Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

The house, aside from that horrible kitchen... thing, is actually quite nice IMO. A lot brighter than the birthday picture made it seem. The furniture and decorations are rather dreadful but I can't blame a young couple for not having matchy matchy furniture. Personally, I'd have opened up the layout of the house a bit more  but it's a pretty decent starter house for couple where only one person is working. I can see why Joy is proud of it.

• Love 20
26 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I think the house is fine for a young couple and a baby or maybe even two.  Beyond that, Austin needs to redo a larger house.

I think Austyn brought this house in haste since he wanted to get laid and fast! 

• Love 1

I wondered if Joy catching her pregnant self on camera in the mirror was a FU internetz moment to end any rumors about giving birth early.

And I didn't mind the house as a whole but there is way too much crap lying around.

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

The house, aside from that horrible kitchen... thing, is actually quite nice IMO. A lot brighter than the birthday picture made it seem. The furniture and decorations are rather dreadful but I can't blame a young couple for not having matchy matchy furniture. Personally, I'd have opened up the layout of the house a bit more  but it's a pretty decent starter house for couple where only one person is working. I can see why Joy is proud of it.

I think it's as open as it can be with that many bathrooms(2) and bedrooms (3). That is what is taking up most of that space. The common space is tiny (as opposed to bed/baths). I'm not a fan of open floor plans unless the space is small like this house is. I thought the kitchen was nice, and the house looks much better than it did with holes in the wall. I would find a way to hide the electrical plan more if I was going to sell it. Then again it doesn't have a basement. I think I would have expanded the house beyond the original footprint especially since it seems to be on a slab, but it that would've taken too much time and money.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

I wouldn't buy it for myself, but I think it's a cute house, just boringly decorated. I can see them still living in it several kids down the line...Austyn seems to take frugality seriously enough that he'd be fine with cramped quarters, and Joy doesn't seem to care all that much. 

• Love 5

That house may still need some finishing touches, but footprint/size-wise, it is MORE than adequate for a new, young family. Three bedrooms is enough for Mom and Dad at least 4 kids - at least, my family somehow survived such "cramped" conditions when we were growing up. ;-)

• Love 14
22 minutes ago, MichaelaRae said:

That house may still need some finishing touches, but footprint/size-wise, it is MORE than adequate for a new, young family. Three bedrooms is enough for Mom and Dad at least 4 kids - at least, my family somehow survived such "cramped" conditions when we were growing up. ;-)

Yep. Bunkbeds were invented for a reason, plus it isn't like the Forsyth kids will need room for all their books and science experiments and academic trophies. 

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Yep. Bunkbeds were invented for a reason, plus it isn't like the Forsyth kids will need room for all their books and science experiments and academic trophies. 

They said on the show they would have their first child at the house but it was a flip house. They are planning on buying a bigger one after a year or two. I think they will end up buying a farm type house.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Ah. Ok. Understood.

It is a perfectly fine "starter home" for 2 people. Add a baby ... it's going to be way too small. But I applaud them for not living in one of JBoob's properties.

My husband and I share a 2 bed, 1 bath 800 square foot house with a toddler and a large dog. We get by just fine, although lack of storage is an issue. 

• Love 7

Austin made a dangerous mistake with the master bathroom he built.  He put the electrical outlets just inches away from the sink.  He should know better than that!  And, I hope the house has time to recover from paint fumes and construction dust before the baby is born.  It's difficult to air the house out in the dead of winter.

Joy house.png

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Austin made a dangerous mistake with the master bathroom he built.  He put the electrical outlets just inches away from the sink.  He should know better than that!  And, I hope the house has time to recover from paint fumes and construction dust before the baby is born.  It's difficult to air the house out in the dead of winter.

Joy house.png

I wonder what code is there and did they have proper building permits and inspections.  Or is there a way around that in the rural areas.  Don't know. Just asking.  We have plugs above our sinks but they are about a foot up.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Looks like a GFCI outlet. They are appropriate for wet locations. 

But I still would want it at least higher. Especially if their children, or the next buyer’s children, will be in the room.

Edited by Love2dance
Grammar
  • Love 1

I thought it was interesting...the duggar family fan blog posted this, and everyone was saying that it was 20 degrees in Arkansas yesterday, and pointing out that joy was wearing a t-shirt and short skirt. Could she have taken this a while back, and is just now posting it because if her belly? Hmmm...

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 8
18 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I thought it was interesting...the duggar family fan blog posted this, and everyone was saying that it was 20 degrees in Arkansas yesterday, and pointing out that joy was wearing a t-shirt and short skirt. Could she have taken this a while back, and is just now posting it because if her belly? Hmmm...

The conspiracy plot thickens!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, FakeJoshDuggar said:

They’re sleeping on mattresses on the floor. That’s going to be a bitch for Joyless to get up and down when’s she’s further along. 

To my eye, the bed in the master bedroom looked like it was at a normal height when compared to the nightstand. Anyone care to check again? I've already watched that stupid video an embarrassing number of times.

I guess I need to explain to poor, dear, dumb Joy what a "laundry room" is.  What you have there is a laundry closet, sweetie.  There's no shame in it--my starter home had the washer and dryer in the kitchen, for pity's sake--but you'll be a happy gal when you graduate to a house with a sho-nuff laundry room.

In related news,  that is a dining AREA, not a dining room. You know what? This probably wasn't covered in your SOTDRT vocabulary curriculum, so I'll just put the Learner's Dictionary definition right here for you to study:

room [noun] : a part of the inside of a building that is divided from other areas by walls and a door and that has its own floor and ceiling

• Love 16

I would actually love to have that kitchen.  My house is pretty small (2 bed but full basement) but even I'm not lucky enough to have a master bedroom bathroom. 

But they need to go find the nearest IKEA and go get some bed frames.

Edited by gunderda
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Heathen said:

That video gave me motion sickness. 

The kitchen reminds me of my uncle, who put a $12,000 kitchen in a house with a leaky roof and forty-year-old carpet. 

Yeah. I could NOT watch that thing since it was making me sick.  I also could not see details because she was moving too fast.  One thing I did notice was how dirty their front door was.  That's all I got.

• Love 5
On 1/15/2018 at 7:08 PM, cdp73 said:

Is Joy smart enough to know the word "sacrificial" or even how to spell it?  I don't think she wrote the post.  And, he looks like a cross between a frat boy and a chimp.

Austin has the dashing good looks of a young George W. Bush.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Portia said:

To my eye, the bed in the master bedroom looked like it was at a normal height when compared to the nightstand. Anyone care to check again? I've already watched that stupid video an embarrassing number of times.

I guess I need to explain to poor, dear, dumb Joy what a "laundry room" is.  What you have there is a laundry closet, sweetie.  There's no shame in it--my starter home had the washer and dryer in the kitchen, for pity's sake--but you'll be a happy gal when you graduate to a house with a sho-nuff laundry room.

In related news,  that is a dining AREA, not a dining room. You know what? This probably wasn't covered in your SOTDRT vocabulary curriculum, so I'll just put the Learner's Dictionary definition right here for you to study:

room [noun] : a part of the inside of a building that is divided from other areas by walls and a door and that has its own floor and ceiling

It’s definitely a mattress and box springs.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Portia said:

I thought the same thing about the "laundry room."  Her "pantry" looks like an open book case to me, but since I doubt they'll be needing it for books I guess it works fine for storing canned goods and cereal boxes.  

I think their bed is just a mattress and box spring.  She's going to be a hurting unit getting in and out of that if she has a c-sect. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Portia said:

There's no shame in it--my starter home had the washer and dryer in the kitchen, for pity's sake--but you'll be a happy gal when you graduate to a house with a sho-nuff laundry room.

My first marital home had the washer and dryer three miles away at my parents’ house. ? A laundry closet would have been awesome! Laundry in the kitchen would have been awesome! 

I mean, eventually we did trade up, but I guess I don’t have much room to snark over young couples starting out.

Edited by Genevrier
  • Love 18

My first apartment didn't have a washer/dryer either. I had to spend all afternoon Sunday at the laundromat, where this CREEEEEEPY guy worked who would always hit on me. I would bring homework, but it didn't deter him. I was never as happy as the day I moved into an apartment with a washer/dryer!

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Having just had a baby two weeks ago, let me say that all those hormones and the extra fluid keeps you permanently hot when pregnant (or at least it did me, both times). I spent all my time at home in a t shirt and leggings and didn't wear any jacket heavier than fleece outside even in teens/twenty degree weather. So I can see her wearing light clothes inside in the winter even in super cold weather. 

• Love 8

I had a washer in my first apartment. My father put a hose on it like a portable dishwasher has and it was in the kitchen. Knowing portable dishwashers makes me feel old but they are still out there!

It looked like there may have been more space in Joy’s laundry area, she didn’t venture down the hall far enough to see.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Portia said:

I don't necessarily think of a dining room as  a formal dining room with fancy moulding, chairs, etc. I live in an area where a lot of people do not have formal dining rooms. What most people do have is a designated space for eating, usually off the kitchen, that is big enough to fit a traditionally-sized dining room table. Since housing is expensive in my area and most people do not use formal dining rooms frequently, it does not make sense for most people to have one if they are trying to maximize their use of space. When I think of a dining room, it is much more loosely—I just think of a place where the table and some chairs go that is used for eating. 

• Love 7

The house is the only thing I can’t snark on with them. We lived with our baby in a small two bedroom, one bath, no laundry apartment. I was happy as a clam because I loved my life. It was more than 30 years ago, and we upgraded not too long after, then downgraded now for retirement, but they were some of the happiest days of my life. The saving grace here is that Austin seems to be on a career path of flipping and can easily do it for himself in the future. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, CatS said:

Having just had a baby two weeks ago, let me say that all those hormones and the extra fluid keeps you permanently hot when pregnant (or at least it did me, both times). 

Awww. Congratulations, @CatS. Hope you are enjoying this special time and getting some sleep.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I wonder what code is there and did they have proper building permits and inspections.  Or is there a way around that in the rural areas.  Don't know. Just asking.  We have plugs above our sinks but they are about a foot up.

In my county in California, you must have GFI plugs by any sink, or any other water area.  It did look to me like the plug in this picture is GFI.

• Love 2
On 1/18/2018 at 5:13 PM, ginger90 said:

I had a washer in my first apartment. My father put a hose on it like a portable dishwasher has and it was in the kitchen. Knowing portable dishwashers makes me feel old but they are still out there!

I have been the owner of a portable dishwasher in this century! The kitchen of my previous house had no built-in dishwasher but tons of room, so we put in a portable one.  It was actually quite a nice machine--better than my current one.

On 1/18/2018 at 5:26 PM, SnarkyShark said:

I don't necessarily think of a dining room as  a formal dining room with fancy moulding, chairs, etc. I live in an area where a lot of people do not have formal dining rooms. What most people do have is a designated space for eating, usually off the kitchen, that is big enough to fit a traditionally-sized dining room table. Since housing is expensive in my area and most people do not use formal dining rooms frequently, it does not make sense for most people to have one if they are trying to maximize their use of space. When I think of a dining room, it is much more loosely—I just think of a place where the table and some chairs go that is used for eating. 

For the record, I didn't say anything about formality.  There is nothing fancy about my house, but I do consider my dining room a dining room because it happens to be a separate room. In my previous houses I've had a kitchen-adjacent dining area, and to me if felt appropriate to call that a dining area. I'm not sure why I was snarking on poor dumb Joy, but it just struck me funny when she was calling that tiny area a dining room when it doesn't look to me like it would accommodate a standard dining table.  My snark was aimed at what struck me as over-aggrandizing--or maybe just imprecise--use of language . . . not at the house itself. I would have killed for a house that cute when I was starting out, and believe me, my current home is no palace. 

Edited by Portia
how did I miss that typo?
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, CatS said:

Having just had a baby two weeks ago, let me say that all those hormones and the extra fluid keeps you permanently hot when pregnant (or at least it did me, both times). I spent all my time at home in a t shirt and leggings and didn't wear any jacket heavier than fleece outside even in teens/twenty degree weather. So I can see her wearing light clothes inside in the winter even in super cold weather. 

Congratulations!!

Topic: The house seems an adequate size. I think most Americans tend to want LOTS AND LOTS of space. So long as they keep organized & keep the 'stuff' to a minimum, they'll be fine.

• Love 7
On 1/17/2018 at 4:56 PM, Heathen said:

That video gave me motion sickness. 

The kitchen reminds me of my uncle, who put a $12,000 kitchen in a house with a leaky roof and forty-year-old carpet. 

Oh god....STOP WITH THE SHIPLAP!!! That house gives me anxiety...there is so much mess around. I know they are working on it but damn that stuff sitting around 

Joy sounds like a young teenager...oh wait.

• Love 6

If I was that pregnant and my house looked like that, I would be freaking out. There’s crap everywhere!  It makes me twitchy. At its not like it’s going to get easier to get finished when the baby arrives.  

• Love 4

Joy's video of her home was done with the same interest and care that she shopped for her wedding dress and chose a wedding cake.

This girl has a strange personality IMO. She also doesn't seem to have any patience for anything. How is she going to endure labor? Labor takes the time it needs and Joy's going to have to go with it. She's impatient and can't seem to make a decision. Her house is "all Austin". Doesn't seem like a female lives there. More like a very nice 'hunting cabin' to me. I agree that all that crap over there has to before a baby is present. It will be harder to complete the house. No where to sit other than mattresses on the floor and a small chair that goes with a small table.

• Love 6

It's a cute house.  I grew up in a two bedroom, one bath house (and my mom continued to live there until last year).  Luckily I was an only child, but when I moved out on my own, I loved extra closet space.  Now I live in a two bedroom, two bath condo.  Still not large, but since it's just me, it OK (even though I still wish I had more storage space).  

My biggest worry with the Joy/Austin house is all the stuff laying around, especially in the nursery.  Hopefully, they will get things cleaned up before bringing the baby home. I can picture myself walking a baby around and tripping over crap on the floor. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

My biggest worry with the Joy/Austin house is all the stuff laying around, especially in the nursery.  Hopefully, they will get things cleaned up before bringing the baby home. I can picture myself walking a baby around and tripping over crap on the floor. 

I can picture Jana being the one cleaning it up. Let’s get real, people.

• Love 9
16 hours ago, Kbo said:

If I was that pregnant and my house looked like that, I would be freaking out. There’s crap everywhere!  It makes me twitchy. At its not like it’s going to get easier to get finished when the baby arrives.  

It will be easier, once the baby is born he/she can be handed off to Jana McPhee over at the TTH.

• Love 5

That will be part of the "Joy's New Blessing" VSE...Joy's in labor and heading to the blessed mold house, home of least botched births. She'll be home with her 12 pound preemie in 3.2 hours and there's so much work left to do!!! Cue Duggar hoard and their precious church friends!!! Will they get it all done in time?!?! Oh the excitement and suspense!!! Spoiler alert...it will get done, complete with lime green crepe paper streamers and a hand painted by Josie (possibly with paint...maybe with her dinner) giant welcome home banner, just in time for Jim Bob to tear into the yard, horn blaring, to announce his arrival...oh yeah, and Joy and baby in the back seat.

• Love 18

It’s a nice house for newlyweds. It just needs the clutter cleaned up!  Get a shed and put all the paint/construction stuff in it. Then, put some shelving in the 3rd bedroom, and use it for storage right now. They’ve got at least a year before Blessing #2. 

Also, I’m not sure how to best arrange the front room, so it flows better.  They should have moved the kitchen to the dining area and put the back doors on the other side. Then, they’d have the living area stretch from the front of the house to the back. I have no idea if that was feasible, however. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, irisheyes said:

Also, I’m not sure how to best arrange the front room, so it flows better.  They should have moved the kitchen to the dining area and put the back doors on the other side. Then, they’d have the living area stretch from the front of the house to the back. I have no idea if that was feasible, however. 

That actually would've been a smart idea, if feasible. As it stands now, the front door cuts their living area in half, so anybody sitting on the couches is squished into a tiny corner. 

• Love 1

Did anyone else read the article on OK! magazine's website? Jeremy's church (bio) reveals Jingers due date of July 2018. Joy said their babies will be 6 months apart. Joy thinks she is delivering in late February or early March, so even if Jinger goes late into early August that's cutting 6 months awful close. Maybe she just couldn't do math? Or conception of her baby was pre-wedding?

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, Farmfam said:

Did anyone else read the article on OK! magazine's website? Jeremy's church (bio) reveals Jingers due date of July 2018. Joy said their babies will be 6 months apart. Joy thinks she is delivering in late February or early March, so even if Jinger goes late into early August that's cutting 6 months awful close. Maybe she just couldn't do math? Or conception of her baby was pre-wedding?

I posted the direct link to the church site the other day. I imagine OK! saw it and ran with it. The bio erroneously said that JinJer were married 11/17. That would have necessitated a shotgun wedding with the July due date. ????

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1