Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

Screenshot_20180115-201313.thumb.jpg.7db6c6499c55a05f6fd378ecfbc07077.jpg26756330_1195820353884945_1684351777407006242_o.thumb.jpg.79c8dd905b7dd841010c775934cd20b1.jpg

JDs very sad bday party. Is this the best picture you could get of the "party"? Why are JD and and Austin holding a bottle of noromycin, cattle antibiotics?!

I posted this here because it looks like Austin did manage to finish the house before Joy popped. 

• Love 10
31 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Screenshot_20180115-201313.thumb.jpg.7db6c6499c55a05f6fd378ecfbc07077.jpg26756330_1195820353884945_1684351777407006242_o.thumb.jpg.79c8dd905b7dd841010c775934cd20b1.jpg

JDs very sad bday party. Is this the best picture you could get of the "party"? Why are JD and and Austin holding a bottle of noromycin, cattle antibiotics?!

I posted this here because it looks like Austin did manage to finish the house before Joy popped. 

That is one sad-looking little house. Get some cheap artwork and cover the fuse box, at least. And spread out the curtains so they don't look so half-assed over the windows. 

Check out the look on Derelict's face. He's trying so hard to see what Joe is doing on his phone. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

The bar is unbelievably low, and I think that, while part of their blathering about their wonderful husbands is made-for-Teevee Gothardspeak, some of it is genuine and they really are amazed, shocked, and touched when some guy brings them a carton of yogurt..... I mean, I don't think their brothers ever bring them cartons of yogurt either. They're not used to males doing anything at all in the caregiving realm. And I mean not anything. 

Yeah, it’s really low.  Remember, Jim Boob, you’re supposed to love your wife as Christ loved His bride (the church), not letting your wife suffer labor pains while you wait for her or Jana to make you eggs and bacon before she gets to leave for the hospital.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, momma2seven said:

Who is random not-Izzy boy child? 

Kendra's brother?

Those curtains are so dark and dreary. It looks like they're usually pulled back and they close them for evening privacy. Not that I like Erin Bates' style but Joy could use her help or by next year we're going to see a fish and deer head on the walls.

• Love 2

Joy’s post sounds like a sappy social media apology for something that occurred privately. A lovers spat perhaps. I have a few friends who do this. You’re calling me to say he just stormed off in a huff, but you’re showing Facebook a photo of the flowers he just so lovingly bought you. Gag.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Sacrificial, Christ-like love? FFS that's disturbing.

Unless Austin built a cross, hung himself upon it, died for the redemption of humankind, and was resurrected, Joy needs to dial it back just a little. Jesus would not approve of the hyperbole. 

• Love 18

Austin's forehead looks just like our 14 year old boy foster child at the moment. The kid LIVES in a baseball hat. It causes acne and lines on his forehead where the hat sits. Poor guy won't take it off. Ever. The only time we can get him to remove it is at the dinner table or if we eat at a restaurant. He has fallen asleep in it more than once. It was the last thing his mother gave him before she died of cancer.

If that is the house that Austin and Joy bought and refinished ... it's awful. Why is the fusebox like that? And why are the windows so uneven? It doesn't advertise well for him as a house-flipper if his own house looks like an omelet that you try to flip and half of it lands outside the pan.

• Love 14

So that picture of Austin makes me want to kick him in the throat. And Joy wth has Austin done that is so remarkable, more remarkable than any other partner alive? Most women throw out a "thanks so much for your patience, I'm a fat blob, I promise at some point we will have sex again." 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Heathen said:

That is one sad-looking little house. Get some cheap artwork and cover the fuse box, at least. And spread out the curtains so they don't look so half-assed over the windows. 

Check out the look on Derelict's face. He's trying so hard to see what Joe is doing on his phone. 

Maybe JD is trying to figure out how to inject himself with the antibiotic to put himself out his misery. I want to sneak him out of there and show him what a normal single 28 year old guy does on his birthday.  Derick....hey jackass, snitches wind up in ditches. Jill....wth is wrong with you?

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

Maybe JD is trying to figure out how to inject himself with the antibiotic to put himself out his misery. I want to sneak him out of there and show him what a normal single 28 year old guy does on his birthday.  Derick....hey jackass, snitches wind up in ditches. Jill....wth is wrong with you?

I think Jill's in the middle of some kinda crisis.  She isn't at the point of lying in a fetal position and eating her own hair, but she is at the point where bright flashes of camera light startle her enough to grin and squeal and try to make her eyebrows disappear into her hairline. 

It's awful of me to feel this way, but I felt absolutely NO JOY when Joy and Jinger announced their pregnancies. I just felt sad. I desperately wanted Jinger to keep enjoying being a newlywed and her freedom before having a kid. And I wanted Joy --- you know --- to actually grow up first. :(

• Love 18
16 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

Doesn't John David have any friends to hang out with on his birthday?  How sad.

• Love 5

Or maybe the discussion with JD and Austin went something like this.....

Austin: Dude, I thought you said you were ordering something from a pharmacy in Mexico to make us forget the hell we live in.

JD: Yeah I thought I was getting some xanax as well. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Kendra's brother?

Those curtains are so dark and dreary. It looks like they're usually pulled back and they close them for evening privacy. Not that I like Erin Bates' style but Joy could use her help or by next year we're going to see a fish and deer head on the walls.

Erin has a tendency to overdo the kitsch, but yeah, at least her house has life and warmth to it. Joy's place looks like a bachelor pad. Also, what is it with these people always having their windows blocked out and covered? That would make me so claustrophobic. 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, IntoTheMystic said:

I think Jill's in the middle of some kinda crisis.  She isn't at the point of lying in a fetal position and eating her own hair, but she is at the point where bright flashes of camera light startle her enough to grin and squeal and try to make her eyebrows disappear into her hairline. 

It's awful of me to feel this way, but I felt absolutely NO JOY when Joy and Jinger announced their pregnancies. I just felt sad. I desperately wanted Jinger to keep enjoying being a newlywed and her freedom before having a kid. And I wanted Joy --- you know --- to actually grow up first. :(

I wasn't happy, but neither was I surprised to hear of Joy's pregnancy. I was, however, not disappointed at all to hear of Jinger's. They seem to have really enjoyed their first year (and a little bit) together as a couple, and their ages and situation are not out of place for a couple having their first baby. I don't think it necessarily takes away from who they are to add a baby to the mix. I speak as someone who, for reasons entirely un-connected to religion (I'd never really been much of a believer and was probably pretty much an atheist by then), ended up losing my virginity at 25 to practically the first guy I dated (definitely the first guy I went out with more than three times), was married and pregnant a year later, and proceeded to have two more children in the next four years. I'm perfectly happy with the way that schedule worked out for us.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, charmed1 said:

Joy’s post sounds like a sappy social media apology for something that occurred privately. A lovers spat perhaps. I have a few friends who do this. You’re calling me to say he just stormed off in a huff, but you’re showing Facebook a photo of the flowers he just so lovingly bought you. Gag.

One of the reasons I hate Facebook.  It's so phony and stagey.  

Poor Joy.  She'll probably be on her seventh pregnancy at the age I was with my first (only.)  

• Love 8

How can you tell this is a birthday celebration?

Where is Josie sticking her licked fingers into a cake or hastily made banner thrown up on the wall?

Looks like they are trying to figure out the dosage of pharmaceuticals bought south of the border to inject into JD to battle his depression.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, IntoTheMystic said:

Austin's forehead looks just like our 14 year old boy foster child at the moment. The kid LIVES in a baseball hat. It causes acne and lines on his forehead where the hat sits. Poor guy won't take it off. Ever. The only time we can get him to remove it is at the dinner table or if we eat at a restaurant. He has fallen asleep in it more than once. It was the last thing his mother gave him before she died of cancer.

If that is the house that Austin and Joy bought and refinished ... it's awful. Why is the fusebox like that? And why are the windows so uneven? It doesn't advertise well for him as a house-flipper if his own house looks like an omelet that you try to flip and half of it lands outside the pan.

I hate it when that happens!  The omelet thing.

Mr. Xword never goes anywhere without a hat.  We're old, but I don't remember it causing him pimples when we were young.  I guess it depends on the person.

I agree about the house.  Visible fuse box isn't attractive, and I'd probably hang a picture over it or something.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, IntoTheMystic said:

Joy wasn't even happy on her wedding day. I can't imagine how she feels that she got pregnant on her wedding night. If she would have been allowed to go to college she would certainly be out having fun with friends and not having to worry about being saddled with a baby at 19.

Marjorie 1 Joyless 0

• Love 4

Joy can't even make a simple decision over how to wear her hair, her wedding dress, when to wash her feet, etc., much less deciding on how to decorate her dreary looks like a government office, I mean her home. 

• Love 2

If an average sized horse gets this much injected then how much would JD get?

I think it is a ratio...Joe, check your phone to see if there is an app for ratios......

I think Jill got too much...look at her...looks like someone stuck a happy stick up her butt...need to go a smidge less .....

• Love 4
On 1/11/2018 at 8:25 PM, riverblue22 said:

Maybe baby showers are more fun for the attendees who have an excuse to buy baby stuff.  At work we always have baby showers for the royals and I guess we will be having a third (all of the loot goes to the family shelter).

I used to really loathe work baby showers.  I work with all childfree people now (not sure how that happened) so its never an issue these days.  But what I didn't like about them was I never knew the women well, it was expected you attended (not outright said but you know how offices are), I didn't have a ton of money, and no one was giving me a goddam party when I adopted new kitties (a joke!).  

Your work baby showers seem more fun and truly helpful.  I would be down with that.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Erin has a tendency to overdo the kitsch, but yeah, at least her house has life and warmth to it. Joy's place looks like a bachelor pad. Also, what is it with these people always having their windows blocked out and covered? That would make me so claustrophobic. 

Well, I really hate to be practical but that type of curtain can be a great sun blocker in the summer, and cold blocker in the winter.  Maybe they don't have blinds and simply draw the curtains in the evening as many close their blinds?  When my mom lived in Arkansas I don't remember her curtains ever being completely open.  It's simply too hot in the summer to keep them open, and either it's habit by winter, or you're using the curtains to help block any drafts.

Personally, I don't see a problem with how the house is decorated.  It looks like the home of practical people living within their means and not trying to be social media stars.  It's one of the most normal things I've ever seen in this family, and a very typical look for a blue collar couple in Arkansas.  It's surely much better than what my own Arkansan cousins had when they were first married.  Maybe Austin and Joy are the only Duggar couple who realize the dog and pony show is going to end some day, so they economize.  But I would be in hell with Erin's child-like decorating style.  I can't stand kitsch because it makes dusting that much harder, and it's crap that you have to move out of the way if you want to vacuum properly.

I have claustrophobia so I sympathize with the feeling.  I would probably be claustrophobic at the number of the people stuffed into the room.

5 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

How can you tell this is a birthday celebration?

Where is Josie sticking her licked fingers into a cake or hastily made banner thrown up on the wall?

Looks like they are trying to figure out the dosage of pharmaceuticals bought south of the border to inject into JD to battle his depression.

I think the birthday gift was the absence of precious miracle.  

• Love 16
27 minutes ago, McManda said:

Fixed that for you.

You think he would have friends from being a volunteer constable, his construction and towing business, or being a pilot. Maybe he is not allowed to have outside of his family or family friends. I mean he cannot have a evil heathen tempt him away from his family.

15 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

You think he would have friends from being a volunteer constable, his construction and towing business, or being a pilot. Maybe he is not allowed to have outside of his family or family friends. I mean he cannot have a evil heathen tempt him away from his family.

It would be consistant with how he was raised and what Gothard taught people. In addition to that there may be Kardashian problems where they worry about whether they can trust their friends or will their friends sell them out to paparazzi.

• Love 1

I don't wanna pick on their little house ... I like that they are not trying to pretend they live in a mansion. There is nothing worse than dramatically overdone window treatments that overwhelm and suffocate a small room.  The little Wal-Mart grommet curtains are fine (although they need to double the number of panels on each window so they don't look so skimpy and stretched too thin when pulled shut to keep out the peepers!).  And the overwhelming neutrality of the color scheme is boring but doesn't surprise me. I'm not sure Joy or what's his name can even see color, they're so damn bland. 

The big honkin' fuse box is so close to the window I think hanging a picture over it would look odd. They should just paint it the same color as the wall so it blends in. Don't highlight it with white paint, for heaven's sake.

The thing that is really throwing everything off is the French door that has a curtain hanging over it (see the door handle peeking out?). The curtain is hanging at door level, up way too high compared to the curtains hanging over the windows. Either buy a (sheer white) curtain meant for a door or cut down the window curtain to fit - and attach it to the door itself at the same level of the other curtains, not the wall. 

And while we are re-hanging things, don't EVER hang your curtain rods on the window frames. That looks so tacky. Curtain rods should be attached to the wall. 

And maybe consider buying a lamp or two. You're not performing open heart surgery in there, ya know.

Alright, I'm done now. 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 19

We lived in south Louisiana for a long time.  We had windows and we didn't need to cover them.  We also had a/c and heat and none of that broke the bank.  Maybe they don't have a/c yet.  Or heat.  Or maybe they like privacy.  From peering eyes.  

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Lunera said:

Why is everyone so sure that this is Joy and Austin's house?  In their house, the kitchen was way over to the right side of the front door when looking at it from this view.  The kitchen was not in front of the door.  Could this be Joe and Kendra's house or even Jill and Derick's?  

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Why is everyone so sure that this is Joy and Austin's house?  In their house, the kitchen was way over to the right side of the front door when looking at it from this view.  The kitchen was not in front of the door.  Could this be Joe and Kendra's house or even Jill and Derick's?  

This is how Jill described the pictures in the post:

jillmdillard@derickdillard you’re the best papa! 
Had fun at the U of A/ @hogbcminternational “hot pot” event the other day! 
Israel helping mommy make #veganbananabread It was delish! 
#happysam 
#chillinwiththefam @austinandjoyforsythhouse

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

This is how Jill described the pictures in the post:

jillmdillard@derickdillard you’re the best papa! 
Had fun at the U of A/ @hogbcminternational “hot pot” event the other day! 
Israel helping mommy make #veganbananabread It was delish! 
#happysam 
#chillinwiththefam @austinandjoyforsythhouse

I just found this on the Lily and Ellie blog: "Joy and Austin Forsyth's fixer upper house has come a long way since we saw it on Counting On just before their wedding. Jim Bob and Michelle and most of the unmarried kids (everyone but John) celebrated Jana's 28th birthday in Australia, while the married couples got together at Joy and Austin's house, along with Kendra's family, to honor John-David's special day."

• Love 3
On 1/15/2018 at 6:09 PM, Temperance said:

I'd congratulate the kid and not the parents on the graduation. 

Also I lost quite a few people before 90 or 100 through no fault of their own.  There's a lot of luck involved in long life and I would be careful a lot of people will be easily offended on that.

I think a lot of times congratulations is used as synonym for happy. Congrats on your birthday versus Happy birthday! 

I really don't think anyone would be easily offended about congratulating someone turning 100! I attended a hundredth birthday party recently for a lady at church, and literally EVERYONE was saying, "congratulations." I had people congratulate me for turning eighteen, so what's wrong about that? No one is insinuating that only the best people live to 100, or that these people and these only know the secrets to a long, healthy life, but to me it seems a little backwards if you can congratulate someone on being born, which every person alive was at some point, but have to worry about offending someone if you congratulate someone else on living to 100. 

The point is, I agree with the poster before me who said that we do tell people "congratulations" a lot more over here than other countries do, or even makes sense. Again, I hadpeople congratulate me when I turned eighteen. The bar is set pretty low!

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Weren't Joy and Austin saying they were going to tear down a wall between the kitchen and living room and do a vaulted ceiling? I think it's their house.

ETA: unless we are finally getting a peek at the secret abode John David has been rumored to reside in. It looks boring enough to be his house!

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 3

It's really just an awful photo.

If you're going to take a picture of someone' birthday party -- even just a candid shot -- there should be some point to the picture.

It's not really a picture of JD. It's not really a picture of the group since JD, Joe, and Austin aren't paying attention. It's not a picture of the house. It'snot a picture of the food and decorations.

There are paper plates and bowls,plastic utensils and Styrofoam cups randomly littering the flat surfaces. They could have been tossed out before pictures were taken.

I'd have added bonus points if anyone actually looked like they were having fun.

If no one could be bothered to take a nice picture of this gathering, is it necessary to post a photo of the gathering?

• Love 16

I'm not worried about Joy and Austyn's house because if he is into flipping houses they probably won't be there long before he gets the itch to get another house to clean up.

He can rent it out after they find a better property. 

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 1

The problem with many house flippers, Jo & Chip being an exception, is similar to the cobbler's kids who have no shoes. If Austin is flipping houses for a living he may not care to much about his own home at the end of the day.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

I really don't think anyone would be easily offended about congratulating someone turning 100! I attended a hundredth birthday party recently for a lady at church, and literally EVERYONE was saying, "congratulations." I had people congratulate me for turning eighteen, so what's wrong about that? No one is insinuating that only the best people live to 100, or that these people and these only know the secrets to a long, healthy life, but to me it seems a little backwards if you can congratulate someone on being born, which every person alive was at some point, but have to worry about offending someone if you congratulate someone else on living to 100. 

The point is, I agree with the poster before me who said that we do tell people "congratulations" a lot more over here than other countries do, or even makes sense. Again, I hadpeople congratulate me when I turned eighteen. The bar is set pretty low!

I didn't think congratulating someone who lived to be 100 would be offensive.  I would probably congratulate someone, who lived that long. I felt that you were implying that people who lived longer did as only a result of their life choices. Good life choices probably do prolong people's lives, but a lot of people die younger through no fault of their own, and some of it is luck. 

Topic: Happy Birthday John David! Austin looks different in that photo versus the one Joy recently posted of him. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2

It looks fine to me -- and like a lot of modest mid-price house flips. The doors and counter tops look straight from Home Depot, the curtains are straight from WalMart. The room is painted a super-boring neutral shade with the contrasting white trim. There's nothing special about it, but I really don't see anything to snark about.

• Love 11