Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E03: A Leap of Innovation!

Drogo
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Unfortunately, I think there is a space issue. These stores have sooooo many rolls of fabric, so stacking them horizontally on shelves usually allows them to display and access the maximum number of rolls. But it is a bitch and tedious and time-consuming to pull each roll out to get a better look at the fabric. 

I'm sure their rent is outrageous.

• Love 3

Modest does not mean skin-tight tops that accentuate your breasts.

Why was Maddie Ziegler (sp) there? Because, of like, her years of, like, experience in the, like, fashion industry?

Batani, that was not belly dancing, that was knocking your knees together.

Can't remember the name of whoever said that black shorts and lace dress was ready to wear for class, but it's not. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Brookside said:

Well.....what qualifies as "modest dress" varies, whether referencing Islam, Christianity, Judaism, etc., depending upon the denomination/sect of the religion one is a member of, the country they live in, local standards, etc., and how each group interprets their holy text.

Technically speaking, the Quran only says a woman's breasts and lady bits must be covered (there is actually some dispute as to whether the Quran requires women's heads be covered, due to the wording). According to the letter of the law, Ayana's designs are modest. It appears, in looking at the designs Ayana has created thus far, she also interprets "modesty" as not revealing skin on the arms, legs, and torso.

Some might argue while Ayana's designs do cover the breasts and lady bits, and don't reveal skin, her designs don't follow the spirit of the law, because of the close fit of her garments.

To me, this is similar to how some Orthodox Jewish sects interpret Jewish modesty laws; women are required to keep their heads covered around all men to whom they are not closely related (their hair is their beauty, and for their husband's eyes only). Yet, many of the women who belong to these sects choose to cover their heads with wigs, generally human hair, in a color and style closely matching their own hair. Usually, these wigs are of such high quality, you would never know the woman is wearing one. Technically, their hair is covered, but many would argue wearing a wig that is virtually identical to their own hair violates the spirit, if not the letter, of the law.

There are Evangelical/Fundamentalist Christian groups (in this country) that interpret "modesty" in it's strictest sense; women must wear clothing that covers not only their breasts and lady bits, but also their torso/legs/arms/shoulders and neck. Clothing must be loose-fitting. Pants/shorts on women are not allowed.

Other Evangelical/Fundamentalist Christian groups allow more "mainstream" clothing for women, as long as the skirts aren't too short, or tops don't show cleavage.

The point is, among the various religious groups, even within the same religion, there is no single definition of what qualifies as "modest" all groups agree with or abide by.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
Added "torso" and "even within the same religion" for accuracy & clarification
  • Love 19
10 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

To me, this is similar to how some Orthodox Jewish sects interpret Jewish modesty laws; women are required to keep their heads covered around all men to whom they are not closely related (their hair is their beauty, and for their husband's eyes only). Yet, many of the women who belong to these sects choose to cover their heads with wigs, generally human hair, in a color and style closely matching their own hair. Usually, these wigs are of such high quality, you would never know the woman is wearing one. Technically, their hair is covered, but many would argue wearing a wig that is virtually identical to their own hair violates the spirit, if not the letter, of the law.

This only applies to married women, and given that it's common for Orthodox women to shave their heads after marriage to better accommodate the wig, it's more cultural practice  than Jewish law involved in many ways.  So yes, local interpretations.

I don't know.  I live near three large mosques and I see a wide variety of interpretations of modest dressing.  I see women in long loose dresses or pants and head coverings, once in a blue moon I see women in the more severe eyes-only-visible hijab, and most often, especially on young girls and young women I see them in skinny jeans and long-sleeved tops, often skin-tight.  Only the headscarves would let you know they're Muslim - sometimes the scarf covers the entire head and other times you can see the front of their hair.  The show hasn't told us even which form of Islam Ayana follows, so I assume we can see by her own clothing and the clothing she designs what her interpretation of modest dress involves.  She's certainly doing better than the last modest designer PR had, Nzinga back in season 13.    

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 3
On September 1, 2017 at 10:41 PM, mamadrama said:

I can't believe Claire wasn't in the bottom. Kentaro's might have been plain, but at least his fit. Claire's model looked like she had 6 boobs-including 2 in the back. 

pr16-ep3-cb-final.png

Agreed...this is hideously bad.

15 hours ago, Nancypants said:

I can we please talk about the  fact that Shawn sent beige sleep pants down the runway with last week's top? 

Are we stranded on a desert island?

Also, ugly as f*ck.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Brookside said:

Why was Maddie Ziegler (sp) there? Because, of like, her years of, like, experience in the, like, fashion industry?

Batani, that was not belly dancing, that was knocking your knees together.

Can't remember the name of whoever said that black shorts and lace dress was ready to wear for class, but it's not. 

Maddie Ziegler said that Kentauro's outfit was ready for class, meaning that it is ready to wear to ballet class.  Other than the top which was very beautiful and too large, everything else actually looked like something you'd wear:  close fitting shorts, tights, leg warmers, and a diaphanous skirt.  He took the challenge too literally.

What did Shawn actually dye with her vast buckets of dye.  Nothing that went down the runway looked like it needed to be dyed, she could have bought fabric that color at Mood.

• Love 1

Kentaro's outfit was very basic and literal, but there were others that should have been on the bottom instead of his <cough> indeed <cough>

i think it was on the bottom so Heidi could say how wonderful it was that the model's beautiful curves could be seen under the skirt. Gotta keep flogging the theme. 

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:09 AM, Kit Kat said:

...   But this episode is the first episode I've seen that I didn't really understand the challenge and I definitely didn't understand the way the designers interpreted the challenge and none of the designs made anything clearer to me. 

Agree.  About fifteen minutes before the runway, Kentaro tumbled to the "transformation" theme many of the others were promoting.  I thought, "Well, someone did a very poor job of defining the challenge."

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:01 PM, shksabelle said:

The writers just put some words together that would support the sponsor tie-in. I don't think the judges, Tim, the producers, or the designers really felt they had to commit to "dance, movement, and innovation."

But then there's this, too.  I guess the real answer was nailed by someone back on Page Two:  Weinstein Productions, Inc.

Last week I giggled when Nina was kvelling about the "perrrrrrfect fit"--as the camera panned over the garment's unfortunate belly-cupping and crotch wrinkles.

This week, there was a long cut-away shot to Tim nodding sagely while the judges raved about the puffy sleeves Margarita kept in her design--against Tim's advice.  Heeeeee, I see you, editors.  Keep it up!

I felt bad for the designers that they all got summoned back front & center to hear about the next challenge, told to go home and pack a little bag, head out to the Empire State Building.  One of them had even said, "I'm so ready to rest now and come back tomorrow for the next challenge."  He reminded me that they're all so sleep deprived and those precious few hours after the runway is their main chance to grab a little sleep.

Edited by candall
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

Shawn is so forward-thinking that she did the sleepwear challenge a week early is all... *eye roll*

Right?

Notice how the title of this challenge is a "Leap of Innovation!"(exclamation point)

Someone please tell me what's so damn Innovative and Exclamation Pointy about the Tan pants/ leg sleeves?   from Uncle Festa?

My monkey could do that shit and he is usually drunk.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, awaken said:

I also loved that Kudzani packed his tools into a gallon size Ziploc bag! Love that.   

Oh I had forgotten that. For some reason that was really funny.

Edited by rhys
Cuz Somme has to do with wine not sewing
16 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

So some Dance Moms reject bedazzles jackets and that qualifies her to be a "fashion designer"? This show gets more low rent each year.

I couldn't believe how overblown Heidi's introduction of that 14-year-old was. I'm pretty sure she said she was a dancer, actress, model, fashion designer AND *best selling author*.  It's so annoying how someone can get that many careers out of being on a reality show. I can believe she may be a talented dancer, which was the focus of the show she was originally on, but the fact that this somehow qualifies her to be all these other things at the age of 14 is just eye roll worthy.  As long as someone is pretty and catches the attention of the millennial (and younger) Instagram/Youtube set, they automatically get handed all these opportunities that they barely deserve. Sigh.

• Love 6

ON 9/4/2017 AT 10:56 PM, GREYBUNNY SAID:

So some Dance Moms reject bedazzles jackets and that qualifies her to be a "fashion designer"? This show gets more low rent each year.

I couldn't believe how overblown Heidi's introduction of that 14-year-old was. I'm pretty sure she said she was a dancer, actress, model, fashion designer AND *best selling author*.  It's so annoying how someone can get that many careers out of being on a reality show. I can believe she may be a talented dancer, which was the focus of the show she was originally on, but the fact that this somehow qualifies her to be all these other things at the age of 14 is just eye roll worthy.  As long as someone is pretty and catches the attention of the millennial (and younger) Instagram/Youtube set, they automatically get handed all these opportunities that they barely deserve. Sigh.

Agree with all of the above, and yet she did at least make some semi-intelligent comments on several of the outfits, which is more that can be said about some of the adult C level actresses and pop stars that they have had on the past several years.  She tried, at least.

I suppose that Heidi had to give her that introduction in an attempt to overcome the fact that the guest judge was just 14 years old.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Yokosmom said:

Agree with all of the above, and yet she did at least make some semi-intelligent comments on several of the outfits, which is more that can be said about some of the adult C level actresses and pop stars that they have had on the past several years.  She tried, at least.

I suppose that Heidi had to give her that introduction in an attempt to overcome the fact that the guest judge was just 14 years old.

I shuddered when she said she would wear Margarita's white dress. I realize she's worn a lot less in her dance costumes, but I have no interest in seeing a 14 year old trying to be sexy in a dress like that.

Edited by sleepyjean