Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E03: A Leap of Innovation!

Drogo
  • Start Topic

The designers are treated to a private screening of the film "Leap!" and a performance by Hiplet. They must draw inspiration for an innovative and edgy design in order to survive another week. Maddie Ziegler is a guest judge.

I'm glad the Twins were safe and the focus was on the other designers for the most part. This really seems to be a talented group!

There wasn't a clear winner, I would have been happy with any of the three. But there was definitely a clear loser. The judges agreed!!

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 6

Brandon is an adorkable, charming guy.  But I gotta say, I just don't care for his work, aesthetically.  His stuff so far seems overly fussy and complicated - particularly this week, with the overlong sleeves, the skin peeking out at the shoulder, the extra off-white panel in the back - the judges were raving about the back in particular, and I just don't see it.  It is definitely very interesting and creative work - straight fashion, for sure.  Just not my cuppa.

Definitely no arguments about the bottom 3, though - I can't remember the last time I've seen anything as eye-searingly ugly as Kudzanai's outfit.   I think even ChaCha would've taken a look at that and suggested he tone it down a few dozen notches.

Side note: I thought Amy's outfit was hella cool and I loved it, but I understand why she wasn't in the top 3 - it just didn't fit the dictates of the challenge as well as some of the other looks.

• Love 13

I really enjoyed this episode a lot. I liked Kentaro saying he's used to smaller models "so this should be fun for me" and then adding that he was a little scared. I loved Zen Brandon - "don't talk to me, I'm in the zone." And the way he saw the model had a boyish body and just knew what he should do. He's practical and I like that in a person. I also like someone who will just admit "I'm nervous" (or "I'm embarrassed" or whatever). So I like him (didn't really like his look though, guess it's editorial?). Isn't it funny how a guy with a bun who is unlikeable gets called "manbun" (thinking of Top Chef) but a guy with a bun who is likeable is called by his name?

I didn't like Margarita's at all. It looked just as costume as Deyonte's. Batani's was dramatic, but not actually very pretty.

Loved Ayana's full body shudder when she heard about Deyonte's finger. I did the same thing! And I laughed at Deyonte exclaiming "Doggone it!" when he was having trouble. Such a potty mouth! And heck, yeah, if I was on the bottom you bet I'd bring up the injury!

I don't remember Kudzanai's other looks and I really thought his look was a complete mess, so I can't disagree with the auf.

• Love 19
12 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I really enjoyed this episode a lot. I liked Kentaro saying he's used to smaller models "so this should be fun for me" and then adding that he was a little scared. I loved Zen Brandon - "don't talk to me, I'm in the zone." And the way he saw the model had a boyish body and just knew what he should do. He's practical and I like that in a person. I also like someone who will just admit "I'm nervous" (or "I'm embarrassed" or whatever). So I like him (didn't really like his look though, guess it's editorial?). Isn't it funny how a guy with a bun who is unlikeable gets called "manbun" (thinking of Top Chef) but a guy with a bun who is likeable is called by his name?

I didn't like Margarita's at all. It looked just as costume as Deyonte's. Batani's was dramatic, but not actually very pretty.

Loved Ayana's full body shudder when she heard about Deyonte's finger. I did the same thing! And I laughed at Deyonte exclaiming "Doggone it!" when he was having trouble. Such a potty mouth! And heck, yeah, if I was on the bottom you bet I'd bring up the injury!

I don't remember Kudzanai's other looks and I really thought his look was a complete mess, so I can't disagree with the auf.

Agree here. I actually thought Margarita's was in the bottom, although I knew none of the bottom looks could have been on top. But I thought it was too literal costume/dance outfit, just like Kentaro's. And also didn't care for Batani's, probably because I didn't like the print. Maybe with a different print I would have liked it more. 

• Love 12

I was underwhelmed by this challenge. Maybe I didn't understand what they were suppose to do, idk. 

I guess Brandon should stay zen or whatever because He won. I didn't see what was so great about it but the judges sure went gaga over it. 

I didn't like any of the bottom (or either of the top) designs but I agree with Kudzanai being auf'ed. 

Best line of the night goes to Tim telling Claire to cut down on the caffeine and Red Bull. I love Tim. 

• Love 14

I like everyone but the twins. The only things I like about the twins are the talking heads we get from the otherwise lovely designers snapping a bit. 

Brandon seems chill, and his humility is kinda sweet, but I just don't get the fuss over that winning look. It's possible I just don't get fashion  

Did Tim give Kudzanai any hint that his look was going to be a hot mess? 

On that Tim note, I'm gonna need a gif of him calling Swatch a baked potato. 

Edited by Mockingbird
  • Love 22

I don't get why Margarita chose white for her outfit, but maybe another color would have been too costumey.  The designers are using a lot of white this season.

Time looked the adorkable trying to dance with Heidi, like someone's elderly uncle at a wedding reception.

How did Shawn know how her model felt wearing her outfit?

So glad Kentaro was safe.  I like him.

Aaron reminds me of Weird Al Yankovic.

need Nina's top!

"Maximalist to the maximum" for the win!

Edited by magpye29
wasn't done commenting
  • Love 12

I wonder if the twins heard Heidi’s dance name as “Make It Twerk.” Because, like, they’re like totally millennial AF, and the millennials are all up in the #twerk you know right?

Aaron’s dancing is giving me serious Corky St. Clair vibes, which is a good thing . . . for me.

“This would have as much of a relevance in the fifteenth century as it would in 2500.” So nice that Tim Gunn is channeling a cross between Nostradamus and Stephanie Meyer.

Season 16 Tim Gunn: “Use the JC Penney accessory wall thoughtfully.” Season 1 Tim Gunn: “If the accessory wall were from JC Penney, I’d tell you to pee on it and then put it on Wendy Pepper’s station. And don’t defend the shoe.”

These model confessionals add so much to the show. I haven’t experienced such erudite profundity since the last time I read Bazooka Joe comics.

Margarita’s dress will be the perfect uniform for sex workers when Target finally opens its own ranch of ill repute in Nevada.

Unexpected Lengths will hopefully be the same of a tell-all behind the scenes documentary about illicit behavior by contestants when the cameras aren’t rolling.

I don’t know whether to be more surprised that the guest judge is incapable of using words with more than two syllables or that everyone is drooling over Margarita’s pirate slut Target employee Quinceañera afterparty creation.

One question that's been really eating at me since this season's premiere: Does one size fit all???

• Love 22

I Loved Kenya’s jumpsuit & jacket, I thought it should have won, but she wasn’t even in the top.

Deyonte’s dress was soooo short & it was a terrible fit.

I thought Margarita’s dress looked like a Flamenco costume, I didn’t like it at all.

Kudzanai, good lord, are you designing for Ronald McDonald’s sister? I have no problem with him being auf’ed.

Brandon’s dress was just ugly IMO, it looked like a trench coat that got caught in radiation & mutated, & I don’t see anything that look inspired by dance in it. I can’t believe it won.

1 hour ago, Aerobicidal said:

I don’t know whether to be more surprised that the guest judge is incapable of using words with more than two syllables or that everyone is drooling over Margarita’s pirate slut Target employee Quinceañera afterparty creation.

Maddie Ziegler is only 14 years old, why is she judging Project Runway?

Edited by GaT
  • Love 19
3 hours ago, DasFlavorPup said:

Brandon is an adorkable, charming guy.  But I gotta say, I just don't care for his work, aesthetically.  His stuff so far seems overly fussy and complicated - particularly this week, with the overlong sleeves, the skin peeking out at the shoulder, the extra off-white panel in the back - the judges were raving about the back in particular, and I just don't see it.  It is definitely very interesting and creative work - straight fashion, for sure.  Just not my cuppa.

All I saw was straitjacket. Or maybe chef's jacket. I sure as hell wouldn't want to dance in it, but all those eyelets would be handy for any number of meat thermometers. I'm clearly not his client, because I thought his first two looks were fairly rough, and this one was an unfinished assemblage of random features. Yay for construction, I guess.

I had high hopes for Kudzanai's core idea, but there's a reason that color hasn't been seen much in the last 35 years or so. I'm sure there's a way to translate Carnival to fashion, but the absolute keyword there is editing and he didn't even begin to scratch that surface.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Mrs. P. said:

The problem I had with Brandon's look is that nothing about it inspired a feeling of dance. It might have been interesting and was clearly well made, but I don't think it met the parameters of the challenge.

Zac said it make him want to dance, which....let's face it...was a bald-faced lie.

3 hours ago, Aerobicidal said:

I wonder if the twins heard Heidi’s dance name as “Make It Twerk.”

Isn't that what she meant? I thought she was making a pun!

1 hour ago, GaT said:

I Loved Kenya’s jumpsuit & jacket, I thought it should have won, but she wasn’t even in the top.

I expected to really hate that, but was surprised by how much I liked it. I thought it would be way too much of that pattern, but it worked. I was really confused by Amy's comment when they got back from mood when she said something about their garments next to each other. Then they showed two pieces of the same patterened fabric, one with a black background and one with the gray background. I thought Amy was saying they'd bought the same fabric but in different colors. But then it turned out it was all Kenya's fabric and the side-by-side was just once piece face up and the other piece face down. I was just confused by that whole thing. Maybe I should've been paying better attention. Admittedly, I was multi-tasking at the time.

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, sleepyjean said:

Zac said it make him want to dance, which....let's face it...was a bald-faced lie.

Total lie.

But wouldn't it be awesome if it made him dance like this?

34 minutes ago, sleepyjean said:

I expected to really hate that, but was surprised by how much I liked it. 

Me, too - and her matching of the pattern at the crotch appeared (in the brief time they showed the whole outfit) to be excellent, often the downfall of lesser hands.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 9

This episode was a lot better than the others so far, because I could fast forward through the unnecessary parts, like the models speaking. I also wasn't paying full attention, it's a great show to have on while doing chores. 

Did Nina, in a shirt that was completely encrusted with random crap, say something was too much? 

Margarita's dress. The top seemed...I can't imagine it comfortably fitting (or covering) a woman with even a slightly larger chest than the model. Seems like it'd need to be redesigned, so I was surprised it was a top look. I'm not a woman though, so I have no real Idea. It was nice, though, to only disagree with one of the top looks.  

• Love 6

I *?* you, film noire.

Between Deyonte's  barfy green "mullet" (tm  Zac) and Kudzanai's Dead Parrot in the Hoodie, I guess the worse got Aufed. Close call, though!

I like Brandon, but didn't see "movement/dance" in his outfit. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 11

I actually liked Margarita's look, but I agree about the rib cage.  I just thought the model had a weirdly huge rib cage, but maybe it was an illusion because of the tight top?

The auffing by Tim was awkward, no "I know we'll be seeing a lot more from you in the future" for Kudzanai, just buh-bye, see ya later.

• Love 11

Is it bad that I feel worse for the model going home then I do for Kudzanai going home. I guess they need to get rid of the other plus size next. 

I'm glad the other designers excepted Brandons Zen mood  and not talked shit about how rude he is. Like they have tried to paint people in the past. It's nice to have someone that's just keeps their head down and work. Not run around like chicken with their heads cut off. (Cough twins cough)

Kantaro (sp?) had me scared because I really like him. 

Oh poor Maddie you are so young. When she said she wasn't sure she was going to love Brandons looks all I could think is she is just agreeing with what the judges say and doesn't really like it. I did love her line about a young child wearing Kudzanai's look. It does seem like something a kid would do if they got to pick out their own outfit without any adult input. 

When Margarita was explaining her look to Tim I thought it sounded costumey and even after he changes it still did. It was an alright look but I don't think it was top 3.

I must say I loved Shawn's look. It was some super cute pajamas she sent down the runway.

• Love 6

At least the twins were kept to a small amount of screen time.  But can you imagine what being in the workroom with both of them must be like?  Indeed.

The two bottom dresses were both awful - Kudzanai and the yellow/green whatever it was one.   I figured Kudzanai would go home because Yellow/Green Dress Designer (sorry, still learning names) has had a win.   But they were both hideous.  I DO miss Michael Kors when this stuff comes down the runway.

I really thought (and wanted) Butterfly Dress  to win - I thought it was beautiful, and I could see it on the red carpet on any number of celebrities.   But I think the detail in Brandon's design gave him the win.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I *?* you, film noire.

Between Deyonte's  barfy green "mullet" (tm  Zac) and Kudzanai's Dead Parrot in the Hoodie, I guess the worse got Aufed. Close call, though!

I like Brandon, but didn't see "movement/dance" in his outfit. 

I guess it could be said that it was a shirt dress, and Tom Cruise danced in a shirt in Risky Business, so dance? But yeah, otherwise it didn't really scream dancing.

• Love 6

I loved Amy and Kenya's outfits and was sad that they weren't in the top 3--I'd place either of them and probably Anaya too over Margarita's dress.  It was good of the judges to tell the designers that there were actually many looks with high scores--that way, everyone who tromped back to the workroom could imagine that they were a hairsbreadth away from the top.

Not sure what Deyonte was thinking--that mustard color has never gotten a positive reaction on this show (fully expecting someone now to leap back to yesteryear and post a photo proving me wrong).  Even if he had a good design, the color would have been a distraction.  And the design itself didn't do his model any favors at all.  I was wondering if he was going to get the Tim Gunn save if he was aufed.

Speaking of distractions, loved all the snarky comments on the twins frantically racing around the workroom.  No wonder Brandon was trying to Zen out. Speaking of which, I didn't really get his outfit, but I am rather surprised and Pleased (as one of the twins would say) that he is still here.  When I heard that he'd never designed for women outside of a single class, I thought that he was a dead man walking, but he has managed to come up with decent outfits, even though a few weren't my cup of tea.  Perhaps being a men's designer is helping him in a way, because his previous experience hasn't been focused on size 0-2 models.  He just takes each body shape as he finds them.  Interesting to find an introvert on this show--normally casting weeds those folks out.

The aufed designer's outfit looked like something that would show up in a parade--too many garish colors.  Being inspired by your heritage is great, but adapting it to the competition can be tricky.  

Season 16 Tim Gunn: “Use the JC Penney accessory wall thoughtfully.” Season 1 Tim Gunn: “If the accessory wall were from JC Penney, I’d tell you to pee on it and then put it on Wendy Pepper’s station. And don’t defend the shoe.”

Yes, it is very sad.  Not dissing JC Penney--I shop there myself, but high fashion, it aint'  I know that this show stopped being a hot cultural thing years ago, but it apparently still get's decent ratings and has a devoted fanbase--I'm not sure why they can't get anyone above Avon and Penney's anymore.  I would think that a smaller, trendy, up and coming type of business would leap on the chance for some publicity.

• Love 13

I'm on the "I didn't 'get' Brandon's outfit" train.  Admittedly, for me - as a retiree in Arizona - dressing up means NOT wearing cropped pants and a t-shirt.  I am no fashion plate.  But I kept thinking Brandon's outfit was way too big on the model, so it was hanging weirdly.

I can't believe Kenya's outfit wasn't in the top 3.  Interesting design, beautifully sewn.

And the outfit that was auf'd . . . well, hubby and I LOL'ed over our morning coffee reading the faux Michael Kors description above by @film noire.  Spot on!

• Love 5
8 hours ago, GaT said:

Maddie Ziegler is only 14 years old, why is she judging Project Runway?

Because she was a voice in Leap and PR couldn't get Elle Fanning or Carly Rae Jepsen. And she's a dancer and that was the challenge. Didn't she judge on So You Think You Can Dance last summer?

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Bebecat said:

Ugh those twins survived. And their looks were so basic. I felt bad for the losing designer, thought the pea soup mess was worst. Surprised by winner but fine with it, thought butterfly would win.

I felt so bad for the losing designer also.   So, so bad.  And I didn't even know he existed until this episode.  The look on his face just seemed so demolished.  He said he was fine and he didn't take it personally, and yet I was destroyed anyway.  And Kentaro.  Oh god.  This show breaks my heart

• Love 13

This is the worst season of PR yet. Did you see Heidi laughing and smirking at one of the outfits? So, what are we supposed to do with that? Rude, yes, but it was calculated which is sooooo tacky. The whole season is tacky.

The twins another caluculated irritant.

The guy in the stinky looking dresses. Ugh.

The outfits are unforgettable because they were so awful.

I do love the fabrics they choose, though. It's just what becomes of it that is so disappointing. Like that neon green. 

I do like the way the twins dress themselves. What they wore in this episode was great. I wonder if they made them...

• Love 3

I liked Brandon's because it was actually designed. We don't get that a lot anymore on this show. It also referenced hip hop, from what he said, and I saw it. Hip hop can be a lot of things, but to me hip hop clothing is a combo of loose fitting items and tighter fitting items.

• Love 19
8 hours ago, film noire said:

"I know Carnival, and this ain't Carnival -- Carnival is exciting and sexy and the woman are FABULOUS -- this looks like your girl dressed for an eighties prime time soap opera episode - but not the regular kind, one of those gimmicky Knots Landing ratings grabbers? -- you know what I'm saying,  it takes place on Halloween, on a cruise, and she's Michelle Lee wearing a demented nursing look that makes the killer yenta set her up with Pennywise at the captain’s table -- and I don’t understand the zippers on the back—what, is it a high speed poop chute?  --  at least the feathers aren’t Tweety-sized, and that's a plus, but honestly, it's just so farty. This is about hiplet, not hip replacement-- who would  wear this other than Joan Crawford on a bender with a walker in a Ringling's Big Top while eating pink circus peanuts out of a monkey's hand?"

Dying! LOL! I miss Michael Kors so much...

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

So how is the model elimination working this season?  Is the model that's randomly paired with the losing designer auffed along with him/her?  I haven't figured it out. 

I am trying to figure that out myself.  This could end up poorly, very easily.

• Love 1

I still cant keep everyone straight so I don't know his name but I was completely bothered by the model dropping the Mexican designer's kimono jacket on the floor.  WTF?  Someone needs a runway lesson for removing jackets from Ms. Jay, stat.

Kenya's was fabulous.  I would've put her in the top and made Batani safe.  The butterfly dress was cute but i was underwhelmed--I think the fabric did all of the work.

Those twins running frantically throughout the workroom worked my last nerve and i only saw about 30 seconds of that shit---can't imagine having to coexist with that.  Doesn't Brandon's zen make them feel ridiculous?  And speaking of Brandon...

LOVED his!  I'm really interested in seeing more from him.  And his nervous humility?  Adorbs.  

If the midriff was slightly more covered, I would totally rock Margarita's. I like that she's repping her Puerto Rican roots and loved her styling.  I want to wear her ensemble on a weekend getaway to Havana and sip mojitos in all my fabulousness.

• Love 9

My biggest issue with the "anonymous judging" is that clearly it's not if the contestants are sitting directly across from the judges when their looks go down the runway and they are cheering for themselves.

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought Margarita's look was called back because she was on the bottom.

Shawn has no designing ability whatsoever. She sent a sweatsuit down the runway!!! And no, calling them joggers doesn't change the fact that they are just sweatpants.

When I recognized that the judge Maddie, was THAT Maddie from Dance Mom's. I stopped listening to anything she had to say about anything. 

• Love 4

My biggest issue with the "anonymous judging" is that clearly it's not if the contestants are sitting directly across from the judges when their looks go down the runway and they are cheering for themselves.

They're not. They do the runway part multiple times including once with just the judges there and again with just the contestants there.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

I actually liked Margarita's look, but I agree about the rib cage.  I just thought the model had a weirdly huge rib cage, but maybe it was an illusion because of the tight top?

The auffing by Tim was awkward, no "I know we'll be seeing a lot more from you in the future" for Kudzanai, just buh-bye, see ya later.

Margarita's - I kept looking at that poor girl and wondering if she was pregnant and then realizing that it couldn't be that and what part of her was sticking out and why. etc. etc. etc.  On the other hand, if she hadn't turned the shirt around, it would have been nothing but a costume.

I thought Savannah's deserved to be in the top - she had the leather skirt that opened on the sides with zippers.

Wasn't the model of the losing look the same one who modeled ChaCha's losing look?  Who are they getting rid of?  People who have booked other jobs?

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority, but I think Deyonte deserved the auf. As crazy and over the top as Kudzunai's outfit was, at least it had some sort of vision/point of view. Deyonte's was... just a tacky, horribly constructed, cheap-looking dress. I saw absolutely no "fashion" in that dress, and even though he won the first challenge, I don't really think he has much of a point of view. I was much more interested in seeing what Kudzunai had to offer. That said, I knew from the backstories they showed earlier in the episode that either Kudzunai or Kentaro was a goner, so I'm glad Kentaro at least was safe. I was surprised Aaron managed to evade the Bottom 3, but I guess the others were pretty bad.

I really don't know who I'd pick to win. As much as I (and all the models, apparently!) love Brandon, I agree with others that the praise felt a bit overblown. I actually did like his deconstructed shirt dress and think it showed some originality, but it wasn't as striking as the judges made it out to be and didn't seem like it met the parameters of the challenge. Batani's was striking, but a little tacky and - more importantly - felt much more like a costume than fashion. And I thought Margarita's was just ok - I think she did a good job of scaling back her original design (which was much more costumey), but I think it would have looked better if she kept the back as the front. I guess my favorites were Kenya, Amy, Samantha and (possibly) Michael. Of those, though, I only think Amy's and Samantha's had a dance theme (dance-wear and tutu, respectively). So maybe I would have kept Brandon in the top with Samantha and possibly Amy.

So far, my favorite designers (in terms of both design and personality) are Brandon, Kentaro and Kenya. I think Kentaro has good ideas, but really needs to amp things up. There's a way to do minimalist design that has more of an impact.

So how is the model elimination working this season?  Is the model that's randomly paired with the losing designer auffed along with him/her?  I haven't figured it out. 

I'm confused too. Chacha's model is still around, so doesn't look like the model paired with the aufed designer automatically goes.

Edited by sweetcookieface
  • Love 7