered up either.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Tess23 said:

It's PC now to applaud plus size figures on this show; why not the woman over 50? I call ageism. Let's have some models over the age of 45--that would really send the designers into a tailspin.

I'm mature, as well.  It strikes me that when they talk about having different models they only mean plus sizes.  How about women who are in wheelchairs?  Older women, pregnant women, etc.?  

• Love 6

I'm surprised that none of the other designers have called out the twins for their disruptive behavior in the workroom. Where did they learn to behave like that? I can't think of any work/classroom situation where that shit is acceptable behavior. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, carrps said:

Too much side boob!!!!

When the model said she'd be nervous wearing it out I believed her. I could see Heidi wearing it. She'd totally be fine with a boob or two popping out. It was interesting if you'd never seen any of Brandon's previous designs, but it was a bit same old same old by this episode. And I don't see evening unless it's an evening picnic. But, then, how do you eat?

I'm all for fashion forward but it was like a circus clown outfit.  When someone wears XXXL pants and suspenders to hold them to the small human body inside.

No idea what Descendants is (and don't want to know) but I guess not my assumption when I watched the episode, which is that it is a sequel to the George Clooney movie

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9

I normally applaud when the worst look (clearly Aaron last night) goes home.  Normally, the judges send home the boring look (Claire) first.   So disappointed that she wasn't gone.   I've noticed from the beginning that she's carrying her twin.  So, of course, all the previews are finally acknowledging that Clare (with hair) is carrying (Shorn) Shawn.   Called it two weeks ago.   And if they could leave, I could enjoy the talent.   And what is comfy about a sheer skirt with 1950 gym shorts underneath it?

Personally, I liked Kenya's but can't figure out why Michael didn''t win.  He had the toughest fit and she looked amazing.   Don't blame that model for picking that designer.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Special K said:

It's PC now to applaud plus size figures on this show; why not the woman over 50? I call ageism. Let's have some models over the age of 45--that would really send the designers into a tailspin.

I'm with you.  I'm well over 50 and still interested in fashion with the disposable income to spend on it.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 16
18 hours ago, dosodog said:

I liked Brandon's,  but the sleeves were completely impractical.  

Kenya was my pick for the win.  It was gorgeous.  So beautiful.  And the crotch was not jocked up.

Aaron.  Loose threads, top falling down, weird streamers, the zipper.  Has there ever been a worst outfit?

Still think Kentaro is human sunshine.  Adore him!

I do not get Amy's design.  Bleh. 

For the record Margarita.  Fat girls want to look beautiful too.  If you're truly a designer, you can figure it out.  That whole whine made me give her side eye.

Word!!  I came here just to complain about Margarita..  she kept saying she wanted to help people look beautiful and yet was complaining that her model was full figured!!  (Normal sized..probably a size 12).  I wanted to reach into the TV and slap the whiney look on her face.

• Love 9
46 minutes ago, Nancypants said:

I'm surprised that none of the other designers have called out the twins for their disruptive behavior in the workroom. Where did they learn to behave like that? I can't think of any work/classroom situation where that shit is acceptable behavior. 

Someone should slip some Adderall or Ritalin into their Red Bull, calm those hyperactive  (I'm old - that's what we used to call ADD or ADHD or whatever they call it now) nitwits right the fuck down.  Obviously their parents never taught them manners, boundaries or any humility whatsoever.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Tess23 said:

Not sure how old most posters are on this board, but I'm 55 and am getting a little tired of the word 'matronly' being tossed around like it's the worst crime known to man. Just because a woman is 'of an age' doesn't mean she doesn't want to look pretty and fashionable. I like to think I look and act younger than 55 but let's be real--fashionable for my age isn't Heidi-wear and yeah, I'd like the upper arms covered, please. On a purely practical level, this age demographic has more disposable income than we did when we were raising kids and helping them with college, so when Nina (no spring chicken, cough) wrinkles her nose and sneers the word 'matronly' I think, "Well what's wrong with that?" It's an overused word that's code for the model looking older than she is.

Thank you and I concur! I'm 60 and my usual attire is jeans and a t-shirt or sweater. I live on a farm and practical and comfy rules around here. But, I still have a nice figure and like to look nice when I need to. I'm also willing to spend more on shoes and clothing that fits well and is well made. It's frustrating to go shopping and so many times, it's either the shredded jeans look or the ready for the nursing home look. It gets harder and harder to find that something stylish that doesn't make you look like you're trying to look way younger than you are or like you have no style at all. Some of these designers would freak if they had to design something for a woman in her 50's-60's. A woman of that age that's also plus size would make some of them cry.

• Love 24

I just watched my dvr'd show and cannot believe the levels of both arrogance and incompetance I just saw. Claire sure thinks highly of herself. Her look was a costume. A poor costume, but a costume nonetheless, yet she had the nerve to criticize Brandon's design. Truth be told, I didn't think Brandon's should have won. I liked it, but it did not strike me as an eveningwear look. The twins' constant running around the workroom gets on my nerves so I can only imagine how annoying it is to those in the workroom. As for Aaron? WTH? If I didn't know better, I'd think he did it on purpose to get kicked off. As for Nina's critiques, I agree she is harsh, but I also loved watching Claire have to take it. Those two are so self important, and their affect is not cute, its a pathetic attempt at portraying themselves as more cultured than they are. Can you tell I don't enjoy having them on this show?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Tess23 said:

Just because a woman is 'of an age'

Tess23, you are in for a rough ride because the mass mailings from AARP will come faster and faster the older you get. (with my SIL's death, we found that AARP still wanted her as a member.)

Some of us have been watching the whole time the series has been on, and we've been left out, age wise the whole time. I think Michael's Mother of the Bride probably cost him sales as MOB's do need quality dresses for when they are MOBs.  And other times.  

So much for having a choice of xhundred TV shows each hour.  Someday, we might be appreciated, and advertisers might realize we are a demographic with money to spend.  The license plates that read "We're spending our children's inheritance" have many, many grains of truth.

• Love 9

I can't believe they visited Lyndhurst and didn't go INSIDE.   Talk about inspiration.   The house was once owned by robber baron Jay Gould.   The interior is a Victorian wonderland.   I have been there several times.   Lyndhurst doubled as Collinwood in the two Dark Shadows feature-length movies, House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows.

This puzzled me. They all ran for the entrance, and then the next thing I knew, they all "chose" to work in the rose garden. Did they not have permission to film in the castle? If not, then why use it? 

I also thought of the George Clooney film The Descendants when I saw the challenge, but then I (vaguely) remembered the Disney film. Was it really enough of a hit that it merits a sequel? Also, it cracks me up when the contestants get so excited over the celebrity judges, when I doubt they even know who they are. At least I didn't. I forget who it was but one of the guys gushed, "I can't believe I'm right here next to Dove whatever and China whatever!!!" Except, of course, he used their actual last names, which were probably being fed to him by a producer as he spoke.

Brandon has gone way beyond the man bun into those french braid pigtail things..Forget what he designed, i just keep looking at his hair. Unfortunately, tonight he was back to man bun, but there was a hint of pigtails in the previouslies. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Jodithgrace said:

Also, it cracks me up when the contestants get so excited over the celebrity judges, when I doubt they even know who they are. At least I didn't.

Never heard of the movie, never heard of the actresses. I know I'm "old" but what % of PR watchers know either? I understand that there are these tie-ins and cross-promotions, so we have to deal with it, but this one really seemed pointless.

2 minutes ago, Jodithgrace said:

Brandon has gone way beyond the man bun into those french braid pigtail things..Forget what he designed, i just keep looking at his hair. Unfortunately, tonight he was back to man bun, but there was a hint of pigtails in the previouslies. 

I will totally take his hair over Aaron's pink tresses and black camisoles. And no, I'm not really against dresses on men per se (though my DH would never in a million years go there).

• Love 3

I have so many comments about this episode and just this season in general, I don't even know where to start.

Think I finally figured out why there *may* be some objection to the twins and the way they help each other. It took me a bit to figure it out because I was thinking, well nice people have always helped out other people on PR and they're not WINNING every week, so who cares?, BUT, if you stop and really ponder, they are having an advantage because they work together. They're taking up TWO spaces in the contestant pool and IF they are collaborating on one really good garment (yeah, I know, we haven't really seen that yet, except for last week, when Shawn was in the top 3) and one garment just good enough to escape elimination, they are definitely working an advantage that the other single designers do not have. As far as I know, it's mostly an individual competition, and they've never had a legitimate team of designers, like D&G, etc.

Aaron's was terrible and auf-worthy, even with Wendy Pepper's party favours get-up and Emilio's string and washers barely-bikini, it's still the worst thing I think I've ever seen on the show. At least Emilio's, as bare as it was, didn't make the model look like a crazy person who rolled around in a dumpster and then showed up to a party. I think he has a good heart though, and he wasn't heinous (except for the sheer bloomers), so I will miss him on the show.

Claire's is more of the same thing we have seen from her from the first challenge, so she should have gone as well.

I GET Brandon's win and I get that they think he's different and exciting and kind of something they've never seen before. There's not much new under the sun anyway, so I have not much problem with Kenya's being in the top; I love Prince and that looked pretty nice on her model, so I'm good. My personal favourite: Kentaro, is not getting enough love from the judges, as far as I'm concerned. I guess I don't mind if Brandon is the pre-determined winner, as long as Kentaro and Kenya get to stay with him for the finale. They are my three faves, and although I am kind of pulling for Kentaro now, I would not be angry if Brandon or Kenya won. Oh also, Michael and Margarita, I almost forgot about them, but I was a little put out with Margarita this week over her model's size, especially after the first episode when she stated she was excited because she designs for regular people. Maybe it was the huge boobs, I don't know. I DO know it's harder to design for larger models because even going all the way back to home ec starting in 9th grade/junior high, we designed for ourselves and in junior high (yeah, I'm so old it wasn't called middle school then) I was a size 5 (70s sizes, people) with a 23 1/2 inch waist. So I get it's a little more difficult, but don't blather on in a talking head about how excited you are because you are a "designer of the people." I still like her though and I adore her and Michael's close friendship. Ditto Brandon and Kentaro.

So, finally, I loved reading Tara and Sarah's update on PR season 16; it was good to see their snark and observations again, but I was a little dismayed that they think as much of Liris as Liris thinks of herself. I think she is a beautiful girl, with nice proportions and I love her runway walk, but I am tired of way Heidi and the judges are falling all over themselves to defer to the models this year mostly because they have some big girls mixed in. (Big girl here, so no offense; I get weary of the plus-sized label). I noticed next week is going to be models as clients so I can hardly wait to see how insufferable they are going to be, considering how a few of them have acted so far... I like the feedback from them regarding the process or how something fits or they're embarrassed to wear it or afraid it's going to fall off, but not if they LIKE it or not. You're not "paid" to like it as a model, you're paid to wear it and walk it down a runway, while pretending you LOVE it.

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Some of us have been watching the whole time the series has been on, and we've been left out, age wise the whole time. I

Amen.  And we've been left out on most of TV - not just this show.  But you're right.  Ageism is alive and well on PR.  

• Love 8

Couple of things:

- Did Nina lose a bet? Last week we had blue boa feather sleeves and this week the MTV spaceman dress. Week before was a bedazzled something.

- Aaron went from disrespectful see thru bloomers to a cheerleader skirt? I wonder if last week he originally had on no underwear or minimal underwear and they sent an intern to Duane Reade to buy tightey whiteys for the shoot.

- who posted that link to the local Michigan newspaper last week? I thought of that and have an honest question- it talked about the twins' father being a local music promoter. Now, if a colleague at my office shows up with the Girl Scout cookie order form, polite office action is to buy a box. Did Katy Perry need to buy a dress offered by the children of a local concert promoter? Asking seriously. Because it has never been mentioned that she commissioned it in any way, nor did she buy a second piece. In fact, it never mentions that she purchased the first one, only that they spent $800 and 5 months on it. Perhaps it was a gift to her and the "cost" was to be photographed in it?

• Love 9
35 minutes ago, PepperMonkey said:

Aaron's was terrible and auf-worthy, even with Wendy Pepper's party favours get-up and Emilio's string and washers barely-bikini, it's still the worst thing I think I've ever seen on the show.

I don't think I was watching those seasons, but those sound like unconventional challenges...... Aaron had real fabric and Mood to work with.

• Love 11
On 9/15/2017 at 3:26 PM, Sprockets said:

As you point out, there are many considerations, and many special skills involved in designing for plus size.   These are not skills beginning designer will usually have, so it is a bit of a curve ball (no pun intended) to suddenly assign them a plus-size model.  While other designers get to design for models of the traditional size.  

Project Runway always has a "real woman" challenge. Honestly, rotating plus sized models is one of the best improvements the show has made. The "real woman" challenge is often a disaster. The designers are jealous of the contestants who got "real women" who are closer to model proportions. Designers openly bemoan how impossible it is to design for a woman larger than a 4. Designers design to camouflage body parts that their "real women" didn't think they should be ashamed of. And in the worst examples, designers are outright hostile and nasty to the "real women." Switching the models ensures that it's highly unlikely that a contestant will get to the finale without designing for a plus sized model. Because the models will be alternated, the designers are unlikely to talk a ton of shit about a given model being hard to fit because a designer might get that model again. Finally, there is less viewer discomfort because viewers are more comfortable seeing models critiqued about their bodies instead of just civilians.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing a paralympian challenge. It probably won't happen because of the move from Bravo, an NBC Universal network, to Lifetime, which is Disney and Hearst owned.

On 9/15/2017 at 4:07 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

No idea what Descendants is (and don't want to know) but I guess not my assumption when I watched the episode, which is that it is a sequel to the George Clooney movie

On 9/15/2017 at 5:10 PM, Jodithgrace said:

I also thought of the George Clooney film The Descendants when I saw the challenge, but then I (vaguely) remembered the Disney film. Was it really enough of a hit that it merits a sequel?

They clearly said that the Descendants is about the children of the Disney villains. Yes, Disney's the Descendants was popular enough to warrant a sequel. The first one had 17 million viewers and was one of the most watched cable television movies in history. Descendants 2 had 21 million viewers including DVR and on demand.

On 9/15/2017 at 6:03 PM, dleighg said:

I don't think I was watching those seasons, but those sound like unconventional challenges...... Aaron had real fabric and Mood to work with.

Emilio's washer bikini was an unconventional materials challenge in a hardware store, which he did a crap job at estimating how much material he would need.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 5

Brandon's designs have the same effect on me as extremely modern architecture. I can admire the design and construction, but I wouldn't want to live there. I do hope that he designs something besides a crop  top variation soon, though.

As delightful as it is to see Swatch on a regular basis again, I have this irrational urge to see him bit at least one of the twins (but preferably both) on the butt at a Mood shopping time.

• Love 9

Oh, I forgot. I watched while my sister was at work, and she's just watching it now in the other room.

Are the colors on our TV really off??? Because Claire kept whinging about how "bright" her colors were. And they looked like bland pastels to me. ???

• Love 9
16 hours ago, nightowl said:

While I appreciate Kenya's impeccable tailoring, to me it read a little Austin Powers.

I was thinking an evil and very sexy Shirley Partridge complete with melted record sleeves.  I loved it and wish she had won.

• Love 16
28 minutes ago, carrps said:

Oh, I forgot. I watched while my sister was at work, and she's just watching it now in the other room.

Are the colors on our TV really off??? Because Claire kept whinging about how "bright" her colors were. And they looked like bland pastels to me. ???

No, your TV colors are fine.  Her colors were bland pastels with the same mildly nauseating effect as potpourri.

Edited by jrlr
sp
  • Love 8
20 minutes ago, carrps said:

I also thought they were bland, muddy & washed-out pastels.  Not a bit of brightness that I could see, and my TV is only 3 months old (And professionally set up by the Geek Squad! *LOL*)

The Swatch we see is either 2.0 or possibly 3.0.  His "bio" used to be on the Mood website, but I don't know if it's still there. 

5 minutes ago, Callasin said:

I was thinking an evil and very sexy Shirley Partridge complete with melted record sleeves.  I loved it and wish she had won.

Oooh, perfect analogy!  She'd need slightly wider bell-bottoms though, and some chunky-heeled oxford slip-ons! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

They clearly said that the Descendants is about the children of the Disney villains. Yes, Disney's the Descendants was popular enough to warrant a sequel. The first one had 17 million viewers and was one of the most watched cable television movies in history. Descendants 2 had 21 million viewers including DVR and on demand.

I knew about The Descendants and its sequel, but didn't know what is was about. My kids aged out of Disney Channel a while ago. Now I want to see it!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, lovesnark said:

Just because a woman is 'of an age' doesn't mean she doesn't want to look pretty and fashionable.

That's actually why the judges using the word "matronly" doesn't bother me! I mean, my niece is getting married next month and I need to get a dress. If I had the help of a personal shopper (I wish!) I wouldn't say to them "I need a dress for a wedding. I'm 58, so please help me pick out something matronly." To me the word implies a specific style, one that you'd see on the Queen of England or Sophia Petrillo. An older woman, yes, but one who's idea of how an older woman should dress is stuck a few decades back.

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Love 7
21 hours ago, pally said:

Aaron's outfit was quite possibly the worst ever on the show

It was definitely up there, but I'm still not over Season 4 when Carmen Webber sent her poor male model out with a literal swatch of fabric draped around his neck in lieu of a shirt. 

#neverforget

IMG_0029.JPG

• Love 16
13 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I knew about The Descendants and its sequel, but didn't know what is was about. My kids aged out of Disney Channel a while ago. Now I want to see it!

One is middling. Two is fairly terrible. I caught the first by accident, but it was OK for what it was. Descendants 2 is awful. I have no Disney aged children as an excuse. I'm a completist.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, millennium said:

I can't believe they visited Lyndhurst and didn't go INSIDE.   Talk about inspiration.   The house was once owned by robber baron Jay Gould.   The interior is a Victorian wonderland.   I have been there several times.   Lyndhurst doubled as Collinwood in the two Dark Shadows feature-length movies, House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows.

Yes! Someone who remembers it as Collinwood other than me.  I attended a Dark Shadows event there some years ago amd the property is amazing.

• Love 2

I have to say this before I finish watching the episode and reading your posts:

Aaron looks like a 19th-century schoolmarm with a hairy chest. (Miss Eliza Jane Wilder in Little House on the Prairie - TV show)

• Love 8

Wendy Pepper and Emilio's look suffered from what Nina called "no clothes so nothing to judge."  I wouldn't call them the worst.  If you're going to go back to S1, one of the worst contestants was Starr.  Her first dress, in the unconventional challenge, was called "a travesty" by Tim.  Her second, which inexplicably kept her safe, was a cancer dress with representative veins and a giant tumor at the shoulder.  It was the fashion equivalent of Hildi from "Trading Spaces."

Season-1--Episode-1-project-runway-58680_220_370.jpg

5.10.png

• Love 3

Imo, all of the really bad outfits being mentioned/pictured are either unconventional materials which, as @dleighg pointed out--Aaron had real material to work with--or had all or mostly completed seams (perhaps with a few threads hanging here or there), which Aaron's did not.  For me, it's still #1 in the "worst" department. 

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I have to say this before I finish watching the episode and reading your posts:

Aaron looks like a 19th-century schoolmarm with a hairy chest. (Miss Eliza Jane Wilder in Little House on the Prairie - TV show)

I have always felt that if you're going to present an outlandish appearance, you better have the skills to back it up -- otherwise you just look like an idiot.

Aaron looked like an idiot.

33 minutes ago, Callasin said:

Yes! Someone who remembers it as Collinwood other than me.  I attended a Dark Shadows event there some years ago amd the property is amazing.

I still have both movies on VHS, lol.  But no VCR anymore!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BryroseA said:

It was definitely up there, but I'm still not over Season 4 when Carmen Webber sent her poor male model out with a literal swatch of fabric draped around his neck in lieu of a shirt. 

#neverforget

IMG_0029.JPG

I was thinking of this during the discussion of the worst PR outfit ever. Those pants!! (as well as no shirt)

• Love 1