Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E05: Descending Into Good And Evil

Drogo
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, MortysCleaningLady said:

I normally applaud when the worst look (clearly Aaron last night) goes home.  Normally, the judges send home the boring look (Claire) first.   So disappointed that she wasn't gone.   I've noticed from the beginning that she's carrying her twin.  So, of course, all the previews are finally acknowledging that Clare (with hair) is carrying (Shorn) Shawn.   Called it two weeks ago.   And if they could leave, I could enjoy the talent.   And what is comfy about a sheer skirt with 1950 gym shorts underneath it?

Personally, I liked Kenya's but can't figure out why Michael didn''t win.  He had the toughest fit and she looked amazing.   Don't blame that model for picking that designer.

I think this was only true back in the Michael Kors days. From what I've noticed (though I admittedly haven't watched all recent seasons after some frustrations with the show) with the new mix of judges, they send home the worst look now.

I cannot stand the twins but I try not to get too worked up about them. There is a level of fakeness in most reality shows and they are this season's fakeness. There is no way I believe that they made those impressive jackets and other pieces they showed in the tryouts. If they could make those jackets, they could do a much better job in constructing these garments. They are just there to promote their visibility, not to design fashion, and of course the producer(s) jumped all over it. It wouldn't surprise me one stinkin' bit to find out that Shawn's THs were recorded AFTER the results so she could be sure to diss the favored designs and hence continue to irritate the crap out of the majority of us. That said, I will scream if they are on a future season of The Amazing Race. 

• Love 12

I predicted after the first episode that Liris was going to be the winner this year- a fierce, plus size model. Marie Claire and Lifetime get to be inclusive. Whatever designer has her assigned in the finale will be the winner. So far, that is holding up.

• Love 2

I read an article a long time ago about why more designers don't produce garments in larger sizes. One challenge is that heavier people carry their weight in many different ways and on different parts of their bodies. It must be tricky when the models come in for their first fitting. 

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

That's actually why the judges using the word "matronly" doesn't bother me! I mean, my niece is getting married next month and I need to get a dress. If I had the help of a personal shopper (I wish!) I wouldn't say to them "I need a dress for a wedding. I'm 58, so please help me pick out something matronly." To me the word implies a specific style, one that you'd see on the Queen of England or Sophia Petrillo. An older woman, yes, but one who's idea of how an older woman should dress is stuck a few decades back.

So would that be a "NO" to visible side boob?   ;-)

• Love 14

The twins remind me of an old "Peanuts" comic strip. Lucy is in a group of the kids and yells "Attention! Attention! May I have your attention, please!!" Everyone stops and looks at her. Lucy then smirks  "I have nothing to say, I just love attention." Only instead of yelling "Attention" - the twins just yell. But they have absolutely nothing to say with their "fashion."

• Love 24
10 minutes ago, Nancypants said:

I also think the twins are there to promote their visibility. Because , you know- Reality Heaux.

That being said, why would they promote visibility by being intensely dislikeable? Jeez.

Because that makes them memorable and people like to hate watch, resulting in snark, which makes the world turn. 

• Love 4

And we also MUST have people to root against.  Those two make the perfect cannon fodder for any reality show.  But sadly, even the jerks, asshats & miscreants get paid to be on those shows.  *sigh*  So they get money for being disgustingly abhorrent.  *double sigh*

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, Nancypants said:

I also think the twins are there to promote their visibility. Because , you know- Reality Heaux.

That being said, why would they promote visibility by being intensely dislikeable? Jeez.

There is a link in the "Raising Asia" thread to an article about how harmful it is for kids, teenagers, younger adults to appear on reality TV. Reality TV rewards atrocious, abhorrent behavior with more screen time and attention. And often, money. 

• Love 9
55 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Because that makes them memorable and people like to hate watch, resulting in snark, which makes the world turn. 

Amen Sister!

Did anyone else notice that Uncle Festa seemed Disappointed when Ponytail came back from the runway was Not Aufed?

Edited by Nancypants
Twin hate
  • Love 12

I like a good (not the whole damn mammary) side boob & thought Brandon's overall effort was inventive & cool, 'tho edging a bit too closely to his previous work. Hope to see something different very soon from him.  Superficially, am I the only viewer who thinks his age & Margarita's are understated by approx a decade? Brandon's many, deep eye crinkles, & M's very visible under-eye wrinkles + silvery hair strands seem to betray a few (?) extra years.  Of course, on this show (& in much of today's world) to be mumsy/"old"/mature (Michael's sin this week) is totes unacceptable!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, heckkitty said:

I so AM Kenya while those damned twins are running around like lunatics 

IMG_3477.PNG

Lord yes!... And, just like Kenya, I hate Thing 1 and Thing 2 with the Heat of 1000 Suns. Which is One more Reason that I love Kenya!

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, dleighg said:

On a whim, after a newspaper reference, I started Instagram following this person (along with a couple other bravo-celebrities; I don't really "do" instagram) and she's the definition of a fierce, fashionable, older woman-- http://www.accidentalicon.com/

Only a couple of minutes checking out the link, and I already love her --  let's add Lyn Slater to the panel (she and Rodin will be all "Why is your model dressed in a straitjacket with giant wrist bows and a Laura Ingalls striped apron showing major side boob? Is she from the Island of Misfit Fucktoys?")  

woman.jpg

Edited by film noire
  • Love 18
4 hours ago, film noire said:

Preach, sistah!

"Matronly" (as far as I can tell) usually means "You don't look ready to fuck a random passing dude at the drop of a hat". As if the whole point of fashion and aging, as a woman,  is to remain as available to men as you were at fifteen (slathering on Bonnie Bell lipsmacker at a school dance,  as you tried to discreetly pull up your tube top). Fashion for older women is not self expression, or a defiant line drawn in the sand, or a silhouette *you* like: It's remaining fuckable until they put you in the coffin.

And if you piss on that message,  how very dare you for wanting something that serves you while also telling the world, "I know who I am,  I know the rooms I've moved in and out of in my life, so fuck off with your assumptions." The message is so fucking dull and conventional; and shame on Nina for falling for it. 

So yes, older models -- and  let's add the fabulous Linda Rodin as judge --  a woman who would cut a bitch named Nina if she sneered at a style of one's own,  in a (dressing) room of one's own:

rodin.jpg

~thing two and thing one! they ran up! they ran down! on the string of one kite we saw mother's new gown!

I love you. It's bad enough that young women so often feel compelled to dress for the male gaze. i certainly did it myself - took me ages to figure out what I really liked for my own self. And don't even get me started on how so many female celebrities are styled for magazine covers, etc. Tons of cleavage and vapid expressions, like, ""OK, who's next?" Funny that the mal celebrities don't seem to get photographed falling out of their skivvies as they pout sensuously. Well, in fairness, I guess people like Aaron are trying to change that. LOL. 

• Love 4

GREAT book of photographs older women with  I-know-who-I- Am style: Advanced Style by Ari Seth Cohen.   I think there's even a sequel now.  Google it and check out the images - absolutely wonderful and reflective of the spot-on comments above by Film Noire and Tabbygirl521.  

"Remaining fuckable until they put you in the coffin" is 100% correct and also hilarious!  I grew up in L.A. and worked in the entertainment idustry until I retired, and jesus, the minute you hit 35-40 you are absolutely invisible (even in under-the-line occupations like mine).   You could walk down Sunset Blvd. naked and the only response you'd get (other than someone calling for an ambulence, maybe) would be a few people recoiling in horror at the sight of real breasts that might not be as perky as they were ten years before.   

I think designers are clueless about the fact that style for older women not only doesn't have to mean either frumpy or attempting to look like some fuck-toy, but that many of us have enough disposable income to spend on looking the way we like to look.   Christ, the way the judges are slavering over women who are curvy or plus-sized or whatever should be embarrassing (to them) - you'd think that curves, like aging, were just invented.  

Aaron in his skivvies, just. . . eeeuw.  Gender-fluid is one thing, Aaron is something else and it's not good.   

• Love 17

i liked Brandon's look as it felt both retro and fresh at the same time.  I agree with others that the judges saw his as more fashion forward than the others and rewarded that.  I really like Kenya, but in addition to previous posters who connected the look with Prince, the Partridge Family, and others, I wanted to add that I only saw a pirate look every time I saw her outfit.  Michael's look really flattered his model, but to me it seemed like the fabric did most of the look for him.  As for Margarita's, it really seemed to be a variation of the red dress she designed for the first challenge-even to the feathers on  the shoulders.  So, I thought Brandon's stood out as, even though it had a similar look to his previous work (and the judges are always 'I don't know who you are as a designer...') I think the judges may have liked that his looks could all be from the same 'collection' without being exact duplicates of his other looks.  

As for who is the better designer between the twins, I think it may depend on how much time one is spending on the other's look and therefore how limited her own time may be.  Like others, I am so looking forward to their demise...

Oh, and regarding the young actresses, I have noticed that Cameron Dove has begun to be featured on fashion lists.  So, the judging panel is going to trend young this year?  Last week we had the 14 year-old 'designer/dancer' and this week two young Disney actresses.

• Love 4

I think Ayana belonged in the bottom, perhaps more than Claire's, who to be fair, was just super boring, where as Ayana's dress on the bottom was plain ugly and crocked, and too short when the model walked. Was there really flowers under the mesh? 

I found Kenya's look rather meh, its ok, but its been seen before a 1000 times, and Brandon's was new and interesting. Like another poster said, Brandon created fashion, Kenya a nice garment.

I hope someone tells the twins to chill! I would not have been able to keep my cool, if I was Kenya in that situation. But they are good TV..

• Love 5

How long have they had an 'official pen' :D  With all the sponsorship I don't know why they can't afford more 2 day challenges.

The moment when Shawn said she had only just shown herself in the latest challenge made me wonder again how much the two twins just work on each others stuff.  I had a feeling Claire would be near the bottom so seeing her smiling after she was put in the top/bottom section just made me ready for the moment when she out find out the reality.

I didn't mind the models' opinions at the start but there's too much now.  Someone was already asking the advice of a model in this episode as to what they wanted, and the judges were like that too.  A model replied to a judges' positive comment saying 'thank you' as if she had been part of making the outfit herself.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, amazingracefan said:

I didn't mind the models' opinions at the start but there's too much now

I did mind it from the start because it seemed so odd.  The model's job is to display the clothes, not to interact.  It's not a job I ever wanted, but that's what it is.  I do not care what the model has to say.  

• Love 4
17 hours ago, BryroseA said:

It was definitely up there, but I'm still not over Season 4 when Carmen Webber sent her poor male model out with a literal swatch of fabric draped around his neck in lieu of a shirt. 

#neverforget

IMG_0029.JPG

A literal Swatch draped around his neck would have been better.

Oh, wait, the dog challenge was season 3. :)

• Love 7
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

As for who is the better designer between the twins, I think it may depend on how much time one is spending on the other's look and therefore how limited her own time may be.  Like others, I am so looking forward to their demise...

I've been thinking that they have one good brain between the two of them, and somehow it flows back and forth from one to the other, sometimes even leaving each with a half.  

• Love 10

I did like Brandon's, but there were little "hitches" in the fabric right down the middle (the right hand image on the PTV recap makes me think they're where fasteners were--but why did such a loose garment even need fasteners?) which were very distracting to me as they took away from the clean, crisp line of the stripes.  

I like Kenya and I loved the texture and richness of that fabric, which went a long way toward putting it in the top.  I do see the similarities to Prince, pirates, whatever y'all are talking about though.  I was surprised that what with all her careful piecing together of her small amount of yardage, there was no comment made about that on the runway/closer looks.

What do people think of the addition of behind-the-scenes stuff before and after the runway?  I feel like it's being done as a sort of desperate "freshen up" thing (wasn't the "every size" thing enough of a change?, and then after that the model mirror talk?) but it's sometimes interesting.   I noticed that a staffer gave Brandon a congratulatory handshake or fistbump or something, returned kindly; but it seemed to me Claire accepted the hand for the tricky step-down (as others did) but didn't look too friendly.  

I am a pretty good Googler, and I see no evidence that there were any other Swatches before this one.  All photo hits are obviously this same one (with the amount of lightness around his muzzle now greater, making the black areas not quite as crisp, but still the same dog).  All articles I can find are of this dog, and this one states he was going to turn 4 in July 2011.  (There's a "25 things you need to know about Swatch" type article on the Mood site).  None of those articles indicates he's a II or a III.  I'd think that the interview with his human would have indicated "we loved Swatch I so much that we named Swatch II after him in homage" or something.  

I think he looks a lot different running up the stairs with a focus on his back (never saw that before to be honest) than our usual closeup of his resigned-looking face as he lounges amidst the chaos, or him interacting with Time where you're going to see more of his face or at least focus more on his face.  His face and front are where most of his white patches are.  

If there's proof he's a II or III, I'd be interested in seeing it (no snarky tone, honest interest, love Swatch!)

• Love 8

I get that designing for a plus size woman can be a technical challenge. Sort of like savory chefs having to bake or use unfamiliar ingredients.  It's out of their comfort zone. The designers need to remember these are challenges. This is a chance to learn something new. Even size 2 models have different body shapes. You can look at a plus-size woman and see her shape -- is she a triangle, apple, pear, etc? If they know what looks good on that body shape, they should be able to figure out how to flatter a larger woman with the same shape. I am heavy. I know what works on me and what doesn't because I understand my shape and how to play up my best features. I don't want to wear a shapeless tent. I want to show off what I've got and minimize my flaws. I think that many designers look at any extra weight as a flaw. It's not. It's just different. While models are supposedly "perfect" even skinny women have features they don't like and others they love. That's just being human. 

I liked Margarita until she lamented about wanting to make women look beautiful and she couldn't comprehend how to do that for an overweight woman. Beauty and wanting to look good doesn't come in one size. 

The twins completely suck. I went to their website. Their clothing looks cheap and ridiculous. Yuck. There is nothing interesting or unique about them. If Claire is supposed to be the more talented one helping Shawn, I would hate to see what Shawn would create on her own. Her last two looks have been not bad, but Claire's looks have been garbage. 

• Love 8
15 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

One challenge is that heavier people carry their weight in many different ways and on different parts of their bodies. It must be tricky when the models come in for their first fitting. 

But heavier people come in (at least) two sexes.  Let's be old fashioned and say male and female.  Men can still find tailors to make their suits fit them and flatter their shapes.  Men with narrow shoulders don't have to fit in shirts, suits, sweaters that make them look like Barney Fife (and there are a log of guys out there with that build).  What about hiding the extra pounds that men put on with time?  A good tailor can make them look so much better.  There are tailors out there who can handle, for men,  in many different ways and on different parts of their bodies

Even in jeans men get a huge assortment of waist sizes  and those sizes come with different pants lengths.  If that isn't the most revolutionary thing you ever heard of?  Men have different length legs?  Who knew?  Are we supposed to lengthen/shorten womens' legs with weight gains and losses?  Well, darn, my genes must be missing something.

Maybe it's time for a fashion magazine and a TV show to get real and do some good.  (And add jobs for the economy just might happen as well.) 

• Love 15
30 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

But heavier people come in (at least) two sexes.  Let's be old fashioned and say male and female.  Men can still find tailors to make their suits fit them and flatter their shapes.  Men with narrow shoulders don't have to fit in shirts, suits, sweaters that make them look like Barney Fife (and there are a log of guys out there with that build).  What about hiding the extra pounds that men put on with time?  A good tailor can make them look so much better.  There are tailors out there who can handle, for men,  in many different ways and on different parts of their bodies

Even in jeans men get a huge assortment of waist sizes  and those sizes come with different pants lengths.  If that isn't the most revolutionary thing you ever heard of?  Men have different length legs?  Who knew?  Are we supposed to lengthen/shorten womens' legs with weight gains and losses?  Well, darn, my genes must be missing something.

Maybe it's time for a fashion magazine and a TV show to get real and do some good.  (And add jobs for the economy just might happen as well.) 

I work in an industry where men still wear suits a lot ....traditional suits fit most men but as younger guy (Millennials) but the slimmer cut suits the same problem woman have had for years...their bodies don't fit the style (and these are not heavy guys)  SO oddly the problem if real bodies is getting worse.  

The first couple months of Late Show the stylist had Colbert in suits that didn't seem to fit....I think they gave up.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Sprockets said:

I did mind it from the start because it seemed so odd.  The model's job is to display the clothes, not to interact.  It's not a job I ever wanted, but that's what it is.  I do not care what the model has to say.  

And it seemed really inappropriate to me that Aaron's model was just piling on while the judges were critiquing his outfit.  Yeah, it was hideous, but it wasn't her job to volunteer what had happened in the work room.  If I were one of the designers, I wouldn't want to work with her (although I realize they don't have a choice).

• Love 9
3 hours ago, SingleMaltBlonde said:

I work in an industry where men still wear suits a lot ....traditional suits fit most men but as younger guy (Millennials) but the slimmer cut suits the same problem woman have had for years...their bodies don't fit the style (and these are not heavy guys)  SO oddly the problem if real bodies is getting worse.  

The first couple months of Late Show the stylist had Colbert in suits that didn't seem to fit....I think they gave up.

Yes, it was really obvious that Colbert was uncomfortable in those shrunken suits. Reminds me of his cracks about his "child-bearing hips." But I also noticed a lot of the male guests on the show were shoe-horned into those tight tight suits, and they looked pretty uncomfortable as well. Made me smile a bit watching men being fashion victims. :-)

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, carrps said:

Yes, it was really obvious that Colbert was uncomfortable in those shrunken suits. Reminds me of his cracks about his "child-bearing hips." But I also noticed a lot of the male guests on the show were shoe-horned into those tight tight suits, and they looked pretty uncomfortable as well. Made me smile a bit watching men being fashion victims. :-)

Our  most frequent form of exercising is walking laps on the inside of an air-conditioned mall before the stores open.  We pass a couple of menswear stores, and I keep thinking that they put the mannequins in suits that were too small for them.  You're telling me they're SUPPOSED to look that way?

Living in AZ, we rarely see men in suits other than the groom and groomsmen in weddings, and we haven't been to one of those in a long time.  This "too-small" look is just dumb.  Are these then the same guys who go home, change into stuff that's 3 sizes too big, sag their over-sized shorts down to mid-butt and think that looks good, too?

• Love 8
On 9/14/2017 at 6:58 PM, Yokosmom said:

I didn't hate Brandon's look--I simply don't understand it at all. The judges should have also pointed out that he makes the same cropped top over and over again too.

It is starting to fascinate me that Brandon is breezing through this competition without having to actually fit a garment to a woman's body. The only fitted garment he's made so far is the little black dress under that unbuckled straitjacket he made a couple weeks ago, and that was for a "regular sized" model, and I don't think they gave us a good look at that one. In retrospect, I wonder why he was so stressed over Liris when he was working with her. But maybe that's when he figured out that he could make boxy, shapeless garments the whole time and avoid the challenge of a "real woman's" shape entirely.  I see what you're doing Brandon.

Ayana is starting to seem very one-note to me. Based on her portfolio and what we've seen on the show, everything she makes (except for the pajamas) is a variation on this basic fitted top and drapey bottom:

pr16-ai-pastwork-18.thumb.jpg.fa7b7bcb5f21dff79809a30d1a2a0e47.jpg

I understand the whole deal with Modesty requiring her to cover everything except the face, neck, and hands. However does it also require everything to be so plain? She never does anything really interesting with the bodice or sleeves. (unless she's making a dress out of trash.) Never makes a fitted pant. Seems like she only adds or removes tiers of fabric or changes the skirt into long flowy pants. Occasionally she uses a print.  It's just boring to me.

Also, I thought it was interesting that they reorganized the designers for this challenge to have the "good" designers on one side and the "evil" designers on the other. Why was this necessary? They weren't working in teams. If I were wearing my tinfoil hat right now, I'd suggest maybe it was done to separate Shawn and Claire.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 10
On 9/15/2017 at 7:08 PM, HunterHunted said:

Emilio's washer bikini was an unconventional materials challenge in a hardware store, which he did a crap job at estimating how much material he would need.

He did a majorly crap job of estimating given that he originally intended to make a dress.  He put serious spin on it (i.e. he lied) on the runway claiming that the bikini was intentional because he was daring to be different.

• Love 4

I think the reason that the show decided to incorporate the model feedback/interviews was to make sure that the designers weren't being assholes about their non size 00 bodies (as we have seen happen in previous seasons during the real women challenges).

And I did appreciate when one of the models said that this was the first week where she wasn't completely covered up because I feel like a lot of times, designers respond to the non-tiny models by creating a glorified caftan instead of figuring out how to flatter their body type. Despite the fact that their measurements are larger, this season's models are actual models (not random women who are appearing on the show for one challenge) so it's not like they have been given women with huge guts. 

So in theory I understand why the show is including these snippets. I think they could use the interviews a little more sparingly but I still theoretically appreciate that they're trying to make sure that the models aren't being looked down upon or made to feel bad about their bodies. Remembering some of the shitty interactions and comments from past real women challenges makes me glad that the models have the opportunity to be open if one of the designers is an ass. 

• Love 14
On 9/15/2017 at 7:11 AM, suzeecat said:

All the designers have been pretty much covered here, but has anyone else noticed there appears to have been a Swatch switch?

This week's Swatch appeared much thinner and YOUNGER ! ! ! !

Swatch, switched?!?! I did notice him bounding up the stairs in Mood with abandon. I'll have to keep my eyes tuned into the Swatch Conspiracy. (Hadn't Mood picked up another younger dog a couple of years ago?) 

On 9/15/2017 at 1:07 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

No idea what Descendants is (and don't want to know) but I guess not my assumption when I watched the episode, which is that it is a sequel to the George Clooney movie

LOL! I thought the same! 

• Love 5