Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

36 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I can't decide who had the more depressing birthday, JD or Jordyn?

Ok. Forgive me for my ignorance ... but if it was JD’s birthday “party,” ... um, shouldn’t Jana have been there as well? Since they are twins and all ...

• Love 9
1 minute ago, cmr2014 said:

It looks fine to me -- and like a lot of modest mid-price house flips. The doors and counter tops look straight from Home Depot, the curtains are straight from WalMart. The room is painted a super-boring neutral shade with the contrasting white trim. There's nothing special about it, but I really don't see anything to snark about.

Agree, but they had a blank canvas. Any color paint, any curtains. If Joy could decide what she likes on her pizza or if she even likes pizza, we might see a tiny bit of personalty showing in her home.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

Agree, but they had a blank canvas. Any color paint, any curtains. If Joy could decide what she likes on her pizza or if she even likes pizza, we might see a tiny bit of personalty showing in her home.

I think it'sentirely possible that Joy's favorite color is beige.

• Love 19
4 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Ok. Forgive me for my ignorance ... but if it was JD’s birthday “party,” ... um, shouldn’t Jana have been there as well? Since they are twins and all ...

She's in Australia with the family so they had separate day-of celebrations. Hers' looked better. 

• Love 4

Austin should do his wife a solid and add her to the deed on the house. I just checked, and the property is still in his name only. Maybe Austin's money bought the place in its decrepit state, but I bet Joy's TLC $$$ remodeled it. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Mollie said:

Why is everyone so sure that this is Joy and Austin's house?  In their house, the kitchen was way over to the right side of the front door when looking at it from this view.  The kitchen was not in front of the door.  Could this be Joe and Kendra's house or even Jill and Derick's?  

Zoom in on the picture. "J&A."  Window panels are freshly hung, unwashed. All creased from package. The place screams "First house, young person!" 

My first place was pretty blah. We were broke and it was my first time away from home. My mom didn't decorate so I had no clue what to do or what I liked.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

I k ew something was wrong with the way the curtains were hung!! I’ve never ever seen a curtain rod attached to the window frame!! 

I wonder what the nursery will look like? 

Blue walls, blue curtains or pink walls, pink curtains. Just a guess.

• Love 6

What troubles me is that we don't really know when this picture was made.  It may or may not have been on John David's birthday.  There are (oddly) no small Duggarlings in the picture so we can't compare their sizes to other photos.  And where is Joy?  The new baby may or may not be here.  Basically, the Duggars and Duggar-adjacents show us what they choose to show us.  Beyond knowing that this is the Austin&Joy house, we don't really know anything else.

• Love 1

The grey colour on the walls actually looks very nice to me but the drab curtains combined with the too big brown leather couches destroys the room completely. It's just depressing, especially since the ceiling is grey as well. They need lighter colours to accentuate the walls, not darker ones in a similar yet different colour.

I have to ask. Is this brown colour scheme the Duggars seem to favour an American thing or a Duggar thing? Because I live in the land of white when it comes to house decorating. Walls are white, ceilings are white, lots of furniture is white. With some grey, black, natural wood and occasional accent colours like purple thrown in for decoration purposes. Can be boring as hell but at least I don't feel depressed when walking into a room.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

The grey colour on the walls actually looks very nice to me but the drab curtains combined with the too big brown leather couches destroys the room completely. It's just depressing, especially since the ceiling is grey as well. They need lighter colours to accentuate the walls, not darker ones in a similar yet different colour.

I have to ask. Is this brown colour scheme the Duggars seem to favour an American thing or a Duggar thing? Because I live in the land of white when it comes to house decorating. Walls are white, ceilings are white, lots of furniture is white. With some grey, black, natural wood and occasional accent colours like purple thrown in for decoration purposes. Can be boring as hell but at least I don't feel depressed when walking into a room.

I don't think it's an American thing so much as it's a "have no interior decorating skill" thing.  One of my adult children has a home decorated much the same way -- lots and lots of brown.  (It's their home and not mine so I stay quiet.) The grandkids have big, bright plastic toys so it cheers up the house.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Wanna bet that Jana made those curtains?

Nah, I don't think so. If you look at the window behind the sofa where JoKen are sitting, the curtain has a big crease as if it were taken out of the package  and just hung up. If Jana had made them, they would have been pressed. These look similar to curtains ( drapes) that Walmart sells.

I can't fault them for the monochromatic theme, if they are going to flip this house, buyers would rather see something neutral that they could put their personal stamp on. That house could be cute with the right furnishings and accessories.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

It's not so much an "American thing" as a "house flipping thing." I've watched hundred of hours of house flipping shows -- and I imagine Austin has, too. Rooms are painted in a neutral color like beige or light gray, and the window trim is painted bright white to "pop" against the wall color. It can look very nice if the house is decorated nicely with pictures, colorful throw pillows, fresh cut flowers, etc. to add a bit of color.

• Love 5

Real life flippers typically sell the homes bare naked and not stage them with cozy decorations of furniture at all. 

I think in a lot of typical American homes have permanent and expensive things in neutral colors, like kitchen counter tops, shower tiles, and carpets and hardwoods. Most folks paint different rooms in different colors and have "pops" of colors with pillows, art, bedspreads, curtains, area rugs and maybe furniture or 'occasional chairs'. In my area most folks use mini blinds for privacy and curtains more as a soft decoration.  Though it went out of trend years ago many folks around here still use wallpaper. I would say most of my friends homes are based in a neutral color but are far from drab or blah.

Many people are afraid to commit and take chances and are afraid they'll get sick of a color and such. A great decorating tip is to look at your favorite clothes and start from there. Doesn't help much though for folks who typically wear black. 

I say all this when my first decorating style was Early American Do You Want This, We're Getting A New One. Very eclectic. LOL

• Love 15
4 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

It's really just an awful photo.

If you're going to take a picture of someone' birthday party -- even just a candid shot -- there should be some point to the picture.

It's not really a picture of JD. It's not really a picture of the group since JD, Joe, and Austin aren't paying attention. It's not a picture of the house. It'snot a picture of the food and decorations.

There are paper plates and bowls,plastic utensils and Styrofoam cups randomly littering the flat surfaces. They could have been tossed out before pictures were taken.

I'd have added bonus points if anyone actually looked like they were having fun.

If no one could be bothered to take a nice picture of this gathering, is it necessary to post a photo of the gathering?

If you don't post pictures on social media, it didn't happen. That's the rule of the 21st century, right? 

• Love 9
On 1/15/2018 at 6:00 PM, Heathen said:

Austin is, what, 23? That is one wrinkly forehead for someone who hasn't even made it to his MID-twenties. If I didn't know better, I'd guess he was more like thirty. 

It looks like the marks on his forehead are from wearing a cheap baseball hat backwards.

10 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

We lived in south Louisiana for a long time.  We had windows and we didn't need to cover them.  We also had a/c and heat and none of that broke the bank.  Maybe they don't have a/c yet.  Or heat.  Or maybe they like privacy.  From peering eyes.  

I live in Georgia and I do.  I have family in Arkansas and they do.  I have air conditioning and I have heat.  LOL.

8 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Jana's probably sewing the bridesmaid dresses for Josiah's wedding.

6 hours ago, NotFundie said:

What troubles me is that we don't really know when this picture was made.  It may or may not have been on John David's birthday.  There are (oddly) no small Duggarlings in the picture so we can't compare their sizes to other photos.  And where is Joy?  The new baby may or may not be here.  Basically, the Duggars and Duggar-adjacents show us what they choose to show us.  Beyond knowing that this is the Austin&Joy house, we don't really know anything else.

Did anyone ever identify the little boy in the picture?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I say all this when my first decorating style was Early American Do You Want This, We're Getting A New One. Very eclectic. LOL

Alternate name for this style: Post-College I Am Poor, Thanks for the Old Furniture.

Edited by LilJen
  • Love 15
23 minutes ago, LilJen said:

Alternate name for this style: Post-College I Am Poor, Thanks for the Old Furniture.

My family’s term for it was “Early Garage Sale,” as in “you get to the garage sales early in the morning to snag the quality stuff.”  Which still doesn’t look cohesive, but also doesn’t fall apart.

For the Duggars, I suppose it might best be described as warehouse-diving?

(And I say this as someone who, at forty-something, has plenty of IKEA as well as several third-hand pieces, and, of course, items from garage sales.)

• Love 17
On 1/16/2018 at 4:26 PM, bigskygirl said:

You think he would have friends from being a volunteer constable, his construction and towing business, or being a pilot. Maybe he is not allowed to have outside of his family or family friends. I mean he cannot have a evil heathen tempt him away from his family.

No normal young people would attend that "party"....there would need to be wings, a keg, and a game on a TV.

J&A already the requisite Hobby Lobby J&A creation on their wall. Bet it was a wedding gift from another Fundie.

They should've gotten wider rods and more curtains and hung the rods on the walls.......could've covered the fuse box with pushed-over drapes. Oh well, Fixer-Upper-Wannabe Jessa only "decorates" when the cameras are rolling for a paycheck.

Is there any heat in that house? Everyone is pretty bundled up....except for the birthday boy, who is probably warm from the excitement of his party (snerk)  and beanpole Derick, who probably has an overactive thyroid.

ETA: Joy should be decorating her dorm room.

Edited by drafan
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Akso what the heck is that stuck in the middle pane of the front door? 

It looks like a cloth napkin stuck to the window, lol.

I will say I like the wall color, finishes and the wood flooring, but the lack of closet space would drive me bonkers. There's nowhere to hang coats, store cleaning supplies etc., unless I missed something.

• Love 3

They have been working on that house for more than nine months and it is still not finished.  They don't even have closet doors!  Joy does seem to be happy and optimistic about it all, though, and I'm just glad that she's out of her parents' house. 

• Love 10

It’s cute, some of the choices aren’t my taste but I don’t have to look at it everyday.

Was that a door to outside in the baby’s room? 

Could anyone tell in the opening of the front door, what’s across the street?

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 1

Gold star for Austin being the one to actually work in the house.  It’s evident that it was been a slow labor of love project. 

The dining area is so small!  I would hate to face the wall while eating. 

Joy is still very pregnant, y’all.  Also, I could have sworn she almost said something else instead of “all our stuff” when entering the master bedroom. 

I can’t snark overall. They’re very young and this looks typical for an “our first place” house. Good for them. 

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 22

I liked the home overall, but I wish they had waited to finish it before posting a video. It's so distracting to see stuff all over the floor in every room, and we don't have the "vision" of what it will look like later in our heads like they do!

• Love 3

I know for certain the guest bed was a mattress on the floor, but was the marital bed the same?   How does Joy get herself up off the floor every morning? For god's sake, people, a bed frame costs less than $100.  

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Quof said:

I know for certain the guest bed was a mattress on the floor, but was the marital bed the same?   How does Joy get herself up off the floor every morning? For god's sake, people, a bed frame costs less than $100.  

The master bed looked like a box spring and mattress on the floor, definitely no bed frame. 

• Love 1

"I'm still very pregnit."  Poor Joy sounds so out of breath, but I think when all is done, it will be cute enough.  It's too bad that half of the living room is taken up with their tools.  No garage, I guess.  I hope they finish before baby comes.  

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Temperance said:

She's in Australia with the family so they had separate day-of celebrations. Hers' looked better. 

Ah. Ok. Understood.

It is a perfectly fine "starter home" for 2 people. Add a baby ... it's going to be way too small. But I applaud them for not living in one of JBoob's properties.

• Love 13