Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E03: A Leap of Innovation!

Drogo
  • Start Topic

18 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Tom and Lorenzo's site has them lined up nice and neat:

TomandLorenzo

Thank you Nordly!  It was Samantha Rei's dress that I really liked and thought was at least as  dance-worthy as any of the others.  It's hard to see in that picture, but I thought that the close-up on the show really showed beautiful and complicated craftsmanship.  And her braided top last week was cool (despite twin whichever's disdainment for it).  I hope she starts getting some notice.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, jrlr said:

Is there a link to last night's designs?  There was someone in the middle whose design I loved, but I'm still not familiar with most of the designers by name.  

I so miss the days when Previously TV did recaps of most of the shows I watched, including Project Runway with pictures of all the final looks, like it was one stop shopping for my TV needs.  It's harder now to find what you asked for, but here's where I found it:  http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/pictures/season-16-episode-3-final-looks/pr16-ep3-am-final

• Love 14

When Batani (I can't get used to the pronunciation as Botany) said forget the model, she wanted her dress for herself, I flashed back to Austin Scarlett walking down the runway in the postal worker challenge.  I think it would be hysterical to have a design and walk for yourself runway challenge.

The twins continue to luck out by having someone else be just a teensy bit more aufable to the judges (not to me; they can both go now, sooner if possible).  That horrible red dress with the fabric pooping all over the poor model's boobs.  And sloppy sweats?  Really?  They wouldn't even sell those in JCP.  And I hate that they get so much air time that I have no problem identifying them and still don't remember many of the other sewtestants' names, faces, or designs.

• Love 8

I don't have a lot to say about any of the clothes on this episode, except this:  Aaron's...garment...was one of the ugliest things I've ever seen on this show and I can't believe Kentaro was on the bottom (only to get a light slap on the wrist) over that. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, mwell345 said:

At least the twins were kept to a small amount of screen time.  But can you imagine what being in the workroom with both of them must be like?  Indeed.

The two bottom dresses were both awful - Kudzanai and the yellow/green whatever it was one.   

I was really hoping Kudzanai would say at the end of his exit TH, "Well, at least I don't have to listen to the twins anymore."

• Love 8
20 hours ago, Kimmykun said:

Trajes de bomba are traditionally white. They can be other colors, but are almost always white. 

Thanks.  I should have known that--traditional Panamanian dancers wear white, too.

• Love 1

I still don't know everyone's name - but some how I know the twins!!!  Just like with my class of second graders you learn the names of those who annoy you the most!!  They are both so overly everything!! And I don't care for what they design either :(

I really liked Samantha's design and thought the one who had jumpsuit with the top that changes was kind of cool looking.  I thought one of them would have been in the top three as opposed to Margarita (whose dress I didn't hate, it was nice I think).

I thought Brandon's was different but as others have said, it didn't really say dance or movement to me.

The right person was sent home but I wished it had been one of the twins.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, joylove said:

I covered my eyes so I wouldn't be grossed out, but did one of the pins in Margarita's top stick her model in her lady parts so hard that she started bleeding? OUCH! I've seen models endure some painful things  on PR, but I can't think of anything worse than that!

I hope it was just editing, but Margarita didn't seem that concerned about her model and her pain. She was so focused on the blood possibly staining the white fabric. 

• Love 3

I say this every season, but, great googly moogly, Mood drives me nuts. I don't sew but I would maybe expect the store to be more organized. Those bolts of fabric need to be upright so the sewtestants & we viewers can see them better. 

Does the sewing room seem smaller this season? They look packed in there.

Kudzanadia (?) made the kitchen sink dress.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

I can't believe Claire wasn't in the bottom. Kentaro's might have been plain, but at least his fit. Claire's model looked like she had 6 boobs-including 2 in the back. 

pr16-ep3-cb-final.png

I had to look up "Claire."  I think I've suppressed the twins' names. 

I will admit I pretty much loathe the shoulder cutout trend so I was already biased against this. But this is a perfect example of why Brandon pleased me with his intentional avoidance of too much bulk on larger models. Unfitted garbage looks extra bad (imho) on bodies that aren't waif thin, getting proportionally worse as the measurements become further apart. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Tom and Lorenzo's site has them lined up nice and neat:

TomandLorenzo

Thank you for posting that link.  It wasn't until I looked at the designs again that I remembered that Brandon's design had a little black dress underneath the jacket. 

I think I liked Ayana's the best, and thought it should have been in the top three instead of Margarita's.  I like Brandon, but I am not the target market for his designs.  Heidi sure is smitten with him, though!

There were some awful things on the runway, and I'll put Claire's red jumpsuit thing among the worst.  That was neither innovative nor flattering.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, film noire said:

"I know Carnival, and this ain't Carnival -- Carnival is exciting and sexy and the woman are FABULOUS -- this looks like your girl dressed for an eighties prime time soap opera episode - but not the regular kind, one of those gimmicky Knots Landing ratings grabbers? -- you know what I'm saying,  it takes place on Halloween, on a cruise, and she's Michelle Lee wearing a demented nursing look that makes the killer yenta set her up with Pennywise at the captain’s table -- and I don’t understand the zippers on the back—what, is it a high speed poop chute?  --  at least the feathers aren’t Tweety-sized, and that's a plus, but honestly, it's just so farty. This is about hiplet, not hip replacement-- who would  wear this other than Joan Crawford on a bender with a walker in a Ringling's Big Top while eating pink circus peanuts out of a monkey's hand?"

This is outstanding.

• Love 4

A couple of thoughts:

Anaya- I think she does pretty things and she fills a niche that has been previously unfilled from many fronts. I called it back on the Road to the Runway episode that she would be kept long enough for she and Michael the sex fetish guy to be paired for the lingerie challenge. Looks like we're getting a sleepwear challenge instead next week- close enough.  Wonder if it will be teams and if they will be partners. Also, by giving her the win last week 1) gave her immunity to get thru to the sleepwear and 2) Marie Claire gets to be inclusive. They won't auf her in the sleepwear challenge- it would be too obvious.  She's good for another couple of weeks. I would love to see her do something in a yoga pant/long tshirt combo in a ridiculously luxurious fabric like a cashmere.

Deyonte- no way were they going to auf him after sewing thru his finger. And, they couldn't encourage anyone else to help him out with some of the finishing with the amount of twin-helping that's been going on. If the twin helping thing comes to light later, they can't have helping Deyonte hanging out there as well. At least on camera.

The Twins- if the TV gods are just, the one with hair and talent will get auf'd first and the shaved head one will have to function on her own. I didn't find no-hair's look to be horrible this week and the red thing by the other one was horrible but so was Kudzenai's. Either/or on that one for the bottom.

Kentaro and Amy- I like both of their styles and will enjoy seeing more.

Brandon- gonna win it.

Spitball spoiler:

Spoiler

That model Liris is amazing! They will structure this so she is the winning model. First, she's good. Second, Marie Claire gets to be inclusive. Look for the winner to be the one who gets Liris for the final challenge.

• Love 3

I have seen every episode of every season. (I've committed far too much time and money in this show to quit it now - no matter how many times I tell myself to.) I remember contestants from all seasons and have strong opinions on judge decisions made years ago. For instance, Kevin being auf'd in S4 for the prom dress episode when it was his first time in the bottom over Ricky, who had been in the bottom countless times, is one of them lol 

But this episode is the first episode I've seen that I didn't really understand the challenge and I definitely didn't understand the way the designers interpreted the challenge and none of the designs made anything clearer to me. 

• Love 4

Thanks for linking the outfits!  I actually really, really liked Aaron's!  I thought it was so innovative and unique, something I'd like to see at a runway show.

Project-Runway-Season-16-Episode-3-Runway-Looks-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-Podcast-Aaron.jpg

http://tomandlorenzo.com/2017/09/pop-style-opinionfest-shut-up-and-dance-9-1-2017-project-runway-season-16-episode-3/

Kentaro's looks really sexy here.  Of course, his model had an AMAZING body, but I want to give him credit to him for highlighting it so nicely as well.

Poor Kudzanai.  At least it was interesting.  I'm a big fan of colour so I really did not hate it.

Samantha's was just too 80's prom for me.  Also, I am not sure who Samantha is.

Next to these outfits Shawn's just looks so poor.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

Anybody else remember Tim's makeover show?  The first thing he and whoever his co-host du jour was would do was take the victim for a bra fitting. 
That should have been the first thing that Tim and an assistant would do for each of these models: get them fitted for a bra that fits.  For some of these "fashions"  the sloppy fronts would have been greatly improved by having two breasts, displayed proudly.   

As I look at these,  sloppy underwear would be almost impossible to build upon. 

• Love 6
22 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Kenya's been robbed three weeks in a row.  And now I'm starting to wonder why that is.

What's your theory?  I don't think she was robbed at all this week, I don't think her outfit fit the parameters of the challenge and the fabric was too heavy and kind of ugly actually.

12 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I can't believe Claire wasn't in the bottom. Kentaro's might have been plain, but at least his fit. Claire's model looked like she had 6 boobs-including 2 in the back. 

pr16-ep3-cb-final.png

I totally agree. I was listening to the afterbuzz podcast of this episode and they were absolutely enthralled with this look.  They couldn't believe how elegant it was.  I thought maybe I misremembered the dress, but these pictures confirm that it's as ass ugly as I thought.

• Love 4

Thanks for showing the photos of Claire's design.  I did not remember it being this bad because they barely showed it.  I think it's far worse than two of the bottom looks.  The twins are really not all that as designers even though Katy Perry did hire them a few years ago.

• Love 3

I thought Claire's fabric and her model were gorgeous. Claire's garment, however, looks like it's made with a stapler gun. 

I'm glad for the winning look though! I'm glad it isn't dancewear, and I did a happy jig to see it -kinda like Katy Perry on the red carpet at the VMAs- just YAY. ymmv

• Love 1
On 9/1/2017 at 2:40 AM, film noire said:

"I know Carnival, and this ain't Carnival -- Carnival is exciting and sexy and the woman are FABULOUS -- this looks like your girl dressed for an eighties prime time soap opera episode - but not the regular kind, one of those gimmicky Knots Landing ratings grabbers? -- you know what I'm saying,  it takes place on Halloween, on a cruise, and she's Michelle Lee wearing a demented nursing look that makes the killer yenta set her up with Pennywise at the captain’s table -- and I don’t understand the zippers on the back—what, is it a high speed poop chute?  --  at least the feathers aren’t Tweety-sized, and that's a plus, but honestly, it's just so farty. This is about hiplet, not hip replacement-- who would  wear this other than Joan Crawford on a bender with a walker in a Ringling's Big Top while eating pink circus peanuts out of a monkey's hand?"

Maybe...maybe it's supposed to be worn by one of the Peanuts characters to entice the Great Pumpkin to appear in the pumpkin patch.  Linus has forgotten this.  No wonder it's never appeared.  Maybe Sally will wear it for her "Sweet Baboo".  That being said, I'm going to kind of miss Kudzani.  

Deyonte's dress was poorly done besides being hid. e. ous.  

I hated Claire's as well.  I'm not fond of the color red and I thought it made her model look like she had extra wide hips.

Edited by sofaslug
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, sofaslug said:

Maybe...maybe it's supposed to be worn by one of the Peanuts characters to entice the Great Pumpkin to appear in the pumpkin patch.  Linus has forgotten this.  No wonder it's never appeared.  Maybe Sally will wear it for her "Sweet Baboo".  

LOL

That being said, I'm going to kind of miss Kudzani.  

I also liked his energy - and his previous work was much more accomplished, so it feels like all the disparate elements of the challenge  (innovation+dancing+ hiplet + movie) equaled confusion in his design. The top designers didn't try to hit all the marks (as people have already said, Brandon did not inspire dancing) and I wish Kudzanai had gone less Carnival, more ballerina- meets-hoodie. That was a very cool core idea.

• Love 4
On 9/1/2017 at 0:52 AM, phoenix780 said:

Did Nina, in a shirt that was completely encrusted with random crap, say something was too much? 

Indeed she did :)  and I LOL when she did.  She's made some really questionable choices in what she wears from what I've seen.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Kit Kat said:

I have seen every episode of every season. (I've committed far too much time and money in this show to quit it now - no matter how many times I tell myself to.) I remember contestants from all seasons and have strong opinions on judge decisions made years ago. For instance, Kevin being auf'd in S4 for the prom dress episode when it was his first time in the bottom over Ricky, who had been in the bottom countless times, is one of them lol 

But this episode is the first episode I've seen that I didn't really understand the challenge and I definitely didn't understand the way the designers interpreted the challenge and none of the designs made anything clearer to me. 

The writers just put some words together that would support the sponsor tie-in. I don't think the judges, Tim, the producers, or the designers really felt they had to commit to "dance, movement, and innovation."

• Love 2
On 9/1/2017 at 9:01 AM, Surrealist said:

Swatch lying over in a corner looking like he's dead is how I'm feeling so far this season.

Tim called him a baked potato, LOL. I live for the weekly Swatch cameo.

17 hours ago, izabella said:

I think I liked Ayana's the best, and thought it should have been in the top three instead of Margarita's.

I didn't like Ayana's. It reminded me way too much of the little ruffled coordinated outfits all the bratty little girls used to wear on Toddlers and Tiaras. And once I had that thought, I couldn't NOT see Ayana's as the grown up version of that.

ruffles.jpg.93ae0925a7ba94456f02464abc729936.jpg

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, sleepyjean said:

I didn't like Ayana's. It reminded me way too much of the little ruffled coordinated outfits all the bratty little girls used to wear on Toddlers and Tiaras. And once I had that thought, I couldn't NOT see Ayana's as the grown up version of that.

ruffles.jpg.93ae0925a7ba94456f02464abc729936.jpg

I don't even like dogs and I watch the Mood segment just for a glimpse of Swatch.

I liked Ayana's.  I thought the fabric was interesting.  The second outfit you show reminds me way more of Sandhya's little girl outfit that got her aufed.

• Love 4

The pins we could see on Margarita's outfit were taking the place of yet-to-be-sewn side seams, ergo alongside the model's hips and possible top of thighs.  They were probably all facing one direction, so it was easier to wiggle in safely than to wiggle out.  But I assume she was poked along her hips or thereabouts and not in her "lady parts."  Still not fun, and yeah, Margarita didn't seem to care as much about that as about the blood!  Hopefully she sympathized when she got back from dabbing off the fabric right away so it wouldn't set in.

I didn't care that much for Samantha's dress, but it seemed well made; and I am finding she's one of my favorite personalities so far.  Calm, supportive, helpful but not too much, but has pithy but not mean remarks.  

And I too liked Aaron's and am finding his viewpoint interesting.  I know he won't win, but I don't mind seeing more.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Kit Kat said:

I have seen every episode of every season. (I've committed far too much time and money in this show to quit it now

MONEY???? in what way? did you bet on it or something?

2 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

Yes, it's not an episode at all to me without Swatch.  At least SOMEBODY can be said to have unquestionably become a star because of this show.:)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ratgirlagogo said:

MONEY???? in what way? did you bet on it or something?

Yes, it's not an episode at all to me without Swatch.  At least SOMEBODY can be said to have unquestionably become a star because of this show.:)

I own seasons 1-8 on DVD and have actually bought way too many episodes on Amazon. All of season 9, 10, 12... it's a sickness. 

• Love 11

It's too bad Kudzanai went home, because his deadpan world-weary comments about the Manic Twins were hilarious and made my viewing night. Also when the critiques mentioned all the zippers on the back of Kudzanai's look, Tim shrugged "Why not?" Resigned to the hot mess that garment was.

Brandon is adorable.

Poor Deyonte. I know numerous people who have sewn through their fingers. He had to finish his garment without serious pain meds. I bet he didn't get much sleep.

I'm thankful for a range of models' sizes this season.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, shksabelle said:

The writers just put some words together that would support the sponsor tie-in. I don't think the judges, Tim, the producers, or the designers really felt they had to commit to "dance, movement, and innovation."

The film wasn't really that relevant to the tasks as even if it was dance it was unlikely to be about fashion innovation.  But as a challenge I thought it was otherwise reasonably clear if you just ignore the film.  Compare it to the sponsored yogurt task from a few years ago.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Nancypants said:

Was it Michael Lord who once said something looks Farty? What does that even mean?

I always thought it meant old and unfashionable (like an old fart, though I usually think of that as more of a male moniker), but with this only two posts down from a comment about Kudzanai's zippers, I got an immediate mental image of them blowing backward every time the model had an unfortunate gassy incident....

• Love 4
22 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

We were in New York in December, and I dragged my whole family to Mood so I could have my picture taken with Swatch. The were very good sports (as was he).

• Love 20
On 9/2/2017 at 0:04 AM, rhys said:

I say this every season, but, great googly moogly, Mood drives me nuts. I don't sew but I would maybe expect the store to be more organized. Those bolts of fabric need to be upright so the sewtestants & we viewers can see them better. 

Does the sewing room seem smaller this season? They look packed in there.

Kudzanadia (?) made the kitchen sink dress.

Unfortunately, I think there is a space issue. These stores have sooooo many rolls of fabric, so stacking them horizontally on shelves usually allows them to display and access the maximum number of rolls. But it is a bitch and tedious and time-consuming to pull each roll out to get a better look at the fabric. 

Have tried to watch this episode thrice now, and keep falling asleep pretty quickly after Tim calls Swatch a baked potato.

I'm not sure what this means, except that my Project Runway love is fading?

Saw the designs on Tom and Lorenzo's site - thanks thanks thanks to whomever linked it - and am finally able to offer an informed opinion, which hasn't changed much since last week, but here goes:

Thing 1 and Thing 2 still annoy the ever living daylights out of me. This group is not a bad group, design skills-wise, as some have been in the past, but I'm just not excited about any of them so far.

Don't care if Clone of Corny won the first challenge: that neon limon mullet dress was enough to send him home, although Kudzu's outfit was pretty bad. (Sorry I am so horrible with names this early in the season.)

Didn't like Brandon's at first until I looked at it more and more. Also appreciate his quiet, unassuming way. I have a few sort of favourites, but I'm withholding judgment until I see more...

????  Truly confused. Brandon's seemed like a big old nothing to me. Like a pile of random scraps. I didn't get the striking beauty or architecture the judges were gushing about. 

Why the black bra with the sheer chartreuse mullet dress, deyonte?

i really wanted to like Kud. That really was like a clown/piñata costume.  

I like margarita, and get the cultural reference, but that dress was unflattering and looked like a milkmaid costume.  I'm surprised it was well received! 

• Love 1